Holidays always creep up on me sooner than I expect.  Although it’s hard to forget that Valentines day is coming up with all of the paraphernalia you see in the stores these days!  We have a busy couple of weeks coming up and I wasn’t going to get the chance to re-share this fun idea so I’m going to do it today.  I had planned on making more and re-doing pictures now that I have a nicer camera, but…that didn’t happen.  Enjoy- and feel the love!  Oh- and speaking of feeling the love.  Check out Quote the Walls, they’re having this Valentines Special and you get a darling Valentine gift with purchase.  You have until the 5th!

———————————-

There’s something about putting food on a stick that makes it fun, whimsical, and just all around cooler than food not-on-a-stick, right? Sugar cookies are a Valentine’s Day staple, and this is such a fun way to take something ordinary and make it totally rock. I can’t even tell you how much fun I had making these.
This is a great idea to give away to anyone special. Teachers, friends, kids, co-workers, your favorite food bloggers… ;)

You’ll Need:
- Sugar cookie dough

lolly pop sticks:
You can find these at craft and cooking stores. They also sell them in the Wilton section at Walmart. They come in assorted sizes. See my commentary below on size options.

- Glacé Icing
(or royal icing if your that type of person)
I think Wilton even makes an icing in a tube- I saw some at Walmart the other day. You could try a product like that if you’re not up to all the work of using glacé/royal icing, that would make this project SUPER easy. Just make sure it’s the type that will dry hard.

Assorted wrapping/packaging stuff as in the picture below:
Containers, floral foam, ribbon, cellophane bags, shredded paper- all will be discussed as we go.

First thing, bake those cookies. Normally I like my sugar cookies super soft, but since these needed to stay on sticks I let them get a little more done. And guess what? I found out that I LOVE this recipe a little crunchy! Who knew. So great, so buttery and almondy, so yummy. I think I may bake half soft and half crunchy from now on!

Rolling out the dough: Roll out sugar cookie dough as normal. You’ll want it slightly thick so that it will adhere to the stick, but not so thick that it will be so heavy that the heart falls off. I made mine about 1/4″ and they were perfect. Cut out shapes and lay the dough directly on top of a stick. The stick should come about half way up the cookie. Gently press down with your fingers just a tad. The baking will do the rest.

Baking: Bake until edges are just barely golden brown and remove from oven. Cool completely.

Stick Size:
I noted that these come in several sizes. All I had on hand was the lolly-pop size, 6inches. They worked great, but when I do it again I’ll get longer sticks because they’ll give me more room to stuff into containers. However if you’re just going to wrap the cookies and give them away, a short stick is fine. Or if you’re doing little cookies, little sticks are perfect. Just think about how your finished product will be packaged before you pick a size. They also make “Cookie Sticks” that are quite a bit larger and would work for a giant cookie, how fun!

Great Tip: Now here’s a trick I discovered. With royal or glacé icing, it’s sometimes a long process because of the drying time involved. Some people bake one day, ice the next, and by the 3rd day they’re dry and ready to package. Well as soon as my cookies were out of the oven and cooled, I put them in an airtight container in the freezer. Then when I was ready to decorate the next day I took them out in the morning and starting icing them right away (while they were still frozen.) By a few hours later the cookies were defrosted and the icing was dry enough to package- and the cookies were super fresh.

Icing: I made one batch of Glacé Icing and it was plenty for one batch of sugar cookies. I divided my icing (remember, at first it’s in glazing consistancy) in half. I took one half and divided it into 3 bowls. I left one white, did one pink, and one red. That’s for the glazing. I took the other half and added more powdered sugar to make it suitable for piping. I then divided that in 3 and colored them white, pink, and red as well. I used disposable plastic piping bags. So now I have piping icing and glazing icing in all 3 colors. I used Wilton “No Taste Red” gel color (available at cooking and craft stores, also Walmart). It took just a smidge for the pink, and not a whole lot more for that brilliant red.

Doesn’t it just make you happy to look at Valentines colors? I’m feelin’ the love.

Now the fun begins! (Check out the tutorial on Glacé Icing for step by step instructions on how to use the icing.) These were just a few extras I had that weren’t on sticks. I wish I had more time to play around with Valentine designs. I’m not a pro-decorator by any means, so I was happy with my simple designs! Try dabbing on different colors and swirling the color around using a toothpick.

I think of all the cookies I did, these little mini hearts below are my favorite. They’re only about an inch and a half wide and they looked so cute on those little sticks. You could write someone’s name out, put on a little phrase, or just do plain hearts. These are perfect for little fingers. (Or big fingers, since you can justify eating more of them :)

Don’t laugh at my writing. Like how I almost forgot the “S” in Hot Stuff or combined the O and the V into one letter in “love”. Like I said, I’m not very good at piping, and it really doesn’t matter once they’re all prettied up!

Combine different sizes for a fun look.

Packaging: Leave the pops plain, or wrap in cellophane. I popped the cookies in cellophane treat bags (you get 50-100 bags for just a couple of bucks) and tied ribbon around the stick. Easy breazy and oh so cute! Perfect for handing out at the office, or to friends or neighbors. Do they even let you give out home made treats at school? Probably not. It’s too bad because all the other kids in your child’s class would think you were the bomb.

Or make a totally rad cookie bouquet. Yup, I sad totally rad. You just need a cute container- be creative! A vase, a cool mug, a cardboard box decorated with paper and embellishments, anything really. I got these little heart boxes, and the pink pails in the dollar section at Target. Cuz you know how much I love the dollar section at Target!

Method: Cut floral foam or styrofoam to fit inside your container. Cover the top with something like the shredded paper in my pictures. Then just pop those cookies in! This is when I said it would be helpful to have long sticks on your cookies. They’ll be much more secure. I didn’t have much room to press mine down. Be gentle while pushing them in so you don’t break the cookie off the stick.

And these little pails are the perfect size for a few medium-sized cookies. I gave one to my husband and one to my son since they were so patient and watched me decorate cookies all day and didn’t have any! And then I took one to another friend.

That’s it folks. So fun! I hope you guys try these, they’re a blast to play around with and did I mention how cute the finished product is? SO cute! So start planning some Valentine’s surprises!

Related Recipes:
Sugar Cookies
Glacé Icing

jenimur says:

These will be fun to make for my kids! They will LOVE it! We’ll see if I can pull it off! I might even try to do it for my VT sisters! So don’t go giving them to any neighbors!!! :)

Wifey Dessert says:

oh man!! thanks for this! can’t wait to try these!!

Jessica says:

Those are the cutest things I have ever seen! Hopefully I can find the time to make them before next weekend…I know a lot of people who would love them!

MissouriMormonMama says:

Those are so cute! I’m going to try to do those soon ( :

HoneyB says:

Gorgeous! If I am up to it this weekend I will be making my valentine sugar cookies too!

The cool family! says:

SO CUTE!!!!!!!

Kara says:

These are so cute, I think you did a wonderful job decorating them! Thanks for such a fun idea!

Malesa says:

Those are SO cute! I’m totally impressed.

becca says:

Oh. My. Gosh. SO CUTE!!!!

Kate says:

Frak! You don’t know how badly I’m already craving these cookies! This does not help!

you. are. amazing.

Where do I get the little sacks to tie them in??

Luis and Kim says:

I L.O.V.E. your blog! Don’t ever stop!

Erin says:

Pure talent. You have pure talent.

P.S. I’m making Brazilian Lemonade for a dinner party tonight! :)

creativecarryout says:

Very nicely done – great tutorial!

Thanks so much for the tutorial!! They are beyond lovely!! :)

Erika says:

So fun! I am going to make something similar next week, but make them like a flower bouquet.

Julie Pia says:

This really puts me in the Valentine mood. Thanks!

Joie de vivre says:

What a cute idea!

Sara says:

Emily, you can find those bags at craft stores, or anywhere candy making/Wilton products are sold. I’ve even seen them at Big Lots and the dollar store, but those usually have decorations on them.

I got these particular ones (which are tapered at the bottom) at Walmart. They’re by Wilton and they’re called “Treat Bags” they came in a pack of 100 for about 3 bucks.

duodishes says:

These are tooooo cute! Gosh, we don’t even want to eat them..but we will.

Talita says:

I love the idea! It’s all that I need! I’ll try this soon! Thanks for post!

Katie Tyler says:

I got a cookie bouquet when Riley as born- I can’t believe how expensive they are! These are ADORABLE! I can’t wait to make them!!

Netts Nook says:

The cookies look great. Thanks for the idea.

Bunny says:

These are wonderful for Valentines Day! Who could resist these!

finsmom says:

So cute! These would make great preschool gifts!

Nirvana's Kitchen says:

These are by far the cutest Valentines Day cookies I have ever seen!!! :)

Gabe's Girl says:

I LOVE these. Wonderful gift idea.

::Jan:: says:

Those cookies are amazing. Really a nice job.

I laughed so hard on your okra comment. Thanks so much. That made my day :) Loved it.

Yeah, those are just darling!! Wow!! I’m totally impressed. They would be great for vt sisters (or anyone)—I wonder if I could find time to make them this week…

Carolyn says:

WOW! Sara, you never cease to amaze me! Somehow I missed these on friday, so it’s late- sorry. I am totally going to make these with Jordyn on friday for her little friends, cuz like you said, everyone will think I’m the bomb lol. These are awesome!

Ciao Chow Linda says:

This would make a really nice gift for Valentine’s day. Thanks for the idea.

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" says:

These are absoluetly beautiful!!! Too pretty to eat ;)

Nathaly says:

Sara, you have SUCH a talent for this kind of thing. You should start a business. You’re amazing!

Bridget says:

Those are adorable! I found you through Makes & Takes blog.

Lori says:

I made these for my 2 1/2 year old son’s preschool Valentine party on Thursday and not only were they incredibly cute but they were delicious! The best sugar cookie recipe I have ever used for sure. And the glaze was so easy. Thank you for this! I am sure I will use it again and again.

Eunice says:

I see it!!! Awwww yeahhhh great minds DO think alike! I think yours are absolutely delectably beautiful!!!

Molly says:

These are adorable! I'm definitely going to make these for my Pre-K class. The kids will freak!!

Atticelf says:

I want to make these! I think they all look fantastic – any imperfections give them character. :)

Jamie Cooks It Up! says:

To be able to glaze….that is my quest. Thanks for your tips!

Rae Lynn and Brett says:

Hi
    I ha ve never written a commit but I am always in your blog and love all the things I have made so thansk for all the fun recipes. I have a question about the blendtec. I just bought one and I am super excited about it and was wondering if you have any recipes for the blendtec? And what all you use it for.
    thanks
    rae

Farrah says:

They are beautiful. I especially love the swirled ones!
    Great step & by step instructions.

Rae Lyn- you should have a recipe book with your Blendtec- I would start there, there's tons of great stuff in there!

hikingheike says:

You can easily make icing bottles like Wilton's by filling empty condiment bottles with your own icing. Just make sure it's not too thick that it makes a mess when you tip the bottle upside down. I used them for "icing glue" to hold sugar cubes together in a primary activity. Since then, I've used them when making these kind of glace decorated cookies. I also used them this last week to fill cupcakes. I just cut the hole a little wider and the pudding filling went through easily.

The Gatchell Crew says:

Why do you make things that look so cute that look so easy to do. I look at your blog & say I wish I could do this. I guess I just don't have enough time or courage to try. BUT I LOVE LOVE LOVE looking at the wonderous things you guys create! Who knows maybe just some day I will do more then drool over your blog & actually create one of the beautiful masterpieces you have brought to life… :)

Dana says:

OMGosh, dang cute cookies. That does it, I'm making these for my kiddos this year!

loni.sue says:

Too too cute! You guys are sooooo artistic! love luve luv them.

The B's says:

What a fun idea! Thanks for sharing.

Michele

Shay S. says:

Love these! So cute!

simply.food says:

These are amazing and sooo very cute.

Lori says:

I made these last year for my son's 2 year old class and they were beloved by all. I now make them all year with different shapes. Parents and children alike are in awe. Thank you!!!

Deni says:

I've been making different recipes from your blog every day. So far everything has turned out perfectly and just as you showed it. We're making these today!

Debbie says:

I thought that the icing was really hard to work with. Am I missing something? I read your blog on the icing, even after I thickened it quite a bit, it seemed to run when I tried to pipe it. do you know what size tip you use to do the letters? thanks.

Debbie, it definitely takes a little practice to get the right consistency. I use a 2 or 3 for piping letters, depending on the size of the cookie. You can go a little smaller than you think you need since the icing spreads a little when it settles.

OmiGrl says:

SO EXCITING! :) I made a bunch of these and finished this morning before my man gets home from work. Thanks so much for the idea! :)

Amy says:

The cookies were great-looking, and great-tasting, but on the 3rd day after making them, the icing really lost its shine and started to look a little foggy (I can't think of a better way to describe it). Any ideas about why?

Amy- it's just because you waited 3 days to eat them! lol Like most baked goods, they'll be best fresh and lose luster the more time that passes.

Tamara O says:

The last time I made these, they all had bumps on the top where the sticks were. I want to make them again, sans bumps. Any suggestions?

Tamara- sound like you either need smaller sticks or thicker dough. As a general rule of thumb, your dough should be rolled out to about the same thickness as your sticks.

Tamara says:

Me again.

Just as an FYI…wooden skewers do NOT work. Believe me, I know. Just thought I'd share!

Miss Oven Mitts says:

Thanks for the instructions! My dough is so sticky it's hard to keep the shape of the cookie. It's very frustrating! Maybe your tips will help! Thanks again!

pearse says:

do this icing dry hard like royal icing? and how do they taste-loke royal icing? or better?

pearse- click the icing link and you'll find all the details. Yes it dries hard and yes it tastes better!

John Snediker says:

I love the idea of putting them on a stick, and I think your cookies are beautiful. I am trying to come up with some good designs here are some of the ones I came up with.

Amy says:

I did a similar project for a baby shower. I used stars {the theme was moons and stars}. I baked them on sticks, iced them in blue with white sugar sprinkles, placed them in a plastic bag and tied with the ribbon that said "It's a boy". I then stuck them in a clear plastic paint can filled with styrofoam and tissue paper. This became the centerpieces for the tables. Everyone got to take a few cookies home. I made 120 of them…whew!

The Ryans says:

I was just wondering if I could pipe on Wiltons melting chocolate onto the cookies after I glaze them with the icing. Would the chocolate stick? Would it be too sweet or too much?
    Thanks!

Ryans- are you talking about candy melts? I've never piped those before, but they would stick, as long as the top of the icing is dry. I would probably suggest either glace or royal icing for easy piping.

tina says:

You made it so clear with easy instructions. Made these for nursing home and they were s big hit. Thank you thank you!

[...] a fun way to take something ordinary and make it totally rock. You can find an awesome tutorial here! And if you’re not into food on a stick you can just put them in cellophane packaging with [...]

sara wutzke says:

OMG-Wish I’d seen your tutorial LAST year…I didn’t have ‘quite’ the same result ;) Here’s mine : http://www.sexandtheknitty.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-way-cookie-crumbles.html

[…] Valentine Sugar Cookie Pops from Our Best Bites are simply adorable, and easy to make too. You just need a basic sugar cookie […]

[…] a great sugar cookie recipe and a tutorial on both glace icing and cookie pops. Make some spooky shapes and let people pick up some yum on a stick! Click here for a tutorial on […]