When I got engaged one of the first things I did was pick out my china.  My Mom has a beautiful antique china cabinet displaying her heirloom dishes.  It was always SO special to get to eat on those plates with the fancy gold-rimmed goblets and the gorgeous silver, and all of the accompanying trinkets that only got pulled out on major holidays like Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc.  We sat on upholstered white chairs which sat on top of white carpet (seriously, she’s a mother of four- what was she thinking?!)  in the fancy dining room where we only ate on those occasions.  In fact, when we go home for major holidays we still do this, and I love it.  I love that it causes people to be just a little more polite, and maybe take just a few more minutes to chew their food and sit around the table to chat.  It reminds me that there’s something special about that day.

Now…next week I will be celebrating my 7th wedding anniversary.  Ask me how many times I’ve had a fancy dinner on my fancy China.  Zero.  It’s wrapped up safely in boxes in my garage like it has been since it was given to us at our wedding reception.  My husband reminds regularly that he thinks the whole idea of fancy china is lame.  I DO intend to use it.  In fact, I’m super excited for when I have room in my house for a beautiful hutch to display it in, and kids old enough to appreciate it.  I really look forward to those days.  But that’s going to have to wait until I don’t have 3 boys under the age of 5.  Or the age of 10.  Or who knows when really.  For now, we stick to adorable paper paper plates from Target- because if I’m going to slave away on food all day, the dishes should at least be easy, right?  When my boys are old enough for me to trust them to wash my china, maybe we’ll eat on it :)

So in the spirit of cute and easy holiday table decor- you’ve got to know how to make carrot napkins.  They’re a classic!  And they seem to be everywhere these days.  I love how a lot of these cute old-time classic crafts are popping up again on blogs.  If you’re having a casual pot-luck type meal, these are perfect- AND I’ve even done them on a formal table with real silverware and they look super cute sitting on each plate.  Even better- the kids can put them together!

Here’s what you’ll need:

- Orange napkins (the large sized napkins)
- Green plastic cutlery
- Ties: ribbon, twine, twist ties, pipe cleaners, etc.

Hit a party supply store for a good selection of colored cutlery and napkins, or the Walmart party supply section is usually well stocked as well.

Open up your napkin and lay it flat on the table with the fold opening at the top

Take the bottom right hand corner and fold it up to the middle of the napkin

Place your cutlery on the opposite side.  I always put the knife in back, and the fork on top of the spoon.  Partially because the fork sits in the spoon nicely, and partly because I like that the fork looks the most like a carrot top :)

Start rolling from the left-hand side and roll the cutlery right up to the middle

Then grab the other side of the triangle and roll it the rest of the way around so you have a nice little carrot shaped bundle:

I like to tie them with a little green ribbon

But twine looks cute too, or if you want to go the super quick and easy route you can use pipe cleaners or even twist ties!  That last option is definitely the best if kids are putting these together.  I’ve used all 3 and they all look cute.

Lay them together in a basket and it doubles as adorable Easter decor on the table!

I’ve also used these as place cards before and they look great on both formal dinnerware (with real silverware) and disposable plates.  If you are doing something formal, I love these cute bunny napkins from Martha Stewart.

Isn’t it cool that target designed this whole line of dinnerware to match our blog?? They’re so nice.

Lastly, I’m going to leave you with this video.

You’ll have to tell us if it’s any good because Kate and I are both too weirded out watching ourselves to make it all the way through!  I do know you can hear lots of fun stuff like when I stabbed my own foot with a huge knife.
Good times people, good times!

Kim says:

So stinkin’ cute!! I just might do this at my parents house for Easter dinner. :-)

Cari says:

Way too cute!! I know I’m slow but I just ordered my own early Mother’s Day gift, a certain cookbook that I’m so excited to get. Now ya’ll just need to come the the Deseret Book in Henderson, NV so I can get it signed and my life will be complete :) Loved the video btw. Is it somewhat disturbing that I feel like I know ya? The knife in the foot story was crazy!! I think you potentially need to get yourself some steel toed boots to cook in, just sayin’!!

Cari, I *almost* went to Henderson last weekend! I am sure to get down there at some point because I have family there (know any Cox’s? lol) And yes- you can totally feel like you know us because we feel like we know all of you!

Amy K says:

These are just adorable. I especially like the one with the tag added.

I absolutely adore the whole carrot crafting trend. These are absolutely perfect! Happy Easter to you!

Melanie says:

LOVE the video! So cute! It makes me want to meet you both….you’re welcome to dinner at my house anytime….I’d be cooking from your cookbook!

Nathaly says:

So fun to see you on the video! Looking good ladies! ;) You did a great job!

Ashley says:

I actually made these last weekend with the “help” of my 3-year old. He thought it was soooooooo much fun and kept telling me how “cute” they were. :-) This is a great idea to jazz up your table without breaking out the china (we’re using paper plates as well). Thanks, gals!

Barbara says:

Children will never know the same good feelings you had about special dinners on the good china if you don’t use it. It isn’t as fragile as you think. When my 3 boys brought home girls for dinner the girls always said something about what beautiful table manners the boys have. If you want them to appreciate it, you have to take it out of the box and use it. If you want them to learn to eat like gentlemen, you have to train them on th real thing. I’m just sayin’. Kids do appreciate special dinners, special china, special everything at a tablecloth-clad table, and more than you know.

That’s a great point Barbara! Maybe I will pull it out one of these days. I *am* a huge stickler for manners though- even with our paper plates I’m training my little gentlemen!

Trista says:

So stinkin’ cute! Love these. And love how much easier it is to leave a comment. :D

Rachel says:

This is so cute!!!

Jodi J. says:

Your video was great! You guys are beautiful and talented and I love every recipe of yours I have made so far. I don’t have your cookbook yet (secretly hoping to get it for my birthday in 2 weeks) but my favorite recipe from the blog is the San Diego style fish tacos with the mango pico and and cilantro lime dressing. Seriously- I crave it!!

Melissa says:

My grandma is very much the special china and silverware kinda gal. Several years ago, we all had Thanksgiving at her house. I brought huge plastic disposable plates to use and she was APPALLED but let us talk her into it. Later when the dishwasher was loaded and all of us girls were sitting around peacefully enjoying each other’s company instead of slaving to clean up the giant mess we had made, she admitted how much she loved it and she’s been a disposable plate convert ever since. :) I love the beauty of china and silver but I’d much rather enjoy the beauty of the holiday and being with my family than be sentenced to the kitchen.

Sharline says:

What a great video! You both looked great and it was fun to watch! And the carrots are way cute!

I’d really like to make these, but I’m certain my regular grocery store doesn’t carry colored utensils or napkins. Did you say you bought these at Target? Or were you referring to the colorful linens in the background? Thanks for the idea!

I just went to our local party supply store (Zurchers) and they carry every color imaginable! Walmart has a great selection too, in their party supply section.

Valerie says:

This idea is TOO cute! Thanks for sharing.

VERY cute! And I love that it doesn’t involve a hot glue gun!!

Bonnie Ellsworth says:

Don’t be too scared to start using that fancy china; we began when our kids were toddlers and they surprised us by being very careful. They were too small to handle crystal stemware (and let’s be honest–crystal is fragile even for grown-ups)so we substituted jam jars or other heavy glasses. As adults they have wonderful memories of holiday dinners and only 1 plate ever got broken in 35+ years!

Vickie says:

Why not use the china for just a special couples dinner? late night dinner some night after the hooligans are in bed :)

mjfluke says:

1st – Loved the video. We have those memories of using my Mom’s china once a year as well. When she passed away I was blessed to receive her china. It now sits in it’s place of honor in a china cabinet. I try to bring it out at least two or three times a year. Despite it’s out of date pattern, my mother’s china is a treat for me to use maybe because it makes me think of her.

Shannon says:

Yay, someone else who has never eaten off their China and who also eats on paper plates!! Sometimes I wonder, when my boys grow up, are they going to mind that they ate off paper plates so much of their lives?? Are they even going to remember? ha! As for our China, out it goes to our garage sale next week. I’d much rather have some nice everyday dishes that can at least sit in the cabinet and get looked at once in a while, even if we usually eat off paper plates. The China sits all wrapped up in my pantry and never even sees the light of day.

Jessie Spiers says:

you two are absolutely adorable. i loved watching that interview. every wednesday me and my girl friends get together with our kids and make something our of your cookbook! we love everything that we’ve made. my favorite so far is the brazilian lemonade. it was so delicious. thanks for all you do and all the inspiration! :)

Erin A says:

I have a China Hutch full of beautiful china and I’m real concerned about whats going to happen to it when my little boy starts walking. Keeping it boxes sounds like a great idea about now.

April says:

Years ago Sister Holland spoke to the CES (seminary/institute teacher) spouses. She made the comment how she only pulled out her china for special guests and special occasions. Then one day, the thought occurred to her, who is more special than her own family? She then started using her china for Sunday dinners – even though her kids were young. My mom started doing the same thing. We used to only use it the holidays you mentioned, but now, 25 years later, she still pulls it out every Sunday. I love that she thinks we were/are special enough to use it.

What a fun idea! I hosted a little Easter picnic & egg hunt a few yrs ago for my kids and their friends using paper bag lunches packed with sandwiches, a bag of mini carrots, chips, and the chick and rabbit cupcakes from brightideas.com. We also made bunny ears for them to wear and we did the “bunny hop”. Even the parents had a great time! I could have totally used this idea for the napkin and utensils! That just gives me an excuse to do another party & picnic this weekend! I’m gonna have to hit Joann’s or Target for a cute spring tablecloth too, those are soo cute! Now I just hope its WARM on Saturday here in Utah!

mel tardy says:

Just so you know, it never really happens. (kids getting old enough). My six range in age from 13-23 and I STILL USE PAPER!! Plus, you have so many more options for color and theme, and clean up is a breeze!! I will definitely be making the carrot silverware cuties this weekend. Thanks for the idea!

Sarah says:

I love that you guys are real especially when you said “we’re not against fast food”. I had been following another food blog of a mother that I thought tried to cook healthy – little did I know how obsessive it was. It’s good to be healthy and teach your kids that way, but the way some moms are, they think that one bad food is going to kill their child. One mother commented a post and said that when she saw her daughter pick up a cupcake at a birthday party she sprinted across the room before her kid could lick the icing and told the other parents that eating those things isn’t worth diabetes. In my opinion, those people will have more than diabetes to worry about if they put their kids in a box and control every bite they take. If they don’t practice moderation now, how will they later? Anyways, enough of my rant but just wanted to comment on that haha

Lisa says:

That is nutty. And a misinformed person, to boot. Eating sugar won’t give you diabetes… sigh.

What a cute, and even easy Easter idea! I love it!

Paige says:

Good job on the interview! I would have been a nervous wreck, but you both look calm and cool. Love the knife in the foot story!

Lisa says:

I put my Wedgewood china in the dishwasher. Their website encouraged me to do it! Now it is fancy dish day a lot! :) (I still handwash my silver, though, even though I understand that it is fine in the dishwasher, too- with no other metal)

Patti says:

Sara- we have the SAME china!!! Here’s an idea. Since I have a ton of it, you start using yours and if any break, I’ll give you a replacement of whatever breaks. Give the china a try. By the way, it’s supposed to be dishwasher safe, but my husband would rather wash it by hand himself than let me put it in the dishwasher.
    Your interview was terrific. However, if you both love cilantro so much that you could eat it everyday, I don’t stand a chance of your second book being cilantro-free, do I?!!! It’s at the TOP of my list of hated food. See you next week at Women’s Conference!

Susan says:

Great interview, ladies! And you’ve got to know that this is my favorite food blog. Always easy and delicious.

Love the video!!! Congratties ladies. ;)

Ramona says:

Sooo cute

ruth says:

very cute !!! I would like to tell you something,my mom bought one day in paris a beautiful hand painted service from morroco(plates,dishes,bowls and other things) for 9 nine years we had it wrapped in the box and one day I said I wonder what for you bought that set we never use it so she said “get it out of the box”and we start using it and she was so happy,few months later she passed away and I put the set back in its box,I leave in spain and had to live the set in paris in my stepfather´s house because I cannot bring it on the plane.I know that with little children it´s not easy to have nice things around but I think you should use it for a nice romantic diner with your husband,when the kids are already sleeping and just enjoy the moment.Life is too short to keep things away and not enjoying them.And please don´t get me wrong ,I don´t mean to tell you what to do,it´s just a simple opinion.

Kim says:

Loved the video, you both make me so happy. Going to make the carrots on Saturday, I can always find a great idea for whatever I am planning just by looking at your blog. Thank you soooo much.

Katie says:

Oh, now I feel like I kind of know you. I mean, me and my friends talk about you and how much we love everything you cook, and anytime I need a recipe I always check here first, and on M, W, and F before I even check my email I check to see what you posted…so, now I just kind of feel like I know you better! :) The video was cute. You looked great!

Robin Barwacz says:

The video was great. It is so nice to hear AND see you both at the same time. Love your recipes and look forward to every new one you post. Thank you for the wonderful job you gals do. Take care and Happy Easter to you and your families.

I am DYING over the cuteness. LOVE IT!!

Adriann says:

LOVE the interview

Adorable! These are the cutest things ever.

Karen says:

I say break out the china. I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old and we use ours every so often when we have company and for holidays. Now granted the kiddos don’t use the china but the rest of us get to enjoy it.

Afton says:

You’ve inspired me! This will be the first Easter in several years where we won’t be celebrating with extended family. I’m pulling out the china for the first time in 15 years! (I wonder if new brides even get china anymore?)

ABrinkerhoff says:

It is so good to see you again-thanks for posting that video! You are a natural celebrity :)

Cari says:

Just got my big beautiful book in the mail!! I’m in love!! I see lots of yummy food in my families future!! I do know 1 Cox down here actually, Jason and Tara. Henderson is a gigantor place however so that would be crazy if that was one you were related to!!!

I love that you wrote about china. I am debating doing a photo project about china and the people who still own it and where they store it/how they use it. Because honestly, with the “china” available at target, and even people foregoing and just using disposable, I wonder about the politeness, the manners, that our society may be losing. Not everyone has the awesome memory you have, and most kids are not getting it. Anyway, sorry for the novel, I just wanted to thank you for making me return to the idea.

shafeena says:

Looks great :).. like carrots :) so cute love it

Carly says:

Love you girls. I watched the whole interview! So cute! You’re such a klutz Sara! haha.

And Sara you and Casey would get along great. He too loves fresh fajitas, so much so that I make it like twice a week because it never gets old (I love them too-HA yes! I said I LOVE them!)

Anyway, you girls are superb.

Suzanne says:

Great video and super cute napkins!!! I also have china sitting in a box- I’ve actually had it since I was 12 and never have used it. I keep thinking “someday” maybe we should all commit to using our china once this year! ;)

cwaltz says:

Heh, I’ve got 4 kids and even corelle isn’t safe with my crew. I’ve learned that my crew is rough and tumble and that’s okay with me. The dishes are less important then the moments created in the kitchen.

Your video was adorable-you should really watch it all the way through-it’s so cute! Thanks for all of your inspiration!!

Andrea says:

I’m sure I would figure this out as soon as I get the supplies, but…when you put down the cutlery and start rolling do you just start rolling from the bottom corner of the napkin, then keep rolling towards the middle once you get to the cutlery? Does this even make sense?

Ya, when you actually do it you’ll see how easy it is. You don’t really roll to get to the silverware like you’re asking. You just kind of fold the corner over the utensils and then keep on going. I promise when you do it, it will be super easy!

marlene says:

Hey….what happened to the comment I left on the 20th? It’s gone! I had commented on the fabulous little carrot napkins and how much I like this site that I just got introduced to. And I also said that ‘Life is short and break out the china!’…..the kids will learn that special things get special care, etc. Is that why I got deleted?? :o

Alli says:

the video was awesome! it was fun to get to meet you both- even with your kitchen bloopers- we all have them. for my mother’s birthday one year she had been requesting this apple crumb cake all year long. so i made it for her. but i grabbed whole wheat bread flour instead of cake flour. it was horrible. i don’t think the dog even ate it. my mom laughed all day long though- she thought it was hysterical.

Cindy says:

I love this idea, but I have to put in a plug for fancy china! Don’t wait until your boys are grown to use it! I have five kids (4 boys) from 10 down to 1 and we eat off of good china every day. On holidays and birthdays we go a little more fancy with crystal goblets and real silverware. Guess who has broken the most dishes…me, when they slip out of my hands as I’m rinsing them in my porcelain sink! Anyhow, the kids love sitting up to a nice table. It makes them excited for every meal–not just holidays. And how else are they going to learn how to use the good stuff if they never practice? I spend a good amount of time making delicious food. I want the presentation to show the love and effort that went into making it. I once heard a chef say, “You eat with your eyes first.” And it’s true. A beautifully set table just makes the food taste better, and paper plates and plastic silverware just aren’t the same no matter how cute and festive they are. Just my two cents…

Carie Bush says:

Hey Ladies,
    I didn’t know anything about you, until I was out in West this summer and a young saleswomen at Seagull Book recommended your Best Bites Cookbook. Can I just tell you that my family has LOVED everthing that I’ve made. Thanks for delicious recipes, that aren’t super hard to make. It’s definately my inspiration for good, homemade meals for our family of 5.
    The Charlotte Bush’s Thank YOU!!!! :)

Shaunnessy says:

Just as an FYI, ‘fine china’ is actually more durable then your everyday dishes.

Zann says:

Had a very odd experience this Christmas. I was in Walmart & saw your cookbook. I was drawn to it. Didn’t buy it. Every time I was in the store I was drawn back to that book. I finally broke down & bought it. Best. $20 ever spent when I saw a recipe for teriyaki sauce that has no onion! I am allergic to onion but LOVE teriyaki! And all the store bought ones have onion.

And as I am preparing to make these napkins my son looked at my monitor from across the room & asked if I was going to make carrots! Can’t wait to make these! (But now I have to as dinner is apparently ready.)

Leah Cusick says:

I love the video…and I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one who has stabbed a knife right in to their own foot, lol!

Leesa W says:

These are so cute! I just put some together for my son’s 1st birthday party. It’s a week before Easter this year, so we’re going with a springtime theme, complete with the Chick Cupcakes from the cookbook too! :)

[...] Napkin rolls by Our Best Bites, Carrot Chocolate covered strawberries by Handmade Charlotte,                         [...]

[...] ourbestbites.com viaAnnaleis @ Teapots and Tractors on [...]

cd says:

I so love your ideas, in a few months I need to host my daughter in laws baby showers. Any cute thoughts, she and my son are both Airman in the United States Airforce.

Cd

[…] ourbestbites.com via Rachel – on Pinterest Tag Easter, easter centerpiece, easter crafts, easter eggs, […]

[…] Easter Carrot Napkin Bundles via Our Best Bites […]

[…] If you’re not into cloth napkins, or you’re trying to keep things casual and easy for a huge group, try the paper napkin route and whip up these cute little bundles.  Cheap, easy, and disposable!  Click Here for the easy tutorial. […]