I’ll go out on a ledge here and say that I had some reservations about posting this recipe. It’s one of those that I’m crazy about, but I’m not sure how others feel, you know? In an effort to ensure its blogworthiness, I enlisted the help of 2 18-year-old girls, one with foodie tendencies and one who is hopelessly picky. I adequately warned the picky one about the mustard in the dressing and she was willing to try it and…this is the world’s best testimonial here…both she and the foodie loved it. Ask me how relieved I was? Um, super relieved, especially since I didn’t have a backup plan for today!

This vinaigrette is dressing a salad that I’m posting on Monday, but in the meantime, it’s a great marinade for chicken breasts as well as a perfect topping for a side salad of mixed greens, thinly sliced red onions, cucumbers, and homemade croutons (and hey, if you’re feeling really wild and crazy, you could toss some of that grilled chicken onto the salad and make it a meal!)

The Boob Nazi says:

Is it too mustardy tasting? I can handle a little mustard….
    Also, I recently discovered your blog, and I'm in love with it.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

The Boob Nazi (Love the name, by the way! :)–No, it's really not, especially if you refrigerate it for several hours after you make it. If you're super worried, try it with 1-1 1/2 Tbsp. of mustard and you can always add more.

Hope that helps! :)

Pam says:

Sounds so good. Any suggestions on the brand of mustard you reccommend? Not really clear on what to use.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Pam–Coarse or stone ground mustard is just another form of mustard (like yellow, honey, or Dijon)–I know Tabasco, Gulden's, Emeril, and most grocery stores all have varieties. Hope that helps! :)

Lori says:

I know I've said this before but How do you know what I want to eat almost everytime I visit your blog??? I was just thinking that I wanted salad for lunch but couldn't figure out what kind of dressing I would want and here you post this… Thank you!

California Country says:

I made the Buttermilk Dressing recipe from your site last nigh and I just got done liking it off my lunch plate before I checked your site today. I will try ALL your salad dressings no matter how strange they may sound!

AuntieMel says:

This sounds amazing! My question with homemade dressings is always the same – how long can you keep them in the refrigerator? A week

Mary Anne says:

Great timing for this terrific dressing. I made it last night and it's fabulous! Definitely one of my favorites now. I used Inglehoffer Dijon Stone Ground Mustard with red Wine and Herbs. It's darker and robust – perfect for a hardy summer salad with lots of garden cucumbers and tomatoes and some pecorino.

ificould says:

Sounds yummy- can't wait to try it with that tortellini salad you posted!

Tracey says:

This is a hit in our house!! I used Bavarian mustard, which is a little sweet, and I also used balsamic vinegar, which gave it a strong flavor.

Anissa says:

So I made this for the tortellini pasta recipe. It was very good, but I'm wondering why my version didn't turn out creamy looking like yours in the pictures? Does it have to do with how I add the oil?

Thanks!
    Anissa

CanuckDeb says:

It is Great! Not to mustardy… very, very good, another great recipe, Thanks!

Becca says:

Yum-I made this the other day and it was great-some zip, some tang, some mustard taste but not overwhelming. In short everything you said it was.

Tahnie says:

Is it wrong this is so good I'm licking it from the cup?

;)

michelle says:

I made a half recipe to use on your Tortellini Pasta salad and it made the perfect amount- one cup exactly!! This dressing is very good and I just dumped everything in a liquid measure and then used my immersion blender- it came out thick and creamy. I used half canola, half olive oil.

Tiffany says:

can I use Extra virgin Olive oil instead of Canola??

Amy says:

I have made this dressing several times – for both regular dinner salad as well as the delicious tortellini pasta salad. This is absolutely no joke, my five year-old loves this dressing so much that she tries to drink it out of the blender while my back is turned and always licks her salad bowl clean when I serve it to her. I even use Gulden’s Spicy Mustard (okay, not quite the entire two tablespoons – more like 1 1/2). Highly recommend this recipe to anyone who wants something slightly different than regular Italian.

Ashley says:

I pretty much HATE mustard but I did LOVE this dress–not at all too mustardy :) I’m so glad I tried it–my husband and kids (gasp!) loved it too. Another winner :)

Joy says:

LOVED it!!!! I added pepperoni to it and it was yummy!!!

laura says:

Just finished making—DELICIOUS!!!

Lois says:

A question about the ‘firm’ parts of the green onion…does this mean the white part only (end trimmed) and none of the green stem? Thanks so much!

There’s not a hard and fast rule, but it just means to use the white end and up until the firm really light green part.

Megan Parr says:

Used this dressing on your tortellini salad……SERIOUSLY SO DELICIOUS. No one flavor stood out, it all combined beautifully. Thanks!

Megan Parr says:

This dressing is AMAZING!! I love love love it. Especially on your Tortellini salad. Divine!

Staci says:

Can I use just regular ground mustard or does it have to be a coarse stone ground. Is it in the spice isle or in the mustard section?

I would look for Creole mustard or just regular ground mustard. You don’t want the super spicy stuff in the fancy little jars. Walmart actually has a really delicious house brand of ground mustard that I love and totally recommend if you can’t find Creole mustard.

I was wondering if you could use coconut oil in place of canola oil? I have about a cup left of coconut oil and I’m trying to figure out a way to use it…. The dressing wouldn’t solidify, would it??? <–new to coconut oil

I wouldn’t use coconut oil–it will definitely solidify (I know this from the time when I was in college and working at a restaurant and accidentally made the day’s salad dressing with olive oil instead of canola oil and then stored it in the fridge and by lunchtime, it was solid… :) ). You can use it in lots of other things–lip gloss, magic shell, or instead of butter or shortening in baking recipes. Or dab it on your skin–I think there’s a lot of hype surrounding coconut oil that might not necessarily be true, but I DO think it works wonders on your skin! :)

Katie says:

I made this for a cook out and doubled the recipe (along with the tortellini salad) and it was a huge hit! Best summer recipe I’ve ever found! Love it!