Last week when I was in Utah, I kept joking that Louisiana winters have made me soft–it was burn-your-face-off cold and windy. But really, while I was gone, it was still pretty darn cold here, too–when I finally made it back, I had the most incredibly gorgeous 1 1/2-hour drive home from the airport where it was clear and cold and the trees, especially the ones in the swamps, were all covered in ice. When I got out of the car at home, it was totally silent except for the icy branches clinking together and it was so magically melancholy because I knew the ice would melt and it would probably be soggy and brown the next day. Which it was.
I know, I know, this post is about Brussels sprouts and I’m yammering on about the stupid ice storm, right? My point is…unless it’s a winter fairytale outside, winter is winter and I’m always glad to see spring around the corner. So even though it’s only February and even though it’s only been genuinely cold here since November, I’m totally ready to welcome spring. Brussels sprouts are great at this time of year because they have kind of a wild, earthy smell that make spring feel like it’s right around the corner.
Brussels sprouts have kind of a bad reputation and it’s true, they can be a little strong. But I love roasting because they come out sweeter, less bitter, and a little crispy rather than mushy. Plus, they pack an amazing nutritional punch, especially when you use a little extra-virgin olive oil.
You can roast them a la Ina Garten with just some olive oil and Kosher salt, but I love it with some balsamic vinegar and garlic (almost exactly how we do our grilled asparagus!). You’ll need 1 lb. fresh Brussels sprouts (frozen sprouts aren’t great–they come out mushy and smelly), 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, some balsamic vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.

Preheat your oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Rinse your sprouts.
Working one sprout at a time, cut off the tough end. At this point, you’ll probably notice some of the outer leaves begging you to pick them off. Do it. Just gently slip your fingers over the sprout and peel off anything that wants to come off. If the whole sprout is falling apart, toss it, but generally, you’ll get at least 2 leaves off of each sprout.

After you have de-uglified the sprouts, slice them each in half and place them in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together some vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pour it over the sprouts and toss them so they’re evenly coated.
Spread the sprouts onto the prepared baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes or until the sprouts are tender and a little crispy. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a little more vinegar and some more Kosher salt to taste. Serve immediately. Try to convince your children that they’re giants and they’re eating teeny tiny cabbages. It might work! My kids, however, were not convinced that they were giants or that they liked Brussels sprouts, but hey, I tried, right?

BAKING COLOURS says:

I love the Brussels Sprouts, just plain with salt and some lemon juice. But this recipe seems wonderfull!… I´ll try it at home, this is one of my favorite vegetables!…your work, just lovely as always!…kisses from argentina

Kristan says:

You know, my husband HATES Brussels Sprouts so I hadn't made them in YEARS (I loved them as a child). Recently I decided to make some for myself (something I rarely do) and hated the mushiness.

Seriously, were they always like that?

I think this version sounds MUCH more appealing!!

Dixie Mom says:

My mouth is literally watering. I've always been a huge fan of brussels sprouts. My family…not fans. I'll try this and see if I can covert them!

Georganna says:

These look really yummy! I will try them soon and see how my family does! I'm sure I will like them!! Thanks for the tips!

Patti says:

I just can't get myself to eat brussel sprouts. My mom always told me they were like little cabbages (I adore cabbage!)…yeah, they didn't smell like little cabbages so I wasn't buying it. My son on the other hand LOVES brussel sprouts, he has ever since he was little and Grandma fixed them for him.(at least she convinced someone, right?) He also really likes balsamic and garlic. Score!
    I may have to try these…they may be the recipe for brussel sprouts I've been waiting for and may even convince me to eat some! My mom would be so proud! :)

Marya says:

Does this version make the house smell of cooking brussel sprouts while it's cooking? That's the big complaint about brussel sprouts in my house — that they stink up everything…

I totally read this title as "Oven Roasted Atomic Brussel Sprouts" hahaha

Guess what? I have never eaten a brussel sprout. Ever. I think it's time to be a grown up and make them!

Erin says:

I happen to have a bag of brussels sprouts in the freezer (having never made them before, and they were on sale for a really good deal), but now I'm thinking I may have to throw them away and try again with fresh ones. These look SO good.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions says:

Brussels sprouts do have such a bad rap… but as I have found with most vegetables that if you roast them the flavor is unreal! I can’t wait to try these!

Kate @ Our Best Bites says:

Patti–Definitely like tiny little cabbages. If you like cabbage, I bet you'll like these! :)

Marya–Nope, it doesn't. In fact, my daughter only ate them because they smelled so good. Boiling or steaming, on the other hand…

Amanda says:

Brussels sprouts are my 5 year old's favorite food. She begs for them all the time! I'm definitely going to give these a try!

Elizabeth says:

This is the only way I will eat Brussels sprouts! I adore roasting vegetables (I convinced a former broccoli hater to eat broccoli after I roasted it and she loved it!) and adding the vinegar gives it such great flavor. They don't even taste like Brussels spouts. Yum.

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, & Isaac says:

Despite what my children might think, I think this looks awesome. I am always looking for another healthy side to serve. Thanks you awesome ladies you!

Britanie says:

It's my husband that I have to convince he's a giant eating tiny cabbages, maybe this will be the trick and he won't turn up his nose when he sees them at the dinner table. So excited to try this recipe out!

teeny says:

kate, just made another batch of taco soup. yum! taking some over to the rands to share! thanks! love

Spryte says:

I LOVE balsamic brussel sprouts!! I've never tried roasting them… they look delicious!!

Kate says:

I think I'll take this on as a challenge. I've tried to like Brussels sprouts–I really have–but I may just be able to do it when they're paired with balsamic vinegar. Definitely something to try.

Evangelia says:

love brussels sprouts! usually roast them, and love the idea of adding the balsamic! they are now on the shopping list :)

Miss. Tarrah Dame says:

Loving your pictures! I'm hoping to save up enough for a good camera soon so my blog pictures can look as good :)

Andrea says:

I'm new to your blog but I'm pretty sure I am already addicted I plan on spreading the word about all these delicious and fun recipies!

end the fiasco! says:

Bought the sprouts! Let me just say, this was no small moment in my life. I was the kiddo that stayed at the table until 12am because she wouldn't eat her brussel sprouts. I saw them at the grocery store today and they are awfully cute and not as gag inspiring as I remember them so I'm taking them to my mothers tomorrow and trying your recipe with her. This will either be a great Valentine's present for her when I try them & love them OR bring back annoying parenting memories when I try them & still hate them, either way I think she'll get a kick out of it. My 3-year-old has already informed me that he will not be eating them. After asking what they were at the grocery store and me telling him that they were baby cabbages his response was, "oh. I don't eat cabbage patch kids, mom."

Laura says:

I am 40 years old and I have never eaten a brussel sprout. I'm going to be brave and try your recipe.

MARY says:

OH MY WORD!! These were DIVINE!!! Thank for sharing. I’ll be making these OFTEN!

ACR says:

Made them, loved them (and so did my 7 yo) The hubby and 5 yo wouldn’t touch them…

Gloria Botts says:

If you put on just a little savory it is awesome! Savory is an old herb-not sure even what it is. My mom used summer savory and there is winter savory. I have not been able to find any labeled like that though. However, I did find just savory. It is that little extra that is perfect.

Ang says:

My mom hates Brussels sprouts and never made them for us, but this post convinced me to branch out and try them. They’ve gone into regular rotation – love them! – although I have to keep a few separate for my bizarre, seasoning-hating daughter (and because he copies everything she does, my son, too). She’ll eat them plain but prefers raw, of all things. :)

Laurie says:

These are now our favorite way to prepare brussel sprout! Delish in a foil pouch on the grill also! Thanks for sharing…

Megan Siana says:

I bought my first stalk of brussel sprouts and found your recipe to make them taste great! :) Thank you!

Jason says:

I added bacon and they were even more divine. Thanks for the recipe.

Holly W says:

I spotted fresh brussel sprouts at Costco so I picked some up knowing you had a recipe for them. I’d forgotten balsamic vinegar was involved and was a little concerned when I looked up the recipe since I’m not a fan. I’m so glad I did it your way anyway! Wow! They were so good. I kept snitching them from the cookie sheet as I was transferring them to a serving dish and they kept disappearing one by one! I ate the leftovers after dinner and am ready to make them again tonight! Thank you!

[...] garlic, salt, and pepper. Of course you can add more, but why mess with nature too much? We used this recipe, but roasted them a bit longer so they’d have a nice crispy outer [...]