Anyone want to take a guess on how many nights I’ve slept in my bed in the last 16 days? That magic number would be 3. Right now, Sara and I are heading to Rexburg, Idaho to speak at the BYU-Idaho Business Summit (um, what?! I graduated in English!) The good news is that I get to visit my hardly-ever-visited sister and my even-hardlier-ever-visited nephews. And their dad. And my parents, who have gotten brave and are leaving their two little ones behind.

They may look like just dogs, but apparently they’re not just as good as real children, they’re better–they don’t ever talk back or ask for money. And I’m forced to talk to them on the phone.

So any-who, if you want to come and see us while we’re in town, we’ll be signing books at the following locations (and all of you Idaho Fall-ers, this is your shot!  We won’t be coming to Idaho Falls so come see us in Rexburg!):

June 15th (Hello, that’s TONIGHT!)
5:00 pm
Deseret Book
485 N 2ND E # 104
Rexburg, ID

June 16th
4:00-5:00 pm
BYU-I Bookstore
Rexburg, ID

If you guys have been reading the blog for longer than a year, you know that I’m not really summer’s #1 fan. I really don’t like to be hot and I don’t like bugs. But now that we’re going into our 4th summer of food blogging, I’ve discovered that from a food perspective, I actually love summer. I love the long, leisurely days when I can snap pictures whenever because the light is almost always good, the cheap, fresh produce, the fact that it’s socially acceptable to grill, and because of salads. I love them.

Sara and I recently got to try this salad straight from the source (more about that in a few weeks, we hope!) and I was completely expecting not to love it. I kind of thought I didn’t like edamame because every time I’ve had it, the beans were mushy. What I discovered is that I love edamame as long as they’re cooked JUST until they’re plump and bright green. In fact, if you use frozen edamame, they’ve almost always been blanched so you even just run them under some warm water or, in this salad, just toss the beans with the hot quinoa.

I know. Edamame? Quinoa? Are you really at Our Best Bites? You know you are because the dressing has cilantro, garlic, and lime juice.

This salad comes together super quickly and is a great side dish for a potluck or on a warm summer evening. I also love just eating the leftovers for a light-but-filling lunch.

P.S. Don’t forget to enter the World Market giveaway!!

I can’t wait to try this! I have been on the lookout for healthy and filling lunch and snack options and this looks great!

teresa says:

Love quinoa!
    I know this is the HEALTHIEST dish EVER!
    Yum~xo

Keely says:

I am a big quinoa fan! I LOVED your quinoa and mango salad and have in fact been meaning to email you and see if you had any more delish quinoa recipes and here one is! Keep them coming, you girls are the best!

Vickie says:

I love getting my recipe each day. I love the world market idea. The mango salad is to die for.

Apollina says:

Quinoa is a super star and this is such a simple and healthy dish! I love getting your recipes, they make me happy:)

Jenn J says:

How cilantro-y is this? I’m really not a fan of cilantro, but I love quinoa and edamame & would LOVE to have a salad recipe that incorporates both!

I just made this, it’s not too strong on the cilantro. You could even lessen the amount in the recipe and it would still be great.

Jodi J. says:

Never had quinoa, but have been dying to try it. This recipe looks good. You’ll love Rexburg today, though. Summer hasn’t made it here yet. Still spring and still thinking about that too. Haha!

Michelle says:

Those are 2 very cute fur-kids!

Allison Brenn says:

Such short notice for us SE Idahoans!! If you stop in IF for Cafe Rio, let me know, otherwise I might miss my chance since tonight is already booked and tomorrow isn’t looking so hot either!

Christina says:

I have some of this quinoa and have not known what to do with it!!! Now I’ve got some ideas:)!

Oh- I hope I can come see you while you are here. I have a family bridal shower tonight, but I’m hoping for tomorrow!! Gotta have my book signed, right?

Su Rodriguez says:

LOVE THIS DISH. THANK YOU

Camille says:

So what is the difference between black and “regular” quinoa? I’ve only ever used the regular stuff.

Dana says:

I just adapted that same salad for a party tonight! Actually, mine is totally different now but it was a great starting point. Good luck with everything!

Jenni says:

Where would you find edamame unshelled? I have been looking for it but haven’t found it. Thanks!

Sue Groff says:

I would definitely buy DISHES!!!

Thank you for sharing this. I look forward to trying it!

Pam says:

I didn’t realize you were in Idaho. So am I. Funny. I found your site on the Internet with no clue where you were located. I’m not very familiar with quinoa. Is it like semolina? The dish look delicious (at least to me, who adores edamame!)

Pam, we’re actually just visiting (well, Sara lives in Boise, but we’re on the other side of the state). Normally I’m in Louisiana.

ANYWAY, quinoa is a really great, interesting grain. It’s super versatile–you could make it sweet like oatmeal for breakfast or use it in savory dishes or even as a super healthy, whole grain replacement for rice. I love it–it’s seriously my new favorite super food!

Cami Smith says:

I skipped class today to watch your presentation at BYU-I…so totally worth it! It was very interesting, and very well done. Can I say I thought you two were hilarious! Anyhow, thanks for coming!

Oh, Cami, thank you so much!! I’m so glad that you came (even if you DID skip class, haha!) And yes, you can say that we were hilarious (although you could have thrown “gorgeous” in there and we wouldn’t hate you for it at all… :) )

Natalie says:

I just have to comment on the dogs–my parents have 2 of the same type and same thing–they are their new children. They named the newest one “Emma Rose” for goodness sake! I love your blog! Thanks!

Tonya says:

Costco is the best place (cheapest) for quinoa, it isnt black but is is yummy! They also have edamame in the freezer section that are delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Corene Swisher says:

My new favorite recipe!! And…I haven’t even tried it yet. Can’t wait… Thanks!

Lisa says:

Is this served hot or cold?

Rachel says:

Yummy! I can’t wait to try this! I never use to like Quinoa until someone make it the right way, now I love it. Thanks for the healthy snack idea.

Mary says:

Is “the source” Chef Brad? Because this recipe has Chef Brad written all over it, from the black quinoa to the flaxseed oil. You probably can’t answer that question, but I think it’d be great if that were the case; he’s in our ward and we love that guy….and his new cooking show on BYU-TV! I just discovered your site a couple of weeks ago and I’m loving all the recipes I’ve tried. We just had the Southwest Stuffed Bell Peppers last night for dinner and leftovers for lunch today. Can’t wait to try this fun recipe…thanks!

Brandi says:

Another SUPER quick and easy quinoa edamame salad is to mix quinoa, edamame and pesto, mix and serve cold. I use a rice cooker and vegetable or chicken stock to cook the quinoa. Yum!

Lisa says:

Love the edamame and quinoa, hate the consistency and flavor when I added the dressing- way to over-powering with vinegar and garlic taste and was too wet. I ended up rinsing it all in a fine strainer and it was then edible. I think the combo of the quinoa and edamame is genius, just not with this dressing.

Angela says:

I made this tonight and it was fabulous. Thanks so much!

Megan says:

Made this over Father’s day weekend, and was a HUGE hit! Can’t wait to make it again!!

Quick question – most blogs list their comments from most recent at top to oldest at the bottom… is there a reason you ladies do the opposite? Would love to see the most recent first, so I can read reviews from folks that have made the recipe, just a suggestion :)

Megan, I’m so glad you loved it! As for the comments, with most blogs I read, it goes oldest to newest. That’s funny. :) I’d never even thought to do it the other way around.

Janell Eastman says:

I lvoed the flavor of this salad, but it turned out kind of runny like soup. What do you think I did wrong? I even drained the quinoa and soy beans before adding the dressing?!:{ JE

Janell, that’s super weird. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the quinoa was maxed out on what it could absorb liquid-wise? Next time, maybe try adding a little less water when you cook it so it can absorb some of the liquid from the dressing. And that’s just my best guess, haha! :)

Mary McKee says:

This was delish!! We used lima beans because my mom can’t have any soy and it was so yum!! LOVED the dressing on it! Thanks for the healthy yumminess! You girls are awesome!

What a wonderful salad. I just made it and I LOVE it!

Corene says:

I made it and it’s great! This will be a new favorite in my regular rotation. BTW, I use quinoa in your Greek Couscous Salad recipe and I’ve given the recipe out several times. Keep ‘em coming!

Lisa says:

Made this last night- so good! One thing, I think I made it a bit to lime-y. I didn’t have fresh limes (would have been better, I know) so just squeezed in lime juice. How would you say “jucie of one lime” converts to in lime juice- how many tsp or TBSP?
    Thanks!

Amy Salvia says:

I’m making this and your Asian marinated chicken for a family BBQ tomorrow. Yum Yum Yum!!

NATALIE says:

this recipe would work out great for my detox. Thanks!

Amy says:

I was wondering what Rice Wine Vinegar was? I have heard of wine vinegars and rice vinegars but not rice wine together. Is it the same as rice vinegar? If not, where do I find it? My local grocer hadn’t heard of it either. Thanks.

Ashley Davis says:

Let’s say I don’t have rice wine vinegar or flax oil or grapeseed oil and I’m on a budget and moving soon so trying not buy large quantities of anything I might not use up.

I saw that a couple people said they adjusted the recipe for the dressing- any thoughts on how to make another great dressing for it? Love quinoa and edamame- two super foods so definitely want to make a variation of this!!

Ashley Davis says:

Went ahead and made this according to the recipe- next time I would definitely use a different dressing- the dressing would probably be good with a tablespoon of rice vinegar instead of 1/2 cup. All I could taste was the rice vinegar at the end.

kat blue says:

I am lurking the blog and actually LOVE q and edamame even though my family doesnt..but I actuially have these ingredients in my frig/pantry now and am gonna make this for my lunch tomorrow! (I hjve the red quinoa)…will link you back and let you know how it turns out!
    kate

Jill says:

You can get steamed / shelled / vacuum-packed edename at Trader Joe’s

Bonnie says:

I just made this recipe and I have to agree with Lisa (Comment 26). All I could taste was vinegar. Thanks for the suggestion to rinse it… I love edamame and quinoa. Any suggestions on a different dressing?

Kelly says:

despite my initial shock of how much rice vinegar was required for the dressing… i really enjoyed the flavor. i am so glad i stumbled upon this recipe. yum.

marla says:

Hi! Hope you had a FAB weekend! Great recipe ~ Will be linking back to this in my post today :)

[...] Here is a link to the original recipe, but I made some adaptations (I couldn’t find black quinoa, I didn’t buy grapeseed oil, etc…) So, here’s how I made it: [...]

Natalie says:

this looked so good, but I made it and it was awful. :( sad to have waisted all the edamame on it. Hope others like it! :)