Last week I was at Subway grabbing a sandwich for lunch.  I had my back turned to the counter as I chatted with my sister, who had just ordered the turkey, bacon, and avocado sub.  In the middle of our conversation she lowered her head and mumbled, “Um, looks like someone could really use an Our Best Bites tutorial on how to cut an avocado…”  I turned to see a gawky teenage boy absolutely murdering the poor thing.  It’s at times like these that I realize our simple little tutorials on “how to cut a…” really do have the potential to revolutionize the world.  Or at least make some of your lives easier!

We’ve done mango, kiwi, watermelon, corn on the cob, ginger, jalapenos, and much much more.  (Check out our Tips and Tutorials Page for a full list.  Well, a mostly full list.  We admittedly suck at updating our indexes.)  Summer is a great season for pineapple so I figured it was about time we add this beauty to the list!

Pineapple
Just for ease of handling, you can pull the top right off:
Then make one slice right across the top, and the bottom.
See those brown spots?  Those little pits run in a line right down the side.
So grab a sharp knife…
And follow the curvature of the pineapple, cutting down the side.

Repeat this step around the pineapple until all of the skin is off.  If you still have some little pits in there, just use a paring knife, or the edge of a vegetable peeler to remove them.

At this point, you could cut the pineapple into slices, and use a paring knife to remove the core.

More often though, I need chunks, and in that case  just cut the entire pineapple in half from top to bottom, and then cut both halves in half so you have 4 pieces like this:

Then it’s super easy to just run a knife down the pointy edge to remove the core.
Once that’s done just chop into chunks

Now let me show you one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.  I have a million gadgets, and half of them aren’t really all that useful and end up sitting on shelves and in cupboards  (but note that they look really cool sitting there…)  This one really does get used all the time.  It’s a pineapple cutter. They’re really inexpensive and you can even find them a lot of times in the produce section of the grocery store, next to the pineapple.  That’s where my Mom discovered them years ago and our family has been using them, and giving them as gifts ever since.

All you do is slice off the top of the pineapple and pop the cutter on there.  Just twist the handle and it easily works its way down cutting the fruit in a perfect spiral.
Then it easily lifts right out
and you can keep it in slices, or dice it up.
And the bonus is, if you’re careful not to cut through the bottom, you can use the pineapple skin for a fancy umbrella drink. I could really use one of those right now.

The pineapple is a symbol of hospitality, so I think one of these cool cutters along with a fresh pineapple makes a great housewarming or hostess gift.  Plus it’s unique.  Who else will get them a pineapple cutter??  You’ll be the coolest friend ever.

In the mood for some pineapple now?
Here’s some of our favorite things that feature the tropical beauty!
Note that in most recipes you can substitute fresh for canned.
(all photos labeled clockwise from top left)
Chili-Lime Mango Chicken Skewers (sub fresh pineapple chunks for the mango!)
Stuffed Pizza Rolls (Try ‘em with ham and pineapple inside)

Alisha Stamper | Photographer says:

ooh! how I LOVE my pineapple cutter. It is the best thing in the whole world and now we eat pineapple all the time. So glad you shared the glory of those things!

IWA (e - va) says:

<3 it! What a cool toy!

Also if your pineapple is any bit sour, sprinkle with salt and you get instant sweet!

Alleen says:

I love kitchen gadgets and have never seen a pineapple cutter (or maybe never paid attention to one). Thank you for sharing all these lovely recipes.

Alleen

ErinsOvens says:

My parents brought me back a pineapple from Hawaii. I've always been one to buy pineapple already chopped because I was too intimidated to cut my own. I did some research and ended up cutting mine the same way you did. It was so much easier than I had expected. I would love to get the gadget you showed as well. That might be the next kitchen gadget on my list. The other thing I learned while researching pineapple is that you want to rinse your pineapple after cutting it (some people even said soaking in salt water) to get rid of some of the acidity. Otherwise when you eat it your tongue and throat can feel a little weird.

Steph says:

Wow! I've never seen a pineapple cutter. Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Trista says:

I love your how-to tutorials! I cut a watermelon yesterday and it was so smooth because of you! And I used to never eat bacon because I hated the grease all over my kitchen–you've introduced that tasty food back into my life as well. I'm so glad I found you. Thanks!

Ashlee says:

Thanks for sharing the pineapple cutter! I didn't know they existed.

Joelle says:

Is there a recipe for the drink you show inside the pinapple?

Joelle says:

and if there is a recipe for the pineapple drink… my email is

joelle1026@yahoo.com

I have a Pampered Chef pineapple cutter that both cores and skins, but doesn't cut into slices. LOVE it.

Kaitlyn says:

Thanks for posting this…I never buy whole pineapples b/c I'm intimidated with cutting them!

Also, thanks for linking to old recipe- I love it when you do that, because you guys have SO MANY good recipes and I forget them. The Hawaiian turkey burgers look like a perfect summer dinner!

Thanks for always being a good resources for yummy food!

Laura says:

I LOVE PINEAPPLE! I lived in Uganda for awhile, and that first way is actually the way my African neighbor taught me to cut pineapple. And I ate a pineapple every single day I was there. :) But I have never seen a pineapple cutter and am going to order one off amazon today. Thanks!

Heather B says:

Thanks, this was SUPER helpful! After almost 5 years of marriage, I have never cut a pineapple. I always make my hubby do it! I told him its a man's job (like grilling.) He doesn't really agree, but he does it anyway. I finally feel brave enough to try it on my own. And I will definitely buy that gadget if I ever see it!

Nate and I have a favorite Restaurant here that makes this TO-DIE-FOR pineapple salsa. Seriously. It is SOOOO good. Every time we eat it we always say, "okay, we need to figure out a way to ship a bottle of this to Sara so she can figure out how to make it."
    I have no idea how to ship salsa. And if I don't figure it out soon, I'm shipping you down here instead!!!

Hooray for the pineapple cutter!!! We love ours!

Alisa says:

That is so cool, I should get me one of that pineapple cutter. Great tutorial :)

coloredgrains says:

That is so cool!

ooh ooh! Emily, I vote for shipping me down there!

Mary says:

I LOVE fresh pineapple! When we were stationed in Guam my husband did a lot of traveling and would have to fly through Hawaii. I told him I would not pick him up from the airport unless he brought me fresh pineapple. There's nothing better then pineapple that's been picked the day before!

LauraS says:

I have to say, today is my first time visiting your site and I am a fan for life! I can't wait to go home and try your recipes. You are great at making them so simple to follow. Thank you so much for taking the time to make this for everyone in cyberworld, including me!

Kiasa says:

This is fabulous! I've never bought a whole fresh pineapple because (1) I'm not sure how to pick a good one and (2) how to cut it once I'm home. Thanks for the lovely tutorial. How do you know how to pick a good pineapple? I'm 6mos pregnant and seriously craving some now!

~Jenn says:

Thank you for showing how to cut things, and explaining exactly how to do things step by step. My mom never taught me how to cut things up easily and I spend a lot of time wasting and butchering things up trying to make them look good! Thanks again!

Shar says:

Okay so I live in hawaii Eat and Grow pineapples but do I know how to cut one!! Ummm, No, but I am learning!!! and this is a great tip!! But I do really need one of those awesome twisty things!!!
    Where do you get one?
    Aloha Shar

[...] 1 fresh pineapple, cut into 1″ chunks (not sure how to cut fresh pineapple? Here’s a great tutorial.) [...]