Posted in Fruit, Sara, Small Bites
So often appetizers are salty and fattening.  Definitely nothing wrong with that, but this is a nice change of pace!  It would be a great addition to a brunch spread, or as finger food for a baby or wedding shower.

It’s basically a twist on a classic bruschetta.  This version involves a medley of fresh fruit that sits on top of bite-sized cinnamon toast and is then drizzled with a heavenly sour cream sauce flavored with honey and orange.

Let’s get started.  You can use any fruit you like.  I pick mostly based on color and then what’s in season or on sale.  In this case, I’m going with strawberries, mango, and kiwi (click that link for my tip on how to cut a kiwi fruit!)

You’ll want all of your fruit chopped in a small dice, and in similar sized pieces.  You can definitely do the chopping in advance; just keep the fruit covered, and in the fridge.

You can make the sauce ahead of time too.  And let me tell you, it’s amazing what just 3 ingredients can do here.  You’ll mix sour cream, honey, and orange zest.  If you need any extra moisture to get the consistency you want, just add a little of the juice from the orange.  That can be covered and stored in the fridge as well.

For the bread, you’ll want to use either a baguette or a thin french bread loaf.  I can always find both at my local grocery store.  The difference in size is shown below; the French bread (at least where I buy it) tends to be a little bit larger, and is usually a bit softer and fluffier.  The baguette toasts up a little crispier.  They both work just fine.

Slice your loaf into about 1/2 inch slices or a little thinner.

Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet (I always line mine with foil for easy clean up!) and brush the tops with melted butter.

Next you’ll sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar.  See where we’re going here?  Mini cinnamon toast!

After they’ve toasted in the oven and cooled to room temp, you’ll spoon the fruit mixture on each one.

Then give them a drizzle of the yummy sour cream sauce and you’re done!  Fresh, beautiful, and absolutely heavenly.

summerk says:

I clicked on the link and saw the Triple Churned Challenge and the bloggers involved, but I don't see where you actually vote….

Can you give any more info on that?

Thanks!

Christine says:

Ditto for post #1. I looked all over the Breakstone site and didn't see anyplace to register so that you got my vote.

Crazy Daisy says:

Yes, I tried voting -for you- as well! AND these look so yummy! Great job. I was right when I referred to you at OBB as a culinary genius today on my blog post…check it out if you want http://www.crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

Nicole says:

Same here. Your recipe looks delicious though. Maybe they will update their site soon. I'll check back later.

Lorianne says:

Want to vote but the link doesn't work for me. What should I do? This looks delicious!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hey, guys! I've emailed the Breakstone's people, so hopefully the voting will be back up and running soon! Thanks for trying, at least! :)

melanie says:

Hi, girls! This is my first time at your blog (via the Breakstone competition) and I absolutely love it! I'm a huge fan of food blogs and yours is right up my alley. I look forward to finding hidden treasures and lots of inspiration here!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Okay, voting is UP! Thanks, everybody! :)

Karin says:

Looks delish!
    I'm crossing my fingers for a fresh strawberry pie recipe from you gals in the near future!

Julie says:

I just made these last wed and posted about it on my blog. I got the idea from Annie's Eats and this recipe is sooooo good! The only difference is she suggested using vanilla yogurt. I will have to try it with the sour cream mixture. YUM YUM

Julie- how funny, I've never seen Annie's post, we must have been on the same wave length! You've got to try my sauce, it's divine!

Maria says:

Too funny, I just made something similar. I am loving the spring fruits! Looks amazing!

The Double Dipped Life says:

This looks like a fantastic twist on your Fruit salsa w/ cinnamon chips! Yum!

I voted!

Michele says:

Those do look divine! I can't wait to try the sauce. They will be on my next baby shower menu!

Melanie Charlton says:

I totally voted for you ladies!!! I'm one of your biggest fans :)

Kira says:

Good luck on your contest! I voted for you. I love your recipes and the bright, beautiful pictures of your food.

Sandra says:

This looks fabulous and I'm off to vote for y'all.

CrystalsCozyKitchen says:

Those look so delicious! These also make me want to go buy a bunch of fresh fruits!

biggerdiamond4me says:

Oh y'all will win this hands down!
    I love your recipes and love your site!!
    VOTED!, and I will vote everyday until the end!

Erin says:

I voted this morning. I'm sure I will forget to do it each day between now and then. Remind us on your Facebook and twitter feeds, and I will do it again! (I just need the prompting.)

Oh, and this recipe looks so good. Yum!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Very creative!! I tell you, the first bridal or baby shower I am asked to host or provide food for – I'm coming to your website!! :)

tmcc4 says:

I voted..not for money but because I LOVE YOUR FOOD!!!! :)
    Mandy
    I'll try to remember to stop by and vote everyday…good luck.

Barb says:

That looks delicious!! I need to make it right now…=)

orrs says:

This looks so yummy. I wanted to vote but I am from Canada so I am not allowed. :( We also don't have this brand of sour cream. Do you think a greek yogurt might work well as a replacement?

Mary Kelly says:

I've voted twice for you girls and will continue to vote every day. I read through all of the other recipes and your recipes sound the best- by far!

Christine says:

I voted!

These look so yummy and I wanted to make them for Easter brunch with my family but I checked my email and my sister sent me a note about this post and that she was going to be making them! Ha – she beat me to it! Either way, I will be enjoying them soon :)

Shauna says:

YUM! I'm making these for a brunch on Monday – thank you!

Good luck on this challenge! I'd vote but it's only open to residents of the USA. Sad face.

Julie says:

This looks just stupendous! Yum :D

orrs- You can use any brand of sour cream! Greek yogurt would work just fine as well :)

Katie @ goodLife {eats} says:

That looks delicious! Wish I could have some of that for breakfast today. Heading over to vote. :)

The Thomas Family says:

Tonight we had friends over to dye eggs with us and I made dinner. These were the appetizer and they really were to "dye" for! I voted for yall too!

I wanted to let you know that I am in love with your blog. I tell everyone I meet about it! I honestly feel like I have become a really good cook in this past year and totally owe it to yall!

liso. says:

made this for easter brunch as well, and it was a hit! … we had six adults and had plenty of leftover, so I'd probably cut up a little less fruit next time.

loved the sauce! i did add a tiny splash of OJ in it – and I would totally sub this topping on orange rolls rather than a sugar based icing – to cut the sweet a little. loved it!

Laura says:

I made this for a girl's night last night and it was a HUGE hit!!! Delic. I ate fourteen of them, I just couldn't help myself. :)

Kayla Hewitt says:

I made this for a friend's wedding shower, and everybody went CRAZY for it. The combination of the cinnamon sugar, fruit, and sour cream sauce is divine, and they're just so pretty on a platter. And the great thing is, it looks so much more difficult than it actually is. Love it!

Air Force Bratz says:

Ok my toddlers are the pickiest eaters on the planet and they gobbled these right up. Must be cuase they have sugar. Totally going on my favorite recipies list!!

Louise says:

Great recipe! I've linked to it my post, 7 Awesome New Year's Eve Appetizers at http://hubpages.com/hub/New-years-apps

Tracy says:

I am making this for my next party. We had it tonight for dinner (which was breakfast…eggs and bacon) and it was to die for. I was afraid I would eat it all before my hubby got home to eat. Thanks for this awesome recipe!

Erin says:

I just made these tonight for the first time. Oh. My. Gosh. I could have doubled the recipe and still not have had enough. I can tell I will be craving these again

Keri says:

We had these tonight with feta scrambled eggs. They were beautiful,seriously yummy, and a good pairing with the salty eggs. Easy too, because I could do most of it ahead of time. Thanks so much!

Giselle says:

These are so ridiculously good. My sister-in-law made them for a family party a while back and my mouth is watering just looking at the recipe again. My, oh my. You girls are just crazy good. :)

Rebecca says:

Should I use salted or unsalted butter or doesn’t it matter? For once I actually have both kinds in my fridge!

Lina says:

Amazing recipie but pls what is the replacement for sour cream because we do not have it in Jordan thanks for yr urgent reply God bless you

Jordanne says:

A friend of mine brought these to a party a few years ago, and she referred me to your site for the first time. Now it is the first place I look for new recipe ideas! Then, I made them for a potluck and one of my friends said that she felt like she had just stepped into the “orgasmatron” when she ate them. You girls are really that good! Thanks!