I’ve told you before that I have a weird habit of watching shows on the Food Network while working out.  The other day I was sweating my cookie-pie filled love handles off on the treadmill while watching Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.  They were at some little hole-in-the-wall that was famous for their meatloaf sandwich.  Not only have I never had (or had a desire to have) a meatloaf sandwich in my entire life, but I have only made meatloaf one time in the past 10 years.  There’s something about the words meat and loaf that tells me they shouldn’t go together in the same sentence let alone the same dish.  Strangely though, I couldn’t stop thinking about that dumb sandwich.  Why did it look so good??  Why could I not stop thinking about something I was pretty sure I detested?  We’ve actually had a lot of requests for meatloaf, and since I couldn’t get it out of my head, I started to poke around for a recipe.  Oddly, that very same day Kate randomly texted me (not that texting on its own was random, we only text each other like 879 times a day…) and said she had made meatloaf that day and it was good.  I think the universe was trying to tell us something!  Maybe she’ll share her recipe too sometime.

I happened to stumble across a segment from The Early Show, where Chris Kimball of America’s Test Kitchen was making classic comfort food, featuring meatloaf.  Meatloaf is a perfect example of a recipe that would benefit from endless testing of proportions, meat combinations, fillers, flavors, baking methods, etc.  so I knew this would be a good one to trust (besides the fact that I trust just about everything from Chris Kimball!) You can check out this link to read all about the impacts of all of those things, it’s actually really interesting.  Understanding the science and reasoning behind food and recipes will really help you become a better cook!

The result?  I actually like meatloaf!  Who knew?  I guess I just needed a good recipe for it.  This one actually has great flavor, and perhaps more importantly, a good texture.  I have to say the sauce really did it for me.  Okay, and maybe the fact that it’s wrapped in bacon.  And you better believe I have a post about a meatloaf sandwich coming up :)

Let’s cook.  Start by sauteing some onions and garlic and then set them aside.

Next is all of the wet ingredients, and the spices.  A couple of eggs, worcestershire sauce, a little dijon mustard, a couple of douses of hot sauce, plain yogurt (adds tons of moisture), salt, pepper, and thyme.

All whisked up it looks like a yummy salad dressing and it actually smells really good too!  PS, don’t put this on salad.

Into the same bowl goes the meat.  They recommend 50% beef and 25% each of ground pork and veal.  I used 50% beef and 50% pork because while I have no issues eating grown-up cows, pigs, and chickens, somehow I don’t want to eat baby ones.  It’s just mean.  Don’t judge.  You’ll also add the onions and garlic you cooked up, fresh parsley and some crushed saltines.  You can substitute fresh bread crumbs as well, but the saltines actually work great.

Mix ‘er all up.

And…shape it.  Into a loaf.  It’s meatloaf folks, don’t try to get creative.  Place it on a foil-lined baking sheet, not in a loaf pan.  One of the things they noted from the test kitchens was that putting it in a loaf pan caused it to just sit in it’s own juices and sort of boil instead of bake. You get a much better result when it’s baked free form.

Smear some of the sauce over it and then wrap it up in bacon.  By the way, I love sentences that include the phrase “wrap it up in bacon.” There’s absolutely no way that can’t end well.

Pop that bad boy in the oven and bake for about an hour.  The bacon gets crispy on top and your house smells fantastic.

Then you can take more of that glaze and brush it right on the top while it’s hot. Slice it up and serve with extra sauce (a must!) and mashed potatoes don’t hurt either.  (If you’ve got a copy of our cook book, the recipes on page 178 for Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Garlic and Parmesan ones are fantastic!)

Try it.  You just might like meat loaf!

Eric says:

This was so great, who doesn’t love meat, wrapped in more meat?! Great job on this one babe!

teresa says:

Oh man that looks good….I will be giving this recipe a try.
    Thanks
    Happy Day

Okay, you evil woman! Bacon? Really? :) I’ve always used the same recipe I had growing up (minus the sauce). This one might just replace it! I love the idea of NOT putting it in a loaf pan. And, yes, you CAN get creative! I shape my meatloaf into smaller “mounds”. It cooks faster that way, and it’s more fun for the kids to each have their own!

LaughingLady says:

OHmygoodness! We love meatloaf around here, but I’ve never had great success with it ~ I wonder if the loaf pan was maybe the problem all along! Must test that out…

…while trying out your amazing-looking and sounding recipe! Man, my mouth is watering already!!

Deanna says:

This sounds fabulous! I’ll have to try it. I put my meatloaf on a broiler pan with the bottom wrapped in foil so that the atery clogging junk runs down and clean up is pretty easy.

Adrienne M says:

Okay funny story. Just a couple of days ago I made meatloaf for dinner. I went straight to your cookbook then blog in search of a recipe. But alas, nada. So I modified the Pioneer Woman’s recipe with whatever we had in the house. We live with my aunt and uncle, who dont live super close to a grocery store and I had already been out of the house that day haha. So I made the meatloaf and it was good. When we ate dinner the first thing my uncle asked was if I got the recipe from your cookbook. Lol. This one sounds even better than the one I made – why didn’t I think to use worcestershire sauce?? So I’ll be trying this soon. :-)

Now when you say chili sauce do you mean the Asian chili sauce?

Adrienne- no, NOT Asian chili sauce. Chili sauce is similar to ketchup, but with a little more flavor. You find it in smaller bottles, right near the ketchup in the grocery store.

Mmmm…looks fantastic!!! I think this meatloaf has a place in my future!!!

Me again! I have a question… the recipe says to “mix all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan”. Do you heat it up? Boil? Help! Thanks!

That’s exactly how they wrote the recipe- you’ll see at the end it says to simmer it before serving so it thickens a little bit. I simmered mine at the very beginning and just reheated it at the end, but it doesn’t matter, either way :) Actually, I’ll re-word the instructions to make that more clear.

Stacia says:

Ok…ground pork…same as pork sausage, or no?

Nope- just regular, unflavored ground pork. Sausage is full of seasonings and other stuff. If you can’t find regular ground pork, just ask the person at the meat counter.

I didn’t a bacon wrapped meat loaf recently too. Sooooo good!

jaime says:

I had to laugh at this post, then read it out loud to my husband. I share the same thoughts and feelings about meatloaf as you described here! Especially the meat+loaf being in the same sentence part! I love your humor, it always puts a smile on my face and makes me happy that someone else can relate to me and the thoughts that go through my head sometimes. :)

I will for sure be trying this recipe even though I hate meatloaf. This one looks pretty darn good! I don’t like lemon desserts either, but made ya’lls lemon cupcakes and they were divine, so why not meatloaf too? :)

I love your recipes, thanks for sharing with all of us!

Jaime says:

Tried this last night (I bought the ingredients almost a week ago!!) Good heck this was GOOOOOOOOD stuff!!!! Really!! I can’t wait to have it again. Had my parents over for dinner and they loved it too. Even my 2 year old ate some! YUMMMY! Thanks for making me a convert to meatloaf (as long as it is THIS recipe), although I still don’t like the word “meatloaf”. I think we will refer to this as “Glazed bacon-wrapped Beef”. :)

Jacqueline Gorbutt says:

Best meat loaf ever…have been making it since the recipe was first published, years ago, in Cook’s Illustrated magazine. We love the bacon, but in a pinch, it can be made without and it is still very yummy!

Carolyn says:

I HATE meat loaf. HATE HATE HATE it. Mostly because I can’t stand ketchup. But, this recipe looks realllllllly good, and I didn’t see any ketchup on the ingredient list. So, I think we are going to give this a try. Plus you’re right, how can something wrapped in bacon NOT be good?? lol

Shannon says:

Loved your story about meatloaf because I had a similar experience. I have never liked meatloaf or the thought of a big hunk of meat in a loaf. Scott however loves meatloaf. When we had our delis we had a meatloaf sandwich with bbq sauce and all the fixings. Learned to love meatloaf. I think for me it is all about the fixings and getting past a big piece of meat. I still don’t enjoy double meat patty hamburger. Not even at in-n-out.

Cat says:

Your meatloaf looks delicious! I must admit, my meatloaf recipe is the only one I’ve ever liked, but your’s looks like it comes close. I’ll have to give this one a try. I KNOW my husband will like the bacon for sure. :)

Maureen says:

My hubby hates meatloaf too. I’m pretty sure it a, “on principle” thing, like the words meat+loaf not working. That and his mom is not a great cook. I may have to try this one and see if I can win him over. Because the rest of us all like it! And with the bacon he’d have to at least try it, to not would be sin in his mind. ;)

Kaitlyn says:

This looks like a great recipe…I will have to try it.

Growing up, Meatloaf was a regular meal in our house. And so, of course, meatloaf sandwiches were a regular too. Strangely I LOVED helping my mom make meatloaf b/c I got the (now disgusting) job of squishing the eggs and meat together…I just loved it as a kid!
    Fast forward to me living with my husband and starting to cook on my own…the idea of a LOAF OF MEAT just disgusted me! I never wanted to make it, but then I saw a recipe from Paula Deen and her sons for mini, individual meat loafs made in muffin tins with a similar sauce to yours. For some reason, the idea of a muffin of meat sounded more appetizing. I’ve made it a few times, and really like it. It is very similar to your recipe and I agree that the sauce on top (instead of the ketchup my mom used to squirt on it) really makes it!
    Here’s the paula deen recipe…

joy says:

Any guesses as to serving size? I’m trying to decide if I need to double this or not for 5 adults and a 6 little ones.

Joy, it’s a full 2 pounds of meat- and it makes a 9×5 inch loaf. So if you’re “little” ones really are little and won’t be eating tons, then I’d say one batch would probably be okay. If you’ve got some big eaters in there then you may want more.

Jill says:

This is the only way that my mom, and now I make Meatloaf! Bacon and the glaze were the only reason I would eat it growing up. The recipe is basically the same as my mom has made it for the past 40 years! So tasty with the bacon and the meatloaf sandwiches are divine with a little dijon mustard!

Rachel Henderson says:

We have pork allergies, so is there another meat i could substitute without losing the flavor?

Beth Hills says:

Holy heck this sounds heavenly! But, anything embraced by bacon’s fatty layers-o-love has got to be good eats. No more meatloaf with cheese cubes and ketchup for me!! Love your site!!

Heather says:

I actually have all these ingredients in my freezer/pantry!! I know what’s for dinner tonight! Thanks

Angela says:

I tried the Bananas Foster Bread Pudding last night(delicious) and it looks like tonight its the meatloaf! Thanks for the tip about the ‘loaf pan’…I always thought it looked putrid coming out of the oven boiling in the fat:)

Morgan says:

I don’t eat baby animals either. It is mean. :)

Deanna says:

This is totally for dinner.

Sharon Leevy says:

Meatloaf is one of my favorite entrees! I will have to try this! :)

Sarah says:

Oh wow! My husband will LOVE this. Thanks for sharing. And making meatloaf sound half way tasty. ;)

JConnolly says:

I use pretty much the same recipe from Cook’s Country (which is published by the folks at Cooks Illustrated), and wanted to let everyone know that this freezes BEAUTIFULLY (it was pitched as “freezer meatloaf” in the magazine). Well…the recipe I have doesn’t use bacon (and it’s still awesome BTW), but I would think you could freeze it with the bacon right on there. I make the standard 2 lbs of meat recipe and only cook half per the instructions above (there’s only 3 of us). Slap the rest of it in a loaf pan, freeze it WITHOUT covering it for the first hour, then wrap it up with some foil. When you want to cook the second half, plop it out of the pan onto a cookie sheet and bake. I think it takes about 50 minutes at 375 (the smaller loaf/frozenness must cancel out). Then take it out of the oven, put the glaze on and cook for another 10 minutes. I love it because I only have to get my hands squishy once for two great meals. Also (I know this comment is long), I use whole wheat crackers and can’t tell the difference.

laura scott says:

i wonder how these would do cooked in muffin tins w/the bacon on top? i usually make meatloaf called “diner muffin meatloaf cups” (big family) I might just have to try this!! woohoo

Ashley says:

I too have avoided meat loaf my entire adult life so far. This is tempting me into giving it a try, though. :)

Laura McCleve says:

This looks so yummy. I happen to LOVE meat loaf. And this may sound crazy, but I love it made outa ground turkey. The 93/7 ratio one. It really is good. Oh, and I always mix it in my Bosch with the dough hooks. Mixes it so good and my hands don’t hafta get squishied. Gonna try this recipe with the ground turkey ASAP. Thanx for sharing your yummy recipes!!

Melissa says:

This made me laugh. I love meatloaf but only my mom’s. I think mainly, after reading this, because she never cooked it in a loaf pan and put a glaze over the top. She also uses wheat germ in the meat mixture. I have no idea why but it is better with than without. Strange huh?? =o)

Brooke Agre says:

Totally off subject but I’m trying to find the honey-citrus vinagrette. I follow the links but the page is unable to come up. Can you help me?!

Jenna says:

This was a perfect 10– i used 50/50 mix of sausage and ground beef. The yogurt adds a great texture and makes it not too dense..

Linda Gruber says:

Okay meat loaf sandwhiches are my favorite! So good. My recipe calls for oatmeal as the filler and plain old ketchup baked on top. Yum!!!!!!!

Jessica says:

lol…I totally watch food network while working out too! This looks amazing, can’t wait to try. Love the new look of the blog! Keep the good stuff coming!

Lisa says:

I have a friend who’s about to deliver her third baby boy, and I’m trying to deliver a bunch of meals into her freezer before she does. I think their family would like this, but I’m wondering about its freezability. Any thoughts on whether or not it would work, and cooking times? Thanks!

Lisa- check out comment #28 for tips on freezing, it should work great!

Alyssa says:

I made this tonight and it was great! My husband liked it and my 3 year old ate it! That’s a minor miracle. My variations: vanilla yogurt because that’s all I had, ketchup, all beef, and I had to add 10 minutes to the cook time because it was still raw in the center after an hour. I also used a whole pound of bacon, because more is more, right? It tasted really good and wasn’t anything like my regular meatloaf.

Have you done a post on tearless onion cutting? I read once to use lemon juice, but that didn’t work for me.

Jennifer Suman says:

Hey, just saw your comment about tearless onion cutting. Try keeping your onions in the fridge. They have to be in there at least overnight for the best results, but if you do they shouldn’t make you cry. Works great for me!

• Alyssa says:

Now that I think of it, that does make it better! I was wondering why the fresh-from-the-store-onion affected me so much more. Thanks. :)

• Aidan says:

This is a little weird, but if you stick a peice of bread in your mouth you won’t tear up. Just maybe don’t use this trick if you have guests watching you cook, or if you’re prone to drooling. ;)

Brighton Jorgensen says:

I Love Meatloaf. My mom has the most simple recipe, that uses the Saltines you were talking about. They really are great in Meatloaf! I am going to have to try this recipe too!

peabody says:

You can’t turn down anything wrapped in bacon!

Katie Tyler says:

sara, I also have NEVER desired to combine MEat and Loaf.. but I thought it was funny that the ONE time I did – I made one from America’s Test Kitchen! So- Seeing that this is also from America’s Test Kithcen gave it the second stamp of approval (being an OBB recipe is the obvious first) So I guess I will be making my Second Meat Loaf EVER. :)

Lynne says:

Can’t wait to try the recipe! What brand of chili sauce do you use? I’ve never used it before. An earlier comment said that is is by the ketchup. So it is not by the Mexican food and it is not the same thing as hot sauce? Thanks–can use help with any clarifications!

Lynne- it’s not spicy, it really tastes similar to ketchup, just with a little more flavor. You should be able to find Heinz brand at most grocery stores. The bottle label looks a lot like the heinz ketchup label, the bottle is just smaller and it’s usually a shelf or two down from the ketchup. I’ll snap a picture of mine and add it to this post! I’ve used generic store brands as well and they’re just fine too.

Nicki says:

I am soooooo making this tonight!! I think I have made meatloaf 5 times in the 20+ years of our marriage… I always hate how it sits there and boils! -Also, the first time I made it right after we were married, I misread the recipe and put in tons of salt… my sweet new husband ate it anyway; it made me gag!! I have been leary ever since! Can’t wait to try this! Bacon makes everything heavenly!

Jan says:

I’ve always been a lover of meatloaf…but a PICKY lover! There are soooo many horrible recipes out there for it that I can totally understand why some people hate it! It really wasn’t until I found Martha Stewart’s recipe years ago that I loved it. The only problem with hers is that it calls for lots of chopped up veggies which is a real prep-pain-in-the-neck. I also did not like the sweet glaze on the top of hers…way too sweet, imho. Here’s the link, if you’re interested: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/classic-meat-loaf

Still, I LOVE Chris Kimball/America’s Test Kitchens. And I agree…this is a recipe that needs to be tested and tried! I would have NEVER guessed yogurt in it. But it looks SO WONDERFUL (Umm…wrapped in bacon? YES, PLEASE!) I’m trying it asap!! Also, I noticed a reader said she splits her loaves in half and freezes one loaf. I’ve always done that and it’s SO NICE to have on hand! In fact, I often double the recipe and make four loaves, giving two for my parents to have in their freezer. I like the smaller loaves b/c I like my meatloaf to have lots of crunchy end pieces :) And I agree that baking on a rimmed, flat, or cookie sheet is really important! That’s how you get all the yummy, browned goodness from the meatloaf. In fact, my mom uses the pan drippings to make a yummy brown gravy from it. I don’t do that anymore, but with bacon?? Might be worthwhile!

Thanks for the awesome recipe!!!

P.S. This was the only the second time to your blog and I LOVE IT! And today when I read, “I don’t eat babies,” I KNEW we were soul sisters!! I’ve always said that and people think I’m nuts!! But I just cannot eat veal, lamb, or the like for that reason. Thanks for proving I’m not the only “wierdly kind” one! And..sorry for the ridic. long post!!! Ugh.

Stephanie says:

i share your sentiments exactly on meat + loaf. i have never even eaten it, let alone cooked it. based solely on this post, though, i now feel compelled to try both making and eating it for the first time. smart move putting the words “glazed” and “bacon-wrapped” first in the title. :)

Donna says:

I made this for supper tonight! I am not a fan of meatloaf but this one sold me. My husband hates to taste anything herby in his food so I left out the thyme and parsley but did everything else as written. WOW! What a great combination of flavors. I did use ground pork, veal and beef as called for in the original recipe and bread crumbs instead of saltines. My husband is a huge fan as am I. I divided the meat mixture into two meatloaves and froze one (without the sauce or bacon), giving us 2 meals from the one recipe. All I’ll have to do is make the glaze and add the bacon. I would serve this to company…it’s that good!

Sam says:

Meatloaf is one of our family favs, and meatloaf sandwiches are the bomb! A few tips: USE SALTINES, because with oatmeal or bread crumbs you’ll get a denser loaf. For meat loaf sandwiches: REHEAT the loaf to room-temp before using..cold hamburger is icky! I usually slice it cold, lay the slices on a plate and microwave about 20 seconds, MMMMM….meatloaf sandwiches…..YUMMY! Love the bacon idea!

Paul Greenhalgh says:

Been using that meatloaf recipe for years and I love it. The meatloaf sandwiches are a reward the next day. I found the recipe in “Cook’s Illustrated” American Classics cook book published in 2002. For the non red meat eaters in our family I have used ground turkey wrapped in turkey bacon.

Kellie says:

I live in ABQ, NM and The Standard Diner is here in Albuquerque that serves the Meatloaf you are talking about. Its such a great restaurant, not really that “Standard” of a diner, but AWESOME food. I’ve never actually tried the meatloaf but i know they put raisins in too. People rave about it. I am going to try your version now! Thanks.

Tara says:

I made this last night and it was a hit!! I have four kids (ages 8 to 3) and they all loved it. I was a little dubious of the thyme but it was great and the sweet glaze really went well with the earthiness of the thyme. I used pork instead of veal, center cut bacon instead of regular. There were several options for binder. I used oats that I ran through my chopper. I have another recipe that used oatmeal for its binder and really like it plus whole grains – woo hoo! WW ladies – I put this through the WW Recipe Builder and came up with 9 Points Plus per serving (I figured 8 servings) – may even be lower b/c I found lower fat ground pork at my grocery and WW database just had regular ground pork. The only change I would make to this recipe is a little more glaze. I didn’t have any leftover to pass with the meatloaf. This recipe is going into regular rotation in our house. Thanks so much OBB!!!

Mandy says:

my meatloaf is in the oven…can’t wait to try it. We like meatloaf at our house as long as there is NO ketchup! I generally cook it with cream of mushroom soup that has some worcestershire and teriyaki sauce in it. My family loves bacon so we decided this had to be tried!

Jeannette Denning says:

Thanks for the great recipe! My hubby always loves meatloaf, since he was away this week I thought I would try this one out as his “welcome home” dinner. He thought it/I was awesome! Thanks SO much! (I also whipped up some of your no-bake Reese’s bars b/c he had to take treats to a meeting tonight, thanks again!) You guys are awesome!

Jenn says:

I found your book at Costco and it looked amazing, so I thought I’d come and check the website out, too. And I have to tell you that everything on your site I’ve seen so far looks awesome. Especially this meatloaf! I have always liked meatloaf, but I got bored of it and quit making it. I totally agree about the boiling in the loaf pan thing. I always pull the pan out and drain it a couple times throughout the cooking process. This looks so much better, though! I think I’ll make it for Sunday dinner tomorrow! Sorry, I have to go! I need to get to the store!!!

Donna says:

Made this for the second time tonight! My husband can’t wait to get home, says he’s been thinking about this meatloaf all day. I made twice the meat mixture and froze half so all I have to do the next time is thaw, make the glaze and freeze it. Can’t wait for dinner. I am now a meatloaf convert!

Crystal says:

Oh my goodness, where have you two been been all my life! I am just facinated with your blog, I havent stopped reading it since I found it, and when I go to the states this year I am going to buy your book for sure! This recipe is perfect for Father’s Day and I think my husband will just flip when he tries it! I love how all your recipes have a unique twist! Question though about the meatloaf, what happens if you just use all beef and no pork?

So glad you found us Crystal!

The pork adds a soft texture to the overall mix, but you could definitely use all beef. Check out the note in the post, the test kitchens suggested adding a bit of gelatin to the mix if you’re using all beef. Interesting, but it totally works!

Kirsti Saatela says:

best thing ever! my sister is picky. she had 3 servings before even leaving the kitchen!!!

Trista says:

Made this meatloaf tonight to use up some ground beef and pork sausage that I had to use up. It was DELICIOUS!! I will definitely be making it again and again. Only thing was, I didn’t have chili sauce, so I used the asian variety. HOLY MOLY!! It was a little spicey. I’m glad I tasted it before I put it onto the meatloaf. I used it sparingly and it was still good. Next time, I’ll use the correct kind. Thanks!!

Darla says:

Our family LOVES this recipe! My 8 year old son chose it for his birthday dinner and it was a hit with the entire family. Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!

sueAnn Dee le says:

I have always hated meatloaf. Growing up I didn’t usually have to finish what was on my plate to be excused from the table, just usually had to try a few bits of everything, and so long as I ate healthy food, I could go, but OCCASIONALLY, one parent or the other would get all works up and a big struggle ensued. So it w the Halloween of my 10th year.
    Dad, “its ground beef, you like ground beef, how can you not like meatloaf”
    Me, “I don’t like ground beef, I just tolerate when it’s smothered. In spaghetti sauce or a bun”
    Dad, “well, your mother smothered this in sauce especially for you, now eat your meatloaf”‘
    Me, “I hate the sauce, it’s all ketchupy”
    dad, “you love ketchup”
    Me, “not cooked ketchup”
    Dad, (really frustrated now) no getting down from the table till you FINISH your meatloaf!”

Well, as I have mentioned, it was halloween, how long could he keep me there? Turns out he thought this was the perfect night to ‘motivate’ me, hard to go trick or treating when you can’t get down from the table. But I was pretty stubborn and I’d already eaten my green beans, ny tolerance for eating foods I didnt care for had reached it’s max, so I sat there, figuring for sure he’d cave, I was pretty adamant I was not eating that meatloaf. maybe it was all the candy i’d already eaten that day, maybe it was the only thing worse than forced meatloaf at dinner was forced cold meatloaf later on, but I wasn’t budging, and to save face, and any chance at credibility ever again, neither was Dad.
    Long story short, I missed trick or treating that year, and have never felt compelled to try meatloaf ever again. … Until now,
    I’ve made it before, many times in my married life actually, (well and by many I mean maybe a dozen in 25 yrs) my husband LOVES meatloaf, and to my surprise, so do our kids (traitors)
    But his, this sounds like something I could get behind. (yes, you had me at bacon) and maybe if I actually bake it, not boil it in it’s own nasty juices in a loaf pan, it will be something I can eat.
    (btw, I’ve never actually used a meatloaf recipe before, I just thought it was ground meat, some seasoning, an egg some crumbs, how could you go wrong)
    I think I will try this this Oct 31st! I let you know if in was allowed to leave the table before bedtime!
    :-)

Becky says:

I made this the other night for the 1st time and all I have to say is I will never use another recipe again. Best meatloaf EVER. :)

Marci says:

The fact that this recipe is an ATK recipe, with an extra stamp of approval from OBB means that this recipe will automatically get added to our upcoming meals list. I know anything ATK or OBB will be delicious.

Connie Hamblin says:

Split Pea soup with grilled tuna sandwiches….

Chuck Chalker says:

I’m from a small rural farm in New York, so we didn’t have much, any way my mom always made meat loaf cause she could make dinner and school lunches from a single meal. We used lean ground beef and onions from our garden and regular Quaker Oat meal and a couple eggs from our chickens. She would add half a small can of tomato soup to the meat mixture, add put the rest on top for a glaze it was never greasy or sitting in a bunch of juice. She baked it for 45-60 minutes at 350.

Shannon says:

When I told my family about this recipe, they insisted I make it. It was a hit! Thanks for the great recipe.

Janice says:

I made this last night and it was amazing and scrumptious.

Jessica says:

Thanks ladies, I made this last night for dinner with friends and it was AMAZING!! I used thick sliced bacon, turned the heat up to 375 for the last 20 minutes or so, and it turned out great. That glaze = perfection!

Nona T. says:

I made this tonight for dinner with a friend. He asked to take the leftovers home so he could have a meatloaf sandwich tomorrow. I have to tell you it was wonderful! I couldn’t get ground pork at the Native store so I had to use reindeer sausage (reindeer, pork & beef mixed into a sausage). It was wonderful. Another great recipe to remake here in Bush Alaska. Thank you for making me look like a great cook. Served with your bread sticks. Great comfort food now that it’s getting colder up here. Only 37f today. Snow in another month.