So here’s a question for you: What’s a girl to do when she a) has a cooking blog, b) has a husband who insists upon not calling the oven repairman and fixing the oven himself, even though the oven has currently been inoperable for 20 days, and c) the heat index has been hovering between 107 and 115 degrees, plus humidity? My answer? Subsisting on microwave popcorn and Popsicles. I kid you not.

Sara and I have been working on a big project on the side here and a few months back, she called me wondering if I could send her my recipe for peanut butter cup popcorn. And I informed her that she must be mistaken and that it was her recipe. Apparently it was not her recipe (and not mine, unless I was sleep blogging again, because I don’t remember adding it to our list!) But the wheels in my head started turning and I started thinking, “We-ellll…if I were to make peanut butter cup popcorn, this is how I’d do it!” A little experimentation later and I’m pretty sure I’ve discovered the 8th deadly sin.

I feel like after all the feta recipes last month, it’s been awhile since we’ve posted something sweet. Since, due to my ovenlessness, baking is out of the question, and because I seem to have some summer-induced ADD and can’t seem to muster the concentration necessary to make ice cream, we have arrived at popcorn. Evil popcorn. Peanut butter- and chocolate-covered whole grain–a sheep in wolf’s clothing.

Part of what makes this recipe so dangerous is because it’s super, super quick and easy, you’re only a few minutes away from peanut buttery diet ruin. Part of what makes it so easy is using peanut butter chips from the baking aisle mixed with a little shortening or cooking oil to make it smooth and easy to coat the popcorn with. You’ll need about 1 1/2 packages of peanut butter chips. Save the rest for a batch of cookies down the road. Okay, who am I kidding? Those peanut butter chips will be hidden on a high shelf, far away from sticky jam hands and secretly snacked upon in moments of weakness. Not that I know from ANY firsthand experience. What else will you need? Popcorn (I used 2 bags of Orville’s simply salted popcorn; it doesn’t matter TOO much, but try to stay away from heavily buttered stuff), honey roasted peanuts, and semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Then you just heat the peanut butter chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl for a few minutes until it’s completely smooth.

Pour it over your popcorn and toss to coat the popcorn evenly. Then spread the popcorn on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Heat the chocolate in a Ziploc bag just until it’s melted and smooth (mash it around in your hands to see how smooth it is–it doesn’t need to be hot, just melted). Then you can cut a small corner in the hole of the bag and drizzle the chocolate over the popcorn and allow it to set up. You can pop the pan in the fridge or freezer to hurry up the process if you need to.
Then break it up into small pieces and snack away! You could easily fill cellophane bags, plastic cups, or small buckets from the $1 section of Target for individual serving or gift-giving.

Britt says:

this just made my morning so much more bearable! knowing this recipe exists will get me through today :) thanks!

Daisha says:

That looks and sounds amazing. I can't wait to make it!

Maria says:

Hubs is allergic to nuts so I will have to eat this one all by myself..oh darn:)

Jenny says:

Awesome recipe!! I'm a PB Cup fanatic :)

Lisa says:

At what point are you adding in the peanuts. I am guessing I can't go wrong, it looks simple and delish! but are you adding the peanuts before you pour the melted pb chips over?
    I can't wait to try this with my stir crazy popcorn, you'd never go back to microwave ;)
    thanks!

Heather says:

This sounds amazing. I can't wait to make it!! I bet you could even sub the peanut butter for caramel for another tasty delight!! Homemade cracker jacks there my friend!!

Nanna says:

oh my word! that looks good, I think it was also here that I came across cinnamonbun popcorn I while back, it was a big hit at Christmas, now this! oh my I feel the need of a popcorn party coming on! LOL LOL LOL

Gorgeous Gourmet says:

WOW! This looks amazing. I think the chocolate drizzle is really what makes this over-the-top good. I can't wait to try it!!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Maria, I'm so sorry for you at this difficult time. :)

Lisa–Thanks for pointing that out! The peanuts should go in with the popcorn at the very beginning; I changed the instructions to reflect that.

Lisa says:

Thanks Kate, BTW your green enchilada sauce is my favorite thing ever! I always freeze it so I can have it when ever needed.
    Love this blog!

Teresa says:

OMGoodness!
    First of all…that popcorn looks too delish!
    Oh me! Just too scrumptious!
    Second of all!
    I'm so sad your oven is out!
    Not fun!
    Why do things have to go out!
    I just ADORE this blog!
    The recipes are THE BEST!
    xo
    And love you girlies too!

Sarah says:

How long will it stay good for do you expect? I like the idea of using it for gifts or favors and wonder how far ahead of time I could put it together without loosing too much taste and texture quality. Would freezing it affect it?

Cynthia says:

My pregnacy cravings thank you :) I believe I am headed to the store shortly :)

Heather, TJ, Brock, and Jillian says:

You would have to post a popcorn recipe right after I got done telling my husband recently that I could totally live on salad and popcorn! I can't wait to try this!

ohhh evil evil evil!

And I totally laughed when I pulled the blog up this morning and saw the title of this post, lol.

Melissa says:

All of your popcorn recipes have been the source of a diet badly ruined on numerous occasions! My butt/hips/thighs are so very lucky that I went grocery shopping yesterday and really have no good excuse to go back today! LOL

Mrs. Rogers says:

Mmmmmm, I can't wait to bust this out for our little family movie night this Friday!!!! I wonder if it could be made into little balls for each kid….

Anne says:

OMG – this is a "must make immediately" recipe. My co-workers are going to love/hate me when I bring this one in to share!

Erin says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love popcorn and being pregnant the only thing I have really craved is peanut butter and just a couple days I ago asked my self if peanut butter popcorn exist. A dream come true! It's a good thing I have peanut butter chips hiding in my freezer.

Mel says:

ABSOLUTELY to die for idea!!!! You are amazing! I thought I had "angered you guys" from my comment where I was honest about not enjoying feta…….and WOW, YOU know how to kick one out of the ballpark. My 2 very favorite things, combined together to make a heavenly concoction! I can't wait to get home and make this!!
    Thanks you ladies…

Lynn says:

This looks so good!My husband would love this. If only my daughter did not have a peanut allergy.

Nate and Jessica says:

From a fellow oven-broken gal, thanks!

Kim McCann says:

I made mine with kettle corn…SUPER yummy!!

The Salvesens says:

So, I'm not much of a shortening or vegetable oil person, would it be ruined if I were to substitute it for e.v.o.o or real butter? And this sounds delicious by the way! My mouth is literally watering. I'm ready to make this ASAP.

Karly says:

Oh my. This sounds beyond amazing!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

I really, really do need to try my hand at some of this fancy-schmancy popcorn. We love Moose Munch at our house, but aren't wild about the cost! We'll have to give this a try. Does it matter… microwave popcorn, air-popped, stove-top?? That's been my only real hesitation in trying – I had thought it was best to have air-popped.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Sarah–This will stay good for awhile, particularly if it's kept in an air-tight container, so it's great for shipping and gift-giving.

The Salvesens–You definitely don't want to use butter or olive oil–it will make the peanut butter chips seize up and become clumpy. If you're concerned about the health aspect of oils, canola is a great alternative; it doesn't have the same nutrients as olive oil, but it has many of the same heart benefits. No matter how you cut it, though, this popcorn could easily serve 16-20, so you're only getting a tiny, tiny smidgen of oil in your portion.

Washington Southworths–Nope, no particular popcorn! :) You can use air-popped, microwave-popped (try the salt only or light butter varieties), or whatever you like best! :)

Katie says:

I totally love chocolate and peanut butter so this is up my alley. I'm loving it!!!

Jasey says:

Genius! What else should we expect from you though?

ackerfr says:

Went out yesterday and made this at the office. We loved it. I did though, make mine with a little less peanutbutter (1 cup less) but added chocolate chips (1cup) to it instead, and then did the drizzle. Probably not as pretty as yours, but it was yummo!!

Maureen says:

I'll be making this this afternoon! I forgot the peanuts but I'm sure it will be amazing wither way. :) I've been fantasizing about it since I read the post yesterday. I am not a go out and get the ingredients for a recipe now type person either. I am usually willing to wait until my next shopping trip, but not this time!

teeny says:

ok, you need to move home to make all your wonderful recipes for me. love

Sally and Max Brown says:

I am new fan, but have tried many of your recipes this week…this peanut butter popcorn, the spicy cucumbers, chicken tortilla soup, brazilian lemonade, and we are doing the grilled pizza tomorrow. I have to admit, I am not much of a cook either and I have loved these recipes! THANKS! They all turned out fabulous (the soup was a little too strong for my 2 year old and my husband, but i think I added too much lime and I will just do one pepper next time). It was perfect for me! THANKS again!

Leigh says:

I showed my husband the post and he said, " THAT LOOKS AMAZING!" (it a capital letters kind of voice, no less!) Guess what we are making Sunday night?!?! (our traditional popcorn night!)

PS. I shared this site with our cooking group at church and its become a ward revolution ;) everyone LOVES it and reports back on all the fantastic stuff they've tried from here. You guys are AWESOME!

Kristina Kaganer says:

mmmmm. These look so yummy. I love order popcorning popcorn.

Just His Best says:

Has anyone substituted chunky peanut butter? I don't have any pb chips and this looks to-die-for! :)

pajamachef says:

wow, this looks fabulous. i can't wait to try it!

Krissie G says:

This popcorn is amazing and super easy! I brought it to a gathering last night and it got rave reviews :-)

Dinger says:

This looks deadly! :)

Jenn says:

Do you happen to know if any peanut butter chips are gluten-free? Or, do you know if you could somehow use peanut butter instead? This sounds delicious and sounds like something my older Gluten and Dairy free son would LOVE!

help! :)

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Jenn–I glanced at the ingredients and they do seem to be gluten-free, although they do have a bit of reduced minerals whey in them (I don't know how sensitive he is to dairy).

Hope that helps! :)

Jenn says:

@Kate …. it appears (from googling, etc) that the Reeses PB chips ARE indeed gluten free. not dairy-free, but I do allow my son minute amounts of dairy at times, so I might very well have to try this mix and see how we like it. The popcorn you use is already the brand we use :)

Thanks again for such a yummy looking recipe! :)

lesliewienswineryadventures says:

This sounds utterly awesome, and soooo easy! Thanks for the great idea!
    Cheers! Leslie

Christiane says:

Okay, I saw this on here weeks ago . . .
    and then I got hungry . . .
    what did I do? kinda imitate it. butter . . . peanut butter . . . chocolate chips . . . .

Let's just say my roommates have made me vow never to make this ever. Again. it's just far too fiendish! too devilish! TOO GOOD.

Jaime says:

Hi! I just wanted to say that I made this and it was awesome. I drizzled half of the popcorn with semi-sweet chocolate and half with almond bark b/c I love dipping nutter butters in white chocolate so I thought that would be delicious. I'm not sure which I liked better! Thanks for another great recipe!

Linz says:

Could you substitute the peanut butter chips with just peanut butter? If so, would it be 3 cups? I had all ingredients except the chips on hand so just trying to save a trip to the store.

Lorraine says:

OMG, I can't beleive I am just finding this recipe. I am so happy right now. Thanks

Kendra says:

It's my dad's birthday tomorrow and I'm making him this recipe, along with the cinabon popcorn!! YUM!!

cara says:

…… I don’t even know what to say…… I think this is the first time ever I have wanted to run into my kids room and wake them up – I NEED TO GET TO THE store so i can make this … this looks delicious!!!!! Thank you soo so much for posting!

Do you think coconut, canola or peanut oil could be used? We tend to avoid shortening and vegetable oil. Thanks, love your recipes! :)

Amy says:

First… I got so excited to see this recipe because I love everything in it and I knew I had everything to make it. So excited I melted the peanut butter chips and the chocolate chips together… darn, oh well, still sounds good! Still excited I realized I didn’t have peanuts I had almonds… I love almonds so we are good, still! Really, really, excited I went to put the sheet pan into the fridge and it the door…Ka-Boom everything flew all over the floor! A clean floor at that! Needless to say the kids felt like it was “safe” to eat because I had just cleaned the floor… Laughing! Next time I’ll slow down with excitement!!! It was still good stuff!!! ~Amy

Ellen says:

I made this today and it was yum! I wonder how to keep it somewhat crisp? I chilled it to firm it up but it seemed to take on moisture at room temp. Kind of melty in hand and chewy. Very yummy but liked it better right out of the fridge. Thoughts? I used a large bag of Trader Joe’s reduced guilt popcorn. Thanks in advance!!

Amanda says:

So, I am 7 months prego and a total pb and chocolate fan. My sis in law made this recipe for monday night football “mans night” at her house and posted a pic on facebook. It sounded delish, so I decided to make for my game night tonight. I am making a few changes and will have to let you know how it goes. I popped 2 bags of popcorn and coated with the caramel sauce from your cinnabon popcorn recipe, excepted omitted the cinnamon. I am currently baking it in the oven to give it that crispness. I will then proceed to coat it with a combo of 1 1/2 c pb chips and 1 1/2 c chocolate chips and then swirl melted white chocolate over the finished project before cooling in the fridge. I will let you know how it turns out!

Amanda says:

So, I made the popcorn following the directions I posted right above this comment and it was so yummy! It was crispy, yet chewy also and had a great balance of flavor that was not over powering. We all enjoyed it last night for our game night treat!

Brandy says:

I just made this popcorn this evening and can’t believe how good it is! My husband tried it and I can’t even say his reaction let’s just say he liked it alot :) keep up the delicious recipes!!

Kate says:

Definitely delicious! Thanks for sharing such great recipes! I swirled some white chocolate on top which was a great touch….

Nicole says:

DELISH! AMAZING! OMG THIS IS HEVEAN!
    All responses from our car club when I showed up with two bags of this wonderful popcorn. They were waiting for us when we got there as I posted pictures of me making this the night before, I know I am evil. :)

Thank you for this wonderful recipe. I think I might make this again for the girls after game softball snack.

[...] Source: A Sweet Pea’s Kitchen Creation, Inspired by Cooking Light, October 2011 and Our Best Bites [...]

Jackie says:

I see that a couple of people have asked if you can substitute peanut butter for the melted peanut butter chips and if so, what would the measurement be? I can’t see that question has been answered. Any thoughts on that?

Maurita says:

I made this tonight to give as Christmas teacher gifts and let me say…it is yummmmmmmy! My only feedback is to make the “original” Our Best Bites recipe. I made two batches, one substituting 1/2 c choco chips to replace peanut butter chips and the result was not as tasty ~ kind of heavy. (Who would’ve guessed more chocolate isn’t better?!?!) I made one small modification {my daughter prefers white chocolate} and drizzled almond bark on half the recipe and it was good, too! Thank you for SO many AMAZING recipes! OOB is definitely my go-to site!

Patrick says:

can’t wait to try this tonight. Got the ingredients at Target yesterday!

[...] here –> {OurBestBites-Peanutbutter Popcorn Recipe} [...]

Karen says:

Yum! I’ve been making the jello popcorn for a few years now for Christmas gifts. This year the kids have 22 teachers/therapists/scout leaders/etc so I needed something even faster and easier! This fits the bill perfectly! I will also be trying the peppermint chocolate popcorn as soon as I can find so e peppermint extract.

CHARISSA says:

I too want to kmow if i can replace peanut butter for pb chips. Looks delicious! Thank you.

Jennifer H says:

I tried this and although it taste great, the popcorn didn’t retain its crisp. Is it supposed to be that way or is there a secret?