I love hot chocolate.  Like, really love it. I also love flavored steamed milk.  I buy it in the middle of the summer and the Starbucks employees ask me if I’m aware they sell iced drinks.  I don’t drink coffee so I guess this is my vice.  One of my favorite things to do during the holidays is host a hot chocolate bar.  Sometimes we’ll invite another family over, sometimes we’ll host an adult get together, and sometimes I kick my husband and kiddos out of the house for a few hours and have a girls night in.  Today I’m going to show you how to step it up a notch and put something together that’s super trendy and super gourmet!  And you don’t need to throw a party to enjoy these, it’s a fun after dinner treat for the family, or just a cup for one on a chilly day.

I put together these flavor combinations with normal ingredients you can find in your own cupboards and at the grocery store.  I’m not listing ingredient amounts because it’s really a to-taste thing.  If you’re setting up spread for a get together, try putting all of these combos in little stations where people can put the add-ins in themselves.  I use little espresso sized cups so people can grab several tastes without feeling an overload!  First I’ll show you my creations, and then I’ll give you my hot chocolate tips.  Here we go…

Peppermint Plum says:

Oh, my. This post just killed me! SO YUMMY! :)

I will defintely watch you on Studio5 on Monday! Good luck!

-Annie
    {PeppermintPlum}

lisa9999 says:

My local coffee shop has a hot chocolate called The Snowball. It has coconut syrup and is topped with toasted coconut. It is yummy!! My boys would love the one with Nutella.

Alyssa and Eddy says:

Why is it a must to use whole milk as opposed to other milks?

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

I'm hosting a hot cocoa bar later this month so I appreciate the tips. I was just going with boring hot chocolate so I may try to spice it up. Thanks,
    Christy

Mystica says:

This post makes you hungry!

I am having my first giveaway on my blog – a gift card sponsored by CSN Stores. please do come over and enter

Katy says:

This is an amazing post! I love hot cocoa.
    I have been looking for something special to so for our friend Christmas, and I think this will be perfect! Thanks.

Jasey says:

I cannot find those cute gingerbread marshmallow's here anywhere! Love this post – everything about it!

Happy Day,
    Jasey

Jasey says:

PS – I was super excited to see that you recommend the exact same fudge recipe that my mom uses – the one I grew up with.I always knew she had amazing taste! However, I know you both have a thing for interesting and easy recipes – check this recipe out, it's my aunts, ONLY two ingredients and super duper creamy!

Happy Day, again,
    Jasey

lisa- LOVE the toasted coconut idea!

Alyssa- ok I should have specified, you don't *have* to use whole milk, it just tastes really really good :) Also, because it has a little more creaminess (aka fat aka yumminess) things tend to melt in a little better.

Jasey- yup, your two ingredient fudge is thick ganache, that's actually my *favorite* kind! That would work great in there too :)

Mrs. Rogers says:

You had me at Nutella!

jennibell says:

Like you, I don't like coffee and hot chocolate is my "vice". I keep it low-fat, though, except when it is my dessert. I, too, use the classic Hershey's recipe but with skim milk, one packet of artificial sweetener, and about 1/2 spoonful of caramel syrup with a dash of vanilla extract (for 1 cup). Sometimes I'll treat myself with a splash of half-and-half (esp. in the winter) just to "richen" it up. My son will be so excited to see a recipe for white hot chocolate (thank you!!!) and I've never thought to host a hot chocolate bar but I think it's in my future!!! Thanks for the great ideas — can't wait to try the Nutella version.

Deborah says:

I think that hot cocoa is one of my favorite things in the entire world! I think I'll put together a hot chocolate bar this holiday season now!

Carly says:

Okay, that Hazelnut cocoa looks INcredible.

Cher Lytle says:

Any suggestions for us lactose intolerant types? I've heard 'Silk' doesn't heat up too well.

Cupcake Activist says:

I seriously LOVE you for this post! I'm not a coffee drinker either and hot chocolate is totally my favorite winter treat. For my wedding, I got a hot chocolate machine, which mixes up the hot chocolate and dispenses with foam. Thank you for posting the recipes! I am definitely going to try to make my own hot chocolate next time.

Summer says:

I adore this idea! How fabulous! I'll be featuring it on my blog – all credit and links back to you – next week!

Michelle Osborn says:

Where are you finding the ginger marshmellos?

Midlife Army Wife says:

Love this!! Now I want to plan a Hot Cocoa Bar party!

A note for Cher who asked about Silk….

In my experience (at home and when I used to work at Starbucks), soy milk does heat up well, but it heats up faster than cow's milk so you have to watch it closely so it doesn't burn.

Thanks again! I can't wait to try some of these.

Megan says:

Wow, what creative ideas. I've never heard of a hot chocolate bar before. Looks awesome!

Instead of hot chocolate, I usually drink vanilla milk.

hot milk with either vanilla torani syrup or a teaspoon or so of vanilla and a little sugar.

Kirsten says:

You ladies are simply lovely…I just wanted to tell you that.

michelle says:

Your creativity blows my mind! You are a true genius in the kitchen. Can you think of a way to make an egg-nog flavored hot chocolate? It is my husbands absolute favorite and I would love to make it into a yummy hot drink for him this Christmas :-)
    Thanks for the awesome post.

Sally says:

They all look sooo good! I want some hot chocolate now. Like right now!

Polly says:

We were planning a Polar Express party and of course, the Polar Express needs Hot Chocolate. This post came just in time to give me a few more ideas! Yummy!

Lindsay says:

A hot chocolate bar! What a great idea. I love hot chocolate; Hershey's recipe is definitely a favorite and I make it almost every night. Can't wait to try these yummy variations!

Carrowyn says:

Eeee! I plan on having a December wedding next year (or 2012, we haven't decided yet ^_~ ) and this would be a great idea to set up at the reception. Instead of a dessert or candy bar, do a hot chocolate bar! Tiny espresso cups (love that idea so you can try a few different flavors), carafes with hot milk chocolate, white chocolate, or hot milk mixed up, items placed out, and then a chalk board with "recipes" for inspiration behind the table. This is so exciting, I love this!

Mom4ever says:

One of my favorites is white hot chocolate with peppermint syrup and caramel ice cream topping.
    (I'll have to try it with that pink peppermint whipped cream and crushed candy canes!)

Megan says:

Great ideas! I don't think I can manage to fit this in before Christmas, but wouldn't a hot chocolate bar girls night be a great way to beat the January doldrums?

To the person that asked about eggnog-flavored hot chocolate, what if you made hot chocolate by substituting egg nog for the whole milk. I bet that would be yummy!

Liz says:

I love hot chocolate with any flavor! I used to work at a coffee shop and I can't drink coffee due to a caffeine intolerance, so hot chocolate is my thing :) The one thing you have to watch out for when dealing with raspberry syrup is that it will curdle when it is mixed with milk (the acidity of the flavor causes a reaction.) To solve the problem you can add it to the chocolate syrup or mix it with a shot of espresso prior to mixing it with the coffee.
    As for why whole milk: fats carry flavor, so the higher the fat content in the milk, the better it will taste :)

Miranda says:

You ladies are A MA ZING! This looks so good! Thanks for another fabulous idea. Just a heads up for those looking for the gingerbread mallows I saw some at my local (Sandy,UT) Walmart.

The Davis Family Three says:

Oh, I am SO in love with this post! Your blog is AMAZING! I think I may just have to get some of those espresso cups…love them. Thanks for sharing all these great ideas.

ok, this is our next girls night activity! A hot cocoa bar and hours of talking with the gals. Thank you so much for the inspiration!! :)

The Smart Six says:

I recently had a to die for Hot Chocolate many of you may be familiar with. I was given a gift card to Star Bucks and not being a coffee drinker I went in search of Hot Chocolate. They had on the menu a Carmel Salted Hot Chocolate!! Yummy, they best tasting yet!! At home I recreated it by simply putting a drizzle of Caramel (1-2 tsp.) in the Hot Chocolate and sprinkled a little Kosher salt on top of the marshmallows. I crave it daily, just can't get enough!

Ramona says:

Now this post just gave me an excuse to host a winter party! I love hot chocolate too!

thscrappinmama says:

Oh my word, to die for. Decisions on what to make for Christmas morning but I think I will make the caramel ones as my daughters LOVE caramel!!! You ladies are awesome!

Jonesing for my kiddo's says:

Yummy!! I so love your ideas! Thought I'd share my favoritest hot chocolate adder right now. Hershey's Cinnamon chips. They melt so lusciously and are an awesome mix with hot chocolate, white, milk, or dark. I top that with some spray cream (don't know why but I LOVE it on hot cocoa) and enjoy.

As far as lactose-intolerant people, have you tried using Almond Milk instead? I've read you can heat it, but haven't tried doing that myself. I'm sure it would make an incredible hot chocolate though, I'd be tempted to do that even though I can have milk!!

Mike and Kimmy says:

Such a cute and fun idea! I also adore hot chocolate. Thanks for all the great pictures as well! Now I've got a hankerin' for some hot chocolate!

Kameron says:

Yes!! We're hosting a New Year's Eve thing (totally low-key), and I now have my dessert! Have people bring cookies, and provide the hot cocoa bar… in fact, I just ordered the espresso cups set! You rock!

Jennie says:

Oh my goodness look at the options!!!! YUM!!! Great creations!

Food Gal says:

Oooh, the Nutella one is definitely calling out to me. And I just happen to have two jumbo jars of Nutella on hand. Hot chocolate, here I come! ;)

The Highlands Mathis says:

Hey, just saw this on foodgawker! Way to go!

ajane says:

I absolutely ♥ Hot Choc, so must weigh in here.
    Try it with whipped cream that's only been whipped about 1/2 way, so that it is still pourable. Pour slowly over the back of a teaspoon on to your very hot Hot Choc. When you take a sip the cold cream floats on top and hits your palate while at the same time the hot choc hits the tongue.
    Quite an experience.
    Trust me ;)

cutekittypunk says:

yum yum… neat ideas. will have to definitely give that nutella one a go.

*Dream Weaver* says:

these look awesome!!!

nursegirl says:

I love your site! I really don't mean to be rude, but I'm curious. Why can you drink hot chocolate but not coffee?

nursegirl- not rude at all! We just avoid excessive caffeine due to our religious beliefs/lifestyles. Although with the amount of chocolate I consume I may need to cut back there too, haha!

Maggie says:

OMG I luv luv these ideas.
    I would like to feature them on my site and link back to you.
    Next Monday for our weekly menu round up.
    You can see it at
    I hope that's ok with you if not please let me know?
    Maggie

Megan says:

I am hosting our book club this month and am going to serve a Gourmet Hot Chocolate bar! I LOVE this idea.

I've been mixing up my own concoctions to go along with your fabulous ones. My favorite that I have come up with is TIRAMISU.

Whole milk

DARK chocolate crumbled into it

(I would love to offer a bowl for a pinch of instant coffee for flavor, but I think some of my guests would be appalled.)

Rum flavoring

Marscapone cream
    (I may or may not add that pinch of instant coffee here, somehow I think my guests would be less opposed to 'eating' a teaspoon of flavored cream than drinking it, but we'll see)

Served with Lady Fingers.

Does it sound great? Tell me it sounds great… ;) Any ideas for getting that Tiramisu coffee flavor without offending my guests?

Thanks for the great idea! My mom in Utah saw you on TV and forwarded your site to me.

Megan
    Zurich, CH

Megan says:

Not sure if you care, or if anyone is reading these comments anymore but I figured it out (I am the Tiramisu hot chocolate recipe above)! I will offer little coffee flavored chocolates (Thank you Switzerland, and your full isle of chocolate in even the smallest of grocery stores!) to melt into the milk instead of plain dark chocolate.

Wendy Sewell says:

Wow! Ok, obviously I’m a bit late to the party, but these are amazing! We are definitely doing this next winter! Thanks for all the great ideas!

amber says:

i host a cookie swap for my family and friends every year. im really considering having a hot chocolate bar this year. i know they would all love it.

Cher says:

I have a question – I love, love, love hot chocolate and all these recipes look wonderful, does anyone know of a lactose free product I can use instead of milk? Not everything heats up great.
    Thanks!

I love your cute cups that you used! Where did you get them from? I am so going to do a hot chocolate bar this year. Thanks for sharing!

Tashina says:

Love this idea! If I were to do this for a slightly bigger event, say a wedding reception…how would you recommend keeping the hot chocolate at the right temperature?

alsmouse says:

Thank you ever so much for this posting. So much inspiration. I think we will be having a new holiday tradition. Yummers.
    ~C8>

Rachel says:

I came across this site when googling recipes for hot chocolate. I am trying to discover 1 – if there is a store/shop dedicated to hot chocolate like there is for coffee and 2 – are there enough varieties of hot chocolate ‘flavors’ that currently exist so make a shop successful, if one doesn’t already exist? Any thoughts from the author?

Caron says:

Hi! Discovered your page while I was looking for an easy gourmet recipe for hot chocolate to add to one of our blog stories. We featured the Raspberry Truffle with links all back to you!

Can’t wait to try all of these yummy drinks!

Caron

We’re having a cold day here in May and was so happy to stumble across your picture of Hazelnut hot chocolate on Pinterest…..oh yum! I made it with cinnamon whipped topping instead of chocolate because that’s what I had on hand and it’s delicious! Can’t wait to try the rest!

~ Mara

Lynda says:

I can’t wait to try some of these ideas!

I make my own (have to being dairy-free). I make mine with 1 1/2 cups coconut milk heated just under a boil. I use dutch cocoa with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar. Pour the milk into the cocoa (or combine it all on the stove) in a mug. Garnish with a homemade marshmallow and enjoy. It tastes just like a mounds candy bar…delicious!

[…] If you want to take a little trip into Hot Chocolate Nirvana…head on over to Our Best Bites where Gourmet Hot Chocolates are being served up a plenty.  We have Raspberry Truffle! […]

Becky says:

Love hot chocolate! Doing a hot chocolate bar for neighborhood book club tonight. My problem is I can’t decide which ones to do!

[…] trust, and would honestly recommend   Red Velvet Hot Chocolate from Six Sisters’ Stuff 5 Amazing Cocoa Recipes from Our Best Bites Sugar Free Hot Cocoa from Pint Sized Baker Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate from No. 2 […]