Have I ever told you guys that I often dream about food? I can’t tell you how many recipes I’ve come up with because I cooked them in a dream and then woke up craving it. Such is the case with these pancakes! I woke up a couple of weeks ago and ran to the kitchen to see if they were as good in real life as they were in my sleep and I have to say- they were sooo much better! If only I had the body I have when sleeping, because I eat all I want and never gain weight when I’m dream-eating. These pancakes are light and fluffy and easy to make. They’re dotted with bits of melted chocolate and chunks of sweet banana. And the best part is the syrup. When I was a kid my friend Jessica introduced me to peanut butter and maple syrup on pancakes. Ever tried it?? It’s amazing. So that’s the inspiration behind the syrup. I can’t wait any longer, let’s cook these things!

We start by combining your average dry pancake ingredients with your average wet pancake ingredients.

Then place a couple of ripe bananas in a bowl and roughly mash. I use bananas that aren’t quite banana bread material. I don’t want mushy brown banana chunks in my pancakes, just soft sweet ones. And you don’t need to pulverize them either, leave some chunks like seen here:

And everything is better with a touch of chocolate, right?? Use mini chips, or roughly chop some regular chocolate chips. The smaller bits distribute better in the batter, and tossing them with a bit of flour helps keep them from all sinking to the bottom.

Then just stir it all up.

I think the best part about these pancakes is the syrup. And it only involves 2 ingredients:

Heat them up together in the microwave and watch the magic happen. Okay, it’s not really magic, it just tastes really really good. Trust me. It will be runny at first but as it sits it thickens quite a bit. If it gets too thick, just warm it up again in the microwave.

By now you have probably cooked up your pancakes. Oh yum.

Oh, but wait…. it gets better.

Pour on some of the magical syrup and it’s perfection.

Yet another way to successfully eat dessert food for breakfast? Check.

I was half way through stuffing this plateful in my mouth when I decided I should snap a picture. See the melty bits of chocolate and the chunks of banana? Mmmmm….

And For your viewing pleasure, here’s a quick segment on Salt Lake City’s Studio 5 TV show featuring this recipe!

Courtney says:

Oooh this looks SO GOOD!

Rodi Jussey says:

THIS looks like trouble! I can't WAIT to try it :)

annieglan says:

This looks amazing! My 1 year old daughter was literally trying to pick it off the screen

The Boob Nazi says:

I dream about grammar usage. To each his own haha.

Also, this looks amazing. I will have to try the peanut butter syrup immediately.

thetumpaks says:

I have always eaten pb and syrup on my pancakes since I was a little girl but I have never thought about adding the pb into the syrup! What a great idea! Glad to see there are others out there that eat pb on their pancakes (people always look at me funny when I mention it.) I want pancakes now :)

Amy says:

You can add 3 more to your group of peanut butter & syrup on pancake lovers. I am the only one in my family who does not partake in this concoction. A close friend also adds powdered sugar on top of the peanut butter/syrup. :)

Maria says:

Love that PB syrup!

Kimberly says:

This looks too delicious for words — definitely gonna try this — perfect breakfast for a cool fall morning or dessert for a cool fall evening! Thanks!

The Double Dipped Life says:

This looks decadent! Thanks for the tip on the flour w/ chocolate chips!

bridget {bake at 350} says:

I have a recipe similar to this, but it doesn't.have.chocolate. GENIUS!!! I can hardly wait to try these!

Jessica (aka Faeanne) says:

PB Syrup- who would of thought! Ingenious! I think I'm going to owe you a big thanks for this recipe- I'm positive this will make me the Best.Mom.Ever when I make them for my boys tomorrow morning!

Anna says:

Hmmm, I love peanut butter with bananas. I love Peanut butter with chocolate. And really, you can't go wrong banana chocolate chip either. Hello, Saturday morning breakfast. (I even have all the ingredients in the house.)

mrs.hively says:

I have LOVED peanut butter on my pancakes since forever! I never thought to mix the syrup and pb together first…GENIUS! Thanks for the idea!

Shonda says:

OK, I have to make these!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Ooooh, those look so, so good!! Some girls in my unit at Girls Camp one year introduced me to peanut butter on pancakes with syrup and I haven't looked back since!! Never thought to try combining the PB and syrup into it's own syrup, though. Pretty smart if you ask me!

Evelyn Campbell Curtis says:

Yum! You've got my mouth watering! And that is hard to do, ever since the beginning of my pregnancy (no cravings–backwards, I know). I totally know what we are having for dinner! HA!

becca says:

I have a few things to say to you, Sara:
    1. WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?! I decided last week I was going to be very careful about the *quality* of the calories I ate, not just the quantity. You have screwed that up with this recipe. Also with your brownie recipe that I caved in and made last night ;)
    2. I find the first paragraph hilarious, but only because I have been around since the beginning of this blog and I am fairly certain there are at least 4 or 5 posts that start out the exact same way LOL
    3. Dream eating is great. No joke, a few years ago while on the first phase of the South Beach diet for two weeks, I would dream of eating sandwiches and cookies. Surprisingly, I wasn't disappointed when I woke up and found it wasn't true. I got to enjoy them, but didn't break my diet plan :D

Crystal says:

Now I am dreaming about peanut butter syrup, chocolate and bananas. Looks so good!

diaryofamadhausfrau.com says:

There's nothing like starting the day off right with three great flavors. The Peanut Butter syrup is inspired. Wonderful recipe.

Jenna says:

Okay…so I don't even like bananas, and you've got my mouth watering! I can't wait to try this!

Tauni says:

It's late afternoon, but this sounds simply delicious!

Lauren says:

I pretty much want to dive into that platter of pancakes with peanut butter syrup! What a fantastic recipe :).

SarahLynn says:

My Husband is going to be so excited when I surprise him with this one night. His favorite combination is Peanut Butter, Banana & Chocolate. Thank You for such awesome recipes.

Bert and Benton says:

This looks divine! I ALWAYS eat pb on my pancakes, but never have i thought to mix it with the syrup, yummmmy!! i am so making these tomorrow!

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) says:

They look so fluffy and delicious, topped in that sauce this is the type of breakky I dream of.

Elizabeth says:

I know other people have had similar experiences, but now I have one to share too! I was just thinking today that I would try to make banana pancakes since I have some leftover bananas (they're banana bread bananas though) and then this is the recipe for today! I just ran out of white flour though, so I'll be trying them with whole wheat flour. My dad is a peanut butter fiend so I've for sure had peanut butter on pancakes, but I've never thought to mix the peanut butter with the syrup! Dinner for tomorrow done… Thanks!

WOW!! What a winning favorite and peanut butter syrup?!

~ H says:

WOW way to go and make me look like a dork for telling my husband that he was NOT NORMAL for slathering his pancakes in PB and then drizzling syrup over them. I may have to keep your post a secret so he doesn't rub it in. My kids are now all addicted to PB and Syrup on their pancakes. I guess I may have to show them the beauty of mixing the two in the microwave. Amazing, just amazing.

Meridee says:

These were soooo yummy. Should I thank you for expanding my waiste? They were delish!

Kelli says:

My kids are going to love me in the morning! They will probably just try to drink the PB syrup alone!

bttrflybabydoll says:

My all time favorite food combo is pb, chocolate, and banana! Oh my yum! I will be trying these VERY soon! Thank you!

Found you through foodgawker!

Julia Osmond says:

Made these tonight for dinner(love breakfast/dessert for dinner:) and it was a huge hit! I love to have fun names like "Chunky Monkey Pancakes" for the food we eat. My son who is obsessed with monkeys was especially happy. Thanks!

melanie:::adorkable says:

Oh my! I'm a pancake-aholic. I can't wait to try this!

Carrot Jello says:

I dream of a world that doesn't mix fruit and chocolate together.

Tara Lynn says:

Question: I am cheap so I never buy real maple syrup, can I mix the pb with the cheap syrup? :)
    BTW:this sounds/looks divine and fattening…but I guess the latter doesn't really matter! ;)

kandie_mcd says:

Wow, talk about a sugar coma! I need a nap now! These were super tasty…Though I had to break it up a bit with some fresh peaches, and next time I think I'll add some sausage too, just to cut back on the sugar! :-)

Beth says:

I want this RIGHT NOW. As is, I might make this instead for brunch tomorrow…

Jane says:

I made these for Sunday breakfast and they were so good! Thanks for another wonderful recipe.

The Nedrys says:

I made these for breakfast for my little guy this morning and they were a big hit! I loved them too…I have been combining pb and syrup since I was a kid!

Jessica (aka Faeanne) says:

I made these thinking my Littles would love them- and they did. What I didn't expect was that I would be gobbling them up mindlessly as well! I can't believe how close these come to heaven on a fork! It's that divine PB Maple Syrup.

Blogged about them here:

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer says:

Think I decided what to make for dinner… Night Breakfast tonight!
    These look so good, I am so positive this will be a hit with the kiddos.

Chef Bee says:

This looks great! Definitely a vacation breakfast. Bravo!

Plan B

jack!e says:

Oh my, that sounds like pure heaven. =]

jennieo1024 says:

Thank you for the idea about the peanut butter maple syrup. It's probably the best thing ever.

I usually make pancakes for my boys after I go for a run on Sunday morning, and I <3 the pb syrup…. I *need* it after a run, y'know.

Trimble says:

Oh my goodness! I'm not sure if there's anyone on this earth who loves peanut butter more than I. I can't wait to try this as soon as my son is done nursing! Another HUGE thank you!

Sara says:

Last night I tried a new recipe for a banana-chocolate chip cake. The recipe didn't call for frosting, just a dusting of powdered sugar, and the cake was pretty mediocre. Then I remembered this post and mixed up some PB syrup to use as a glaze. It was so good! As it cooled it set up nice and shiny — I think it would be perfect for a Bundt cake. I think I might also try adding some powdered sugar to make frosting. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Practically Spent says:

Just wanted to say thank you for this one. My 3-year old loves to bake and this is her specialty. I add pecans (we already live on pb), use stevia vs. sugar and coconut oil instead of canola. Ooooo!!! They're SO good!!

Camille says:

Pancakes are one of my comfort foods anyway and this is seriously a little slice of heaven right here on Earth!!! THANK YOU so much for the idea (although my waist-line doesn't)!!! ; )

Kira says:

I made this last night. My two year old ate THREE! I did make some modifications (just couldn't pull the trigger on all that sugar). I left out the chocolate chips (although my children would have thought they died and went to heaven). I also did 1/2 wheat flour. I also substituted the maple for Wal-mart sugar free syrup (it actually is not too bad).They were great!

Dixie Mom says:

I just made these and I'm coo-coo for coco puffs over them. Mine aren't as nice and fluffy as yours but the flavors are awesome. Like dessert. :)

fitnstitchin says:

Wow, these look wonderful! The peanutbutter and syrup together… Wow! :-) ~Thanks! Take Care

Brianna. says:

Normally I don't like bananas in anything and chocolate chips only in cookies, but I definitely have to make an exception for these! That peanut butter syrup is divine….

This recipe has become an absolute favorite at my house! I’m linking up to you on my blog today: http://viewalongtheway.blogspot.com/2011/03/thursday-links-i-love.html

Yummmm. :)

Stephanie says:

My husband and I love these pancakes! They’re so easy and taste way better than the bisquick mix. I haven’t had any bananas handy lately so I’ve just been making them into chocolate chip pancakes–still amazing :) The other day I told my husband I wanted pancakes for breakfast, and he said he’d only eat them if they were being served with peanut butter syrup :)

Featured your recipe on my blog today! It was fantastic!

Felicia says:

I just made these and I’m pretty sure they changed my life. Such a simple idea!

Paula says:

Oh MY! Having just read this, I absolutely have to go out and make it…. Chocolate, bananas, syrup & peanut butter! Sounds like heaven!

Paula says:

But would you be able to tell me how much a cup or half cup is in MLs or spoons? As we don’t measure in cups in the uk :(

Nick says:

Oh my, I didn’t know peanut butter syrup was so easy! I’m doing it!

Jamie says:

My husband and I love this recipe. For some odd reason my kids don’t like it though. Maybe it’s the banana in the pancakes, but I’m really not sure. I love it though and can’t get enough of it!

eunice muscat says:

amazing work super well done

Misty Conn says:

SO GOOD!You ladies never disappoint! :) Im just glad my diabetic husband went to work before these were done, cuz he probably would have finished them off and I don’t even need to look at the carbs and sugar intake to know they are out of this world. lol Now its time to try that freezing technique. :)

[...] Caramel Sauce Chocolate Chip & Candied Bacon Pancakes with Nutella Maple Syrup Chunky Monkey Pancakes Bacon [...]

Samantha says:

These are delicious! They are fantastic for a weekend breakfast. I’m sharing them on my blog today. Thanks for the great recipe!

Holly says:

These are SO delicious! The only thing I had to buy was buttermilk & a few bananas. Everything else on the list were staples for me, at least! I remember looking at this recipe a few months ago and was like, eh. But after being sick for 9 days and having almost no appetite, this was just the thing! And, my fiance made them. Double bonus :)

SaraBeth says:

Get out the front door! I could totally just drink the syrup. The pancakes kick butt as well, but oh baby that syrup. WOW!

Donna says:

These were wonderful! The kids enjoyed them but I loved them! But I have always been a peanut butter and banana sandwich eater, so this was just great! Thanks for a great recipe!!!

KmarieJ says:

I’m pretty sure these were the best pancakes I’ve ever had! And you’re right- the syrup IS the best part! Thanks for another awesome recipe!

Cathy says:

I am having overnight guests and am thinking of trying to make this recipe but bake it like a cake. Would I have to change anything in the recipe to make that work? These ‘re our favorite treat breakfast. Thank you!

Jess says:

I found this recipe via Pinterest, and made these this morning. They were wonderful! I didn’t have any buttermilk so I did the lemon juice/milk trick but otherwise kept everything the same! I ate them with Nutella in between one layer and banana-flavored PB in between the second layer and maple syrup over it all. I am re-pinning this and will definitely add this recipe to my repertoire. Thank you!!

[…] Pancakes by How Sweet It is Whole Wheat Cherry Vanilla Bean Pancakes by How Sweet It is Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes aka Chunky Monkey Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup by  Our Best Bites Strawberry Shortcake Stacked Pancakes by Oh She […]