If you’re coming in late, we’re doing back to school week!   Kate’s done 2 great posts about Breakfast on the run, and School Lunches.  And I showed you a fun rainy day recipe for homemade Slime- perfect for entertaining little (and who are we kidding? BIG) hands.  Today I have a little hodge-podge of 3 more kitchen tricks.  This stuff is purely for fun, and for making your kids think you are awesome.

#1  Glow in the Dark Food

The secret to glowing food is tonic water (diet tonic water works too).  It contains quinine, and guess what happens when you expose quinine to black light?

fun, right??  So if you mix up a drink (like crystal light lemonade like I’ve done below) and add a little tonic water…

magical glowing beverages!  (Have I ever mentioned that Kate hates the word “beverage?”  Hey Kate, beverage beverage beverage!! She’s totally hiding under her computer desk right now.)  Pretty much anything you can make that includes water can glow with tonic water.  Like Jello for example:

My kids thought that glowing jello was pretty much the coolest thing ever.

Now tonic water does have a nasty bitter taste to it.  My kids actually didn’t notice at all, which I thought was strange.  Maybe I’m just super sensitive.  I don’t like the flavor, so if you’re like me know that you only need a little to make it glow.  Adding a bit to juice or punch isn’t very noticeable.  And if you do jello, you can use part regular water (half and half, or even less tonic) to minimize the bitter taste.  And if you were wondering, YES you can even use tonic water to make glowing gak!

Think of other creative uses and gather stuff on your kitchen table.  Turn down the lights, flip on a black light, and watch your kids ooh and ahhh as they sip glow in the dark juice and chomp down radioactive jello.

#2 Magic Milk Colors

We have an issue in our house with sippy cups.  Every morning I give my boys a lidded cup with milk and every afternoon I find those cups somewhere in the house.  It’s not so old that it’s reached the nasty curdled stage (all you Mom’s know what I’m talking about- right??) but it’s old enough that I don’t want my kids drinking it anymore.  I hate watching it go down the drain, so lately we’ve been using it for play time.  My sister in law Emily told me about this one and I vaguely remember doing it as a kid too!

Place milk in a shallow dish and add some drops of liquid food coloring.

Now grab a *magic* toothpick.  What?  You don’t know where to buy magic toothpicks??  Just dip the end in dish soap :)

and let your kiddo touch the milk with it.

The colors instantly shoot out at lightning speed creating a wake of rainbows!  Try dipping the toothpick in the color first and then the milk and you’ll make rings.

Do it a few more times and then just sit back and watch.  As the soap disrupts the surface tension of the milk, the colors dance around all by themselves.  Kind of like a funky kaleidoscope.

Until of course, seconds later your kids can’t contain themselves and they stir it all around making a cloudy brown mess.  Not that I know from experience…

#3 Giant Bubbles
I have a little sister named Becca and my kids adore her.  One of the reasons is that she has endless ideas about how to entertain them.  Seriously, I really need to start taking notes.  Last time she was visiting my 4 year old came in the house from the back yard and said, “Quick Mom, Becca needs the dish soap!”  Since it was for my sister, I didn’t blink an eye, I knew she was up to something fun.  And sure enough…

All you need is a kiddie pool, a hoola hoop, some water, and a bunch of dish soap.  And then you can have human sized bubbles.  My boys thought this was SO cool (and so did I!)

My little guy is just mad his older brother wasn’t letting him pop it ;)
So there’s 3 more things for your Bag of Tricks.  File them away until you suddenly need something entertaining from ordinary ingredients!  Here’s a few more fun things:

diamondgirl says:

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

one thank you for each new idea posted! LOVE THEM ALL! I cannot wait to try them with the kiddos!

Kalyber says:

These are PERFECT for my son's mad scientist birthday party. Thanks

A Busy Nest says:

Thanks! My kids are going to have some creative fun today.

Great stuff! I linked to you and your fantastic ideas.

grammaDawn says:

Isn't all peanut butter edible? I know you meant 'clay' though.

Reb says:

Holy cow, jackpot post! Thank you!

Erika says:

Love it! Can you use tonic water to make Gak?

phasejumper says:

Glow in the dark jello, here I come!

Linda in New Mexico says:

thanks so much…. my grands are gonna have a blast with the milk and I'm gonna surprise them with glow in the dark "beverages" tonight at dinner…turn off the lights and Oma is magick (now if I can remember where I put the black light from Halloween) tee hee, The Olde Bagg

Mariel says:

The glow in the dark drinks…I mean, BEVERAGES…would be PERFECT for my Halloween bash this year! You are my best friend.

Erika- YES! I meant to mention that. You *can* use the tonic water to make glowing gak!

Chic Cookies says:

Love the glow in the dark food! So brilliant. I posted a link on my column (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com).

Alicia F. says:

I'm going to use the tonic water for our Halloween bash this year…I'm excited already!

Also, you may be more responsive to bitter compounds than your kids. Check out wikipedia's "Taste" article for how our genetics determine our abilities to sense bitterness.

Brimful Curiosities says:

We are definitely going to make some glow in the dark food. Awesome!

Tia says:

that looks awesome!!! I just wonder where you get a black light…

Jan Marie says:

How much water to how much dish soap? Does it need glycerin or anything else?

I had no idea tonic water glows in the dark. So awesome! It would be fun to make glow in the dark treats for Halloween. :) thanks!

Jan Marie- I don't have specific measurements for the bubbles, she just poured it in until it worked! I do know it took lots- and we just used Costco brand liquid dish soap.

Tia- black lights are relatively inexpensive. You can find them easily on-line or at party supply stores.

Patty Ann says:

OH what great ideas! I have some grandkids coming to visit that I will have to experiment on!! Thank you.

Simpson Home says:

Aaaahh! It didn't work for us. I was so happy because I am throwing a "glow-in-the-dark/black light" birthday party for my son TODAY. We went to the store and bought the generic tonic water. When we took it into the basement and the black light it had an itty-bitty glow to it. We added it to jello and it didn't glow at all! SO SAD. What kind of tonic water did you use? Any other suggestions?

Simpson Home- that's so weird! The bottle itself should glow like in the pictures. I wonder if you just got a dud?? Or if the generic is weaker? I just used Schwepps brand.

Jane Ko says:

This looks like so much fun! I'm going to try it out for my college friends and me :)

I would like to invite you to participate in my giveaway

Mae Belle Creations and Musings says:

I love this!! Now just have to find a black light somewhere, but with Halloween coming up soon I'm sure they'll be popping up in the stores. I've added your link at my site as well :)

Hale House says:

You have to have a good quality black light for it to work. At first I bought the cheapest one along with store brand tonic water and it didn't work. So I exchanged the store brand tonic water with name brand and it still didn't work. After realizing it was the light, I bought a good one and VOILA!!!

Hale House- good point. Those black light *bulbs* that just look like regular light bulbs aren't strong enough. You need the long skinny tube style.

The Craft-Arty Kid says:

These all look so fun!! And im 20 years old haha

Elizabeth says:

Awesome! I LOVE quinine! I used to get freaked out when I ordered Gin and Tonics at nightclubs, until I found out the reason! I will be trying out the giant bubbles for my son though!

Sophia says:

This drink really look awesome. I definitely want to try the recipe soon. I love new and interesting drink recipe. I found this recipe for Bohemia Sangrita recently. It's pretty interesting too. I thought you might like it too. Keep up the awesome blogging!

janabananagirl says:

I found a black energy saver bulb at Home Depot. It works in any regular light socket, so you don't need to buy anything extra. It was about $5 and works so much better than the "black" incandescent bulbs you find elsewhere.

Jessica says:

Can you make the glow in the dark drinks in different colours???

Jessica, you can do colored drinks and they'll still glow. They kind of all turn out differently depending on how it reacts with the blue tint of the light.

Killlashandra says:

I am so buying a bottle of tonic water to try this. I had no idea! Thanks for sharing.

Pam Burrus says:

All great things… however I have to say my fav part was Kate hating the word Beverage! My sister HATES the word biscuit (she hates the way scuit is spelled) and peruse so that part of the post just made me laugh. I love tormenting her with those words!!!

Mandy says:

I just published my "glowing" drinks thinking I was so creative then found out that you had already done these a MONTH ago! I added a link to you in my post & love the jell-o jigglers idea.:)

Lindz says:

Tried the tonic on a trial run tonight before our big Halloween party Friday night. Bought name brand tonic and a $5 GE blacklight from Target, but it isn't working for us. Maybe I'll have to try the energy saver one mentioned earlier… Otherwise I'm turning to dry ice!!

Jen @ Passion-for-Parties.com says:

Oh my gosh, this is AWESOME!!! We're throwing a black light party for our teens this weekend and this is PERFECT!!! Thanks so much, ladies, once again, for your fabulous ideas! LOVE this blog! <3

sheavion says:

that is cooooooooooooollllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheavion says:

THAT LOOK GOOD FOR THE KIDDS

What a fun project!! Can’t wait to try this with my boys! I loved this so much I shared your page on my blog: http://our-scott-spot.blogspot.com/2011/07/fun-find-friday-family-activities.html

char says:

you need the tonic water with quinine to glow in the dark

jackrabbit says:

You give the BEST ideas! Thank you so very much for sharing.

Audrey @ lonely paper designs says:

Thank you for the info about tonic water..who knew?! I can’t wait to try it out myself!

Joyful Mama says:

Hi there! I discovered your blog via Pinterest and just posted about doing the magic milk rainbows – my children had SOOO much fun with this, so a great, big THANK YOU for the lovely idea!

Lynda says:

If you had some water-colour paper handy, laying it on the surface *before* the kids mix it to a muddy brown, you’d have a gorgeous picture.

Pam says:

I love it I love it! The glowing food and drink is fantastic. Especially for Halloween. I can’t wait to play with this idea for my party. Thank you for such a fun site. I enjoyed reading.

Kim says:

Oh my good gracious glowing food. I wish my parents had known this when I was a kid. I must spread the word!!

Michelle says:

this is great! i am in charge of finding food for the dance (glow in the dark themed) and this is perfect!!!

Debra Ferrie says:

What FABULOUS ideas! We can’t wait to try them out!

Hi Sara! We loved your glow in the dark beverages/jello and featured your idea on our blog, MPM School Supplies Blog!

You can find the full feature here:

We were sure to give idea/photo credit, as well as a link back to your blog, but we’d love for you to check it out! If there are any problems, we’ll be certain to take the feature down immediately!

Thanks so much,

Kayla Johnson
    tristro.com/kayla

Carmen S. says:

I can’t wait to try it with the kids…Thank you.

Vickilicious says:

What great ideas! Thank you!!!! My kids are gonna love the glow in the dark jello! Can’t wait to try it! And the glow in the dark drinks will be the spotlight for adult parties ! YES!

Quinton Lambert says:

Booyah! I’m doing a project for social studies and this just helped me out a lot

stacie says:

Trying to find a recipe or a “how to” glow in the dark cookies. Is that possible??

Lisa says:

I loved the magic milk colors idea. I tried it with my kids, they loved it! Thank you so much for sharing! Here are some pics and videos: http://www.teachingsmartypants.com/2012/08/14/best-of-pinterest-colorful-flowers-exploding-soap-rainbow-milk-and-domino-parking/

Celeste says:

How much tonic water do you have to add to the drink to make it glow?

I love the glowing jello – I’m planning a glow in the dark Halloween party for my son and this will be perfect.

Meadow Anaya says:

Can u move when your inside the bubble without it popping?

[...] is an activity that I have seen posted online in a few different blogs, and finally decided to try. J and I decided to call it MILK COLOR EXPLOSIONS (while saying in the [...]

[...] – Светящиеся в темноте напиток от Bites [...]

Vinai says:

Hi Sara
    How are you
    I want to know that how should get the glowing light like neon in the food products So please suggest me how to use this and any recipe

[...] 3. I had no idea a person could make glow in the dark food and drinks at home. Guess what? You totally can and when you find out the super simple, non-toxic trick to doing it,  you’re going to be like, “What?” Nice tutorial at Our Best Bites. [...]

Monique says:

I’m learning to be a teacher and wanted to experiment with things that glow. Thanks, this was very helpful.

[...] find a recipe for Ghoulish Glowing Cupcakes here. And you can make glow in the dark jelly, ice-cubes and. . . so much more. Use clear cups so that you can really see the glowing [...]

Terri says:

Terrific ideas .. each and everyone .. these are good ideas for nursing homes and assisted living homes as well… i know the ppl will truly love these.. i sure do.. ty again.. and keep up the good work .. God Bless… :)

TankGirl says:

Great ideas! I have to try these with my kids (9 & 5). And your boys are absolutely adorable!

Kacie says:

Quinine in tonic water is not healthy at all over certain amounts, so do try to limit the use of the glo-food idea.

kersten says:

I love your ideas. Where can I get the tonic water? I’m 9 and I’m planning on making both for my brother. (age 6)

Thanks alot!

Aerial says:

These are amazing!!!!!!! :D

Aerial says:

I’m not sure I would eat it…but it’s worth a try to make it!! :) <3

[…] have an awesome basic giant bubble recipe, but I saw these awhile back and wanted to take things to the next level. Once we got the hang of […]

Auntiepatch says:

Edible Peanut Butter Playdough

Safe-to-Eat Finger Paint

Homemade Slime aka GAK

Not opening?!?

[…] Mais detalhes você encontra aqui: Family Fun, The Crafting Chicks, Our best bites. […]

[…] Click here to find out how to turn any drink into a spooky glowing […]

Donna Hannon says:

Love these ideas – thank you!

[…] here to see how to make […]

[…] Glow in the Dark beverages – Spooky!! […]