For a lot of years I was scared of anything involving a candy thermometer. It just all seemed so hard and complicated, not to mention dangerous (If you didn’t know, I tend to be a bit accident prone in the kitchen. And in life in general.) But then I tried it and discovered it wasn’t scary at all. In fact it’s the opposite (the opposite of scary being not scary. Just FYI.) Candy thermometers are super cheap and you can even usually find them at the grocery store. Grab one on your next trip so you can make these apples!

I’ve made honey caramel before–it’s so easy, just a few ingredients. But I never thought to make a caramel apple with it until I saw a contributor at Everyday Magazine do it in a recent issue. I love honey, and honey caramel has a distinct honey flavor. It’s a slightly different taste combo than your normal caramel, so it’s fun to switch things up!

When say it involves just a few ingredients I’m not exaggerating. Really, only TWO main ingredients!

That’s right, honey and cream. Yum already, right? Other than that you just need a pinch of salt and a little vanilla.

Do you all remember our tip about measuring sticky stuff? Spray your measuring cup with non-stick spray first.

Then dump in the honey

and watch it magically slide right out without sticking to the sides of the measuring cup. (Please, hold your applause!)

Toss a hefty pinch of salt in there too and then bring it to a boil. That’s it! Just keep it simmering until it turns into a luscious golden caramel and then add a little vanilla.

Now it’s ready for dipping. Twirl some chilled apples in there. Red, green, as long as they’re crisp and cold they’ll be great! This would also be great to just dip cold, sliced apples in for snacking.

Chill in the fridge to set the caramel. At this point you could leave them as is like I have. I think the unique flavor of the honey makes them interesting enough on their own, or you could drizzle in chocolate, roll in nuts or cookie crumbs, etc. See this post here for a great how-to.

keepitsweet says:

i have been craving caramel apples lately:-) great idea to spray the measuring cup before measuring the honey!

Ramsey says:

I really enjoy caramel and apples but I prefer to dip my apple slices in caramel. Could I make this recipe then store the caramel in a container and just pull it out to dip apples slices in? If so, could it also double as an ice cream topping?

The Boob Nazi says:

Okay, I just woke up, so I might be hallucinating, but does the recipe mention when to put the vanilla in?

The Boob Nazi says:

Um, never mind. haha

Miko's Girl says:

I made these last week for the girls after school. I went to an apple orchard a couple of hours away and they gave me the recipe.

Shannon says:

Spraying the measuring utensil with cooking spray first?!?!?! GENIUS!!! I really don't know why I have never thought of that. You girls rock my world.

Jenn says:

this sounds interesting… but…

I'm used to thick, oeey-gooey milky tasting home-made caramel. My favorite caramel apples came from a grocery store I used to work at and the caramel was actually made in the bakery. BEST. CARAMEL. EVER. They used to sell tubs of the caramel too.

Alas, it's been a long, 13years since I've had any of that delicious-tasting, creamy, milky, home-made caramel.

Brooke says:

Could this be used to coat popcorn for Caramel Corn, too? Would it harden enough? I need to make some for a church activity and was looking for a good, simple and yummy caramel recipe.

The Merriam Family says:

Would the 260 degrees work for Utah altitude do you know? Don't know if you are at sea level or not. Sounds and looks great!

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer says:

Yummy, perfect for right now. Thinking of doing Caramel Apples for kids class party so going to test this one out!

The Whimsical Princess says:

Does the caramel stay on after is stands for awhile? I made caramel apples with the squares and the caramel all slid off even in the fridge :-( These look really yummy!

fittingbackin says:

These look amazing! I haven't had one since I was a kid – must make these, tis the season and all!

CrystalsCozyKitchen says:

Ooohh, those look so good! The honey caramel sounds absolutely tasty.

ificould says:

mmmm, these look delicious! fyi – I voted for you at BHG!!

Kristin says:

Pretend you wanted to make these caramel apples immediately but couldn't run to the store. Would whole milk be an okay substitute for the whipping cream?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hey, Kristin! I don't have to pretend, I've been there.And I can tell you that you DEFINITELY want to use whipping cream. Don't ask. :)

Lisa says:

Looks yummy! Love the Miller Honey–lucky me he's my dad's best friend so I've got it coming out my ears! One question–when you place the apples onto the plate, do they stick when trying to serve them? Do you let them firm up on parchment or something before putting them on the plate?

jenW says:

Okay kids… so this September I did something crazy and went to work at the SE Idaho Fair. Doing what you ask? Why dipping caramel apples!

So, I have a few pointers. To reduce that amount of pooling at the bottom of your apple, immerse the entire apple in caramel- up to the stick then run the bottom of the apple (really the bottom 1/3 of the apple) around a wooden spoon handle. It will take all the caramel off the bottom leaving gravity to cover the rest of the apple with the top portion that is left. It works great and won't leave you with a carmeless apple and a puddle of gooey goodness. :)

Cares and Mimi says:

I just made caramel for the first time this year. I thought it would be so difficult, but it wasn't. Can't wait to try this recipe out! Yum!! – Carrie

The P*dunc's says:

Not a good blog for a tired, hungry, pregnant woman!!!! I am wiping up my drool after scanning about a year's worth of recipes. Can't wait to try this, that, or the other thing!

Tea says:

Voting daily!!!!

lesliewienswineryadventures says:

This looks delish!!! If you wanted a more solid caramel to dip your apples into, wouldn't you just cook it a bit longer? This would be yummy over ice cream!!!
    Cheers! Leslie
    PS Looks like you've pulled way ahead in the polls! Great job!

bridget {bake at 350} says:

These look FABULOUS!!!

Nurse Heidi says:

Oooh I'm excited about this one! I have been looking and looking for a good caramel recipe that doesn't call for corn syrup. Thanks for posting this!

GumbyandPokey says:

So, with caramel, I usually have to stir and stir and stir. This recipe implies that I get to walk away from it all and just let it heat up. Is this really true??

Cindi

Sorry I've been out of town so I'm just now getting to the questions!

Ramsey- yes, I mentioned in the post that it's great for just dipping apple slices. Just warm the caramel until it softens after setting.

Brooke- here's the best caramel corn recipe! http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/09/caramel-corn.html

Merriam Fam- should work just fine. I'm in Boise, not too much lower than you.

Whimsical Princess- the trick is making your your apples are 1. Dry and 2. Cold. It will definitely stick!

Kristen- as Kate said, yes, definitely use cream!

Leslie- I wouldn't cook it any longer than indicated. It's already at a perfect dipping consistency, in fact, when it sets, it would be too hard to dip slices, so just cook it as indicated and dip warm!

Cindi- you just need to give it a stir occasionally, like maybe every 5-7 minutes or so. I just do stuff around my kitchen and stir it as I walk by every once and a while.

Deborah says:

So interesting! I've never seen caramel apples like these before!

b says:

I made these and they were delicious. Easy and wonderful – a recipe I will keep and pass on to my daughter.

Kristen says:

These look so delicious. Bookmarking for future use for sure!

What a great idea to make honey caramel apples! I can’t wait to try this one. Thanks ladies!

Laura

Cosmotose says:

Hi Sara!
    Wow. This looks delicious. I just want to tell you that I can’t wait to try this recipe. It looks so much easier “then” traditional caramel and I love honey so it’s got to be good. Oh, and on behalf of those of us who appreciate you sharing this little treasure with the world, just ignore the unnecessary nit picker. ( They’ll probably take issue with the way I spell nit picker too.)

Sara says:

Neato! I prefer the flavor of honey over sugar, but I didn’t know you could make honey caramel! This is great, since I never use corn syrup, which is another way I’ve seen it done. Thanks!

Beth says:

Amazing isn’t it? I only just found out by accident that you can make caramel only with honey! If you like sesame, I have a tahini toffee on my blog, it’s just toffee and tahini (aka sesame paste)It may not go well with apples……though I am not so sure? dipped in caramel and sesame seeds? Hooray for the honey bee!

Beth says:

Sorry, that’s the link for the sesame caramel.

I made these tonight and they turned out perfect!! Tomorrow I’m going to post about it on my blog :) Love your blog, everything I’ve ever made from it has turned out great.

Amber says:

How long in advance can I make these? I would love to make these for my wedding as a favor with small apples or crab apples. I was wondering if I could make them ahead of time and if so how should I store them? Just FYI my wedding is going to be 2 hours away so I will have to transport them.

[…]       Frankenstein Pudding Cups from {A Turtles Life for Me}       Honey Caramel Apples from {Our Best Bites}       Oreo Frogs from {Made to be a Momma}       No So Spooky Oreo […]

JIll says:

You ladies are fabulous. I was craving easy caramel apples and knew you would have something up your sleeves! You never let me down!!!

[…] , http://creativelylu.com/wp-admin/post-new.phpPhoto c/o Our Best Bites […]