Don’t worry, those of you who have been around from the very beginning–your eyes aren’t deceiving you. This is a recipe I posted way back in the early, early days of the blog (back when we were The Daily Bite!) I have exactly 1/2 of a recipe ready to post and it is awesome. Unfortunately, right after I pulled the cakes out of the oven and set them out to cool, we got a call from the hospital saying my husband needed to check in immediately because some gallstones had to come out ASAP and his gallbladder needed to come out ASAP-ish. Turns out “immediately” in hospital lingo means several hours because that was late in the morning and now it’s 10:25 pm and I finally just walked in the door.
So. Try this recipe on for size. I’ll be back either later today or first thing tomorrow with an amazing Mother’s Day dessert, totally something straight from your childhood and still completely awesome all by itself.
P.S. For those of you in the Boise area, don’t forget to go see Sara today and tomorrow!!  Here are the times and places:

May 6th
Deseret Book, Eagle Road
5-7pm

May 7th
NAMPA Costco
12-1:30pm

* * * * * * *

I’ve been making this recipe ever since my sister brought it to a bridal shower (I can’t say how long ago it was without feeling old, and I can’t say “a number of years ago” without sounding old, so we’ll just say “awhile back.”)  She originally made it with Mandarin oranges, but I also love it with mangoes. The only piece of advice that I have is to find one that is VERY ripe; otherwise, the other flavors in the salad will overwhelm the flavor of the mango.

It starts with grilled Teriyaki Chicken,

and some diced celery and green onions.

Mix that up with some mayo and teriyaki sauce and chill in the fridge.

While that’s chilling you can chop up your mango,

And drain your pineapple

And toast the nuts…

Then right before serving, you toss it all together.

Serve on croissants or pitas with a lettuce leaf.  Simple, elegant, and delicious!

Teriyaki Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Recipe by Our Best Bites

2 chicken breasts
Kikkoman Teriyaki Baste and Glaze or 1 recipe of Teriyaki Sauce
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/3 C sliced green onions, chopped
1/4 c. sliced almonds, toasted
1 mango, cut into small cubes (or 1 small can of Mandarin oranges, drained)
1 small can pineapple tidbits OR roughly-chopped chunks
1/3-1/2 c. light mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Croissants or pitas
Lettuce leaves

Marinate chicken for at least 4 hours. Grill. While chicken is grilling, combine celery and green onions in a small mixing bowl or a plastic storage container with a lid. When chicken is done, allow to stand for about 10 minutes and then cut into bite-sized pieces. Toss with celery and onions and then add mayonnaise and mix thoroughly. Start with 1/3 c. and go from there. Add 2-3 (or more) tablespoons of Teriyaki sauce to taste. The thickness of the Kikkoman Baste and Glaze (or the homemade recipe) is important because it helps keep the dressing from becoming too runny. You want to add some of the yummy Teriyaki flavor, but you also don’t want it to be overwhelming. Refrigerate for several hours.

Right before serving, add mango, pineapple, and nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You may need to add more mayo and/or Teriyaki–if you need it, go for it! Serve on a lettuce leaf in a croissant or a pita (or by itself if you feel the urge!)

Katie says:

That looks sooooo good. Can’t wait to try it! I’ve been drooling over the recipes this week until my husband reminded me I don’t actually like mango. But I think I do now.

Marcy says:

YUM! I’ll be trying this for sure. Wish you were close enough to join me. Sniff sniff.

Sara says:

I love this salad! I especially love it with Mango.

Katie, just try the mango! Or, you could make it with the oranges :)

Stephanie says:

Mmm, this has been a favorite of mine ever since that time you made it for everyone in Provo. I had never had chicken salad with terriyaki and at the time I don’t think I even noticed that’s what was in it, but I LOVE this salad! I’ll have to try it with mango.

oh wow. . . that looks divine.

Adriann says:

Oh wow, that sounds SO good! I’ll have to make that this week. Yum!

I made this for Sunday lunch today. My family LICKED the bowl clean!!!!
    – My favorite chicken salad recipe TO DATE!!! Thanks Kate.

Aubri says:

We had this for dinner last night…SO good. We put it in pitas, which was good. Today for lunch, I had leftovers and just put it in lettuce to save a few calories. I think that I actually liked it better in the lettuce because it didn’t have any additional flavors to distract from the salad. This will go on my favorites list!! Thanks for the fab recipe!

Aubri says:

K…sorry…I know that I already left a comment about these, but seriously folks…these are amazing. I accidently thawed out chicken thighs instead of breasts, and let me tell you…ridiculous! This is seriously a brilliant recipe! Thanks!

Jaimie says:

I hate mayo, so therefore I hate chicken salad. However, I LOVE this. And so does my family. In fact, we are serving it Saturday at Evan's 1st birthday party!!!

Connie says:

Just curious…have you ever used costco canned chicken in this recipe or shredded chicken breats? If so, is it just as good?

I probably wouldn’t, just because the whole grill factor here totally kicks this up a notch. And, by the way, you’ve TOTALLY reminded me about this recipe and now I want it! :)

Amy says:

I made this all the time before I switched to a plant-based diet. It is delicious!

How perfect for summer! Looks great!

Ricki says:

My mouth is watering! I cannot wait to make this!

Denise Harris says:

I have never left a comment here before but I think it is high time that I did since I stalk your blog pretty much daily. I have loved every recipe that I have tried from the two of you and was just wondering if you ever planned on heading south ever as in Arizona??? Me and one of my friends always talk about “if” you ever came down here… Anyways we love what you do and would love to meet you someday.

I’m glad you are entering the world of comment-leaving! In terms of book signings, we go where they send us! We do have lots of fans in Arizona though- so maybe we’ll head down there!

Erin A says:

I found this one in the cookbook a couple of weeks ago and tried it out. It was a nice change from the traditional chicken salad.

I love chicken salad sandwiches! It’s the main reason I go to wedding receptions (j/k ………. ). :)

Jessica says:

This is going on my list this week!! I just made my Lemon-Pepper Chicken Salad though, so hopefully my family doesn’t get chicken saladed out. LOL :)

Angela A. says:

THANK YOU! I was just looking for a recipe to make for our family Mother’s Day gathering. Yay!

I hope your husband is doing alright and wishing him a quick recovery! My MIL had her gall bladder removed a few months ago, and she went on a 3 week vacation to Peru and the Galapagos a week later. So hopefully his recovery goes as well! I can’t wait to try this recipe! I’m going to make it for my girlfriends in my monthly crafty get-together. Sounds perfect for that.

Kiahna says:

Yummy!! I wish my hubby enjoyed fruit with meat, and mayo for that matter. For my next Bunco night, I am for sure going to try these!

This looks really good…my husband generally does not like stuff like tuna salad, chicken salad etc. due to the mayo. I think I’ll try this sometime, though, and see how it goes over. Also, I hope your husband’s surgery went well. I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago. Recovery was not fun but I am soooooo much happier now that it is gone. It was causing a number of issues that I didn’t even realize were related, like a really bad back ache! Anyway, wishing him a speedy recovery.

Amanda Lee says:

This looks really good. I make teriyaki chicken all the time and this is a great lunch for my leftovers. Great summer recipe for when it is too hot to cook to. BTW…awesome Cinco de Mayo recipes yesterday! Next year I am going to have a party and incorporate some of your recipes. DELISH!

Laura says:

You are amazing for doing a post on such a crazy day.We love you and hope you hubby is feeling better soon!

Maureen says:

Oh dear. I have recently become obsessed with chicken salad and this one looks awesome! I would probably use the oranges though. I don’t have a grill (I know *gasp!*) thanks to the fact that our city will only allow small propane tanks on apartment balconies and we couldn’t find one so out the grill had to go. But I promise I will find a way to get some grilled teriyaki chicken. Seriously I’m drooling here.

Maureen says:

On and P.S. I hope your husband is ok!

Karen says:

I had my gallbladder taken out New Years Eve! Please give your husband my best wishes!

Sindy Faddis says:

My husband had his gallbladder out too. As I recall it became work for me. I think it is cute that you are so optimistic about the desert being posted…lol

Sindy–Ha! You’re so right about it being work for us! Don’t think I wasn’t a bit relieved when they said he’d be in the hospital for 4-5 days; someone else can deal with his man pain… :)

Ann says:

Is there something else I could use in place of mayo? Thank you!

Merilee says:

Ann, I have used non-fat plain yogurt in many things replacing mayo. It is a bit wetter but does a good job for those who are cutting calories or don’t like mayo. Good luck!

Greek yogurt doesn’t have the ‘wet’ factor and is soooo thick and creamy and very healthy when you get the nonfat kind. I use it to substitute mayo as well and I like it better than regular ‘American’ plain yogurt. Try it if you haven’t before!

gary's girl says:

YUM. This sounds totally fab! :) And I can’t wait to see what you’ve got cookin’ for Mother’s Day! ;)) Sorry about your hubby needing his gallstones/gallbladder taken out. :( That sounds painful! Hopefully his recovery will be short! With all your good cookin’ I’m sure he’ll be feeling better in no time! ;)

I was searching for a banana-caramel ice cream recipe and it led me to your website. I am always on the lookout for great recipe blog sites, and I love yours! There are lots of great recipes here that I can’t wait to try, starting with the ice cream. Thanks for the inspiration! – Anjanette

Emily Siple says:

That looks so yummy . . . I wish I had one right now. I am so hungry!

Amy Drorbaugh says:

I hope everything is ok with your husband! Worried about you guys since you didn’t come back and post again. Funny how I feel like I know you ladies. LOL!

Brooke says:

My husband who says he doesn’t like Teriyaki sauce, loved these and my kids (4 and 7) ate them right up too. Loved this recipe and also tried the strawberry limeade! Wonderful!!

jenn says:

I made this, it was soooo good!! It was a nice change from classic chicken salad, thanks!

Kim says:

I made this on Saturday! It was so yummy! My picky eater even ate it…quickly too! Indidnt have time to marinate, I just used a rotisserie chicken and it was so good! Apparently I need lessons on how to cut up a mango though!

Flossie says:

Could you substitute the Mayo for Olive Oil or something like that? My husband has a phobia of Mayo and refuses to eat it.

Silly husband! Unfortunately no, I don’t think it would taste great with olive oil.

Marcia says:

Do you know roughly how many this serves? Thanks and looks great

Marcia says:

Thank you so much :).

I really like the sound of a chicken teriyaki salad!

Kayla Hunter says:

Do you have a good “plain” chicken salad recipe?

Jessica says:

I made these last night to eat at the park. They were fantastic! My husband even said, “Perfect picnic food!”

Ang says:

Delicious and delightful! Loved them with the mango and homemade teriyaki sauce. And they were tasty even without time to refrigerate thoroughly – I popped it in the freezer while chopping the fruit and stirred frequently so it would cool evenly. Thanks for the treat!

Erin W says:

My chicken is marinading now. The anticipation is killing me. That baste and glaze stuff smells divine!

Erin W. says:

It was to die for! The hubby loved it and the kids (4y and 18 mo.) wouldn’t touch it, but I wasn’t expecting them to. More for us! I can’t wait for my leftovers for lunch today.

Kristen says:

I’m looking for a chicken salad recipe to go on my pretzel rolls for a baby shower. Do you think this would taste okay served that way?

Adriann says:

Saw this in your cookbook this week and just made it last night. Huge hit!! I had people asking for the recipe; I told them they needed to buy your book :). Thanks!

Jennifer Goeringer says:

Hi…is there a button to print this? I can’t find one.

Laurel says:

Okay, I’m embarrassed I have to ask, but… what do you marinate the chicken in?! If it’s the Kikkoman sauce, how much?

Laura Richins says:

I want to make this for a teachers back to school luncheon… wonder how much chicken I would need for 50 people….

kelly t says:

Any suggestions on how to round out the meal for a RS Dinner??

Maygen Jenkins says:

I just found this recipe and it looks perfect (and delicious) for a family reunion I’m going to. Just so I can estimate how much of everything I’m going to need, about how many sandwiches (say on croissants) would this make? A rough estimate- would be great. Thank you! and I LOVE your cookbook and so does my new husband! :)