Since our baked taquitos are one of the most popular recipes on our site, Kate suggested the brilliant idea of coming up with a breakfast version!  I tinkered until I came up with something delicious and might I say, these are divine.  They’re also great make-ahead food and they’re freezer friendly so check out the end of the post for those details.

This recipe starts out with super creamy scrambled eggs.  The secret is whisking rich sour cream right into the eggs.

Add some seasonings and then gently fold the eggs in your hot skillet to scramble them.   Since you’ll be baking the egg mixture inside the tortillas, you’ll want to slightly under-cook the eggs at this point.

Remove them from the heat and add pepperjack cheese, diced roasted red bell peppers, sliced green onions, and cilantro.

Gently fold the egg mixture together and douse it with a little hot sauce

Place egg mixture on soft flour tortillas.

Roll them up, brush with a little oil and bake in the oven to perfection.

While the taquitos are baking you can whip up your dipping sauce.  It’s cool creamy sour cream, fresh lime juice, smoky chipotle chili powder and a pinch of salt.

Put it all together and you’ve got a killer brunch, breakfast, or dinner!

The tortillas are crisp on the outside and soft in the center.  The egg mixture is creamy and flavorful, and the cool lime-chipotle dip puts it over the top!

Or follow the freezer directions and keep these stocked and ready to go for a quick, yet fancy meal any day of the week.

skippynscoop says:

We made the baked taquitos last week for the first time and LOVED them! I even doubled the recipe and put a batch in the freezer.

I'm going to make these ones for the freezer too! We are always looking for yummy, filling, nutritious and quick breakfasts for our two boys.

I'm off to vote now!

simply.food says:

These look delicious and vry filling Nice click too.

These look awesome! Think I might try it with corn tortillas. I like them better when making chicken taquitos.

Abby says:

yummm i love anything mexican! your taquitos are great- I've made them several times and they are on the menu for tonight actually! i will definitely try these since I make brunch food a lot!

Christine says:

The links in this post don't come up for me to vote. I ended up using one of your older links.

The Double Dipped Life says:

I love that these can be frozen! Perfect for bringing to work with me and reheating here. I also love that they use flour tortillas. I made your baked taquitos with corn tortillas and they just split open. They were wonderful though- so next time I'll try using flour.

Paper Lady Invites says:

Mmmmmmm, someone needs to come babysit so I have hands to make this!
    -chelsey

CrystalsCozyKitchen says:

I love sour cream in scrambled eggs!

Jill's Comfort Zone says:

I love it! Never tried sour cream and eggs before! Interesting…

These look amazing! I can't wait to try them.

Kathleen says:

This sounds so good! I love the dipping sauce!

Jaimie says:

yum

Kat says:

This is sooo cool. And they're vegetarian! GREAT post.

Laura says:

Maybe I am a bit of a dolt, but what is chipotle chili powder? I am assuming that is different than normal chili powder?

Laura- yes, chipotle chili powder is different than regular chili powder. It has a really unique, smoky flavor. Look for it in the spice section!

Emily {Frilly Details} says:

Yum!! I'm totally going to make these. I love your other Taquitos and I'm sure these will be just as tasty :)

Meliha says:

What an interesting idea for bfast…will definitely try it!

–Meliha

Sarah says:

Yum! I'm going to link to my Glamour magazine blog tomorrow morning. I will use one photo, with attribution of course, and send some traffic back your way. Hope that's OK! Thank you!

Sommerluvin says:

OMG – these were SO good! I made them tonight for my husband (who loves anything with eggs) and I and they were delicious! I halved the recipe since it is just the two of us and I have 2 leftover for breakfast tomorrow. I served them with the sour cream mixture and some guacamole and they were definitely a hit! I'm putting your regular cheesy chicken taquitos on my menu for this week! Oh yeah – I went and voted for you too! Good Luck!

Kamie says:

Do you roast your own red peppers for this recipe? I too was thinking you should do breakfast taquitos for a long time and even thought about suggesting that. I waited too long. I am so glad to see this recipe on here.

Fulkerson Clan says:

silly me forgot to pick up the pepperjack cheese when i was at the store so i substituted cheddar instead and that worked really well! very yummy recipe and i roasted my own red pepper under the broiler and that worked well too. thanks again best bites for always answering the question for me of what's for dinner :)

Jenny C says:

I've been wondering for a while now, but I'm not sure where to look… did you guys end up winning the Breakstone's challenge?

No Jenny, we didn't win :(

Laura says:

I am obsessed with these. Obsessed. Make them all the time. :) That dipping sauce is just too much for me. But I have a few questions:

I am making these for a baby shower, but have had issues with the freezer directions in the past. When I freeze them, they all stick together and I can't break them apart before baking. But aren't they not supposed to be touching when baked to get all crispy? Also, if I bake them without defrosting, my ends burn before the centers are hot enough. Any suggestions?

Laura- so glad you love these!

For the freezer, you need to flash freeze them first. That means you place them on a cookie sheet or something, NOT touching each other. Let them freeze first (it should just take a few hours) and *then* place them all together in a container or bag or something. If they're frozen first, they shouldn't stick together.

For the baking problem, I've had that happen sometimes too with similar foods. My only suggestion would be to let them thaw first (partially or completely) in the fridge before baking.

amy says:

I know this is a late response, but I LOVE these taquitos! I wanted to add that my edges burn too, so I just line my baking sheet with foil, and then I fold it up so that it just covers the edges of the taquitos. The way you might do around the edge of a pie crust. It seems to help.

Laura says:

Thank you, Sara! I love how quickly you guys answer questions. I wasn't sure if letting them defrost would make them soggy, but I am going to try it with the batch I froze together by accident. :) THANKS!

S says:

I just made these and they were fantastic. All of my coworkers are trying to trick me into leaving my leftovers at work! Also the flash freezing tip was great, it worked like a dream. I made these using lots of Cholula and extra lime juice in the sauce because I'm an addict too! Thanks so much.

The Double Dipped Life says:

I made these yesterday and they were/are fabulous! I froze them after baking, to bring to work and heat there. I didn't add the peppers, but will add some more spice next time. My 4yr old daughter helped me make them, and she loved them too! Thanks!

Diana says:

We love these! My husband has me add sausage to his batches. I used some leftover Italian sausage from the lasagna recipe and he said they were the best batch yet!

Esther says:

You people never cease to amaze me with your recipes! I think this one is perfect as I only have one teen to feed in the morning and need something filling but not to have so much to where he cannot eat the whole thing. Wonderful.

Will also make the homemade flour tortillas. "DROOL"

queenskitchen says:

You never cease to amaze me with your recipes. I absolutly LOVE your blog. This one is perfect!

Nightfall says:

Green onions do funny things in the freezer, so leave those out and add fresh when you are ready to eat them! Yum!

Erin says:

I HATE eggs, but I really liked these. My husband loves eggs, so I made these for dinner for him and the kids. I was going to make myself something different, but I decided to take a bite just to try I and actually liked it. I would actually eat them again, which is a lot coming from an egg hater. My hubby LOVED them and immediated asked me to make more for breakfast later in the week.

Anupa says:

Hi Sara, how do you roast the red pepper? These sound great!

Carrie Overman says:

Hi Sara! Have you seen the new Breakstone’s “Zesty Blends” Chipotle Sour Cream? I just made these using it… YUM!

[...] sour cream or salsa.Bacon and Egg TaquitosAuthor/Source: Heather @ Onceamonthmom.com; adapted from Our Best Bites Ingredients: 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled2 teaspoons olive oil12 medium eggs0.5 cup sour [...]

Ava says:

These are so tasty. My husband and I loved them this morning. Thank you!

MaMaLaLa says:

Have to say I made this and it was amazing. I added way more lime to the sauce as well as used chills in adobo sauce (1 tsp) to up the heat. Everyone in our family loved them. Going to make them for our breakfast/brunch party for our 2 yearold. :)

Stephanie says:

I know this has been posted for a long time and so I’m not sure if my question will be seen but I’ll give it a go…Do you have any experience just popping 1 or 2 into the toaster oven directly from frozen? Trying to figure out if they will work as a grab-and-go breakfast – maybe not if it would take 20+ mins each time you wanted to heat up a single one?

The chicken version of these were the recipe that first brought me to your site a couple of years ago. Since then we have made an outrageous number of your recipes and loved every single one without exception. Have sent many friends asking for recipes your way – I’ll take the opportunity to say thank you!

I made these this weekend while entertaining Brigham Young University’s Ballroom Dance Team. There were a hit! Perfect for the protein-rich breakfast we were looking for. You two continue to amaze me with how you can come up with such terrific recipes. Thanks so much!