We all know that when life gives you lemons you make lemonade, but what about when Costco gives you limes?  (You know, like after you give them your credit card…)  And what if the limes are the size of your fists?  I found myself in this predicament last week.  So I started off with  Chili-Lime Mango Chicken and Brazilian Lemonade. And of course I made a couple batches of my favorite Lime-Cilantro Dressing.  We drizzled that over big salads with strips of Taco Chicken.   It wasn’t until I got down to the last couple of limes that it dawned on me that I haven’t shared one of my favorite recipes with some of my favorite people (you!)

I love this bread.  It’s close enough to a traditional banana bread that everyone loves the flavor.  Yet it’s just different enough that people always say, “Wow!”  It’s especially great for functions where you’re asked to bring a bread (I’m imagining brunch with friends, church events, etc.) and you know everyone will show up with the same 3 kinds.  This one is definitely a stand-out.  It’s a sweet banana bread laced with a little coconut and then drizzled with a tangy lime glaze.

You don’t stray far from the normal routine here.  Beat the sugar and the wet stuff, then add the flour and the dry stuff and then dump in some coconut.  Do you like how straight-forward that is?

Once your batter is in your baking pan you sprinkle some extra coconut on top before popping it in the oven.

This creates a great crunchy texture on top, adds flavor, and makes it look extra fancy :)

But that’s not all.  While that bread is cooling for a few minutes you’ll whip up the sweet lime glaze and then drizzle that on top.

Since the bread is slightly warm still the glaze just kind of melts over everything, coating the coconut and sinking into the cracks and crevices on top.

Seriously people.

The best part is that it’s not just gorgeous and drool-worthy on the outside.  The inside is super soft and moist and the glaze just gives a hint of lime with every bite.

CJ says:

YUMMMO! I can't wait to make this! It looks delicious. I have an event to bake something for on Saturday and I think I found what I'm making. Thanks!

tmcc4 says:

O I can't wait to try this recipe..it looks so scrumpticious ….I have voted everyday but out of all of them I have missed three so I hope you can forgive me..I have been trying first thing in the morning to remember….I love your blog so much and would find it a blast if you would visit mine..way different from yours but I think fun to look at lol! http://tmcc4.blogspot.com…have a great week everyone :)
    Mandy

shelleyjanae says:

I LOVE this recipe. It has been a favorite of mine for a few years now… I was very hesitant to try it at first because I am a believer that banana bread should never be without chocolate. But once I tasted the lime/coconut/banana combo… I was converted. Mmmmm.
    And I have used orange juice instead of apple juice.
    I hope my bananas turn brown REAL soon so I can make some.
    Love it.

simply.food says:

This cake looks delicious I love the coconut and lime combination.

Ciao Chow Linda says:

I'm still looking for ways to use up coconut leftover from Easter and your recipe is another great way.

Sharlene says:

This looks so delicious! I love the idea of a lime glaze atop the banana and coconut flavored glaze. I may have to make this the next time I have ripe bananas, or perhaps for the bake sale this Saturday!

ForPete'sSake says:

Sweetened or unsweetened coconut or does it matter? I prefer my breads not to be icky sweet, especially with the glaze added to this one, so am wondering what you recommend. Looks yummy and a nice change from my standard banana bread.

BranFlakes says:

Oh my goodness, my mouth is watering right now. I NEED to try this recipe!

Nancy KV says:

Sara – Can I just tell you how funny your post is? Last weekend I hosted a girl's night with a Mexican theme. I made your awesome recipes for taco chicken and tortilla soup. I used 9 limes from the grocery store, but needed a few more…well, I had to go to Costco anyways…you know the story…while I still used 6 of the limes from Costco, I still have 20 more!!

I CAN'T WAIT to try this recipe. You and Kate have converted me to the deliciousness of lime!

Diana says:

Do you think apple cider will work okay? I've got some that needs using up! This sounds great for a bake sale this week!

ificould says:

I'm not usually a big fan of coconut- but lime & coconut? Delicious!!

seriously people. . .

Sara, wow. This looks so good. Mmmmm. . . coconut and lime – my two favorite spring flavors.

Meliha says:

Looks like a good one!
    How about a red velvet cake/cupcake recipe? :)

–Meliha

ForPetesSake- I just use sweetened flaked coconut from a bag. You could use either. The bread itself isn't overly sweet so the glaze isn't overkill- (in my opinion!)

Diana- Apple Cider is totally fine. Honestly, just about any liquid will work. The original recipe actually calls for rum, but since I don't have alcohol around I sub it out. I've used milk, juice, extra sour cream, apple sauce etc. Really, anything works!

Maria says:

I love the lime glaze!

Julia says:

I love all of these ingredients…and together, drool worthy is absolutely accurate!

amber says:

ooh, this looks delish! and i've got bananas waiting! now to get some limes . . . ( :

Olivia says:

Oh I will have to make a gluten free version of this…SOON! Easy peasy, LIMEon squeezy! Thanks for this! It looks and sounds SO delicious!!

ForPete'sSake says:

Thanks, Sara. I didn't mean to imply that the recipe sounded "icky sweet", just wanted to make sure I didn't use sweetened by mistake if you didn't intend it. :-)

Adding this to my recipe "to do ASAP" pile on the kitchen counter, as I do most of yours. It's a big pile…

HWFA says:

Sara,

What perfect timing … I have that same bag of limes from Costco sitting in my fridge right now!

This looks perfect!! Can you tell me what kind and size bread pan you used? Love the look of the finished product :-)

Thanks again!!

mary beth says:

Sara, thanks for reminding me of that banana bread. I haven't made it in quite a while, and it had been a favorite of ours since it was originally printed in Cooking Light mag. Looking forward to making it again this week to use up my "brown banana stash"!
    Mary Beth

Sharron says:

Wow, what a lime . . wish my Costco would get those in here!! If you still have some around, zest them. It makes so many yummy dishes and I don't even know if you can find lime zest to buy. If you can, I'm sure it's gold plated.

Bekah4321 says:

This bread is spectacular. I can't believe how wonderful the flavors are together. Honestly, when I first read the title I thought it sounded kinda weird. I made it Gluten Free last night for our family and couldn't have been happier. I posted it to my blog and linked back to you.

thanks for another great recipe!

Lori says:

I can go for coconut any time of year, but the craving gets especially strong in the warm months. :) This looks so delicious and I happen to have some bananas that need to be used up right now.

Sweet Relief says:

we love banana bread and muffins and I keep buying lots of bananas thinking we'll end up with some extra ripe ones but my kids end up eating them all still. I think I will hide some so I can make this recipe lol

KarenAZ says:

This is my favorite banana bread recipe. It also freezes great without the glaze, just glaze after it thaws. yumm, i need banana bread

Lisa says:

MMMM this was so good, I didn't have limes so I used lemons but it still was great! SOOOoo moist. I love the toasted coconut on top–thanks for sharing all these delicious recipes!

Alison says:

This bread is really good! I love how moist it is. Note to self: Add 10 minutes to baking time if you use a glass Pyrex loaf pan again! =) Although I wasn't happy about the extra 10 minutes I made myself wait, it was worth it! Thanks!

The Kelley Family says:

This sounds amazing!!! We love banana bread and coconut and the lime glaze sounds like it would go perfectly!!! Also, we voted for your blog! Good luck!

Margaret says:

Love your site. Pictures are amazingly descriptive. I have seen some recipes for bacon jam. Do you have one that you like. It sounds good, but the recipes are very different and don't know which one to try. Peggy in Lake Charles

LeBeau Family says:

So, there I was completely humiliated at the fact that our totally shy neighbor had come over to our house to tell us that for the last couple of days our kids had been chucking rocks over the fence at their parked cars. I clicked on OBB and there it was as the daily post…the perfect peace offering. It worked like a charm. Coconut/Lime banana bread. It was way more gourmet and impressive than a simple batch of chocolate chip cookies, right? Thanks so much!

Prudy says:

Just popped these in the oven as muffins. Can't wait to try.

Marcy says:

My niece, a TV news anchor, is planning a 'Run for the Roses' Kentucky Derby party for 100 on May 1. The challenge is Kentucky-inspired finger food.
    All I've come up with is a thought for dessert – mini bourbon pecan pies, perhaps in phyllo shells? Thinking of dropping a semisweet chocolate chip or two at the bottom.
    I adore your website and emails. I posted my own photos & tips on NavyforMoms.com with your fabulous apple-pie-in-a-jar; made me famous with other corpsman moms! http://www.navyformoms.com/group/carepackageideas/forum/topics/cake-and-pies-in-a-jar-links
    Thanks and wishing you the BEST!
    Marcy Tankersley Scott

Diana says:

I just made this recipe earlier in the week and it was so delicious! I even linked to your site on my blog so my friends could enjoy it too! Thanks for another winner. I love your site!!

Diamond says:

I made my own Gluten Free version of this and it was FABULOUS! Mine made two loaves and the were GONE is less than 2 days. There are only 4 of us, and two are little kids. Guess who ate the most.

Next time I am going to try using lime juice and lime flavoured yogurt IN the bread as well as on it. Shared a link to this recipe with my gluten tolerant family, and shared my variation with the gluten free members.

Anissa says:

I'm going to give this a try with coconut oil in place of the butter. I wonder if white whole wheat flour can be used in place of all purpose flour too???

Hopefully it will turn out. :) Experimenting is always an adventure.

Thanks!
    Anissa

Anissa says:

Thanks for a great recipe! I made some modifications and it still turned out fantastic. I posted it on my blog with links back to you.

laniebp says:

I just made this today and it was soooooo scrumptious! I had some macadamia nuts on hand and added those. I was planning on eating one slice and could not leave it alone. the lime glaze was so good on it. It just hit the spot!

Ryan says:

Just made this today, turned out great! My new favorite banana bread recipe – thanks for posting!

For the Love of Fashion says:

So i am in the middle of baking this right now, and It wont bake in the center??!! I have had it in the oven for about 1h30m at 350f in a 9×5 so I don't know what the deal is?? And suggestions??

For the love of fashion- no idea! That shouldn't happen so you may have had an error in there somewhere. Hopefully it still tasted good!

Julie says:

This was so yummy. Thank you! The lime glaze was just the perfect touch.

Margery says:

Love this recipe! One of my all time favorite breads!

camie says:

Mine is in the oven right now! Can’t wait to try it.

Melissa E. says:

positively scrumptious. i had three slices before breakfast. thank goodness i’m preggers and therefore have the metabolism of a 16 yr old boy. :)

Teresa says:

Just finished my secret piece, I didn’t want the kids to see me eating it because I knew they would beg me for some too. This is awesome. So yummy and moist with the lime glaze sooooo good. My husband even asked if he could take some to work at the next work party. I agree with one of the other readers about the Pyrex needing a additional 10(ish minutes.) No biggie.

Aubri says:

I got an email from cookinglight.com today that had all of their banana bread recipes and I saw this one….and I thought…”haven’t I seen this on Our Best Bites?”. So, I had to come and see how you modified it. I wondered if it really needed the rum, but looks like everyone loves it without. I have some over-ripe bananas that need to get off of my counter…I’m so excited to try this :)

Tina says:

Delicious! I made these today in muffin form – love the easy grab and go. I made them a little healthier. I used white whole wheat flour, coconut oil, fat free Greek yogurt and cut the sugar to 3/4 cup. I also chopped the coconut up a little in the food processor to try to hide it from my coconut-hating husband! They are so moist and tasty! The kids loved them. Thanks for another great recipe.

Kerry says:

Delish!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Julie says:

I love lime, coconut and banana. But my husband and I both decided that the lime flavor completely over-powered the banana and coconut. Next time I will either use coconut or banana flavoring in the glaze, replacing the lime juice with milk or water. Used only 3/4 c. of sugar. Instead of baking in a 9×5, I divided the batter into 3 small foil pans, baked for only 50 minutes.

Laura says:

Just came out of the oven! The lime glaze is bowl licking, finger licking, awesome. I’m not saying I did. But maybe I did.
    Sending the link to my sis now…

nicole says:

I received some funny looks when I told my husband and daughter what I was making. They didn’t think it would be good. My husband was disappointed that I wasn’t adding chocolate chips. Well, come dessert time, it was getting rave reviews. My husband said there wasn’t a need for chocolate chips and my daughter (5) give it a 10. Can’t wait to try more recipes. Thanks

Lindsay says:

I love your blog, and I feel so weird that this is my first comment. I have been working my way through all of your recipes and haven’t yet found one I don’t like. They’re all winners. And my husband is LOVING this trend… Anyway, I just made this bread and it was delicious. I only had whole wheat flour, but it still came out great. I did add a little extra baking powder and a heaping helping of the soda to help out. Hope you don’t mind. I always get annoyed by those people on allrecipes who rate recipes a 5-star and yet they completely changed the recipe!! Anyway, I can’t wait to get your cookbook– my mom bought me one at one of your book signings in Houston, so I’m VERY excited to see it!!

Arika says:

Oh my this looks so delicious! Even my 4 yr old is excited to bake this today!

Lauren says:

For the love of Fashion: Could you have put too much batter in the pan? Because that’s exactly what I did. I didn’t know you were supposed to only fill the pan about half (or a little less) full. I’m such a klutz in the kitchen!!

Sara & Kate: I love your site!! My sister just told me about it and I have been on it constantly. Your way of cooking is so simple, which is good for me. I feel so overwhelmed at times at all the meals I have to prepare for my family and you two just put me into a “zen” place where I feel like it’s manageable and can actually be really fun to be in the kitchen! I have enjoyed cooking and baking much more since I discovered your recipes. Thanks again so much for sharing your talents!

Linda says:

LOVE THIS! Tweeked it a bit. Used vanilla agave nectar (http://lovingsuperfoods.com/rawfood/vanillaagavenectar.html) in place of the sugar and vanilla. Added cinnamon. Used coconut milk instead of the milk. I used unsweetened coconut flakes (bobs red mill) and created a glaze with vanilla agave nectar, coconut milk and powdered sugar. it turned out amazing, didnt last a day. Thanks so much for the great recipe and the inspiration. Loved all the photos you added and the explanation too! Making my second loaf right now.

Marcie says:

I have to start out by saying that I don’t usually like banana bread, but I made this recipe because I had a few overripe bananas and had to bring bread to a brunch this morning. The coconut and lime flavors combine so nicely with the banana that even I thought it was delicious! I received lots of compliments at the brunch, and ended up sending the recipe out to my mom’s group – with a link to you of course!

I used apple cider instead of juice, and key lime flavored yogurt instead of plain. I also baked it in one 8 x 4″ pan and one soup can (because that’s what I had) and it only took 45 minutes. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

ruacatlover2 says:

I love this bread! I discovered this recipe back in 2004 in the Cooking Light magazine. I was sitting in a doctors office thumbing through, convinced there couldn’t possibly a “Light” recipe worth trying, while I waited for what seemed like hours and there it was. As a few people have said, the combination sounds weird. But I jotted down the recipe and tried it later. It is fantastic! I have made it many times over the years and every time it turns out great.(which is amazing because I’m at highish altitude and I rarely find a recipe that works without modification.) Anyway, I’m glad you found this recipe too.

Jody says:

I tried this and it was truly marvelous….every BITE as good as it looks! It was so easy and looked and smelled wonderful. It seems with the apple juice and yogurt options it is rather healthy, too! My family loved it. One of my daughters has made some things from your cookbook that she also loves. We will check back often!!! Such a great site! I took some pictures and posted the recipe on my blog with a link back to you and this page!

Amanda says:

Yummy! <3

lexnfil says:

I made this the other night. I don’t have a 9 x5″ pan as suggested I put my batter in 2 small 8 x 4″ pans. I don’t think it came out right lol. My bread was kinda doughy and cakey for the first hour as suggested for cooking time. I figured my oven needed a little more time I cut into one loaf pan the first check, then sliced into both loaves thinking they were done the second check lol. OH! I was probably nervous making this for the first time. Finally, it cooked all the way with an additional 20 – 30 min (lost count)…it came out tasteless, a little dry and moist at the same time. I went wrong in several places I know, but any direct advice in areas that you suppose would make the best difference the next time I make this would be great! Thanks. Going to give it another try tonight. Practice makes perfect! :)

jesseca says:

Can you substitute coconut extract? I love the taste, but have a hard time with the texture…

Jesseca says:

I used your recipe as a base today, and boy is it AMAZING! Thank you SO SO much for sharing. I love your cookbook, and heard that you might be coming out with another?? If you are ever in Utah, I’d LOVE to meet both of you! You are an inspiration to me. I love your food, and your blog! Thanks for keeping it going!

Lisa says:

WOW!! Major WOW!! I love banana bread, coconut, and lime, this is beyond FANTASTIC!!!! There are no words for this recipe other than…AWESOME! Thanks very much for sharing!! I will be making this many times again :)

Kelly says:

I am trying out this recipe right NOW! only 15 more minutes….. it smells soooo divine. Thanks for the recipe! I am a coconut fiend. yum!!!!!

Jackie says:

Made this last night and it turned out wonderful! The lime glaze on top was just the right amount. I made two smaller loaves and cooked them for 50 minutes using foil for the last 10 minutes!

barbie says:

I am so glad to have found this via Pinterest. I lost my Cooking Light recipe and love this bread!! Thanks for posting.

mariana says:

I made it yesterday and it was amazing! Thank you Sara.

SwissMissMama says:

Wow — this is to-die-for great! Never paired coconut and lime with banana bread but it was a wowzer! Husband LOVED it! Only thing I changed was 1 cup sugar to 3/4 cup sugar and it was just as sweet! I made 2 smaller loves and they were both perfect! Thanks!

Ionela says:

It taste so nice, but I have only one remark: mine it was not so brown like yours. Do you know why?

Ani says:

This morning I intended to freeze my abundance of really ripe bananas because I could not face another batch of banana bread. Then I happened upon this recipe. Oh My, YUMMY!
    I frequently bake large amounts of muffins to keep in the freezer for easy snacks and this recipe has made the rotation. I used white wheat flour. I didn’t have any limes or lime juice so I used lemon juice and a drop of Doterra’s lime essential oil. So delicious! Moist and wholesome tasting with an edge of limey sweetness.
    I love the new inspirationed version of an old favorite. Thank You!

Haidi says:

I made this twice now and it is really good. I have used the apple juice and last time I didnt have any so I used orange juice , both work well. I also greased as well as dusted the loaf pan with flour. I find it helps the bread rise up the sides better. Just be sure to tap out all the extra flour. Also wait longer then it says to drizzle the glaze . If not it will melt it too much . I found the bread to still be too warm , wait at least an hour I say.

Heather says:

I have 4 kids, a husband and bro & sis-in-law in our home – We all LOVED this recipe – but typical of me, I made a few changes. First I used 3/4 Whole Wheat flour to 1/4 white, and also added 1 Tbs ground flax for each recipe. I cut the total sugar by 1/4, and used 1/2 brown and 1/2 succanat (dehydrated sugar cane – has nutrients of plant). We love the flavor of coconut, but not the texture, so I took out the coconut and replaced the apple juice and sour cream with coconut cream. And the glaze wasn’t limey enough for us, so I added the zest of the lime I squezed. I made 4 batches so had 2 loaves and 24 muffins – they were gone in 4 days, and only lasted that long because I limited the kids…Thanks for the great flavor combo!!

Kathy Henderson says:

I made this recipe the day I saw it on FB. Yummmmmmmmmm. This IS my banana bread recipe forever. Thanks for sharing!

Carly says:

I hate to say this, but mine looks better than yours. :) It turned out awesome.

[...] is my Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze, from the recipe on Our Best Bites that I found on Pinterest the other day. Lucky for me, I had [...]

sara wutzke says:

Yum! I recently found a nutty coconut banana bread that I just love…but adding a lime glaze?! Hello! I have a girlfriends weekend coming up and I’m in charge of breakfast-guess what’s on the menu now?!

Gina Yetzer says:

How do these freeze? I’ve got a bake sale coming up and if I can make these ahead of time that would be lovely….

Julie says:

Made this tonight and it killed. Thanks so much for an awesome recipe… and the detailed instructions that make us non-bakers look like pros. You guys are awesome.

Barbara says:

This sounds stunningly delicious! But where did you get the darling blue and white bread pans shown on the coconut-lime sugar scrub page? SO cute! I’m going to World Market in Orlando on Tuesday, so I’m hoping that’s where I can find them!

Lyn Rae Blizzard says:

I made this last night and it is wonderful. I replaced the apple juice with fresh lime juice and added 2 tbsp. lime zest to the bread. Delicious!

Mollie says:

I have never commented on anything before but this bread is so delicious!!! I’ve already eaten two pieces:) the only thing I’m not sure on is how to store this or transport without the glaze getting ruined… Please help and thank you for a great recipe!

Elizabeth says:

We LOVE this banana bread! My husband devours it & my 2 year gobbles it up too. I wanted a way to make this bread more portable, so the birth of coconut banana muffins with lime glaze! I made 18 normal-sized muffins (weird number I know) & baked them for about 20 – 25 minutes. Then I laid out a piece of parchment paper, set up my cooling racks & used the whisk to drizzle the glaze over the muffins. This way I don’t have to scrap hardened glaze off the counter! Hope someone else can enjoy them this way!

Christie says:

Wow, oh wow! I just made this bread in mini loaves for a church function. Of course, I had to keep a small loaf to taste-test. It is delicious! I followed the recipe exactly, and I am sold on this bread. It is the best banana bread I have ever eaten. Who knew? Coconut, lime, and banana truly make a delectable bread. Thank you for this amazing recipe!

Cassie Hurst says:

Have you ever made these into muffins instead? I wanted to try but have no clue what the cook time would be since banana bread can be so hard to judge on cook time anyway I think.

Maureen Steenwyk says:

I’m so glad I pinned this! Made it today and it looked just like your picture and tasted so delicious! Thanks for the recipe! It will be the only way i make banana bread from now on.

Nope, you’d just have to eyeball baking time.

Mini says:

Hi Sara, I love so many baking recipies of ” our best bites” . My only problem is I can’t use eggs! Can you give me some ideas on how I can substitute eggs in cheesecake , cake and quick breads?

Janna says:

This is my very favorite banana bread recipe! I have been making for a couple years now, love it! I love all things lime, so this really hits the spot :) thanks for a great recipe!

Holly says:

I’ve made this about 3 or 4 times and I always have a hard time getting the top of the bread to bake all the way through. The sides start to get overdone and the top of the bread is still mushy with a toothpick not coming out clean. Would you suggest moving the oven rack up one from the middle? Or increasing oven temperature? I have it in the oven now at 360 but I’m still having the same problem. I love this bread but I don’t know how to get the middle top part of it to bake all the way?

Strange- I’ve never had that happen. I would cover it with foil toward the end of baking, like you would with a pie- with the middle cut out of the foil. I do that with other breads if the middle isn’t cooking and it usually helps.

Jeanette says:

Seriously the best banana bread I have ever had!

Martha says:

Love the coconut bread. One of my favorites. I did it allitle different. I grated the dry coconut and water. Squeezed the coconut leaving the coconut juice.

Erin says:

This sounds amazing- I want to make it ASAP! Only prob, my hubby has wheat issues. How much oat flour would u suggest I use to sub the wheat flour? I know it isn’t 1:1. Please help!
    Thx!