I don’t know how it happens, and every year I swear I won’t let it happen again, but every single December, I find myself swamped in the first few weeks of December and then that week before Christmas, everything stops–my kids are home from school, holiday programs are over, treats have been made and delivered, shopping is done, presents have been wrapped, and I’m not totally sure what to do with myself (or my kids).

These little treats are a great way to keep yourself and your kids busy during those stir-crazy days at home! And if you haven’t given your neighbor/co-worker/teacher gifts yet, these are adorable and totally different from that standard plate of cookies.

This isn’t really a recipe, but I’ll include lots of ideas for different combinations. You’ll definitely need big marshmallows (I loved Kraft marshmallows–they’re softer and have a more uniform shape). It’s really fun to mix up the flavors–here, I used regular marshmallows as well as strawberry. I was hoping to use those new caramel swirl marshmallows, but I couldn’t find them (I really should’ve saved a few from those two bags we hot chocolate-d our way through during the last few weeks!) You’ll also need sucker sticks (it doesn’t matter what length), something to dip the marshmallows in (I used semi-sweet chocolate and almond bark, but you could also use peanut butter chips, mint chips, candy melts, etc.)

and, if you want, stuff to decorate the marshmallows with (like nuts, graham cracker or Oreo crumbs, crushed candy canes, coconut, sprinkles, sanding sugar, etc.) You might also want cellophane treat bags and ribbons to individually wrap the pops and, if you want to give these as a gift, small buckets (I got these at Target in the $1 section which, by the way, is the total bane of my budget’s existence), floral foam, and paper shreds or other filler.

Start by melting your coating in the microwave. Honestly, the chocolate and white chocolate bark you’ll find in the baking section as well as candy melts are probably your best bet texture-wise. I used chocolate chips mixed with a little shortening and it worked well, but the white chocolate bark went on much smoother and more lightly than the chocolate did.

Insert a sucker stick into the bottom of each marshmallow.

Dip the marshmallow into the coating.

When the marshmallow has been coated, gently tap the stick against the side of the bowl to remove the excess and then, if necessary, twirl the pop back and forth between your hands (upside down) so the remaining excess goes back into the bowl.

Next, roll, sprinkle, or dip your marshmallow into your desired toppings. After they’ve been dipped and decorated the way you want, just pop the stick into some floral foam so the pops can firm up before you wrap them. Check out some of these marshmallows I made with my kids this afternoon after school:

S’mores: Regular marshmallow, dipped in chocolate, rolled in graham cracker crumbs.

Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry: Strawberry marshmallow, chocolate coating, then I dipped the top in Christmas sprinkles for decoration.

Boston Cream Pie: Regular marshmallow, coated in white chocolate, then the top dipped in semi-sweet chocolate.

Chocolate-Peppermint: Regular marshmallow, dipped in semi-sweet chocolate, then rolled in crushed candy canes.

Still need some inspiration?

Snowball: Regular marshmallow dipped in white chocolate and rolled in coconut.

Macaroon: Regular marshmallow dipped in semi-sweet chocolate and rolled in coconut.
White Christmas: Regular marshmallow dipped in white chocolate and rolled in crushed candy canes.
Strawberries and Cream: Strawberry marshmallow dipped in white chocolate.
Strawberry Colada: Strawberry marshmallow dipped in white chocolate and rolled in coconut.
Salted Caramel: Caramel swirl marshmallow dipped in chocolate with a very light sprinkling of kosher or sea salt.
Caramel Frappe: Caramel swirl marshmallow dipped in white chocolate.

These are SO easy and your kids will love making them! The only rule (besides the absolute rule that all mistakes must be eaten) is that if you’re dipping in two different coats (like the Boston Cream Pie), the first layer must be completely solid before dipping in the second coat. You may want to clear some space in the refrigerator or freezer to make the process go faster; they’ll only need 5-10 minutes to chill out before they’re ready to be dipped again.

So what do you do with them? Well, you can eat them right off the stick. You can also drop them into one of these amazing hot chocolates (or this one). They also make great gifts–check out the dollar section of Target for these little buckets and then cut some floral foam to fit into the bucket. Top the foam with some decorative shredded paper. After the marshmallows have hardened, you can place them into small cellophane treat bags and tie them with ribbons and then insert the sticks into the foam

for a great holiday gift for your kids teachers and friends (or heck, your teachers/friends/bosses/co-workers)

And if you want to get fancy- try making your own marshmallows!  Click here for a tutorial.

Heather and Laila says:

You guys are pure genious – where do you come up with this stuff?? I keep changing my mind on what the kids can give to their classmates for a Christmas treat – these Marshmallow Pops have now moved to the top of the list!

Jenn says:

where do you find the little bags for these?!

I. Must. Make. Them for my son's class party!

these are such a great idea!

Deirdre says:

you can buy the little bags in a chocolate store near you where they sell chocolate molds and all the trimmings. Michaels also sells this kind of stuff as well.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Jenn–try the candy/craft aisle of Walmart or the candy aisle of Michael's/Hobby Lobby/etc. If you can't find the short bags, just trim the long ones so you don't have a ton of overhang. :)

Amy H. says:

I was laughing reading your post today, BECAUSE I my post was pretty much the same thing!

Love it!

Nathan*s_Mommy says:

This is always the first place I come to on the web in the mornings, to see if anything new has been posted. It always makes my day to see such fun and wonderful stuff and I am so excited to get home and try it!!
    :-D These look so delicious! Are lolly pop sticks sold every where?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Nathan's Mommy–Yep, they're everywhere! :) They're usually just in the same place as the cellophane bags.

Andrea says:

I love making homemade marshmallow, this would send them over the top-great ideas!!!

Jasey says:

You ladies are rocking it as usual! If you use the caramel bits, would you melt them straight up or would you add water/milk?

Happy Day,
    Jasey

Jasey- ya, still add water, just follow the instructions on the package. (I happen to know this from first hand experience this weekend, haha)

Jessica :) says:

This is such a cute idea! I love all the names you gave to the different combinations. Very creative. And the great thing is that this is something that will work as a quick, cute gift just about any time of the year! Thanks for sharing!!

Adriann says:

What a great idea! Thanks for posting all your combinations, I never would have thought of those on my own. Sounds like a great FHE activity to me =). Much better than laboring for hours decorating sugar cookies. You're so awesome!

Cupcake Activist says:

Great idea and I'm sure so much easier than cake pops.

giggliz72 says:

Brilliant as always! Thanks, ladies!

~Shannon~ says:

Strawberry Marshmallows??!!?? We NEED those in Canada!!
    Will be making these! Thanks for sharing. I will be sharing these with friends!!

Mary says:

I SOOOO wished I liked marshmallows…but I don't. Any substitutions you can suggest?

Danalee says:

So, do you think those HUGE campfire marshmallows would work for this? Would they be too difficult to work with size-wise? I have some and would like to use them up.

Danalee- the only problem would be getting them to stay on a stick! You'd have to use some jumbo sticks because they'd be big and heavy :)

alondra0207 says:

Where do you melt the chocolate and where can I buy it?

Splendid Things says:

These look great! I used to keep a collection of dipped marshmallows on hand for microwave smores. Just set one on a graham cracker, pop it nto the microwave for 8 seconds or just till it starts to "puff" and break through the chocolate coating. Then top with another graham. The ones you made are gorgeous!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

alondra–You can find chocolate bark in the baking aisle of the grocery store. It's really reasonably priced ($3 or less) and it makes things super easy. Just melt it before you dip your marshmallows! :)

Jenn says:

pretzel rods would work very well for the HUGE campfire marshmallows, right?

that way the ENTIRE treat is edible? No?

Now I'm even more excited to make these!!!

Renee says:

We do this but dip the marshmallows in caramel and then toasted coconut – very yummy!

superstitches says:

I love this idea. Several years ago when my daughter was in 7th grade. We put two or three marshmallows on a wooden skewer and dipped them in chocolate and then multi-colored sprinkles or finely chopped nuts. She handed them out as gifts for her teachers and friends. I thought the adults would prefer the ones with the nuts. Boy was I wrong. All those teachers wanted the ones with sprinkles.

Jennie says:

I love how simple and fun these are!!! Thanks for sharing!

Shawna says:

oooh, homemade marshmallows would make these simply deadly!

Rose Atwater says:

I just wrote about these a couple of days ago!! The major difference is that I used coffee straws…so they could be dunked straight into your hot chocolate!! Yummy!!

Jessica says:

Where are you finding the Caramel swirl marshmallows? Or where did you find them before?

Jessica, they're made by Jet-Puffed and you can find them by the regular marshmallows in the grocery store.

teeny says:

these are so cute! may ry them with the grandkids! love

teeny says:

oops, missed the "t" in try!

Patty says:

another awesome, delicious and fun idea….Thanks!!!

ChrisKatieKelly says:

I'm too excited to try these. Question- once you put it in the bag, does the chocolate stay hard?

Debi says:

I just found this site, and I love it! Can't wait to try some recipes. Is there a link to the RSS feed? (That's my preferred method of keeping up with things.) Thanks!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Hi, Debi! I'm glad you found us! :) There's an envelope at the top of the screen with a little RSS symbol in that–click on it and it will give you subscribe options.

Debi says:

Awesome! Thanks. I obviously didn't explore far enough. :)

DvnRose says:

My daughter and I made these last night for her class party. We used white chocolate and crushed candy canes, and they were delish! We used squares of wax paper tied with green ribbons to wrap them.They turned out super cute!
    Thanks so much for the inspiration!

canewton42 says:

I love these! I made some for my sons' teachers for Christmas, and even invented two new flavors: cookies 'n' cream (chocolate/vanilla marshmallow, dipped in white chocolate and rolled in crushed Oreos) and Heath bar (regular vanilla marshmallow, dipped in chocolate, rolled in Heath bits). Thanks for the awesome idea.

RetroMom says:

In our family, we call them Snow Pops, like the Hostess Snow Balls, but little and on a stick. I used to make these when my son was little, for birthday party goody bags and class parties and stuff like that. I used to put them on wooden popsicle sticks, but I like the lollipop sticks much better. I love some of your combinations! Our family favorites are the s'mores, chocolate dipped and topped with crushed reese's pieces, and chocolate or white chocolate dipped topped with cinnamon sugar… yummy!

HollyL says:

These are soo cute & such a great idea! Love it!

Ingrid says:

I've made these a few times over the past year after seeing them on Let's Dish earlier in the year. You've got quite the variety going on. I'll have to try a few that I haven't yet.

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

JessiandArchie says:

I made these last night and they are super yummy! I also rolled mine in Heath bar bits and Oh My Goodness! Soooo goood!

susette says:

It was nice to see a face with this blog on Studio 5. Thanks for all your great recipes and the wonderful photos. What a lovely service you are providing to so many people.

Sherylcat says:

I made these yesterday with my friend's 10 year old and it was so fun and they really are good! Thanks for making me look so creative!

Jessica says:

I made these for my boyfriends family for christmas, as I needed something that looked cute but weren't too time consuming, as he has a huge extended family! They were perfect! The younger cousins loved eating the leftovers :) Thank you for all the great ideas!!!

Sarah says:

What do you do with these while they are hardening? Do you set them down or stand them up somehow?

Eloise says:

i was wandering where i could purchase some of those “plactic” baggies…

Eloise says:

thank you, im looking for those soo, i think they’ll sell well at our candy sale. just for the record, let me say that this is the BEST blog ever! you two ladies are down to earth and funny. i love the step- by- step photos. keep up the good work!

Christine says:

I’ve had these in my “wouldn’t it be cool to try this some day” file and I finally made them! My son is celebrating his 6th birthday and I thought these would be a perfect treat for his classroom. Mine aren’t as beautiful as yours (it’s my first try and I’ve bot the palates of 6 year olds to contend with) but they look awesome! I’ve been sending pictures of my creation to everyone I know along with your link. Thank you so much for the wonderful recipes you post!!!!!!

Anita says:

I love love love this idea I’m going to add them to my list of things I make and sell at craft show….awesome

Celeste says:

I was wondering how they would do if I make them in advance but don’t wrap them in the bags? Will they dry out? I’m using them for a baby shower tomorrow but I want to get started on the prep work today. Thanks!!

Just keep them in an airtight container Celeste, otherwise yes, they will dry out a little before tomorrow.

Chrissy says:

I was wondering how long these keep? If put in an airtight container, could they be made a week or two before an event (wedding reception)? They won’t be individually bagged, but put out on a tray at the reception. Thanks!

Michelle Jensen says:

Kate you have such fun ideas…

alsmouse says:

For the baby shower, do a gender reveal by making homemade marshmallow dyed for baby gender, dipped in white chocolate.
    Another flavor: Turtle: marshmallows in caramel, chocolate and then toasted chopped pecans.
    ~C8>

erica mc says:

I was picking up some regular mini marshmallows today and saw that my local walmart has the swirl ones, strawberry AND EGGNOG! Who woulda thought?!
    I also have 3 pks of almond bark, and 3 pks of the white almond bark to use this season (my Wags had it on clearance for $1.49).
    Thanks for the great idea! Think this will be one of our projects for when kids get out of school!

araceli says:

How many days in advance can I make chocolate dipped marshmallos? I’m making them for a baby shower but have lots more to do I dnt want to do everything the same day.

Angela says:

These pops are adorable, I can’t wait to make them!

monica says:

Thank you for sharing this. They are so perfect for my son’s 4 bday party!

vero says:

I’m wondering if there is anything else that we can use for coating? I’m a room mom at my children’s school and I want them to do this during their Holiday Party. Please help. :)

[...] boys and I decided that white chocolate covered marshmallows wrapped in cellophane would be way better {and, of course, more complicated} than plain old Tootsie [...]

anita says:

How far ahead can I make this??? I want theme to be fresh but have so so much to do for the birthday party can I make it 4 days ahead.

morgans mom says:

Do they need to be refrigerated while stored in the airtight container if made in advance?

elsa says:

if you want to save some money, wrapping in saran wrap and a little ribbon will do just fine. Those little bags can get expensive and the saran wrap works great.

rosa says:

Hi, I was wondering how far in advance can I make the marshmellow dipped in chocolate, if I wrap them in bags and then store in an airtight container?