So…I kind of had something else planned for this post. It was slightly experimental…slightly disastrous picture-wise and didn’t taste as good as I remembered it. I was racking my brain for manly appetizers and was about to resign myself to bruschetta with “Who Dat?” toothpick banners (let’s not mock here) when, out of the blue, I remembered this easy, spicy, cheesy, completely addictive (and banner-free) dip or spread.

You’re definitely not going to be wasting your entire day in the kitchen getting this stuff ready. Probably the most time-consuming task is slicing the bread. The other thing is that it’s CHEAP! You probably already have half of the stuff on hand and the rest of it is unlikely to cost you more than a couple of bucks.

mix up some softened cream cheese, parmesan cheese, mayo, and garlic

Once it’s stirred, add in some green chilies and jalapenos

A completely optional addition is crumbled bacon, which gives it that bacon-wrapped-jalapeno-popper taste.

If you do decide to use bacon, just save a few tablespoons to sprinkle on top, and stir the rest in.

That’s it!  Spread in a baking dish and bake.

The ingredients might sound weird, and the mixture might not knock your socks off before you’ve cooked it, but once it’s hot and bubbly and cheesey, I’d love to see you try and stop eating it once you’ve started…

(shown above without bacon)

foggogs says:

Oh my goodness. If my daughter was not sick today I would be on my way to the grocery store to pick up these ingredients. This dip looks so good and I just made bread yesterday so I will certainly be trying this this weekend. Thanks for the recipe

Kim says:

OMG! Your blog has made me so fat (that's who I am blaming heehee)… I LOVE poppers, can't wait to try this weekend for football!

Kim

Devoted for Life says:

Wow, this is the first time I have checked out your site, and I love it! Awesome ideas and great pictures! If you have time, would love it if you could check out mine. A long way from yours though… Happy Eating!!

I've totally had visions of making this very thing, but never have. It looks and sounds awesome!

LollyChops says:

Hello superbowl snack, come to momma!

What perfect timing!!!!

Marcy says:

Kate, you are BAD. Thanks a lot!

Amy Glisan says:

Sounds great Kate! I will be making this to watch(more like space out sitting next to my husband)the Saints!

Lindsay says:

My mom makes a dip similar to this but with artichoke instead of jalapenos. It's totally addictive. I could eat the whole pan. We'll have to try this version next time!

ButterYum says:

Oh my… this sounds really really really yummy.

ButterYum

Kay says:

This looks awesome. Definitely going to be making them next time the kids are all here.

Chef Aimee says:

Nice! A great dip for tailgating! Go Saints! :)

LauraM says:

I made this yesterday and everybody loved it!!!!! yummy!!!!

foggogs says:

I just made this for my husband, neighbor and myself and oh my is it good! I have not been let down by any of your recipes! 4 for 4 so far and looking forward to trying more! Thanks so much.

Sabina says:

I've been making this for years. People LOVE it! Served it with lots of stuff, but Ritz Crackers are always the favorite!

Matthew says:

Made this today for a Super Bowl party. It was delicious!!! I did add a good handful of mozzarella and some extra grated Parmesan on top.

Still, excellent recipe, and it really did taste like a jalapeno popper.

Erin says:

I made this dip on Saturday and it was a huge hit! We had tortilla chips with it – yum!

Kara says:

I made this for my (small) Superbowl party and it was a big hit. I loved it, too, for its ease and tastiness.

I used all the lite ingredients and it was perfectly creamy. I also doubled the green chilis (because I'm married to a New Mexican, and it's necessary for people from NM to consume VAST quantities of green chili) and it turned out just fine and very flavorful.

Leslie says:

I made this yesterday for the Super Bowl and it was soooooo yummy! I seriously could have eaten the entire thing myself. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie says:

We made this, your stuffed pizza rolls, and the terriyaki skewers yesterday. They were all a big hit!

Rebecca says:

Told my husband about this recipe and he insisted on making it yesterday for the Super Bowl. It was so good with tortilla chips that were fresh out of the frier. It made a lot but we polished it off with a few friends. This will be made for many, many get togethers in our future. Thank you!

Katie Schultz says:

I am sold on your blog after trying this recipe out. It was the hit of the SuperBowl Party. Thank you

Katie Schultz says:

Andujar Family says:

Does this travel well? I have to drive 45 min to my in laws. Will this taste good?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Andujar family–Yep, this travels really well! You could even leave it unbaked and then cook it when you arrive at your location.

Hope that helps!

Stef says:

Are you able to freeze this after it's cooked? I made some last night and it was great, but there is a lot left over and I don't want to throw it away (or eat it all)!
    Thanks!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Stef–This is the million dollar question! :) I honestly don't know, especially after it's been cooked. The cream cheese says on the packaging not to freeze it, but I'm thinking the mayo probably stabilizes the cream cheese. However, after the cheese has been melted in the dip, it may not reheat particularly well. I'll have to try it so I can have a definitive answer because this is a question we get a LOT! :)

Amanda says:

Do not freeze AFTER cooking…not good! However, my husband and I have found that we will split a batch before making it and freeze one half of it and just eat the other half. PLENTY for us. Freezes well and bakes just fine. Can either throw in over frozen or let it thaw some.

Tiff says:

I made this for a New Year's Eve get together and the leftovers were such a hit with my family they had me make an entire new batch the next day.
    Thanks!

Katie says:

Do you think it would be okay with out mayo? I hate mayo!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Katie–if you don't use mayo, you'll need something else. If you prefer Miracle Whip, try that. If you don't like mayo or Miracle Whip, you might want to try sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.

Hope that helps! :)

Hannah says:

oh my! my cousin just sent me this site and i can't wait to try this recipe! LOVE!

Lindsay says:

Could this be made ahead? I want to make it tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I could mix it all up and put it in the fridge for a few (4ish) hours before baking. What do you think?

Absolutely Lindsay- you could even pop it in the fridge the day before and bake it before serving.

Lindsay says:

Thanks Sara!

Made this for the weekend on the campfire! Everyone LOVED it! Thanks!

shannon says:

I made this for a BBQ get together and it was a HUGE hit. I amt hinking of throwing a party this month just so I can make it again!

Kelly says:

I make this except I use fresh cut up jalapenos and add some finely chopped onion and some shredded cheddar to the mixture. I could probably eat the whole thing of it myself….but I try to use at least some self-control!!! :)

I made this today for a potluck and it went over very well! I used 1/2 of a 4 oz jar of jalapenos and would cut back to only 1/4 jar because we all thought it was pretty spicy. Some people only had 1 bite because it was too hot. Maybe my jalapenos were extra spicy!

Rebecca aka Carter's Momma says:

Delicious!! Made this for New Years Eve and it was a hit with everyone! Definetly will be making this again for my next pot luck at work!! :)

sstoner says:

Could this be made in a crockpot

Kara Joy says:

Always a crowd pleaser. This has become a Super Bowl tradition for me! Thanks again!

Nellie says:

I made this for a Super Bowl party yesterday and it got rave reviews. Because I didn’t know how crazy our friends were about peppers, I used only 4 oz jalapenos and did not add the chilis. This is definitely a recipe I will make again.

Rosario says:

I made this for the Superbowl party that was hosted by my boyfriend’s rugby team and everybody LOVED it! The guys are still talking about it, and all the girls asked if I found this from Pinterest! (I did!) I followed your recipe exactly and accidently used the hottest peppers, but still it was great! I will absolutely make this again for a party!

Cheryl says:

I’m going to make this for Memorial Day. I think I’ll make it with lots of jalapenos, I don’t want the kids touching this!!

Becky says:

Made this today, but I substituted pineapple cream cheese for the regular. It was soooo good, I loved the combination of sweet, salty, and spicy. I might eat it all myself!

[...] Dips Charleston Cheese Dip Baked Fontina Chipotles Guacamole Jalapeno Ranch Dip Chili Con Queso Jalapeno Popper Dip 7 Layer Greek [...]

abi says:

Could I microwave this instead of baking it? I have a pot lock in my class tomorrow at my college and they only have microwaves…

dawn says:

can I made this in the crockpot? how long? any alterations needed? I want to bring this to work where it will stay warm all morning?
    Dawn—- thanks

[...] had a bit of Jalapeño Popper Dip left over, so I served that on the side with some tortilla chips, but just plain potato chips work [...]

Emmie says:

I’ve been making something like this recipe for a few years and it’s a BIG hit at parties. Two things I’ve added on my own…

Save some parmesan cheese to mix with some PANKO bread crumbs to add on top before putting the dip in the oven. It will remind you of the outside of regular poppers when you eat them.

Also, this is the most important part….buy a jar of raspberry preserves, melt them down in a small pot. Put some dip in a scoop chip and then add drizzled preserves on top. I know it sounds odd but you will not believe how good this is!!!! Even those who doubted me at first said it was true!!!

Megan Parr says:

YES! THIS DIP IS AWESOME!! I am a total sucker for jalapeno poppers, and I LOVE the jalapeno/artichoke dip they sell at Costco. Made this tonight and love love love it. Thank you for a delicious, fast and easy dip!

Sarah says:

Made this in the crock pot and it was awesome….. only thing is it needs to be stirred every so often because the oil tends to go to the top. And I used slab bacon cut into cubes and cooked super crisp so it would hold some texture.But it tasted JUST like a popper…. YUM

Amanda says:

Delicious! I made this for a work event and it was gone very quickly. I used about the whole can of jalapeños and it was just the right amount of kick. I made it the night before and just popped into the oven before the event. It stayed warm for about an hour out of the oven in my pyrex pie pan.

[…] had a bit of Jalapeño Popper Dip left over, so I served that on the side with some tortilla chips, but just plain potato chips work […]