So I’ve been a mother for 6 years and 4 months now and I’ve never had breakfast in bed. As time goes on, I’m pretty okay with that–I love, love, love my husband, but most of you know about my egg aversion issues (by the way, after Sara posted her egg-blowing tutorial, my brain recovered a horrible repressed memory from a 4-H activity  when I was 10 and I blew out an egg for the first time and then promptly lost my lunch) and breakfast in bed usually involves eggs and eggs really aren’t his forte.

But for all you ladies who would love breakfast in bed, I think you should email this post to your significant others. Or create an anonymous email address to send the link to plant the idea in their brains. And maybe the anonymous email should include that this recipe needs to be assembled the night before, so you would also need a People magazine, a pedicure, and dinner alone on Saturday night while he whips this together. Just sayin’.

This recipe is beyond easy. Minimal chopping. Pre-cut potatoes. Incredibly delicious (seriously, when our family ate this for the first time, my pickiest eater, who is also a potato-hater, yelled, “THIS IS AWESOME!”) and, like I said, can be made the night before and then popped into the oven in the morning.

You’ll need Southern/country-style hash brown potatoes (the cubes, not the shreds), eggs, milk, bacon, green onions, pepper jack cheese (I promise, this doesn’t come out too spicy), cheddar cheese, and a little salt and pepper to taste.

Cook the bacon. All of it. The whole package. This is how you know things can’t go wrong. You can either cook it in the oven or on the stove top; the oven is my favorite way to cook bacon, but you’re going to be using the bacon drippings a little later, so if you’d rather just do it all in one pan, that’s up to you.

While the bacon is cooking, place the potatoes in a 9×13″ or a deep-dish 9″ pie plate. Mix together the cheeses and sprinkle those on top of the potatoes. When the bacon is done, place it on a paper towel to drain and reserve about 2 tablespoons of the drippings.  Cook the chopped green onions in the drippings over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until they’re tender and fragrant. Spread them on top of the cheese mixture.

Crumble the bacon and sprinkle that on top of the green onions. Um, in case you guys ever doubted, I love bacon so much.

Look at it?! How could you not love it? Carly, you know I’m talking to you.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, and a little salt and pepper. If things are going to get tricky, this is where because you don’t really know how salty the bacon and cheese are and you can’t taste the mixture. But I think about 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt is probably good (you can always add more later) and about 10 turns of freshly ground black pepper.

Whisking constantly, pour the egg/milk mixture all over the potatoes and bacon.

Cover it up and refrigerate it overnight (or, if you’re making breakfast for dinner, do this first thing in the morning and then it will be ready by dinner time).

When you’re ready to bake it, preheat the oven to 350. Bake it up, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly but not burned. Remove from the oven and let it stand for about 15 minutes (if you cut into it sooner, it will be a little runny and icky looking). Serve with fresh fruit, orange juice, a jelly jar full of flowers from the yard, and lots of hugs and kisses. Serves 6-8.

Boise Fans! Sara will be doing book signings in your area this week!
Deseret Book on Eagle Road (see map here).  This Friday, 5-7 pm
This Saturday (5/7), Nampa Costco, 12  noon – 1:30pm

Missy says:

This looks so good! Just a quick question: Will the potatoes thaw while preparing the other ingredients and while waiting in the refrigerator before baking? Or should I thaw them before I start preparation?

Also, do you know how to make the cute little degrees symbol after your temperature settings (i.e., 350º)? Alt 167. That’s it. Just thought I’d share.

Missy–AWESOME!! Thanks so much for the info! :)

As far as the potatoes go, they probably won’t thaw in time–I’d stick them in the fridge a day or two before you plan on making this (or gasp, leave them on the counter for a few hours).

holly says:

never knew that! awesome!!!

oh this looks wonderful! it’s on my list now of things to try! thanks for sharing this!

Plaingrammy says:

Ok this looks like a keeper~ Has anyone tried this with sausage? I’ve got a killer wheat sausage recipe and would love to try it with this. Bacon will be totally wonderful, just trying to find different ways to sneak wheat into my family’s diet.

Yummity Yum Yum Yum Yum. That is all :)

Jen K says:

I’m totally making this for myself…with sausage. Haha. Sorry, not a bacon lover here either. But everything else in it makes me want to drool!

I’m guess that’s the reason why my potato dishes always turn out with a funny consistancy, I never thaw the potatoes first…good to know!

Happy Mother’s Day Kate & Sara! Thanks for making the cooking lives of even us non-mom’s tastier!

I think I will be taking your advice and emailing this to the hubs! I LOVE breakfast casseroles and this looks right up my alley. I love eggs and pretty much any combination of eggs, cheese, breakfast meat and potatoes. :)

Thesha says:

Yum! We love breakfast food for dinner so I will be adding this to my menu for this upcoming week. Thanks, you ladies are great!

Sara says:

I am so excited! I have been so hungry for a breakfast casserole but am trying to stay away from bread. This is perfect!! Thank you SO much!

Cara says:

This looks sublime! Perfect for a Mother’s Day Brunch!

Karalee says:

YUMMY!!!! Can this be done with real potatoes cut into chunks and not the frozen kind? The frozen chunks are really hard to find in a one store town!!

Karalee–I’m sure you could, you might just need to partially cook them first (either parboil or underbake them). I think if you tried doing raw potatoes, they’d take too long.

kaimuki says:

I’ve done similar dishes with broken up frozen french fries (couldn’t find the diced at the store) if the potatoes are still frozen it just takes a little longer in the oven, but its better if you give them a chance to thaw for a day in the fridge first.

Will this work with potatoes diced small? I have an extra bag of potatoes left over and I need to use them up. How many potatoes do you think it’d take?

Heather Bare says:

Will this work with shredded hashbrowns too? I don’t like to bite into potato chunks.

Mark Petersen says:

Fresh potatoes work too right?

Jen Rock says:

I make this at home and the family LOVES it, but instead of bacon….I used little bits of ham and instead of the scallions on top…I use Potatoes O’Brien (frozen potatoes with bits of peppers & onions. NUMMY NUMMY!!!!

Tracey says:

I’ve made a very similar dish, but with the meat (sausage, ham or bacon) on the bottom layer of the pan, and I brown the hash browns in oil prior to putting them in the baking dish. This gives the potatoes a great flavor :)

Miranda says:

i wonder if this would work if I did it in the crock pot?

Yum, I love bacon, too. And I love a good brinner (breakfast for dinner) recipe! What if I wanted to make it in a 9×13 casserole dish? Just a bit more of all of the ingredients or is the recipe as it is now enough to fill a casserole dish?

Anna, you could totally do it the way it is in a 9×13″ dish, no need to change any of the proportions. I just like it in a smaller dish because then every little bit of the top has bacon on it. :)

Andrea says:

I think that if you bake it in a 9×13, though, you would need to cook it for a lot less time, and it wouldn’t be as thick. A 9 inch pie plate has almost half the area of a 9×13 pan. It would be kind of like baking a cake in a 9×13 when it’s really meant for an 8×8 (which has almost the same area as a 9 inch pie plate).

I have never had good luck with breakfast casseroles. But I have had good luck with everything I have tried from yall’s site so I am sure this one will turn out great when I make it!

I’m a HUGE fan of breakfast casseroles so this one is a must-make – thanks!

Leslie says:

Oooo! I’m going to try this! I actually get to be with my mother on Mother’s day this year! Thanks!

Joan says:

How many portions does this make….how many will it feed?

Carrie says:

Your recipe says to refrigerate overnight. Does it HAVE to refrigerate all night? Can I whip it up and stick it in the oven right away or will it not turn out right?

Carrie–It definitely does better when it sits for a little while; the potatoes soak in some of the moisture. But worst case scenario, it would still be good if you stuck it straight in the oven (if you can, try to let it sit for a little while at least, just to let things settle and redistribute).

Monique Velasquez says:

i <3 bacon!!! i can't wait to try this recipe!!

Sarah says:

do you think that someone who only likes bacon A LITTLE would find the bacon overpowering? sometimes I dont like how salty bacon is so I didnt know if having all of that would be too much and take away from the dish (for me). but it looks like the casserole is pretty thick so maybe only a thin layer of bacon wouldn’t be too bad. also, is this a type of thing that would be freezer friendly? and this brings me to my other question — is bacon an okay thing to freeze (like just the bacon). I’m young and not married yet so a lot of food items I buy go bad before I’m able to use them

I think if you only like bacon a little, I would either bake it in a 9×13″ dish to spread it out a little more or cut back on it and use something like smoked paprika (you should be able to find it in the spice aisle) to help make up some of the flavor that you’re losing. But yeah, it is a thick casserole and when it comes down to it, you’re really not getting that much. You could also look for a low-sodium bacon if the salt bothers you.

You can definitely freeze this. And yes, you can freeze bacon, too–I do it all the time when I find it on sale! :)

• amber says:

After frozen, how would you reccommend reheating single servings? what about the whole dish?

Oh. My. Goodness.
    I’m making this as soon as possible! Or hubby is… YUM!!!!

Melissa L. says:

Kate… you remind me of some friends of mine who were vegetarians… EXCEPT for bacon! LOL! We always have bacon in the fridge; I do a whole package in the oven, then my teenager heats up a couple of slices (couple… ha ha ha) in the microwave in the morning (often with your most-awesome blueberry muffins that I keep in the freezer). Anyway, due to an egg-issue myself around the 4th grade, they aren’t my favorite either, but I’ll give this a try… bacon, taters & cheese… what’s to go wrong?!

sharr says:

so how many would you say this fabulous recipe would serve? just one very special mother? or a room full of fabulous women? :o)

Traci Estes says:

If I want to bake two of these casseroles at the same time how long should I leave them in? I love your recipes! Best Bites is my all time favorite website!!! Thanks girls!!!

jitterbuug says:

This looks SOOO delicious!! I think I’ll make it this weekend for Saturday Breakfast!

Courtney says:

You guys have the cutest dishes and accessories. I really love the red scalloped baking dish. Where did you get it?

Addison, Target is the most evil place in the universe when you’re pinching your pennies, especially if you love cute dishes. I got that dish at Target around Valentine’s Day for 9.99.

Telly says:

Do you think I could freeze this, if so, before or after baking it? p.s. I love your website and always use your recipes when company comes over. That way I know they will enjoy dinner :)

I’m sure you could, either way, I just don’t know how long you’d need to bake it if you froze it uncooked. If it was already cooked, it was just need to be thawed and then reheated.

Cami says:

Love this! My family loves a similar recipe but with sausage. I’ll have to try it with the bacon. The only difference is that I throw my frozen potatoes in the oven for about 15 minutes before adding the other ingredients to the pan. This eliminates having to pre-thaw the potatoes. So if you’re not good at planning ahead (like me) you can still make it. Thanks for all the great recipes!

Lauren says:

Holy smokes, this looks DElicious! I’m making egg casserole for a staff breakfast next week, and I know my fellow teachers will die for this one. I can’t wait to try it! :)

Sarah says:

I read your comment about using potatoes. What does “parboiling or underbaking” mean?

Heidi Van Walraven says:

HA HA I thought we were the only family who used “brinner” my dh is out of town this week, I will have to pre make and then no work for me on Sunday.

katie says:

This looks so good. I bet it would taste good with chopped up tomatoes too. Must make!

Kari says:

I made this tonight. YUM! I don’t like eggs either, but didn’t even know they were there in this dish. Thanks for the great recipe. Next time I’ll make half for our family of four (at least that is how many are home now!). My husband plans to take some to work for a day or two or…

Oh my, this looks so good! What perfect comfort food.

Kathy M says:

You know if you are ever up for a challenge, I’d love to find a breakfast casseroly type thing that doesn’t involve cheese or milk. My son is allergic (I’ve mentioned that before). He loves eggs and bacon and sausage and hashbrowns and on occasion I’ll be nice and make that for him. However, I’d love to create something I could make for a brunch. Everything has cheese in it on some form or another. THis looks so yummy!

Kristique says:

Have you ever looked into the vegan cheeses they have out there? They are usually named something cute like “cheeze” to differentiate them from actual cheese and contain no dairy products. I haven’t tried many myself as I have no allergies and love the real stuff, but I do seem to recall seeing some that were touted on the packaging as “better melting than before” or something of that nature. If it satisfies the cravings of vegans, it might make do in a pinch for your son! I’ve seen the products at local supermarkets (Publix, Winn-Dixie) in the organic food part of the produce section, but you can also probably find them at Whole Foods or Trader Joes. Good luck! Cheese (or cheeze) is such a wonderful addition to breakfast foods that I sincerely hope you find a good substitute so your son doesn’t have to miss out! :)

Rachelle says:

I made this tonight using ham instead of bacon. And it wasn’t because I don’t LOVE me some bacon, but I had ham I really needed to use, and let’s face it, it really is much better for you. And the verdict: Very, very good. I didn’t sauté the onions in fat (well, there was no fat) and so those got a little on the dry side. Next time I would layer them underneath the cheese so I prevent that drying out. The ham got a little crispy on the edges, which I love and the kids loved it too! Thanks!!

Sarah says:

I saw my store was having a buy 1 get 1 free REFRIGERATED cubed potato sale (I only needed 1 so it was like it being 50% off) and there was almost exactly 4 cups in a bag..soo happy (so maybe others can find some in the refrigerated section). the only type they had left was cubed with onions, which I didnt think was bad since the recipe calls for green onions anyways so I just added a little less green onions. Question, do you HAVE to refrigerate it before putting in the oven? I was making this planning on putting it in the oven right after until I kept reading the directions..good thing I was making it a little earlier than I needed it so I will have it in the fridge for only a few hours.. but I wasn’t sure

Sarah says:

another question (sorry I ask a lot), how come in your recipes that call for bacon you also add in salt? doesn’t bacon naturally have a lot of salt so you dont need to add more in?

Breanna says:

I just StumbledUpon your site and I’m glad I did! I love breakfast food, especially if it contains bacon and potatoes.
    I’ll be trying this soon for sure but I think I’ll add green bell pepper with the onions (or buy the refrigerated potatoes that have peppers and onions mixed in) and, after letting the mixture cool a bit, I’ll mix directly with the potatoes before topping with cheese. I may also try with turkey bacon since that is what I have in my refrigerator right now.

Keri McLauchlin says:

I am hooked on your website. (Thanks Jenn Southworth!!) And when I saw this I knew I had to make it. My house smells amazing and I can hardly wait to eat all this bacon-ny goodness. I think I have the next several months of dinner menues ready thanks to your website and cookbook. Thanks for all your hard work ladies. You are helping to make my life (and that of my hubby and kiddos) very tasty.

Suzanne says:

Oh. My. Dear. I just took this out of the oven and it smells absolutely divine. Waiting 15 min before serving is definitely going to be the hardest part of the recipe.

Jennifer_thiessen@sd33.bc.ca says:

can you make this without the milk…maybe extra eggs instead?

Kristique says:

I would try it with some soy milk or unsweetened unflavored almond milk. You don’t want to lose that creaminess that milk adds! Admittedly, I have not tried this recipe with substitutes, but I just wanted to suggest it in case it works well for you :)

Rachel says:

Just made this for mothers day breakfast, and it is totally watery! The taste is good and I love the idea. Also the potatoes aren’t done all the way. I defrosted them and even par-steamed them. Still not all the way done. I will try this again with 1/4 c milk and completely cooked potatoes.

Amanda says:

I NEVER eat stuff like this. . . I’m kind of a health freak, but my husband is Afghanistan, so I put this together yesterday then baked it this morning for my own Mother’s day breakfast. I needed a little comfort food. :) I used Alexia rosemary and olive oil oven reds, chopped them up once they were thawed and they were SO yummy in this! Very delicious recipe! My kids didn’t want to eat it, but oh well! Thanks for the idea for comfort food!

April says:

Delish breakfast casserole~approved by the “I-don’t-like-breakfast-casseroles-husband”! I think it could us another egg or two, and has anyone ever used fresh, slighly cooked fresh potatoes? I bet that would make it even tastier as I don’t care too much for frozen hashbrowns.

BethAshley says:

I made this for Mother’s day brunch and an extra one for my bf to take to his friend’s house… (It was a bribe to get him out of the house so we could have a girls day) It was so easy and turned out FANTASTIC! Thank you for this wonderful suggestion. I served it with a berry/pear fruit salad, mimosas and a dallop of sour cream.

Also for those with the watery/undercooked comments, this happened to mine too. It needed another 30 min in the oven, but after that was perfect… YUM!

Heather P says:

I made this for a Mother’s Day brunch that I had for some friends on Friday. Everyone raved. And for me for Mother’s Day? My husband did a great job of reheating it in the microwave and serving me. Just as delish as 3-day-old left-overs as it was fresh out of the oven. This will definately be a recipe that sticks around in our house!

Nicole M. says:

I made this for Mother’s Day and it turned out great with the exception of the potatoes. They were a bit undercooked. I used the Simply Potatoes from the refrigerated section. Since the bag was a bit less than 4 cups, I also bought a bag of frozen Ore-Ida Postates with onion and peppers. These potatoes were cut in cubes, but much smaller than the Simply Potatoes. They cooked much better. Next time, I will use those for the entire 4 cups of potatoes. If you use the Simply potatoes, you will need to cut them smaller in order for them to cook.

Nicole M. says:

FYI – I used the 9×13 pan.

Sherri says:

Made this first thing this morning for tonight; can’t wait.

This would be a hearty and tasty breakfast bake!

Tara says:

My family gobbled this up! We added green chili mixed into the potatoes (since that’s what people in New Mexico do) and it was extra yummy :-)

Linzi Hansen says:

WOW!!! I made this for my family and they loved. All four of my kids, my Mom who was visiting, and I ate it right up. I had to ask them to stop so I could save some for my Husband who was working late. Thanks so much!!! This is definitely going on our regular menu!!

Keri says:

AWESOME! I made this, this weekend, everyone loved it and asked for the recipe!

susan says:

A HUGE hit – thumbs up all around. The kids usually aren’t big fans of breakfast casseroles BUT…this was heavy on potatoes – no soggy bread and BACON! LOVE it! Any suggestions for getting more of the flavor mixed in with the potatoes on the bottom? Possibly toss the potatoes together with the cheeses? One of my children suggested we replace the pepper with Old Bay.

Susan–Yeah, you could just toss everything together before popping it in the oven. Or…you could saute the potatoes for a few minutes in the rendered bacon grease. Shhhh. Don’t tell your doctor I told you that. :)

Josie says:

I am making this for dinner tonight but we aren’t green onion fans over here, and I was wondering if I should just omit the onions, or if I should do something to substitute the loss of that flavor! Thanks, you guys are the best!!

Josie, you could substitute some diced yellow, white, or red onion, or a little grated onion, or even some onion powder. All of those would add the flavor without the green :)

Eloise says:

Can you use evaporated milk instead of regular milk?

Catherine says:

I made this for my family last weekend and it was a HUGE hit!! I couldn’t find grated pepperjack cheese so I had to do the grating myself but besides that, it was SO easy and delicious! THanks so much!

Carly says:

I’ll have you know, Kate, that we are making this for father’s day tomorrow! haha. So there!

Susan J says:

Amen for Bacon! This is exactly what I was looking for! Awesome, thanks!

Rosemary Mensch says:

I didn’t read where you told how many eggs to use.

Robi says:

Looks like I’ve found breakfast for Christmas morning!

Tania says:

I am sooo making this Christmas morning!! Talk about easy, doing it up the night before, just what I was looking for, but I need a better accompaniment than fruit. Christms Day is my cheat day:) Any suggestions??

timi says:

I made it for Christmas Morn and it was yummy. Used tator tots for the potato as that is what I had in the freezer AND used sausage not bacon and it was wonderful. I wanted to fry an egg and server it over the casserole! yummy, thanks…

Brandi says:

Dang, girl! This cass was so good. I prepared it last night and cooked it this morning for our Christmas brunch. Everyone loved it. I’ll definitely use this recipe next time I want to make another breakfast casserole.

Margaret E says:

Eggcellent! I tried it today and will use this recipe again in the future. I’ve seen this recipe before using a pound o’ sausage and bread cubed up. I liked the bacon (bacon fanatic!) and potatoes (easier!) much more. I did use less cheese (only 2 cups, maybe 2.5 cups) and it was still awesome. Thanks!! I liked comment about tater tots and may try that next time.

Diana says:

Made this today for Christmas breakfast. I used sausage instead of bacon, added green peppers and mushrooms and used regular onions instead off green. It was a big hit.

Wendy says:

Made this for Husband’s birthday, it was delicious. I added 1/2 teaspoon shallot salt and smoked paprika (Penzey’s Spices; love them!) to egg mixture. Baked in 9″X13″ pan for 40 mins. Next time I will sauté potatoes with onions and bacon fat to add flavor per Kate’s suggestion.

holly says:

I found this on Pinterest and am making this for a TopChef brunch competition at church!!!! Thx!

Liz says:

Cindi says:

Oh Yeah! I am trying this for easter breakfast.

Melissa K says:

I have this in the fridge right now! I normally don’t like breakfast casseroles (too much egg) but this one sounds great plus it uses bacon (my daughters fav!) and not sausage…can’t wait to enjoy it Easter morning!

Mary Beth says:

I love breakfast casseroles and tried this one because of the bacon (my guy loves bacon!). Good flavor but I think it could use more eggs/milk. It was a bit dry initially but I added more milk and reheated it 2 days later and it was much better. I’ll definitely try again but will add another egg or two. FYI, the Idaho Sunrise is one of our favorites for breakfast now. If you haven’t tried that one you’re missing out!!!

I want to make this for 12 or more people, if I doubled the recipe would it still fit in one 9×13 pan or would I need two?

Lindsey Peterson says:

We’ve made this twice now, in Phoenix (so not a high altitude) and both times it was REALLY watery/liquidy when we cut into it. Any ideas?

Made this for a ladies brunch today and it was sooo good, the best breakfast casserole I have ever had. I cooked the potatoes in the bacon grease definitely a must. I also added one additional egg and kept the milk at 2/3 cup. I live in Salt Lake in the hills, so high elevation. Thanks Kate!

becca says:

Great idea! I just made this with some modifications for my preferences. I used potatoes o’brien hashbrowns, a 9×13 pan, an extra egg and about 1/3 cup more milk, red onion diced finely instead of green, and extra cheese and, and I didn’t completely stirr the ingredients but I kind of mixed them in the dish. I also covered @ 375 and then about 30-40 minutes. It was nicely brown around the edges like I like it and potatoes and eggs were cooked to perfection! Thanks for the recipe def a keeper

Kylie says:

I just wondered about how many should this serve? Especially if we’re pigs, and i’m also making your overnight cinnamon rolls recipe.. There’s about 6-8 people coming and I don’t know if I should double it!

[...] Potato Bacon Casserole (recipe here) [...]

Joan says:

Delicious! Thanks!

Dacia says:

Can it be refrigerated longer than 8 hrs? I am making it now for tomorrow morning. I need to know if I should bake it tonight after 8 hrs, or if it’ll be just as good in 20 hrs.

toni says:

I’ve made this twice and the only thing I don’t use is the onions and I have to cook it for almost an hour and a half… I use a stoneware pie pan and my aunt who I got the recipe from had no problem. I’m a little disappointed about having problems cooking the casserole. But it does taste great when it does cook properly!

Wendy says:

Prepared for Christmas morning with some changes. It was fantastic and everyone raved about it! I used 5 eggs and an additional 1/2 cup milk. Only one cup of cheddar and no other cheese. My cooked scallions looked wilty and unappetizing, so I tossed them out and put fresh scallions instead. Remaining ingredients/instructions the same. Thank you so much! This is now a Christmas staple!

Tina says:

Made this for back-to-school breakfast today. Used 3 med russet potatoes, diced them up, microwaved them for a few mins to partially cook them, but otherwise followed the recipe, and it worked perfectly. Tasty! Only thing I would do differently next time is a bit more salt & pepper on the potatoes since the store bought ones would have had more seasoning already, and my potatoes could’ve used a heavier hand. Oh, and would skip the green onions –not because I don’t like them–but because my picky kiddo objected to them (sigh). Thanks!

[...] recipe adapted from: our best bites [...]

[...]  Cake Batter Pancakes Banana Bread French Toast  Fresh Blueberry Cake Mix Muffins Easy Potato and Bacon Casserole Gluten Free Oatmeal Cups Peanut Butter and Jelly French ToastHope you find the perfect [...]

lolabelle says:

I made this and it was delish! I have never really liked egg casserole things. The only issue I had was that the potatoes were not cooked thru and my potatoes were completely thawed for the recipe. Next time I would par cook potatoes. This reheated well also.

Carol says:

I am going to make this for Sunday morning. First of all, what size is the lovely dish your made your casserole in? What do you thin about using the pre-cooked bacon? Do you think I could add spinach and/or fresh mushroons? And what could I sub for pepper jack cheese?

Kate, do you think this would be okay if made a couple of days ahead of time? I’m wanting to make it for my parents this weekend but will need to prep it Thursday! Will it have sogginess issues do you think? I’m excited to make it! Love all that bacon. Thanks!

Julianne Cook says:

Can I bake this in a non-stick pan? If so, how much should I adjust the temp?

Liz says:

I have to say that I made this for the Mother’s Day brunch this year, and it was a huge hit! My family loved it, and so did I!! Thanks for sharing this great recipe.

Meg says:

I made this for Fathers Day weekend this morning and the eggs were still very runny and not cooked all the way. I had to stick this back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes. I used the pie pan so maybe that had something to do with it? Other than that it was a great recipe and my husband loved it.

NanaRose says:

I would use sweet onions instead of green onions and add red and green peppers to add color to the casserole.

[…] in Canada on Monday and while my mom looks after the turkey dinner, I think this would be a great breakfast to tide us over until supper […]

[…] Easy Bacon and Potato Breakfast Casserole from Our Best Bites […]

[…]  Cake Batter Pancakes Banana Bread French Toast  Fresh Blueberry Cake Mix Muffins Easy Potato and Bacon Casserole Gluten Free Oatmeal Cups Peanut Butter and Jelly French […]

[…] Bacon and Potato Breakfast Casserole [by Our Best Bites] […]

Flora says:

A lady I know brought this casserole to church for a breakfast. It was so good, she gave me the recipe. I can’t wait to try it myself. Thanks for the recipe.

Shannon says:

I made this for breakfast this weekend. I have tried and tried to find a breakfast casserole that I LOVE. I’ve made many over the years and while they are all ok, I have yet to find one that can be a “go-to”. That has all changed. Even my “I hate breakfast casserole” husband liked this. I will say that the kids claimed it was spicey, but I just noticed a pleasant heat from it. That being said, I will likely put in more cheddar than pepper jack next time for their sake. I also think I would prefer it to be just a bit more eggy. So I am thinking of adding an extra egg or two into it next time. I had NO problems with it being watery/soggy at all. In fact, it was all pleasantly browned on the bottom and edges. Possibly those that are having issue with it didn’t have their potatoes all the way thawed? In any case, I LOVE this casserole and it is what we will be eating on Christmas morning. Thanks for another hit!!

[…] Breakfast Casserole with Sweet Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, and Cheese {Kalyn’s Kitchen} Potato and Bacon Breakfast Casserole {Our Best Bites} Ham and Cheese Souffle Casserole {FoodieCrush} Breakfast Casserole made with […]

Jessi says:

Can I bake this in a store bought throw away pie pan?

[…] Easy Potato and Bacon Breakfast Casserole […]

Victoria says:

I have a large family, so I’ll need to double this! How long should I cook this in a 9×13 with double ingredients??

Kim Hatchett says:

The bacon casserole turned out great! I used fresh potatoes, didn’t have to soak over night and used 10 eggs and it was a hit!

Samantha Marshall says:

Can I use another cheese besides the pepper jack?

Alisa says:

Awesome! Made as directed for an extended family gathering today and everyone LOVED it! I expect it would be easy to tweak with another meat or add’l veggies. Thanks!

[…] are delicious, some mornings I want something a little more filling.  My go-to side dish is this potato casserole, but since it’s not the healthiest (and I’m not willing to leave out […]

bree says:

Why do you have to refrigerate overnight?