One of my very favorite things about this time of the year (aside from the weather being absolutely amazing in Louisiana right now) is that produce is starting to get cheap. Gone are the days of rubbery, $7 watermelons and tiny, juiceless limes. Like those rock-hard, $2 each mangoes that stared at me all winter long, mocking me while I longed for this or this. But now. NOW. Those mangoes are luscious and juicy and 3 for $1. (Need help picking out a good mango an figuring out what the heck to do with it? Click here.)

Now…I could eat regular pico de gallo with a spoon. And I am not kidding. I kind of sometimes pretend it’s gazpacho and forgo the chips altogether. This pico de gallo has EXACTLY the same ingredients, only substituting mangoes for the tomatoes, and it’s a completely different experience.

My husband thinks if salsa doesn’t come in a jar and taste vaguely of ketchup that it’s not worth eating. However, he LOVES this stuff. I think HE would eat it without chips (and probably does when I’m not watching). I love it, too–there is something so yummy about salty, spicy mangoes. This is a perfect little snack for all those upcoming poolside parties.

It also makes a great garnish on salads and chicken , steak, or fish tacos (coming soon to a favorite cooking blog near you).

Taylor says:

this looks so fresh and yummy!!

Kim @ Frost Me! says:

yum! I have never tried it with mango… might have to take the plunge!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

KimberleyBuckland says:

I am the same way with pico de gallo, I will forgo the chips and just eat it with a spoon. This mango version looks delicious. I'm definitely going to have to try this when the mangos here are looking better :)

Tammy says:

I love pico de gallo! I made some recently, and I happen to have cilantro and a mango – I think I'll make some for tonight! YUMMY!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Kim, you totally need to. I was too scared to try it until not too long ago, but I love it!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Confession time: I have only ever bought ONE mango in my lifetime. I thought I knew what I was doing when cutting it, but it turns out the dang thing probably wasn't ripe yet because it was ROCK HARD!! I could barely get me knife into it and we threw it out. I've been too afraid to buy another one since that. Any tips for picking one out?!? I do like them (as does my toddler) and I'd love to try recipes like this.

Washington Southworths- read this!

Ripe mangoes feel similar to ripe avocados. They are firm, but with a little give when you press your fingers into them. If they're rock hard then yes, not ripe at all!

LollyChops says:

YUM-O! This looks delish! RonChops and I bought a ton of mangos the other day (same deal that you got 3 for 1). I so do love spring and all the fresh produce that's coming out now!

Thanks for the recipe girls!

Jaimie says:

Ooo that looks good. Pico is one of my favorite things, so I think I might like this.

Meladie says:

I rarely comment on here, but I just had to tell you guys how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE your website! I have made so many things from here and I've never been disappointed. Ever. You guys are great! Thanks for making our dinners a litte more tasty :) Oh, and I'm totally trying this mango recipe too…looks so delicious. Thanks and keep it up! Love u guys.

Veronica Miller says:

why didn't I think of this?! Amazing.

Emily {Frilly Details} says:

Can't wait to try this!! I got all the ingredients at the store today. :)

your WEDDING DIVA says:

I make something similar all the time, I just add diced tomatoes. Love it almost as much as I love your blog!

Domestic Diva says:

I have been making a similar recipe for a few years and it is fantastic on grilled salmon rubbed with a sweet and spicy chipotle paste. To die for! Also great with just chips too :)

Anne Velosa says:

Made it for dinner tonight, although I didn't have jalepeno. I substituted crushed red pepper. Soooo good! Thanks for the recipe!

The Dutch Baker's Daughter says:

This looks amazing! I am off to find some mangoes this weekend. I totally envision some of this on some fish tacos.

Lisa says:

If you don't mind sharing, where are you getting your mangos? A big box store or a produce market? I missed my chance at really cheap mangos a couple of weeks ago and have been kicking myself since. I'm hoping to find them again!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Lisa, you can usually get them cheap at stores like Costco or Sam's. I got these particular mangoes at Kroger; just watch the supermarket deals because it seems like at least ONE of the major grocery stores in my area always has cheap mangoes between now and the fall.

Kevin says:

A mango pico de gallo would be so fresh, sweat, juicy and good!

marti says:

That looks so good! I have a question though. How can I tell a good ripe Mango from a yucky hard green one? I have the hardest time with this & I would love a good mango picking tutorial! I always think I'm picking good ones & when I cut them open they're hard as rocks. I would also love to hear about how you cut them – I always end up with a slimy mess. Thanks!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Marti–I meant to include this link in the post. Hope it helps! :)

Cara says:

We must be very much on the same brain wave here, because I just made this exact thing for dinner this evening(w/o seeing your recipe post first)! Love mango pico, though I call mine "salsa" because it's more fun to say "salsa" (a la Seinfeld). Have a great weekend!

Emily {Frilly Details} says:

I made this with dinner tonight and wow was it GOOD!! My husband is not a fan of fruit salsa but gave it a try. His exact words: "Whoa, this is good!"

Allana says:

Just made this (minus the cilantro as I just can't seem to aquire a taste for the stuff) and I literally ate the entire bowl in one sitting!! Yum. Thanks for the recipe!

Heidi says:

I have never been a fan of pico de gallo before, but this week I made both your recipe for pico and this one and I have been converted. I think others recipes just haven't been good. Both of yours were amazing!

mango freak says:

Ok, this I need to make. I've eaten more than my fair share of mangoes, but I've never really made anything with them apart from mango salad. Thanks for the recipe. I think I'm gonna try it. Wish me luck!

Suzanne says:

Loved your mango salsa! I was wondering if I could use one of the photos on my blog and send everyone to you for the recipe? Let me know please

Suzanne- you're always welcome to share our recipes, thanks for asking!

Suzanne says:

Thanks Sara for letting use the photo of your delish mango pico-de gallo! Here's a link to my post http://wp.me/pRnCb-7i
    You do a wonderful job on your blog thanks!

Nikki says:

I have tried this on FISH TACOS and they are the best, now I didn't make it but…. hmmm, need to find a receipe for good fish tacos now…

Lydia says:

I love mangos, I’m from the caribbean and love to try this,mmmm

Lisa Stimpson says:

LOVE IT! I accidentally added tomato by mistake…because it said pico de gallo. But it in delicious. Already had some with chips and putting it over chicken for dinner. Love your site. Thanks!

Stephanie says:

Okay, this is soooo good! Made some early for dinner tonight (Grilled Fish Tacos w/Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette) and not sure if it will last that long! :)

Talia says:

I could honestly just eat this forever (especially on top of lime flavored Tostitos. mmmm). It’s also awesome on top of a lime and soy sauce marinated flat iron steak I make. Seriously delicious; I’m getting an allergic reaction to all the mango now, but it’s so worth it!

Becky says:

I have a recipe sorta like this – I think it might have pineapple in it too – and it’s served over cooked salmon. I’m not a super huge salmon lover, but it’s sooo good with the mango salsa over the top!

Karolyn says:

Is it possible to use frozen Mango chunks instead of fresh Mango for this recipe?

Hmmmm…I honestly don’t know! :) You might run into some weird texture issues because frozen fruit tends to get a little mushy and mangoes can be mushy to begin with. You can try it and if it doesn’t work, chalk it up to experience. Although…frozen mangoes are kind of on the expensive side of the frozen fruit spectrum, but fresh mangoes are pretty cheap right now because they’re in season (I’m seeing the regular price for them around .60 a piece), so aside from the whole work factor, fresh may be the way to go.

linda says:

This is an awesome salsa…we have made ours with white onion and its OK…but i’m sure the red gives it better flavor…Allergies tend to make one omit the red…

Megan says:

Oh my gosh! I made this tonight for dinner with fish tacos and I was in heaven. I have found my new favorite food. Thank you, thank you! :)

Jana says:

I just made this and it rocks!! Thanks for you recipes!

Sarah says:

My favorite thing to eat with this mango salsa is grilled chicken (marinated in bbq sauce). It is the most heavenly combination!!!! You must try it!

Hannah says:

This is one of my favorite recipes. My sister in law always makes it and I can not help but chow down! So yummy!!

Aline says:

WOW! amazing recipe! Hubby hates tomatoes, but loves mangoes and mexican food. He can’t wait to try this out!

Michelle says:

Cant wait to try it

Rossy says:

I looooooooove this site!!! I got my ready n I’m on it right now to try this!

Peggy says:

Ok… here is the question of the day… have you tried this with peaches instead of mangos? I think I am going to give it a try as we have fresh peaches right now and the mangos are running more pound per pound than the peaches. I’ll let you know how it goes if you are interested. Have a wonderful day!

shannon says:

My culinary life changed when I tried this recipe!! It is to die for!!! I make it at least once a week!! My whole family loves it, and it is a super healthy “diet” recipe! I sometimes add shrimp and serve it in a halved avocado! THANK YOU!