Of all the foods I fell in love with in Brazil, Pao de Queijo (literally translated to ‘bread of cheese’, how can that not be delicious?) is right up there at the top.  And it’s been tormenting my soul for the past 10 years as I’ve tried recipe after recipe trying to duplicate the taste and texture I love.  You can buy pre-packaged mixes, but they’re not quite the same as homemade.  The problem is that there are several different methods to making these little balls of heaven.  A lot of them involve lots of hard to find ingredients, and methods like heating a mixture on the stove, kneading a big messy dough, etc.  When I was in Brazil, I learned how to make the most quick and easy version- an ultra fast liquid batter that you just poured into a muffin tin.  It’s been driving me crazy that I couldn’t find my recipe or one that was like it.  And then a few weeks ago something magical happened.  My husband walked in after organizing some junk in the garage and asked me if I wanted a little pink notebook.  I knew immediately what it was. It was bursting with little scraps of papers.  Scraps of papers with recipe notes on them.  I heard the hallelujah chorus.  We ate Pao de Queijo about 25 minutes later.  And it was heavenly.

If you’ve never had this type of Brazilian cheese bread, it’s tricky to explain.  It’s actually not “bread” at all- at least not like we’re used to here in the US.  It’s almost more like the texture of a cream puff shell or popover, but with more substance on the inside. The outside is slightly crisp and browned and the inside is airy and chewy.  If you’re not familiar with them at all then I want you to be fully informed so you don’t expect an actual yeast bread “roll”.  If you do, then you’ll probably think these are super weird and gooey.  They’re served at popular Brazilian restaurants, but honestly, while I adore those restaurants, I’ve yet to have a really good Pao de Queijo at any of them.  So trust me when I tell you that if you like those (or any of the pre-packaged mixes), you will probably love these homemade ones.  And if you know anyone who has ties to Brazil like I do, you are sure to melt their heart with these.  Once you see how quick and easy they are you’ll be making them all the time!

The best part is that I have 99% of the ingredients in my house pretty much at all times.

The only semi-strange ingredient in there is Tapioca Flour, and it’s actually easier to find than you might think.  It’s a really smooth, soft flour that feels much like cornstarch.  It’s made from the ground roots of the cassava plant and it’s gluten free for those of you that care about that :)

A lot of normal grocery stores carry a good selection of Bobs Red Mill products which is the brand I use.  Here in Idaho I can always find them at Fred Meyer, near the health food/specialty foods isle.  You can also find tapioca flour at Asian markets as it’s used in a lot of Asian cooking, and also at health food stores and places like Whole Foods where you can find a good selection of wheat flour alternatives.  Definitely check the gluten free isle of well stocked store.  If you live in an area with WINCO grocery stores, people are telling me you can find it in the bulk section (how did not know this??  Thank you readers!) You can’t substitute any other type of flour- the tapioca flour is key, so when you find a good place to buy it, stock up!

Okay, ready for easy?  You can prep these in about 60 seconds.  Seriously.  Put everything but the cheese in the blender and blend until smooth.

Then add in your cheese and pulse the blender one or two times.  I like to break it up a bit and mix it in, but not pulverize it. And you can be creative here.  I like a mixture of Parmesan and sharp cheddar.  It’s important to use cheese that has a stronger flavor because it’s really  the only flavor you’re putting in there and if it’s too mild I’ve found the rolls turn out pretty bland.   But play around with it and find your perfect mix.  You can also add more or less cheese, it’s pretty flexible.

Now just take your blender and pour the batter into little mini-muffin tins.  It’s a very thin batter so pour slowly!

I like to sprinkle a little more parmesan on top.  Because I like to sprinkle a little parmesan on top of just about everything.  I inherited that from my father, who puts parmesan on just about everything he makes. A little sprinkle of kosher salt is also yummy.

Recently I was browsing food blogs and was excited to see a nearly identical recipe on Bewitching Kitchen.  She mentioned putting rosemary in there, which at first I thought sounded a little strange.  Not because I don’t think it would taste good, but because I’d never had pao de queijo with any type of herb before.  I tried it just for kicks and man was it good!  You can either sprinkle a little dried or fresh rosemary on top, or blend it right in the batter.  Loved that addition.

Then you pop these babies in a hot oven and watch them do their magic.  They puff up into perfectly little bubbly golden balls of cheesy goodness.  How’s that for a descriptive sentence?

You want to cook them just until they’re set on top and barely golden.  If you over cook them, the tops actually look pretty similar, but you can tell by the bottoms.  Case in point:

And don’t be concerned if the rolls sink in the middle.  These photos are actually a bit misleading because I photographed them literally seconds after coming out of the oven. It’s perfectly normal for them to sink down in the centers and they taste exactly the same!

Eating Pao De Queijo warm is a definite must.   I’ll just say that right now.  As soon as they’re cool enough to handle, bust one open and eat it.

They’ll be a little crispy on the outside and soft, airy, and tender on the inside.  Almost a little chewy.  Some of them are even kind of hollow.  This version is definitely less dense than the kneaded dough variety.

I dare you to just eat one.  This recipe is a little dangerous.

If you’re a fan of Brazilian Food, you might enjoy these too!
Dessert Wontons (like Brazilian Pastel)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions says:

I just had the same thing happen to me. I made this out of this world cheesecake years ago and shortly thereafter misplaced the recipe. I have been trying to recreate that magical cheesecake for years (with no luck). And then I go visit my Mom today and pull out her recipe binder to look for a different recipe and low and be hold there is that cheesecake recipe (in my handwriting) that I have so desperately been searching for!

Anyways, these little rolls look and sound amazing! I have never had Pao de Queijo before and can't wait to make them!

VICKYFF says:

This looks awesome. Looking forward to everything.
    Scarves Scarves

Myrnie says:

This is brilliant! Anything that makes pao de queijo THAT easy is just magic :)

Myrnie says:

About how many will this make?

Dani Souza says:

We have pão de queijo for breakfast, snack time, dinner, anytime!! It's impossible to eat just one! I have a more difficult recipe but I'll definetly try yours. Isn't it interesting that you're teaching a Brazillian woman how to do it in an easier way? LOL!
    Hugs from Brazil!
    Danielle

Suzanne McDaniel says:

could I use regular flour for this? We are in a small town in Costa Rica and whole wheat flour is an exotic thing here LOL

Mariana Gamez says:

Hi Suzzanne, I’m not Sara, but I just saw your comment and couldn’t help but answer it! You can’t substitute with normal flour, or any other kind of flour for that matter. I am from Brazil and have lived in many south/central american countries. You should try to see if they have local “Harina de Yuca” or “Almidon de Yuca” or “Harina de Casaba”. These are all spanish names for Tapioca Starch. Just make sure it is the white, powdery kind (that looks just like corn starch), and not the toasted brownish colored one. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Linda says:

I'm super excited to try this out. This is one of my very favorite foods ever. I usually just use the mix from the Asian store but these look even better. Thanks!

Dani says:

Sara – you're my hero. I shouted for joy this morning, seeing this recipe on my reader!

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} says:

Sara,
    I eat about 40 cheese balls when I go to Brazilian restaurants. I happen to live in a heavy populated Brazilian area so these are served all the time at parties. I've gotten the recipe from the Brazilian ladies but it calls for all types of ingredients that I can never find so I gave up. Thanks for this recipe. They say if you use Costco cheese it makes for spongier balls than the regular grocery store cheese.

Carolyn says:

YAY! I love these things! Can't wait to make them.

leslie the licorice stick lady says:

Oh my goodness!!!! I can't tell you how glad I am that you posted this recipe! Last year I hunted and hunted for the Tapioca flour because my husband served his mission in Brazil and I wanted to make a special Brazilian dinner for him on valentines day. One of his favorite things from Brazil was Pao de Qeujio. I finally just ended up using cornstarch for a substitute and they turned out fine, but didn't rise much. He still loved that I went to the effort to try. I am so glad I now know where and what brand to look for. Thanks!!!! (BTW I made your Brazilian Lemonade for that dinner also, and everyone loved it!)

Brandy K says:

Wow! I am so excited about making these! I have tapioca flour in my pantry! My hubs eats gluten-free, so this is perfect! Thank you, thank you!!

Ali says:

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! Now I don't have to buy the ridiculously expensive box of pre-packaged mix that makes 12 mini balls. Thank you SO MUCH!

bewitchingkitchen.com says:

THanks for the link to the Bewitching!

This recipe has been a favorite in our home for a long, long time

I am so glad I found your blog, it's bookmarked and I'll be indulging in some reading this weekend!

Sarah says:

Can't wait to try this recipe. We've made these the old-fashioned way, and are always too busy cleaning up to eat them fresh out of the oven. This sounds like the perfect solution.

~ B. says:

Mmmm! That's how we make ours too! Though I can't find the tapioca flour at my grocery store anymore. :( So I haven't been able to make these for a while. Que saudades!

Myrnie- sorry I forgot the yield, I just added it! It makes anywhere from 16-24, depending on how full you fill your muffin pan. I fill mine pretty full (a good 3/4 full) and I generally get 16-18.

dani- hugs TO Brazil! You'll have to try it out and see what you think!

Suzanne- nope, sorry, the tapioca flour is a must.

Christy- thanks for the cheese tip!

Leslie- you'll have to do a V-day re-do (and maybe you'll get more chocolates and flowers out of it? haha)

Lacey says:

These look absolutely delish!

I have a teensy posting suggestion. I know a friend of mine that reads your blog and she has to eat a gluten free diet. My suggestion would be to maybe put it in parentheses in the title, or somewhere at the first part of the post, that these are indeed gluten free. She loves this kind of stuff, and her hubs actually served his mish in Brazil and would love a taste of it at home, but she might otherwise not give much consideration to reading as far down into the recipe to find the gem that it is gluten free! Did I just make that clear as mud?

Ben, Rebecca, Natali, & Isaac says:

I just did a happy dance in my front room! I love these little gems of carbs & cheese. Did you ever eat at Tucano's in Provo or SLC? I'm guessing they are similar (but more likely better) than the "cheese balls" they serve there. I am so happy right now, just made my day! Can't wait to whip up my first batch of MANY!

Diamond says:

We LOVE Pao de Queijo! We have bought the Chebe mix, but thought it was silly to spend that much money on a mix and STILL have to add all the cheese.
    I have had a number of recipes bookmarked to try for this, but haven't. I will try yours first/today. Have you ever tried to make bread sticks or flat bread/crusts with yours?
    We are a gluten free family and always have a stash of tapioca flour/starch. We get ours from the Asian Market.

Laurie says:

These sound amazing! Guess what hubby is getting with dinner tonight?!!

Kim says:

My husband served a mission in Curitiba, Brazil. I know I will have to make these for him. He LOVES them and talks about them all the time. Thanks for the recipe! He also talks about these mini french bread type of rolls that they would hollow out and stuff with meat and eat as they walked. You don't happen to have recipe for that do you?

Sims Family says:

Thanks for posting this! I went on my mission to Recife and miss Brazilian food. Every once in a while I make something tasty to remind me of the old days, but it's been a while! This will make it's debut soon!

Kim- I went to Curitiba too! Ask your hubby what those are called. He could be talking about coxinhas, or pastel, or something entirely different, but I might have a recipe for ya!

Such a great recipe! Thanks. And I do love the ones at Tucanos and Rodizio, so I imagine these will be all the better!!!

HAH says:

I am SO trying these this weekend!

LdyBry says:

I so want to try these rolls…

I wanted to let you know I got my cookbook Wednesday, I've been looking thru it ever since and it has been REALLY difficult trying to decide what to make first.

I've made your chicken cacciatore before and I've gotta say it was AWESOME!

Jenn Hickok says:

I was entirely planning to go to the fabric store and find a pattern tonight, I guess I'm changing my plan and searching for tapioca flour. Wish me luck these sound incredible!

Charles says:

Sara, Do you have to use mini tins? I only have regular sized muffin tins. Will that work? If so how should I adjust temp or cook time. thanks!

LollyChops says:

I have had these before and they are the most amazing treats ever! I am seriously going to be making these this weekend! Thanks SO much for the recipe and tips!

XOs!

Diamond- this is a liquid batter, so breadsticks won't work!

Charles- you could use a regular muffin pan, they'll just be bigger. Keep the oven temp the same and keep an eye on them. They might just take a few extra minutes to bake.

Paige says:

We have actually made these from a mix that we find at Many Lands foods. But I would like to try them on my own and not from the mix. they are SO yummy!

The Double Dipped Life says:

A Brazilian neighbor makes these for us, but hers are round. Also, she says that it's tradition to smash them with your fist before eating. Don't know why… :)

jussara@btopenworld.com says:

Hi The Double Dipped Life,
      My name is Jussara and I am Brazilian. Just to explain that we have two types of this cheese bread: This recipe that is the easier version to make, using the blender and the dough is more liquid;
      and the original one that is not so liquid and you need to use your hand to make and looks more like/and a similar process of the bread dough. This is the one that your neighbour does.

RobandNat says:

hooray!! I also served a mission in Brazil and have been unable to duplicate pao de queijo since returning to the states. THANK YOU!

Patti says:

*writes tapioca flour on grocery list

This is definitely going to the top of my 'things to bake when my new oven gets here' list! (that list is getting mighty long!)

Erin says:

First of all, I need a mini muffin tin. Second these look great. I know a lot of people who would appreciate this recipe and third, I'm still waiting for a recipe for feijoada.

Geneve says:

You are the BEST! I love these at the Brazilian restaurants, and I cannot wait to try them. And I am temporarily on a gluten-free diet, which takes out so many good things, so it will be so wonderful to have something so fun to eat! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Kim says:

Sara, you totally rock! My husband says the rolls were called pao frances. But he wants me to ask for a recipe for coxinhas too. That would be amazing! Seriously, between these bread recipes and your creamy cheesecake recipe, my husband loves you guys as much as I do! Thanks!
    -Kim
    nksmithfamily@gmail.com

Shan says:

Oh my! I am so excited. I love Pao de Queijo, my favorite thing from Brazil. I remember buying huge ones from the bakeries in Brazil. mmmmm.

Kim says:

Oh, man you are probably sick of me! My husband is wondering if you have a good churrasco recipe. You may just need to dedicate an entire section to the food of Curitiba! Thanks again!
    -Kim
    nksmithfamily@gmail.com

Meaghan Luby says:

this recipe looks phenomenal! yum to the maximus! thanks so much for sharing!!!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

Claire Soleto says:

I live in Bolivia and love the cheesy bread they call cuñapes. They are very similar. Just mix tapioca flour with butter, a little sugar, and the cheese. Add milk until it forms a stiff batter that you can knead, or just take chunks of it, roll them into a ball and bake for a few minutes. They´re yummy!

Steph says:

I am really excited about this recipe. My brother is serving an lds missionin brazil right now so we always love trying Brazilian recipes (more please:). I have used a similar recipe before http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_brazilian_cheese_bread/
    But I'm looking forward to using you recipe and tips. I have been getting tapioca flour in the bulk section at winco.

Suzanne McDaniel says:

@Sara. Thanks :) Maybe I can find some when we go to San Jose next week. They have some big stores there. That's what I miss most about the states.. the availability of different ingredients!

The Barker's says:

Thank you so much for a new gluten free bread recipe…I have been in such a rut, and getting really tired of tortilla chips! This looks amazing, I will be baking it tonight!

So Domesticated says:

These look amazing!

Amy says:

Oh my goodness! My husband served in Brazil and we went back a few years later and I absolutely fell in love with these rolls. We ate them everyday. I thought there was no way I could ever make them but now thanks to OBB I can! I am so excited, I think I will go to the store right now. :)

Gretchen says:

Thank you for this great recipe! We have a "Cheese Roll Store" that sells just these rolls and flan – that is it. They charge 50 cents a roll and that is well worth it! Just to let you know, though, they have different flavors – chopped black olives or finely chopped hot peppers or onions/garlic. They are ALL good!

Myrnie says:

Thanks, Sara- I needed to know how many mini muffin tins I'll have to borrow to make a batch :) (My husband ate the little french breads all the time, too, like Kim's husband…they were about a dollar, and made a super easy breakfast :)

Jenn says:

holy goodness! they look delicious and is it weird when I say I can almost smell them through my monitor?! ;) LOL!

can't wait to try them!

Staci says:

my husband served a mission in brazil and LOVES these! i think i might just have to surprise him with a batch when he gets home from work! i'd love to get more Brazilian recipes-like main dishes! so delicious!

The Crace's says:

My husband will be SO happy! Thank you, thank you for posting this recipe!

Quinn and Suzanne says:

I just made your black bean soup for my family for lunch (which, by the way, even my picky toddler loves)! I'm definitely going to whip some of these babies up to eat with the leftovers! Thanks!

littlebitty says:

These look amazing!

My blender just died…do you think they would blend up ok in a Cuisinart food processor?

Valerie

valorie- a food processor is just fine, or you can even mix it by hand. The blender is just quick and easy!

D.I.M. Incorporated says:

Yum!Can't wait to try these!

Lisa says:

I love to check out this blog but, after my daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease(eats gluten free)I almost get a little sad when I check out my favorite foodie blogs. It was so fun to see a gluten free post. Breads are super hard gluten free, I'm excited to try out a recipe that's good.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this recipe. These are one of my absolute favorite Brazilian foods but after looking at other recipes I never dared to attempt them. I cannot wait to pop one (or all) of these babies into my mouth!

Anna says:

CHEESY POOFS! Oh my goats!!! Weren't you people supposed to be posting healthy stuff? *faints*

The Campbell Clan says:

Okay, it is official, you are the best! I LOVE Pao de queijo! I served in Minais where it was born in Brazil and miss it terribly. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. It has been a while since I have tried to make it and I am delighted to have your recipe since they are ALWAYS bom de mais! Obrigada!

Lori says:

I am new to this website and think it is awesome!!! I was introduced to it by a friend who always has awesome ideas and snacks for the gatherings we have. I would LOVE to have a cookbook by you gals! I suffer from lack of creativity all the time atleast this way i would have a resouce to jumpstart my creativity! Thanks for your sight its awesome! I am a google follower

Chantelle says:

Yay! I always eat way too many of these at Tucanos. I'm excited to try this at home!

Amy @DYKTMP? says:

I love Brazilian food, love! And its a recipe in a muffin pan. I SWOON!

Shea Petersen says:

I've been wanting this recipe! Thank you

Yo' Mama says:

Bles you! Bless you! Bless you!!! I cannot wait to make these for our family!!!!

Chels says:

Those look amazing and I think I'll have to look for the Tapioca Flour next time I'm at Freddy's :)

I Know Toni says:

I made these tonight (my family is 1/2 gluten free and I'm always looking for recipes). My problem? The tops fell in. Does this mean I didn't cook them enough? Or too much???

jussara@btopenworld.com says:

One of the reasons that the top falls is:
      1- if you open the oven before the time that is ready, making the oven loss the right temperature. so do not open before 15 minutes:
      2- we usually use oven on 180ºC, But if you set higher than 200ºC the bread is going to quickly looks like ready on the outside but is not ready inside, so when you take it out the top is going to fall.
      - to avoid that you can turn off the oven but leave them inside for a little longer to be able to cook inside.

OHHHHH, I can't wait to try these! Definitely one of my favorite Brazilian food and I never knew they could be so easy to make. Yea! :) Also, thank you for unintentionally explaining to me why Kathryn always has to have Parmesan cheese on top of her cottage cheese. I never knew that about your dad, but it must be in her blood :)

Toni-Sometimes the tops do fall in and I have no idea why. For me they taste the same either way so I don't worry about it! If they are under-cooked they're just a little gooey inside. I hope you enjoyed them anyway!

jussara@btopenworld.com says:

One of the reasons that the top falls is:

Suzanne says:

YEAH!! Thank you for a gluten free recipe. I have missed cheese breads so much. Can't wait to whip up a batch of these this weekend.

superstitches says:

Yah, gluten free. I can hardly wait to try these.

Anna says:

Fallen tops may be from over-blending or the oven being a bit too hot. :)

Julene says:

These look so easy and yummy–I'm excited to try them. They sound like they are good enough that you might be tempted to just snarf them down and call it good for the meal, but I was wondering if you could recommend what you like to serve them with. Thanks!

penniesonaplatter.com says:

Wow! I've had the ones at the Brazilian restaurants here and love those. If you're saying these are even better, I can't wait to make them! Thank you!

astheroshe says:

I have made these before..and they are awesome! I love how you baked them in a muffin tin! I do not know why i never thought of it :/. mine always look like blobs and are not very pretty! Thanks for sharing :)

Sydney says:

My husband also lived in Brazil and loves these! I can't wait to make them for him! Thank you for the recipe.

I picked up my copy of your cookbook at Costco yesterday and once I put the kids to bed, I snuggled on my bed and flipped page by page. It was truly, the best part of my day! I sure hope you're working on the second edition.

kim says:

Sarah! Guess where I found povillho doce? Winco! Don't know if you have one in Idaho, but they just got one by my house and they have it in the bulk section for cheap! I have the recipe that doesn't require the muffin tin, if you are ever looking :) kbyama@gmail.com

Emme says:

These look delicious and they are gluten free without adapting it! That made my morning!! Now to find time to make them…

cutekittypunk says:

gosh, 81 comments so far… i didn't read through all the comments, so I don't know if it's been asked, but if I don't use tapioca flour – if i wan to use regular all-purpose flour – can I use the same amount? what is the rule there?

thanks for the recipe – they look so yummy!

cutekittypunk- the rule is you can't :) I mentioned in the post a few times that the tapioca flour is key- sorry but no subs!

kelly says:

my BIL and SIL just moved to brazil, i am sure they will enjoy all sorts of brazilian food. i want to try these,i do eat gluten free and love anything new to try! thanks and can't wait to get your cookbook!

Chaviva says:

The gluten-free me makes me SO HAPPY that you guys posted this :) THANK YOU!

Toni Jones says:

am i the only person who made these and hated them? Maybe i'm just being picky but they tasted gross to me. And i mean that in no offense whatsoever because i loved every other recipe you guys share! I know it's not supposed to taste like bread that i'm used to, but these were just plain old yuck and too gooey yet spongey at the same time. What could i have done wrong?

Toni, that's why I warned you they weren't actually "bread". I'm assuming you've never had these before! If you haven't, then it's quite surprising- and for some, an acquired taste.

Mike and Kimmy says:

We are so excited to try to try this recipe! My hubs served in Belo Horizonte. He's stoked about eating these. He's loves them, and I can't wait to try them. Just wondering, did you ever eat Reiqeijao with the Pao de Queijo? Do you know of a recipe for it? Love your blog!

The Fabulous Ms Amy says:

OMG! I've been looking for a recipe like this for forever! The Brazilian Steakhouse that we love (and can't afford to go to enough) serves something like this and OMG….YAY! Can't wait to make them. :)

Jim and Kim says:

I have been searching for a good recipe for these – I loved them at the Brazilian BBQ restaurant my hubby and I went to in Houston. These tasted great – but mine stuck to the pan. We had to pry them out. They weren't burnt -just stuck. Any idea what the problem might be? I sprayed my pan with Pam…. Maybe my Tapioca Starch was a bit old?? I have been trying different recipes for a while…so the flour was a couple years old. I'll definitely make them again though!

Julie says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! My husband served in Brazil and has been dying for me to learn how to make the beloved pao de queijo. I think this recipe will make an already great marriage even better!

Sally says:

Thank you thank you thank you!

Nathaly says:

Marcelo thanks you for these! Thanks to Diego, I already had tapioca flour in the house, so I made them the same day you posted the recipe. They were so easy and so good! They're very similar to a Colombian bread called Pandebono. Thanks!!

Lisa says:

Neat, I fell in love with pao de queijo when I served my mission in Brazil too. They're so addicting. I've been wondering forever what cheese to substitute for the queijo de minas and I'll have to give your combo a try.

Katie {choc0holic} says:

I can see I'm not at all alone in loving pao de queijo. I served part of my time in Minas and became quite the 'pae de queijo snob'. I'm eager to try this recipe out as it is so different from how I made it while there. I would love to have a little pao de queijo along with our regular beans and rice! Thanks for sharing!

kateykix says:

What is the best way to reheat these if I make them ahead of time?

jussara@btopenworld.com says:

Hi,
      They can hold a little longer like 3 days if you keep it in a closed container or a plastic bag – take most of the air and close well.
      they tend to became hard because of the cheese, but if it is a little hard you can try to use just a bit of the microwave on defrost, but the ideal is fresh.
      the other alternative is you to do the traditional
      cheese bread that can be frozen and be cooked whenever you want between 3 months straight from frozen.

kateykix- These actually don't re-heat well so I recommend making and eating fresh.

passionfruitprincess says:

Hi!
    I am Brazilian and I love p~ao de queijo! My husband and I served our lds missions in Brazil.Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have other one, but I will try yours!
    Ana Paula http://passionfruitprincess.blogspot.com/

cutekittypunk says:

Well, i'm just gonna have to try another sub b/c honestly, where in the netherlands would one buy tapiocameel? i know that's what's called here… ok… i'll try the health food store, but if they don't have it… i'm subbing!

The Hojnackes says:

My brother served his mission in Brazil, so I made these for him while he was here this weekend. He said they tasted just like the ones he had there! Everyone else loved them too.

mandie says:

I have a great recipe for Quejidinas (sp) another Brazilian treat–delish!!

lemme know if you want

mandiewhite@hotmail.com

Brianne says:

I served my mission in brazil and love pao de queijo. Where did you girls find this recipe?!? THanks so much!!!! Did one of your hubbies serve there?! or one of you yourselves?! yay for brazilian food! LOVE IT!

Jesus Followers says:

Delicious….top notch

Jesus Followers says:

Delicious…top notch.. and so very easy to prepare.

kateykix says:

thanks sara! i finally made these tonight but mine all had holes in the bottom. :/ did i do something wrong?

not necessarily Katey. They're so airy that sometimes they'll do that!

Adrienne says:

Made these for dinner today. They were divine! and a hit with the family….and a hit with me (SO easy) Thank You!!

These were absolutely delicious!! There was tons of cheesy taste for relatively little cheese. And so quick to throw together. We had them with soup from the crockpot and it was a perfect dinner. For those who are wondering about the texture, they are almost identical to Yorkshire puddings – but a lot less work and without all that grease!

Lucas Manuel says:

Hey Sara! Your "pães de queijo" seems to be really good!
    Congrats for them! ;)
    I'm a brazilian guy who was born in the land of pao de queijos, Minas Gerais state – btw, you need to taste the true "pão de queijo mineiro";) I have some friends who always ask me for a recipe of it, but for they living in Europe, they have some difficults to find the "polvilho", or tapioca flour. I would like to know what kind of tapioca starch you used so that I can tell them. Ah! I can share with another recipe if you want – the original one ;) I love cooking as well! lol
    Take care!

Jonathan Sanchez says:

Lucas i would love your recipe! ive made these before with a diff recipe and i love them because tehy are dense but more work. I made ones like these that were more of a puff but they had very little taste and i added a TON of cheese too. I would love a true brazilian recipe :)

Blessed To The Fullest says:

We made this today.. LOVE them! I absolutely love the crispness of the bread, and how light and fluffy it is. I've been trying for years to make my own bread, but every time I make it- it turns out WAY to dense. So can I omit the cheese from this recipe and use this to make an entire loaf of bread?

The Taintor Family says:

A good place to get cheap tapioca flour is Asian markets.

Cavie Family says:

Just made these – DIVINE!! I went to 4 stores looking for the tapioca flour. I found it at a health food store. I will be dreaming about these tonight!

Natasha says:

I don’t have a blender, so I’m going to try just mixing them by hand, but I want to make these soon!

Megan says:

I saved this recipe when you posted it and moved this past week. One of the first things I did after moving was go to the grocery store to purchase Tapioca flour. These are being served at dinner tonight along with split pea soup. I’m very excited to make/serve these. They look fabulous!

Kimberly says:

These look so delish! Should I really use a mini muffin tin? They look like regular size muffins??? Or do they just come out bigger looking in the pictures?

Jessica H says:

My husband served his mission in Manaus, Brazil, and he LOVES these! We’ve bought a couple of mixes from ethnic food companies before but he was never really satisfied with them. So I was sooo excited when you posted this recipe! I was fairly jumping up and down I was so thrilled! And my husband loves them. He was a very grateful hubby that night and I was a very happy wifey! ;) We love to make Brazilian foods around here and this is so perfect. Thank you, thank you!
    {if you ever have any other Brazilian recipes to share, I’m sure my hubby would ever grateful! ;) }

Theresa says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! We made them on Sunday – they came out PERFECT and we all ate way too many!! Can’t wait to make them again!

Anita says:

Great recipe! I’m allergic to gluten and I’ve had a bag of tapioca flour in my cabinet for awhile, so this was perfect! Thanks again!

Those look so light and fluffy and good!

Leigh says:

These look so good! Great idea to bake them in a mini muffin tin. My husband served a mission in Brazil and I’ve been trying to re-create his memory of Brazilian Stroganoff…with chicken, a red tomato-based sauce, and shoestring fried potatoes on top. Served over rice. Please tell me you have the perfect recipe in your little pink notebook…and perhaps you can share it on your blog? :)

I’ve had so many requests for Brazilian Stroganoff Leigh. My problem is getting a really good result without the signature ingredient (cream!) for caloric reasons. I’m working on it!

Su Rodriguez says:

I never knew what these were called, i love them thank you so much. I remember having them about 20 years ago and been trying to make them. I need to find the flour. thank you again.

Loni says:

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I served in Belo Horizonte and these yummy treats, and coxinhas, are the foods I miss the most. Do you have a recipe for coxinhas? ’cause I would LOVE to find one!

Heidi says:

THESE ARE SCRUMPTIOUS!! A NEW HIT AT OUR HOUSE!!

Bailey says:

We made these…used some Guuyere instead of Mozzarella. They were really really great.

Bailey says:

I missed the linked comment to here, sorry. These were really great. My wife made these and they were excellent. We just subbed Gryuere for Parmesan. You can kill my previous comment, because I am an idiot.

Cindi says:

I made these and they turned out perfect….and delicious!

I’m making them again tomorrow for a friend that I am taking dinner to. She has to eat gluten free, and these will be perfect to go along with the dinner!

stephanie says:

can i use fat free milk? what about sandwich cheese if i dice it up? or string cheese?..yes i don’t usually have much “good” cheese at my house.

Yes you can use fat free milk. As for the cheese- no, I wouldn’t use string cheese or sandwich cheese. Just normal cheddar works great!

Terri says:

Thanks so much for this recipe! Absolutely love it! I have to eat gluten free and have now made these twice. Even hubby and 2 sons love them. I’m going to try and convert some of your other recipes to gluten free…I’ll let you know how I go. I live in Sydney, Australia and tapioca flour is easy to get here.

Michelle says:

LOVE THIS RECIPE. I found a similar recipe a few months back because I had a craving….so I went on the hunt. I have made them several times since and they go quickly. Everyone always LOVES them and they are super easy. Instead of chedder I use Queso Fresco (mexican cheese) and its delish! I coudn’t find Queso Fresco at a specialty or health food store but I have found it at King Soopers and Albertsons.

michelle says:

I wish I could hug you! I have a gluten-intolerance so I can’t eat those delightful cheese-breads at Tucanos. I already have tapioca flour on hand so I will be making these tonight.

THANK YOU sooooo much for sharing this recipe.

michelle says:

I made it tonight! They are fantastic!

Whitney says:

Turned out great!!! Thank you!

Jill says:

Amazing! I am married to a Brasilian and we both agreed these were delicious and authentic! Yum!

Erin says:

Love these! As a fellow girls with Brazilian ties, my other addiction from Brazil is catupiry (com frango pizza–YUM!!) After much searching and many failed attempts, I found a substitution that is close enough to satisfy a craving I thought I’d share: melt equal parts meunster cheese and cream cheese together over low heat. When it cools, I slice it on pizza, in coxinha… delish!

ooh, great tip about the Catupiry! I usually use straight cream cheese in my coxinhas, I’ll have to try that!

Suzie Paul says:

I’m so happy to find this recipe. My husband served his mission in Brazil too & these are his favorite! I found tapioca flour in the bulk section at Winco for $1.48/lb, I can’t wait to surprise him tonight with your brazillian black beans, rice & these rolls!

Moonbeam says:

These are so awesome! They are very similar to the ones I’ve had at a Brazilian steak house. Very easy to throw together!

Ashley says:

I have never tried or heard of pao de quiejo before, but the simplicity and uniqueness intrigued me…wow! So light, fluffy, spongy, and delicious, but not too strong in flavor… I took the few that were left over to work and popped them in the microwave for about 5 seconds, they were good, but not as good as they were when they were fresh out of the oven. I can’t wait to make these again for a tapas-themed potluck tonight :-)

Amiee says:

These things are soooo easy and so yummy! I’ve already made a bunch of variations of them (toppings) and they are soooo good! THANKS!!!!!!! I am from Louisiana but live in Utah now, and I love your blog! I love food blogging and have my own as well! So fun! Congrats on all your success!

I’m neither LDS nor have I have been to Brazil but these rocked my socks!!!! I made them last night and they were a hit!! I think I underbaked them in fear of overbaking but they were still some cheesy goodness! I followed your recipe to a T and did not deviate with cheese selection. I will admit I’m a sharp cheddar fan over parmesan so I sprinkled half with cheddar and the other half with parmesan and believe it or not the parmesan ones won my affection the most!

Thanks for your most fabulous recipes!!!!!

K. Rock says:

Made these tonight and the family loved them. I did kind of have a hell of a time trying to find the flour though. But it was worth it. Thanks!

Miriam says:

Just made these for the second time and we love them! I just wanted to mention that in Australia I use Arrowroot which says it is interchangeable with tapioca. I found it right next to the baking powder. Maybe that will help those who can’t find the Tapioca. It sure turns out great!

Rose says:

We tried this recipe and we were not disappointed disappointed! By we I mean my husband did the cooking and I did the shopping. The bread was soft and light and must admit better than the ones I had at a brazilian bbq restaurant which introduced me to these great cheese rolls. These will definitely be part of our recipe collection

Miriam says:

Bless you for this! My Brazilian friend gave me the best recipe for Pao De Queijo which I have made but it is so hard! And it the ingredients are a lot more expensive than this one! (like a cup of feta along with all the other cheese!) Anyway, this one looks great! And seems much faster! My husband will be thrilled! Now I have one more reason to by a mini muffin tin, which I want to much!

Shana says:

My Brazilian husband loved these!!! I have made them before, but they always took a while to mix up and roll out by hand. Love the quick way and they taste awesome! Going to make some of your other brazilian recipes tonight! Thanks!

Jenny says:

If you don’t have the skill or time to make pão de queijo from scratch you can buy the ready mix at http://www.amigofoods.com/paodequeijo.html

Katie Roundy says:

L O V E this bread! My husband went to Brazil on his mission too and we have been making this ever since I found the recipe. THANKS!

Ana says:

I tried the recipe you shared for pao de quiejo up above because I had such a craving for them. So easy and quick too. Tasted delicious! Just wanted to say thank you for sharing and making my day with as little as yummy Brazilian bread! CHEERS!!!

Heather Talley says:

What do you serve these with when you make them for dinner?

We love them with rice and black beans (the Quick and Easy Black Beans on this site) and any type of grilled meat; that’s a pretty classic Brazilian meal. Also the Black Bean Soup is a fave!

• Heather Talley says:

Oh good! I made them with the quick and easy black beans, cilantro-lime rice and the taco chicken. Once the weather cools down, I will have to try them with the soup! I also made the rolls in a regular muffin tin (don’t have a mini one), do they cook more evenly in the mini muffins tin? I think mine were a bit overdone on the outside but possibly undercooked inside…still yummy though! Thanks for another great recipe!!!

• I’ve tried them both ways and they definitely work better in the mini muffin pan, so give that a shot!

• Heather Talley says:

Where did you get your mini muffin pan? I have looked in several stores and cant find one anywhere!

• Heather Talley says:

Just saw your response to another comment, I will try and look at the store again, thanks!

Serena says:

I made this last weekend. I used a combination of gruyere and pecorino romano, soooo good. I used butter instead of oil, not sure if that made any difference in flavor.

Janae says:

Saddest story ever. The first 2 times I made these they turned out perfect! Delicious and round and yummy. The next 3 times they completely flopped!!! They all sunk and came out gooey-chewy and a big on the greasier side, with or without Pam. I tried 2 different ovens and 2 different pans and I have yet to accomplish that same first delicious result. Any ideas anyone?!

katee says:

YES! I always have a big brazilian feast for my husband (who lived in Brazil for 2 years) in December. These will be a wonderful addition!

Firecat Maren says:

Hoorah! I love you for posting this recipe! I am like you and had a notebook of recipes or notes on how to make all the delicious Brazilian bites from the time I spent in Brazil…but unlike you I was never able to find mine!

Thank you so very much for sharing this! I cheered for joy when I saw this recipe (I think my husband thinks I’m nuts…at least he will until I make these bad boys for him)!

I am grabing my keys and am heading to the market to find tapicoa flour, we will be enjoying pao de queijo shortly!

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

Martha Waite says:

I have been looking for a good recipe for tapioca Flour to put on our website and came across this one. I have tried it several times and my family loves them too.

Would you be willing for us to add this recipe to our web site. I am willing for you to word it to your specifications and add your name – how ever you want to. I really need a good recipe to put with our Shiloh Farms tapioca flour. Even cooking with Issac’s is recommending for our flour to be used in their cookbook.

I am looking forward to your comments and pray you will find us acceptable. Thank you so much for considering us.

Heather Talley says:

Where did you find the mini muffin tin? I have looked at several stores, including Target and Bed Bath & Beyond…no one has these! I tried in a regular muffin tin and I don’t think they are turning out quite right…

Target and Bed Bath and Beyond definitely carry them, I’m positive! They shouldn’t be hard to find, so maybe ask a store employee?

• Heather Talley says:

I think my stores are just stupid (my husband and I spent at least 15 in Bed Bath & Beyond looking, you would think it would be easy to find there)…but I will try again, thanks!

Hillary says:

My husband’s favorite thing about going to restaurants is the bread they bring you before the meal-he LOVES this stuff! Well unfortunately, about a year and a half ago he was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and that pretty much put an end to that obsession. Most of the rolls we’ve tried that are gluten free are dry, mealy, and just not good. Well, my sister-in-law cooked these babies up for us last weekend and my hubby was in HEAVEN!!! I swear he ate about 20 of them during dinner-the rest of the meal was good too but I don’t think he noticed much else other than these rolls. They were amazing and the texture was great! Thank you so much for sharing this one, it’s going to become a regular at our home!

Amy Hanson says:

YAY! I served in Brazil and I have been craving these since I came home. I am beyond excited to try them. Thanks! :)
    Just a question… can you use the pre-grated Parmesan cheese? I have a big container of it but I just wonder if that melts as good?

You know, you probably could Amy. Normally I don’t recommend the pre-shredded because as you mentioned it doesn’t melt very well, but I think here, especially since you’ll pulse it in your blender, it would be just fine.

Laura says:

Hey! I made these tonight for a brazilian dinner, and they were awesome! It is a fantastic recipe. I love how easy it is, and it produced excellent results. It is way better than using the Yoki mix, and just as easy, if not easier. I just wanted to thank you for sharing.

Emmy says:

Just made these, they are absolutely delicious BUT! They all stuck to the pan, and it took me 15 minutes and a lot of cursing to get them out. Any tips? Do I need to spray PAM on the tins before pouring in the batter? But thanks for the tasty and SUPER easy recipe! It was still worth the struggle…

Oh no! You must not have a very non-stick, non-stick pan, lol. Yes, I would definitely spray or butter the muffin wells next time. If you have a good non-stick pan they should pop right out without a problem.

• Joni Nemeth says:

Also, after making this recipe many times successfully, and then getting a new oven and them consistently flopping, I’ve learned that they stick when they aren’t cooked long enough. Try cooking them a little longer, and they come out much easier.

Allison says:

Oh my goodness. Will you please be my best friend? I have been looking for this recipe for YEARS. I can’t wait to try your version, they look heavenly. Thank you for sharing!!!!

Ann Marie says:

You have just made my day! Do you even read 101 comments when you posted this back in Feb. Doubt it, but just want to say THANK YOU! I’m so excited to try it. I served in Brazil and had a profound love for Pao de Queijo. In fact, I’m pretty sure we were in the CTM together. (Nov. 2000 -ish). My name was Sister McConkie back then.
    Anyway, thanks. I’ve tried a few things over the past couple years but it’s never been the same.

Diane says:

Thanks for this easier recipe. I have friends from Brazil who made these for me (and got me addicted), but they used a flour mix from a Brazillian market. I haven’t been able to find one near me. But I eat gluten-free, so these became my gluten-free grilled cheese sandwiches! I make up a huge batch, then roll them into doughballs (I think their recipe might be thicker, more cheese I think?). Then I arrange the balls on a cookie sheet or cutting board, and freeze them. Once they are frozen, I put them in a huge Ziplock bag to keep in the freezer. Then for lunches, I pull out 2 or 3 (or 4 or 5…) and pop them in a toaster oven for about 20 minutes or so at 350ish. They are so cheesy and crunchy!

Rhonda says:

We have a Paraguayan recipe for chipa that’s similar, but the batter isn’t a liquid and it has anise. My husband grew up in Paraguay where his parents were missionaries.
    2 lbs. Tapioca starch
    3 ½ sticks of unsalted butter softened to room temp.
    1 ½ oz. anise
    1 Tbsp. salt
    7-8 eggs
    4 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix softened butter and tapioca starch until all of the starch is combined with the butter. Add anise and salt and mix. Combine cheese with mixture. Add eggs last. Start with 7 and add the eighth if the mixture is too dry. Make small, flattened loaves and cook at 350 for about 20-25 min. depending on the oven. The loaves should be brown on the bottom and firm on the top. They should be soft/slightly doughy in the middle.
    This recipe could be halved.

Teeza says:

Hi thanks for sharing this looks great! My coworker brought some in from a local bakery and I never though it would be this easy to make… I featured the recipe on my “guilty pleasures” post and of course gave you full credit :) teezaknows.wordpress.com

Sheyann says:

Any chance you can grind pearl tapioca and have it work?

Paula says:

These look like a tasty addition to a soup or salad. Easy to prepare too. I’m looking forward to trying these.

Rochelle Anderson says:

THANK YOU – THANK YOU. My family was all diagnosed with Celiac (yes, right during the Christmas Holidays – I went into Gluten Free melt down). It is great to have these GLUTEN FREE recipes and since my sister married a Brazilian, we have loved Pao De Queijo – had no idea they were gluten free. It is so fun to find “doughy” food that we can eat!!

Sandy says:

Yumm! I can’t wait to try these! :)

Greco family says:

I just cried a little when I saw this recipe! Every now and then I dream about these little breads and never could find my own recipe from when I was in Brazil. Thank you thank you thank you!! You have taken me back 10 years to another time and place. Obrigada!

valerie says:

From a Brasileira living in the US, if it tastes as good as the real ones, you will have a thanks from the bottom of my heart :)

Chantel Giblette says:

Thank you for posting this! My hubby and I love these and I was so excited to try your recipe. i made them last night for New Years and they were perfect! My family devoured the whole batch in minutes, and I had to make another batch when my in laws arrived. (Those vanished too.) Thanks so much! I see many Brazilian dinners in our future. :)

Carly says:

We just made these not too long ago and they were a big hit. I served them with a spicy black bean soup. Yum! My husband and his buddy, both returned missionaries from Brazil, were thrilled with how “right on” they were.

Lindsay says:

My husband is from Brazil and very much misses the little things that remind him of home. I have tried so many different recepies for this wonderful Brazilian bread:) These were SO easy to make and turned out awesome!! One bite and my husband had a huge smile on his face…these will now be a staple in our house. Thank you so much!

Kelly says:

This is a great recipe! I have only had this from Fogo De Chao in Austin and I absolutely loved the bread, so I attempted to make it earlier this year and it wasn’t right, the consistency was off. This recipe is perfect! I did half with parmesan on top and half with kosher salt on top. The salt was really good! Thank you sooooo much for posting this! Also, I am glad to know the name now, it is so much fun to say!

Kristin says:

THANK YOU!!!
    I went to Brasil 8 years ago and have been wanting these ever since! I have even ordered the pre-made packages on-line and like you said, NOT the same! I will be trying these ASAP!!

Isabelle says:

I’m brazilian and I loved this recipe of yours… Not a week goes by without these pao de queijo!!! Thank you for sharing!

Stephanie says:

OMG THANK YOU! Just made these and pretty much ate the entire batch myself. Such an easy and delicious recipe!

Sammie says:

Thought I’d give it a shot and make these for a 3-year-old on a gluten free diet. I tried one and thought, “Wow, these are awesome!” and reluctantly sent the batch with his mom to take home. But I couldn’t stop thinking about the rolls all day and ended up making a second batch later which was devoured by our family. The 3-year-old LOVES them and so do we. Thanks for sharing and BTW you are 100% right – they are dangerous!

I have never heard of these before, but will definitely be making them as soon as possible!

Alec says:

My wife just made these and I must say they are just as good as they were when I was a missionary in Brazil. Thanks!

Christiann says:

These look so yummy! Does this recipe work well without the use of a blender?

Sure, you can whisk everything together. If you’re not using a blender, whisk the milk in a small amount at a time so you can avoid lumps.

I made these tonight! I wasn’t sure what to expect (other than that I’d like them, how could they not be delicious?!), but they turned out great! Never had anything like them. My mini muffin pan is nonstick and has only been used a couple of times, but my pao de queijo stuck and I had to pry them out. No harm done to the taste though. They tasted very good and most surprising of all was the texture. The bottom part was airy but the top part basically had the exact texture of melted mozzarella cheese. My husband actually thought they were little fried cheese things. After reading the reviews, I’m not sure if they were actually supposed to have that texture, but we sure liked them and I plan to make them again soon (and grease the pan next time)! Thanks so much for the fascinating and yummy recipe :)

Joe T says:

I can’t wait to try this. I just bought the tapioca flour. The pães de queijo I had in Brazil were ok, but didn’t live up to their reputation, and I never had homemade.

Você tem uma receita de feijoada também? :)

Mar says:

I searched all over my town (it’s a *very* small town) and the one cooking store was out of the mini muffin tins (go figure!) The woman who was working suggested I try mini cupcake/muffin paper cups. I’ll fill those and then place them into my regular sized muffin tin. It may turn out to be a disaster but I’m sure I’ll still turn out with something tasty. :)

How did the mini muffin papers turn out? That does sound disastrous, both because I think the batter would stick terribly to the paper and I don’t think the mini papers would hold their shape in the regular muffin tin. I wonder if you couldn’t make regular muffin sized ones instead.

Laurel says:

We are gluten-free too and so I was excited to try this recipe. I’ve made them three times now and mine don’t puff up. They turn into little cups which is pretty cool too because you can fill them with stuff. I’ve been using a muffintop pan which are wide & shallow so maybe that is why they don’t puff up. I’ll have to invest in a mini muffin pan. We are really enjoying the pao de quiejo even as cups!

I’m thinking of putting cream cheese (instead of the other cheeses) and a little sugar into the batter and then filling the cups with ice cream. Mmmmmmm

Natalie says:

Ok, I haven’t read all the reviews so I’m not sure if someone has already had this problem but I have now made these twice and the inside is doughy and sinks to the bottom resulting in a caved in top. They are still good but it is driving me nuts that they aren’t turning out like they are supposed to. I followed recipe as written. What could be my problem?

Honestly, sometimes that just happens! Sometimes mine are puffed and sometimes they sink- either way they taste good though so I haven’t tried to figure out why it happens! lol

Sjaak Schulteis says:

Like many before me, thanks for this outstandingly good recipe. What I also like is the quantity of the breads.
    Not too many.
    By the way, I use a Japanese squid ball frying tray, with which the bottom of the pão de queijo becomes round like a ball…

Chris says:

Tapioca starch is sold in asian markets.

karolayne says:

I’m not sure if tapioca flour is the same as “povilho azedo” but I’m brazilian and that’s what we used growing up. There’s not a lot of brazilians in my area but I was able to find this ingredient to substitute for the tapioca flour at my local spanish shop where they have select brazilian items. it works just as well.

Sandra says:

God Bless You! While going to school in Idaho we had Brazilian neighbors(Divino and Lindalva) who would make these sweet cheese rolls bites. Thank you so much for Americanizing them so now I’m going to the store and making some. Can’t thank you enough♥

ps Neighbor would cut them in the middle and put a little tuna inside sometimes. Oh Thank you again. So glad you went to Brazil on your mission. =) Now if I could get that fruit spread in the can with some chashew juice I’d be set. =)

S says:

Can you refrigerate the batter and them make them right before you are ready to eat?

Gabriella says:

I just made these. They are EASY! and YUMMY!! I called my mother right afterwards to brag about it (she makes pao de queijo old-school style). She couldn’t believe it. So I texted her some pics of my final delicious product. Obrigada, Sara!!!!

Megan says:

oh! they serve these at the Rheinlander! YUM

Chris0826 says:

It’s pot luck day at work tomorrow. I signed up to make Pao de Queijo. I’ve made another recipe for about 3 years but wanted to try something else. This recipe was WAY easier and WAY faster and way fluffier yummier!@#$%$ NOM NOM NOM. Now there’s only one problem… How do I get these to work before they cool off… Might have to come home before hand to cook them and bring them in quick…

Cherie says:

I am so excited for this recipe! My husband and I just had those cheesy balls of heaven for the first time at Novilhos restaurant in Factoria, WA Saturday. I can’t wait to make them!

MichelleS says:

Does anyone have a carb/calorie, etc count on these?

Trisha says:

Wow! So glad I found your version, and not something else! Oddly I had to go to two stores tonight as Publix had literally every other type of flour and starch, except tapioca! As I scarfed down 12 of the 24 it made about 5 minutes ago, I realized I would have driven to another state, holy crap they are good. Way better than the ones at Sal Grosso, which were so fought in the middle it was just weird! These were light and airy, I have dubbed them GF cream puffs, and can’t wait to play with the recipe, I want to attempt a sweet version, using like a manchego cheese and some fig spread! I am seriously Gluten intolerant, and I was in GF ecstasy eating these! I used Sartori Gold and a 2 yr aged white cheddar, plus 1 tablespoon of fresh snipped chives. Again, WOW AND HOLY CRAP! If you were wondering if you should bother to whip these up…yes, double yes!

Gisele Souza says:

This is really cool, I’m from Brazil and I have a blog of recipes, I love your blog and was happy to see our delicious cheese bread here. Undoubtedly it is our greatest culinary pride.

Sorry for my inglish! =D

Adriano says:

This is rad! I grew up in Brazil and was fed up with paying $8 for a 12-pack of tiny, frozen pães de queijo here in Seattle. Although, when I first made this recipe, they turned out a bit too greasy and mushy, so I used 1 1/4 cups of tapioca flour and only 2tbsp of oil. I think your yield calculation is a bit on the optimistic side as well. With my mini-muffin tray, one recipe yielded about 7.

taren says:

I have been looking for this recipe! I can not tell you how excited I am to try it. Thank you so much!!!

Autumn says:

Thank you for this recipe!! This is my absolute favorite thing at our Brazilian Steakhouse and I was able to get a few rolls to go when we went this weekend. I quickly made this recipe so that I could compare the results with the ones from the restaurant. I know that I overcooked them a tad (my bottoms were very golden brown) but I’m not sure if that was my only problem. The rolls I made were a bit crispy on the outside and almost all air on the inside. The ones from the restaurant were very soft on the outside (cooked much less than mine) and quite dense and chewy on the inside. Any idea what I did wrong? Might I have done them too long in the blender or used a particular ingredient that wasn’t fresh enough? My tapicoca flour was older but has been stored in the fridge. My eggs and milk were brand-new so I don’t think it was that. Any suggestions??? Thanks again!

Autumn, the rolls usually served at Brazilian restaurants like that are a little different. They tend to be dense and thick and chewy, often from a mix or prepared from frozen. It’s just a different style so these rolls will be slightly different. This recipe definitely gets more airy the longer they’re cooked, so you might try not cooking them for so long next time.

• Autumn says:

Thanks for the tip! I love your website. You ladies always have great recipes and beautiful pictures! :)

jussara@btopenworld.com says:

Hi, my name is Jussara, I am Brazilian. Just to answer your question,
      - the cheese bread that is served in the restaurant probably is not the same as this, surely they must do the traditional cheese bread. That is another recipe.

Stephanie says:

These rolls were amazing!! My husband served his mission in Brasil and he loved them. Our kids couldn’t eat them fast enough!

Karen Glasgow says:

My boyfriend and I eat paleo/primal most of the time. When we “cheat”, we use these as hamburger buns for sliders. Or, we use tart tins instead of the muffin tins (4 of them), and use one “tart” for the bottom bun and one for the top. DELISH. OMG, thank you so much! :)