So we kind of have this unspoken rule around OBB that we don’t have recipes with Cream of Something soup in them.  And I totally adhere to that in my own cooking 99.9% of the time–it’s just not my thing, you know?  However, there are times and places and sometimes there are rules that need to be broken.  The time is now.  The place is here. I give you…Funeral Potatoes.

Believe it or not, “Funeral Potatoes” is not actually their technical name–it’s usually something like Cheesy Potato Casserole.  But these are often found served with ham on Easter dinner tables as well as luncheons following funerals which, shockingly, is how they got their name.

Since Easter is coming up and ham is often served at Easter, and since this is my favorite side dish for ham, I had to swallow my feelings about Cream of Something soups.  If you have a little extra time/motivation on your hands, you can always make Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup (make a half batch of the soup for the potatoes recipe), but honestly, these potatoes are so good and so easy and such great comfort food that I wholeheartedly recommend just popping open the can of soup.  C’mon, just one time won’t hurt, right?

So anyway…you’ll need a bag of shredded hash brown potatoes from the freezer section (thawed), a can of cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom if you’re going vegetarian), shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, an onion, a few cloves of garlic, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a little butter.

Preheat the oven to 350 and then, in a large skillet, melt a tablespoon or two of butter over medium heat.  Add a chopped onion and 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic and saute until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.

Remove the pan from heat and add the thawed hash browns…

some (okay, a lot of) sour cream…

the cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup…

and some (okay, a lot of) shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

Toss in some kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and then combine the ingredients well.  Spread them into a 9×13″ (or similarly sized) dish.

Now, there is a serious, relevant, and ongoing debate about whether or not Funeral Potatoes should have a crunchy topping.  I am firmly in the “no topping” camp–I love these because they don’t necessarily have to be served immediately and because they make awesome leftovers.  When a crunchy topping is involved, both of those virtues fly out the window because the topping gets soggy.  HOWEVER.  If you want a crunchy topping, you can add crushed cornflakes, seasoned bread crumbs, or even crushed saltines to the casserole before you bake it.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly throughout and the casserole is hot in the center.

You can serve this as a main dish (kind of like mac and cheese, right?) with a salad and fruit or serve it alongside pot roast, ham, or roasted chicken. The funeral is totally optional.

Christina says:

Oh- I could eat an entire pan of these myself!! Here is my topping two-bits. My mom, in a desperate situation, ended up throwing Honey Bunches of Oats on top and it has become our family’s secret weapon. So crunchy and yummy! Also, my MIL boils potatoes and then chunks them. Super yummy that way too! Now I can’t wait for Easter!!

perdita says:

Hi- we can’t get frozen shredded has browns in the UK. They look like grated potato with the excess water squeezed out- but are they raw or cooked? I guess with the over cooking I could do this with grated raw potato, what do you think? Thanks!

Perdita–Yep, they’re just grated potatoes! :) You can just parboil a few potatoes, peel them, push them through a food processor, then push out all the extra water. If you try it, let us know how it works! :)

• Stephanie says:

I have made these with boiling the potatoes then running them through the food processor. It was delicious but not worth the extra time. You have to be sure to let the potatoes completely cool prior to grating them. With the time it takes to boil, peel and clean up the food processor I find it’s a lot easier to buy a cheap brand of shredded potatoes because there is not that much flavor improvement for the extra work (and I was using fresh from the farm Idaho potatoes)

• Amy Rundstrom says:

I saw a super interesting way to par-cook shredded potatoes (thanks Lucinda Scala Quinn!) that ALSO prevented them from turning pink while you were shredding great piles of them. Shred them into a bowl of really HOT (not boiling, but close) water, then when they’re all shredded drain them and squeeze out the excess water.

Angela says:

I have just baked potatoes, peeled them and then grated them and they work just fine.

Amanda Pye says:

Hi there!
      I’m in the UK and I make Funeral Potatoes regularly! I used to parboil the potatoes and then grate them – such a faff! And SO MESSY!! Now I buy McCain’s Frozen Hash Browns and just let them thaw before I use them. They come in portioned ‘patties’ (like if you buy them for breakfast in McD’s!), but once they’re defrosted, I crumble them up with my fingers!

It works like a treat! :o)

Desirée Kastendieck says:

Do you have cubed hashbrowns? That’s what I always use for funeral potatoes.

Jill says:

Bake the potatoes, put them in the fridge, then shred them. Great way to make hashbrowns.

Janece says:

You need to cook them. You can boil whole potatoes for about an hour or until tender the whole way through, run cold water over them and let them cool. Peel and grate. Or I have used left over baked potatoes that you peel and grate as well. You will need about 10 potatoes.

Margo Trudeau says:

I’ve made this for years by baking the potatoes in the microwave and then grating them on a cheese grater. Personally, I think it tastes much better with the home-cooked potatoes than with the packaged hash brown potatoes.

lawyer says:

i just love potatoes especially french fry.

gscrapbooks says:

This looks delicious! I’m definitely adding them to my Easter menu. Thanks!

Casie says:

Oh my… these are one of my favorite potato dishes. We like them with extra “crispies”. Meaning, we like to let the edges and top get extra browned and crunchy! Topping is optional for me to. It’s great along side a grilled steak too!

Patti S says:

LOVE! I make these all the time. There my husband’s favorite.(they’re a great I-want-something weapon) My recipe only has 1 cup of sour cream, but increases the butter to 1/2 a cup! YUMMY!! Oh, and I never use canned cream of chicken soup either. I make my own substitute…it taste a lot better and I know what’s going into it. :)
    I think these are on the menu for this week…I’m needing a new sewing machine. ;)

Patti S says:

*they’re (coffee hasn’t kicked in to the spelling/grammar part of my brain yet)

I just made these yesterday and wrote a post for Tablespoon about them. So funny! They are good. I’m not sure if funeral potatoes is just Mormon lingo or not but that’s what we call them!

Jeanette says:

I love this recipe and often add bits of bacon or ham to it to make it more of a main dish. I always top mine with crushed ritz crackers.

YUMMY potatoes!

that’s what MY family calls this delicious treasure. I might just have to volunteer myself to make these for Easter this year.

I am seriously drooling right now – as in, all over my keyboard.

now i’m super hungry! hehe

If you need to make your own hash browns, I would recommend boiling the potatoes a bit first. If you grate raw potatoes, they turn color rather quickly and tend to taste gummy. If you grate potatoes that are boiled until they are about half cooked, they grate easily, you don’t need to squeeze out the water, and they are fluffier. Just my 2 cents.

I had NO IDEA these were the famous Funeral Potatoes! I only tried them a few years ago when a coworker brought them to our company Christmas party & I fell HARD for them!

The first time I made them myself I popped open a can of cream of celery by accident and decided to use it– it’s all I’ve used since. I also LOVE topping them with French’s Fried Onions. When I store leftovers I blend it all together and it just makes an extra oniony flavor– not soggy.

Lisa says:

I agree, cream of celery all the way! cream of chicken is just yuck, imo, and cream of mushroom gives a much different flavor. but cream of celery is perfection! Though I say the more corn flake topping the better! lol

These potatoes are one of my husband’s favorites!! I usually make them for Easter, but also for Father’s Day. Breakfast on Father’s Day. My husband always wants them served with french toast and sausage, it’s his favorite meal!!

I sometimes make a version with shredded cooked potatoes instead of frozen hash browns (not because I have a problem with convenience foods–trust me) and they are very good also!!

Hope you girls are doing well. xoxo :)

Kari says:

Do you think these would work in a slow-cooker?

I received my OBB cookbook last week and my family LOVED the bacon wrapped chicken kabobs. But really, how can you not love something wrapped in bacon?

Oooh, Kari, I’m inclined to think that you could, I just don’t know how long you’d need to cook them for. If you try it out, let us know what you discover! :)

• Patti S says:

I’ve done them in the crockpot before…I can’t remember how long though (I know not all day, maybe 4 hours on low?). The come out great. They do come out a little moister (soupier) when cooked in the crockpot. So if you like the crispy brown edge and crispy toppings stick with the oven.

• Becky says:

I do them in the crockpot for 4 hours on high. I also prefer them to be made with potatoes o’brien!!!! It makes such a huge difference. The plain potatoes taste kind of bland now, by comparison. I would skip the onion step. I just dump it all in a big bowl and stir it up. I’m actually making this tonight for dinner. It is the main thing by adding cubed black forest ham chunks to it. SOO good!

YUM! I personally prefer cubed potatoes over the hashbrown style, so if someone can’t find the hashbrowns or doesn’t have time, try that. They seem to have more substance…both really are SO good though!

PDotTreats says:

Everyone has their favorite version. Mine is with boiled cubed potatoes and topped with crushed Lays potato chips.

Erin says:

Nothing wrong with a little sinful potato dish every once in awhile!

Kari says:

These equal Grandma to me. She made these for every event! Fantastic!

Elisabeth says:

We’ve made this into more of a main dish by adding cubes of leftover ham straight in. It’s really good!

Holly says:

I needed this one last week when I was requested to make these for….a funeral luncheon.

I will squirrel this recipe away for the next time. Or, maybe just make it for a non-funeral event. :-)

Stephanie says:

Just wanted you to know I just wrote up a quick review on my blog about your cookbook! It is amazing and I love it!

Delicious! I make these and my family goes crazy. I like using crushed cheese Ritz for the top. Thanks for posting – I love your site!

Adriann says:

So glad you let us know the funeral was optional. I was a little worried there for a minute! =). I’m a non-crunchy topping person myself, but I DO liberally sprinkle extra cheese on top before baking. Can’t have too much cheese, right?

sara brown says:

Hey just saw your front page article in the Daily Universe and it looked great!

Kara says:

I love these. I’m excited you have a recipe now because any time I’d make them (like the two times I’ve made them) I’d have to search and search and search for a recipe. Lol.

Colleen says:

I make this a lot as a side- I use cubes potatoes instead of the shredded potato though! I’m also a crispy toppings kind of girl- I oddly don’t mind them for leftovers!

I love this dish..we choose to call it cheesy potato casserole..We’re the crunchy topping camp with crushed Ritz crackers or Kelloggs Corn Flakes.:) Happy Wednesday!

Lorena says:

I love to sprinkle a thin layer of Panko breadcrumbs onto, just the right amount of crunch.

Trish W. says:

I love this dish! I have also made it with tater tots or crispy crowns.

Jen O says:

These also work great with leftover baked potatoes that we’ve cubed up or grated into hash browns (I’m lazy though, so cubed is usually faster). :) LOVE these potatoes. Yummmmm….

Love this recipe. One of the few I use cream of something in as well (this one and tuna noodle casserole because my husband loves it for comfort food). My step mom started calling it cheesy hashbrown casserole because every time she said funeral potatoes one of us would point out that they will kill ya. But what a way to go!

Kandice says:

I love potato casserole! Ours is pretty similar, with a few changes…we do use a crunchy topping (cornflake crumbs), but ours never gets soggy. I think it’s because we go the extra step and actually BUY a box of Cornflake Crumbs. Anytime I’ve tried crushing the cereal myself…it’s gross. But the boxed crumbs are perfect, and they stay crunchy even for a week after. We also mix the crumbs with melted butter before putting them on, so they get nice and toasted in the oven.

The only other change is that we use green onions instead of yellow or white. They add a really great kick to the flavor. And you’re right…it’s the BEST side for a ham!

Dacia says:

We use cornflakes with the butter too! We don’t even crush them. I think it might be my favorite part of the casserole! I also sometimes throw in some cayenne, just enough that my kids don’t notice, and parsley from our garden.

Brenda says:

How did you ever discover they stay crunchy for an entire week? These never last past a couple of days at my house!

I’ve grown up on these! I’ve never used pre-packaged hashbrowns before. I’ve always boiled whole potatoes, cooled them, and then shredded. I can see how using pre-made would be a huge time saver though!

Pat B. says:

This sounds YUMMY, but can we change the name to “POT LUCK POTATOES” ? LOL!

Michele N says:

lol, this is a great recipe and I think that the canned cream of soup is okay in moderation, it really does add a lot of flavor easily and you can use the reduced fat/sodium kinds as long as you use the name brand and they’re still good. I use it in my easy pot pie recipe too. I also think it’s funny that you never thought of them for breakfast. We go down to SLC for work meetings every 3 months and we stay in a hotel right next to a Cracker Barrel, the first time I went there for breakfast I asked one of my coworkers who had been there before, what the hashbrown casserole was and her reply “do you know what funeral potatoes are?” lol, they are everywhere and yes everyone has their own version. A dear friend of mine always makes her version of scalloped potatoes for our Scout troops Christmas dinner, this last year she gave us the recipe and I think it’s very similar. Her’s are the only scalloped potatoes I’ve ever liked. I need to go find that recipe now…

Debbie says:

I don’t wait for a special occasion to make these yummy potatoes. For my family of 3, I will mix up a whole batch, bake 1/2 and put the other 1/2 unbake in a ziplock freezer bag. That way I have some for another dinner. When ready to use, just thaw and bake as usual. They are just as good.

Roseann RussoOswald says:

I put french fried onions in the mix and then on top just before they are done

These are seven million times better if you use fresh potatoes, boil them, cool them and grate them! Gotta love funeral potatoes. I talk about them on my blog a lot and people that aren’t from Utah have a hard time understanding how amazing they are!

“The funeral is optional” hahaha!

1. I can’t believe you broke our cream-of-something soup streak.
    2. It’s totally worth it for funeral potatoes- and I wouldn’t use anything else, even homemade! The can is a must.
    3. My recipe is exactly the same except I include an entire stick of melted butter. Hahaha- that can only improve it, right?? lol

Kimalee says:

Love these potatoes, but I love to add a little bit of ranch to these it just gives it a little kick!! GREAT JOB on the new website I love it!!!

Until I started participating in the blogging world I had never heard this potato casserole called “Funeral Potatoes”. But even with the cream of ‘what?’ soup these potatoes are such comfort food to me!

Jolynn says:

Yum! We call them patio potatoes.

Nicole says:

I love funeral potatoes! I get a craving for them at least once a month. I do use a topping, but it’s not crunchy, so it’s works well in the leftovers. We just melt butter and mix that with the corn flake crumbs and put it on top. I don’t like to use the shredded hash browns though. I prefer the cubed ones. I had a roommate that refused to use store bought hash browns, so when we made it, she insisted we boil the potatoes and shred them. It worked great.

Kristin Macri says:

Ha ha! Where I am from we call these wedding potatoes! They are so yummy whatever you call them!

Emily B. says:

I just found your blog yesterday after seeing your Mormon Moms in the Kitchen cookbook on Amazon, so I got a bit of a giggle seeing a funeral potatoes recipe here this morning. Funeral potatoes are the ultimate Mormon moms recipe. :)

Seriously, though, I love these potatoes. I pretty much only have them on Christmas and Easter (unless there’s a funeral…), so they’re not only a comfort food but also associated with good times with my family. And they’re delicious! I use cream of celery soup in mine.

Hillary says:

Funeral Potatoes!!! LOL! We call this hashbrown casserole!!!!! Like from cracker barrel!!! I love it! French’s Fried Onions go well as the topping, too… lol :-)

Bethany says:

I love me some “Yummy potatoes” as we call them in our family, though I can’t do it with frozen hashbrowns, YUCK! Has to be freshly boiled potatoes grated! I grate them in my Bosch cheese grater but used to do it by hand because it’s that important! We also use a whole stick of butter and make sure those onions are golden brown, it gives the best flavor to it! I have used dried onion soaked in water for 10 minutes then saute and it well too if you don’t have fresh around. Can you tell this is my comfort food! LOL! So glad it made it on your site!

Jenny Shumway says:

We love these at our house too. I add a shake or two of rubbed sage into the mix…yummy!

Peggy says:

I take all the wet ingredients and melt them together in a pot and then pour over the potato mix. I know – another pan to wash but it seems to make the potatoes a lot creamier. And I am definitely a no topping person.

Thanks, Kate. We were “dying” for this one to be posted :)

MrsD says:

We call these “Texas Taters” and use Southern Hashbrowns (the cube-shaped kind) rather than grated. My college-age daughter asks for these EVERY time she’s home and we send a container mixed, but not baked, back with her every time.

Stacy says:

Sorry…I still can’t do the cream of… soup LOL! I usually just add in some plain ole’ cream to ease the mixing. Yeah, not a low fat alternative, but it works. ;) These are so good. Now I’m craving them!

Erin A says:

This looks like my mom’s recipe, except she adds in green onions. I have to admit, cream of soups are like my best friend.

Marin D says:

It’s so funny because last night I happened to stop on Paula’s Best Dishes on TV and she was making a version of funeral potatoes but with crushed potato chips on top. I thought, oh no, you need corn flakes. LOL. I just scrape them off on my leftovers. :o) I love these!

Beth Hills says:

For the love of all that’s holy! I just gained five pounds reading your post! Love this dish. My mom would always end up cutting up leftover Easter ham and mixing it in with the potatoes.

krista jo says:

gotta love the classic funeral potatoes :)

Also, I got your cookbook for my birthday and I am in love! Love your blog and the book . . . you guys are awesome!

Rebecca says:

Hahaha. I just got finished recommending your blog to a few friends during lunch, saying, “It has a good balance between easy and healthy. Like they don’t use canned soups.” I get back to my desk and see this recipe. Oops. At least it is easy and tasty.

Melanie says:

I love this recipe but have to say it is so much better with fresh potatoes. Just boil, peel and shred and they have so much more flavor and the texture is divine! A little more work but since the rest of the recipe is so easy I think it is definitely worth it! Love your site and just got your cookbook…so great!

Melissa says:

I adore funeral potatoes. I have a friend whose family calls them sunshine potatoes instead. Either way, they are delicious! I have made them in the crockpot before for the post-church lunch. I was actually really crunched for time so I mixed them up, put them into the crockpot, threw the whole thing in my deep freeze and then that night before I went to bed I threw them into the base and cooked them on low all night. It worked like a charm.

Julie Neff says:

I’ve seen a few variations of this recipe before. I seem to remember the last one I tried having you cook the hash browns before mixing it all up and putting in the oven. Do the potatoes get cooked enough in 60 min so they aren’t too crunchy and raw tasting? I hope so, because this would be a lot easier!

I love this dish. I didn’t know it as “funeral potatoes” until my mid 20s, though. My mom’s recipe literally has about a pound of butter in hers!! So this one will be much healthier. (or that’s what I’ll tell myself!) I am also in the camp of the crunch on the top in the form of cornflakes, of course doused in more butter! I think I’ll try this recipe instead of mom’s this Easter. Thanks!

Domestic Diva North says:

So funny, my husband’s family all love these and I had never even heard of them before joining the church! I still would way rather have scalloped potatoes but I have come to enjoy these for what they are :)

adrienne says:

Oh, yay!! I’ve just discovered you guys recently and so far you’re 3 for 3 with the recipes I’ve tried! I will definitely be trying this one out. It’s so funny because my hubby is not a big fan of cream-of-soups, but this is one of his favorite dishes and he’s been requesting it! This just may be what it takes to convince him that you two ladies are full of wisdom and that I NEED your book!

Stephanie says:

ha- i thought maybe the “funeral” part came from the fact that this recipe calls for so much cheese, sour cream, and creamed soup; seems like a heart attack in a casserole dish! at any rate, it sounds like a VERY DELICIOUS way to die. and for my last meal i might as well go nuts and add bacon and scallions. ;-p

Susan says:

I love every version of these I have tried, probably because of all the cheese LOL. I’ll use what I have on hand, they don’t care, they turn out great every time.

Ann S says:

We call these Picnic Potatoes in my neck of the wood…

Kara says:

Mmmmm. MUST have cornflake topping though (and lots of it!). Love these.

mrs.littlet says:

These are a staple in our family. We love them. My mom always adds a can of diced green chilies (drained). Subtle but delicious addition:) We love your site and can’t get enough of your great recipes. THANKS

Tanya Hein says:

I just tried these for the first time earlier this week, although the recipe was called Party Potatoes. Super yummy and the whole family loved them.

I recently discovered a site that has recipes for various homemade ‘cream of’ and ‘cheddar’ soup substitutes. Really worth the changeover!

Rivki Locker says:

All that wonderful looking cheese definitely makes up for the canned soup! Looks delicious.

Gayle Price says:

I was so shocked to see this because this is MY funeral potato casserole as well! (Also family reunions which are strangely similar) Mine have a crushed cornflake and butter topping and I use square hashbrowns. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve taken this to church and it always gets eaten. Never a bite to take back. Guess comfort food is universal in some way!

Malesa says:

I’m so glad that you are making sure that the world has this recipe. We ate this just last week with ham and I was thinking that it’s such a pity that I don’t make them more!

Marty says:

I love these potatoes–have been making them for years. What I don’t understand though, is why would you need to add any salt? That can of soup has more than enough flavor–and sodium.

B Fryman says:

One of our favorite recipes ! (We don’t use garlic, though.)
    Just wanted to let you know that I linked to you from my blog today!

my copy of your cookbook came today!!! I was so excited to see the Fedex guy. It is amazing! I especially love the Rollovers index, that is so incredibly helpful! I wish all cook books had that! I have already integrated a bunch of the recipes into my weekly menus, can’t wait to try more of them!
    Thanks!!!

Sheryl says:

I love these!! We call them “church potatoes” or “cheesy potatoes”. One awesome thin about these is that they freeze pretty well after baking. I’ll make a pan and freeze leftovers for another meal. You can either heat them in the microwave or in the oven in a small casserole dish. We also make ours without onion since we have onion-sensitive family members and they taste just as good.

Amy says:

I love these!!! Sometimes I like to crunch up cornflakes and put them on top and then drizzle the cornflakes with melted butter before baking.

Paige Brunt says:

we LOVE funeral potatoes. sometimes we go all-out and make the potatoes ourselves by cooking them and grating them. which makes it delicious. but also so delicious with the hash browns. we call them “yummy potatoes” in my family

Deborah says:

Oh no! You can’t have these without crushed cornflakes and butter on top. It’s almost sacrilegious. ;)

Debbie says:

Another easy way to make these … if you’ve got to have the “real” potatoes … is to buy the “Simply Potatoes”. They are in a dark green bag and are precooked REAL potatoes! I usually find them by the eggs, etc. I also make mine in the crockpot. Just throw everything in stir it up and cook on low. They taste great!

Hayl says:

I love potato casserole, but only with a crunchy topping! we use anything from corn flakes to ritz crackers to crushed cheese-itz…mixed with butter of course! if you want the topping to be crunchy the next day, just warm the left over casserole in the microwave (yep, go ahead and use the microwave, after all, you are reheating creamed soup, sour cream, and tons of cheese, a little radiation isnt going to kill you!) then pop it under the broiler for a couple minutes (watch closely). Tah-Dah, crunchy leftovers!

Krista van Langen says:

There are so many variations of this recipe I have seen. The one I grew up on uses potatoes that have been boiled until they’re soft and then riced (or you can mash them, but ricing them makes the end product creamier). I have tried both kinds but prefer them with the riced potatoes because they are much creamier and smoother than if you use hash browns. You can also try them with green onion instead of regular onion.

Mary says:

We call these Church Potatoes because well, you always see them at funeral luncheons.
    Now I have made these with the crunch topping and frozen the whole dish, and when put into the oven, and baked the topping was just as good as if I had just mixed everything together that day.

Amy @DYKTMP? says:

OMG! I love this recipe. My mom’s friend brought these over once when we were kids for Sunday brunch and I LOVED IT! I begged her to write down the recipe because I needed my mom to make it for me everyday. She was good about making it for me but as the years went on she stopped. I had forgotten about this recipe until just now!! Thank you! I’m making this tomorrow. HURRAY!!!

Lonna says:

When I make these we have to use “real” potatoes. I boil them until tender, peel and grate. This makes them really creamy. I also add green onions and we have to put the cornflakes on top mixed with melted butter. This is what we have every year on Christmas day.

Sally says:

I’ve always known that I love you girls, but could never pin point the exact reason why. Now I know. It’s because you don’t use cream of whatever soup in your recipes. I keep it in my pantry for food storage, but rarely ever use it. I just might have to dust off one of my cans though and try this for Easter.

I thought it was so funny you call them Funeral potatoes because I grew up always knowing them as Wedding potatoes…what a different mindset!

Rachel Loud says:

I made these tonight for dinner! We only had colby jack cheese so I hope they turn out ok. Thanks so much for this! We haven’t had a funeral in my ward since we’ve been here( thank goodness) but I didn’t know who to ask for this recipe!! Thanks so so much!!!

Brittany says:

Oh my goodness! I’ve died and gone to heaven! I love me some funeral potatoes! But, I’ve gotta have the corn flakes on top!

tina w. says:

I was going to make these for a potluck at work one day and I saw a recipe that called for crushed corn flakes on top. It wasn’t until they were baking that I realized that I had accidentally used frosted flakes! It was a breakfast potluck so I decided to just pass them off as breakfast potatoes!

Melanie says:

I usually use rice krispies or any kind of chex cereal that I happen to have on hand. .it usually stays crunchy!! Wonderful recipe for sure!

When they serve these at school, they call them party potatoes. It is very funny that you used the soup today. Just yesterday my husband asked me what was different about your recipes, and I told him they don’t use soups as the base of everything. Love everything I have made from your website!

Sandy Vincent says:

Oh. My. Goodness! We have jokingly called these potatoes “funeral potatoes” at our house! This exact same recipe was made for funeral dinners at our church. They are Soooooo good! I never even knew the real name for them, we’ve always called them funeral potatoes!

Rachel says:

Mmmm mmmmm good! I love these potoates!

April says:

These are an Easter must for us too. I know I got the recipe from my sister but she uses shredded hash browns and I always use the cubed ones. My husband never liked them because he hated the cornflake, butter topping. I started leaving it off and topping it with freshly grated parmiagiano reggiano and he loves them now. I also use cream of celery instead of chicken because the little fatty pieces of chicken gross me out. I also use the potatoes still frozen.

Kelli says:

Oh dear. I was going to make Au Gratin Potatoes for Easter dinner, but these look so much yummier and easier. Decisions! Decisions! And about the crunchy topping – my aunt uses potato chips on hers. I don’t know if they get soggy or not because there’s never any leftovers.

My other exceptions to the creamy soup thing are tater-tot casserole and broccoli cheese casserole. I guess it’s a cheesy casserole thing?

Katherine says:

I am 5th generation Mormon, and I WILL NOT make funeral potatoes!! But I love your web site. Use the healthier recipes all the time.

Martha says:

This name just cracks me up. At our house, we have “funeral soup” — something that I seem to make almost everytime someone dies and I need to bring something to the family. Love your blog and recipes!!

Karen says:

When I’ve got only crumbs of any Dorito-type taco chips, etc. I bag them up and eventually use a rolling pin to make them into a crumb topping. This is wonderful on top of any version of the potatoes. Gives it a bit of zing!

I make “funeral potatoes” pretty often, although I’ve never called them that. Funny name! We make these at Christmastime in place of masked potatoes. And this is my favorite dish to take to a potluck event. So quick and easy and it always gets eaten.
    Jennifer

LMcBurney says:

I have seen many versions of this dish in the last year or so…weird…but I have never ever ever seen it referred to as Funeral Potatoes! LOL! Good food, bad name.

These looks so good. This is my favorite side with ham! It is getting me all excited for Easter dinner.

Kris Hackbart says:

I’m so glad that the funeral is optional! I’m planning on making these for Easter!

This is a favourite at our house with ham and homemade baked beans (although we don’t associate it with dead people – we call it Cottage Potatoes). Like you, I think there’s a time and place for canned soup in recipes. This is one of them. :) I also love that it’s so easy, feeds a crowd and can be made ahead of time.

teresa says:

Theres nothing like good old funeral potatoes…. they seem to come out quite often when our family gets together.
    Love them

We call them Mormon Potatoes or Funeral Potatoes – and everyone calls them YUMMO! I also agree that they must be served as a side dish with Spiral Ham. I make mine slightly different – throw the frozen shredded hash browns in a 9×13. Then heat just the sauce (butter, onions, garlic, cheese, sour cream, & cream of mushroom). Once heated, pour over frozen hashbrowns & mix together. I also agree that the topping is not great for leftovers, so we usually only put the topping (cornflakes) on 1/2.

Vicky says:

For a main dish, I put diced ham in them and sprinkle French Fried Onions on top. It is awesome.

Diane Durfee says:

I make these all the time! LOVE THEM! I always requested from my Mom after I had a baby! :) We use boiled potatoes cubed and cream of celery soup! These are going on next weeks menu!

Terri Moore says:

My mom makes the BEST funeral potatoes I have ever had. Since I have been spoiled for so long… everytime I try someone elses it just never compares… Her secret is red potatoes. They stay moist. The other biggest complaint I have of other funeral potatoes I have tried is being undercooked. I am sure your version is super yummy since I have never made one of your recipes that I didn’t like. THANKS for all the great recipes… :)

Marielle says:

We like to call these “CELEBRATION POTATOES”. For the longest time we called them funeral potatoes as well, but then we realized even a funeral is a good family get together and ‘”funeral potatoes” sounds so dreadful. But, same yummry recipe we all love! :)

Melissa says:

YES! I had these before!!! It was AWESOME!!! I saw it, and I thought “that looks disgustingly amazing, filled with butter, sour cream, cheese, and carbs. I MUST try it!” And I did, and then and there, My life was changed forever. I remember coming home and telling my mom (who LOVES cream of chicken soup, which I hate, but these are worth it!) how I must make this. But I didn’t have a recipe. But now, I do! This blog is everything I love in a blog! I love you guys!

Anna says:

I don’t know about other people, but I have the unfortunate tendency when I make a recipe that turns out great to decide that it should become our traditional ______ (Easter, Christmas, whatever) breakfast/dessert/appetizer. I value tradition and just got married so am trying to start some of my own. This recipe has sadly fallen into that trap. I made it the first time 4 1/2 years ago, shortly after my husband and I met (only change is I don’t use onions but do use parmesan on top) and decided it should be Christmas morning breakfast because it’s SO good and SO easy. I have dutifully made it for Christmas morning every year since, and we love it, but that means I don’t make it the rest of the year because I want it to be “special.” Sigh! In any case, I am also not a big fan of canned soups but use it for this recipe because it’s wonderful :o)

Becky ames says:

In my cookbook they call these “Sinful Potatoes” because they truly are that good!

Jessica says:

Just saw Jennifer M’s post and I’m laughing because our family calls these Yummy Potatoes too! My mom’s tweaked the recipe – I don’t think she can NOT tweak a recipe – and we NEVER leave out the buttery cornflake topping. Can’t wait for Easter now!

Marilyn says:

I was once writing down my menu for a meal and I abbreviated funeral potatoes as “fun. potatoes”. One of my kids looked at the menu and asked “What are fun potatoes?” I’ve called them Fun Potatoes ever since!

Di says:

This is also a family favorite that we have loved forever! I promise, they are so much better with fresh grated potatoes. Sure it requires a little extra time (boiling, peeling, then grating them in my cuisinart. It is so worth the extra time! They taste amazing!
    LOVE your cookbook!

Vanessa says:

I just need to know what is wrong with “Cream of” soups???

There’s nothing wrong with them! :) They definitely have their place. But sometimes they can be overused as sauce/gravy when there are better/fresher alternatives out there.

Bethany says:

OMG! My family calls this dish funeral potatoes too! I didn’t know this was an official name. :)

Alexandra Bowser says:

Looks delicious, going to try making it with fat free sour cream, low fat cheese, and low fat condensed soup (watching my figure). Hoping the swaps work, because I think my family will love it!

Natalie B says:

I always use low fat soup, and sometimes use low fat sour cream. They turn out great! You can’t even tell!! I am not a personal fat of low fat cheese- I think it melts terribly, but you could try it. Anything to cut down on fat and calories, huh! Good luck!

Karen says:

Curse you OBB! I actually had to take the pan off the table so we’d stop eating them!

Nemiha says:

My MIL puts both cheese and Regular potatoes chips on hers holy heck they are fantastic!

Kirsti Saatela says:

These are so delicious and smell so yummy that I made that huge mistake of sticking the fork in them as soon as they came out. My mouth had to then deal with my bad discussion! These are definitely amazing! My mom decided that they are funeral potatoes because they are to die for!!! I have a recipe from my boyfriends mom that are similar, but I think these are my favorite, something about the shredded hash browns make them my fav! (also her recipe had the crunchy cereal topping, and no onions or garlic and garlic is a fav. The more the better!)

Shandra says:

Well, being from Idaho, I have eaten these many times and used about every kind of potato to make them and come out delicious!!! Although I add onion powder to mine. When we have to make team lunches or dinners this is what my son always requests us to volunteer to bring. I have used frozen tator tots, french fries, country style hashbrowns. You can pretty much use any form of potatoe as long as it is cooked first. Don’t use raw, something about the cream won’t them them cook through and you end up with crunchy potatoes.

Shandra says:

My Dad retired from Hungry Jack and fed these potatoes to the new product departement for a suggestion for a new product and they loved them but couldn’t figure out how to make them into an instant casserole like the other ones. They just did quite taste the same. Some one should figure it out they would make a million.

Katie says:

So, after living in Utah for 7 years and never hearing of this dish until I’ve lived here, I decided to try them tonight…paired with oven baked fried chicken and some fruit (I think)…

lo and behold, I go to my pantry and reach for Cream of Chicken…and I’m out!! *gasp* I can’t remember the last time I was out of COC. So, I pulled out some cheese soup stuff and decided to use that instead…I’m crossing my fingers…my husband gets a little weirded out when I improvise…

Tessy Fuller says:

I make these in the crock pot and call them crock pot potatoes (though we do serve them at a lot of funerals) I use cream of celery soup instead of cream of chicken.

Kari says:

Update – I made these in a slow cooker yesterday and got creamy, cheesey goodness.

Megan says:

Just wanted to add my two cents. These were AMAZING! Our family had a big party to celebrate my sister getting sealed to her husband on Saturday. They were a huge hit! Though because the celebration was a happy one, they dubbed the potatoes as “Celestial Potatoes” because “that way they are happier.” Thanks so much!!!!!!

Beckie says:

I have been searching for a good funeral potato recipe and this is it!! We all loved it (my 14 year old daughter even went back for seconds). Next time I think I will cut back on the onion and garlic but otherwise very, very good.

Denna says:

I’m out of sour cream, can I use more creamed soup instead?

You *could* Denna- the flavor definitely wouldn’t be the same, and you miss out on a creamy-tanginess from the sour cream, but it would bake up just fine. If you have a store near by I’d run and get some sour cream! But if you’re really in a pinch, go ahead and add more soup.

Lynette says:

“and church kitchens around America,” I love that line. So true. And my husband would just love me to make anything from your site since 99.9% doesn’t have cream of something soup in it. That’s all I knew how to do for about the first year of our marriage…so I’m rethinking the cooking around here. Totally going to check other stuff out! I’m making your fauxtissere chicken tonight!

Katie says:

These are one of my faves, but I say NEVER USE REAL POTATOES!! Always use frozen hashbrowns! The real potatoes break down and just aren’t “right”. And we go for the crushed corn flakes on our. Yum – I might have to make these this weekend!

Cynthia says:

Just FYI… Trader Joes makes an all natural cream of Portobello mushroom soup! It’s my safe “go to cream of” soup! Wait… Do you guys have Trader Joes?! Not sure where you are!

George Weight says:

I was excited about your blog after seeing your interview on BYUTv, and went immediately on line to check it out. But one of the first things I find is that you’ve joined the motly crowd who insists on calling one of my favorites by the unfortunate, undesirable, morbid (all the negative adjectives apply) cognomen of FUNERAL potatos.

I feel so strongly about it that I’ve written a poem deriding the pratice of mislabeling this tasty dish. I’ve even given my family orders that, at my wake, if they must call them by other than their real name–CHEESY potatos–that they pick something less ghastly and gruesome. I may even print placards for my luncheon–”This here’s a picnic, and these are PICNIC potatos!”

Okay, with that out of the way, I’ll get on to enjoying the rest of your blog. It looks great, and I hope you’ll overlook my one not-so-slight objection, to continue your good work.

Incidentally, are there any plans to post nutritional facts to your recipes?

Kelly says:

Love this recipe. I’m all about the (non-crushed) corn flake topping. The crushed cornflakes don’t even seem crispy to me. One thing I think is funny, is that no one EVER called these funeral potatoes (that I can remember, anyway) where I grew up. My whole ward (stake maybe?) called them “Divine Potatoes.” Maybe it’s a California thing? Anyone else call them that?

In the original recipe the potatoes are baked with the jackets on, cooled, peeled and cubed. You can put any kind of potatoes in the recipe you want. I also have never heard of cooking the onion and the garlic, but that is a great idea. I think the Honey Bunches of Oats is a great idea and I am going to try that too. Thanks for all the suggestions to this timeless treasure that all my mom, sisters, grandma’s, MIL, relief society ladies (did I miss anyone?) have made until they are sure that they can make it in their sleep! It is going on my Easter dinner table tomorrow. :)

Nik says:

If you use Panko for the crunchy topping, it stays crispy even after being stuck in the fridge and reheated in the microwave. ;)

Kara says:

Maybe I’m the only person who hasn’t actually made these (although I LOVE them and have had them several times), but I wasn’t sure when to put my topping on. It wasn’t ever really specified. Is it better to put them on and let it bake with the topping on it, or put it on the last few minutes, or at the very end? I just kind of made my own up, but I read the recipe part like 4 times to make sure I hadn’t missed something.

Kristine says:

First–the name is so appropriate. When our dear beloved 18 year old nephew died in a car accident he was buried in Utah. We fully expected various varieties of funeral potatoes but were disappointed to be served baked potatoes. We all talked about how our beloved nephew would have been offended that he wasn’t served funeral potatoes. Every time we eat these potatoes (and so many other times) we think of him. Was served some horrible weird potatoes at an aunt’s funeral in Utah though. We only use boiled and shredded potatoes (no frozen ones at our place), cream of celery is quite yummy too! And absolutely no topping–so weird—just potatoes, butter (about a cup melted), sour cream, soup, salt, pepper and tons of cheese!!! But oh are they so yummy and so comforting. No offense at the title—they remind us of family, friends, and comfort. Can’t get better than that!

Karen says:

I also call this dish Yummy Potatoes. As a topping, I crush Ritz crackers mixed with melted butter. Sprinkle on top, bake, delicious.

Ang says:

How much time do I need to plan on for letting the hash browns thaw? And do you just thaw them in fridge? Thanks!

I just put mine in the fridge overnight. If I forget, then I just leave them out on the counter for a couple of hours, or give them a little nuke in the microwave :)

Hellann says:

Going to have to try these! Lots of different ways… =)
    My mom made somthing similar.. Using mashed potatoes, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, shredded cheese and cooked bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. Then bake. Puffs up and gets so yummy. =)

Paula Camp says:

This is the kind of recipe that I LOVE to play with. Go to a lot of potlucks and sometimes I’ll make this with turkey sausage crumbles…which was a BIG hit…or add half a can of chopped green chiles! That is great too! Here in Texas, we like things on the spicy side…so after draining off most of the liquid from a can of diced tomatoes and green chiles, adding half that can to the potato mixture is another variation I like to do! And adding a topping is almost a must! Would sort of be like eating a cake without the frosting! Being a diabetic, I do try to be smart and use the “smart” soups that are more nutritious and the addition of the chiles or the turkey sausage crumbles make smaller portions more satisfying!

Anna Bryngelson says:

Does anyone know if I can assemble this the night before needed and bake off the next day? Thanks!

Kim says:

I read through all the comments looking for this exact answer. Did you try it? Can you make it ahead?

Debi says:

I’ve made these for years but I use Ore-Ida Potatoes O’Brian. The added peppers and onions make it have a little more taste and the cubed potatoes seem to hold up better!!

Y4LYFE says:

It’s always a shame when great comfort foods get such sad names. Funeral, Mac, Root…etc

Daniell says:

Can I Substitute the shredded potatoes for tater tots? and also, what is the best topping? corn flakes, or potato chips?

angie.a says:

These have always been a favorite at our house on holidays too. We’ve always called these “Church Potatoes”. I’ve got a school luncheon today (I’m a teacher) and I’m going to try a crock pot method I found. I’ll let you know how it works!

Also, when I was a student teacher, my mentor made a version of these that I’ve never seen anywhere else. You substitute a tub (or two depending on your finished casserole size) of Philadelphia Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese for the cheddar, and cubed O’Brian potatoes (from the freezer) for the hash browns. Everything else is the same. A-Mazing. The flavor is different, but it’s still that yummy creamy goodness you expect from a potato casserole. Sometimes when I’m asked to bring “church potatoes” I’ll switch it up and bring these instead.

Nonna says:

I do not like sour cream. Can I sub something else or leave it out?

Joleen says:

Is it possible to make this in a crockpot? I’m in a bit of a time bind this coming weekend for my family dinner. Do you know for how long I would do that for?

Thanks!

Annemarie says:

I use the hash browns that are cubed or real potatoes. I recently used Rice Krispies for the topping. We were scrapping the pan by the end of the night.

Sue Scroggins says:

If you can’t find hash brown potatoes then just do wat we do to mark our hash browns in a lot of restaurants .when you bake potatoes the next time bake a few extra. After the have been in the fridge over night,just peel and shred. That is where hash browns got their name, cause all you have to do is brown them, they are already cooked.

Y4LYFE says:

This sounds weird, but trust me. Salt n’ Vinegar crips…or chips (american) smash em up on top. It’s awesome.

I tried to see if anyone else used my topping, but didn’t have time to read all 191 comments!!! my topping is French onion, the dehydrated ones. I use some in the casserole for extra flavor, and more on top instead of corn flakes. we love this much better!! we have made this for years also, if it is for a holiday or picnic, one casserole is never enough, have to make 2, if they don’t all get eaten, someone will always take the leftovers home, they fight over them!!!

Joyce says:

I make a casserole just like this..mine is called Shwartzies Hash brown casserole. I make the odd change……I’m not fond of sour cream so I just add an extra can of cream soup…( any kind is fine ) I’ve used Cream of chicken, broccolli or mushroom . I do cut back on the cheese…..I use lots of onion. I don’t use the shredded hash browns…I use the hash browns that are in peices…so much better. Thaw them before you mix it up.You can make
    this ahead and freeze it. Just bring it out ahead of time so it can start thawing. Everyone loves it with ham…and there is hardly ever any leftovers. It’s a wonderful dish for a pot luck…..I do not put any crunchy topping on…I don’t think it needs it.

BECKY BERGSTROM says:

The name Funeral Potatoes just made me laugh and laugh, since I have a recipe book my family calls The Death Book. (My mom thinks that is just horrinle!) It’s where I keep all the recipes my family loves the most, with all my ingredient changes and alterations, along with notes on which variations each familymember favors the most. You know, the recipes everyone wishes they had gotten after someone passes away!

Angie Thompson says:

I am so happy to find this recipe, I had them a few years ago for the first time at a funeral. Didn’t know what they were called but have been looking for a recipe ever sense. It was made with frozen shoestring french fries instead of hashbrowns. That maybe the reason I couldnt find a recipe. Never would of thought to look for funeral potatoes. I am also impressed by your site. Will definately visit again. Thanks for sharing

Connie says:

I cannot do the creamed soup as I am very allergic to MSG. I just use a brick of cream cheese thinned with a little milk to the consistency of creamed soup. I add fresh ingredients for the “flavor” of the soup.

Karen Bauer-Adams says:

I’ve made this several times & I can honestly say it is SO MUCH BETTER if you ADD 1-1 1/2 Cups of diced/cubed ham. It’s good without it, but it’s so much better with it! Try it, you’ll like it! I also sauteed my onions before adding them to the recipe as I don’t want the “crunchy” onion texture. I also topped mine with the French’s French Fried Onions & browned them for about the last 5-7 minutes of baking time. SO YUMMY!!

Beth says:

Your cream of soup rule is one I also often adhere to; but this is the one dish I break it for. I love these for Christmas, Easter, and the occasional other special dinner.

Anne says:

You could add ham to this (or bacon) to give it some more protein & make it more of an entree item.

jdftn1947 says:

what I love about these . they can be doubled if feeding a crowd . also I buy store brand hash browns .. . as I shop aldi this can be a good deal for a crowd and its a great thing with steak . have found both men and women want the recipe and want more . so I always double the recipe and two pans of it .
    and if you take it to a potluck or any kind of gathering . print out a few copies of the recipe because someone will be asking for it . also I always have a business card with my email address on it for those who dont know it . and I write on the back . what its about . anyway thanks for the great recipes
    Jim

Luv2Qlt says:

I doubled the recipe (for a family gathering) and used a can of cream of mushroom soup and a can of cheddar cheese soup and doubled the other ingredients accordingly. Then after spreading in the 9×13 pan, put an even layer of Panko bread crumbs and baked as directed in the recipe. May have to add extra time because of doubling the recipe. Just taste test a little bit from the middle of the dish at the end of the initial cook time. If not done enough, add time in 8-10 min. intervals until done to your taste. The Panko crumbs stay crunchy, if you happen to like a crunchy topping. The cheddar cheese soup really added to the cheesy flavor of the potatoes. :D

Nan says:

I just finished reading all of the above answers to coming up with a good casserole of potatoes. Not once, did I see just what is used to “grate” cooked potatoes without making them crumbly.

Kristine says:

I boil them, let them cool, then run them through my food processor with the shredding cutting blade. Works perfectly every time.

MinDee says:

My in laws introduced me to substituting the regular onion for green onions instead, 1/2 bunch greens & all, it’s so yum!

Julie says:

I went a little overboard and made waaaay too much of this tonight. Do you think this can freeze after it’s already been cooked?

[…] Photo Credit: Image courtesy of Our Best Bite […]