Surprise!! Before you get all excited that we’re halfway through the week and that So You Think You Can Dance is on tonight (go, Melanie!), I’m sorry to tell you that it is Tuesday and that we’re just so excited to be home and back in our kitchens that we have a couple of extra recipes this week.

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, a few weeks ago, I had Wendy’s Berry Chicken Salad for the first time and I loved it. I also realized that it was hardly rocket science and that putting my own version together couldn’t be too tricky, right? So much to my husband’s dismay that I wasn’t re-creating the Baconator (also known as the Widow Maker), I tossed together some fresh greens, strawberries, blueberries, toasted almonds, feta cheese, and this Berry Vinaigrette.

feta, strawberry vinaigrette, almonds, and grilled chicken

It ended up being the perfect summer dinner after a long day of working in the yard. He didn’t complain too much, although I’m pretty sure he quietly poured himself a bowl of cereal a few hours later.

First, I marinated some chicken breasts in some light Italian dressing and then grilled them up on the back patio. While they were cooking, I tossed some sliced almonds into a non-stick pan and toasted them over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they were light brown and fragrant.  I rinsed the strawberries and blueberries and sliced the strawberries.

strawberries and blueberries

Then I tossed together some Romaine and baby spinach…chopped romaine

and added a handful of blueberries, some crumbled Feta cheese, and the toasted almonds.

blueberries and almonds

If you’ve had the Wendy’s salad, you might be thinking, “Stupid Kate, that’s Parmesan, not feta in the Wendy’s salad.” Surprisingly, I do know my cheeses, I just prefer Feta in this salad. But freshly shaved Parmesan is also super delicious here, so use whatever you prefer.

Anyway. I topped the blueberries with the strawberries and then after the chicken was done, I let it stand for a few minutes and then I sliced it up and added it to the salad.

Final berry salad

I served the dressing on the side, but if you’re making this all in a big bowl for a crowd and are serving it immediately, I’d recommend dressing the entire salad just to make things easier.

Looks great- LOVE the colors!

Christin says:

Oooooh, this looks delicious! I’m pretty sure you could change up the combination of cheeses, nuts or berries in this and it would still be gorgeous. Now all I need is some summer weather to enjoy this in and I’m set!

Lisa says:

Delicious! This is what we’re having for dinner tonight. My hubby will think it’s fancy since there is feta cheese and almonds. It will totally appeal to his food snobbery!

Tammy says:

Wow, that looks fabulous! I recently had that salad at Wendy’s and really enjoyed it. I’d love to be able to make it at home. :) And I just got home from picking strawberries!

Cara says:

love that salad…one of my favorites.

Liz says:

Oh yum! I’m always struggling for quick summer meals and this looks perfect!!

Michele N says:

It looks wonderful! I’m not sure I could convince my hubby though. He usually thinks I’m putting too much on salads when I add extra veggies or cheese. I haven’t tried the Wendy’s salad, but am thinking I might have too soon.

Coie Watson says:

Yum! This looks very similar to a salad I just tried and plan on making tonight. Same idea, but with pecans, no cheese and some pineapple and mandarins thrown in.

Julianne Blanch says:

Perfect for the 4th of July! Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for the ideas and recipes.

Ashley says:

Hee! I made something very similar last night, after trying the Wendy’s salad last week. I added cucumber and pecans toasted with some brown sugar to mine, and drizzled on a blackberry viniagrette I made up. This is a great summer salad, especially when the temperatures are running in the 100′s, like it is where I live! :-)

Thanks for all the great recipes.

Sally says:

Strawberry and feta salad is probably my all time favorite! We throw a little diced red onion in ours as well and the flavor combination is surprisingly really good.

garysgirl says:

YUM!!! Thanks for a great idea, Kate! :)

Ashlee says:

How beautiful everything looks mixed together! Yummy! Can’t wait to make that dressing it sounds delish! Thanks for the summer ideas I am always in need!

I love berry salads. Unfortunately my husband does not so I don’t get to make them that often.

I heart the cupcake activist! We made this for dinner last night. I could tell my husband was not excited about this concoction, but he was trying to be polite and not say anything about his skepticism. He ate it anyway and LOVED it! He said several times during the meal how much he liked it and said at the end…”This could be a restaurant meal.” It might have been the best compliment he’s ever given me. He really liked it.
      Thanks for all your great recipes…They’re all so yummy. You’ve made cooking fun for me. Can’t wait to try the Fruit Pizza. might make it New York Style with a thin crust.

charity says:

Oh looks so yummy. I’m always trying to find new salad ideas– we have been getting two heads of lettuce every week in our produce box lately. That’s a lot since my toddlers tend to be suspicious of salads. I bet they’d like this though. Who doesn’t like berries, right?

Nicole says:

Love it! I’m pretty sure my husband has a bowl of cereal or cookies and milk most nights no matter what I’ve made for dinner–burnt or perfect!

Sarah says:

I don’t really like Melanie. Probably because she’s the obvious Judge Favorite. I was pulling for Nick, the tap dancer, but now that he’s gone, I will have to find a new favorite, I guess.

Patti says:

You totally got me- I saw your post and immediately thought- “Oh good, it’s Wednesday!” Then it sunk in. Nope, it’s just Tuesday. But yay for the extra post! Thanks :) It’s time to make a new menu and this salad is on the top of the list. I can hardly wait to try it.

Larissa says:

I love that salad too. In fact, we are moving cross country (I was the one from the book signing leaving Ohio and going to Idaho) and I have already decided that is what I am eating for every meal. Hopefully keeping my traveler’s fanny to a minimum.

Thanks for sharing.

Nicole Peck says:

Cool! I love their new salads but haven’t tried this one yet. My fave is the Apple Pecan Chicken. Yummolicious!! Now if they’d only bring back the Mediterranean one from years ago, I’d be happy. LOL

Ellie says:

This sounds delicious! We are always looking for a good new dinner salad. I’m thinking it would be even easier if I used half a rotisserie chicken. And I’m going to try it with queso fresco instead of feta because that’s what I have in my fridge and I think it will be nice with the berries. Thanks for the bonus post!

Rivki Locker says:

I love dinner salads! Especially in summer. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah says:

That is exactly what I did after eating that salad from Wendy’s! I thought it tasted great, but there just wasn’t enough for the price — so I made my own. I am SO excited to try your dressing, though, I just used some raspberry vinaigrette I had on hand, which was okay. But homemade dressing is definitely superior!

Marcy says:

OMG! Made this tonight and it was soooo good! Actually, it was extremely good! I left the blueberries and feta out cuz I forgot to buy some today and I used splenda instead of honey in the dressing. I can’t wait to make this for my dinner guests next week!

meredith says:

Kate … You’ve outdone yourself on this one!! I’ve been playing around with similar combinations, but you’ve nailed it here. Pure Genius. Had to have it for dinner tonight … and I know I’ve said this before, but this really is my new favorite salad. The dressing sends it over the top!! Thank You Thank You … I’m sure I’ll be eating it everyday. Loving every bite :-)

Julie says:

Amazing salad! It was so good!! My husband didn’t think he would like the berry dressing but he loved it to.

Brooke says:

The salad looks delicious! Man, fresh fruit sounds so good right now. Oh, and Melanie is my favorite on SYTYCD too! They are all incredible dancers, but she is most definitely my favorite!

Vicki says:

Actually the cheese that Wendy’s uses on their Berry Chicken Salad is Asiago,
    not parmesan….

Heather M says:

So delicious!! Thank you for sharing!!

Elise Franklin says:

I made this more my Mother in Law and I and we both loved it. The dressing is SO good. This is a perfect Summer meal!

Jessica says:

This is my all time favorite salad! Me and hubby made it like 4 or 5 times within the first week of me finding this recipe. So fresh and delicious!

Christina says:

This is a great salad for Wendys. I’ll have to try this recipe!

Debbie says:

This dressing looks so yummy! I’m excited to try it. I live in Utah and I love the balsamic vinaigrette at Porcupine Grill. Do you have recipe for a balsamic vinaigrette?

[...] Pasta Salad from Creations by Kara Cilantro Lime Chicken Chop Salad from Your Homebased Mom Grilled Chicken and Berry Salad from Our Best Bites Lemon Tarragon Pasta Salad with Chicken from the Crafting Chicks Southwest [...]