If you’re not linked up with us on Facebook, you may not have heard all the crazy, exciting goings-on with Sara and I right now! First and foremost, Sara had her baby on Friday–a healthy, ADORABLE, chubby and round baby boy. They’re both doing great.

The other exciting thing that’s going on with us right now is that we were invited to NYC to attend an event with Kelly Ripa and the people from Serendipity 3 to raise awareness for ovarian cancer research. Sara couldn’t go because of this whole baby business, but how in the world could I say no?? So this morning, my kids and I are jet-setting off to The Big Apple for a whirlwind couple of days. Don’t worry–I’ll blog all about it with lots of pictures when I get back! If you email us or ask questions in the comment section and we’re slow to respond, we’re not ignoring you! :) You can expect me to be back in the saddle by about Thursday.
At this event, we’re going to be making Serendipity banana splits. I know, right? Well, to celebrate that and the fact that the 4th of July is just around the corner and that you might be looking for a potluck dessert, I thought I’d post this Paula Deen-inspired recipe. It’s like a banana split casserole (only it tastes WAY yummier than it sounds by that description…)
You start out with all the traditional banana split stuff–ice cream (only we’re using ice cream sandwiches here), bananas, hot fudge, caramel, maraschino cherries (or strawberries. Or both.), whipped cream, pineapple, and something crunchy to go on top.

First, you layer the ice cream sandwiches on the bottom of the pan, cutting some of them to fit if necessary.

Then you add a layer of bananas,

then hot fudge and caramel, then strawberries or maraschino cherries.

Then I combined the whipped topping with a can of crushed pineapple and spread it on top of everything and added some crushed Butterfingers, although you could also use toffee bits (or crushed toffee bars) or any kind of chopped nuts.

Then you pop this bad boy in the freezer for at least 4 hours so it can set up. When it’s frozen, cut into 12 pieces and serve immediately.

It’s super easy and fun way to cool off this summer!

Heather says:

Seriously?!??! You guys rock!!!!

wdmk says:

OMG!

slmpetersen says:

Well if that isn't the cat's pajamas! What a wonderful way to dress up the old stand by – the ice cream sandwich!

Jess says:

And there goes the diet.

Stephanie Newton says:

Congrats on the new baby, Sara, and the fabulous invitation for both of you! How exciting!!!

Nicole says:

Wow, that might be the best looking thing I've ever seen! I will be trying this recipe soon.

BarbaraJo says:

This will be perfect for the 4th! Thanks.

The cool family! says:

Oh my heavens, I MUST have that!

Maranda says:

Congratulations on the new baby and the awesome invitation!

This dessert looks delicious and so easy! I'm going to have to give it a go soon…thanks for sharing!

simply.food says:

These look yummy and delicious.Enjoy the trip .

Amy says:

Great idea and soo easy!
    I just made oreo chocolate pudding pops from your site! yum! my kids can't wait for them to freeze up.
    Have fun on your trip.

This is the best cooking blog ever! I'm mildly obsessed!

Everyday I'm on here looking for new recipes and I make your recipes several times a week.

I'm definitely making this for fourth of July!

olivia's mommy says:

ohhh my GOSH! yummmmy!
    thanks again for being awesome girls!! :)

sara

Paul & Carla says:

Congratulation are in order: to Sarah and sweet Baby Boy – congratulations; to the both of you for being invited to NYC to share your amazing recipes – congratulations; to you, Kate, for this amazing ice cream "casserole" – congratulations.

You girls are killing me. More goodies. I'm gonna gain back every single pound. Every one.

Lexi says:

I know what I'm making for when all my Visiting Teaching gals come over tomorrow night! Thanks a million! :)

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea says:

You are kidding me, right? This looks amazing!

Abby says:

Well I just love you guys 10 times more now for supporting ovarian cancer research- thank you! What a great opportunity too! And congrats, Sara!!

Suzanne says:

I started a diet this morning and I think I'm doomed. This looks too fabulous for words!

leslie the licorice stick lady says:

What a wonderful easy and scrumptious lookin' dessert! I want to try this soon. :)

.k. says:

This recipe looks ah-mazing! I was going to make the mini pies for 4th of July, but now I will have to make both!

You girls are awesome. I've tried many of your recipes and they have all turned out excellent. I'm excited about cooking again! Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Sara says:

This looks so delicious, can't wait for my next gathering to try it out!

Lanie says:

Love this! I linked in my Friday Favorites this week!

Suzanne says:

I tried this tonight and blogged about it. Fabulous! So easy to make and it is delicious!
    - Suzanne
    Just Another Hang Up

Lisa says:

This was so yummy but the bananas and strawberries were frozen solid and took my guests awhile to eat lol. But sooo yummy!

Alicia says:

Made this last night, it was amazing, got tons of positive comments. Will make it again for sure! Thanks for the recipe!

Carrie says:

I made this on Sunday and my husband and friends loved it. I posted pictures like you of the process…thanks for sharing this super fun and easy recipe.

I. Want. Some. Now. This looks totally fun! I checked out the original recipe, yours sounds way better! I’m not surprised, everything OBB is out-of-this-world!

Kristen Turner says:

oh man, this looks good! Might have to eat the whole pan!

Katie says:

Ok my NEW favorite dessert! Made this last night for a friend BBQ. They were a huge hit. Genuis Idea by the way and so fun to make. Thanks!

Jana Urling says:

I just tried making it and I thought I would save some time by doing it all the night before and letting it freeze over night. DON’T DO IT!! My strawberries were fresh when I started but by the next night, they were frozen solid. ROCK SOLID!! and I couldn’t wait for it to defrost because then the ice cream would melt. We just ate around the fruit. So please don’t make the same mistake I did, and don’t do it too far before.

jEANNIE says:

aLWAYS LOOKING FOR A NEW SUMMER RECIPE WILL MAKE IT FOR A PICNIC WE ARE HAVING NEXT WEEK, tHANKS

Diane says:

I’m having some people over to watch a game this Saturday night they will want the recipe too I’m sure. YUMMO!

June Rodgers says:

why do you need to freeze this at all? I donn’t think you would want anything frozen except the ice cream. Sounds to me like it will be very nice to serve it as soon as it is made. “Just like a banana split from the Dairy Queen.”