I know. Some of you are saying, “Hey, Kate, it’s not 1989! Fruit pizza hasn’t been cool for, like, 20 years now.” Well, I’m here to tell you that I’m bringing it back, baby. I don’t care if it was served at the baby shower held for your mother when she was pregnant with you–it is gorgeous and delicious and no one ever told YOU you weren’t cool just because you were adorable in 1989, right?

Right.

Anyway, for the crust of our super-cool pizza, I’m using our sugar cookie recipe…

with a little twist… Because orange zest makes everything better.

After you make your dough, spray a pizza pan (not a pizza stone–cookies don’t do so well on pizza stones) with non-stick cooking spray and drop your dough into the center.

Using a rolling pin and your fingers, gently shape the dough in to a circle. If you’re feeling awesome, you can flute the edges (because we all know the most awesome people flute the edges of their fruit pizzas).

Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place the whole thing in the refrigerator for about an hour.

When you’re ready to bake the crust, preheat the oven to 350. Bake the crust for 18-25 minutes or until it’s golden around the edges and completely cooked in the center. You can cook it a little longer if you prefer a crispier cookie.

While the crust is baking, wash your strawberries and blueberries. Slice the strawberries and pat everything dry with paper towels. Set the berries aside.

While the crust is cooling, you’ll want to make the creamy topping. If you’re going to be blogging about it, now is a great time to take pictures of making the creamy topping, a piece of advice I could have used when I was making the creamy topping. Oh, well, right?

Anyway. Let us embark upon the imagination portion of our journey.

Using an electric mixer, beat some cream cheese, brown sugar, and orange extract on high until the mixture is light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, beat some heavy cream and powdered sugar until medium peaks form. Fold the whipped cream mixture into the cream cheese mixture and mix until combined. Dollop the creamy topping onto the crust. [Side note: It is at this point that I remember I have this awesome thing called a camera].

Spread the topping over the crust. Like so.

You can arrange the berries however you want on your pizza. It can be patterned or haphazard, whatever your style is. I decided to do a little pattern and, a week later, I still haven’t regretted it.

Once your berries are how you want them, you can really live on the edge, melt some dark chocolate, and drizzle it all over everything. Then you can take your extra berries and dip them in your extra chocolate–I still haven’t regretted that, either. Refrigerate the pizza until you’re ready to serve it, then cut it into thin (or thick–hey, no judging from the girl who ate a chocolate marshmallow brownie and a Diet Coke for breakfast this morning!) wedges and serve.

Rachel says:

Seriously, this looks AMAZING… and not just because it’s 11:39 pm and I have a serious case of the munchies. Definitely going to make this!

I’m happy you are bringing back fruit pizza:-) Yours is so pretty!

Darsee Vanderloo says:

On my “to do” list today was, “Figure out what to make for dessert for BUNCO on Friday.” Decision made!

I guess I know what I’m making for the 4th of July! Fruit of July pizza! )that’s what my son wants to call it (he’s 9….). I think we’ll use raspberries instead though.

I also think I’ll make a flag pizza (regular) and use pepperonis as the stripes and mushrooms in the corner for the stars.

YUMMY can’t wait til Monday!

Mel says:

Thanks for a fun recipe! I always loved my grandmother’s fruit pizza, which she served at a baby shower in my honor in 1993 which was only 18 years ago. If it seems old fashioned to call it pizza, then put it in a tart pan and call it a tart. Because either way it looks delicious!

Ashley says:

This looks amazing! Guess I know what I’m making now to take to the in-laws this weekend! :-)

Who says fruit pizza went out of style in the 80s? :( I make it probably about once a year for special occasions and no one has ever complained. Everyone I’ve ever served it to loves it! I’m eager to try your crust and frosting recipes, though, since they’re different than mine.

Erika says:

Yeah, I don’t think that fruit pizza ever can or should go out of style. In fact, I ate it at a baby shower JUST LAST MONTH! Not in 1989! At any rate, this looks delicious–this looks like the same cream filling for the strawberry pie you posted around easter, which is probably my favorite cream filling ever. Seriously, I can (…and do) eat it by the large spoonful before introducing it to its dessert collaborators. I’ll probably make this soon!

Leigh says:

We made fruit pizza a few weeks ago with your sugar cookie recipe (which is fabulous!) Next time we’ll have to try the orange zest.

I have to disagree on one point….we LOVE cookies on a pizza stone. We’ve even been doing them lately on the pizza stone on the grill! (We’ve been boycotting the oven to avoid heating the apartment.)

Kim says:

Kate, I think I love you

Laura says:

This looks and sounds AMAZING!! Can’t wait to try it….I love making vegetable pizza- (crescent rolls, sour cream, ranch packet and sliced raw veggies…sooo delicious!)

Camille says:

That looks good… but I have to tell you, the write up on it was so entertaining, if I hadn’t have seen the final picture, I’d still have a smile on my face. Thanks!

OOH i’ve been looking for a great fruit pizza frosting and hope this is the one…fruit of july (i totally heart things like that :) here i come!!!

Aubri says:

This looks fab! I’ve used your sugar cookie recipe to make mini fruit pizzas as well…just use a circle cookie cutter and bake them, then decorate. So yummy!

Marci says:

Oh my goodness, this looks incredible! I may not be able to wait until the 4th of July for this one!

You can never go wrong with a fruit pizza… no matter what decade it is! ; )

Fruit pizza is still awesome even if it is out of style. I love it!

Jen H says:

I LOVE fruit pizza and have been looking for a good recipe! I am so excited and am definitely making it for my 4th of July party!!

Nicole says:

I’m not sure who says fruit pizza is out of style, but my high school students can’t get enough of it. They are always asking for another fruit pizza cooking lab.

Rebekah says:

Yummy! I may use store-bought crust since I am a lazy baker. ;)

I have been making fruit pizza for years. I always spread some strawberry glaze over my cream cheese layer before I lay on the fruit. Makes it really look like pizza.

alex says:

I adore fruit pizza..if it’s wrong, I don’t want to be right!

Annie says:

Just wondering how far ahead of time you can make this? Does the crust get soggy if it’s in the fridge too long, like a day or 2?

Natalie B says:

Our fruit pizza’s usually start to get soft after a few days in the fridge. The crust doesn’t get soggy, just softer than strait out of the oven. No worries from us, I like the texture!!

PS- I USUALLY cheat and use a sugar cookie mix, but will change my lazy ways and try this recipe next time!!!!

Pam says:

This sounds and looks super to me. And I agree, so what if it’s not “cool.” If it is pretty and it is delicious, then I say it’s a winner!

JConnolly says:

I typically blend almond paste into my filling on my fruit pizza and everyone loves it. I’m thinking you could incorporate the almond (extract or paste) into the cookie crust and it would be totally fabulous. Also, for those looking for a “lazy way” to do it, I sometimes just use rolled out crescent roll dough for the crust, especially if I’m serving it for breakfast. Makes it a little less sweet.

I love love love fruit pizza even though I can’t recall the last time I had it. It brings back good memories for me though as we had it at one of the most fun Super Bowl Parties I remember.

Angie Castaneda says:

Hey this is so cool! I do a flag fruit pizza every year for July 4. It’s the same thing only I make it in a rectangular pan and then put strawberry and banana slices for stripes and blueberries for the star section of the flag. It’s delicious!

Katz says:

Oh my goodness! All I can say is YUM!!!!!!

Jamie says:

Boy, it’s a good thing all food with fruit on it has zero calories (or so I tell myself!). Looks fabulous. = )

Tori says:

My 8 year old had fruit pizza instead of cake for her birthday. It’s still cool.

Janet Smith says:

I loved fruit pizza in the 80′s and still love it today! Thanks for posting a yummy reminder of things that are good to eat! :-)

I bet it would look amazing drizzled in white chocolate too plus it would keep the whole “red, white & blue” theme going.

Christina says:

What a great recipe for the upcoming holiday. Gorgeous pictures!

Nancy T. says:

This looks so yummy! I’ll have to try it out sometime this summer!

Deann says:

fruit pizza went out of style?? I don’t believe it! LOL Fruit pizza will always be cool. Can’t wait to try yours :)

Kelli says:

I know have Justin Timberlake singing SexyBack stuck in my head only know it’s “I’m bringing Fruit Pizza back…” help me!! It looks delicious and beautiful. Who wouldn’t want a piece? Take that fruit pizza haters!

Becca says:

I love fruit pizza! And this looks wonderful…no surprise coming from you ladies!

Cathy says:

Wow that looks so good to eat! Something that yummy never goes out of style it just gets better with age. Fruit pizza is one of my favorite food groups :o)

Brittany says:

Ok, so Maggie is sitting next to me and when she saw the fruit pizza she went, “Ooooooooh….Mom, I really want that! I’ll go get a pen and paper so I can write down what ingredients we need to buy!” I guess we’ll be making this in the near future! I’m praying that strawberries and blueberries aren’t too outrageously expensive bc apparently my 5 year old needs this!

Megan says:

Hi Kate. This looks amazing. I have a couple of questions. 1) I don’t have orange extract and not sure I want to buy it, since I don’t know when I would use it again (in the next year or so), so can I substitute orange juice or orange zest? If not, I guess I will have to buy it. 2) I am not artistic like you, and wish I was! I love your little fruit pattern in the middle of your pizza. Did you continue that same pattern throughout the pizza? I’m trying to figure it out by looking at your 2nd picture. Thanks.

Hi, Megan! Don’t worry about buying the orange extract, just toss 1/2 tsp. of orange zest in there. I did continue the pattern, although it kind of lost itself near the end. :)

Robin says:

I’m curious why you don’t like cookies on a pizza stone? I’ve used both and cookies on a stone always turn out better… at least for me.

Robin, it could just be my stone, but my cookies always come out too fluffy. And they taste like garlic, but that’s probably because of the obscene amount of pizza I make… :)

Need help ladies – is Orange Zest a requirement for the crust or could I use dried valencia orange peel? (McCormick brand) thanks!!!!

Emily Anderson says:

I made this last night to go along with our traditional Friday night pizza night dinner and it was divine. Thx for the recipe. I would change the amount of orange vest next time. It over powered my slices although my husband said he didn’t even notice it. We all jilted the pizza including my one ear od and four yr ok’d.

the crust part of this is done and oh boy does it smell YUMMY! Orange and fruity and sweet!

Can’t wait to get the “frosting” on along with the fruit (already cut up).

Yummeroos!

Liz Buscema says:

I made this for a party yesterday & everyone loved it!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Made this yesterday and everybody LOVED it, raved about it. I also loved it for breakfast this morning…

Laurel says:

Just made this, and it looks awesome! Can’t wait to eat it! (although, I’ve been snacking on everything as I made it: the frosting, the chocolate, the berries, the cake…) ;)

Amanda says:

My sister made this for our 4th celebration. It was soooo good and so beautiful!

Crystal Burch says:

One of my fondest memories as a child was a teacher from church coming to my house on my birthday with a big fruit pizza! I have loved it ever since and will never quit making it. My husband gets very upset with designs because, “You have to have every piece of fruit on every slice of pizza!!” So, my creativity is limited. LOL!!! Really??? Goof ball.

Brooke B says:

The orange zest added the most AMAZING twist! I don’t think I’ll ever make sugar cookies without it again! SO delicious!!!

Dena says:

This is probably a dumb question, but every time I make a fruit pizza the crust doesn’t turn out that well. In my stone it is too soggy (and now I see you said not to use a stone on cookies so I won’t anymore!) and my other pizza pan has the holes all over it and makes cookies too hard. So what pizza pan do you ladies use? I think I need to invest in a different kind!

Ella says:

I think it looks so so pretty !!!
    and delicious

Nellie says:

I made this for a party on Saturday and it was such a hit that I made it again for another party on Monday. The almond extract and orange zest in the crust are what make this dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sherri says:

I made this for the 4th, and it was amazing. It looked great and tasted even better! I ate it for dessert, then breakfast the next day, then for dinner last night. I tweaked it a little and used half vanilla and half lemon extract in the dough, then just used some orange zest in the frosting. I don’t know how you used all of the frosting on the pizza though, because we had a ton extra! We used it as a strawberry fruit dip last night. Yum! Thanks for the recipe idea..

Andrea B says:

Hands down one of the best desserts I have made in a long time, not too sweet. So simple but so delish! Made it for the 4th and we are still fighting over every last piece. Thank god it makes a nice BIG pizza!

garysgirl says:

My mom and sisters made this recently for my whole family and they said it was AMAZING!! So, now I HAVE to make it! hehe ;P I was also wondering if the video of you all making it on tv is on here somewhere (or where I can find it). I love watching you all make things! lol ;P

Drew says:

Rock on. My mom used to make these all the time. I’m making one for a co-worker this weekend and just came on the site figuring you had a recipe posted somewhere for fruit pizza. They are way cool and always have been. Now Harry Potter on the other hand…

Amanda Doran says:

I made this yesterday for a friend’s bday and it was sooo good! Everyone liked it!! Just one question, though- what size pizza pan is this recipe intended for? I used a 12″ pan and the cookie crust was really thick and I had so much frosting I didn’t use it all. Don’t get me wrong, it still tasted amazing! :) Thanks!!

Rebekah says:

Very good! Love the orange zest in the crust! Two thumbs up!!!!

Liesel says:

I have been craving fruit piazza so I am making it right now but my cream cheese frosting turned out clumpy!! Do I need to soften the cream cheese first? It tastes delicious so far though!!

L.Michelle says:

OMG! It is 7.17am here & I have stumbled upon this beautiful view of deliciousness!!
    I’m going to step up the exercise the next few days so I can make share and enjoy this devine looking treat you have shared. Thank You :D

Love it! I added you to my RW&B recipe round up, with a link back to your site for the recipe, of course. If that’s not OK, please let me know! Thanks!!