If I was trapped in some horribly unrealistic nightmare and could only chose one and only one thing to eat off of the Thanksgiving table, I would undoubtedly choose the stuffing.  It’s been my favorite thing about thanksgiving since I was a kid.  I don’t even like pumpkin pie or (gasp!) turkey all that much!  But stuffing?  Ohhh I could eat a whole lot of stuffing (or dressing if you must.  I call it all stuffing whether it’s stuffed in the bird or not!)   My family has been making the same stuffing recipe for years and a few Thanksgivings ago my sister and I experimented by using sourdough bread, tangy lemon juice, and lots of fresh herbs.  It was amazing, so for the past few years I’ve been perfecting that version.  I had planned to share my recipe with you until last week when curiosity got the best of me and I tried out this recipe I found on-line.  I was intrigued because it had some of my favorite flavors, but ones I wouldn’t expect to see in a stuffing recipe: Parmesan cheese and marinated artichoke hearts.  But aside from that, the bones of the recipe were very similar to my own sourdough stuffing so I had a feeling it would be good.  And it was  The parmesan is subtle and the artichokes add flavor without taking over the whole thing.  It all blended together in one delicious dish.  Take a look at Kate’s Italian Sausage Thanksgiving Dressing too- with a completely different flavor profile it’s equally delicious in a different way!  I made it last year and absolutely loved it.  Heck, make both and skip the salad.

You’ll want to chop up your sourdough bread into about 1/2 inch pieces.

This step isn’t included in the recipe, but I chose to lightly toast my bread first since it was a brand new loaf and I was afraid it would just turn to mush when I tried to stir things together if I didn’t.  Plus I love the texture of semi crunchy, semi soft bread in stuffing.

While the bread is toasting, melt some butter in a hot skillet

and add in garlic, onions, celery, and mushrooms.  The recipe calls for 1 lb of mushrooms, sliced.  I’m not a huge mushroom fan, so I did about 12 ounces (chopped, not sliced) and added more celery instead.

While the veggies are cooking, you can prepare your other ingredients (three of my most favorite things!) Parmesan cheese, fresh rosemary (you could use dried), and marinated artichoke hearts.

Now back to those vegetables, when they’re tender they can go into a bowl.

And then you add broth and seasonings

and bread, Parmesan, rosemary, and artichokes.

After you stir it all up give it a good taste and adjust the seasonings if you need to, when it’s perfect, add in the beaten egg.

Stir it to combine well and then put it in a 9×13 baking dish.  At this point you can cover it and pop it in the fridge, so feel free to make it a day ahead of time and save yourself some work on Thanksgiving morning!

If you like soft stuffing, cover the pan during baking.  I like my stuffing lightly toasted on top and nice and soft underneath so bake uncovered.

Keep warm until ready to serve and then dig in!

And not that I support calorie counting on Thanksgiving at ALL, but I do know many people appreciate nutrition facts, and since they’re available, here you go.  (These are per serving, assuming you’re serving 12 and it makes about 10 cups.)
Calories: 195 Protein: 9  Fat: 6.226  Fiber: 2.7 Carbohydrate: 26

Ashley says:

That looks delicious!! However, my family and I do not like onions and mushrooms whatsoever, so we normally don't have stuffing or anything else that you can destinctly taste onions or mushroom in. Any suggestions for substitute(s) for onion or mushroom? I was thinking maybe cabbage… I'm not sure if I should use anything else. I want to try making that this year if I can figure out how to make it without onions and mushrooms

Channa, Life as a Coaches Wife says:

Yummy! That looks so good!!!

Terri says:

I still have my original issue of the Sunset magazine in which this recipe first appeared–November 1994. (It's pretty much a holy relict at our house now.) I have made this stuffing every year since then. My family won't even consider eating any other stuffing.

To Ashley above: Since I'm very familiar with this recipe, cabbage my not work well with the other flavors. Try apples to replace the onions. Tofu could serve as a sub for the mushrooms. You could probably also get by with a mild flavored sausage to replace the mushrooms. The the most prominent flavors in this recipe are the marinated artichoke hearts, the sour dough bread, and the parmesan cheese. These three things will work well with the substitutions I suggested. Good luck.

diaryofamadhausfrau.com says:

Raising my hand on picking the stuffing as well. This is just great. thanks for the recipe!

Anna @ Take the Side Street says:

Faaaaaaaaaaaaabulous!! (that was me in my Oprah voice saying fabulous)

I have an issue with stuffing — no self control, friends. That's why I only make it on Thanksgiving. But when I do make it? Ohh, man… I stay off the scale for a while ;)

This looks amazing, I always love new recipes to try!

chef says:

Sunset magazine rocks. Some folks would say the heck with the turkey just load my up my plate with stuffing! What a wonderful delicious combination of flavors.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction says:

Wow… What a fabulous new recipe for stuffing! My husband loves artichokes and parmesan, so I know it would be a big hit!

The Forest Minstrel says:

Ooohhhh! This sounds delish! I'm going to try it only, since my Dad likes mushrooms less than you apparently do, I'm going to substitute walnuts. Mom's always put walnuts in our stuffing and it just doesn't seem like "real" stuffing if they're missing.

The Stig and The Pickle says:

This looks amazing and I am going to try it. ALL my favorites in one dish, heck yah!

Melanie Charlton says:

Anything with artichokes is a winning dish…. at least that's my opinion. YUM! Something new to try for Thanksgiving.

RMCarter says:

FINALLY!!! A stuffing recipe that I can do vegetarian style! YES!

Katie L. says:

This looks amazingly delicious and I think I'll use it next Thursday!!!!! Thanks!

Kiahna Williams says:

I made an artichoke mushroom stuffing last year–I didn't use marinated artichokes though, maybe I will try that this year. My husband still talks about the stuffing to this day. Maybe I will make some more this year, and tweek it a little! Sidenote: thanksgiving is at my in-laws this year so everything will be pretty much catered–barf! Nothing homemade on Thanksgiving except what I bring to the table.

Katie Tyler says:

Sara- I am SOOOOOOO excited for you!! Wow! (oh, and you too, Kate, I just mentioned Sara because I actually know her– but I feel like I know you too!)
    I am so happy for you. This is such a Big Deal (at least it is to me) Way to take something you LOVE and help all of us LOVE it too! I REALLY have been so inspired to enjoy cooking because of you (and Whidbey Island)
    Yay for You!!

Katie Tyler says:

oops- I thought I was commenting on the Book Deal! :)
    Yep, I've got Blonde roots!

This looks delish! Only thing is, I've never heard of an egg in stuffing. Is it necessary? Either way I'll be trying it out this year. Along with our family tradition of Sausage-potato-bread dressing. YUMMY dressings this year!

London2187 says:

You recipes astound me. I've made several and the are all the best things I've ever cooked.

I think I'll shock my family with this on Thanksgiving.

Questions, are the onions crunchy? Thats the one thing I can not stand in a stuffing. And everyone thinks I'm crazy.

Analisha says:

I can't wait to try this, I love artichoke hearts, mushrooms, onions the whole bit, so putting it all together makes me a very happy girl!
    By the way, to you broil the bread to toast it or do you actually bake it at a high temp?

Jen- some stuffing recipes call for eggs, it just helps bind things together. If you have people who can't eat eggs, I bet it would be just fine without it.

London- you could cook the onions until they're really soft and tender if you don't want to feel them in there. Otherwise they just have a little crunch- not a ton since you cook them first.

Analisha- I toasted my bread in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes. You could also just leave it out overnight to get dry.

Ana says:

It looks Ama-zu-zing!

I just wanted to let you know I used you in a blog post. I did link back to your site.

Thanks for the great recipes! Keep 'em coming!

Natasha says:

This looks really good! I love sourdough bread and think it would be perfect for stuffing.

Also, do you have a recipe for salted caramel hot chocolate like they have at Starbucks?! If so, can you post it please??

Sally says:

The only stuffing we ever had growing up was from a box so I am excited to try this, since I will be hosting Thanksgiving dinner at my house for the first time ever. Love anything with artichokes and parmesan!

ImAprilE says:

I can't WAIT to make this. I've been thinking about making a homemade stuffing for awhile now… now I have a recipe! I look forward to checking out more of your recipes! Thanks!

kateykix says:

could i substitute another herb for the rosemary? not really a fan (please don't shoot me!). any suggestions on what else what go well with this stuffing? tia!

Nama says:

I made this for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner with friends yesterday, and it was a huge hit! It was so delicious and moist and absolutely perfect for Thanksgiving!

I did, however, leave out the mushrooms and used carrots as a replacement. No one (including myself) are huge mushroom fans, and I thought the addition of the carrots made the stuffing more traditional and blended it so well with all of the other ingredients.

Thanks for sharing! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

RMCarter says:

KateyKix – I'm trying it out tomorrow with sage. I'll let you know! (Although that's kinda late notice if you were planning on making this for turkey day!) :)

Kateykix- sorry I forgot to respond! yes, just about any fresh herb would work. I'd go with sage or thyme, but oregano or even basil would be good.

kateykix says:

RMCarter-yes, please let me know how it goes! i have sage and thyme on hand so i'll be prepared. :)

Sara-thanks so much for the recipe! can't wait to try this on turkey day. :D

Gretchy Girl says:

I just made it for tomorrow. I left out the onions because my hubby and I don't like them and I didn't add mushrooms either because my sister despises them and I want to be respectful of everyone's tastes (that's why I will also be making stove top for a few diners, who are too picky for everyone!) I'm so excited to eat this stuffing tomorrow…almost as excited as I am to have a slice of my pecan pie, which happens to be the THING I do best! Love your recipes!

Beth says:

I made this for Thanksgiving yesterday and it was SO delicious! It will definitely be making an appearance at our Thanksgiving table every year. Thanks so much for all the fabulous recipes!

Amanda says:

Have made this two years in a row, and it’s a HUGE hit every time! I made it slightly healthier by using whole wheat sourdough and low sodium chicken broth. Didn’t take away from the taste at all, and barely any was left after the meal. Will definitely make it for years to come. :)

Nikia says:

I made this last year, and it was amazing!! I’ve been thinking about having it again ever since, and am definitely planning on having it this year as well! Definitely a new yearly tradition.

LittleB says:

Unlike many of the previous post-ers, I have never liked stuffing. But a few years ago I went to a Thanksgiving meal at a friend’s house. She served this stuffing and I LOVED it! I have made it for my family t-giving ever since. Great recipe for those of us that don’t enjoy the traditional, bland, mooshy stuffing. The favors are excellent together.

PJ says:

Getting this in the oven as we speak!

denise says:

Sounds amazing! Can you freeze the leftovers?

Vicky says:

I went out on a limb and made this Thanksgiving day….normally I would never try anything new for such a big meal. I have to say that my family LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this! This is NOW a staple at our table for Thanksgiving! THANK you so much for sharing the recipe!
    Vicky

Michele says:

I also am not a big fan of stuffing and can’t stand cornbread dressing of any kind. Made this for Thanksgiving and it is beyond yummy yummy yummy!!! Such great flavor! Thank you for sharing!
    Michele

Kristine Jones says:

Can I cook this in the turkey? This is the first year in 10 years of marriage that I’m finally cooking my own Thanksgiving dinner!

Honestly Kristine, I don’t recommend stuffing the Turkey itself at all. You can’t fit that much in there, and more importantly research shows it often doesn’t ever reach a temperature in there that makes it safe to eat. You’ll be better off just popping this in a casserole dish and baking it up in the oven. Enjoy!

Kimberly says:

Loved this!! I toasted the bread per your suggestion. The recipe was similar to a traditional stuffing recipe I have used however the artichoke hearts were a wonderful addition.

Ashlee says:

I have made this recipe every year since you’ve posted it and we love it! This year we are going somewhere else for Thanksgiving and we need to bring stuffing in a crockpot.
    Have you tried this recipe in a crockpot before?

Lovely! Can’t wait for the updated crust recipe.