The other day, I found quite possibly the most luscious watermelon I’ve ever eaten in my life. And to me, good watermelon means one thing: summer is officially here. As much as I gripe about the heat and humidity in Louisiana, I’ve gotta say that I really do love summer–I love how laid-back our days are, I love my kids riding their bikes and jumping through the sprinklers and playing with water guns, swimsuits hanging in the bathroom to dry, and, most of all, summer food. Which for me mostly consists of lots of fruits and vegetables and lots of stuff cooked on the grill.

This traditional recipe for Korean BBQ Beef bears a strong resemblance to Sara’s Orange Thai Beef Skewers. And that’s good because I love the heck out of Sara’s recipe, so if you feel the same way about the orange beef ones, I bet you’ll love these ones as well. I just used a couple of sirloin steaks and made the marinade with stuff I had in the house:

The recipe calls for rice wine, which might be hard to find. You can also substitute pear juice (it’s very mild and neutral, more so than apple juice), but that can also be hard to find. Unless…you get one of those 4 oz. bottles of pear juice from the baby food section of the grocery store. It will cost you about .50 cents and you don’t even have to MEASURE it!

Anyway, you’ll want to slice your steak against the grain into slices that are about 1/4″ thick.

Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and then add your steak. Let it stand at room temperature for about 1 hour or you can refrigerate it up to 8 hours.

Preheat your grill to about 400 degrees. Thread the steak pieces onto your skewers (pre-soak bamboo skewers for about 30 minutes before using them). Grill for about 3-4 minutes and then flip them and cook for another 3-4 minutes. You don’t want to burn them or even overcook them because they will taste vaguely like beef jerky.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve immediately–I served mine with jasmine rice tossed with green onions and Kosher salt and some fruit. This serves about 4-6 people.

belinhagulosinha says:

wonderful,beautiful..

Lynnette says:

These look so yummy!!!

hana says:

Not really authentic, but it has the basic flavors down! I think sriracha really changes the flavor.
    Short ribs are the real deal in terms of meat choice for at-home Korean BBQ!

jennifer rogers says:

it looks great….a quick tip about wooden skewers, if you soak them in water for about an hour before skewering the meat the sticks won't turn black when you grill them!

Maria says:

I am so ready for bbq season!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

This is perfect!! We just got about 5 lbs. of beef at the store Saturday night [on sale for $8+ from $22+] and were planning on a BBQ tonight and freezing the rest. :)

Evelyn Campbell Curtis says:

Yum! Thanks for sharing! All that is needed is possibly some sauteed veggies, kimchi, romaine lettuce leaves and some steamed rice. This could be a really easy summer way of recreated bulkogi.

Maranda says:

Oh my gosh! I want these in my belly right now please! Thanks for sharing!

Midwestern Gone Idahoan says:

I can't wait to try these!! I have a student that is coming over from South Korea – this would help her not miss home so much!! How fun – thanks!!

myletterstoemily says:

gigi sent me over here, and i'm so
    glad. yum!!!!!!

LollyChops says:

Oh YUM! I love this stuff! Thanks for the terrific recipe girls!!

HUGS!

The Sugar Queen says:

Wow, does this ever look good!

precious mae says:

I am so excited to try this one! I have always loved the Asian flavor especially the Korean food. So delicious.
    dining room tables

smalltownoven says:

Yum! I love Korean food! I actually took my family out (including my 92-year-old grandmother who's never had it) to Korean yesterday and they all loved the barbecue. I can't wait to try this recipe out!

j bird says:

Made this last night and it was Delicious! The marinade smells heavenly. Thanks!

April says:

MIne is marinating right now. A frugal supply of pear juice is the juice in which "lite" canned fruit is packed. Strained, it works well in marinades.

Jessica says:

it smelled more korean than it tasted, but the taste was still amazing! even my picky eaters loved it!

Alexis and Justin says:

These were delicious except I wish I would have read the comment about soaking the skewers because I didn't and welp, they were charcoal. But the meat was tasty!

Keepin' up with the Jones' says:

I was watching Grill It with Bobby Flay this morning and they were working with short ribs. The other person cooking with Bobby Flay did this exact recipe (well, almost exact). Here's her version

Story Family says:

Okay, so it's the middle of November, but I just found your blog (angels sing) and these were the first things I tried. DELICIOUS! Honestly, they are the best thing I've BBQ'd.

I substituted the rice wine/pear juice with apple juice I had on had. Turned out great!

Thanks for this recipe. It'll be added to our family's tried and true faves….

Christie says:

I just made this tonight and it was fantastic! My kids devoured it and they are really picky. Next time I will have to double it. THanks

Amazing! I made these tonight, and they…were…AWESOME! They were treat for my hubby on the menu this week. I don’t usually like Asian food, but I had a second helping of these. :)

Thank you for another winner! :)

Kim says:

Holy moly these are amazing!!! I don’t like sesame oil so I swapped it out for olive oil. That’s the only change I made. I’d never had sriracha before this recipe, and now I use it all the time. Oh goodness, I can’t say enough good things about this recipe! We even made these for our our Christmas Eve dinner, they are that good!