On Wednesday, I’ll be posting one of my favorite salads, especially for lunch (since my husband would rather not eat salad for dinner and I don’t want to hear his bellyaching when he’s starving at 8:00 pm). And since every great salad needs a great salad dressing, that’s what we’re doing today!

I first made this dressing in a moment of desperation–I was in college and completely broke and salad dressing-less and had been asked to bring salad dressing to a party.

Turns out that it tastes just as good, if not better, than some of the high-priced brands and it’s easy! I think it goes particularly well with spinach, especially if you throw something sweet in there like mandarin oranges or craisins.

Yum yum yum, I can't wait to try this- I love poppyseed dressing!

Also Kate, I really think we need to post the great RAP that someone wrote to enter the Wilton giveaway! That cracked me up!

Kathryn says:

Sounds delicious! Going to try this some time. Thanks for sharing this with us.

OmiGrl says:

Congrats to Marion :)

Dayna says:

Salad dressing is so easy to make. People are always impressed with homemade dressing too :o)

Looking forward to salad ideas. I never make salad though I like it. The greens always go bad before I can use all of them.

Jones Town says:

I have this recipe and make it all the time! People love it and are suprised when I tell them that I made it. They are even more suprised when they see the ingredient list. (Mustard, onion-cuz you can't taste it.) Its just one tasty combo!

Daisha says:

Wow, that looks so simple and so good! Thanks for sharing.

Melissa says:

Sounds so yummy! Can't wait to see the salad recipe – I've been thinking lately that I need to have more stuff on hand for MY lunches…something a little more "grown-up" than the PBJ or mac & cheese than my kids are also eating! And I think my hubby would also rather I didn't use the recipe for dinner. ;)

Kathy says:

My husband is always asking for salad for dinner. LOL He likes to have something light every once in a while. My 6 year old daughters fav food is salad so I can't wait for the recipe!

Chad.Megan.Ben says:

Where do you buy YOUR green onions?? MY green onions NEVER look like that. ;)

LMcBurney says:

I love poppy seed dressing. I wonder if I could make it? I don't have a blender. Can you believe it? I did find one on overstock.com at a good price so I ordered it. I will start with making this dressing then who knows what I will make from you recipes?!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Chad.Megan.Ben–I only buy the most expensive, exclusive, organic green onions–that's why they look the way they do.

Kidding.

It's a Walmart green onion.

LMcBurney–You could definitely make it without a blender. Just finely chop the onion and then either vigorously whisk the oil in (while you pour it very slowly) or just be at peace with the fact that your dressing may separate. :)

Maria says:

I love this salad dressing. Great for salad-I love adding in fruit with this type of dressing too!

CinnamonAndSass says:

Oh yum! Poppyseed dressing is the best!

Jennifer N. says:

In Texas, our family uses poppy seed dressing almost exclusively on fruit salads – no greens or veggies allowed!

My favorite fruit salad includes peaches, strawberries, grapes, and bananas. I omit the melon that the rest of my family likes – yuck!

ginacan2 says:

You guys are amazing! You give us everything we need to know to make these delicious foodstuffs and I for one want you to know how much I appreciate your recipe sharing skills. Your format is superb.
    Thank you so very much.

Emily @ Frilly Details says:

Yum!!! Can't wait to try this!

Ruth says:

First of all, this dressing looks SO good. Secondly, I love your site! A friend told me about it a couple weeks ago and after perusing for a bit, I wanted to make everything. I've made four things so far and all were absolute sucesses. The pizza rolls were a kid favorite, and my husband was hoarding the chipolte beef taquitos. Thanks so much for sharing!

Sandra says:

I tried your buttermilk pancake syrup Sunday. Out of the four who eat syrup, 2 preferred the maple but the other two LOVED this syrup. My husband even ate extra pancakes because he just loved it. I posted a link on my blog to yours about it.

Stewart Family says:

I love this recipe. It is awesome on pasta salad!! I have substituted the green onion for a small onion and you blend it with the other ingredients. YUM!

{alisse t} says:

Just found our site thru a friend & I'm hooked! Love the easy recipes & PICTURES! Such a help. Thanks!

Dresden says:

I have a dressing almost exactly like this one that I've been using for years and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! One suggestion that my mom and I do. With the red onion used for the salad we would chop it up and marinade it in the salad dressing for about an hour before serving the salad-divine!

racheldjohnson says:

Question- dijon or yellow mustard? Would think the first- but what do I know?
    Would love a version of Rasberry Vinaigrette (although the Red Wine Vinaigrette sounds amazing!).

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Dresden–that onion trick sounds amazing! I'll have to try it next time!

Rachel–I actually just use regular ol' yellow mustard, although I'm sure Dijon would be fabulous. The original recipe actually called for mustard powder, I just hardly ever have that on hand.

Stacy says:

Okay, so I just made this dressing for dinner tonight and it's green. Like REALLY green. Was I not supposed to add the green of the onion? Yours doesn't look green. I tasted it, though and it tastes great. I'm just wondering if I did something wrong. Thanks!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Stacy–Yeah, it's probably the onion; some of them are just greener than others. If it tastes good, that's the most important thing, but if the green is bugging you, you could add a few drops of yellow food coloring to kind of even it back out.

Hope that helps! :)

Stacy says:

Just wanted to let you know this was delicious (especially along with the salad recipe.) The "greenness" didn't really bother me, I was just hoping I didn't do anything wrong! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

I made this yesterday and loved it. I was out of a few things so I used cider vinegar,dry mustard and instead of green onions, I just used some grated white onion. It worked great. I put it on a spinach-romaine salad with craisens, avocado, and candied pecans. It was a hit!

Our lifetime journey says:

This salad dressing is MY FAVORITE with Candied Walnuts, Spinach and Cut up strawberries….DIVINE…once in desperation I even used dehydrated chopped onions…and wasn't half bad!

my favorite salad with poppyseed dressing is spinach, red onion, shredded smoked gouda cheese, and sliced toasted almonds, delish. I have always used Brianna's (pricey) or Trader Joe's (next best to Brianna's) dressing for this salad, but am excited to try your poppyseed dressing with it. Thanks for the recipe!

Melissa says:

Oh. My. Goodness. This was deeeeeelicious with the salad. Thank you!

Lizzy says:

I was looking for a poppy seed dressing to go with my favorite Spinach, strawberry and almond salad. This was perfect and so easy to make! Thanks again for another wonderful recipe!

Katy says:

How long will this last in the refrigerator?

SallyK says:

I can’t wait to make this for our Sunday Family Dinner this weekend! But I have a question: Could I use canola oil instead of vegetable oil? Thanks :)

Mark Lucas says:

How long will this dressing last in the refrig.

Crystal Dunn says:

Yum! I am making this for lunch, and using it on my salad with leafy greens, strawberries, walnuts, grilled chicken, and feta cheese.

Jamie Boyd says:

I loved making the wraps that you posted with this dressing. I haven’t had them for a while and just got online to double-check what you put in them (I think it was feta cheese, chicken, maybe cranberries?), but the link to your all-time favorite salad isn’t working in this post. Can you re-post what was in those amazing wraps? Or does anyone remember?

Jamie Boyd says:

That’s the one! Thanks, Kate. I was just searching for it wrong. This wrap is one of my favorites.

Joie says:

This salad dressing is amazing! I made a batch last night and I’m already on my third salad! That being said, has anyone tried making a lower sugar version of this? Or tried using Splenda or something?? Also semi-related, you don’t have a raspberry vinaigrette recipe do you?? That’s my next favorite salad dressing!

Anyway, thanks for this wonderful recipe!!

Dixie says:

Joie, yes, when I make this dressing, I use Splenda rather than regular sugar, tastes great!

Rae says:

This is probably a really dumb question but do you use regular vinegar or white wine vinegar?

Katie says:

I really love this dressing, but I have been wondering if I should store it in the fridge or not. Thanks!