I’ve always found that even though New Year’s Day is when so many people resolve they’re going to eat better, I always feel this uncontrollable urge to start the day after Christmas. Between Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the entire month of gluttonous cookie binging merriment that is December, I’m beyond ready to change my ways. Even my husband who mocks the idea of salad for dinner was telling me after Christmas that he was ready for a major detox.

“But what about New Year’s Eve?!” you ask. “The parties! The appetizers! Can’t this wait?”

It can…or you can make this dip and start now! It’s full of things that are good (or at least not bad!) for you–hummus, light cream cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, chopped Kalamata olives, green onions, feta cheese, and a sprinkling of parsley. Plus, you can either scoop it up with whole-wheat pita chips or even vegetables. It’s a great variation of the classic Mexican 7-layer Dip minus the sour cream and cheddar cheese.

You want to use a pie plate or a small baking dish–the one I’m using here is a shallow loaf pan and it’s 9 1/2″x 5 1/2″. You’ll start out with a layer of cream cheese (light cream cheese works great!) whipped together with lemon juice, garlic, and Italian (or Greek) seasonings.

Then you’ll add a layer of hummus. You can use your favorite recipe or store- or restaurant-bought hummus. I’m using one that’s going to be in our book, so I can’t ruin the surprise! :)

Then you’ll add a layer of diced, seeded cucumbers:

and diced, seeded tomatoes:

Top that off with a layer of chopped Kalamata olives (which, by the way, are my favorite olives. If you’re not familiar with them, they’re milder than green olives but have a slightly more complex, grown-up flavor than black olives).

Top the olives off with some chopped green onions…

and then sprinkle some crumbled Feta cheese and a little chopped parsley on top:

Wrap it up and let it chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Then just serve it with pita chips (another recipe and tutorial you can find in our cook book! But you can find them in the chip aisle of the grocery store–Sara and I both love Stacey’s brand), fresh vegetables, or chunks of freshly baked flatbread.

Jelena says:

Love this dip. Actually it is a whole meal! Bookmarked for when the fresh tomatoes come!

keepitsweet says:

yum! i love the idea of a greek layer dip, never seen one before.

I see 7 layer Greek dip every time I go to Costco and I've always wanted to make it at home. That looks so good!

I'm AE Jones says:

Holy cow – this looks incredible. SO delicious, light and healthy, after all the sugar we've been eating! Yay! THANK YOU!

Debbie says:

wow, that looks so good. Would love to hear some more detox recipes. Had way to much sugar this holiday season and it is very hard to go cold turkey. I just found your blog, so when does your cookbook come out? Happy detox!

~ B. says:

Oh my gosh! This looks so so yummy! Definitely throwing it onto the menu for our New Years Eve party!

~ B.

raine says:

That would be perfect on a pizzacrust.. can't wait to make this. i love greek food.

Irish Mama says:

Oh, I LOVE Greek salads, and this looks delicious. I also love the idea of spreading it on a pizza crust, as someone else suggested. When I make my own Greek salad, I use the Seeds of Change feta vinaigrette; it might be yummy to mix the veggies with a bit of that before topping on this. It has a really nice flavor with a bit of sweetness, which is particularly nice if your tomatoes aren't as sweet as you'd like.

Sally says:

I am so sweeted out right now, this looks amazing. And I pretty much love anything with feta cheese.

Debbie- glad you found us! Check out the links on our side bar for info on our book!

snacktive says:

What a great idea! I have a great hummus recipe on my blog that I want to use for this! Thanks so much for sharing!

~Heather from Snacktive

LauraM says:

ok, I tried store bought hummus once and thought it was totally gross, I'll try it again when I buy your cookbook and see if I still think its gross after that!! lol…can't wait to get your cookbook!!

Hel says:

Oh YUM! I love seven layer dip and I LOVE greek salad. I think you are my new favourite person. Will definitely have to try this… STAT!

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits says:

This looks awesome, I love Greek salad! What a great idea!

Chelsea says:

Mmm, this sounds like a seriously delicious way to start eating healthy again!

Kevin says:

Great flavours in this dip and I like that it is a bit on the healthier side!

geegarland says:

Completely delicious and a huge hit. Homemade hummus is a must and homemade pita is a wonderful thing. You ladies have heard of "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day", right? It has changed my life…

Lorisa Schmidt says:

Everyone loved it. Thanks!

Shelly says:

So refreshing to see a different variety of a layer dip rather than the normal mexican-dip version. Sounds delish, I'll have to try it.

mbsings says:

sounds fabulous! I love the idea of a 7 layer dip that doesn't make you completely guilty. doesn't hurt that I adore hummus and feta. yummy!

Angela Fielding says:

My family went crazy over this!!So yummy!

Charity Donovan says:

Made this over the weekend! Holy yummo! Thanks for sharing! =)

Heidi says:

I made this for a party last week and it was a hit! I made my own hummus using the recipe on the can of garbanzos but I can't wait to see yours in the cookbook!

This dip keeps really well. I made it last Saturday and it's now Friday and the leftovers are still good and taste fresh.

~ B. says:

This recipe turned out fabulous for us! Thank you so much for posting it!!!

jamie says:

Delicious! Was a huge hit tonight.

creasonfamily says:

I may just be blind, but I can't seem to find this recipe in your recipe index. It was a huge hit at book club last night. Thanks so much!

Kelly sipan says:

Made this for a party this week and it was delicious! I like how fresh it is with all the veggies… The cream cheese spread that makes up the bottom layer is a winner all by itself, too! :)

Carol says:

I love this recipe and I have made it for several occasions. It’s classy looking, easy to make, healthy and tastes great!!! THANK YOU

Jamie says:

Made this for a BBQ and it was a huge hit! Everyone agreed this was a definite keeper. Thanks!

Angie says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this dip!! WE love using plain Greek yogurt in place of the cream cheese and it is SOOOO yummy!! Thanks for the recipe!

lisa says:

looks really good. Can’t wait to try!

Joan Daciek says:

HELP! My printer is out of order ao I could not print the recipe for 7 Layer Greek Dip. If I don’t get it soon, I’ll be losing sleep over it!! :-)
    Love your website and all your great ideas. Keep up the good work. Many thank, Joan

Marie says:

I LOVE this dip and want to make it for dinner tonight (having the parents over). But, I need an idea of what to serve along side it. It’s more of a side dish. What would be a good main dish to go along with this? I thought of Greek tacos but those seemed too similar since you’d top them with all the same things. Any ideas? I’m at a loss! Thanks!

Honestly, I eat this as a main dish all the time, hahaha! Just on flatbread or fresh pitas. But I know that’s weird. :) You could still marinade some chicken in the Greek Dressing and grill it, or just do burgers or a salad or something. Clearly I’m not overly inspired right now, haha!

Marie says:

Grilled chicken was a great idea. Thank you!

jourdan jones says:

I’m 13 years old and I love this dip my mom makes it for parties and for football games and everyone loves it!!!

Made this last night – everyone loved it! It was totally gone by the end of the party! YUM!

Krista says:

Made this last night for our New Year’s Eve Party. It was the first appetizer that was devoured!!! DEEEELISH! Used whipped cream cheese and did not use parsley as we didn’t have it. Recipe is a keeper! Thanks…

I love this twist on the typical seven layer dip. This is on my Super Bowl menu!

Darryl Stiegman says:

I shared this recipe with my wife this morning, and she loved what she saw! I hinted that it would be nice to have something special this evening while watching the news coverage of the Republican Primary election results in Florida. Voila ~ we had this delicious 7-layer Greek Dip served to us with Pita Chips! It made a meal for my son ~ my wife and I enjoyed our portion, too!

Belinda says:

This dip is so great. I’ve used a variation of the recipe before that omits the cream cheese/garlic/greek seasoning layer, which was still great, but this version is so much more flavorful and addicitve!

Jan'et says:

You could also use the same ingredients and layer a Greek salad, just start with some romaine lettuce underneath and build from there. Very nice…thanks!

Kenyon says:

This dip was a hit!! It was so easy to make too. Thanks so much for sharing. I love your website&can’t wait to try more recipes.

Tanya Chasse says:

All of my favorites….thanks for the idea and it looks amazing!

MissLisa04 says:

I bet tzatziki would work well too….I love Greek food.

Jennifer Mills says:

This was a HUGE hit at my Easter dinner, everybody LOVED IT. I ran out of bread and would eat this with a spoon! Since I hate cream cheese I subbed some Tzatziki instead. AMAZING!!!

I’ve never seen a 7 layered greek dip before. Looks so yummy!!!

Ellen says:

7 layer dip took to Gene surprise party

Mary Beth Elderton says:

This sounds fabulous1 I’m bookmarking it next to my 7-Layer Tex-Mex dip. Thank you!

Ashley says:

Soooooooo yummy!!!! The dish was scraped clean with pita chips. Wonderful recipe! Thanks so much for sharing!

Vicki says:

I made this recipe and when I showed it to my husband he asked where I bought it. It taste so delicious I had to send the recipe to my Mom and sister in L.A. Thank you for sharing this, you have a huge fan. :)

Chelsea C says:

I love this recipe! I made it in a small container rather than a big serving size and just layered each ingredient accordingly (no measuring involved except for counting calories). I also didn’t make the cream cheese layer b/c I didn’t have any on hand and it still came out wonderful! I served it with Stacy’s Naked Pita Chips or you could eat it by itself :)

Connie says:

What a great idea. This will be the next dish I take to a party. Thanks so much!

I made this for an event last night and though it looked great, I was disappointed in the results. The juice from the tomatoes made the dish very watery and it was not a hit with the crowd. Maybe the tomatoes should be sprinkled with salt and drained for a bit before adding them to the dip? Great idea just needs some revamping on how to avoid the watery issue.

Thanks

Sharon says:

I make this a lot, and I always use the small Italian Plum style tomatoes. They aren’t as seedy and watery as regular tomatoes. I’ve never had trouble with too much “wetness” using the plum tomatoes. I also usually make this with canned artichokes (seasoned or unseasoned, whatever I have in the cupboard), instead of the cucumbers. I like it that way much better.

[...] why) so some of my old staples that I know and love are no longer appropriate to our lifestyle. Greek 7 Layer Dip. Coconut Curry Chicken. Balsamic Glazed Skirt Steak with Polenta and [...]

Anonymous says:

Hummus is an Arabic word (حمّص ḥummuṣ) meaning “chickpeas” and the complete name of the prepared spread in Arabic is حمّص بطحينة ḥummuṣ bi ṭaḥīna which means “chickpeas with tahini”.[3][4] Spellings of the word in English can be inconsistent.[5] “Houmous” is the standard spelling in British English. Among other spellings are hummus, hummous, hommos, humos, hommus and hoummos. So Actually it would be a Arabic 7 layer dip, and awesome never the less! :)

Nisha says:

Hi there, this is my new go to recipe. ALWAYS get compliments. I drizzle some reduced balsamic vinegar and olive oil for more flavour- SO SO GOOD.

Thanks! n.

[...] With hummus and feta cheese, you can’t go wrong! Get the recipe from Our Best Bites here. [...]

Peter Mylonas says:

Kate,
    i just followed your 7 layer Greek dip and its in the refrigerator for 2 hours. It was very easy to make and I will let you know later how it tastes. I am certain it will taste great!
    Go on my pinterest “Greek” page to see the picture of the 7 Layer Dip.

Thanks,
    Pete

[...] on the way home from work and grabbed fresh shrimp and cocktail sauce, as well as ingredients for a Layered Greek Dip, complete with hummus, feta, cucumbers, tomatoes, kalamata olives, green onions…even though one [...]

mary says:

do you know how many calories this is?

[...] LAYER MEDITERRANEAN DIP From Our Best Bites [...]

[...] new recipe I tried was the 7-Layer Greek Dip from Our Best Bites. This was excellent! Dave really liked it as well. And it keeps really well, [...]

[...] LAYER MEDITERRANEAN DIP From Our Best Bites [...]

Barbara says:

I make something similar to this but have found adding artichoke hearts makes it that much better.

Sally says:

Would this taste weird if I made it using red pepper hummus? I have whole bunch in the fridge and it seems silly for me to make or buy new stuff while the other stuff goes to waste. Has anyone tried making it with red pepper hummus?

Dafna Stearns says:

Made this light night for book club and it was a great hit.
    The freshness of the fresh veggies and spices were so delicious and healthy. Thanks ☺️

Love this stuff!!! Anyone know the nutritional value/calories per serving of this dish?

Sandi Coyer says: