So do any of you remember the Thanksgiving episode of Friends where Monica is cooking dinner and Chandler is feigning an interest in football, but all he really wants to do is eat and watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade? Welcome to my life. In high school, I loved going to football games, but once I got to college, I just lost interest.

However.

I get it. I also get the party aspect of things. And since I am all for hanging out with friends and eating yummy food, I happily go along with the football game watching.

This recipe has quickly become a favorite among my friends here in Louisiana, so much so that I’ve been asked to make it twice within the last week (and asked for the recipe more times than I can count). Since college football season is here, I figured there couldn’t be a better to share this dip!

This dip is actually a variation of the Jalapeno Popper Dip that I posted back in January for the Super Bowl. Same bones–mayonnaise, cream cheese, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese–but then I swapped the peppers out for artichoke hearts and added a whole bunch of garlic. Like to the point where someone asked me the other day if I was making garlic bread. And THAT is what makes it so awesome.

Putting it together is super easy–just chop up the garlic and drain and chop those artichokes…

And then mix them up with the cream cheese, mayonnaise, and Parmesan cheese, bake it at 350 for 25 minutes or so, and voilacheesy, garlicky awesomeness.

Now…I’ve kicked this healthy eating thing into high gear, so I did NOT need a ton of this stuff lying around my house because it was a disaster waiting to happen. But my artichoke-hating husband loves this stuff, so I wanted to keep a little around for him. Agonizing about how to handle this situation, I discovered these in the section of Walmart with the canning jars and food storage containers:

They were only $1.50 for three small tins and a great way to share the goodness with friends! One recipe will fill about 4 of these bad boys (or 6 if you fill them a little less full) and can actually be baked for pretty much the same amount of time. I wrote the instructions on the plastic lid

and wrapped it in a cute bow. Can you honestly tell me that if someone brought this and a bag of chips over it wouldn’t brighten your day?

Which brings up an interesting point of debate: what do you serve this with?

I love, love, love it with slices of bread (sourdough baguette, if you want to get particular), but others swear by tortilla chips. I’ve even spread it on a mini bagel for a little snack before. This time around, I served it with chunks of French bread as well as tortilla chips so people could pick what they preferred.

So what college teams are you cheering for? Or are you like me and just along for the snacks?

Sheralie says:

I use a similar recipe but use the same amount of drained cottage cheese instead of the mayo… in case anyone has the mayo aversion I have. It adds a great deal of protein too.

Stephanie says:

This looks so yummy! I like this kind of dip with pita chips too. Thanks for the delicious recipe! This one will probably frequent our house around the holidays too!

Krissa says:

OMG…this looks so so good… i cant wait to try it…thanks for sharing it..and i love the idea of giving it away with a bag of chips like that….
    seriously cant wait to try it!

Gridiron Girl says:

What a wonderful idea! It looks delicious and I love that it makes enough to share. I'm a college football coach's wife, so I'm always looking for new ideas to take to pre and post game parties. I'm definitely making this on Saturday!

Are you from Louisiana? I'm a born and raised Natchitoches girl.

Love your blog! Thanks for all the great recipes!

Jenn says:

You two have the most awesome idea – what a great gift! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your recipes and always get requests for the recipes when I share them with friends and family. :)

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Gridiron Girl–I'm not from here, but I've lived in Cenla for 2 1/2 years. With the exception of summer, I really do love it here! :)

Irish Mama says:

I make literally the exact same recipe, only minus the cream cheese. (You even use as much garlic as I do! NO ONE uses as much garlic as I do, LOL.) This is, hands down, my most popular potluck recipe. Everyone goes nuts over it, and I'm almost embarrassed to tell them how simple it is. ;) But I've given this recipe out more times than any other.

However, I don't serve with bread or tortilla chips: I'm a Ritz cracker girl! Their butteriness goes perfectly with this dip.

geraff says:

Have you tried adding spinach as well?

Jenna says:

This looks DIVINE! Oh, I am so glad I stumbled upon your website. You have so many recipe gems on here!

michellebaker says:

Is there something healthier, that can be substituted for the cream cheese??

fittingbackin says:

Um, wow, this would definitely brighten my day – looks GREAT!!

Sadie says:

Delicious! I'm all about the dip. I love serving my artichoke dip with slices of French Bread!! Definitely the best way. STacy's Pita Chips are really good too.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Geraff–I'm sure you could! :) Although I'm a huge fan of spinach, artihokes, and dip, I don't love spinach artichoke dip–I find the texture stringy and weird. But it is completely possible (and probably delicious) to add spinach to this.

michellebaker–I think the healthiest you're going to get is light cream cheese. I don't recommend fat free cream cheese because the texture doesn't handle being baked very well.

Irish Mama–As soon as carbs and I are reunitied, you can bet that I will be putting this on Ritz crackers. Why would you do that to me???? ;)

Lisa says:

I like to eat mine with plain bagel chips or Melba crackers – something solid and crunchy!
    Great dip recipe that is so versitile and love the idea of giving it away!

dev says:

While this look so so good, I am not a huge mayo person. I like the idea of using the cottage cheese. I might just have to try that!

Lauren says:

Woo! I love me some artichoke dip!!
    And even though my team sucks, I'm for Ole Miss all the way. Geaux to hell, LSU! lol

Your Fellow Bakers says:

I'm not a big artichoke fan..BUT I may make an exception and make this; it looks delicious. And the gift idea is so cute!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

This looks delish and sounds supper easy – great combo for party food. And yes, I would be stoked if someone showed up at my doorstep with that [hmm.... I wonder if my VT read your blog??]!

As for football…. GO DUCKS!! [University of Oregon] :)

Layne says:

This recipe looks great! I'm totally on board with the above posters who said they'd eat it with Melba toast or pita chips. Both sound delicious!

I was SOO ready for college football season to start and I'm stoked that it's finally here! Go Gators!

Emily {Frilly Details} says:

Oh wow, that sounds amazing!

The Warwicks says:

Its not often I have ALL of the ingredients for a recipe you post already in my fridge – so when I read this today and did happen to have everything I had to make it! Its tastes good! Only thing is, I got puddles of oil all around the edge. I didn't use low fat cream cheese or mayo – so that's probably why. Oh well, still tasted good.

Denise :) says:

This looks so yummy!!! Someone else mentioned Stacy's Pita Chips, which I'd definitely second. Your packaging was a really cute idea, too! And…Roll TIDE ROLL! :)

Jaime says:

This looks really yummy and I am the main "chef" for our tailgates in the fall. I will be adding this to the menu!

And I am a Kentucky Wildcat!

Carrian says:

i love artichoke dip!!

sjs says:

Never made artichoke dip before. But I may try this. Looks simple enough and it does sound yummy.:) Thanks for the recipe.:)
    Sharon:)

Jody says:

I'm with you on the spinach artichoke dip, so I'm excited to try this!!!! It looks awesome and I love the gift idea.

Go BYU!!!!!!

snbjork says:

I love my artichoke dip with french bread or Wheat Thins. So good!

Ashley says:

Can't wait to use this recipe for tailgating! Go Gators! :)

Adriann says:

French bread, all the way. And of course I'm for the Y, even if I never watch the game and am only mildly interested when people tell me if they are doing well or not. Currently, I'm blogging because my hubby is watching the UofU game. Ugh. All football sucks, but U football is the worst!

Oh, and I SO wish I was around to receive one of your dips! You really need to move out here with me.

teeny says:

thank you, thank you kate for this recipe! now i can make at home what i always order at applebee's. your is probably muc, much better!!!!

love

teeny says:

oh darn! messd up again!!! your's is much better!!!!

Denise says:

Can you freeze it? Or how long will it last unbaked in fridge?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Denise–I wouldn't freeze it, but I bet you could store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.

lesliewienswineryadventures says:

This looks delicious and what a great way to spread the wealth!!! No pun intended!
    Cheers! Leslie

kandie_mcd says:

This is an awesome recipe! I made it this weekend for a craft day with my sisters, thinking they could help me eat it if I didn't like it. :-) But it was so good, I wouldn't let them take any home! ;-) LOVE it! Have you tried it with spinach? Would you make any changes to add spinach? I figure the more veggies we can add to a dish like this, the more the bad calories are canceled out. :-)

Kandi- I make almost the same recipe and I add spinach all the time. You can use either chopped fresh spinach or frozen spinach that's been thawed and really well squeezed (you don't want extra moisture in there). And you don't need to really do anything special, just follow the instructions as written! (Well, maybe just eat a bit more since it's now *healthy* haha)

I made this last night for a party, and it was a huge hit!! And it was so easy. Thanks again as always!!

Jo says:

I was craving an artichoke dip tonight so I googled you. I needed a simple recipe and I found it! I am excited. I used chopped onion instead of garlic because I am pregnant and this baby HATES garlic, much to my dismay. It was so good and I can't wait to try it with the garlic in about 6 months!

lily says:

Would I be able to freeze this? I like the idea of using the small pans and freezing them. This will keep me from eating the entire thing in one sitting.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Lily–I honestly don't know. I know that freezing cream cheese is discouraged, but I don't know if the mayo acts as a stabilizer, you know? You could always try freezing a little and see how it turns out! :)

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Rebecca says:

I'm not sure when you will get this or whether it has been asked, but how many days do you suppose this would keep? Like, if I gave it as gifts and wanted to put a use by date on it?

Heather and Laila says:

This looks and sounds delish! Artichoke dip is a favorite and we eat it with fresh, mini pitas – not the chips. So, so good! I feel a pre-Christmas trial is in order. :)

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Rebecca–Sorry! I just saw this comment! I would cook it within 3-5 days, so not a TON of time.

Hope that helps! :)

Ang says:

This dip is evil-with-a-capital-E! I made some last night at my husband's request (he saw your New Year's Eve treats – ha!) and it was amazing. I made a half batch; and could possibly have eaten it all myself – as it was I had to force myself to stop after I'd downed a fourth of it. It completely turns off my "full" switch!

I'm glad I read the comments. The original recipe is perfection, but I'm also excited to try it with spinach, using neufchâtel, and subbing drained cottage cheese for the mayo. By the way, I always catch myself thinking it's strange that Applebees serves it with chips, although that's what we had it with last night. I think pita chips sound perfect!

Renee says:

I made this a couple weeks ago for a party. It was lovely. I’m going to make it again this weekend for another party. :-)

Nicole says:

Thanks for this! I made it for a party about 2 months ago and the host BEGGED me to bring it again last night. I brought 3 of the mini containers (I only filled 4 but left 1 at home). All 3 were gone before the dip had been out of the oven for 10 minutes. Thanks for such an easy, fun recipe!

Katrina says:

Can this be made in the crockpot? Or would you still bake it and then carefully put it in a crockpot to keep warm? I’ve made it numerous times for “after-work” work parties, but now they want me to bring it to a work potluck, and I’m oven-less at work!

Liz M says:

Katrina, this recipe has been a staple at family events for years and we’ve always put it in the crockpot. Just be sure to stir it every once in a while so the bottom and sides don’t burn. Cook on low until the cheese is melted, then keep on warm.

Shannon says:

I made the garlic artichoke dip as an appetizer for my sons birthday party and everyone was raving about it. It was so incredible I’m making it again tomorrow and we are going to try it as a spread on Best Bites Turkey Artichoke Panini. I also made the Best Bites Bruschetta and the Caramel Toffee dip for the party… Mmmmmmm! Never received so many compliments on my cooking in one day :) Thanks Ladies for all your hard work.

Chrissy says:

When you put it in a 9″ pie plate is it pretty deep? I am making this dip for a party and wanted to make a pretty good portion but I wasn’t sure if your pie plate is deep or shallow. I would be putting it in an oblong pan and was trying to figure if I should double the recipe or not. Thanks In advance

Jill says:

I am making this for the super bowl today! Just wanted to say thank you, your blog is one of my favorites! I knew about you guys even before the pinterest craze ;) It’s already mixed, just hangin out in the fridge til it’s closer to game time! I put it in a casserole dish, not too deep but a little deeper than a pie pan. I hope it turns out ok!

Jill says:

I just got done eating some of this dip, and it is so amazingly good! now I know why you don’t keep large amounts in the house! There is a local restaurant here where I live and they have artichoke dip just like this, it’s my favorite….I am so happy I found a recipe that can compare! yummmm!

Y4LYFE says:

And if you’re a sneaky husband, you can add food coloring at the bottom before your wife mixes it, and it will freak her out.

debbie says:

does anyone know if you can freeze this after baking? I want to make ahead and warm up over a campfire for a birthday weekend party outside? thanks

cassie jones says:

do you have information on how many this serves and nutritional values?

Meg says:

Has anyone tried this recipe with only 1 package of cream cheese?
    I am wondering if it makes less, and lightens the calories, without impacting the taste.

Anita says:

I’ve made this a couple of times and now my friends and family request it. It’s delicious!! Thank you! :)

Adriana says:

I don’t have marinated artichokes…would it still be tasty?

Rosalina says:

Any ideas on subbing half the mayo for greek yogurt? I’m all for going Greek all the way but I just get nervous with subs like that. I’m a pretty avid greek yogurt lover. I always have a big thing of plain greek yogurt in my fridge.

Y4LYFE says:

Hitting this up again!

michele says:

Kate, when I went no carb & was dying for something crunchy I started getting (or making if I felt adventurous) carrot chips. Here in TX I found them at Wal-Mart right with the baby carrots. I love making spinach do so, this looks delicious! I like to add chipolte chili powder to my spinach dip & might give that a try with this too!

Michelle says:

I make this exact same recipe (including a minimum of 6 cloves of garlic – it’s what really sets this apart from other artichoke dips!) except I use all mayo and no cream cheese. But in answer to your question on what it’s best with – I always serve it with Ritz (or similar) crackers! The butteriness really goes with the flavor beautifully. :)

Erin Walsh says:

Oh my! This is good. I can testify. My family served this in their restaurant for years. Very popular. Want to make it have that extra zing? I HIGHLY recommend fresh lemon juice. It really makes it. I usually use sour cream instead of cream cheese. It dries up pretty much in the oven, but I’m going to try the cream cheese next time to see.

Thanks for reminding me. Oh and with baked croistinis (old french bread slice then, and toasted with olive oil and salt and pepper, super good)

Carmen says:

Definitely eat this with pita chips. Best thing ever.