Posted in Kate, Other, Oven Baked

First of all, if you haven’t entered the giveaway for one of our cookbooks yet, click HERE to do it!

So let me tell you a tragic little tale about this friend I had in college. This friend of mine once needed a lot of help from one of her professors on a paper and he very graciously spent about 2 hours of time that he could have been doing whatever college professors do during their office hours helping my friend gather some information. Feeling indebted to her professor and also a little peckish, my friend made a batch of the most delicious oatmeal raisin cookies in the universe. The next day, she took the batch of cookies to school with her so she could take them to her professor as a thank you. But before she would have a chance to deliver the cookies, she had to work. At a computer. In an office. By herself. For four hours. I am sad to report that none of the cookies survived. And then, just to really knock the day out of the park, she skipped class and took a nap on the floor of the mother’s lounge next to her office. Sadly, the teacher was never properly thanked and the most tragic part of the tale is that the quality of the cookies was never replicated.

So yeah…this friend of mine kind of has a thing for warm, sweet, cinnamon-y oatmeal-raisin-y goodness and even though she’s tried to figure out what she did so right that one time (it was the recipe on the Quaker oatmeal container. And while we’re throwing all our secrets out there, my “friend” was me. Are you shocked?), she is consoled with this recipe which is also kind of her favorite breakfast of all time. Because as long as you serve this with bacon and orange juice, this baked oatmeal is totally breakfast (or breakfast for dinner). Just ignore the amounts of butter and brown sugar that set off your cookie radar. Unless your kids refuse to eat it. Then you can totally tell them it’s cookies for breakfast.
You’ll need oats (duh, right?! But don’t get the quick-cooking ones), milk, some kind of dried fruit (I love craisins, but raisins, cherries, coconut, or even dried apples are all good), eggs (these are not cookies), 3/4-1 cup of brown sugar (I do 3/4 c. and then if anyone wants more, they can add it themselves), cinnamon, baking powder, and butter (again…definitely not cookies!). I bet you could add some walnuts or pecans, too, and it would be awesome.

Also, in the spirit of not-cookie-ness, I bet it would be not disgusting if you left out the fruit and added some chocolate chips right before serving the oatmeal. If you can live with yourself for adding chocolate chips to your breakfast. And I think you guys know me well enough to know that I totally can.

Anyway. Preheat your oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats, dried fruit, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.

See? Doesn’t that look wholesome and healthy? It just kind of makes you think of something warm and cozy you’d be whipping up in a snowy cottage after a morning of cross-country skiing or other strenuous and good-for-you activity. At which point you take out a smaller mixing bowl and melt a stick of butter.
Add your eggs, milk, and vanilla to the melted butter and whisk it to combine.

Then add the butter/milk/egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour this mixture into a deep 9″ or 10″ pie plate or an 8″x8″ or 9″x9″ baking dish. Or something similar. Just don’t get too big–I’ve found a 9×13″ pan makes things a little too dry.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

Don’t worry about cutting it–just scoop it into individual bowls and add a splash of warm or hot milk (cold milk is weird–everything becomes lukewarm, which isn’t really what you’re after). If you’re wondering what it’s like (besides awesome), it’s kind of a cross between regular oatmeal and a granola bar. Like (dare I say it??) a warm cookie that kind of falls apart with a spoon.

teeny says:

oh, i'm going to try this! looks so good
    side note! if you haven't gotten or seen kate and sara's cookbook, it is beautiful!!!!! nice job girls!!1

Kayli says:

So yeah, the baked oatmeal recipe looks nice and all, but really what I have to say is that I *LOVE* your cookie story. Especially the part about taking a nap on the floor of the mother's lounge. Utterly classic. Love it.

Brianna. says:

I just got the new cookbook! I went to have dinner at my in-law's house and there it was in all it's glory, sitting on the couch. It's a beautiful sight to behold. I'm so excited to try out new recipes, and I'm thrilled that some of my favorite recipes from the blog are in it too! It's a dream come true ! :)

end the fiasco! says:

Writing my grocery list on Tuesday night and you posting on Wednesday morning is pretty counter productive!

Melly says:

Oh my gracious, this looks divine! I love how there aren't any Weight Watchers points posted underneath this one. I can just tell myself it's oatmeal and oatmeal is "very" healthy, right? :-)

Kristen says:

When I saw this recipe this morning I had to try it for breakfast. I halved the recipe and cooked for about 25 minutes. I have to say this is delicious!!

Meaghan Luby says:

oooooooooooooooooooooo
    yummmmmm
    wowwwwwwwwwwwww
    those are all the sounds and oo's i think i would be making munching on this treat.
    i cannot wait to try :)
    thanks for posting! ha
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

~*~ saskia ~*~ says:

It sounds and looks delicious. I will try this one day very soon!
    Have a happy day xx

Patti says:

Yum!! I bet some toasted pecans added with the dried cherries would be yummy too!
    I know what my weekend breakfast will be. :)

SnoWhite says:

We love baked oatmeal at our place. In fact, we use entirely all applesauce in our version — you'd never know :)

Kristan says:

Oatmeal cookies are my all time favorite!!

This looks AMAZING!! Like a big bowl of awesome.

Happy Wednesday!!!

Nicole says:

My mom swears they've changed the Quaker recipe from the original version.. which she swears had nutmeg in it. So I always add nutmeg to oatmeal cookies which is soooo yummy! Can't wait to try this though.

HWFA says:

I've tried this a few times, but I'm sure you've perfected it … as always :-) And so happy your cookbook is finally here!! It is fantastic and can't wait to try some of your new recipes as well as have favorites all in one place! Found it at Costco yesterday, made my day :-)

Shannon says:

I'm totally going to make this recipes this weekend. I had to send my husband your post, so he doesn't get freaked out by baked oatmeal and he just thinks "cookies for breakfast". I have to make it dairy-free for one of my little guys, but I have every confidence it'll be delicious. Thanks so much for sharing!

Leisel says:

I have a slightly different recipe for baked oatmeal, but it is sooooo good! The difference between regular oatmeal and the baked kind is like the difference between rice cakes snd a candy bar.

Adriann says:

Yum! And ah, memories or ditching class and taking a nap in the mother's lounge. Good times =). My favorite mother's lounge was on the 4th floor of the library. Nice big comfy couch ;).

Oh my gosh Adriann- I know *exactly* which mother's lounge you're talking about, lol. Best couches ever in there! I felt bad for the actual mothers because there were always people sleeping on them, hahaha

PS Kate- oatmeal looks great!

Stacy Kristine says:

I love to make baked oatmeal on the weekend (sometimes 2 batches!) and it keeps for the week. It makes a great breakfast that is easy to pop in the microwave to warm up. I also use fresh apples cut up in addition to or in place of the dried fruit- perfect way to use apples that are better for baking than eating fresh. Thanks for sharing!

Katie L. says:

Best story ever, Kate! ;-)

The cookies / breakfast look pretty spectacular, too.

Ziegler Family says:

This just sounds sooo good. Even if It's not a "cookie"
    love it

Emilee says:

I don't like oatmeal because of the globby texture, so this sounds like a perfect way for me to eat oatmeal for breakfast.

Lindsay says:

Yum. Since I frequently eat oatmeal cookies for breakfast, this will be right up my ally. Thanks!

The Cains says:

Does sound yummy-licious…but I have 2 words for you…..BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS! I mean, if we're throwing chocolate chips out there why not go all the way? Dare I say it…..Scotchy Baked Oatmeal!

Oh help me Rhonda! Can't get to the kitchen fast enough! ;o)

scarlett says:

Speaking from the viewpoint of a college professor, track down his/her email address, email him/her with a heartfelt "Thank you!" and send him/her the link to the post. It's never too late, and I promise you that you will maker his/her day!

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS says:

Yum, that sounds good! Especially on this cold, winter day… We live in the valley and woke up to snow! Loved your cookie story. :)

Choate Family says:

I got my cookbook today! I love it, you guys did such a great job. Some of my favorite recipes are in it and I can't wait to try the new ones. Thanks, you guys are the best!

rach says:

JUST GOT MY COOKBOOK TODAY IN THE MAIL! It's wonderful…you girls did a great job. It's something you should be proud of. Thank you!

RLR says:

Looks delicious! And since I've been eating backed PB oatmeal for about the last 5 weeks, it's time for a change!

Tana says:

I know what you mean about oatmeal cookies! My friend baked the most wonderful chewy sweet oatmeal cookies ever, and when I asked her for the recipe she said she got it off the Quaker oatmeal can. Well, I made the same recipe and they weren't nearly as good. Still on the search for the perfect oatmeal cookie recipe.

Baked oatmeal isn't anything like regular cooked oatmeal is it? I HATE oatmeal (cooked the traditional way) with a passion – never liked it, never will. I used to gag and retch when we had it as a kid, and I still hate it. Pity, since it's cheap, easy, and nutritious.

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Tana, WHAT THE HECK?! I'm so glad I'm not the only one that's happened to, haha!

Nope, the texture is nothing like regular oatmeal. My son has food texture issues (ask Sara about the oatmeal story I totally overshared a few weeks ago) and he loves it. It's kind of like soft granola. Or, really truly, an oatmeal cookie that's falling apart.

k says:

How is everyone getting their cookbooks already? I pre-ordered from amazon and the shipping date says it won't ship til march 11th! I can't wait that long!!!

Tashia says:

Bah! There is no more room to post a comment to enter the contest! :( but I did become a follower as a result!

Mark Petersen says:

My room mates and I totally dig this stuff. I made it this morning. All I had was the quick oats and they seemed to work fine too.

LollyChops says:

My mom got her "best bites book" today! She told me I could come over and drool next to it! hehehe I cannot wait to get mine!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions says:

I have totally been wanting to try baked oatmeal for like forever! I really need to try it soon!

I love this with vanilla yogurt, too!!

quilter says:

Here is my recipe for
    "Overnight Oatmeal"…

4 to 1 ratio (water to oats)..
    Steel Cut oats
    Water

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

Place ingredients in dutch oven.
    Place in heated oven for 10 hours…
    You can dress it as you like, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, etc.!

It is our Christmas morning standard fare!

Jenny W. says:

Have you ever used a little less sugar and substituted the difference with honey or agave? Just curious if you have and how you did. this looks so good and I'm always looking for alternatives to cereal for us!

Abby says:

I've always had baked oatmeal at breakfast…please don't tell me that it is a dessert! :)

Valerie says:

My sister makes wonderful oatmeal cookies with cinnamon chips and jumbo flame raisins (which ad a distinctive wonderful flavor to the cookies). . . my coworkers cannot resist

Susan says:

I finally found where to sign in to request a chance to win your cook book. I LOVE your recipes and would absolutely be over the moon if I were selected to win one of your cook books. Your web site is one of the first I go to each day and always love it. You are doing a really good job. Keep it up.

free indeed says:

A warm cookie????? I'm all over this recipe then LOL. Funny how I love oatmeal cookies, bars but don't like oatmeal as a cereal…guess it's the texture or something…I'd be willing to try this one though…would be great to have for a brunch with the grandkids. THanks

BrandiB says:

Yum! Will you please stop posting so many fabulous recipes? I can't keep up! :-) And I can't wait to get your cookbook. Congrats to you both!

Christina says:

Haha! You girls crack me up with your stories! ;P This looks SO darn yummy! :))

Superjaxster says:

Looks heavenly :) Must try this one!

Bolo heads says:

I totally made this for breakfast this morning and we had it with ice cream. I say forget the warm milk and go for the ice cream

Kameron says:

Yummy! I'm wondering if you COULD bake this in a 9×13 and end up with some delicious crunchy granola?? I just found some to-die-for granola that has dried cherries and COCOA. Mmmmmmm.

Can't wait for your cookbook!!!

Lacey says:

I made this for breakfast this morning and it was Uh. May. Zing. So delish!!!!!!!

Ang says:

My kids beg for oatmeal, and almost threw a fit when I said I wanted to try a new recipe! :) We're having it for lunch today with ham slices. I'm excited to try it, even if I did forget the vanilla and had to pull the pan out of the oven to stir some in! Same thing happened when I made actual oatmeal cookies the other day…which, incidentally, were the best I've ever made, possibly ever had. Got the recipe/instructions from Chinese Grandma's blog, ha! They were amazing. And addictive. I had then for breakfast (and snacks, and dessert) for days and days. Seriously, Kate, they're worth a try.

Beattie Family says:

I've got this in my oven right now for an afternoon snack when the kiddos wake up from naps. I was wondering how to convert this to a slowcooker overnight recipe? I can't wait 45 minutes for breakfast!

smalltownoven says:

What a cute story! I love dried fruit in my oatmeal and I've been experimenting with craisins and cherries just like this.

Stacie says:

just FYI, i've been making this oatmeal (with 3 variations) every other day for breakfast for my family. if you want to have it regularly, and therefore need it to be healthy, drop the butter to 2 Tbls., drop the sugar to 1/3 cup (white or brown) and i increase the milk. it works well with as much as 3 cups of milk. but you have to cover it with tin foil because it takes longer to bake and absorb all the milk, so the top would burn. it really is true that you MUST pour hot milk over the top, not cold. it can be healthy and something you will want regularly! also, you can make it the night before (but don't bake), cover with foil, put in fridge. then put in oven to bake the next morning! good luck!

Angela says:

I just recieved my copy of your cookbook. I love it. It is so pretty. Thank You

Lisa says:

I have to say that I also made a perfect batch of oatmeal cookies right off the box and also have never replicated it! I wonder if they changed that recipe from the early 90s. Sad. But I also love baked oatmeal, so I'm with you there!

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

I have a recipe kind of like this but this one looks better and I must try it! It's funny bc my kids hate oatmeal cooked on the stove, but they love the baked outmeal!

Ang says:

Had to add my voice, in case any ody reads down the comments this far, on the subject of the milk's temperature. I first topped with cold milk out of convenience and thought the recipe was just ok: about the same texture as my stovetop oatmeal, had a ton more sugar and fat, though – all in all a take-it-or-leave-it experiment. And then – and THEN – I reheated the leftovers, adding the milk before I reheated it. So. Much. Better. This is one cozy memory away from being traditional cold-weather comfort food for the family. Thank You!!!

Naomi says:

My son is a very picky eater with texture issues and I asked him if he wanted to try some. To my surprise he did, and then proceeded to devour it, and then ask for more…and more! Love it! As always, you guys are awesome!!

Lindsay says:

I make nearly this same recipe several times a week because my daughter eats it for breakfast every morning. However, I have reduced the butter to 6 Tablespoons. (I’ll have to try applesauce) And, instead of an egg, I put in a mixture of 1 tablespoon flax seed + 3 tablespoons water. My daughter never knew the difference!

Destiny says:

OMG this is my FAVORITE recipe! I make it about once a week and eat it just about every morning. Everyone I’ve made it for or passed the recipe on to has loved it too!

Midwesterner says:

Cut recipe in half and baked in a glass loaf pan for 35 minutes. Delicious. And very filling – even a half recipe was 4 satisfying servings. Leftovers reheated nicely in microwave, about 30 seconds on high for one serving. I’m looking forward to making another batch with less butter/sugar and more milk as suggested by another commenter.

Marta says:

For those of you who have “texture issues”, I never liked cooked oatmeal until I stopped putting milk on it, added soy granules or wheat germ, craisins, etc. I drink a cold glass of milk with my gooey thick oatmeal and am perfectly content.

Jennie says:

Oooohhhh… we love baked oatmeal. It may shock you, but I eat mine with honey greek yogurt on it. I may have to try this recipe. It has more yummy sugary goodness in it than mine.

Katie says:

My new breakfast (or anytime) treat! Made this a couple of nights ago! So YUM! Thanks! I have been taking leftovers for breakfast each morning since. I cut up and apple and added it along with the cranraisins and it was so good! Next time I might try adding blueberries. Hmmm!

Jamie says:

This is wonderful! And I love it even more warmed up with a little milk, the next day!

Thanks for this great recipe! I made it this morning with some adaptations: http://www.amberdegrace.com/2011/05/maple-baked-oatmeal.html

Anitra says:

I have tried this a few times now and LOVE it! It makes a perfect Sunday morning breakfast for my family – I put it all together Saturday night and pop it in the fridge. When I get up in the morning, I turn the oven on and put it in. 40 minutes later, voila! A hearty and delicious breakfast.

Sherry says:

I have been making baked oatmeal for several years – modified of course, as the first recipe I had ever seen for baked oatmeal contained something like 1 cup of oil or butter AND at least a cup of brown sugar. Usually I sub apple juice for most of the oil – use about 2 Tbsp of oil or butter, chop up a whole apple, peels and all + dried fruit, 1/4 cup of brown sugar or honey, because more sugar/honey can be added at serving time. It is a wonderful breakfast – however it is also one of our favorite desserts for dinner – warmed up with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, so the breakfast leftovers end up as dessert! I have also frozen it in individual servings to bring to work for breakfast.

Charlotte says:

I have made this countless amount of times since finding this on your site and I love it soooo much!! I even love it cold and so far I’ve put dehydrated coconut in it instead of dried fruit and it works very well!!
    Thanks for a great recipe and keep them coming.
    Charlotte;)

Melissa:) says:

dear you guys,
    thank you for bringing one of my favorite memories of my summer back!!!
    I went to israel this summer for 2 months on a mission trip and my leader would make baked oatmeal ALL the TIME and i kept wanting to make it at home!!! so thanks, im making this for my family tomorrow.

Kristen says:

It doesn’t look good it looks AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Shirlene says:

I made this up last night and refrigerated it for morning, is wonderful in flavor. I didn’t have dried fruit so I used some frozen cranberries that I chopped up in my nut chopper! Little 3 yr old says “mmmmm that’s good, that taste good!” He don’t usually like cinnamon so that is a good response from him. It even taste good COLD out of the fridge. I do have a question: what does the baking powder do in this mix?

Hey Girls, would I be able to double this recipe and put it in a bigger pan without drying it out?

colleen from alabama says:

Do you think i could substitute pureed pumpkin for applesauce? I like apple sauce but am in the mood for something pumpkiny (is that a word?) and i like the sound of pumpkin oatmeal!

Rachel T says:

My daughter wanted oatmeal this morning so we tried this recipe. It was a success. Both my girls ate it all up! Thanks!

Annie Washington says:

I have made this almost every other day since i found the recipe about 6mos.ago I simple love it and it is good for you.I add nuts to mine either walnuts or pecans which ever i have on hand.

CAMI HALL says:

This was extremely bland & sits so heavy in your stomach, that we (myself & my husband) were disappointed. I can see how people would like this though, so I think it’s more just my personal opinion. Though, I did want others to know how heavy this pie really is, so it’s better to serve small portions.

Ashlee W says:

I loved it, along with my in laws! It is more like a cookie…what a good excuse! Will be making again (and again, and again)

Amber says:

Anyone tried this with fresh fruit or reheated as leftovers? This is a must-try, especially with fall right around the corner. So glad I stumbled across this reading all of the other favorite recipes of contest entries for the apron! :)

Jamie says:

We love this recipe and it has become a staple in our family. One of my daughters has food allergies so we usually substitute the milk, butter and eggs with rice milk, oil, and applesauce and we love it that way as well! It freezes fine and reheats great.

October Days says:

[...] used this recipe from Our Best Bites, but cut down the brown sugar to just under 1/2 cup, replaced the 1/2 cup of butter with a 1/4 cup [...]

Amber Weaver says:

As a young newlywed, one of the happiest moments for me is when my husband is amazed at a meal I make him (I’m definitely still learning!). I made this for breakfast this morning, and he flipped! It also convinced him immediately to purchase the Our Best Bites cookbook on our new Kindle. ;) Thank you so much!

Becky B says:

A family member made this for Christmas morning–we all loved it, even the picky ones. She swapped out all the butter for applesauce, and it was still great. It’s probably good that we never knew what we were missing, as it might have been even better, if that is possible. Surprisingly, it was good re-heated too. THANK YOU!

[...] if you want to try it out too, enter to win a copy of their Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites cookbook! (only 1 day left!) or if you can’t wait that long, (i wouldn’t be able to – it’s just too good!) then you can find the recipe on their website, here. [...]

Beth Ellen says:

I have tried this recipe several times since running across it on my cousin’s Facebook wall. I love it, as does my husband, who doesn’t regularly eat oatmeal. As a nursing mom, I add almond slices to help with my milk production, and a fresh apple for extra fiber. Delicious! Thank you!

Tracy says:

Hi I am wondering if this could be mixed up the night before and then pulled out of the fridge and put right into the oven in the morning? Thanks Tracy

Carolyn says:

Ok, so I’ve made this twice now. The first time I tried it with reduced butter and sugar, and it came out tough and chewy, kinda like the oatmeal wasn’t cooked thoroughly enough. I figured the butter and sugar was my problem, so yesterday I made it exactly as written in the recipe (in a 9×9 pan both times, btw). It still came out super chewy. Is this how baked oatmeal is supposed to be (I’ve never had it before), or is there something going wrong–maybe how my gas oven bakes it, or maybe I should try quick oats? I really want to love this recipe, my husband and son love oatmeal cookies so I was hoping this could be a breakfast version.

Catherine Kershaw says:

Do you think baked oatmeal would work with steel cut oats and agave nectar?

Shannon says:

I’ve made this delicious baked oatmeal in the past – it’s delicious! – and I’m wondering if there is a way to make it with steel-cut oats? Maybe soak them overnight and then bake as per the recipe? I’d love to hear your thoughts :)

[…] from Our Best Bites (I love these ladies!!!)…Mini Puffed Oven Pancake with Berry Sauce, Baked Oatmeal, or Easy Potato and Bacon Breakfast […]