I have three boys: ages 5, 3, and 10 months.  There’s a chance I might be biased, but I happen to think they’re the most charming, adorable, and intelligent kids on the planet.  They’re also kind of loud.  And busy.  And they destroy things.  Lots of things.  They have a need to eat, run, and make sound come out of their mouths pretty much 24 hours a day.  If it wasn’t for the fact that I cope with stress by eating, I would have the body of super model from all of the running around I do.  I love my kids like crazy.  They make me laugh constantly and I love being a stay at home Mom.  But as all Mothers know- it’s not easy!  There are days when the only thing that gets me through is Diet Coke, stashes of chocolate, and the knowledge that I have shows on my DVR waiting for me after those little angels fall asleep.

So on that note- I’m always trying to think of fun ways to supply Mother’s with much needed goodies on Mother’s Day because every Mom needs a secret stash right??  I’d made these tin can treats before at a church craft night and completely forgotten about them until my sister was talking about them recently.  They’re so fun- I’m going to show you how to customize a tin can and fill it with goodies or trinkets of your choice for the recipient to crack open.  (**And since so many of you expressed interest in making these for Teacher Appreciation Week, I’ve made up some tags for that as well, see links at the end of this post!**)

Supplies Needed:
canned fruit with tab tops, suggested size 7-8oz
candies for filling
tissue paper
hot glue gun
decorative paper
ribbon
side can opener or safety can opener (optional)

You can make these with any size can you can find with a tab top.  Technically you don’t even need the tab top, but if you’re using my printables you do.  Plus a tab is just way more fun!  I like the little mini cans, the 7-8 oz size, which is about half the size of a standard tin can if you’re trying to visualize.  Look for generic brand fruit in cans this size; they’re super cheap!  Make sure to use cans from something like fruit or fruit juice.  You don’t want the insides of your cute treat cans to smell like beans or chili!

Step one: Remove labels from cans.  Use a can opener to remove the bottom end of the can.  It’s the side without the tab top folks!  A side can opener works great here because you won’t have the sharp edges and the pieces will be a breeze to glue back together. If you plan ahead, you can eat the fruit along the way in your normal meals.  If you plan at the last minute like me, you can dump it all in your blender, blend it up, freeze it in ice cube trays, and use for smoothies.  Or it’s great poured right into Popsicle molds.

Tip: If you’re using a traditional can opener, make sure when you are removing your lid, you don’t remove it completely.  You want to leave it attached at one point like seen in the picture above.  Wash the cans well with soap and rinse clean.  Make sure to dry completely.

If you use this type of can opener, your life will be  much easier:

See how nicely it takes the lid off?

And it fits back on seamlessly, with just a small amount of glue

Step 2: Time for the fun part!  Fill those cans up with any form of deliciousness you choose.

My coping mechanism of choice:

Leave about 1/2 inch of head-space at the top of the can.  Another reason I use small cans is because you need quite a bit of candy to fill these if you’re using something small like M&M’s.  But you could use little wrapped chocolates or candy bars or whatever.

Step 3: Fill the empty space with a little tissue paper.  This is important and you’ll see why in the next step.

Step 4: Use hot glue to reattach the bottom of the can.  If you use the safety can opener, this part is simple, and it takes very little glue.  If you use a traditional can opener, like I did in these photos, it isn’t hard, but it’s a little tricky.  I find it easiest to bend the lid back down flat and then fill in the open space with glue.  This is why the tissue paper is there- to catch the glue that goes through so it doesn’t end up stuck to the treats.

Now.  I consider myself to be relatively handy with a glue gun, and fairly crafty, and I have never managed to glue the lid on without it looking like a complete mess.  The good news is that it doesn’t matter even if it’s ugly like mine because once you see how cute the finished product is, you’ll understand why no one will be looking at the bottom!   So just leave the can sitting like this until the glue is dry.

Step 5: Cut a piece of decorative paper the same height as the can.  Wrap it around and attach with tape, double-sided tape, or a glue stick.

Step 6: Tie a few matching ribbons on the tab.

At this point you’re ready to go!  These cute cans are ready for giving, and people will be SO surprised when they open up the fresh can and find goodies inside!

But.

In honor of Mother’s Day I thought it would be more fun to put this on the front:

I’ve made a version of this tag for teachers as well-
get the download at the end of this post!

How fun are these??

You can print the labels out on colored paper to match your theme

And if you don’t feel like being silly, I also made a generic “Pull my tab” label suitable for any lovely lady in your life!

Now go get creative!  You can really put anything in a can- how about this one with a small un-scented candle (so it doesn’t scent your candies!), a Reeces PB Cup and a set of ear plugs?  My kind of survival gear.

I have some really fun variations for all kinds of holidays and events- but we’ll focus on one day at a time!

Download free printable tags here:
Mother’s Day Tin Can Labels: Silly
Mother’s Day Tin Can Labels: Generic
Teacher Appreciation Tags

Also we have
Christmas Edition
Father’s Day Edition
Valentine’s Day Edition (coming soon)

Penny says:

I absolutely love this idea. I have the good fortune of getting together with some of my favorite moms this year on Mother’s Day. It will be great to surprise them all with a fun treat. Thank you!

Nelda says:

Love this! It looks like I will be making peach smoothies this week, lol! Wonderful idea.

Erin says:

What a wonderful idea! This is perfect for someone like me who has to mail Mother’s Day presents.

Sandy says:

Did you know that you can put an address label on the can and just mail it as is. I have used an empty 2 liter pop bottle and a HUGE Easter egg with an address label on it and mailed it. Fun to find cute things in the mailbox.

margot says:

Each stage of motherhood has its stresses. My friends and I are mothers of high school senior boys. You would think by this stage of our mothering “careers” we wouldn’t need something like this but this is exactly what I think my buddies need to provide a little comic relief to the stresses of college decisions, dating issues, cars and teenage boy things,etc.

Patti S says:

As a mom of 4 boys I totally relate!
    What a cute idea!

Kit says:

What a great idea for anyone special. The variations in my mind are endless.

Kit says:

I know exams are right around the corner. Wouldn’t this make a great gift for your college or high school student?

Kim Hansen says:

I love this idea. I need an activity for YW, and our girls would love this. Thanks for sharing!

Sharla says:

I’m seeing a lot of canned fruit in my kids future so I can make these ADORABLE treats. SO CUTE!! Thanks

Crystal says:

love, love, love this! especially with the smaller cans…so cute! and i think these would make super fab (& inexpensive) teacher gifts…gonna have to give it a whirl. thanks for always sharing such awesome ideas & recipes! hugs!

Nicole says:

I am doing teacher appreciation gifts this week and I think I am going to do this for one of them!!!

Stephanie says:

Those are so cute! I totally sympathize with you, I have twin 2 1/2 year old boys!

Kristi M. says:

I made these for the birthday gifts from primary one year. The can opener that doesn’t make sharp edges and actually cuts from the outside works best. It makes a seamless edge when glued back on.

GosiaL says:

i’ll make one for my self :o) , hide it, and find it one day when I’ll really in need for it :o)
    thanks for great idea

Amy says:

This is TOO cute! I am hosting Mother’s Day dinner this year and needed a fun treat to send home with the Mommies! Thank you!

Cathy says:

What a great idea! My nephews would love this.

Paula says:

I think I’ll skip the crafty paper/ribbon part and keep the jars of “fruit” in the cupboard. This incognito way to treat-stash probably only works if you’re the main cook in the house. And it’ll make me giggly knowing chocolate is in those innocent lil’ jars.

Good luck with those boys! Enjoy the craziness!

This is absolutely a fantabulous idea!!!! *thumbs up*

I can see making these for my sons’ teachers as they are all mothers! (next week is teacher appreciation week)

thanks for such a wonderful idea!

Jamy says:

This is my kind of craft! People always show me things and say, ‘No really, it’s not that hard’ And guess what. It really is hard, for me! This is absolutely adorable. Can’t wait to make them!

That is just to dang cute!

Monique Velasquez says:

OMG! those are so much fun! I think I’ll be making a few for mother’s day!! :)

I’m doing Teacher Appreciation week and this would be perfect! Now what to do with the fruit from 60 cans… hmm… ;)

charity says:

What a cute idea! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Alisa says:

I was thinking teacher appreciation too. These would be perfect. Anyway you have a cute saying for teacher appreciation in your creative head? :) Come on I know you do, just spill it!

Jordon says:

I LOVE these! I just may have to send my followers over to your site to see these. I will definitely be making some. Thanks!

Annette says:

adorably cute!! You all are my absolute favorite website…your stuff is so doable (if that is a word) and practical for a mom of 3 young ones!!!! And every recipe I’ve tried have been HUGE hits in my house!!!!!

jeannette shultz says:

These are ABSOLUTELY amazing! Thanks for sharing the idea!!!

Shauna Cannella says:

Could you make a cute little label for teacher appreciation? I would love to give this to my kids teachers next week.

This is such a great and do-able idea! I am going to share a picture and the link on my Sunday 5/1 “Links to Love” wrap up at http://www.momof6.com
    Warmly,
    Sharon

Christina says:

Love it!!!

Penny says:

I just LOVE this idea!!! I passed it on on my FB page :)

Carolyn W says:

I just ordered 3 of your books for Mother’s Day gifts: one for my mom, one for my mother-in-law, and one for me. (Since I’m a mother, too, it was only right!) :) Love your recipes and website, and I’m so glad you made gifts easy for me this year. Thanks!

Carla O'Malley says:

Awesome idea! These would make great teacher gifts espically for Teacher Appreciation week next week!

Leslie says:

This idea is so cute! I agree with a previous comment, from experience it is much easier to use the can opener that takes off the entire lid with no rough edges. It glues back on seamlessly! :-)

erin says:

LOVE!!! Very cute idea! What a fun idea for lots of different applications.

Amy says:

LOVE it times a thousand! :) What a fun and crafty idea. This is sure to make anyone’s day. How fun would it be to make these for a Birthday Party, Bridal/Baby Shower (with coordinating M&M colors!).

You guys rock. I’ve recently found your blog and am fascinated every time I pop on here :-)

Love it! What a cute idea! The wheels in my head are turning with other things/holidays to use this fun gift idea.

Celeste says:

If you use the side open can openers it is a lot easier to put the lid back on and look pretty good.

Marisa says:

What a cute idea – you always amaze me!

Cheryl says:

Genius! Can’t wait to make ‘em!

Julie in Edmonds says:

Oh my gosh! These are adorable!

Lisa says:

Super cute. I am going to do these for teacher appreciation week next week. Just wish you had a super cute label all ready for that (hint hint:) I did a similar project for April Fool’s for my daughter’s lunch box but left the label as is to fool her:-) The pampered chef can opener works fabulous for this project. Makes the gluing much simpler!!

Tiffany says:

I’m having a Girls Night tonight with my friends… We are learning to make those cute girly hair bows and I thought I would pick up some supplies for these too and show them how it’s done! Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!! =)

kathy says:

you have the dates listed for your Idaho visits, however I thought I heard you were coming to deseret book in idaho falls. If so, what date?
    love your site!

Kathy, we don’t have a date/time yet, and it may be in Rexburg (we’ll be in Rexburg speaking at the BYUI Business Forum). But we’ll let y’all know as soon as we know something! :)

gary'sgirl says:

haha! Cute idea, Sara! ;)

Kim says:

Such a cute idea! Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week – have you ever thought of making a label for a teacher? I may try it, but I know my label will not be nearly as cute as yours! Did you use photoshop to make them?

Liz says:

OMh! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I can’t wait to give it a try!

Melanie says:

Um, seriously, can I be you when I grow up?

I love this idea!

Lavonne says:

Here’s a link to a tutorial that I’ve used a few times. Eliminates the need for tissue paper. http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/pop_top_can/

Brooke says:

How fun!! Can’t wait to make these!

Timalee says:

That’s adorable!

Marie says:

these are so cute, and I love that there are limitless options for what goes inside! I would love it if I was given one of these, so I can’t wait to make some and make somebody’s day!

Eileen says:

LOVE the ear plugs! What a great and cute idea!

Erica says:

Perfect! I’ve been looking for something neat to do and gave up just yesterday. Can’t wait to do these!

Bonna Fahey says:

I saw this idea last fall and made them for my Daycare kids for Christmas. I filled them with bouncy balls, a small notebook, small jar of bubbles, rubber bracelets, and a gold medal necklace that said ‘I am #1′. I use the Campbells Chunky soup can–it’s a little bigger! The kids loved them and I thought it was such a cute idea–I have made them each one for their Birthdays this year, filling them with a 3 foot long Happy Birthday Balloon, necklaces, parachute men, Birthday Blowers, and anything else I can find that is inexpensive! GREAT idea!!! Also–instead of opening the can with a regular opener, I use one that cuts around the rim. I put a little Elmer’s Glue around the edge when I am ready to seal it back up, and put a weight on it to hold it in place until the glue dries. No messy hot glue ring and it works great!! :o)

How darling! What a great idea.

Brittany says:

Recently became a BIG fan of your site. Love EVERYTHING! My father (who I cook for, a meat and potatoes kind of guy) has threatened to block this site on our router because I have cooked almost solely from it, so thank you for providing such awesomeness!
    Anyway I love this idea! Love the idea of a special candy stash because as a stay at home mother of 4 boys myself, I need my candy stash on a regular basis. I think I will def be making these for all the moms in our neighborhood. Ear plugs are a great idea too! Keep the amazing ideas coming!

Laura says:

If you or someone you know has a smooth-edge can opener, you can use that to open the bottom of the can. Then all you have to use is a small bead of super glue to re-attach it. Much easier than the glue gun (but I realize that not everyone has one of those can openers of course). Great idea for a darling mother’s day gift!! Keep em coming!

I’ve put giftcards in the larger cans this same way. I love the idea of candy in a small one–definitely a good treat to have on hand!!

Patty says:

I put some wrapped candies and rolled up dollar bills for my nieces & nephews for birthday and Christmas. I left the orginal wrappers on the cans.

Hilary says:

I’m thinking this would be so cute as a party favor for my 1 yr. old’s baseball birthday party! Baseball scrapbook paper, baseball ribbon, and a cute little baseball saying, oh the ideas are coming now! Thanks so much for such a cute idea!

Toni says:

How freakin’ cute are these???? I love them. I’m going to forward this to my sister.

Kelli Bullock says:

I love this idea too bad here in Canada we done have pull tabs on our cans for the most part. Next time my husband goes to the states I’ll have him bring me back some1

Lavonne says:

Kelli – check Campbell’s chunky soups. They’re bigger but work for larger treats! :)

Morgan Rush says:

Love this! I also have three boys the exact same ages as yours! Great to know I am not alone!

Diane says:

Fantastic idea, for lots of different gifts( Holidays)Love it!
    I see a lot of “Tab Tops” in our future!
    Thanks for sharing!

Kimberly says:

Wait, are you sure you weren’t at my house? My 3 boys are 7, 5 and 2 and it sounds EXACTLY the same! ha ha

This is such a cute idea. It may even be easy enough that hubby could help the boys make these himself. You guys are so creative!

So cute. I made these for neighbor gifts for Christmas a year or two ago. I found the hot glue set too fast, but standard old craft glue like Aleens works great. I just put some weight on the lid and let it dry.

Kimberley says:

I didn’t look through all the comments, so I’m sorry if this is a repeat, but DO NOT place edibles in the same container as scented products (including candles, incense, or even fabric softening sheets). The scent transfers to the food and it is disgusting. My sweetie got me a big box of my favorite (and not inexpensive) Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory treats for my bday, and only kept them in the same paper bag until he got home to wrap them (in separate containers) later that night. It was such a torture–I couldn’t NOT eat the chocolates…so I struggled through the grossness. That’s not my idea of stress relief, do NOT do this to a mom you actually like! LOL!

I could totally use that right about now – what a great idea!

Shamaree says:

So I was looking for a craft for the nursery kids in our ward and this will be great! But I was thinking trace their hands and cut them out put them around the can and fill it with hugs and kisses and on the tag put happy mothers day! Hugs and kisses Childs name:)

Leah says:

I absolutely LOVE this idea! I’m so making them for Mother’s Day and my sister’s birthday coming up. Thanks for the inspiration!

cathy temple says:

great idea, but be careful if you put a candle in there with candy you might end up with sented candy.. We had that experience several years ago when my mother sent us Christmas candy in the same box as some Avon soaps. the smell of the soap totally infused the chocolate and made it taste awful.

Lisa says:

Love this super cute Idea and I agree, I’d like to use these for teacher appreciation and will be looking for the upcoming label.

meredith says:

Diet Coke and M&M’s … also my EXaCT coping mechanisms of choice!!! Now, to figure out a way to fit a frosty cold diet coke in those cute little cans :-)

Melissa says:

HAHAHA. I was like “why would i give my mother 100 calorie peaches, first of all thats kinda weird, and wouldnt that be saying something about her weight?” and then i saw the candy….
    LOL, I’m so strange. Anyways, THESE. ARE. SO. CUTE. I will seriously be considering these for my mom. SO CUTE.
    Thanks for the awesome Idea!
    LOVE<3

This is really cute. I think I’d want one of those 28oz cans though. ;)

Yvette says:

Brilliant!

Vicki says:

LOVE this! I am going to repost on my blog.

Laura says:

Absolutely ADORABLE!!! Do you have any cute sayings for May Day or Birthdays?
    Love your creativity!!

Brooke says:

Thanks for the cute idea! My mom loves Mike &Ikes, so I think I’ll stock mine up with those. I do have a question, though. If, by chance, your hot glue gun is out of glue, your stock of glue sticks for the gun is empty, and all you have at home is Elmers white glue, does that work too? Or does it really need to be hot glue because of the thickness of the lid?

Amber says:

Im so happy I have stumbles across yor blog. It sounds like we are in the same boat. I have 3 boys 5, 3, and 8months. And its is so true the only thing that keeps me holding on is my Dr. Pepper

Kate says:

LOVE this Idea! A great project for the moms in my MOPS group! Love your site! Can’t wait to buy you cookbook, hopefully soon.

Megan Siana says:

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

Jeri says:

I love this! I work at a school and instead of giving these to moms I think I’m going to make them for the teachers! There are days when they REALLY need a little pick-me-up and these are adorable! Thank You!

Bobbi Jean says:

I am going to do this and fill them with hersheys hugs and kisses…I think they still make the hugs! Super cute. Thanks for the idea!

I sent some cookies to my daughter in a large pear can last night. A friend was flying there and was willing to cart them for me. I used the can opener that doesn’t cut the lid, it removes it without any sharp edges. The can didn’t have a pull tab, but I was okay with that! I slapped a label on it and ta-dah! I’m hoping the cookies arrived in perfect condition due to their nifty container, and it was all because I saw your cute idea :)

Melissa says:

I think this would also be so cute for teachers! I’m always on the lookout for teacher gifts! Obviously, one would have to make different labels, but still!

This is awesome! The possibilities are endless! Thank you for an awesome idea!!!!

shafeena says:

this one is so simple and smart !! i love it !! only wish adeeb would remember :)

LaDonna says:

Love this idea! I especially like including a candle and a few sweet treats. You could also add a gift certificate for a something special, if desired.
    Thank you for sharing!

Denise says:

These are so cute. I will be making them for teacher appreciation week. I also have about 10 other ways to use them. I am off to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy a new can opener too.

kc says:

Can you do a happy birthday printable??? These are fantastic. FAN. TAS. TIC.

Very, very cute. Now I want to make these for all my friends. Love the label. So clever and funny.

I just finished making these for my mom and sister, they are gonna love them!! I’m also considering making these for the ladies in Relief Society. And on a side note, I got your cook book 3 days ago and I am in LOVE with your tortilla chips. I made them last night with season salt instead of regular salt and we dipped them in our cheese soup…YUUUUUMMMY!! And today we made them with cinnamon and sugar…my new favorite treat!! Totally delicious! You ladies ROCK!!!

christine says:

I made these last year with my Sunday school kiddos and blogged about them as well a while back. I like how yours turned out here and I love the ribbon you added to the top! Very, very cute! This year we are making them again only with dirt and a seed planted in them for moms day. When mom opens it up she just needs to start watering them and in a few weeks flowers will bloom. Very fun ideas out there. Happy week end! =O)

Shannon says:

LOVE this idea! Thank you SO much for sharing! You are SO creative!!! :D

Emily Taylor says:

ADORABLE!!!!….Need I say more??? ;) I will be making these! Thanks!

Dorothy says:

Love this. Going to make one for my daughter-in-law who is expecting our 9th grandchild in the fall. Also think the little fruit snack cans will make cute and very unexpected place favors for a bridal shower I will be giving this summer.

Coral-Lyne says:

Wow! My husband is the artsy one, but I think even I can do this! Thanks for sharing, my 4 sisters and Mum are going to be soooo surprised when I gift these!!

Leah says:

I have done this. i used one of those safety can openers that remove the whole bottom so no sharp edges and then you can just glue the bottom back on.

Kimberly says:

I love this!! Thanks for sharing…every time I think I’m really crafty, I see something else online that makes me go “OmG!, how did I not think of that?” Love it.

Jennifer Plitt says:

I love this idea!! I didn’t have “fancy” paper and wanted to try to avoid buying anything extra….I did have plenty of scraps of wrapping paper though – it worked great!! :)

Cara says:

Love this! It’s teacher appreciation week so I’m going to do the one with earplugs for my son’s teacher :)

Heidi says:

Absolutely adorable… Im making these for all my mommy friends, sisters and would love to make the teacher appreciation gifts also. Do you have a download for the printable tags? :) Thanks for sharing such a cute idea!

Kris says:

Love this idea. This would be a great inexpensive idea for your child’s teacher also.

Amber says:

That is so clever! Thanks for sharing. I’ll take a can full of m&m’s over peaches anyday! I love your comment about Diet Coke, stashed chocolate, and DVR shows…I can so relate!!!

Brittany says:

This is such a cute idea! I was just thinking about what we were going to do for the kid’s teachers. I think I’ve found it!

Shauna says:

I went and bought the cans yesterday but thought I would get some fruit and some vegetables so we can eat them faster. BUT – the veggies are not in the same type cans so I’m going out today to get more fruit for the rest of the cans. Thank you for making the labels for the teachers. I love this treat!

Jane says:

I love this idea and I love how simple and inexpensive! When I read your your blog I realized I could have written the same blog! Love it!

Cathy says:

Cute idea! My kiddos are 6, 3 and 10 months….I can totally relate! Only the older 2 are girls…so drama on top of noise!

Meggan says:

This is such a cute idea!! I wish I had time to make these for my daughter’s teachers!

Jenna says:

Now THIS is my kind of craft…something I “CAN” do. (: Thanks for the cute idea!

Kim says:

Working on mine right now. Can’t wait to see how they turn out. Going to give them to my son’s teacher on Friday. Thanks for the labels and the great idea!

Janice says:

Use a SAFETY CAN OPENER then there are no sharp edges to deal with. These can openers split the ring around the edge and the ‘lid’ almost snaps back on. I still glue them but use a clear liquid glue as it is just to hold it in place.

Love them

Jenn says:

Awesome! I went right out and started buying the stuff to make these. And I was so excited to get started, I forgot what I was doing and pulled the tab on the first can of fruit instead of opening the bottom. *le sigh* Oh, well, fruit’s good for you. :D

(Also, I’m filling a couple with gum for friends who are on serious diets. Just so you know, a stick of gum fits perfectly in these cans.) :)

Pamela says:

WAH! Why did this have to be SO cute? This morning, I was cleaning out the can and I sliced my right ring finger with the edge! I need to invest in those safety edge can openers too. :(

Betsy says:

Love, love this! Thank you for such a fantastic idea. I found your blog through Crystal at Moneysavingmom.com So glad I did and plan on visiting your site more. BTW, if you still need an awesome, safety can opener, contact me– am a stay-at-home mom with a Pampered Chef business. These can openers are the best!

Cristi says:

I’m thinking this is a great idea for a girls choice dance invite. Leave the fruit cocktail label on, put a treat and invite inside, and have the intended date’s mother ask him to make the fruit salad for dinner. He opens the can, voila! My daughter will love you for this (an my mom, too, who will be getting one for Mother’s Day this year). Thanks!

Erica says:

I found this tutorial and promptly brought home some cans to make gifts for my kids teachers and then found out that the cans I bought didn’t have the right bottom to actually get them open with a can opener. Your cans have a rim just like the top of most cans. Mine had a smooth bottom. Boo. Thought it might help others if you mention this in your tutorial.

jane says:

Can also do this with a soup can. Use a safety can opener to open the top. Wash the can well, fill with goodies and glue the top back on and add a label. We used them for Primary birthday cans. Put some shredded paper, little rubber duck, eraser, etc. The kids loved them. We also used them for YW birthdays.

Kirsten says:

Ok, let me just say, you described me to a T! “There are days when the only thing that gets me through is Diet Coke, stashes of chocolate, and the knowledge that I have shows on my DVR waiting for me after those little angels fall asleep.”

I literally have a case of diet coke under my side of the bed, and a drawer right next to my side of the bed with my stash of chocolate, JUST for times like those! Also, my DVR is awaiting me to turn it on by 8:00 each night when my daughter and 4 sons are sound asleep! THANK YOU for this WONDERFUL idea!! I’m going to take it to my VT ladies this week! LOVE IT!

Ninotchka says:

LOVE this craft! Just made mine. http://flickr.com/gp/ninotchkab/N60M9w Thanks so much!

Tiffany says:

Love this! Thank you so much! I shared your idea on Facebook. People are wild about it! I am going to do candy on the bottom and the Jewel Kade charm bracelet and personalized necklace on top! So fun! Check it out at http://www.jewelkade.com/Tiffanydirks.

Angie says:

Totally just made one of these for my kiddos teacher! LOVING it!! Her’s was my “test” project ;) now i’m going to make some for sunday to give to my mom and sisters :)

Marilee Mitchell says:

We’re making these for our YW activity tomorrow night for the girls to give to their moms. thanks for the great idea!!

Marcie D says:

I love this idea. So simple yet very nice gift! In reguards to gluing the lid back on: I use the easy-top-type manual can opener and I love the results. The can is cut cleanly and I don’t get cut!!! I used gel superglue to adhere the lid back on and it worked like a charm. And…No mess. Oh, I put a piece of tape on the can lid first to use as a handle so I didn’t get superglue on my fingers. It worked great.

Kristen says:

Oh my goodness…these are phenomenal! I went out today and bought myself a whole case of fruit cans and have already made them. I can’t wait to give them to all of my friends for mother’s day. If you use a can opener that cuts on the sides, then you can just put a little E6000 around the edge of the lid and stick it back on. Wait a couple of hours for the glue to dry, and it looks like the bottom has never been taken off! Thanks so much for the idea! Luv it!

Tiffany says:

I shared your post on these HOTTIE craft cans on my blog! THANK YOU for the great idea! You can check it out here http://becomeshoppertunistic.blogspot.com/2011/05/mothers-day-art-of-frugal-living.html.

Lindsay says:

We had a craft night at my house last night making 80 of these for the mother’s Day gifts for all the mothers at our church! Thank you so much for the idea!!!

Carrie says:

That’s adorable! I’m going to add it to my “favorites” on my blog post Friday. Thanks for sharing this!

Heidi Van Walraven says:

My kids gave them to their teachers yesterday. They were all skeptical about if something was going to jump out at them when opened. Guess they were surprised to find chocolate in side. Thanks for the idea my kids had fun with them.

Tara says:

I made these last night for my kids’ teachers and they turned out so adorable! Thanks for sharing such a great idea. I’m definitely making the Mother’s Day version for the ladies I go visiting teaching too. Love it!

Janessa says:

I just made 3 of these for teachers… took less than 30 minutes and they turned out adorable!!! Thanks so much for the great idea and tutorial! :)

Melinda says:

Love this – I am doing this with my 4th grade class for Mother’s day. We are putting hershey’s kisses – regular and hugs for hugs and kisses!!! Thanks!!!!

Ashley says:

Um….I love you! Lol :)

I made 20 of these for my children’s teachers, this week. They turned out really cute! The one thing that surprised me was that when the kids gave them to the teachers, over HALF of them thought that something was going to pop out of the can, (like a fake snake). One teacher even spilled a bunch of the candy on the ground trying to open it away from herself, even though my daughter told her nothing was going to pop out. That thought never occurred to me when I was putting them together. I still think they’re adorable and would make them again. :)

Joanna Little says:

Thanks for sharing your great idea! These cans are too cute! I’m going to make one for Mother’s day and some for my girl’s teachers.

natalie garritson says:

do you happen to have one for students/ seniors taking tests getting ready to graduate…etc?

Rebecca says:

Man there is a reason I love you guys SO much. This idea is just too cute. Really….how do you come up with this stuff!!!

Jennifer G says:

I made 7 of these for friends as Mother’s Day treats. I bought a big bag of pretzel M&M’s and filled the cans with those. (And made a peach cobbler with all the peaches in the cans!) They turned out so cute. Great idea and would be fun for birthdays as well. Make a printable for that sometime!

Thanks for the great idea! I have to make some smaller labels for the small 4oz size. Can you tell me what font ou used for the label? Thanks!

Ashley says:

I also have the smaller size, and I am going to try using wrapping paper around them, with a blank, plain white name tag label that I decorate with fun lettering and markers. Just an idea for you! My nieces will be with me over the weekend, so we will be making this for their mommy :)

Suzanne says:

I have similar children. Very similar. I love your idea and execution. Well done!

Laura says:

I just finished making my little Mother’s Day cans. I love, love, love how they turned out! Thank you for the awesome idea! :)

just did this for teacher appreciation and linked it on my blog. Thank you for such a great idea

Phyllis Barton says:

We need one for Father’s Day!

Londa says:

Oh my goodness! HOW CUTE AND CLEVER! I love this idea! We made these for our teachers and grandmas…and now want to keep coming up with reasons to make more! Thank you for sharing your creativity! I’m sharing your awesome site with all my friends! (oh wait, maybe I shouldn’t!)

Monica says:

I live in Japan and crafty stuff is not always available to me. This was the perfect project! I just have to point out that my cans “mandarin oranges” actually said MOM on the bottom where yours says SLL in the photo. How perfect was that?

Ashley says:

LOVE this!! My 2 year old daughter & I made several of these for grandma =) My mom said what she always says on Mother’s Day…”you weren’t supposed to buy me anything!” She flipped when she realized it was a homemade creation filled with her favorite goodies. She’s actually keeping the cans after she’s done because she can’t stand the thought of throwing them away =)

julia says:

Love love love it soo much i made some and posted them on my blog linking it back to you thanks for the fab idea

sweetserendipity23@gmail.com

Stacey says:

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to do this in a Father’s day fashion?? I am the RS President and we are in charge of the Father’s day gift. I think they would love this just as much as the mothers! So if you had a pattern to wrap it that was more on the “manly” side that would be great! Thank you!

Kirsti says:

These are too cute!!! My moms birthday is Friday, I just stopped at the beauty supply (perks of being a hairstylist) to pick up mani and pedi gifts for my cans!!! I can’t Wait to make these for her! She will be super excited!

Natalie says:

I made these for my kids for April Fools Day in their packed lunches and they loved them! I kept the original label on so it looked the same and they thought they were getting fruit. Then when they opened it, it was full of candy! It was a big hit!

Antonella Bertone says:

Amazing thank you!! Any chance you will have Birthday ones as a printable?

Melanie Oliver says:

We are making these for my son’s teachers for end of the year gifts with gift cards inside.

corine says:

Hi I just wanted to share with you I took your fabulous idea and did a little graduation can. I used the bigger cans …it said.. Natalie’s emergency college food storage..in an emergency such as forgot to cook, or forgot how to cook PULL TAB! Happy Graduation!!! inside I put a pizza gift card. Thank you for your inspiration!!!

Tiffany says:

DARLING for end of school teacher’s gifts too! I included them in my teachers gift guide! THANK YOU! http://becomeshoppertunistic.blogspot.com/2011/05/teacher-gift-giving-guide-art-of-frugal.html

Jessica says:

These are absolutely ADORABLE! I will be making a few of these tomorrow for the end of school year! Thanks for sharing! :)

CShore says:

I tried this for a gift for my boss and they turned out so great! She was so excited and grateful for the “bits of happiness” (M&M’s) she now has at her desk. Thanks so much for the idea.

Andi @udandi says:

I love making pull-tab surprise cans, it’s how I gave my niece and nephews gift cards but they were a little hesitant on how to open them :)

Tena says:

I think these are sooo cute, thanks for the idea! I’ve featured you on my blog memyselfandtena@blogspot.com.

Marcia says:

What a great idea!!!
    I can’t wait to make these!!

Jessica Snipes says:

Thanks! These are just adorable. They would make great little get well gifts or gifts for Pastor appreciation.

This is such a cool idea!!

HlbW says:

LOVE these! I just made the teacher version for end of school and can’t wait to give it to my son’s teachers. :) I used a bigger size can and put in a gift card in each along with a handful of M&Ms. I want to make more…. one for everyone! :) Posted pic on fb and had to share with this link with friends. Awesome idea and thanks for posting! :)

kristen says:

Any chance you have printables for this in a “Happy Birthday” version?? such a cute idea!!

Dulce says:

Wow, absolutely a great idea. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Lynn says:

I would like to make these for other holidays too. Could you make up a “Blank” template for the labels that we could put our own text or pictures into?
    Thanks.

Lynn Harrison says:

What kind of Can Opener is the Black one and where can you find one like that?

Julia says:

Would it be possible to make printables for the holidays?

Jenny says:

These are awesome! Just wondering if you had any suggestions for teacher gift labels? I was thinking of doing this for a Christmas gift this year….maybe some candy and a gift card inside? But I’m terrible with wording for this kind of stuff and you seem oh so clever!

Laurel says:

Just when I was looking for a way to package homemade candy for Christmas, too.

Johanne says:

Love Love Love this idea. So cute and an inexpensive packaging idea. Very creative. Just love it. Have shared your idea on our business facebook page – Mums Little Party Secret. I am sure our followers will love it as much as I do. Jo x

this is such a fantastic idea! i’m going to try it with candy and gift cards! it’s always so hard to disguise gift cards — no one will guess whats inside!

RoweJones says:

Now that was FLY! Love this and can wait to present these to the teachers, sitters, etc!

Lynnreedy40@gmail.com says:

What a FABULOUS & CRAFTY idea!!!!!! This would br great for so many things even birthday party’s, or school projects for kids to give to their parents !! And I love the idea of freezing the fruit for smoothies, since I love smoothies !! I am Definately hooked on this site now!!

Brenda says:

I haven’t read all of the comments, but my first thought was…what a great idea for baby shower favors! You could either make them look like baby food jars, or wrap them in cute baby’ish paper. The wording on the label would even be appropriate! Thanks for the great idea!

S Schwan says:

If the can is big enough, maybe put their handprints on the paper you wrap the can with.

Keri says:

I love this idea. I think they will be so cute for my friend’s baby shower. I was thinking we could play off the “she’s about to POP!” with the pull tabs… I wish i was as crafty as you to make the tags??!! I need a graphic designer friend… Could you tell me the dimensions of the tags that fit a 7-8oz container? I will send you a finished picture in her color palette (black,white, turquoise and grey!). LOVE your crafty ideas. I’m always impressed and inspired by you.

Clarisa says:

I want to make these for cub scouts. I think thier mothers will love these

Ericka says:

Just wanted to say thank you for a great idea! I used Mod Podge to put the bottom back on and you can’t even tell it was ever off! Great idea. Thank you!

Heather Armijo says:

Love this idea for a cute way to give cash to my older boys for Birthdays/Easter/Good Grade Rewards! Thanks for the instructions!

Thanks for sharing this super cute idea! I linked it on my blog today as part of a Mother’s Day ideas post. Thanks for being so creative so we can look good! ha ha

Cheryl says:

What a great idea. It gives me the perfect reason to buy a safety can opener. ;D

Candace says:

Oh, thank you for a great idea!!! My husband and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary next week, and it’s been difficult to say the least finding a “tin” gift. Okay, well, I’d always thought I’d use a cruise ship (since they must have tin or aluminum on them somewhere…), but with a new baby, that can’t happen just yet. :(

This gives me a way to be creative and stay in line with the traditional gift idea! :)

Kim says:

I’ve been going back and forth on what I want to do for Mother’s Day in my classroom. I did paper bag photo ablums last year, which turned out really cute, but are expensive. These are super cute. I think I found my new gift for this year. Thank you for posting!

Cathy Habegger says:

Could you please add the “To:” and “From:” on the generic labels. I saw this on a label in one of your pictures and would love to be able to have this same label to download. I plan on doing this project with my Kindergarten class, with some of the prep done ahead of time, of course. :) Thanks so much!

Completely fantastic!!! I don’t have one of those great can openers – but my mum does… Hmmm I might have to steal it for a bit somehow! LOL

Lauren Coto says:

I love this!! Great Idea…I will be making one for my grandma and mom for mother’s day!! Thanks agian

Anais says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!
    Will make some an auction/sell them off to raise money for teh Relay For Life!!!
    Need to make them in french, how big are the squares with the prints?
    Thanks!!!

Jamie B says:

This is one of the most awesome tin can crafts I’ve seen! I hope it’s okay, I have been working on a tin can crafts round-up and I just could not help but feature your clever tin can treats! I just finished the post and you can see it here:

Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial as well :) This is such a clever craft!!

Jackie says:

Beautiful! Gorgeous! Stunning! Adorable! Delightful! Outstanding!!Love this bright and colorful clever idea, have added to my pinterest page, have to share! Thank you :)

sabrina says:

Love this! We are having a mothers day lunch on mothers day, this would be great for all the moms attending! Thanks!

Clever, clever, clever! And appropriate for many occasions. Thank you for sharing this project. I’ve pinned it for future reference and I’m sharing a link to your blog on my Facebook page.

Les says:

Thanks! This is awesome. Just made 4 of these today. Such a cool, easy, inexpensive, thoughtful gift!

Holly says:

SUPER cute! I wish I would have found this before today! I would have loved to make these as Mother’s Day gifts!!!! Maybe next year!

Cami says:

THis is absolutely precious. Wish I had found this earlier!!!

thinkRSVP says:

We love this idea and shared it on our Facebook board for our viewers! Perfect for Mother’s Day, but also perfect for end of the year teacher gifts!

Terri M says:

I love this emergency chocolate gift can. I am going to make them for my teacher colleagues on returning to school after our summer break! Could be used for my wine tasting group as well!

marya says:

If you get over zealous and put way too much hot glue, I found this extremely helpful for cleaning up so I could start over.

Audrey Gleason says:

Cute idea! Instead of reusing the fruit can, go to your local paint store and buy NEW pint-size cans. They’re about $2 each. Plus, there aren’t any ridges in them. Best wishes.