So I’m sure lots of you are familiar with that apple butter pork loin recipe–it seems like it is one of those recipes like funeral potatoes (cheesy hashbrown casserole, if you’re not familiar with the lingo) that everyone has and no one knows where it came from. I’ll be honest. I want to like it so badly. It sounds so yummy. But I can’t handle that much one-note sweetness with meat.
Awhile back, Sara and I were accidentally shipped some apple products from Musselman’s

(hey, I’m not complaining!) and I remembered apple butter pork loin. And I remembered my feelings of longing and wistfully not fitting in because I’m not 100% crazy about it. So I decided to do something about it and dress up that apple butter pork loin recipe, making it something company-worthy and keeping a lot of the sweetness, but also adding a lot of my favorite savory flavors.
You’ll need a really high-quality apple cider–something where you can’t see all the way through it, like this Musselman’s cider or Simply Apple.

Also, some apple butter. This is super easy to find–it’s usually near the jams, jellies, and peanut butter.

In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider, apple butter, some Creole or coarsely ground mustard,

and a whole bunch of fresh garlic.

Whisk it all together and set it aside.

Next, whisk together some all-purpose flour, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and garlic powder and set it aside.

To get your pork chops, you can either buy pre-cut boneless pork chops, or you can partially freeze a pork sirloin roast (which is very lean and inexpensive) and then cut 4 3/4-inch slices out of the thickest part of the roast, then just save the ends for a lean alternative to pork shoulder in BBQ Pork Sandwiches.

Preheat your oven to 375.

Prepare half of a recipe of caramelized onions (so you’re just using 1 large onion here) in a large, oven-safe skillet. When you’re done caramelizing your onions, remove them from the pan and set them aside. Return the skillet to the stovetop and heat 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.

While the oil is heating, dredge your pork chops in the flour/garlic powder mixture.

When the oil is very hot (like sizzling if you flick some water into it), place the pork chops in the hot skillet and cook them for 2-3 minutes per side or until they are brown and crispy.

Whisk the apple cider mixture again and then pour it over the pork chops. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Divide the caramelized onions evenly among the pork chops,

cover the pan with a lid, and place the pan in the oven for 30 minutes. If you don’t have a large, oven-safe skillet with a lid, just place them in a 9×13″ baking dish and cover with foil, it’ll just be another dish to wash. Remove the pan from the oven and place each pork chop on a plate with a few spoonfuls of sauce. Serve with your favorite veggies or a tossed green salad.

Shelby says:

Looks delicious! My DIL loves the Musselman's Apple Butter and she won't eat anything but that (not even my homemade!).

Amy Glisan says:

Pefect timing, I bought some pork chops this weekend and didn't know what to do with them!

leslie the licorice stick lady says:

Thanks! I really need more pork recipes! I actually have some apple butter I need to use, so this is great! Apples and pork go so well together. :)

HWFA says:

I've been waiting years for this recipe and didn't even know it … Thanks for another awesome dinner!!

Trina says:

This is awesome! Can't wait to try it – and thanks for the Weight Watchers point tally – is that for
    the Points Plus or the old program?

con-tain-it says:

Sounds great…I'm always looking for new ways with pork loin/boneless chops since we live in the south and it's the other white meat ;) I so agree with you on being too sweet…I like a balance of sweet and spicy. Just modified a recipe this weekend for Green Chili Pork Stew that I got from "Shed's Spread"…you know the imitation butter spread! It was great served with brown rice and sour cream and also rolled up in flour tortilla wraps. I'll be posting the recipe on my blog soon.

Domestic Nerd says:

LOL…it sounds like me with ranch dressing. I feel like such an outcast because I hate the stuff & it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't love it!

Mary says:

Looks and sounds yummy. We call the hashbrown casserole "church potatoes" because you always see them on the line for dinners after funerals.

Kaseface says:

Looks great! I am so glad you are doing Weight Watchers pointsplus since I am doing those too! Could you be more specific on what the points are for? Is it 7 points per pork chop? Thanks!

Peggy says:

Wow this recipe sounds great! Okay, I have to admit it is great because it is almost IDENTICAL to my mom's recipe. In years past she would take this and put it over a pork roast on a bed of cabbage/chopped apple/onion which she cooked slowly in the oven or crockpot! Talk about heaven!!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions says:

We eat lots of pork chops around here, so I will definitely be adding this recipe in the rotation because it sounds (and looks) delicious!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Kaseface–Yep, it's 7 points per pork chop, plus 1/4 of the sauce in the pan.

teeny says:

i just had pork chops tonight and mine were no where near yours in taste(probably) or looks! going to make these. thanks!

HollyL says:

These look so delicious! I havent had pork chops forever, Im gonna give this a try : )

Ann says:

I love pork and apples together. This looks wonderful!

Jenn says:

Oh, My Yum…….!

I think I have to try this this weekend. Sounds delicious!!!!

Mary says:

Okay so I got everything to make these tonight when I realize I don't have coarsely ground mustard. Can I substitute regular mustard or just wait til I go to the store next and make this as written?

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Oh, no, Mary! I probably wouldn't use regular yellow mustard. What other kinds of mustard do you have?

Everyday Cookin' says:

You just combined two things that make me VERY happy – apple, butter, and pork! Oh yes, I can see how this is nothing less than delicious.

Mary says:

LOL, sorry Kate, no other mustards here but plain regular yellow…I wasn't even aware that coarsely ground mustard existed prior to yesterday LOL. So I'm guessing I should go with plan B – Kate's spapeggy and meatballs?

BboyBassman says:

This recipe was fantastic! It has now become one of my go-to pork recipes because its A) SUPER simple and B) SUPER delicious!! I loved the way the flavors came together especially with the carmelized onions (which, thanks to you, I am much more confident in making).

One alteration I made (out of necessity) was to use Trader Joe's Cranberry-Apple Butter instead of regular apple butter. But it ended up working perfectly and added another level of flavor with the slight tartness from the Cranberries.

Thanks again for posting this!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Mary, see if you can find Zatarain's Creole Mustard. It is FABULOUS (definitely my favorite mustard) and is perfect in this recipe. If not, even Walmart brand has a really good coarse mustard.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Oh, and BBoyBassman–I'm so glad you loved it! Next time I happen across a Trader Joes, I think I'm going to have to try that cranberry apple butter; it sounds amazing!

Adriann says:

That actually sounds good! I'm gonna try it.

Klidmoster says:

Wow, I will try these soon :-)

Sweet Relief says:

I swear you guys are mind readers becuase I know this has happened before here. But I just got a box of apples and decided I was going to make apple butter but besides putting it on toast and giving it as gifts I didn't have a clue what I would do with all that apple butter. This looks delicious! Beats the heck out of my dad's straight apple sauce with pork chops.

Kira says:

Oh my word, I've been scrolling through your blog and I want to eat EVERYTHING I see! Your recipes sound amazing and I can't wait to try them. Thank you, thank you!

Rachel says:

I just made these tonight. HEAVEN! It was soooooo delicious! The flavor of the sauce was perfect – a better texture than straight apple sauce (nothing against apple sauce)!

Thank you!

Kira says:

We made this tonight. It was really quick to prepare and was fabulous! My husband came home from work from lunch to gobble the leftovers. Next time I will let the sauce cook down a little more. Otherwise it was GREAT!
    P.S. I used bone-in pork chops that were on sale for $1.38 at Safeway and they were GREAT in this!

Tara says:

I tried this last night for dinner and used my homemade spiced peach butter instead and it was so yummy! I have 4 picky boys at my table and the only problem was that we ran out!!! Thanks for a great pork chops idea!

Deena says:

What would you serve as a side for these? They look yummy!

Sarah Bast says:

MMmmkay….made this last night and it was delish! So yummy and sorta fall-y cause of the apple flavor. Thank you again for every yummy recipe….I have made many and none have disappointed!!

Heidi says:

Do you think it would matter if I didn’t do the carmelized onions? I just used my last onion tonight and I can’t go to the store tomorrow. Thanks!

Well, not caramelizing them is one thing, but leaving them out altogether is another thing. They really add a lot to the flavor, so if you can track one down, that would probably be best. :)

Pat baker says:

They were wonderful!!!!

Audrey says:

Hi! I am making some freezer meals for a friend who recently had a baby and this one looks great! One question though. When she is ready to bake it, does she need to thaw it beforehand, or do the cooking instructions “baked covered for one hour” assume it is being baked from a frozen state? Thanks!

Brett says:

I’m curious about this too. I’m getting ready to have a baby and would love to have a pan of these in my freezer!

Eireann says:

Was there an answer to this question? Bake from frozen for 1 hour or thaw first and bake for 1 hr? Thanks!

Jana Neser says:

This recipe was phenomenal! Thank you!

Cari says:

This sounds delicious………….. but how is it is “Freezer Meal”?

Holly McCord says:

I have made this (almost) exact recipe after having the same “one note” thoughts about the pork roast recipe and modifying it. However, for flavor you cannot beat bone-in center cut loin chops. I recommend them over the boneless everytime. Lean or not. :-)

Beth says: