Posted in Grill, Kate, Oven Baked, Pork

So awhile ago, I blogged about my new favorite side dish. And it’s still pretty much my favorite side dish, except now that fingerling potatoes are difficult to come by, I just buy a bag of red potatoes and pick out the smallest ones I can find and it works beautifully.

One of my favorite things about those potatoes is this flavorful, garlicky/salty/tangy rosemary-infused crust that develops. Once, as I was secretly snacking on the roasted garlic crumbles washing the dishes after dinner, I was completely stricken with how fabulous the rub would be on a roasted pork tenderloin. And I tried it. And it was fabulous.
One of the best things about pork tenderloins is that they cook quickly and feel fancy, so, say you have a romantic Valentine’s Day planned with lots of skiing and canoodling and you want to cook a nice, romantic dinner at home, but you don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen. Or…say you spend Valentine’s Day wrangling children and cleaning up messes and you’re at your wit’s end and you want a nice dinner, but you’re too tired to cook. Well…lucky you…this recipe works either way! Seriously–thirty minutes, you’re done (and a good chunk of that is spent sitting on the couch while the pork is roasting). Serve it alongside some asparagus or blanch some green beans for a minute or two and saute them in a little butter and garlic and Happy Valentine’s Day to YOU.
Garlic-Rosemary Roasted Pork Tenderloin

Recipe by Our Best Bites
1 large or 2 medium or small pork tenderloins
2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 Tbsp. chopped rosemary leaves (strip them from the woody stem first)
2 1/2 Tbsp. coarse mustard
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
A few turns of freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Rinse pork tenderloin in cool water and trim any excess fat or the silvery membrane on the meat. Pat dry and place on the prepared baking sheet.
In a small bowl, combine olive oil, rosemary leaves, mustard, garlic, Kosher salt, and black pepper. Carefully rub all over pork roast, particularly on top. Place in heated oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer reaches 160 degrees. When the meat is done, remove from oven and allow to stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Now…say your instant read thermometer angered you and you threw it away and then you find yourself roasting a pork tenderloin, cursing yourself for throwing your thermometer away, then realizing a thermometer that doesn’t tell the correct temperature wouldn’t do you any good, anyway. All of this is completely hypothetical, of course. Anyway, if it boils down to the fact that you don’t have a thermometer, you’re going to have to do a little guesswork because if you overcook it, it will be tough, but you also don’t want to get sick. The tenderloin I used this go-around was definitely on the large side and I roasted it for about 25-30 minutes; the center wasn’t pink, but it was juicy and the ends were definitely done. For a smaller piece of meat, start around 20 minutes and go from there. Of course, large and small is all relative and a good meat thermometer is definitely an asset in your kitchen, so just be sure to make it known when you do find a good thermometer that you have very little tolerance for inaccurate temperature measurements…

Kelly says:

I am definitely there with the thermometer frustration! Any brands you can recommend as a "sure thing"? Love the recipe, though. Pork tenderloins are wonderfully tender. Once all this snow melts, I can't wait to try this recipe on the grill.

Splendid Things says:

I just bought a pork tenderloin last night because our grocery store had a massive after-super bowl sale. Can't wait to try this! Perfect timing~

Carrian says:

Love this recipe!

LMcBurney says:

Sounds great! I would love to see a few more pictures of the process though because I am such a visual learner.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

LMcBurney–I do have some other pictures, but let's just say that this rub on raw meat might detract people from wanting to make it… :)

olivia's mommy says:

Hey Kate – looks delicious!

I have a pork LOIN – the big one, not the tenderloin… do you think doubling the recipe would work for that?

Thanks! Can't wait to try it – i looOOVE rosemary!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Olivia's Mommy–I think if I had a loin, I might cut it in half, just so you have a higher crust-to-meat ratio, you know? One of the things I really like about this recipe is that because loins are so skinny, the flavor really permeates the whole cut of meat.

The other thought I had was slicing the loin into 1" pork chops and then just rubbing the whole chop with the mustard mixture and cooking it that way.

olivia's mommy says:

Both of those sound like great ideas – thanks! :)

sara

Wow, that looks good. I just wish garlic smelled good to me when I'm pregnant :( I guess it'll just have to wait…

Crystal says:

Man one day too late. I was looking every where for a pork tenderloin recipe just yesterday. This would have been perfect, since I have all the ingredients. I'll have to try this next time I have some pork in the fridge.

le7 says:

Would this taste just as yummy with some sort of fish or poultry? (I don't eat pork but I really like the idea of trying out these flavors together).

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

le7–Hmmmm…maybe something hearty like a whole chicken? My hubby hates fish and I hate cooking stuff nobody eats, so I'm not as familiar with fish as I should be. I also think it would be great on a boneless leg of lamb, but I don't know if you eat lamb or not.

le7 says:

Oooh that sounds yummy. I would love to try it on lamb but I'm not sure where I would buy a kosher leg of lamb.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

le7–I've seen Kosher lamb at Sam's Club (go figure, right?)

Melanie says:

I have a pork roast in the freezer and I am thinking that I am going to have to make this. It sound really good.

Lisa says:

Looks like another good recipe. Just wanted to say I made your sunrise punch for New Beginnings tonight and it was a huge hit. Thanks so much–I love your stuff!

The Food Hunter says:

thats an awesome picture of the pork loin.

Splendid Things says:

Just finished this for dinner tonight. It was amazing! The whole family loved it and even my 6 year old and my 3 year old cleaned their plates. The seasoning was perfect and it was nice and juicy in the middle. I don't have a meat therm. so I cooked it for 30 minutes and it was perfect. Thanks for the great recipe~

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Looks like a wonderful Valentine's Day dinner… I love rosemary!

linds says:

It's in the oven right now! Smells wonderful!

Jason and Kristin says:

Clearly, I made this after Valentines Day, but it was FANTASTIC! My husband couldn't stop saying how moist and flavorful it was. I discovered my meat thermometer didn't work, so I kept it in for 30 minutes and that was perfect. Thanks for another great one!

heidi nielsen says:

I must have done something wrong, and I'm so frustrated because it sounded so good. My yummy crust turned out really bitter. I'm wondering if maybe I had bad rosemary?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Heidi–My guess is actually the garlic just because garlic can become really bitter if it's cooked too long. Was the garlic on the dark brown/charred side? If so, you might just need to keep an eye on it next time to make sure it's not getting to dark (or maybe reducing the heat by 25 degrees or so). I'm sorry it didn't turn out!

sueAnn Deeble says:

Hi Kate, I am making this tonight for sure. I often have Heidi’s problem with the garlic twisting bitter. Would using garlic past it’s prime do this too? I thout I read once that garlic that has gone green in the center shouldnt be used, but every clove of garlic I find at the store is green in the center when I get it home. I don’t use the green part, or ammi just over cooking it?
      Thanks!
      SueAnn

jerarbw says:

I made this tonight and it was AMAZING! My husband said it tasted like something from a restaurant – so thanks for the great recipe! Amanda

dishinaboutnutrition says:

I think I am going to try this tonight! What should the temp read if we do have a thermometer …hypothetically speaking we have not thrown it out…yet ;)

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

dishinaboutnutrition–Go for 160. Maybe your meat thermometers are more well-behaved than mine! :)

Barbie says:

I’ve got my pork loin in the oven now — can’t wait! I have great faith that it will turn out fabulously. I’m so thankful for the oh-so-easy idea. I am in that first trimester, can’t-bear-to-look-at-or-smell-food phase and have been feeding my beloved family a diet of restaurant food and frozen pizza lately. It’s nice to feel like I’m doing something good for my family that doesn’t require that I labor long and hard (we’ll save that for 7 months from now) or get sick just to put some decent food on the table.
    I’m serving it with Stove Top stuffing (I hope that doesn’t make you cringe too hard.), because I can. Preggo, you know. (Yes, I use that for an excuse, ahem reason, for a lot of things.) Steamed broccoli/brocolli (I never know which one is right.) will finish out the meal.
    I’m fairly new to your website, girls, and I love it! Keep the great ideas coming!

Hannah says:

My 4 year old drew me a picture “as big as the whole world” to show me how much he liked this pork. I’ll definitely make this again.

Amber says:

I ran across this post and just had to comment. I LOVE my meat thermometer! It was recommended by a grilling chef on PBS. Thermoworks is the brand he likes. I went for a $20 model. I liked it so much I bought one for my mother-in-law . . now she’s hooked too! Here’s the link: http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html. Just don’t forget to turn it off! There’s nothing worse than an awesome thermometer with a dead battery. :)

Heidi says:

Thank you for the recipe! We’re having this tonight. I also do not have a thermometer – I did, for one meal, but in one of the dumbest cooking moves of my personal career, I closed the oven door on my brand new instant read thermometer for no longer than a second. When I opened the door, the thing was completely shot. I didn’t even tell my husband… just put it in the trash. That was ~$10 well spent. What a moron :)

sueAnn Deeble says:

Don’t be too hard on yourself Heidi, we have aLL done something (or more likely sometHINGS) lome that. I bet dinner was stil delicious!

Liz says:

Hello! I just found your website…what a gem of a site! Hope to access you again. I SOOOO related to the meat thermometer problems…. my last one just went out when I roasted the chicken breasts for this weeks menu to take to work. sigh…. I need to do some research on what type,kind etc. It seems like the “cheap ones” are simply not reliable…but I can’t afford the pricey ones. Any ideas are appreciated!

Matt says:

Adding on to Amber’s reply–buy a Thermapen. They run about $75 and they are entirely worth it. Otherwise you’ll keep buying cheap thermometers that don’t work. I’ve had one Thermapen for the past 8 years and it’s all I need.

michallywelly says:

Kate- I’ve made this twice now and love the results, so tasty and juicy! My problem is that both times it totally smoked up my oven and kitchen and made the smoke alarm go off. Is there a secret to containing whatever ends up burning on my pan? (the juices I guess…)

[...] Garlic-Rosemary Pork Tenderloin Garlic-Rosemary Roasted BabyPotatoes World’s Best Dinner Rolls Strawberry Spinach Salad Molten Lava Cakes Chocolate Covered Cinnamon Bears [...]

Brittany says:

Looks so good! Do you think you can cook it on the grill?

greg says:

There is a good thermometer buying guide at amazingribs.com. I purchased both instant-read and grill thermos based on “meathead” recommendations and it improved my cooking and gripping immensely.

Barbie says:

I’ve made this recipe several times, and we love it. I have also made baked BLSL chicken breasts with the mustard-garlic-rosemary-oil mixture. My newest favorite way to use this recipe, though, is on turkey. I bought a turkey breast on sale recently and was wracking my brain for a seasoning or flavoring that I already had all the ingredients to make. The only one I could think of was this one, and it was a winner. The turkey was moist and flavorful. I would not hesitate a moment to put it on a whole turkey.

Lee says:

I plan on putting the rub on the tenderloin before freezing it. I wonder if it will give it a more intense flavor. I’ll let you know how it turns out !

MDtripmom says:

I worried that it wouldn’t be very flavorful since it wasn’t marinated ahead of time like some of the other pork tenderloin recipes in your cookbook but it really was tasty and so easy! My husband was very impressed and 3 out of 4 kids downed it without complaint. Can’t wait to try some of the other variations.