Happy week before the 4th of July! Sara and I were talking about how we’ve kind of being holiday slackers when it comes to the blog lately, so prepare yourselves for lots of holiday- and potluck-friendly red, white, and blue recipes this week!

So our friend Nathaly emailed me a few weeks ago (and, um, I never responded because I kind of suck at Facebook messaging. Lesson #1 about being friends with me on Facebook: please don’t get your feelings hurt if I never message you back because for some reason, I seem to be incapable of responding to Facebook messages…) and suggested I come up with a berry vinaigrette recipe. Since I had just eaten one of those new Berry Chicken Salads at Wendy’s (delicious, by the way, and no, Wendy’s has never sponsored Our Best Bites, unless by “sponsor” you mean they give me food after I give them money…), I took her up on it. Without her knowing, of course, because…what? I suck at responding to Facebook messages.

So for this, you’ll need fresh berries–I used strawberries, but I’d bet my children raspberries or blackberries would also be delicious. You’ll also need white wine vinegar, garlic, some onion, salt, pepper, canola oil, poppy seeds, and honey. Or sugar, if you’re in a pinch. But really, honey because there’s something amazing about honey and fresh berries together.

Berry Vinaigrette Ingredients

In a the jar of your blender combine all the ingredients except the oil and the poppy seeds.

Berry Vinaigrette in blender

Blend until combined and then, with the blender running, add the oil in a steady stream. Then add the poppy seeds

Adding poppy seeds

and whisk whisk them into the dressing until combined. If you can, refrigerate this dressing for at least an hour before serving it.Final Berry VinaigretteWe’ve had a lot of questions about how long this will keep in the fridge. It’s hard to say because the thing that will make it go bad is the berries, so here’s my advice–save one berry from the batch you use to make the dressing. Keep it in an airtight container or a Ziploc bag. When the berry gets gross, it’s probably about time to toss the dressing. However, no matter what, I wouldn’t keep it around for longer than a week.

Crystal says:

Thank you so much for this! I’m drooling to try it.

meredith says:

I love that you included the number of cracks on the freshly ground pepper!! I can never figure out how many turns are in 1/4 tsp!! Just thinking that Yesterday as I was mixing up the aMAZingly flavor packed BBQ bacon sliders (fabulous!!). Thanks for another dressing recipe, love them!!!

Peggy says:

OH my goodness this sounds wonderful! How long do you think it will keep refrigerated? Because I definitely want to make this but we will be gone a week… I am thinking only a day or so due to the fresh strawberries. We are going to my in-laws next week and this is something I would love to make while there. Do you think an immersion blender (ours have a several cup beaker to mix in) would work? They don’t have a blender so I could just pack my immersion blender and beaker….

Thanks for another great recipe!

Oh, thanks, Peggy! Yeah, I probably wouldn’t keep it for more than a couple of days because of the berries. And yes, totally use your immersion blender–that’s what I used for this recipe! :)

Chip says:

This looks amazing! Now what salad should I put this on?

Nathaly says:

Yay! I can’t wait to try this. No worries on the facebook message thing. I forget half the time, too. Chip – I’m sure these girls will have a way better idea, but I’m going to try it on a spinach salad with fresh strawberries, walnuts or almonds, grilled chicken, and maybe some red onion.

Aubri says:

This looks so fresh, summery and AMAZING! I’m so excited to try it! Nathaly hit the nail on the head…I would totally try it with some kind of spinach salad with grilled chicken and berries. Mmmmm…I want this for lunch today!

Melody says:

Looks awesome! Speaking of salads and dressings, here’s kind of a random question for you girls (or anyone, for that matter): Is light mayo any good for making salad dressings? I learned the hard way never to go with a generic mayo, but wasn’t sure about Best Foods/Hellman’s or Kraft light.

p.s. I almost posted this question of Facebook, but now I’m glad I didn’t after reading Kate’s post. ;)

Julie says:

I’ve been craving something like this for weeks! Can’t wait to try it!!! THANKS!

Patti says:

Wow, you’ve really upped the ante- now you are betting your children instead of your cat. Hmm. Maybe it’s the bad dreams your daughter has been having lately :)
    Looks like a winner of a recipe, Kate! I’ll be trying it very soon!

Sara says:

Do you think blueberries would be okay in this dressing?

Melissa L. says:

This looks amazing, but… are those GREEN roses in the background???

Konnie says:

Thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to try it

Regan Martin says:

Wow! This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it! Thanks!

dbelle says:

I feel like Balsamic vinegar (or part BV) would be amazing in this recipe, what do you think? Unfortunately for me Berry season is over in this part of the world :-/ Looks amazing though

Kerrie says:

Have you tried to can this? It would be great to make a big batch and have it on hand year round.

janell says:

I could drink this straight!!!

Chels Rief says:

I adore anything with Poppy Seeds and I’ve really been wanting to make my own dressing, so this looks like a great place to start :)

Anna Jenkins says:

OMGosh! I love those Berry Almond salads at Wendy’s. Their other ones are also awesome. Thanks for the recipe!

EHC says:

How does one go about finding poppy seeds? I’m not sure if I’ve seen them at the grocery store before…

Natalie B says:

Poppy seeds are in the spice section, usually in a small container. My grocery stores (sourthern CA) have all the spices and such in alphabetical order. I think McCormick packages them. Good luck!!

gugs says:

My local nut store and coffee store both sell bulk amounts of poppy seeds

Bryanne Mayhew says:

I just made this and tasted it before sticking it in the fridge to chill. It is delicious and I can’t wait to have it with dinner tonight!!!

Thank you for sharing!
    My hubby has been asking me to find this dressing, so now I will just make it! :)

Rivki Locker says:

This looks simple and delicious, but most importantly BEAUTIFUL. Love that warm pink color.

Melanie says:

Made it tonight…love the berry salad. Used 1/2 blueberries and 1/2 strawberries…Yummy!!!!

Lisette says:

Hello! I was just wondering if you ever annouce the winner of the Cost Plus gift card? I checked but I did not see anything. THanks!!

Misty says:

I can’t wait to try this with freeze dried berries! Yum.

Jacqueline says:

I just bought poppy seeds in bulk from Penzey’s to make the other poppyseed vinaigrette I saw on your blog – but I’m even more excited about making this one!

Barbara says:

I am in love with the berry poppy seed vinaigrette!

charity says:

This looks fabulous. And I laughed right out loud when you said “I’d bet my children…” You are so funny.

This dressing looks amazing. I can’t wait to try it.

garysgirl says:

This looks awesome!!! I soooo want to make this!

Kelly Clark says:

Is it possible that we are the same people? I love the berry and nut salad at Wendys…but more than that you and I seriously watch all the same shows! I love love love Melanie and I can’t wait for the new season of Teen MOM!! Thanks for everything you guys do, it brings such happiness to my life! Oh and just a side story…I have a 5 year old who said in the car the other day to me and his dad, “I have a great idea…dad you take me 4-wheeling everyday and mom can stay home and work on the computer and look at Our Best Bites!” I think it’s a fabulous idea!

Kelly. Yes, it is totally possible that we are the same person. KELLY. KATE. My son’s name is CLARK. And yes, I totally think your husband should take your 5-year-old 4-wheeling every day and you can stay home and look at the blog. And I can say that because of the possibility that we are the same person. :)

Kacey says:

Just wanted to add I made this dressing last night and it was fantastic! I halved it and used red wine vinegar (I really thought I had white on hand when I started…) and it turned out perfectly. Also, I used goat cheese instead of feta on my salad and… wow.

Thank you!

Rachel says:

how long do you think this dressing would keep in the fridge?

Karin says:

You are a genius. This tastes amazing and I am forcing myself to wait the hour. Thank you!

Mrs. L says:

I made this tonight and served it over some chicken and salad greens. Loved it!

Kristen Chamberlain says:

I love this! Thank you! I just want to know where you get the dressing bottle!

Aubri says:

I took a salad to our 4th of July celebration…spinach and greens w/ strawberries, blueberries and raspberries, then roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and romano cheese. Topped it with this wonderful dressing. Everyone loved it! It was so fresh and pretty! I used half strawberries and half raspberries in the dressing. Mmmmm. I’m just excited to have leftover dressing to use for lunch or dinner tomorrow! Thanks for another great recipe!

Sue says:

Seriously so DELISH! I just had mine with raspberries and had to restrain myself from drinking the dressing.

Becca says:

Just made a batch for dinner tonight. If it weren’t for the kick of the vinegar, I’d be tempted to drink it!

Jenny says:

Just thought I would report back that I used half blueberries/ half strawberries in the dressing and substituted *gasp* normal vinegar for the white wine vinegar and I thought the dressing was excellent. I have never had Wendy’s salad so I have nothing to compare it to but it was good with normal white vinegar. Probably different than intended but good. Also, I didn’t grate my onion or mince my garlic I rough chopped them and threw them in the blender because I am lazy and I don’t think it caused any trouble. On the subject of white wine vinegar I could not find it at my grocery store. I saw red wine vinegar, malt vinegar, balsamic but not white wine. Does it go by any other name?

Becky Helvig says:

Ummm… WOW! This recipe is so delish! Just made it and will never go back to my previous favorite store-bought strawberry vinaigrette. It keeps calling to me from the fridge and it’s taking a lot of self-control for me to save it for dinner and refrain from eating it by the spoonful. Thanks for the recipe!

Lindsy says:

I have been looking at your blog since a friend directed me here for Halloween party ideas last year. I have made lots of different recipes and only one has not turned out (surely my fault). I love your stuff! I recommend your site all the time. Thank you for taking the time out of your precious schedules to put a little sparkle in my day. :) I LOVED this dressing. I only had balsamic so I used that, but it turned out great. I think I will be making it again and again! I see lots of yummy summer salads in my future!

Bonnie Brien says:

We made this with the salad and thought both were fabulous! Thanks.

Molly says:

Ok – I had this at Bunco and it was delicious. I came home and made it and not so. It was still good – but it tasted like pure honey. (AND – I only used 1/4c. honey and then 1/4c. sugar.) So, my questions is – is it really 1/2 cup honey? Also, it was really thick – would I add a little more oil to make it more runny?

Cindy says:

just made this and the entire family LOVED it! Thanks!

JJBBone says:

I love your website the MOST!

Bonnie says:

How many servings would you say it made?

Carol says:

I had this dressing at Bunco night tonight made by our host on a spinach salad with raspberries, walnuts, feta cheese and I think there may have been onions in it also. It was absolutely delicious…I went back for seconds and had to have the recipe!! You’ll love it!!

Dee says:

This stuff is sooooooooooo good. Thanks for the recipe!

[...] blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries mixed together with a poppyseed dressing. I used a strawberry poppyseed dressing from Our Best Bites that turned out fairly well and paired nicely with the sweetness of the [...]

Kay says:

So, so delicious! I used balsamic vinegar, used half canola and half sesame oil and (because i didn’t have poppy seeds) threw in 1 1/2 table spoons of sesame seeds. YUMMY!