Lemon bars are one of those things like Lost and Oprah that I know, in theory, I should love, but when it comes down to it, there’s something about them that I struggle with. Hey, I dedicated a lot of my soul to Lost only to be left sad and confused. I thought I was over last year’s series finale, but watching this video just made me super mad all over again.

J.J. Abrams and Carlton Cuse, you’re on my list, dudes.

Anyway, I have lemon bar issues. And it doesn’t totally make sense–shortbread? Good. Lemon? Good. Powdered sugar? Good. But my problem is those stupid eggs. I’ve mentioned it again and again, but I really don’t like anything with any overly eggy flavor and that seems to be why I don’t love most lemon bars (or lemon meringue pie, for that matter). I do love, love, love Sara’s Creamy Lemon Bars because I think the cream cheese helps with the egginess, but regular lemon bars usually just make my throat close up.

Except for this recipe.

I don’t know if it’s the sweet, lemony glaze or if the proportions are just different enough from other lemon bar recipes or if the baking time is just a little shorter (thus avoiding the horror of overcooked eggs–seriously, stuff nightmares are made of!), but these are not only my favorite classic lemon bars, but the only classic lemon bars that I’ll eat. And I will eat way more of them than I need to, so if my local friends and neighbors suddenly find lemon bars on their doorsteps, you know where they came from!

First, you need to preheat the oven to 350. Then, for the shortbread crust, you’ll just need flour, powdered sugar, and butter.

Whisk together the flour and powdered sugar…

Cut in 2 sticks of softened butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture is crumbly…

And then transfer the mixture to a 9×13″ pan lightly coated with cooking spray.

Gently press the mixture into the pan so it’s even,

and then bake it for 15-20 minutes or until the crust is light golden around the edges.

While the crust is in its last few minutes in the oven, use an electric mixer on high speed to mix together the filling ingredients: eggs, sugar, strained lemon juice, a little flour, and some baking powder.

Mix it for about 3 minutes or until it’s very, very pale yellow. Then pour the mixture over the warm crust…

Pop that baby back into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is very light golden brown. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely.

When the bars are completely cool, whisk together a cup of powdered sugar with a few tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and then spread it over the cooled bars. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. When ready to serve, cut into squares, rectangles, or triangles (or hey, circles, parallelograms, or octagons if you’re feeling adventurous–who am I to stop you?!) You can sprinkle grated lemon zest or additional powdered sugar on top of the bars (although these are quite sweet already and more powdered sugar might be overkill). Prepare yourself for lots of love and compliments, even from people who claim to not love lemon (like my husband) or lemon bars (like me).

Cassie says:

Heavens. These look delicious. I think these are what I am using my four extra lemons on. xx

janiece says:

Oh my, my mouth is watering!

Not a huge fan of the Lost finale, but I can live with it. I could answer a lot of the questions from that video, but goodness they come fast!

I think some of the early story lines got dropped because a handful of the actors were running wild & getting arrested. That is why they suddenly killed off Anna and Libby (who was clearly going to have something going with Hugo!), and I think why Michael left. When Michael left, they had to ditch Walt too, who was going to grow too old too quickly anyway. They obviously had a lot planned for him though.

As for the lemon bars, I’m not usually a fan, but you’ve got me curious!!

Kelli says:

Oh how I wish I hadn’t used the last of my eggs to make Black Bean Brownies last night! Oh well – maybe this will be our dessert next week! They look so yummy and I LOVE LOVE LOVE lemon bars! (If I had known they were this easy to make, I probably would have made them last night instead of brownies).

Dezi A says:

YUM! I also have never really enjoyed lemon bars for the exact same reason. I’m excited to try these. Thanks!

Natalie Adams says:

This is almost identical to the lemon square recipe my family uses. I LOVE them. TOO much. I agree, the mushy, eggy ones are not as good. But these, HEAVEN!

btw, I am LOVING your cookbook! Everything is SO delicious!

Natalie says:

Natalie…you have the same name as me. (My maiden name Natalie Adams :) Never met anyone with the same name! I should try these for my husband because anything with too much egg he can detect a mile away. :) Agree with Lost comment too…as for Oprah, nothing but love there from me. Thanks for all the great recipes ladies! Everything I make is delicious!

I am totally with about Lost. I LOVED that show. And I just get angry when I think about the ending; it’s like all the writers gave up at the same time and said “Let’s just end this sucker!”

Lemon bars should help ease the pain and frustration. Thanks.

Yummy! I will have to try these, I love lemon.

These look so good. You know what’s crazy weird? Creamy Lemon Bars were one of the very first recipes I ever posted on the blog, and yesterday of all days I re-took the photos and updated the post! We really do have some crazy brain-sharing thing going on…

Melissa says:

I have also always hated lemon bars for the eggy texture. I happen to have some lemons that need using and I am freezing so turning on the oven sounds great! Thanks!

Molly Piper says:

I totally feel you on the lemon thing. I really like lemon, but I struggle with lemon bars/lemon desserts.

I’m the same way with key lime, too. (I’m sure there are people who would disown me as friends because of that statement.)

I guess it’s just a preference thing for me. I’ve always subscribed to the mantra: “If it’s not chocolate, it’s not dessert.” So I guess that kinda tips my hand about how I feel about fruity desserts. :)

jenna says:

what a fun twist on the classic lemon bar! these look fab!

Christal says:

those look amazing! But I thought Lost was the best finale I ever saw of any finale! But each to their own! Love your website and the cookbook is to die for every single thing I’ve made from it was amazing!!!Thank you!!

Pam says:

OMG! I have those same questions for LOST. That was a great video. The lemon bars sound so good and I have been wanting something lemony.

Sugar Plum says:

For lemony lemon bars I add lemon zest from one lemon to the shortbread crust! Yum!

Erika says:

I actually think a lot of those questions were answered satisfactorily. There’s also a 12 minute epilogue to the series (Google “Lost Epilogue Online” to find it) that explains a few things. We just finished watching the series all the way through a second time, and watching it the second time I started to view the whole series as a sort of dialogue between science and religion; there are some things that can be explained by science (women can’t stay pregnant because a hydrogen bomb was detonated on the island), but there are many things that fall into the island’s religious schema. Like many things religious, some times you don’t completely understand the logic of it all (scientifically explain water into wine to me?), but you accept its truth because you have faith.

I’m not saying Lost is a religion we should practice, but when I view the series as a representation of the relationship between reason and faith, many of those unanswered questions don’t bother me as much.

When in doubt, I always assume it was the smoke monster’s fault.

And the lemon bars look delicious. :)

YumYumYum! And now that I have my kitchen back, I can make them!

Michelle says:

I’m laughing that everyone has to first register their vote for or against Lost! Ha! I only got through the first 4 episodes, then had a baby and DVRd the next three years, never to watch but using up my whole DVR. Whoops!

I’m a BIG fan of Ina Garten’s Lemon Bars – (I think the key is that the filling has tons of lemon zest). But your recipe looks to-die-for! The glaze, are you kidding me? Yes! Even though I am a lemon bar fan, I’ve always hated the messy, inhale-able powdered sugar on the top! Can’t wait to try these!!!

DeRae says:

I thought you said that cream cheese was in it?

jaesi says:

Also a faithful watcher of Lost who was like What?? when it ended here.

I haaate eggy flavor as well. Like the german pancakes. I call those sweet eggs. blick!

If ever I try a lemon bar, it will be these :)

HA! I hate German pancakes, too for the exact same reason!

• Kirsti says:

I love lemon bars and anything lemon. I have never met a lemon anything i dont like. But i totally agree about eggy items! german pancakes are definitely on my list of things i strongly dislike! its like eating eggs, although id much rather eat scrambled eggs or something!

Ashton says:

I completely agree with you about Lost…so much time and such an unsatisfying ending! On another note, I just started making a few of your recipes and they are great! Thank you!

Sara Grant says:

These are almost exactly like the ones we make. Soooo good and the only lemon bars I like. Love that they have the glaze too. Love that so much more than just powdered sugar and the choking as you inhale your first bite. No thank you!

Just yesterday my husband said he should make lemon bars to take to scouts tonight. Which means I’ll probably end up making them.

Katie says:

I have been looking for dessert to make today, and I was even on your site last night, but I thought I’d check one last time…and you saved me! I am so doing these. Thank you thank you!!

Katie says:

just an update…i made them–maybe i could have cooked them a bit loger, but I was worried about overcooked egginess. I refrigerated them for a long time, but then we went to the party and they sat on the counter until after dinner…that was a mistake. they were good, but runny. but then I took the leftovers home a put them in the fridge for the night and then they were fabulous! not as tart as a traditional lemon bar, but good lemon flavor all the same. I also put a bit of raspberry glaze over the top and made them raspberry lemonade bars:) I think I will learn from my mistakes and make these again soon! Thanks!

Julie says:

I have a question – where does the cream cheese come in? (mentioned in your write up). I love ALL your recipes – and so does my family! THANKS for sharing!

Thesha says:

I LOVE lemon bars, I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Phyllis Jones says:

these look yummy, but you mentioned cream cheese and there is no cream cheese in the ingredient list. maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me since i just woke up

the emily says:

Love lemon bars! yum.

and now I have to stand up for my show. If you want answers, you were watching the wrong show. The finale showed us that the show was about relationships and redemption, not science fiction, not time travel, not polar bears, none of that mattered. They would have answered it if it mattered. We got lots more answers than the producers give credit for (Sun didn’t go back to 1977 because she wasn’t a candidate, everyone else was)…I have about 47 posts about LOST on my blog but my husband’s post about the finale sums it up best for me: http://emilyssomething.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-lost-finale.html

(and lots of the questions in that video are addressed, if you’re interested.)

Oh, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the show…but I do feel like a sucker for getting caught up in the details. And the cynic in me feels like they didn’t respect their viewers enough to think they could handle a show about love, redemption, and relationships, so they had to use these cheap, unanswered questions, suspense, and sci-fi elements to get people to come back every week. There are plenty of shows that I LOVE that are about redemption and relationships where I didn’t feel like I got played in the end.

• I just read your post and I actually agree largely with what you said–in spite of the show’s flaws, I still loved the characters in the end (with the exception of Kate, but I never loved her) and ultimately, it was about them. The show was literally, though, and I’m not sure how they could have ended things differently, unless they had a very specific map from the beginning.

Britt says:

Don’t even get me started about Lost…

I absolutely LOVE citrus flavored desserts. Sometimes even more than chocolate (I know… go ahead and gasp)! And traditional lemon bars are a favorite of mine because they remind me of my childhood. My Dad always made them because he was allergic to chocolate.

Jolynn Keel says:

I have always felt the same way about lemon bars!!! And it IS the eggs. I usually cannot gag them down, so I am excited to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Heather says:

oh geesh. what a time to be starting weight watchers. maybe these are just a point….or maybe i’ll just have to save up my points so i can eat the whole pan…

I’m very picky about lemon desserts but I think I’d really like these. I’m glad you finally found a lemon bar you could enjoy:-)

I leave the pulp in my lemon bars and add a little zest to the filling. I like the idea of the glaze, I have to try that.

Have you ever tried making lime bars? Oh yum!!!

Ally says:

A friend of mine at work brought in a version of this recipe with 3 c of coconut added to the lemon filling. It was toasty, lemony, sweet….. totally masks the egg factor. I will definitely try the glaze as well!

Alice says:

Love your site by the way.

Funny that you talking about Lost is what got me to comment for the first time.

After about season 3 I started to have my doubts. As it when on and on I just knew in my heart that they had no idea where they were going with this. So so sad . . . Lost went from being my favorite show to being the most senseless thing I’ve ever seen.

Oh and I make your strawberry pie and you Greek Pitas constantly. Best things ever.

Nancy L says:

I was totally lost watching LOST! But I did love me some Josh Holloway! I tried to understand what was going on, but after a while it got so confusing…I did love all the nick-names Freckles, Doc, etc…

I think I am going to try these lemon bars today! They look soooo good!

I am so with you on Oprah. Please don’t lynch me, those who love her–I know she does a lot of good and everything and I don’t *dislike* her–but I “struggle”, as Kate put it, to really get on board that Oprah train…. rather, it’s probably more like an ark probably.

I’ve only seen a few episodes of Lost so I can’t really comment on it.

Anyway, lemon bars! :D Never been a fan but I love everything you guys makes so”ll be giving these a try!

Gina says:

You don’t love Oprah?!?!?!?!

Kristin says:

I feel the EXACT same way about lemon bars as you do! And anything “eggy” for that matter:) thx for posting this. I’m totally making these!

Tamara says:

So…I would imagine you are not a fan of flan either??? I hate the stuff…tastes like cold slimy eggs to me. I am so-so on lemon bars…while I love lemonade, lemon candies, etc. I have never been a fan of lemon baked goods. But my husband would most definitely love these! :)

Kelseyk says:

These are in the oven RIGHT NOW!!

Desi says:

For some reason, Kate’s recipes never show up! I just see the title and a place to make comments. Help!

Patti says:

Let me express my never-ending love and devotion to you for yet another amazing recipe. How do you DO it?
    I never started watching Lost. Glad I didn’t! As for Oprah, I guess I won’t be watching that anymore after today! (I didn’t really watch much as I’m at work when she’s on and I don’t DVR or Tivo.

Domestic Diva North says:

I have been searching for a good lemon bar recipe for YEARS. This looks like it MAY be the one I have been looking for – so making these this weekend!

Kandice says:

I have never really liked lemon bars either, so I’ll have to see if these are any different. I do have one recipe for “lemon bars” that I LOVE. You get an angel food cake mix and mix in 1 can of lemon pie filling. Seriously, that’s it. 2 ingredients. Mix and mix until it’s all moistened, and it will start to get kinda foamy. Just pour it into a cake pan and bake with the instructions for a regular angel food cake. SOOOO good! It gives you all the loveliness of lemon without the icky texture of regular lemon bars. Might have to head to the store now. :)

Shannon Jones says:

I love your website….I look at it all the time! 2 of my sons were just recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance…..I am now learning to alter a lot of recipes. Do you have any great gluten free recipes? Thanks a ton! Shannon Jones

I love lemon bars and I love LOST. Thank you for posting about both of these things. The season finale was such a huge flop. But these lemon bars look awesome! I don’t like anything lemon except for lemon bars.

gary's girl says:

I love lemon bars so I can’t wait to try these!!! :)

Melissa says:

I had no problems with the ending of Lost (I don’t know why, but I was just at peace with it), but that video clip had me cracking up! There are about a billion unanswered questions, aren’t there!

mindy says:

Now I want some of those bars!!

I loved loved loved LOST and I was perfectly happy with the ending. I like that they left some questions to be answered in our own way. That made the whole thing more personal.

And the emily….I loved that blog post.

Julie D. says:

Those lemon bars look delicious! And I have to say “amen” to what you said about Lost! (Love the vid!) I started watching it during the second season and eventually my husband and then even later my daughter watched it with me! I was stunned by the ending! I can’t even bring myself to watch the reruns on Netflix! My husband and daughter on the other hand, LOVED it and are competing to see who finishes all of the seasons first! Arrrgggg! But then again, they both loved “Inception”! Figures!
    I better go buy some lemons!

We had an “Our Best Bites” dinner tonight. We had the Asian BBQ Chicken which everyone enjoyed and these lemon bars for dessert. For years I had been looking for the perfect lemon bar recipe with little success. I did find one complicated recipe we liked pretty well, but not as much as these. The only change I made was to add the zest of the lemon to the filling. I thought they had the perfect preportion of crust and filling. I think the problem with most bars is there is too much eggy filling, with an almost acidic tang to it that overpowers the shortbread crust. These are perfect. Thanks! PS: We couldn’t wait for the refrigeration part. Just cooled them and they cut nicely.

Linda says:

You mentioned cream cheese takes care of the eggyness, but I didn’t see it in the recipe. Wasn’t sure if I misunderstood. They look delicious!

Katie Tyler says:

this is the recipe my mom always made and the only one I will eat! her directions say to mix it in the blender which I love because it is the easiest clean up ever :) now I guess I need to go make some and think of my cute mom!

Jellybean says:

I am so excited to try this recipe. I have tried so many different recipes and they NEVER turn out. And I LOVE…LOVE….LOVE…lemon bars. These look wonderful.

Jellybean says:

Are you two ever thinking of doing a book signing in the Good ol’ town of Rexburg, Idaho :)

Katie says:

Totally agree with you on the Lost thing. Thinking about the ending does make me cringe…it started off so well and totally fell flat at the end. But I bet these bars will not. I’ll be trying them this week! Thanks!

Trisha says:

Umm…where did you get my recipe? haha I’ve been making this recipe for years now and always get compliments. I got it from my MIL when I married her sweet son 14 years ago. The only difference is the glaze at the end. I just sprinkle with the powdered sugar. I think I will try that little touch. Fun!

Melissa says:

I’ve never commented before but have to say something about Lost. The brilliance of Lost was that rather than just telling us a story they made us a part of it and let us truly experience it. The whole show was a metaphor for life and how in the end we may not have the answers but it was the relationships, the sacrifices and faith that really mattered. They could have just told us that but instead they let us live it by making us care about mysteries and unanswered questions and then in the end didn’t give us the answers. They lured us into caring about the unimportant things and made us forget about what was really important just like real life can. We can get caught up in having the answers or we can love the journey for itself in life and in Lost.

Can’t wait to try the lemon bars!

I am A HUGE fan of “Lost”. I miss it everyday. I’m with you 100% on your struggle. I feel the same way. Now about these lemon bars. Please someone get a towel. I’m drooling. Lemon + Lanell = LOVE.

Jordyn says:

This is my favorite lemon bar recipe, too! I have a very similar one that I use from an old company cookbook from my dad’s work. I think the sweet lemon glaze makes the whole bar. I have never liked lemon bars that only have powdered sugar sprinkled on top. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Jackie says:

I totally made these tonight… and WOW… they are to die for! I actually used marg instead of butter, and used half the sugar too!…. and still they turned out unbelievable! I can only imagine how good they must be with butter and the full amount of sugar! Thanks for the recipe ladies… you never fail!

dena Rotella says:

I found many cool recipes on your site…alot don’t have the link to print. When I copy and paste them…they lose their format. Why don’t they all have the PRINT THIS REcIPE link?

Martha says:

I made these and the top is light brown, so I took them out of the oven and was letting them cool completely. But then I noticed that under the light brown top, is a really still gooey filling. I feel like I need to put them back in the oven to cook longer. Will this filling solidify as it cools?

• They should be a little gooey when they’re done, but they’ll definitely firm up in the fridge as they cool. You just definitely don’t want to overbake them because they’ll taste sulfur-y and eggy (like overbooked scrambled eggs).

Kathy says:

I devoted much of my life as well to Lost–I’m with you on that Lost thing. It’s funny I was thinking about that last episode just the other day. Begin with the END in mind people!

The Lemon Bars are very similar to my Grandma’s recipe except for the sweet lemon glaze–definitely will try that next time.

Renee says:

I use a recipe that’s almost exact to this one (without the glaze). I got it from a co-worker, so I wonder if the original recipe is from the Pillsbury cookbook. I never liked lemony or tart desserts before this, and now I’m hooked!!!

Martha says:

Also, is there any other way to test if it is done? besides the light brown top? Maybe I beat it too long because it seems like a meringue on top and then foamy stuff underneath :(

Really, the best way to check is visually, but you could always insert a thermometer into the center. When it reaches 160, it’s safe to pull them out of the oven. It might seem kind of meringue-y on top, but that will probably puff back down when you’re done. Honestly, everything you’re describing sounds very normal. How did they turn out?

• Martha says:

You were right about the fridge. I still think I could have left them in a little longer, but they ended up solidifying in the fridge – except for the middle (which my husband couldn’t wait to cut a piece from – he’s nice, he knows the rest of us fight over the corner pieces). thanks for your help today.

Jennie says:

Being pregnant and looking at your blog is dangerous…but in a good way :) LOVE your blog. I always know that if I try a recipe from you two, I will NEVER be disappointed. Can’t wait to try these! Kate and Sara, you both are amazing! Thank you for making cooking exciting again for me!

Those look yummy! I was wondering if I could make them with key lime juice?

Laura says:

These are fantastic! Perfect light sweet to take for a holiday weekend at the lake.

Angi says:

MMM MMM good. These look yummy. Must try these. :)

kate says:

You need to try this recipe for Lemon Cream Bars… no eggs and SO delicious.

Vanessa says:

This recipe sounds perfect! I am a big lemon bar fan but the powdered sugar top can be a mess. This takes care of that problem! No more powdered sugar cough or powdered sugar on my shirt :) he he

luv2cook says:

I really <3 ur guys website.

Cassie says:

I made these the other day and they were the absolute best lemon treat I’ve ever had!!!

Holly says:

First of all, I adore your website. Every recipe I’ve tried has been top notch wicked good. :) Next, I made these bars for a church function a few nights ago and have had a ton of people request the recipe! I’ll be sending them all your way. :) These bars were to die for and even my husband who doesn’t just love sweets asked me to make them again today. :) So much for the diet. Just wanted you to know that all of your hard work is so appreciated. Thank you, thank you!

Amesnfires says:

Had to say that I also had a problem with lemon bars egg flavor. So one day I added a tsp. of vanilla to the filling and wa-la, there was no eggy flavor. I also add the zest of the lemon & glaze the top. So wonderful and such an easy fix.

Jenny says:

I saw this post and was like, ok making those like NOW!. I think I had some issues with the crust, how? I cannot tell you, it looked so easy. Then as I was baking them the top of the custard part started to look too brown so I took them out but then they weren’t set up all the way. OY! I will most def try them again. My husband even tried them the way they came out and said,”They were good.” I of course never let any sugar go to waste…haha. Next time!

Dayna says:

2 things

Thinking of Lost still makes me feel weird in my tummy.

My Lemon Bar recipe that I got from a good friend is the same as these but 1/2 cup less sugar in the filling. They rock…the glaze makes it.

Oh ditto on the eggy thing…so 3 things I guess

Pam Adams says:

I made these and loved them. They turned out perfect in everyway! Thanks so much for all your fun food ideas!

Sarah says:

I made these and they were a hit! Like you, people who were not lemon bar fans loved them! However, I did not have lemons but I did have a bottle of key lime juice so I guess I actually made lime bars. But, they still turned out great! Thanks for the recipe =)

Marlo says:

Oh my gosh…. thank you for a such a WONDERFUL recipe.

I made it for a BBQ on Sunday and everyone raved it was so delicious. Since there were no leftovers, I decided to make it again on Monday.. for the same group of people. No one complained it was the same dessert. In fact, they devoured it. Again, I came home with an empty pan. My sister in law who doesn’t like desserts, declared that this is her FAVORITE dessert!!

Thanks again for the delicious recipe!

Paulina says:

I don’t like anything with glazes… I don’t like the “mouth-feel” of them. Do you have any suggestions? Do you think I could just sprinkle powdered sugar on them like regular ol’ lemon bars?

Billie O. says:

I made these up last saturday. They were great! Everyone loved them. Thanks.

Christina says:

I just made these tonight and they turned out great! They won over my anti-lemon husband :) Thanks for another fabulous recipe!

Kathy says:

I made these the other night for our teachers’ meeting and boy, were they ever a hit!

Kelsey says:

These looked so good, I had to make them! So last night, I set up camp in the kitchen and had at it. But mine didn’t turn out as pretty as yours did. Maybe I beat the filling too long? The top kind of looked like meringue… and it started to get brown around 17 minutes, so I took it out… and it smelled like lemon meringue pie which I am not a fan of… after a few minutes, I noticed that under this meringue crust, was liquid! So I popped them back in the oven for about 10 more minutes and put foil over the top… not sure if they turned out that great since they are still in my fridge. Do you know what could have caused this? did I do something wrong?

thea says:

DELICIOUS! tastes just like lemon mirage pie, only in a bar! thanks for sharing!

Jen N. says:

I made the glazed lemon bars today and they are fantastic. I love that they are not tart and real lemony. They are more creamy. Once it cooled down, the sides crumbled and stayed raised around the edges of the middle part. So the edges are higher than the rest. Any suggestions as to why the edges did not sink down with the middle. I’m hoping next time I make them they will all be flat without the crumbly raised edges. Thanks for this recipe. It will be my go to lemon bar recipe now!

Elizabeth says:

I totally have the same problem with recipes that are overly eggy. I will definitely have to try these. Thanks! :)

Melissa says:

I made these a week or so ago and they were really good. I typically make the kind with lemon curd on top which is nice and tart and creamy. These will be my fall back and easy version. :)

Danielle M says:

I’m totally putting these in the oven for dessert :) I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! :)

Tracey L says:

I baked these a couple weeks ago. My family has begged me to make them again. ☺

Katie says:

Mmm! Making these right now!

Ashlee says:

These are DELICIOUS!!!! I’ve made lemon bars with several different recipes but this one was the best tasting by far, and the easiest to make. My husband is not big on deserts but he loved these and requested that I make them again for Father’s day. You must try these!

Lindsay says:

My sister made these for me and I can’t stop thinking about them. I’m making them today for my family. Thanks for the recipe!

Tracey L says:

Can’t believe it…but I’m baking these again! I’ve pretty much baked a batch a week since this recipe was published. They’re a family favorite!!

Melissa says:

For these Lemon Bars do you want the butter at room temp or not? In the How to: Cut in Butter” it says to always use cold butter.. what should I do?

Thanks!

Samantha Ball says:

These were delicious! My whole family LOVED them and it was all I could do to not eat the whole pan. Thanks for the recipe.

Lalani says:

So fabulous. So. Fabulous.

michelle l says:

just took them out of the oven i hope i can wait two hrs. They look yummy

Amanda says:

I have made these bars SEVERAL times in hopes that they will turn out right, I don’t know what I”m doing wrong , but they are always SO runny! I love the taste of them with the glaze, so that’s why I keep trying, but do you have any suggestions as to why they come out so runny every time? I have even tried leaving them in longer to bake…. but no cigar :(

This post couldnt be more precise!!!

Jen M says:

Do you think this would work with lime instead of lemon? I’m assuming they are interchangeable, but wanted to make sure before I make them to take for other people to eat. :)

Diane says:

I made these last night and am quite disappointed. I entered the ingredients in Google and found the recipe on other sites and read the reviews, which I should have done first. I will make a version of this again because I love lemons but I would reduce the sugar by half a cup, double the lemon and bake longer at 325. Our family loves sweets, but these taste only like sugar with a hint of lemon.

vk says:

I thought the last episode of Lost was amazingly wonderful and I have to say the same about these lemon bars!

Asia says:

I was very unpleased with the result of these lemon bars. I followed everything absolutely perfectly, and consider myself a fairly experienced baker. Beating the eggs until they are “frothy and very, very pale”, about 3 minutes caused them to have a crunchy crust like top on the bars after baking where the bubbles (froth) rose to the top. I pulled the bars out when they were lightly browned (the crunchy top was lightly browned anyway) and put them in the fridge overnight. When I cut into them the next morning the bars were too soft and didn’t hold their shape well when pulled apart. I also agree with Diane (comment 107) that these have too much sugar. They really do taste like lemon flavored sugar. I prefer a tart lemony taste and these just didn’t fit the bill.

Asia says:

I will also note that I was so unpleased with the result I would have been embarrased to take them to a BBQ like I had planned.

Pyper says:

I disagree with the last comments. These lemon bars are awesome and the only lemon bars I like. I think they must have made them wrong because they are super good.

Asia says:

Nope, I did not make them wrong. Other people have had the issue with the crunchy, crust like top as well (which is because of the long beating time, you are beating air into it and when it bakes it bakes UP and forms the light crust). However, I can see that people who don’t like TRADITIONAL lemon bars like these because they are basically lemon flavored sugar and taste nothing like the traditional. I will say that they lasted a LONG time in my house (because we didn’t rally care for them, but didn’t want to throw them in the garbage) and after several (5 or 6 days) the flavors mellowed and it was less sugary tasting. So like I said, if you don’t like traditional ones then I udnerstand why you like these. I don’t think they are really comparable to traditional ones though, which I like.

Michelle says:

I made these tonight with my 11 year old daughter and we LOVE them! I love the ratio of shortbread to the topping because I’m not a huge fan of the consistency of the lemon part (which is why I usually shy away from lemon bars.) I think I actually want a little more shortbread – it was delicious! Thank you!!

eloise says:

do you think it would be ok if i lined the pan with foil, so i can make perfect cuts to these bars?

Liz Anderson says:

I discovered that I didn’t have enough sugar while I was making the lemon filling (only had 1 cup), so I added sweetened coconut. It turned out pretty good.

Ashlee says:

I made these bars today (and I’ll just throw in there that I LOVE lemon bars), so I made these and followed the instructions and everything. I cooked the filling for 22-23 minutes, and it was nicely golden on top, so I was very optimistic. After chilling in the fridge with the glaze, I pulled them out to cut them, and they were runny! I was so disappointed. They still taste delicious, but they are super messy and didn’t hold their shape. I was taking them to a Relief Society function, so I had no choice at the last minute but pick out the firmest ones I could, but I’m really hoping to figure this out because they are good…

gigi says:

Thank you so much for the tip on making the icing! I used a different (not yours) recipe for my bars, and i felt they needed a boost of lemon power and something to make them set a bit more. This did the trick! I used the juice of 1 lemon and grated the skin of 2 lemons. Yummers! Thank you!

[…] better for you. I also tried my 5 year old daughter an she did alright. My casserole dish that had lemon bars in it worked the best though.  ;) My finished braid was 24 inches.   I used 6 strands […]