Last summer and fall, I can’t even begin to tell y’all how many requests we got for cobblers. I’m not sure if cobblers are largely a regional dessert or something, but aside from the traditional Dutch oven “cobbler” where you dump a box of cake mix, a can of fruit, and a can of Sprite into the Dutch oven and wait 30 minutes until it’s Business Time, I hadn’t eaten much cobbler. But I figure it’s full of things I like, so how could I go wrong?

Last week when we were both in Seattle with our families, we got our kids and husbands together for the very first ever Our Best Bites family barbecue. We were pretty excited that our boys became instantaneous BFFs/explorers/Jedi Knights and that our 3-year-olds spent a great deal of time talking to each other without being interrupted and corrected by their older siblings (plus, I have reason to believe that they may be betrothed).

Anyway, Sara made some amazing steaks and I brought this cobbler that I literally kind of made up as I went along at my in-laws’ house. Cream? Good. More cream? Better. Lemon zest? Why not? It was truly a kitchen experiment that went pretty darn well. It would also make an awesome Father’s Day dessert (hint hint!)

So first, preheat your oven to 350. Grease a 9×13″ pan and set aside.

For the crust, you’ll need flour, salt, baking powder, sugar,

eggs, cream, and butter. You can also add the zest of 1 lemon or orange if you want. By the way, that whole list was pretty much a list for diet disaster.

Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and citrus zest (if using). Then take your cold butter and a cheese grater…

and grate that sucker. Look how pretty!

Gently fold the butter into the flour mixture so it is light and crumbly.

Crack open two eggs…

and give them a whisk.  Add them to the flour/butter mixture and stir until just combined. Then add the cream and mix everything together until you form a wet dough.

Lightly press about 1 1/2 c. of the dough into the bottom of the pan and set it aside.

Now, take about 4 cups of berries. I used a triple berry mix and while it was good, I think next time I’ll stick to either blueberries, blackberries, or a combination of both. But this mix had raspberries in it and I’m not crazy about raspberries in baked goods (I’m a freak, I know).

Toss the berries with 1/2 c. brown sugar…

and spread the berries over the “crust.” Drop the remaining dough over the berries and set aside.

Now…I’m using the streusel topping from our blueberry muffins, so if you like that, than I’m willing to bet my cat you’ll like it here, too!

Mix together 1/2 c. sugar, 1/4 c. + 1 Tbsp. flour, and 1 tsp. cinnamon. Cut in 3 Tbsp. of butter (or hey, if you’re on a grating kick, you could measure out 3 Tbsp. of butter and then grate that, too!) until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle it over the dough-topped berries

and then pop the whole pan into the oven. Bake it for 45-55 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the dough is cooked through.

Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Chels Rief says:

I love cobbler and this looks delish!

Nicole Peck says:

Um, wow. Looks divine!!

Gail says:

I JUST made a very sub-par cobbler with a bowl of yummy marionberries. Where was this recipe four hours ago when I needed you??? I’ll have to try again–this one looks MUCH better:) Thanks!

Ashley says:

Holy moly, this looks fabulous! Can’t wait to try it!

Patti says:

I’m just wondering how much you like your cat…? :)

Erin says:

What a great cobbler.

Mmm, that looks so good! I usually like making crisps but I really want to try a cobbler like this. I love that you grate the butter :D

Domestic Diva North says:

I have never had a cobbler with a BOTTOM crust before! Interesting idea!

Okay so yeah, this is kind of a weird OCD thing I have where I really don’t like the idea of baked fruit with nothing on the bottom. You can totally make it like a regular cobbler, but I do think it helps the crust soak in some of the yummy berry juices.

Katrina says:

How is it that I have never thought to grate butter?? Brilliant! :)

Kelsey says:

Grating butter… GENIUS IDEA! This cobber looks amazing… I’m not a lover of berry cobblers, but I’m sure I could any flavor I wanted with this recipe. thanks for sharing!

spbowers says:

I love berry crisps/cobblers. Did you thing about adding a little almond flavoring? I love that!

Becca says:

This was soooo good! I kept sneaking spoonfuls of the gooey berries and crust while everyone was still outside ;)

Megan says:

I am wondering whether you used fresh or frozen berries. If you used frozen berries, did you thaw them first and pat them dry?

zarkazmo says:

Grating the butter is sheer genius! GENIUS I TELL YOU!!! I’ve never seen it done before and it never occurred to me. Awesome.

Freakin’ YUM! My birthday coming up…and I sent specific instructions to my daughter at BYU-I to get an signed copy of the cookbook. Did she show up? I hope you wrote something personal. Hehehee!

Laurel says:

Fantastic!! I need a good recipe to use to get rid of the mountain supply of rhubarb growing out of control in the garden. Thanks!

Tammy Knudsen says:

I’m not a huge baked fruit kinda gal – but I love me some yummy cobbler…I just eat around the fruit :)

I am so going to make this for our next BBQ night!

Amy says:

This might be a dumb question, but do I need to whip the cream?

jacky says:

i have so much love for you girls. I will be making this for my BBQ on Sunday. Looks delicious.

Kimberley says:

Mmmm…nom, nom, nom…thanks for putting up a cobbler recipe that 1) does not use store bought cake or biscuit mix, 2) doesn’t incorporate oats in the topping, and 3) uses BERRIES!!! Seriously, this is great because it’s easy to make and has all my favorite ingredients. Cream is so good. My family thinks I’m a freak because I only put heavy whipping cream in my coffee, and I even pour cream over my cereal before filling up the bowl the rest of the way with milk. In fact, I love my cat so much, he gets to share in the wealth–he gets a saucer of cream every morning (after I put it in my coffee), and I also let him lick out my cereal bowl when I’m done. Cream is a heavenly wonder food.

Holly says:

I forgot the eggs!! Friends will be here in an hour to eat it!!! Will it be ok? HELP!!

Rivki Locker says:

Love how you used a triple berry mix. This looks perfect for summer.

Lyn says:

I love cobbler….southern thing? Not sure. My mother in law had the best standby recipe that I use all the time. 1/2c flour, 1/2c milk, 1/2c sugar 1tsp baking powder, large can of good fruit is out of season or cut up fresh fruit in season. Mix and pour over 1/2 stick of metled butter in 9X9 pan. Scatter fruit ON TOP of mixture. So not stir. Bake 350F till brown. YUMMY. Fruit goes to bottom and a yummy crust appears on top!

I can’t wait to try yours!

Lori says:

That’s the style of cobbler I make. I know that I’ve seen it mostly from southern cooks and restaurants. I was actually most surprised with the egg. I’ve never heard of egg in cobbler.

Terra says:

I don’t know if you noticed, but on the recipe card on the bottom, the directions don’t tell to add the eggs. I’m making this right now and I’m glad I looked at the pictures first. I’m so excited to eat the finished product!!!

Foodiewife says:

Usually, I’m more of a “crips” kinda gal. I like that you combined the cobbler with the crisp topping. It just so happens that I have fresh blueberries and peaches, so I see a quick dessert for tonight. What a great recipe you created!

Melissa says:

Holy cow, this looks so beautiful and delish!!! When I make it, you can be sure I will post a pic on your FB page :)

Paula says:

Lurker turned commenter to thank you for inventing GRATED BUTTER! I make biscuits a lot and hate cutting it into tiny cubes–my wire pastry cutter thingy broke. Muah! And thanks!

Tami says:

Looks delicious. I live just down the road from Rader Farms berries! I can’t wait for the berries to ripen.

Roxie says:

Making this now! So to clarify, the Eggs DO go in the crust mixture? And so does the 1 1/2 cup sugar. I didn’t notice the sugar listed in the photo walk threw of the crust, and the eggs wern’t in the printable that i copyed off last night! I’m pretty sure any way you combine these ingrediance it will be silly good, but I want mine to look like yours! :)

jennifer says:

Just had to say what a wonderful discovery for me…your website. I bought your book and love it. I have told everyone in my family about it. I have told my friends about it. AND I saw you in my better homes and garden magazine that came today.
    Congrats!
    Continue cooking

Barbie says:

A strawberry variation is in my oven right now. Hoping for a lovely surprise Father’s Day dessert for my wonderful husband. I’m so grateful for a well-stocked pantry that made it possible for me to make this after stumbling across the recipe at 6:30 this morning.

Erica says:

Southern girl here, a true cobbler is ooey and gooey. You make a wet batter, pour it over melted butter that is in your pan. Then top it with berries or fruits of your choice that are tossed in cinnamon and sugar. Your wet batter cooks up and over your fruits, encasing them in a crispy edged buttery yumminess. A cobbler by no means is dry.. A cobbler has a sauce or syrup like substance that you would drizzle over vanilla ice cream.

If your interested in a true southern cobbler recipe, email me. BTW your cake looks tasty. :)

Made this for Father’s Day today, and while it was delicious I felt like it needed more fruit and less crust. Next time I make it I will probably decrease the recipe for the crust a bit. Now, that’s not to say I didn’t gobble it up ;). It was still pretty darn tasty!

alice says:

I usually don’t like cobbler- the cake part always seems soggy. This looks like it avoids the soggy cake issue, so I’ll have to try it. :)

Looks yummy! And speaking of people asking you for recipes…do either of you have a good one for red-sauce enchiladas? :)

Trish says:

Made this today for Father’s Day festivities – so so good! Rave reviews all around. Thanks for a keeper! My SIL said “next time I host an evening – YOU’RE making this!

Carie says:

I made this tonight for Father’s Day and everyone LOVED it. I used fresh blueberries and served it with vanilla bean ice cream. Yummy!

Kristin in Mobile says:

From the south here :)

I use my Grandmother’s easiest cobbler (whatever fruit you want) recipe –

Melt a stick of butter in your pan in the oven, then put fruit in pan, then mix:

1 cup SELF RISING flour
    1 cup milk
    1 cup sugar

together & pour over the fruit/butter & bake until golden brown……

So fast, so easy – and yes, moist & a little saucy underneath.

Our personal fave?? Peach – served hot with vanilla ice cream!!

Mine is in the oven right now. I omitted the topping but sprinkled cinnamon and white sugar on top. Hope it works!!

My cobbler is still very gooey and looks uncooked underneath the top crust after 1hr 15 min. I did use half ww flour and more berries. Could the berry juices be interfering with the dough’s ability to rise? I’m so disappointed!

Oh, what a bummer! I can’t say for sure, but my guess is probably the whole wheat flour. Did you use regular whole wheat flour or ww pastry flour? Because regular whole wheat was probably too dense and that, combined with the additional berries, is my guess as to why it’s not done. If it’s not rising, it could be that your baking powder is a little old.

• Michele says:

I’ve been having the same problem, too. I have made this recipe so many times because I love it so much. Each time I make it, it rises just fine, and is completely level, but after it’s out of the oven it starts to sink in the center and is really gooey on the inside (it actually tastes super heavenly, and I love the gooeyness the most, but feel silly serving it to guests when it looks undercooked). I just made another, and tried putting foil around the edges of the pan so that the edges didn’t brown too fast, but it still sunk.

Nina says:

Wow does this cobbler look fantastic! I have the same mixed berries from Costco in the freezer. Can’t wait to try this one…perfect summer dessert!

Rachel says:

I made this for Father’s Day dessert and it was AMAZING! I used a lot of lemon zest and it gave the cobbler such a fresh, tart taste. I could eat this once a week. And I might :)

Silly me! Should have THAWED the frozen berries first! If you start out with the pan covered and add 30 minutes, it still works!

Kim Parker says:

Well, crap…I didn’t pay attention to the size of pan you used so I loaded it all into a smaller square pan and it wouldn’t cook all the way through…But the top was delish!!! Next time, I’ll do better, I promise!

Jamie says:

I’m not much of a baked fruits kind of girl but this looked so good I gave it a try and it was DE-LI-CIOUS!!!

Melanie says:

Love it!! It was a bit hit this weekend..!

Sue says:

Do you think you could freeze this and bake at a later date??

KENSIE says:

This might be a silly question but what do they mean by heavy cream??

Heavy cream is labeled just that … heavy cream in the milk/creamer area of your grocery. You could probably get away with using half/half if need be.

I am going to make this recipe this weekend. I will be cooking for 3 hungry men and an even more hungry teenage boy while they build a playhouse for my daughter. I hope this makes them happy. :)

Tara says:

Just made this tonight with all blueberries and it was TO.DIE.FOR. We are chocolate fanatics but this dessert is now on our top 5 list! My husband thought he was in heaven and my youngest (and pickiest eater) gobbled it up. You really have to eat every bite with fresh sweetened whipped cream. Thanks for a fabulous recipe.

Janet A says:

I am in charge of feeding 45 people at a youth conference. We will be camping in the mountains. Do you have any good dutch oven recipes?

Joyce says:

Now that it is time to pick wild blackberries, I’m going to try this in the jars I use to make the pie in the jar. I’ll let you know how it turns out and then I can call it cobbler in the jar.

Ellen says:

Made this today with fresh picked blackberries. YUMMY! I am a Southern girl and it definitely qualifies as cobbler (even with a bottom crust). I love the bottom curst idea, by the way. :)

Molly says:

Love, love , LOVE this recipe – and I’m not a cobbler fan, usually. I used this in a larger 9×13 (I don’t know, 10×14?) and it was plenty of dough. I used canned peaches, drained and a can of berry pie mix – well because that’s what I had on hand and I need a dessert for a social. It was SO delicious and the first thing gone!! Thanks!

Sarah Winfrey says:

I just made this with peaches, didn’t change anything else and it was probably the best peach cobbler I’ve ever had!

I made this using freshly-picked strawberries. I left off the streusel (not really a fan). I liked the results, though I felt like it wasn’t a real cobbler since the cake-y part was crispy instead of a bit soggy, the way cobbler usually is. My favorite cobbler recipe involves dumping boiling water with bits of butter in it over the top before putting the whole thing in the oven. Yum!

Mindy says:

Is this crust more like a pie crust or cake/biscuit type?

Ang says:

Mindy, it’s more like heaven. :) It’s a really rich, sweet, lovely biscuit-type crust, but calling it a biscuit doesn’t do it justice.

wendy says:

so i’m 40 wks prego, chasing around 20 month old twins… and my aunt just made this for us and brought over. O.M.G. so good! i’ve always thought i make a pretty good cobbler, but this is crazy good!

Claire says:

Has anyone tried peaches? I have fresh peaches that are destined for a cobbler…would this recipe work?

Katie mills says:

Would I be able to use half and half instead of heavy cream? I have some I need to use! Thanks!

Sarah says:

So I made this cobbler over the weekend (and am eating some leftovers as we speak) for family I had in town. The flavors turned out wonderful, everyone loved it, and I will definitely make it again. However, the crust was a bit gooey after baking it for the maximum amount of time (and the top had already turned golden). Is it important to thaw the berries before tossing them with the brown sugar and putting them in the cobbler? I was also a bit over zealous and put more than 4 cups of berries in because it didn’t look like quite enough. That extra bit (ok alot) of frozen berries may have kept the batter from getting hot enough to bake, too. Any thoughts? Thanks!

AnneM says:

Is that really supposed to be 2.5 TABLESPOONS of baking powder?

Courtney says:

This recipe looks divine!! I plan on making this tomorrow but prefer to do it in a crockpot. I believe and tell me if I am wrong to cook it at 3-4 hours on high?

Sarah says:

This is in the oven baking right now for Easter. I used peaches and raspberries. The smell alone is incredible, so I know it will taste amazing! First time using one of your recipes… definitely will not be my last. Enjoy the holiday with your family

Natalie says:

Made this today for Mother’s Day. It was a complete hit! I love that it has a bottom crust to soak up all of the berry juices. The streusel topping makes this to die for!

janita says:

my 11year old daughter picked this recipe for some fresh peaches from the farmers market last week and it was absolutely FABULOUS!!!! and we arent even peach fans. tomorrow we are remaking with apples for dads day, cuz the dh doesnt like berries. crust and crumb topping together are so perfect!

Ashley P says:

This was delicious with fresh peaches but next time I make it I will leave off the streusel topping and cut the cobbler topping in half. . . .I was looking for more fruit in every bite. It was still all gone after 2 days so I know I will be making it again soon. I love how easy it is to adapt your recipes to make them work for me!

Hilary Rodgers says:

Can I use whole milk instead of cream in the dough? Just found this recipe and hate to make a run to the store.

Carol Savage says:

Is it really 2 1/2 Tablespoons of baking powder? That seemed way too much so I used teaspons instead. It’s in the oven now, will see.

Just made this yesterday with 2 cups marionberries and 2 cups boysenberries… that I picked the day before. And brought it to a dinner and it was a huge hit! I wasn’t sure how it would turn out with those berries, but it was delicious! Thanks for all the amazing recipes!!

Chris says:

Made this tonight with frozen blackberries and raspberries. I’m an awful baker, and this turned out fantastic. Loved it! Thanks for the recipe :)

Melissa says:

Another big hit at my house from ourbestbites. My kid’s first cobbler & they absolutely loved it warm with vanilla ice cream (after slightly cooling off for 10 minutes).

Mary says:

I have made this recipe several times. My family loves it. I would consider it more of a coffee cake than a true southern cobbler. I am making this again this year for Mothers’ Day brunch. I use all blackberries and serve it warm. The family loves it.

[…] //Recipe adapted from here […]