Sara and I both have this problem where we both have this ONE RECIPE that is always getting the boot because something more timely comes along. I’ve literally had my recipe on the calendar for more than a month now, and it was all set to go today, and then…something happened.

I was perusing my Google Reader one morning when the lovely Brown Eyed Baker posted Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Maple-Cream Cheese Frosting. I’ve seen them on several blogs recently and the original recipe comes from the book, Baked: New Frontiers in Baking.  (And I believe it was Peabody who brilliantly added maple syrup to the filling.)  Be. Still. My. Beating. Heart. Maybe it’s because the weather has finally started feeling fallish or maybe it’s because I’m a total and complete sucker for pumpkin treats with cream cheese frosting, but I knew I had to make these.

But these were a little out of my comfort zone. I mean, I like to bake. Like…a lot. But whoopie pies were new territory for me and I found myself second-guessing the recipe the entire time. It seemed like a lot of salt. It seemed like a lot of cinnamon. It seemed like a lot of oil. It seemed like a lot of batter. Was I setting myself up for failure? Was I making a giant mess for nothing? And what about that maple? I’m not really so much a fan–like, the tiny bottle I have in the picture below is all I have because I hardly ever use it. But I trust the Brown Eyed Baker, and I’m super glad I did. I made two batches of these in a 48-hour period. By the way, if you happen to live in Central Louisiana and you’re not a creeper, feel free to stop by and pick one up. Or 10.

If you’re wondering what a whoopie pie is like, the cakes are kind of like a cross between a cake and cookies that never flatten back down. The batter is thicker than cake batter–kind of along the lines of quick bread batter.

To make them, you sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.

In a large bowl, you beat brown sugar, white sugar, and oil

and then add in 3 cups of pumpkin puree (which ends up being ALMOST 1 28-0z. can). Add 2 eggs and then slowly add in the flour mixture.

The second time I made these, I made some larger pies with a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop as well as some smaller, bite-sized ones using a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon.

They were both adorable and tasty and I’d totally recommend doing it either way. If you make the smaller ones, they’re a little more manageable and you don’t feel quite so guilty when you’re done, but they take longer to make because you’re using less batter at once. The larger ones are quite impressive (keep your Michael Scott jokes to yourself… :) ), but about halfway through, I always wondered what I’d done and then I’d finish it and then I’d feel bad about myself.

You’ll want to bake them for about 10-14 minutes depending on your oven (mine was 13 minutes on the nose)–you want them to be firm but not overdone. If there’s any hint of jiggle or softness on top, let them bake for another 1-2 minutes. Allow them to cool on the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.

While the cakes are baking, you’ll want to make your filling.

In a large bowl, beat 1/2 c. butter on high for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 8-oz. package of cream cheese and beat until smooth. Beat in 3 c. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup (or about 1/2-1 tsp. maple extract). Transfer the filling to a plastic bag and cut about a 3/4-1″ hole in the corner.

Then flip the cooled pies over on a flat surface. I envisioned some REALLY AWESOME pictures here of dollops of cream cheese filling. And then the battery on my camera died. And I was running out of sunlight, meaning I had to hurry and charge my battery for a few minutes so I could get a good final shot of these babies. Anyway. Squeeze a few tablespoons of filling onto every other cake and then top them off with the remaining cakes. At this point, before anyone else knows, you need to pick one up and feel the luscious texture of the cake.

And then take a bite.

And hurry and finish it off.

And don’t get cream cheese in your hair and/or eyebrows because then everyone will know. I am not speaking from firsthand experience, I am not. And if anyone does ask, you can tell them that’s what you get for making whoopie. Pies.

These can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They taste awesome cold, or you can allow them to return to room temperature before serving.

Edited to add: Apparently, there is some controversy about the source of this recipe. I saw it for the first time on Brown Eyed Baker who says she got it from a friend. Apparently, it can also be found in Baked: New Frontiers in Baking as well as on a number of other food blogs.

Elizabeth says:

I'm from Maine and I'm a die-hard believer that whoopie pies should only be chocolate with white filling. But I am for sure going to make these! I've of course heard of pumpkin whoopie pies before but they never looked this good.

CaSaundraLeigh says:

Love this spin on a classic whoopie pie. I also love how it doesn't use shortening in the filling. Cream cheese sounds much better! :-)

Sandy aka Doris the Great says:

I just love your recipes. I have to try this one this weekend.

Maria says:

Love these!

The Double Dipped Life says:

These look fantastic!

Lacey says:

Nothing screams Fall like pumpkin and maple! I absolutely must try these.

Brian and Anne Congelliere says:

I love that it is finally fall!! All of these AmAzInG pumpkin recipes to try! For sure making this one this week!! Thanks!

Kristy says:

love pumpkin anything…and these look divine. Can't wait to try.

carriefrances0 says:

These sound delicious! You think this recipe would still turn out as well if I halved everything? Thanks, can't wait to try them!

Gwen says:

Great. We just had two birthdays and I swore off sweets, but these look to stinkin' good not to try. Good thing my mom invited me for dinner tonight so I'll have others to share them with.

Laura says:

I think I am in love – I am supposed to be mopping my floor (according to me) but instead I am going to be making Whoopie!!!! My heart did a little jump when I read this recipe and I think a shed a tear or two. You just make my whole week!!!

Roberta says:

These look so good and I'm such a fan of pumpkin and spice cakes ;)
    Off to vote for you all on BH& G. Best of luck!
    Fondly, Roberta

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} says:

Sweet! and very hard to resist. These Pumpkin Whoopie Pies look amazing and essential!

WrayLynn says:

Wow, these look so good! I love pumpkin, cream cheese, and whoopie pies so this is fantastic. NOw if I can just wait until my birthday this week to make them.

Oh, and ditto on the no shortening in the middle. I abhor shortening.

Betsy says:

Delicious…we may be back for more!!

Deborah says:

I love whoopie pies and I've been wanting to make this version. Now I REALLY want to make them!

Jenn says:

can't wait to try these!!! They look like a yummy treat for the fall party at my son's school. Just have to find out if homemade treats can be brought into the classroom or not.

Thanks!

Carly says:

I too, believe pumpkin and cream cheese were made for each other. I'm totally going to make these.

Jeni says:

Oh buddy. These little buggers derailed my South Beach train just a little bit…I HAD to try them. But only half of one. Man, they were good.

SnowCat says:

I have never posted wank before on a blog, and I apologize in advance for doing so … BUT

What you show is NOT maple syrup, it is a processed maple food product. Please see it in your heart to find some. :-)

Now to go forage through my cabinets for some pumpkin puree ….

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Marla, I think you win for adjective of the day–these are definitely essential, hahaha! :)

Jeni, I'm so sorry I had to leave those at your house. I was in a co-dependent relationship with them and it was important to my physical and emotional well-being to not be around them anymore.

SnoCat–I know, I know. :) The thing is that I hate all things maple, even real maple syrup, so I don't want to spend all that money on the real stuff when Junky Aunt Jemima is sufficient for my needs, you know? However, if we are talking butter, I will bust my budget for the good stuff. :)

Tauni says:

We love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies – they go faster than anything else in the house…I will have to try this one!

Johna says:

I am a transplant (15 yrs ago) to Northern Maine and have never been a huge fan of whoopie pies because of the lard filling.
    A friend make pumpkin chocolate chip whoopie pies with cream cheese filling and I swoon! I am not sure I would make the maple cc filling, but I will try this recipe with mini chocolate chips in the cookie.

Valerie says:

I love pumpkin cookies. I've been seeing this recipe a lot lately, I must be destined to try them! :)

jennibell says:

Wow, wow, wow!!! These look incredible and I know my kids will flip for them!!! I just found your blog and after reading this *one* recipe and seeing some of your "teases" on the sidebar I added you to my blog list immediately :) Now back to your blog…

winterflamingo says:

Kate – You have ginger on the ingredient list but I don't think it shows up in the recipe anywhere!

I had already planned on making these tonight for a bake sale tomorrow – I just hadn't decided which recipe to use. I think it's a sign that they showed up here today!

I found these last fall and they are TO. DIE. FOR!!!! Highly addictive. Perfect fall treat.

Peggy says:

Aren't these AB SO LUTE LY to DIE for!!! I've not made them in a few years but I got my recipe from an Amish recipe book that was published in the late 80's. I also make chocolate whoopie pies w/ peanut butter filling, and chocolate w/ a strawberry filling. (we are going to try out a spiced apple w/ maple filling soon!) When we make them they hardly last two days as we have teenage boys!!! Need I say more.. :)

Rachel says:

This looks so yummy. Anything with pumpkin and cream cheese is a winner in my book. I just voted for you in the BHG contest. Looks like you are kicking some serious booty! I'll keep voting and crossing my fingers for you!

sally says:

I love that it is the time of year for pumpkin recipes! These whoopie pies look especially good! I'm excited to give them a try.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Winter Flamingo: Thank you SO much for pointing that out–I totally missed that. Just add the ginger with the rest of the spices! :)

Holly says:

Love this recipe! Thanks:)

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy says:

These look wonderful! We love,love,love pumpkin. I'll have to give these a try!

Confessions of a Closet Hoarder but you can call me Judy says:

These look wonderful! We love,love,love pumpkin. I'll have to give these a try!

smalltownoven says:

I love all the pumpkin recipes coming out these days! It definitely makes me feel more and more "fall." Your whoopie pies look beautiful!

Chelsea says:

Oh wow, these look awesome! My boyfriend is a pumpkin addict and I'm always looking for new ways to cook it, I'll have to try these!

Christine Kimball says:

In true Michael Scott fashion, I can't stop myself… "That's what she said!" I made these cookies today and they were delicious!

Lindsay says:

I can't wait to try this recipe out. It sounds delicious! Thanks for posting it.

I was curious if I could use the pumpkin pie spice, instead of the cinnamon, ginger & nutmeg. I didn't want to have to buy all of those when I have the pumpkin pie spice. If I can, do you have any idea how much of it I would use??

Kirsten says:

Do you think these would make good pumpkin chocolate chip cookies by just adding some chocolate chips to the batter?

I'm looking for a good recipe, and this seems like it may do the trick…

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Kirstin, I think these would be AMAZING with a bag of chocolate chips added to them.

Paula says:

I made these to take to work yesterday. They were a huge hit!! Great recipe. The only adjustment I may make next time is topping the cakes with chopped pecans before popping them in the oven.

Heather says:

I made these this past weekend for a block party pig roast and they were the first dessert to go and I got tons of compliments! I'm passing on the recipe (and the blog!) to friends as well. Thank you for posting it – they are, well were, delicious!

Lauren says:

These are amazing. Seriously.

However…Note to self: overbeating cream cheese frosting makes it runny. >_<

IntroducingMe says:

These were absolutely delicious!! The batch is certainly HUGE, but I'm sure they'll move quickly. Yummiest frosting I've ever made, too.

Angelica says:

Do you think you could ad raisins to these?

Julie says:

These were awesome! My kids didn’t like the frosting, but they gobbled up the cookie parts, which left more of the frosted pies for me.

katie says:

i don’t see a temperature setting for the stove? Am i missing it somewhere?

Dara says:

I just made these this morning and LOVE them. They are a huge hit with the kids. Thanks, I think we have a new tradition for Thanksgiving- I’m Canadian.

Stephanie says:

I also have pumpkin spice and was wondering how much I should use? Also, if i use fresh pumpkin is there any adjustments I should make?

penny says:

These were soooooo delicious but was wondering if anyone else had a little crunch every so often. Don’t know if its the canned pumpkin I used or the nutmeg. I made pumpkin cookies a couple of years ago and used similar ingredients and the same slight crunch, not every single one. Can’t figure out what it is. Would love to make a batch for my husband to take to work but I don’t want them to think I dropped them and got dirt in them!!!!haha

Stacey says:

these are so pretty and look just like the pictures! but they are sweet sweet sweet. too sweet. i love sweets and desserts but i couldn’t eat even one. sad face.

Cheri Healy says:

OK I just made these for a Thanksgiving Pre party and I DON”T WANNA SHARE!! The are easy and amazing tks for the great recipe..I have to go buy more pumpkin now…chow

[...] cream cheese frosting in the middle, they are rich, but small, so it’s okay to have a few! Try this recipe from Our Best [...]

Patricia says:

This looks like a fun recipe. One daughter-in-law really loves pumpkin so I would like to try it. I will use real maple syrup, though. Your bottle of Aunt Jemima’s in NOT maple syrup!

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

Pattie in Vermont

Lauren says:

Question! Would this recipe work in cake form? I LOVE the flavors of these little whoopie pies, so I wondered if the same recipe would work poured into a cake pan or two since the “pies” are so cake-like. Do you think I’d need to make any adjustments to the measurements?

Tink says:

Just so you know, I decided to have these at my picnic wedding (my dear mom made many many many of them) – and 7 months down the line I still get asked to make these whenever I am bring dessert to gatherings. So thanks for making my wedding memorable! :)

Kelli says:

Made these yesterday – they were so good!!!

Amanda says:

This recipe is delicious. The only thing is my batter turned out a little more runny than yours. I did use my own puréed pumpkin (3 cups), so I’m not sure if that’s the cause. Thank you for sharing!

Asherah McCaw says:

So I made these using a gluten free flour and they were/are amazing! We had way too many so I froze the leftovers and they are beyond amazing frozen. The cookie stayed soft and the filling is almost like icecream!

Eve Mendez says:

I made this tonight with my family, I love them, there are delicious!