Posted in Salads, Sara, Vegetables

My husband makes fun of me because I have an uncanny ability to remember seemingly minute (and perhaps useless) details related to important life events.  Like, he’ll say, “Sara remember the time we went on that amazing date and I got you that super awesome gift and shared all of the inner most parts of my soul with you?”  And I’ll instantly know what he’s referring to and say “Um..ya, you mean that one time when I was wearing that gray sweater and my red heels and I had my hair up, but not all the way up, but casually-messy up, and you wore those one pants with the hole in the knee and the flip-flops I bought you in Cali and on the way to the car I dropped my chap-stick?”

And that’s when he just stares at me.

I’m convinced this talent will some day win me lots of money on a random game show or something, but in the mean time it can also provide us with some good recipes.  See I remember a family bbq from about 2 years ago.  I know where we were, but I can’t even list the people that were there.  What I do remember, and I remember it well, was that my sister-in-law Monica showed up (and yes, I do know what she was wearing) with a little plastic container of awesome cucumbers.

Husband: “Hey Sara, remember that really important family bbq we had where all of those earth-shattering things happened?”
Sara: “Um, ya, you mean the one where Monica brought those awesome cucumbers?  Totally remember that.”

I’ve remembered that for two years and even though that was the only time I tasted them, I found myself craving them a few weeks ago.  So I got the recipe from her and here we are!  See?  I knew my talent was useful.

These are tangy and sweet with a little bit of a kick. It makes a great side-dish for summer bbq’s. There’s something incredibly refreshing about cold cucumbers, right?  And if you have cukes coming out of your ears garden, then this is especially for you.

You only need cucumbers and the stuff below- easy!

Peel those cukes and slice them up.  If you have small cucumbers you can slice them whole, if they’re larger sized, slice cucumber in half length-wise first like in my picture  below.

Next you’ll salt the cucumbers- don’t skip this step!  Salting cucumbers draws out the moisture.  If you don’t do this step, then all of this moisture will come out in the final dish and water it down.  I actually salt my cucumbers before making tzatziki as well because otherwise it tends to get watery after sitting in the fridge.  So there’s a good tip for ya!

While your cucumbers are draining you can prepare the simple marinade.  Heat up rice vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes in a pan and after it’s reduced add some minced red onion.  I used a gorgeous red onion from my garden!

(On that note- any local friends need onions??  I have more than I know what to do with.  Skip the store and come to my house!)

I love the flecks of color from the red pepper flakes and the red onions.  Pretty, right?  Just pour on the sauce and toss the cucumbers in it.

You can serve this immediately, but I think it’s best when it’s really really chilled so I recommend leaving it in the fridge for a few hours. It also allows time for the cukes to soak up all of the flavors.

It’s a great side-dish for any bbq meal, or just along side grilled chicken or steak.  Try it out at a pot-luck and listen for the oohs and aahs.

simply.food says:

Simple yet tasty relish.Sounds wonderful and tasty.

Cheryl says:

Hi, my family have been making these cukes for eons. My hubby loves them for work lunch in a thermos with cottage cheese on the side. Try a few drops of sesame oil in the marinade. It’ll knock your socks off.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Those look so yummy!! My dad used to make these all the time during the summer sans the hot pepper flakes, but I think I need to try this.

Royann says:

How long will these keep in the fridge?

giggliz72 says:

Like Kate, we made this very often growing up and I make it quite a bit during the summer as well, but never thought of red pepper flakes. We always used apple cider vinegar, too. Will have to try this in the next couple of days. Thanks for sharing!

teresa says:

This looks similar to a cucumber salad I like at the local sushi restaurant. I think I will be making this during the week and taking it to camp

my precious (^zie^) says:

you may as well add some pineapple ..just slice it like the cucumber .. for us in Malaysia we called that jelatah ..it also nice to eat together with baryani rice, curry , and spicy chicken.. try it ..

Melissa says:

I have a bowl of cucumbers soaking in vinegar in my fridge right now. Tasty, but not QUITE what I wanted. I think this may be JUST what I'm looking for – thanks a ton!

Suzy says:

Yum! What a perfect way to use up the piles of cukes from my garden!

Royann- they'll last quite a while, but the texture of the cucumbers will change the more they sit around, getting kind of soft. So it really depends on how you like them. I just ate some that were 3 days old and they were just fine.

Evangelia says:

this will be our side tonight- I LOVE cucumber salads! And I also get those blank stares from my husband for the same exact reason…

kim says:

Really tasty. I thought I had more cucumbers from my CSA than I actually did, so substituted some red cabbage. So good with the red onion. I'm so happy to have this recipe:)

Toni says:

I've been munching on cucumbers with rice wine vinegar and a couple of shakes of Pico de Gallo seasoning. I'm definitely going to try this one – sounds yummy.

And I loved your opening story!

Yoonie says:

We eat these with Briyani rice in Malaysia. You can add pineapples and green apples too!

Bex says:

Made these last night, and they were AWESOME!!!

Kira says:

When you salt cucumbers are you supposed to rinse them afterward, or just leave the salt on them?

Heather says:

Will someone please inform my garden that cucumbers actually need to grow? Thanks! They are still small plants. My garden is weird this year. Anyway, remind me where you are? Would love some onions! :) Thanks for the recipe, looks yummy and kind of like the cuc salad from Noodles & co.

Grams says:

This looks delicious. I can't wait to try it.

Stephanie says:

Oh yum! I have just recently started liking cucumbers, and this sounds so good. I'll have to pass this on to my mom; she LOVES cucumbers. In fact, you know her, Vicki Rasmussen. I'll tell her to call if she needs onions. :-)

Terri says:

These ARE delicious. I grew up on something similar, except that we didn't have the zing of the red pepper flakes. Nice addition. P.S. I totally covet that blue dish.

Kirsten says:

Okay, I was fully prepared NOT to like this recipe. I'm not a huge fan of cucumbers. But when our neighbor not so anonymously deposited about 3 lbs of cucumbers on our doorstep, and I had a potluck to go to, we made it.

We really liked them! Nice change from a salad. Wonderful!

Krissie G says:

I just found your blog this week and have already tried these cucumbers and the pb cup popcorn. I LOVE this recipe – I'll be bringing it to a family picnic tomorrow!

SingleWhiteKnitter says:

i just tried this tonight– and it hasn't chilled in the fridge mixed together yet– but it tastes *really* salty…

was i supposed to rinse the cucumbers after salting them? i'm new to the world of cucumber salads…

Eugenia says:

mmm I make this too but a little differently but its so good and simple!

singlewhiteknitter- did you let the cucumbers drain for at least an hour? The salt draws the moisture out, and generally a good portion of the salt you put on there drains out with the liquid. It's a good idea to toss them a few times while they drain. It would also be extra salty if you didn't use quite enough cucumbers or you used regular table salt instead of kosher salt. I suppose the brand of vinegar could also contribute to the saltiness as well. If you make it again, there's nothing wrong with rinsing the cukes if it's still too salty for ya.

Angie says:

That looks delicious! Can't wait to try…Oh, and just fyi, Stevia sweetener will be a little healthier…just use less because it's a lot sweeter than sugar, but all natural. :)

SingleWhiteKnitter says:

i think it was the kosher salt vs table salt that was my fatal error… now i know! thanks!

Jessica says:

I tried these and they ending up soupy, even after letting them drain with salt. Any suggestions? I let them drain in the fridge for 1+ hour. I did really like the flavor though!

grammy12 says:

Thanks for this great recipe! I have made this twice since discovering your blog last week. Adding red pepper flakes was a wonderful idea. I also thinly sliced a small vidalia onion and added it to the mix. Yum!

Valjean says:

Two questions: Do you rinse the salt off? And where does the water come in? It's listed in the ingred. list but not in the directions. Thanks so much!!!

Valjean- the water is in fact listed in the directions- it's with the vinegar and sugar mixture. As for the salt, it draws moisture out of the cucumbers so you'll find most of the saltiness drains right off with it. There's no need to rinse them, but you certainly can if you feel worried about the salt content.

Wendy says:

These are so great! I grew up eating cucumbers soaked in white vinegar and water… this recipe is such a great improvement. Thanks Sara! This recipe and your Asian Cabbage Salad our two of my favorite healthy foods now.

i grubb says:

I just ran across your site by way of face book- I totally love it. Your food and photos are just my style. Love your easy to read directions too! I’ve been making these for years- now I know why after awhile they go flat- I have never used salt to take the moisture out! My daughter and son will love the addition of the red pepper flakes! Will be back weekly for new ideas!

We had this tonight for dinner and it was a huge hit! Even the kids loved it. Thanks!

Andrea says:

Just made these to have with turkey brats tonight for dinner. I sampled a bite and they are delicious!!! I made these with Sweet N Low, as my husband is doing a low carb diet, and it seemed like it worked great. Thanks for another great recipe!!!

stephanie f says:

Made these for dinner with some girlfriends….they were so delicious. Love the little kick they have. Perfect summer salad.

Christina says:

This sounds absolutely fantastic. The one problem is, I am studying abroad in France right now and probably do not have access to Rice vinegar. Is there any alternate you could propose? I am wanting to make a full meal for my host family before I return home next week and this looks perfect for an appetizer/salad.

hmm, that’s a tricky one Christina. In a lot of things you can easily exchange vinegars, but the flavor is definitely distinct here. I think an apple cider vinegar might work well since it’s got a sweet and savory thing going on. I’d probably try that!

• Nikki says:

Apple Cider Vinegar rocks in this salad- we eat this all summer long. I haven’t had it with red pepper flakes before but I’m sure it would work well.

Amber says:

Amazing! Even my vinegar hating husband loved them!

Susan D says:

These are very similar to an Indonesian dish called Acar(pronounced a-char)
    In Acar the cucumbers are seeded,cut and salted/drained (to remove excess water), then rinsed before adding the vinegar/sugar mix and tiny whole red chili’s and small peeled whole shallots. Refrigerate/marinate for several hours before serving.

Felice says:

This is one of my favorite salads, we love love this in the summer. And I usually use rice wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or my favorite is tarragon vinegar. It usually depends on what I have enough of.

Eric says:

I make this almost note for note, the only difference being a few dollops of Greek yogurt. I love the creaminess as a foil to the tang of the vinegar & pepper flakes. (a shot of Sriracha never hurts either)

Juliann Bramley says:

I run them through the mandoline to make uniform thin slices. I had this at a going away to Africa luncheon and I couldnt stop raving about them. I was so excited when the host wrote me out a card and mailed it out to me. You will always remember the 1st time you have these tasty morsels. GREAT recipe!

Kymber says:

one very similar to a cucumber salad I make…but I also chop up some fresh cilantro to put in mine…and I don’t usually heat up the vinegar…guess I’ll have to try that…
    and would LOVE some of those onions!

Amy B. says:

I can’t wait to try this…my family loves cucumbers but I dislike them. Hopefully dressing them up a bit will help them gain my favor!

Kathleen Hopkins says:

I was just canning some pickles and while they were processing came and looked at your blog….THANKS! Now I know what to do with the cucumbers I had left over!

Diana says:

I am so excited! I love this cucumber salad thing they served at my FAV Thai restaurant as a side. I have been trying to recreate it, but…..
    This might be it! I wasn’t heating the vinegar mixture first. Thanks ;)

Mary says:

I’m making this for the second time today…first time was over the weekend. Man is this good! I didn’t have rice vinegar or red onions so I used apple cider vinegar and yellow onions (cucumbers and onions are from our garden). Wow, this is AH-MAZING! Hubby smelled the vinegar reduction cooking over the weekend and made lots of “I’m not going to eat or like that” faces. He went back for thirds :).

Alison says:

Thank you! I had a ton of cucumbers. This was wonderful.

Janell says:

I’m making this right now! Can’t wait to try them!!!

This looks delicious. Perfect for summer eating!

Laurie says:

Used Agave Sweetener instead of sugar……delish!

Carol L says:

TFS this yummy recipe. I had to laugh – I also have that uncanny ability to recall useless data from situations of yesteryear! I remember clothing people were wearing, the song playing at the time, and the same kind of details you mentioned. I keep wondering too when this is going to become a useful characteristic instead of useless! LOL

kary berry says:

can’t wait to try these! My daughter and I love cucumbers and I’m always wondering what to serve with bbq…perfect, thanks!

Just made it: recipe is easy and bursting with flavor! Thank you for sharing!

Peggy Thomas says:

Where do you live so I can come get those red onions….lol

Recipe sounds great!!!

Terry says:

These sound yummy and simple. Can’t wait to try them. The story you wrote along with this recipe was so funny, and I can totally relate. Looking forward to more recipe’s and stories from you. :)

Janerto says:

Found this recipe via Pinterest and made it for a barbecue for the next day. *love* I used Braggs Apple Cider vinegar instead of rice vinegar, since that is what I had on hand. I got rave reviews, my family loved it. It was perfect on the hamburgers and hot dogs in place of a pickle relish.

Jacqueline says:

I made this recipe and took it to a cookout the other night and it was a hit! I will keep this recipe and make it often.

Monique Vasmel says:

I’m making it right now and cann’t wait to trye it.
    I was used to mak cucumbersalade only with vinegar and sugar
    as my mother made it when I was little, but this looks like something realy
    tasty to me!

Judith Inge says:

Got the vinegar reduction going as I type. Smells wonderful and so much better than the “Cukes and onions” I grew up on (and didn’t like very much.)

Paige says:

Loved the recipe but the vinegar was really strong and burned my nose hairs off!! :) Recipe was good though

Kaitlin says:

Thanks for the recipe, it was delicious! Fresh and sweet with some zing. Loved it!

Kim says:

can I make this with white vinegar and sea salt?

The salt doesn’t matter, but you’ll have to experiment with the vinegar. I do think the rice vinegar adds the best flavor though.

Crystal says:

@kim I’m making them(right now) and used sea salt. I can’t speak for the white vinegar but the sea salt is fine, just use a little less than the recipe calls for. I didn’t and I think I’ll have to rinse off my pretty salty cukes when they’re done sweating

Cherie says:

Also great made with a minced jalapeno instead of red pepper flakes.

sissy manley says:

made these tonight and only failed to check my cucumbers and make sure they weren’t bitter. To my dismay, both of them were too bitter to eat! Bummer will have to try again later!

mL says:

I think it came out too sugary, next time around I’ll use a little less. The first few bites were awesome but then it became almost like a job to eat the rest of it. Overall I liked it, just needs a little less sugar :) Thanks!

Veens says:

Loveeeed it. My husband thought it tasted just like what they serve at a very-awesome Chinese restaurant nearby! Thank you. Love your site.

erica limberg says:

I found this on pinterest. I add extra onion and pepper flakes. Love it!

Monica Foster says:

Yummo! I made this tonight with steamed pot stickers from costco and edamami (soy beans). This was delicious! I added the edamami to the cucumbers and it was awesome. Kids loved it too… Thank you for a great recipe!

Sue W. says:

My husband loved this! It was good but a little too spicy for me. That’s okay though because he loves things really spicy! Will make again. Thanks for a great, easy and light recipe for cucumbers!

Spenser says:

Just made these today and they came out great! I always love the cucumber salads at thai restaurants and this is very similar. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Allison G says:

Sarah, I make a recipe like this too and it’s one of my favs, I also throw in slivers of red bell pepper and black sesame seeds – so yummy!

Ashley says:

I ended up changing a lot of things to meet the ingredients I had. I ended up doing half cucumber and half zucchini. I was worried about the bitter of the zucchini but was happy with the sauces diversity that complimented it well. I ended up using balsalmic vinegar with a tad of honey and brown sugar with the white sugar and onions. Turned out fantastic!!!! Will make sure to get the original ingredients next time to try!

Nina says:

Just FYI: google cucumber kimchi. It’s very similar to this and extremely popular in Hawaii.

Katina says:

I was looking for a side dish to go with Asian Wraps and I came across this recipe. This recipe is so simple and delicious. I reccomend this recipe, indeed.

[...] Saturday: Blackened Chicken & Cilantro Lime Quinoa  As you may know, my husband detests quinoa so I make him cilantro lime rice.  And I also tried red quinoa for the first time this week and it is pretty much the same.  I think it has been a month since I last had quinoa and how i have missed it.  I will also serve some kind of veggie with this but I wills see what looks fresh.  The green beans weren’t looking so hot last week, maybe i will make a cucumber salad. [...]

Sarah says:

Another great tip on the cucumbers: if you de-seed them first (I use a teeny little spoon) and then salt them and let them sit for 20 minutes or so, it will completely get rid of the moisture in the cucumbers. (:

Ed says:

What is unique about rice wine vinegar..?

[...] burger mix, spinach burgers on the grill, baked sweet potatoes, hardboiled eggs, list of recipes, sweet and spicy cucumbers, Thai Curry soup, grocery list – not all ingredients for every recipe are included in grocery [...]

R Hopewell says:

In leu of the hot pepper flakes and sugar, I use Sweet Thai Chili sauce and a touch of Sesame Oil. (no cooking required.) Great summertime salad!!!

Cat says:

I made these last night–so good they barely made it to the table!

AMM says:

I made this last time and it was very delicious! I think the cukes I purchased were a bit too soft to begin with so they were a tad soggy today in the salad, but overall delicious. I broke off the plastic tab on the rice vinegar bottle and couldn’t open it, so I had to substitute apple cider vinegar instead.

JP says:

This looks great – thanks for sharing!

[...] cooking…sweet & spicy cucumber salad, hamburgers, Southwestern salad, easiest potato soup in the crock pot, African Thai stew, BBQ [...]

[...] and Sour Cucumber Slices from Our Best Bites. This is a nice side that rounds it all out. It doesn’t really go with the other salads, but it [...]

[...] Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites. [...]

[...] your hand if you love the girls over at Our Best Bites as much as I do! I found this recipe awhile ago and pinned it. When I was menu planning, I went through all of my food pins searching [...]

Sara Wutzke says:

My friend just emailed me a very similar recipe-it must be fate for me to make it, yum!!!

chuck chalker says:

We used to make this back in the 1940s, when I was just a kid.

Lynn Rivers says:

These look great! I have my M-I-L living with us and she is on a low sodium diet.

After the salting and sitting do you think you could rinse them to remove some of the salt?? Would that ruin them? I don’t know that it would actually decrease the sodium since it’s probably already absorbed into the cucumber but I thought I’d ask. Does anyone know?

Gayle says:

I tried this and the salad turned out way too SALTY! It was so salty, it overpowered the marinade. I recommend briefly rinsing your cukes before adding the marinade. Will be trying it again.

Bayje says:

Made this tonight for dinner with tacos. It was perfect. We told my roommates 4 y/o son that it was garden candy and he gobbled it up. This recipe is definitely going in my regular rotation of side dishes. It’s simple but SO tasty!

Lisa Evanoff says:

Made a couple days ago, wish I had made a gallon!