So is anyone else finding themselves in the throes of summer craziness? Between May 30 and June 18, I will be home for exactly 3 days. And not even full days. Parts of days. Most of which involve lots of laundry and re-packing. My family and I are heading to Seattle this morning for a family vacation (which wouldn’t be complete without a few book signings!)

So anyway. I’m totally in the thick of quick and easy meals right now, especially those that feed a crowd, because that seems to be where I am right now with my summer. I’ve been hearing about this recipe for a long time (hi, Bethany! :) ) and I finally tried it a few weeks ago. And it totally didn’t disappoint. It was easy, flavorful, and I even got a few very early-morning phone calls requesting the recipe after I took it to a meeting last week.

You’ll need a 3-lb. beef roast, a 16-oz. jar of pepperoncinis, and 4-5 cloves of garlic. Oh, and some kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

A note on the peppers:  These are not hot spicy peppers, they have a very mild bite to them, but mostly they are just small, and pickled, and tangy.  You can usually find them in the condiment aisle at the grocery store, near the roasted red bell peppers, pickled vegetables, and pickles.  They are awesome sprinkled on salads and sandwiches!  The particular jar in this picture doesn’t have the word Pepperoncini on it, but usually it does!  So just look for that in the store and you’ll know you’ve got the right thing.

Since there seems to be a lot of discussion about peperoncini vs other peppers, we wanted to add this picture.  Notice that they are bright yellowish, sliced (although you can find them whole as well) and they clearly say “Peperoncini.”  But even if they aren’t labeled as Peperoncini, you can grab a bottle that looks like this and it should be the right thing.  Hopefully that is clear enough for everyone :)

and you can see here, they are not very spicy at all.  You can easily eat them plain.

If you want to make these into sandwiches, you’ll also need some nice buns (don’t we all??) and slices of provolone cheese.

Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil (olive…vegetable…it doesn’t really matter) in a pot or high-sided skillet over high heat.  While the oil is heating, rub some kosher salt and freshly ground pepper evenly over the pot roast and then sear it on all sides until you have a nice, brown crust on the meat.

Toss in some minced garlic…

and then pour in the whole jar of pepperoncinis (I liked the sliced ones), juice, stems, bits and pieces, everything.

If you can, turn the slow cooker to the high setting and cook it until it boils, then turn it to low and cook it for several more hours or until the beef is fork tender and shreds easily. But if you can’t do that, just cook it on low for 8-10 hours or until you can shred it.

We had it on toasted, crusty sandwich rolls with melted provolone and a little bit of mayonnaise, but it’s super versatile. You could serve it wrapped in tortillas, with either a Greek or Mexican flair or even on a salad with this dressing (this recipe, incidentally, is not what I was planning on posting in conjunction with this recipe, but, like I said, life is insanity right now and I’ll post it next week. Promises.)

Oh, and if you have left-overs, they would work great in our Baked Chipotle Beef Taquitos (thanks to a reader comment for that!)

Bethany says:

Am I the Bethany that got the shout out?! That makes me feel so sparkly inside. Of course if I’m not, then lie to me and tell me I am anyway! This recipe always makes the menfolk so happy!

YUM! I have a soft spot for sandwiches and those pics look very appetizing. :9

BiggerDiamond says:

I’ll be seeing you at one of the Seattle book signings! I’m so excited.

Angela A. says:

Try it with fresh tortillas and sides for street tacos – yummy!!

Janell says:

Haha. I’ve missed all your Utah signings, and of course we’re moving to the Seattle area in the fall after your signings there. Figures.

Anyway, I have a couple roasts in the freezer and couldn’t figure out what to do with them! PERFECT timing for this recipe. :)

Donna says:

I hate to say it but banana peppers and pepperoncini are not the same thing! This recipe looks delicious either way!

Donna, in many parts of the country they are in fact the same thing. Horticulturally speaking, they are very similar varieties of the same plant species but many food producers even use them interchangeably.

• Kari Mackay says:

I missed this original post. Looks super yummy. I gotta agree with Donna. While both are yummy, banana peppers (the pepper ring pic) and pepperoncinis have nothing more in common than both being peppers. The flavor and texture between the two is very different. My favorite pepperoncinis are the Giuliano ones sold at Costco. Yum!

• Julie P says:

haha, It sounds like you guys are talking about the difference between dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate. LOL To some people, it makes a huge difference, but to most, they can be used interchangeably. :)

• I also think they are labeled differently depending on where you live so as to market to regional preferences. We covered this in a linguistics class I took in college and while we didn’t cover pepperoncinis/banana peppers SPECIFICALLY, we talked about how sometimes things are marketed “incorrectly” because that’s what people feel comfortable buying.

Stacy says:

That looks really yummy! I have a beef roast in the freezer that needs to be made into this. :)

Lynnette says:

Yes, Banana Peppers do taste so good. they seem to have more “meat” on them than Pepperoncini do. pepperoncini are much thinner but yowzers can be hot but not bad. Banana Peppers have that pickled taste and aren’t as hot.
    Either way, I agree with #6 Donna, either way, this recipe looks SCRUMPTIOUS!!!

Steffanie says:

We love your French dips around here. I’ve made them about 4 times already!
    As I read the comments, several people have asked what kind of roast you
    use and you suggested a good quality chuck roast. Does that mean you want
    a pot roast rather than an oven roast? Can’t wait to try this with the pepperoncinis
    or banana peppers!

Yes Stefanie, a chuck roast is slow roasted pot-roast style roast, not the type of roast you slice. Is that what you mean?

Lauren says:

Come to North or South Carolina! I would love to have my book signed!

Julie says:

We make this all the time. Yum! My husband is a hunter and we make it with venison. Turns out great.

Kirsti says:

so bummed I will be out of town for your book signings in seattle!!!!

Becca says:

Ladies I love your blog! Just wanted to note that the peppers you used appear to actually sweet/mild banana peppers. Pepperoncinis are usually spicier and sold pickled whole. They are an olive sort of color, not bright yellow. :) Either way, I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Becca, they really are peperoncinis! I just added another picture of different jar to clarify for people. I think also the appearance can vary depending on the brand and also the region. So to be safe, I just always buy a bottle that actually has the word peperoncini on it, lol

Crystal says:

Oh- I got to try these out (when no other than the real Kate Jones made them!) They are so delicious that my mouth is watering right now thinking of them. I think I’ll have to make them this weekend. Sooooo good!!!

jillian says:

mmmm sounds fantastic! xoxo jillian:: enter to win a leigh viner print!

erin says:

Sounds wonderful, and like it would feed a big group!

Misty says:

The leftover meat is extra tasty in your beef taquitos… I’ve been making this for awhile and think I’ll be adding tit to the menu for next week!

Melissa Smith says:

I gotta say, this is the tastiest, most flavorful thing in the world. I was soooo blown away by the flavor of the meat. And it is torture to smell it cooking in the house all day. You are constantly hungry until it’s ready. But so worth it!!!

Wendy says:

Y’all need to have a book signing in Longview, Tx or Shreveport, LA so I can come and get a book signed. I really enjoy your site and have used so many recipes! Thanks for all the great tips, too.

Dani says:

Yay for the Houston visit. I am definitely going to do my best to make it out that way!

Lisa D says:

This might sound silly but i figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask. This recipe sounds like something my Mom would love BUT she’s allergic to garlic. Do you have any suggestions of what i could do instead of the garlic?

Thanks!

Also, i love your site…and the cookbook. You guys rock! :)

Natalie B says:

One of my husband’s favorite food is peperochini’s, so this is going on the menu for sure!! My two little kids, (almost2 and almost 4) love these peppers too, they really are mild and tangy. Excited to try this out! You guys rock! Any So Cal book signings planned?!?!? C’mon, you know you want to go to the beach. . . .

Melinda Christensen says:

Sounds so great. Can’t wait to try it.

Easy + slowcooker + very few ingredients + tasty = winner. Just to clarify, maybe it’s more obvious than I’m making it out to be, but when you say to dump in the whole jar of peperoncini does that include all of the liguid too?

Tara says:

I’ve made this recipe for years. I add a packet of Ranch dressing mix too. Dee-lish!!!

Jennifer G. says:

I found this recipe a couple of months ago and it is so easy to put together with things on hand. I actually had my teenage son put it together for me while I was at work. Everyone in my family loved it. I love pepperoncinis. This recipe is one that the sum is greater than it’s parts. Try it!

Angee says:

We do this with pork. Yum!

adrienne says:

Yummy! I can’t wait to try this. And yes, we all do need nice buns!!

Christina says:

My husband is drooling over this right now. Guess we’ll be making them this weekend. Thanks for another FANTABULOUS meal!

Steph says:

We have been making this recipe for several years and it is a family favorite. I have even served it for friends that have come over and it has always been a hit.

To answer two of the questions above from my experience:
    – leaving out the garlic will have minimal impact. I think they will still be absolutely delicious with just the beef and the pepperoncinis.
    – You do pour the entire jar, including juice in to the pot.

And a side note…. I am overly jealous of those who get to use this beef in complimentary/2nd meals. We never have a single piece left, it gets devoured quickly by my husband and all 3 boys. Maybe I’ll have to start cooking two roasts so we can try it in other recipes, sounds delish!! ;-)

Alicia says:

This sounds good, but I don’t really like the taste of pepperoncinis. For anyone who’s had it before, do you think the taste changes a lot when you cook it?

Amanda says:

I have been making something similar for a couple years now. I add about 1 cp. beef broth to mine. Gonna have to start adding garlic, too. YUM! While you’re in WA, stop by Sotto Voce at Pike Place. I love to brush a little Olio Santo on the buns before I toast them when I serve these. Adds a little extra something and makes it even more amazing!

Amy says:

This looks yum…can you do a book signing in Boston???? It’s really beautiful in the fall…just sayin… :)

Mark Petersen says:

Now that I’m in Utah, you guys aren’t touring through Utah anymore. Just my luck.

Daphne says:

I made this last night. It was yummy! My husband said it was one of the best things I’ve ever made for him. Thanks for the recipe!

Tina says:

I made this yesterday for dinner and I love the fact that it is easy to assemble and then I can forget about it until it’s time to eat! I didn’t have fresh garlic on hand so I used garlic powder with the salt and pepper before browning. I tried to use the whole jar of pepperocini but my husband kept eating them before they made it into the crock pot (so I think it was closer to 3/4 of the jar actually made it into the pot).

For those who keep posting that pepperocini are spicy, you must be confusing them with some other type of pepper because these are super mild. The jar I used even said “hot” on them and they were anything but hot. They don’t overwhelm the roast but add a really nice flavor to the meat. My entire family loved this meal!

Susan says:

I am dragging my 4 kids to your Houston book signing, call me crazy.

Jessica Warren says:

Hi Kate- I just met your sister Holly. She turned me on to your site, and I am glad that she did. This recipe looks tasty. Awesome work. Thanks.

–Jessica

Elizabeth says:

I made these sandwiches over the weekend with a small roast I had in the freezer. It was too small for a pot roast, but was PERFECT for sandwiches for my husband and I.

DELICIOUS!!! This is going in the recipe box and will be used frequently. Yummz!!

LIana says:

We had this for Sunday dinner last night, oh my yum! Thanks for sharing! We will surely be making this again.

Jenna Wight says:

This is good! My variation is to use 1 onion, sliced, 1 – 2 packages of dry italian dressing mix, 1 cup of water and 1 jar of pepperoncini peppers. I like both recipes!
    Thanks for all your work! Your cookbook has been a lifesaver for me!

LMcBurney says:

I made it the day I read the recipe. What’s not to love…only a few ingredients and a crock pot. It was delicious. The family loved it. Thanks!

Ann Callarman says:

I made this for dinner last night but accidentally bought hot peppers. It was really good and spicy. I am going to use the leftovers to make the taquitos. I can’t wait to try those too!

Kate S. says:

Even after clarification, your pepper pictures are all wrong. Pepperoncinis are green, usually less than 2″ long and only sometimes come pre-sliced in jars. The peppers you show in the slow cooker with your meat are BANANA PEPPERS. Not only do they have an entirely different flavor, they’re a completely different type of pepper; incidentally, one that is much less spicy and with a much more acidic “vinegary” flavor when pickled, but are almost flavorless after cooking.

Anyone reading this, for best results use Pepperoncinis; if you don’t think you can tell the difference, make sure the jar is labeled–most are.

Hate to tell you this Kate S. But *you* are actually all wrong :) I took that picture myself and those peppers came directly out of the bottle with the pepperoncini label. So if you still don’t believe it, you’ll have to take it up with the pepperoncini company!

Mary says:

Kate, mine were sliced and had the word “pepperoncini” on it, in fact that is all my Wal-Mart had.

Chandra Lane-Sirois says:

I made this tonight and all the boys in my family were “Oh So Happy!!!”

Carrie says:

This look soo yummy! I have been following your blog for a few months, everything you post look so good and you make it look so easy to make. This receipe will be the first that I try to make at home from you blog roll. So I got up this morning and starting prepping everythin to make the roast. My husband walks in the kitchen and gets the hugest smile on his face and says ” your cooking?1?” Ummmm, yeah I cook all the time, in my mind…..:-)

I’m pretty sure you’re page has helped me invent an entirely new menu. You’re always posting delicious morsels!!!

Sarah P says:

I made this last night, and it was great. I got a deal on an eye of round and it worked really well.
    My teen son kept hanging out by the slow cooker, and saying, “How much longer! It just smells SO good.”

Cami Harrison says:

best.sandwiches.EVER!!!

Tracey L says:

I’m making this soon! Looks de-lish!! I’ll see you at Aurora Village on Saturday.

Stacy says:

These are THE BEST sami’s ever!! A friend made them for us and i was polite and only ate two, but I really wanted a whole bunch more!!!!!

April says:

I love this recipe! It has been a staple in our house for 10 years! I think I may just make some today!

Kristina says:

This was SO good! My husband loved it. I would have never thought to put these ingredients together like this. Amazing!

Megan says:

Holy cow, these sandwiches are SO good! My husband kept telling me it was his favorite thing that I have EVER made, and I cook all the time, so this was a HUGE hit. Thanks!

Janell says:

My husband is obsessed with these. He even made our home teachers try them when they came over, and then sent them the link to the recipe afterwards. He said, “I have to admit, I think they have been the best sandwiches I have ever had”. Well, I have to admit I think they are some of the easiest sandwiches I’ve made! So, pretty much the perfect recipe. THANKS! :)

Julie says:

I made these tonight and LOVED them!!! One question though: (I’m not a great cook) was I supposed to shred the meat inside the crock pot, then scoop some out with a slotted spoon so I get pepperoncinis on the sandwich as well?? I shredded it out of the crockpot and only used the meat. The meat did have kick, but I am a spice wimp! It was yummy, but I think I might have done it wrong…

Phyllis says:

These looked really good, so I got myself a jar of the Mezetta pepperoncini’s and made these for the 4th of July. They came out really hot! Way too hot for my family.

Erin says:

I made these a few days ago and they are DELICIOUS!!!! Plus, they are super easy! I
    used sandwich thins intead of rolls and low-fat pepperjack cheese to cut down on the
    calories. MMMMmmmmm! I will definitely make these again.

Carolyn in Ga. says:

This recipe and my crockpot recently traveled with our family to Tennessee on vacation. The ingredients were very easy to find at the local market and it was super easy to put together in the crockpot the morning before we headed out for a full day of hiking and fun. When we returned that evening exhausted and hungry, what a treat it was to sit down and enjoy these amazing sandwiches. We added pepperjack cheese to ours and I roasted some fingerling potatoes in the oven as a side. We had enough leftovers for lunch the next day and again, they were a big hit. If you haven’t tried this recipe, please do, it’s amazing!

We made this the other night and it was a HUGE hit! My little brother passed up every kind of pre-dinner treat to save room for this meal because he snitched a bite of the meat and knew how good it was going to be. We all loved it and it will be a CONSTANT repeat in our household!

heidi says:

pretty much amazing. easy tasty filling kid friendly husband friendly packs great for lunches the next day. this may become a weekly thing for us.

diamondfire says:

I also add thin sliced onions, celery and green olives to this along with a bit of italian herbs. I use beer for the liquid. My husband says it is the best Italian beef he’s had outside of Buona Beef in Chicago!

Kari says:

Just made these today….I am not a big meat eater (I have texture issues), so I was just going to serve them to my family. My husband convinced me to try them though, and I thought they were delicious! The flavor paired with the cheese and toasted mayo was just perfect. 2 out of 3 of my kids loved them, the other one thought they were too spicy.

Tosha T. says:

I made this today and it was super fast and tasty! It was a little too spicy for my toddler even though it was mild, but just right for my husband and I. We will be making this again for company sometime!

Tammy says:

I made this tonight and it was DELISH!!!! My husband raved about it…will be sharing your recipe with my FB friends. Thanks again.

Jennifer G says:

My family loves this. It’s delish, especially with the rolls toasted.

Brian says:

I was wondering if people could stop talking about how good the recipes sound?? Could you please cook the dish and post your opinions instead?

Angela says:

I make this however I don’t sear the meat. Just throw in the meat, peppers, garlic, and I add lemon lime soda to cover meat half way up. Cook it till the meat shreds apart. EASY!

I have a recipe very similar to this and it is our favorite!

Tamela Otto says:

This recipe is in the crock pot as I type this. Can’t wait to try it!! My husband is going to love it I’m sure!

DrPepper says:

This smells heavenly while cooking. I did a 3 lb. roast, cooked on high for 5 hours, and it was easily shreddable – and shredded it right in the crockpot with all the peperoncini’s. My jar of peperoncini’s (Merzetta brand, just like the picture shown) was a little spicy. We kinda like the kick, but I wouldn’t say this was a “mild” dish. I’m guessing all jars of peperoncini’s aren’t the same.
    Next time, I’d love to add some onions and maybe even some slice mushrooms near the end.

Emma Thompson says:

I make a similar version of this, but add some beef broth and italian dressing seasoning mix to the slow cooker. It can make the sandwiches a bit messy, but good!

Melissa says:

Wow, this is amazing. I made it tonight and my kids even gobbled it up! It was so good, I can’t wait for the leftovers tomorrow. It also saved our dinner because I was gone all day today. Thanks for the yummy easy meal.

Liz says:

Having to endure the wonderful smell of this cooking all day is not fun! Finally it’s ready and time to eat. Amazing flavor. Very very tasty. Yumm
    I was concerned my kids would not like this but wow they are loving it! Thank you for yet another great recipe.

darcymae says:

Made these for Sunday dinner today and they were DELICIOUS and EASY! Started up the crockpot before church and they were ready to eat about 10 minutes after we got home. The whole family loved them! There was just enough heat to warm up your mouth but not so much that the kids didn’t like it. Thanks for the recipe!!

Rachel says:

Mmmm, this looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

melisfun says:

Could you do it with a pork roast or would it taste funny?

melisfun says:

I made it with a pork roast yesterday and I think it might even taste better…I guess I would have to have them side by side to tell, but it was OH so good! I love this recipe!

Mikayla says:

Made this for dinner tonight. Best. Roast. Ever. I’m a huge fan of French Dip sandwiches, but this one beats them all. So glad it was in your cookbook!

Nettie says:

This might seem like a no-brainer to some people, but I have absolutely no cooking sense whatsoever. When you shred the beef, do you take it out of the juice and shred it, or leave all the juice/peppers in and shred it all together?

Allison Hicken says:

I made this last night and subbed in a pork roast since it was all I had on hand. I also used my store brand pepperocinis and I have to admit I was disappointed. The pepper flavor didn’t carry through to the meat at all and the peppers lost all flavor after a few hours in the crockpot. I will try it with beef next time and look for your specific brand of peppers. I am just tossing that out there for anyone else contemplating pork.

Allison Hicken says:

And I just looked closer at my can of peppers and discovered that they were actually banana peppers. Oops. No wonder it didn’t turn out well. I will read the ingredient lists more closely next time!

Michelle says:

Quick question – we put this on our “menu list” for company this weekend but as I was making my grocery list, I noticed there’s no broth and very little liquid for that size of meat… is that correct? and it doesn’t dry out? Please let me know asap – otherwise we’ll stick with the french dips cause that’s always a fav!! :)

Natalie Wheeler says:

Thanks again Ladies! This was soo good, and super moist! I put my roast in the dutch oven in the oven for about 5 hrs. on 300. I used a chuck roast. It was wonderful!!!

Katherine Mariotti says:

This was a super easy fall recipe for the nights when you are running from one activity to another.

Stacey Childs says:

What would you suggest as a side with these sandwiches?

Marya says:

My family hates pepperoncini’s so I’d prefer to make this in my mini crock pot so they can try it (without committing to a huge 3lb roast). Any suggestions for making this in one of those tiny crock pots?

Looks absolutely AMAZING!! Great recipe, Once Again!! :)

Jana says:

My family loved this recipe. My husband is going to make this for his crew at the fire station.