I was born and raised in Seattle and while it sometimes gets a bad rap for its drizzly weather, the temperate climate is one of my favorite things about it. I’m used to gorgeous summers that rarely get over 80 degrees so living here in the desert Idaho has been a slight adjustment for me. The dry heat usually starts early, but this year has been an exception. Everyone around me has been whining about the cool temperatures and the abnormally plentiful rain, but let me tell you, for this 9-month pregnant Seattleite it’s been a dream come true. My feet and ankles already look like sausages by 10 am so I can’t imagine how bad it would be if it was 90 degrees out. Little does everyone know I’ve been praying for the mild weather to continue. Muah ha ha ha!

Really though, today I had a quick and easy oven-free dinner planned to post because, well, it just seems like it should be that time of year. Plus we’ve had a plethora of sweets lately so this is probably the last thing we need. However, it’s cool and cloudy out so I decided I’d post something I’m actually making right now and save the dinner for next month when I’m sure to be sweating my brains out.

So, cinnamon rolls. We have a great Overnight Cinnamon Roll recipe on the site here, and we have a No-Rise Dough that doesn’t even involve yeast. And even Kate’s fabulous dinner rolls can be made into cinnamon rolls. So it’s not like we’re in a shortage or anything. And heck, I’m not even going to say that this will be the last cinnamon roll recipe we post! There are SO many good ones out there. I know Kate is partial to the Pioneer Woman’s recipe, and all of my friends make amazing cinnamon rolls (although doesn’t everything taste better when someone delivers it to your door step?) Like most yeast breads, I tend to think that good cinnamon rolls are almost more about the technique than the recipe. Seems like everyone has their favorite recipe, but I think part of the reason they taste so good is that when people have a favorite, they know exactly how the dough should look and feel so they come out perfect every time. So I’ll share a few of my little tricks for this recipe in hopes that it will turn out perfect for you too.

This recipe is my “every day” cinnamon roll. And by every day I mean almost every Sunday afternoon when my husband craves cinnamon rolls. I love it because it makes one nice 9×13 pan (some recipes make a gazillion rolls), it takes totally normal ingredients that you probably already have, and it’s quick. Fast to pull together and minimal rising time so you don’t have to spend all day making them. Also a bonus is that there’s no proofing of yeast. Just toss everything in there and it all works out. They’re pretty simple, so if you’ve never attempted homemade cinnamon rolls, give it a shot!

A lot of bread recipes call for scalding the milk. It’s partially to be warm and activate the yeast, but there’s also a really long scientific explanation that involves molecules and protein structures and stuff. I ignore all of that and just toss the milk and butter in the microwave. But here’s my tip: The recipe calls for 1 C of milk. Save 1/4 cup of that and leave it cold. That way after the butter is melted and the milk is hot you won’t have to wait forever for it to cool off enough to use. Add the cold milk and it will bring the temp down.

While the milk is cooling toss part of the flour, yeast, salt, and sugar in your mixing bowl.

Add the milk mix and the egg and beat. Now you’ll add some more flour. Next tip: Don’t add too much flour! It took me a long time to figure this out. It wasn’t until one day after I was newly married and I actually watched my friend and cinnamon roll guru LeeAnn actually make them that I realized just how soft cinnamon roll dough should be. It seems like it would even be too soft to roll out, but when you gently dump it on a well floured surface it works just fine. Remember that a soft tender dough results in soft tender rolls. Too much flour and your rolls will be dense and dry.

For the filling I mix everything together and spread it on in one step, If you want, you could spread on butter, then sugar, then cinnamon.

I’ve told you this before, but one thing I always keep in the kitchen is dental floss. It’s the best way to cut bread dough. Using a knife often ends up smashing it.  And yes, that’s mint flavored- don’t worry, it won’t flavor your dough!

Use a piece of floss to score the roll of dough into 12 pieces. Tip: If you want even sized rolls start from the middle. So for 12 rolls, divide evenly in the middle and then divide each of the halves into thirds, and then into thirds again.

After the dough is evenly scored, slip the floss underneath, then cross over top and just pull to slice. Use this same method to cut these Cheesy Garlic Bread Swirls (have you guys all tried those? They’re amazing. They make me happy.)

Place the rolls in a greased pan and cover with a clean towel. Tip: Heat a small bowl of water in the microwave until it boils. Open the door, quickly move the bowl aside and set the pan of rolls in and shut the door (with the microwave off). Just let them sit in there to rise. The hot water will warm up the temp, and also keep the dough moist.

After 30 minutes they should be nice and plump.

Then just bake ‘em up. They should just be barely golden brown. I watch the centers- as soon as the centers are set and not dough-y they’re good to go.

Honestly I’ve never measured icing before, ever. I just grab some powdered sugar, add some vanilla and melted butter and then add milk until it’s the consistency I like. I put it on warm so it melts in all the cracks. Cream cheese is good in there too as it cuts the sweetness a bit.

And of course, you MUST eat cinnamon rolls while they’re warm. Must.

The insides are soft and ooey gooey

And the very best part is the middle, right?? I love that part.

I hope you all have some cinnamon roll weather soon!

Glenda says:

Mmmmm, there's no such thing as too many cinnamon roll recipes!

I only make them several times a year, but they're worth the effort. I use Paula Deen's recipe which, needless to say, is SWEET — but it's also oh so yummy.

This one looks a bit quicker, so I'm bookmarking it for when I have the urge to make cinnamon rolls again. I never thought about starting to cut them from the middle and working out — makes total sense!

Memória says:

Okay, so I'm in love with the Cone of a Cinnabon recipe on allrecipes. Would you say the main difference with this recipe is that it is quicker to make? I'm curious about this one, and I usually don't stray from my go-to recipe. The last few photos are so tempting

Tia says:

you are so right. I have a favorite cinnaroll recipe but am still tempted to try others whenever I can. Good thing lots of people like eating cinnamon buns because i make them really often! Great tips – i love the one about the middles popping up for doneness.

buttercreambarbie

Hel says:

Oh, how I love this! We are right in Winter now. Not as wet as Seattle winters but oh so close and this was the perfect recipe for our family night tonight! Hooray! Thanks for the inspiration.

Sandra says:

It's a coolish morning at Thistle Cove Farm and these would be wonderful. I think I'll rearrange my schedule and get started; thanks!

Cindy says:

I call that soft, ooey-gooey middle the "filet of cinnamon roll."

Q: Do you put the pan of cinnamon rolls in the microwave in with the hot water, or remove the water, then place the pan inside the microwave? The directions said to set it aside–I'm assuming outside because my microwave doesn't have room for both the pan and the water.

Thanks for the yummy recipe!

ButterYum says:

As far as I'm concerned, floss is the only way to cut cinnamon roll dough! I'm glad you highlighted it.

ButterYum

Cindy- "Fillet of cinnamon roll" hahaha. I LOVE that!

I just use a small bowl so it can stay inside the microwave with the pan and continue to steam. But if yours doesn't have room, you could use a larger container for water and then but both the steaming water and your cinnamon roll pan in your oven with the door shut. I do that when I have a pan that's too big for the microwave.

Memoria- Can't tell ya, I've never tried that recipe, sorry.

Jen K. says:

Those look SO good and I've been craving cinnamon rolls. But, considering it's supposed to be 109 here today, I think I'll save this for cooler recipe…so October?? :(

Steph says:

We've had cinnamon roll weather in Portland for 8 months…maybe I should actually make them now!

Stephanie Newton says:

Ack! Now I'm DYING for cinnamon rolls. This recipe looks amazing!

Thanks!

Lindz Sims says:

Yeah these look awesome. Like even-though-I'm-eating-healthy-I'm-going-to-run-an-extra-mile-so-I-can-eat-these AWESOME. I never thought to use dental floss. All I have is mint floss though so I'll have to pick up some regular unless I want mint-flavored cinnamon rolls.

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Was seriously supposed to start my [self-inflicted] hard-core working out/eating healthy today and now I just want to make cinnamon rolls! Thanks for the tip about not adding too much flour. I think that is a problem of mine… I always think it needs just a bit more. I know I've done it with Kate's Cheesy Garlic Swirls recipe and they've never been hard, but I think they could be a little softer and squishier! I'll see if I can at least make it to the weekend to try these…. maybe. ;)

Lindz Sims- guess what? I always use mint floss! It won't flavor anything, so go for it!

Southworths- seriously, the flour thing changed my bread making forever. In fact, I just made Kate's rolls successfully for the first time and realized it was because before I was adding way to much flour!

Atticelf says:

You know, even without the pictures, this would be something I'd have to make "soon". But WITH the pictures, oh my! I'm thinking today. Now. Because, I'm still in Seattle and it's a rainy and drizzly June after a rainy and drizzly May and April. If the only sunshine I get is from these fantastic-looking rolls so be it. TFS!

redforever says:

It is mostly "old" recipes that call for scalding of the milk used when baking various products.

In essence, when you scald milk, you are pasteurizing the milk. At one point in time, milk was not pasteurized and refrigeration of foods was certainly not as sophisticated either. So to ensure food safety, milk was scalded.

Kelly says:

I didn't know you were in Idaho! I'm in Idaho too! And you sure must be in the Boise area because I too have heard an abundance of whining about the temps & rain. How fun!
    Anyway, these look delicious and a lot easier than most! I'm making them soon for sure!

Eric says:

These were great! I was the beneficiary of them and very happy I was;)

Jasey says:

I so love you OBB! I have been wanting a recipe like this!!! Do you have any tips for high altitude bakers?

Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
    crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

The Gough's says:

Okay ladies…I am a HERO for making the awesome taquitos and quac. We all LOVED them! I love your site. Thanks for the amazing recipes!!

J says:

I'm always looking for the Holy Grail of cinnamon roll recipes and so far no luck. I make them every year for Christmas morning and every year I use a different recipe, but this recipe looks like it could be contender.

I always have a problem with the mix in the middle running out the bottom into the pan, do you have any tips as to rolling up or what I could be doing wrong that this happens? Thanks

Which recipe do you think is more melt in your mouth, gotta have another one- this recipe or the overnight? I want to make one of them this weekend, but can't make them both yet.

J- if your filling is seeping out it might just be the consistency of the filling itself. Too much butter just turns to liquid and spills out. Also, make sure you roll them nice and tight.

Emily- If you have to pick just one, I'd make this one. It's just overall more simple and easy and they turn out great every time (at least for me!) The overnight ones are awesome, but they can also be a bit more temperamental.

smalltownoven says:

I love the trick of using floss to cut the cinnamon rolls! I must say, after trying out Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls I never thought I'd be seduced by another recipe but I'm definitely going to make these! They look so delicious!

Geneve says:

I have never made cinnamon rolls before – they scare me! – but I tried these tonight and they worked! And they were easy! And they were delicious!! Thanks!

Audrey says:

Wow, these look awesome! I'm thinking of making them too in a few days :D Quick question: My microwave is not working anymore, but since I live in Malaysia where it's always warm (sometimes TOO warm!), can I just leave the rolls out to rise on itself (That's what we usually do for our breads here) or the temperature has to be extra warm to encourage better rising?

Audrey

Crystal says:

Floss? Brilliant!

astheroshe says:

wow those look great! and the last buns i made did take a long time ..made with brioche SOO yummy!

thanks for the tip! can't wait to make them!

honeysuckle says:

Those would be perfect for breakfast this morning!

StacieJayne says:

Well, it wasn't necessarily "cinnamon roll weather" yesterday, but I still made these for our dessert for Family Home Evening. They were FABULOUS!! I LOVE that they don't make a TON! One pan-full was just right!! :D

Mel says:

okay, cinnamon rolls go waaaaaay back in my family and yes, i have a favorite recipe too. However, I'm going to try this, cuz you just never no . . .
    But, I have to tell you, since it appears you love cinnamon rolls as much, that if you've never tried them smeared with peanut butter (yes, peanut butter) you haven't lived! You still have all the frosting and warm sticky insides, but there's just something about the peanut butter (started back with great grandma and just stuck) that makes it amazing! Try it and let me know!

Kara says:

We had these tonight for dinner. They were SO good!! I Love them. I'm positive we will make these again.

Suzanne says:

I've been wanting to make these for my blog but,Oh my goodness those just look so perfect why try now j/k. Seriously though they really do look absolutely perfect and delicious. I can't wait to try your recipe.

Marcie and Doug says:

Hmmm… I think I need to make these! My husband might have a nice surprise in the works when he gets home. :)

I live in Idaho too, and I've been LOVING the cool weather and rain. Shh, don't tell anyone. ;)

Schnackenberg Family says:

I just have to say that these cinnamon rolls were A-MAZ-ING! Seriously delicious. I made them this morning for my bible study group and one woman told me that they were the best cinnamon rolls she had ever eaten :) I've made plenty of tough cinnamon rolls, so thank you so much for the info about adding too much flour. I was a little worried at first, but they turned out amazing. I ended up with 18 rolls, I was trying to make them a little smaller. I have none left! Great recipe! Thank you!

Analisha says:

I will have to try this recipe! My recipe makes way too many rolls and that is very bad for my waist line!!! The only thing I found is that if you use cheap dental floss the mint flavor will come off and into the bread. So make sure you have string or other floss on hand if you choose to buy the cheap stuff.

Christa says:

I can't wait to try this recipe. We love cinnamon rolls but I hate getting up early to make them – these seem perfect.

Jasey says:

AMAZING!!!!! SUPER DELISH! So, has does anyone have any experience doubling this recipe? Does it work out okay? Some dough recipes just don't like to be doubled – and sometimes I will need more of these – but it is really nice to have the single 9×13 option!

Jasey- glad you liked them, and yes, it doubles just fine!

Jaime says:

These were SOOOO good and pretty easy too. I didn't get them to come out as pretty as yours, the floss trick didn't work well for me, but they tasted heavenly. Thanks so much for the recipe!

The cool family! says:

I made these yesterday for the kids… they were a HIT! My husband ate about 5 of them! We basically noshed on them all day long! By dinnertime ALL the cinnimon rolls were gone!

Jessica and Jim says:

Oh man! I was drooling over these, but then mine didn't rise. What the heck? I thought I had let the milk cool enough . . . any other thoughts on what went wrong?

Oh bummer Jessica! Yup, probably a yeast problem (well, obviously, lol) Either your milk was too hot or you may just need new yeast. I hope you get to try it again!

kristijackson says:

I have never tried to make homemade cinnamon rolls before. But I when I saw this recipe, I thought I would give it a shot. I. Am. AMAZED! They are so delicious and so easy to make. Thank you for sharing your recipes!

Jasey says:

OBB – I am still loving this recipe and making them again! I see a tradition rising in my house!

Happy Day,
    Jasey

Samantha says:

Just wanted to thank you for another great recipe! I've made three batches so far (one with raisins, by request) and none of them have lasted for longer than 36 hours. VERY quick, VERY easy, SUPER yummy!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Mmmmmm… Amazing. Made these yesterday for my husband's birthday and they were so good! I was a little worried at first because they weren't rising quite like I expected, but they just needed a little longer. Sara, the less flour trick worked!! My dough was so soft. I am a believer!
    The only downside to this recipe – WAY to quick and easy. That is a dangerous combination for homemade cinnamon rolls. :)

PS: Hope you and baby are doing well!!

Hairdoo says:

These were great, and so easy! I will be making these again for sure. Thanks–we love your blog!

James and DesRae says:

I LOVE this blog. Any time I need a great recipe, I look here first. So many good things to make, thanks for the recipes/ideas!

Joanne says:

You ladies are pure evil!! Evil geniuses, that is! ;o)

I've been browsing your blog for a few weeks, resisting temptation to bake/cook something. However, you have found my weak spot with these beauties and I caved!! LOL

I had a bag of ground pecans that needed to be used up, so I combined that in the butter mixture! Should be tasty!!

Stacy says:

Just pulled these out of the oven, spread on some icing love and thought I would only try 1/2 of one. Well…..let's just say, I went back for the rest after 2 bites. These are so, so good! We're having them tonight with an egg dish as breakfast for dinner.

Shelle says:

Thank you, thank you. (((hug))) This is the first time I have EVER had cinnamon rolls come out! I loved, loved your secret tips. I have a couple to add. When I was using your microwave rising method I tossed a really wet dish rag in the microwave instead of a bowl of water and heated for 2 mins. The inside was steamy hot! To soften the butter for the filling and get it the perfect room temp (for those who don't plan ahead- me)… I put the cube between two sheets of wax paper and rolled it out and it was the perfect temp when it was time to do the filling. Thank you again! YUM!

Bonnie Tadlock says:

My better homes & gardens cookbook has an Apple-cinnamon version. Haven't tried it, but I'be made this one and put 1 small chopped granny smith Apple in the filling. Presently rising. And already remembering that I forgot to add the egg. Oops! The dough consistency tip is super helpful, so I dear that w/o the egg, something in texture will lack. Otherwise, so far so good.

Teri says:

I want to make these.. they look delish!! However.. we only use our own wheat that we grind ourselves once a week. I have no white flour in the house. Any idea what changes I would need to make if I was going to make a whole wheat version? I am positive they won't be quite as good as yours, I still would like to try them in a whole wheat version. All the other online recipes for them call for lots of ingredients and lots of time involved. Maybe I will just try it and see what happens and let you know!

Teri, baked goods like this are usually best with white flour- or at least half and half, so you'll just have to experiment and see. Let us know!

Tdubya says:

I love you, you have made me so happy. I love homemade cinnamon rolls! :-)

Cammi says:

I made these this week as my first attempt at cinnamon rolls (on my own) and they were FABULOUS. Thank you!

Marty Alexander says:

These look great! I am going to try them for gifts this year for the holidays. Can you advise on freezing? Thanks!
    Marty

Marty- honestly, I don't know! I've never frozen them before, we always eat them up way too fast :)

Atticelf says:

Made these for breakfast New Years' Day. Unanimous vote…"Best Cinnamon Rolls EVER!". Even from my husband who isn't a big sweets fan. He was oohing and ahhing. Thank you!

Meghan says:

I made these New Year's Day and they were a big hit. The next day we reheated them for 20 sec in the microwave and they were just as delicious. I like this recipe since it only makes 12, this dough was even better than the overnight rolls. A definite keeper!!

Sally says:

Quick question: Your recipe says Instant Yeast but your picture shows Active Dry Yeast and you said that no proofing is required. Does it matter what type of yeast you use?

Renee says:

Made these this AM and they were delicious!! I've never had much luck making cinnamon rolls from scratch but I've been working on my bread making and all of your little tips were especially helpful!! The dental floss tip, is great, so easy!!

Sally- good eye! Generally instant yeast works best (I like "Rapid Rise") but I actually use that active dry yeast quite often (because I keep it in bulk and sometimes forget to buy the other) and it has worked fine in there too- even without being dissolved.

Tracy says:

I LOVE these cinnamon rolls! I've made them three times. However, all three times the proofing has taken 1-3 hours. I have no problem with this, but it makes morning baking problematic. I have found, though, that they can be made the day before, put into the fridge overnight (after proofing) and baked the next morning with the exact same results. GREAT recipe! Thanks so much for sharing.

Katrina says:

I tried these over the weekend and they were SOOO good I had to make another batch to share with a friend! LOVE THEM! I have looked quite a while for a good cinnamon roll recipe and these were awesome!!

Kristen Gross says:

These are great, just made them and ate them! They are RICH! I am going to send them to work with my husband so that I don’t finish the pan off!

annika says:

for some reason my dough always come out waaaay too sticky and its almost impossible to roll it and cut so it. they ended up being cinnamon blobs instead of rolls. Any reasons as to why it would be like that?

Allycat says:

These were sooooooo delicious! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jill says:

I had the same problem as ‘annika’. I followed the instructions exactly and my dough came out incredibly sticky. I couldn’t even work with it to roll it up, it just ended up in a big blog in the pan. In fact, I tried adding MORE flour to it to make it less sticky but it didn’t work. Any ideas what went wrong?

Kari says:

I had never made cinnamon rolls previous to finding this site. I just want to say thank you for giving such clear instructions (and need I mention how helpful the photos are). However the thing I want to thank you the most for is a recipe that I can make for my son that has severe food allergies to many foods. With slight tweaking-he can actually eat these. I’ve made these rolls four times in two weeks!

Alicia says:

These are so good! I really want to make them again, but they do take a long time.

Megan says:

Thank you! I just made some cinnamon rolls with a recipe I’ve decided has gotten too many chances- it just doesn’t turn out like I wish it would! I am excited to try this recipe- it sounds much easier!

Melanie says:

It is spring break for my kids and I want something more then the norm for breakfast, so we are going to try these yummy sounding cinnamon rolls. But I noticed in one of your pictures you were using a Silpat to roll out your dough. Have you ever used any other Demarle products? Like the Roul Pat. Also my husband is the Brazilian Cheese Roll guy. We used a Demarle mini muffin pan for those. The rolls were a hit with my brother-in-law that served a mission in Brazil. Thanks for all your great recipes.

Jennifer S says:

These turned out great. The rolls were soft and buttery/sugary. Yummmm. And I really like that they only make enough for one pan, just perfect for us. Thanks for another great recipe!

Monica says:

Just made my first batch of homemade cinnamon rolls thanks to you. They turned out amazing!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Margje says:

I’ve made this recipe for the first time today and finally I’ve found something my husband thinks it’s worth eating the whole batch!!!!
    He’s not really into sweet things (unless it’s candy) and normally he’s saying my bakings tastes ok after just one bite. This time he ate the whole thing and even took another one.
    So thank you for all these recipes!!!! I’ve just discovered your site 2 weeks ago and sometimes I have to play a little with the ingredients (not everything is available in the Netherlands) But you even got a page to help me with this problem.
    I’ve been searching for a good recipe site for a long time! I’ll definetely try a lot more from your site!

Amy says:

How do you get your dough to roll up nice and tight?

Carly says:

I’ve dying to attempt making cinnamon rolls but don’t have a stand mixer. Can it be done with a hand mixer? Please, say yes…..

Kelly says:

I think I’ll take a whack at these today. Although, I’m with Carly on not having a stand mixer, BUT I do have a bread machine. I suppose I could dump everything in there and put it on the dough setting.. Seems like a good enough plan to me. I’ve got two crabby little kids that could help out with this, and since it’s a rainy day I’m feeling like breakfast-for-supper today.

Kelly says:

HA! The bread machine worked like a charm. Had to let it run about 10 minutes though. Rolls are rising at the moment, got 15 minutes left until I can bake them. This recipe is so easy it should be outlawed! By the way, I had NO clue that the brown sugar mixture would taste so darn good. My 20 month old and 4 year old were all over it, I was beginning to doubt that it would even make it on to the dough!!

Katie Slade says:

I had never made cinnamon rolls before, but I tried these this morning before church (at 1:00) and they turned out great! I’ve always been scared of cinnamon rolls because they take so much time. Thanks for so many great recipes!!!!!!

Kim says:

Dumb question: is the yeast used in this recipe the same as in the overnight recipe? I’m a yeast dummy.

Not a dumb question! This one uses the “Rapid Rise” yeast, which helps it rise really fast. I wouldn’t use this Rapid Rise yeast in the overnight rolls because you want a nice slow rise for those. The cold temperature of the fridge is what will mostly cause the slow rise with the other rolls, but I would still just use regular yeast in those. Hope that helps!

Elizabeth Walter says:

Do you have any suggestions for the different types of flours? I use bread flour in every recipe that I have that calls for flour. Mostly because I buy it in bulk at Sam’s Club and I LOVE to bake. I don’t think it is making much of a difference in my recipes, but, I saw that you use All-Purpose in this recipe. Does it make a difference? Thanks!

Amy says:

oh gosh these were AMAZING! Why didn’t you say they are just as good as cinnabon! I’ve never made cinnamon rolls before, these were simple, quick, and really fun to make! Thanks!

Brandi Lee says:

These look super delicious and I’m debating whether or not I should make them right now…For those having trouble with the rising, my grandma swears by putting all her rolls and breads on top of the dryer, while it runs, with a damp towel over the top. I haven’t tried it with these yet, but it has worked great for all my other bread making ventures. Plus, you can just correlate making these with laundry day. Maybe a fresh baked cinnamon role can be your reward for getting some laundry done. ;)

Camille says:

I just made these for breakfast… and they were the best cinnamon rolls I have ever had. I know why too, it’s your tip about the flour. I didn’t know that, but it makes complete sense. I’m in heaven (and these are dangerous.) Doesn’t help that I’m pregnant, right? Thank you!!!

Olivia says:

I just tried this recipe today with my brother. We ROCKED it!. They came out wonderfully–so gooey and moist, buttery and delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Lucy says:

I have tried this recipe last Friday and my family have loved it, i have done the cinnamon rolls three times after Friday, I have a question the last time I used almost half wheat and the other half i used regular flour, the rolls did not turn as good as when I used only flour they were dry, I like to use the wheat and I want to try again and you give me any tips for cooking with wheat.

Lucy, my advice is to not use whole wheat flour :) Sorry I don’t have a better answer for ya, but whole wheat tends to weight down and dry out light and tender things like this. For best results stick to all purpose flour.

Amanda Baldwin says:

Just made these, super easy and super tasty!!

Lisa G says:

De-LICIOUS! I absolutely love these and will be making them again!!! :) I have tried several recipes of Our Best Bites and they have all been sooo good! Thanks so much for putting out this blog too!

Alexandra says:

Introduced Buenos Aires to the world of cinnamon rolls… they were a hit! By far my favorite easy ooey gooey recipe. Have made it countless times already and I will use countless times in the future!

Kimberley says:

These look sooo good. You would honestly laugh if you could see the number of cookbooks, binders with recipes printed off the internet and now recipe sites saved in my favorites that I have…..and I can honestly say this is my favorite Website , thank you gals for your recipes, tips and humour… :) xo

Amy says:

Yay! I LOVE cinnamon rolls, they are my favorite dessert and I have been looking for a new cinnamon roll recipe to try that didn’t take me forever to make… looks like my search is over! Thanks!! :)

Lisa Stimpson says:

This is the first time I have ever attempted cinnamon rolls! They are currently rising. My husband will be so happy! Thanks!

Stephanie says:

You were right Sara! It must have been something with my browser (Chrome) or my AV (Kaspersky). Anyways, saw the pics and am making them tonight for the midnight release of The Sim 3 Pets. Thankfully, I had all of the ingredients and am so excited to make them. :)

Angelina says:

I made these last night. It is my first attempt at ANY dough with yeast….OMG they were SOOOOO good. I think I rolled mine out a lil thinner, I also doubled the filling recipe and added in a generous amount of pumpkin pie spice. They were amazing! I like icing on my cinnamon rolls but these are good enough without! I will definitely be making these again. My DH did NOT think they were going to good since they didn’t have to proof.. and rise and punch down and rise again.. yadda yadda yadda… LOL I showed him! Thank you TONS

Erica says:

These are so yummy! I made them just yesterday! They have the right amount of sugar filling too. Merry Christmas!

Renee says:

These are dangerously easy! I made them on Christmas Eve and put them in the fridge before the 30 minute rise. On Christmas morning I took them out of the fridge to raise and then bake. They were super gooey and I think they could have baked a few minutes more, so I’ll have to experiment next time. But these were SO good and SO easy! I might have just found our family’s new Christmas morning breakfast tradition!

Karen says:

I made these on Christmas Eve (since I knew I’d be up by 5:30am with my boys and wouldn’t be able to read a recipe!), let them rise and then popped them in the fridge. I took them out first thing in the morning, let them warm up a bit and put them in the oven…THE BEST CINNAMON ROLLS EVER!!! I’m sure that’s what the Overnight Cinnamon Roll recipe if for, but this one is sooo easy!!! Thanks (yet) again!

Melanie says:

I just found your blog last week and made these rolls 2 times! I’ll be spending more time on the treadmill if I keep this up!

Whitney says:

Ok…I made these last night and decided to wait to eat one for breakfast in the morning. Bad idea-I couldn’t fall asleep because I wanted to just go eat them. My self control saved me, but these are the best things I have tasted in a long time. Seriously soooo good!

karen says:

I *love* these rolls. Have made them about 6 times now, and about to make a batch this afternoon. This is now my go to recipe for cinnamon rolls, because it is so easy and delicious.

Lindsey says:

Any tips on how to keep the filling from running out while baking? I keep having this problem!

Stephanie says:

Made these this morning and they were amazing and super easy!! Thanks for posting!!

Stephanie says:

Already making for a second time–family has been begging me to make them again since the first time!!!

Taylor says:

My aunt made these from your recipe and we loved them! I’m dying to make them

Alex Blaise says:

I follow the recipe precisely but the dough was super soft that I had to add a lot of flour. Since it was late and I need them for the next morning for a friend’s breakfast I had to run to the store and buy 2 cans of cinnamon rolls :(

Eloise Garica says:

i have made these numerous times! huge hit every time. fast and easy. these are my biggest seller at church bake sales

Heather H. says:

First successful cinnamon rolls- yum!

Melinda says:

I came home after work with to this yummy cinnamon smell……my daughter had made this recipe and I couldn’t believe how soft and fluffy the dough was!!! Absolutely the BEST cinnamon buns ever!!!! Hope she makes them again…..:D Loved them!

Eloise Garica says:

made these MANY time, and they are such hit at bake sales. i sell them buy the tray;] i do have a question tho… i left my 9×13 baking dish at my sisters house, so could these be made in a 10′ inch spring form pan?

Holly says:

Best ever! Once again! Thank you!!!

Kami says:

These turned out okay, but I thought there was too much filling! They were almost swimming in it as they baked…but it mostly got reabsorbed. But, even the kids thought they were too sweet and needed a drink to wash down. Maybe next time I’ll half the filling so we can have a little “roll” with our “sugar!”

Misty says:

I just made these for the third time and they are amazing, ALWAYS a great hit! However this time I divided my dough into thirds and made mini bite size cinnamon rolls for our PTA’s annual back to school teacher breakfast! It made 6 1/2 dozen!

[...] Everyday or Overnight Cinnamon [...]

julie says:

Cinnamon rolls get a lot of hype because they typical take so much effort. I’ve made cookies and brownies and cakes that take double the effort than these! Holy smokes! These were so easy to make. Thanks for sharing. [And the floss tip? NEVER GOING BACK!]

Renee H. says:

These cinnamon rolls are WONDERFUL. It delights me that I can easily and quickly (one hour!) make something so…perfect, light and utterly delicious. I think I’ve made them six times in the last month. This is a great recipe. Thanks so much for sharing it!

[...] so delicious. We shared some with friends and devoured the rest! I used one of the recipes from Our Best Bites. I will definitely be making those [...]

Renee H. says:

My family LOVES these cinnamon rolls! They’ve become a favorite over the last several months and we’ve had them….a lot. ;) I’m looking at making these for the ward Christmas party. I wonder, have you ever made them (a double recipe) in a jellyroll pan? Thanks for sharing another great recipe!!

mb says:

hi, could you please share the recipe for the cream cheese icing you suggested? thanks!

[...] **adapted from Our Best Bites** [...]

Hiva says:

My husband bought me the cookbook for Christmas so i made orange rolls for breakfast that morning. We’ve been married for 4 years and his family tradition includes having orange rolls for breakfast. I’ve never been able to pull it off until today when I used your recipe. My orange rolls were fabulous and he loves it and I love it! The dough was soft and the sauce was perfect and I can keep the orange roll tradition alive. Thank you!!!

Julie Bennion says:

1/4 tsp of maple flavoring (or a squirt of store bought maple syrup) added to the frosting recipe for these cinnamon rolls sounds like a small tweak, but it’s the perfect compliment to this recipe.

Barbie says:

I’ve made these several times, and we love them. I got the dough started this morning, then realized that I didn’t have any brown sugar. I decided to do a variation and added some toasted shredded coconut and chocolate chips to the white sugar (which I substituted for brown) and butter filling. About to pop them into the oven . . . We’ll see how it comes out!

Amber says:

Ok, gals, I need help with this. I am a terrible baker, but I love sweets. I followed the recipe, but the dough was so soft and sticky that it was sticking to my hands and my countertop. My jelly roll looked nothing like the beautiful picture. I let it rest for 10 minutes and floured my hands, rolling pin and countertop. Just a mess. Please give me some tips for those of you who have been successful with these because these are a lot easier than the ones I usually make.

heather r. says:

No big problem….you just needed a bit more flour when you mixed it. :) It should pull away from the bowl. Just don’t add so much that it’s really stiff.

Samantha says:

This is my go to recipe and has been for several years! My only sub is I make real cream cheese icing. Yesterday I made them lemon rolls and they turned out great. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Nona T. says:

I have always had my favorite cinnamon roll recipe but only made it for holiday breakfast because it took HOURS to make. This recipe is now a new favorite. No sacrifice on flavor or texture and I love that I can make these in the morning without getting up four hours before everyone else.

The tip about the flour is great.

Nona T. says:

Post Note: I took these cinnamon rolls to our Easter brunch and they were described as the best cinnamon rolls ever eaten. The dough was soft and full of flavor. Will make these again (and again). Thank you for such a great roll recipe.

Sabrina says:

These things are the best and totally worth splurging for. In case anyone is doing Weight Watchers, it’s 12 pp+ per roll if you make a dozen. If you make 24 smaller ones, they are 5 pp+ each. I say use your extra weekly points, eat a big one and enjoy!!! (Fair warning, you’ll probably want to go back for at least one more!)

Junaynah says:

Ever since my school closed up for the summer I’ve been looking for yummy recipes to try out and experiment with, this one is the best I’ve done so far my mum and dad spent the rest of the evening with big smiles on their faces after tasting on of these. Btw thanks For the floss idea defiantly something i found interesting :)

Paihge M R says:

I have a weird question…? I think I might be blind, but what temperature do I bake these at? I have everything ready but don’t know what to bake them at!

Nicole says:

I absolutely love these cinnamon rolls! I have tried about 3 other recipes and none compare to this one! They are perfect, I usually make them when we have company and everyone loves them!!! Thank you for the fantastic recipe! When I make them, I usually do a cream cheese frosting, to take the sweetness down a notch. And the last time I made them, when they were done and had cooled a bit, I turned the pan over and dumped my cinnamon rolls upside down. I read from another site to do that so the gooey ness was on top… And it really does work! Thank you so much!!! I will continue to make this recipe for years to come!!

Kara D says:

I have baked quite a few cinnamon roll recipes in the past and this is my favorite so far! I love how easy the dough is to work with, and how quickly the recipe comes together!

Debra says:

Sara,
    When I made these before, they were amazing. I loved them and couldn’t wait to try again. however, when I did, they didn’t cook right. Even after twenty extra minutes, they were still raw in the inside. I decided to try again and use my bread machine. Any tips? Thanks!!

Debra, if they turned out perfect the first time and had problems the second time my guess is that you had a error in preparation the second time. Perhaps a mis-measurement of some sort? Third time is the charm! ;)

Sam says:

Do you know if it would it work to half the recipe? I really want to make these but I don’t know if 12 cinnamon rolls would be wise for just my husband and me… I know sometimes halving/doubling baked goods doesn’t just straight up work. Or maybe it wouldn’t be worth it to make it for only 6 rolls and I should just make the whole batch anyway? Any advice would be great! Thank you!

Honestly, I would just make the whole batch, then you don’t have to worry about using a half and egg. You can always share with a neighbor! If you want to try it out though, you can always beat the egg and measure out 2 Tablespoons to use in 1/2 batch of cinnamon rolls. It should work just fine!

• Sam says:

Thanks for answering my silly question! I didn’t realize when I posted it that there is only 1 egg… I went ahead and made the whole batch yesterday for a General Conference treat, and they are so completely amazing! They came out perfect! I’ve been wanting to come up with some kind of Conference food tradition, and I think this is it. Thanks for the recipe and the tutorial/tips – I’m sure I wouldn’t have made successful cinnamon rolls (on my first try ever) without them!

Caitlin says:

For the filling, I think 1/2 cup of butter was too much. It was so runny, not at all crumbly like the pictures. And then trying to roll it up was a nightmare.

Caitlin, if it didn’t look like the photos, then there’s a chance you may have mis-measured somewhere. But feel free to experiment with less butter next time if you’d like.

Tishelle says:

LOVED these:). Made them for football halftime yesterday and they were ooohhh so good!
    These will be my “go to”! I thought all the ingredients were perfect including the butter for the filling, no problemos. Just an FYI, I only keep dry active yeast on hand. I just activated it with a 1/4 cup warm water and a tsp of sugar. Then I added it with the milk and egg. Turned out amazing:)

Katie says:

Have you ever tried freezing these before baking? I’m doing some freezer cooking and thought about trying it…

Adrienne says:

I made these this morning and they were just as wonderful as my old recipe that took forever to rise! Plus, I learned that I have been too heavy-handed with the flour. Who knew sticky was good? I really like the trick with the scalded milk to help it get back to room temperature. Yay! I do have the OCD needed for baking, but am sometimes lacking in patience (and brevity!). Kudos!
    Adrienne

This is the best recipe I have ever found!!!! I was making these weekly for my kids and myself until I set the printed version down and lost it!!! EEEEK!!! I have been searching for over 7 days on a million sites to try and find it (and I never did bookmark it the first time) with no luck until tonight. I am so glad that I found it again that I have bookmarked it as well as sent it to my e-mail to make sure I never lose it again!!! Thank you for the delicious cinnamon rolls and there aren’t any other recipes that come close!!!

Erin says:

I have never had luck with cinnamon rolls, and your recipe turned out waayyyy too Good. I may eat the whole pan tonight.

Brandy Leggett says:

Made these this am after opening up Christmas presents. I was so worried to mess up, but they turned out PERFECT! Fast, simple and delicious! Y’all seriously are the BEST. Cheers & Happy New Years!

mini says:

Planning to make these tomorrow!!! Which milk do I use?? Can I use fat free? What did you use?

Stacey says:

Several people made comments that their microwave is too small, etc. You can also put the water dish and rolls in the oven (while it’s off) for the same effect. Just remember to take them out before you preheat if you don’t have a double oven. Also, an empty roaster works as well. Anything enclosed will work as long as it’s clean. These are on my Saturday experiment list tomorrow! My kids will be super excited!

Pearlene says:

I made these last night and they were SO incredibly delicious! Definitely using this recipe whenever I make cinnamon rolls! Thank you!

mini says:

I made these cinnamon rolls twice and they turned out great!!!
    Thank you so much for such an easy and tasty recipe!
    I used salted butter and fat free milk. It was perfect.
    I was curious which size pan would you recommend? I tried 9×13.

joony says:

Just made these for the first time. New to baking and these came out great! My friends are raving! Thank you!!

rosanne says:

can I make these the night before and keep in fridge? take out an hour or two before baking? how does that work?

Ginny says:

I love love love this recipe! I love the fact that I can make these in an hour or so for breakfast. So many recipes require several hours of prep. This is our new favorite cinnamon bun recipe!

Stacey says:

I just made these. They are absolutely fantastic! Light, fluffy. Filling amount is perfect. I’m wondering if you could alter the filling and make them into a savory dinner roll? I think “yes.” I’m going to try it for our girls’ night potluck Saturday. Of course, I’ve been making my way through lots of cinnamon rolls lately so I need an AP flour restock first. Your Overnight Cinnamon Rolls are rising right now (my first attempt.) Hoping they’re as perfect as these!

Stacey says:

I actually like these much better than the Almost Famous recipe from foodnetwork and I’ve made those several times. Thank you!

Yep, you can definitely use the dough for a savory roll. Fill it with cheese and Italian seasoning- it’s out of this world!

Stacey says:

Awesome! Thanks, Sara!!!!! Any particular cheese suggestions? I am making lasagna this weekend so these will be perfect.

Leslie Sanders says:

i am just now getting to this recipe like 4 years after the original post. i made 4 batches yesterday. these taste just as good as any roll that takes way more time with a double rise. the dough is so easy to work with and they are done in no time! i am using this recipe from now on. thank you for your awesomeness!

Me says:

Yum
    Yum
    Yum
    Yum
    Yum
    Yum
    Yum

morgan says:

Delicious!! And I even made them 100% whole wheat!! I will for sure make these again!

Wendy Hinckley says:

Just made these and I love them! Can I freeze this dough and pull it out later to thaw and rise?