My husband and I have been having a few of the same “discussions” our whole marriage: 1) the fact that he is seemingly incapable of throwing anything away. 2) the fact that I can’t ever remember where _________ is/are (insert your item of choice here–keys, pens, immunization cards, my purse, my cell phone, the house phone, my engagement ring…well, the engagement ring thing only happened once, but it was a tense couple of hours. Turns out I’d used it as a bookmark the night before when I was falling asleep reading. Tip: for the sake of your relationship, never use your engagement ring as a bookmark.) 3) the fact that I love folksy rock music that he finds pretentious and that he likes Katy Perry for more than her voluminous bosoms (not that liking her for her bosoms is any better). And 4) the fact that I like chocolate, but I only eat/make chocolate desserts maybe 50% of the time whereas for him, if there’s not chocolate in his dessert, it’s automatically knocked down a few pegs. I mean, this is the man who makes his root beer floats with chocolate ice cream.

So imagine my shock and, I’ll admit it, a little bit of horror when we had these brownies

not too long ago and he told me they were…wait for it…too chocolatey. *Gasp* What was more shocking was that I completely loved them and did not think they were too chocolatey and that when they were coupled with a Diet Coke, they formed the New Breakfast of Champions.

What was bad is that I tried adding a graham cracker crust (which ended up not being a great idea–let’s not mess with perfection here) and I thought it would be weird to send my husband to work with a big pan of brownies along with instructions to scrape off the bottom layer, so I was stuck with a whole 9×13″ pan of the most devilishly awesome brownies that my life partner had deemed “too chocolatey.” I finally had to just fill the whole rest of the pan with water so I’d stop cutting off a little corner every time I walked by (which ends up being quite often when you’re a food blogger).

It starts out with a really fabulous brownie recipe. You’ll need all-purpose flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla. The recipe I use calls for chopped pecans, but I think nuts in brownies are an abomination, so I replaced them with chocolate chips. Of course.

Preheat your oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9×13″ pan and set it aside.

Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer. Melt the butter, lightly beat the eggs, and add those to the flour mixture along with the vanilla.  Spread the batter into the prepared pan and bake it for 40-50 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Now…there’s been a little debate about how long these brownies need to bake, and unfortunately, I don’t have the perfect answer. Here are the facts:

-These brownies should be very  moist and fudgy.
-The original recipe says to bake them for 30 minutes.
-I am essentially at sea-level and bake these is a glass Pyrex 9×13 pan.
-At 25 minutes (because I always check a few minutes before they’re supposed to be done), my brownies were JUST starting to firm up around the very, very edges of the pan and were completely liquid inside.
-I checked them every five minutes  and they were done in the 45-50 minute range.
-Other people have had them come out dry at 30-35 minutes.

I wish, wish, wish I could give you a more accurate baking time, but there are just too many variables. I do know that if you’re baking them in a metal pan, they’ll take less time, especially if it’s a dark metal pan. Usually things at a low elevation bake faster, but apparently not in this case. Bottom line is that there are so many variables in the science of baking, many of which we’re generally not aware of and can vary from day to day, so while it’s a pain, until you know how your oven and baking equipment bakes these brownies, you should start checking on them around 25-30 minutes and keep checking every 5 until the toothpick just BARELY comes out clean.
(do you see all the holes from me testing my brownies? And those holes are from after it was too early to even bother testing. This pan is starting to look like a baked heroin addict…)

Any-who. Then you want to take some marshmallows and spread them over the hot brownies. Have you seen those flat marshmallows from Kraft? They are awesome (and Kraft is totally not paying me to say that). I like them so much better than mini marshmallows because they’re already in the shape that you want them for brownies, but if mini marshmallows are all you have, you’ll need about 3 cups of them.

Pop the pan back into the oven and bake it just long enough for the marshmallows to puff up and start to turn golden brown on top.

Allow the brownies to cool completely. While they’re cooling, we get to the naughtiest part of the brownies:

Oh, goodness, Tim Riggins what are you doing here in my blog post? No, seriously, like Tim Riggins, the frosting is totally the, “Oh, no, I shouldn’t, thank you, please, can I have some more?” part of these brownies.

You’ll need powdered sugar, more cocoa powder, more butter, more vanilla, and evaporated milk, which is a GREAT way to add richness to frostings without adding a ton of calories. But seriously, who’s counting at this point??

Melt the butter and then combine it with the rest of the ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Then, when the brownies are cool, spread it all over the marshmallow layer.

These can be kind of a pain to cut, especially getting the first few out, but just take your time and make firm, straight-down cuts (to make sure the marshmallows are getting cut), wiping the blade often. This recipe makes about 24 brownies, which will mean 24 brand-new best friends.

Nicole Peck says:

Yeah, there’s no such thing as too chocolately. These look scrumptious!!

Jackie Smith says:

“together with a Diet Coke formed the New Breakfast of Champions” This made me laugh out loud (really!). Thanks for the smile! :)

Pamela says:

Um….it’s 2:30 in the morning and I seriously have to fight the urge to go to the 24 hour grocery store and make these tonight. I’m seriously drooling though, and I *will* be making these…..SOON! :)

Brooke says:

Too chocolatey… psshhhh… What a silly husband you have! These look so good. Although I’ll have to wait for a cheat meal to make these bad boys. And I’ll make sure I have company that night so as to rid the pan of more brownies. The calories of which I do not need… but will gladly consume if left in the pan. No self control, I tell ya!

Katie says:

These look really yummy!

gscrapbooks says:

You had me at Tim Riggins! Oh my! Looks great – and the brownies too! ;-)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says:

The brownies look sooo good! And perfect to eat while watching Friday Night Lights. Love that show!!! Can’t believe there is only one more new episode. Sooo sad to see it end!

Oh, my gosh, I know. Confession: I bought the 5th season on DVD, so I’ve seen how it ends. It’s seriously one of the best finales ever (not to say I didn’t bawl my way through it).

Kelly Morphy says:

OMG, Tim Riggins….I can’t believe it’s almost over. Seriously my favorite show ever!! Glad he has made an appearance for the show’s ending.

Maurita says:

LOVE TIM RIGGINS!! love & miss Friday Night Lights… such a great series, (I didn’t know Texas had so much under age drinking.) Now to whip me up some brownies and rewatch the series…. may need a few batches!!

Suzanne says:

First off, I love Mississippi Mud Brownies. They are not too chocolatey. They are perfection, and they go perfectly with Tim Riggins. Can’t wait to try them (the brownies).

mattie says:

yes, these brownies look good, but i just like the fact that you snuck in a picture of tim riggins. i’ve also seen the whole 5th season and i’m going through withdrawals. pretty sure i cried in the finale too.

Liz says:

I was also sold on these thanks to the Riggins picture. Love me some FNL and brownies. :)

Kelly Clark says:

Seriously!! How have we never hung out before…Tim Riggins can DEFINITELY be added to the list of our likes!! Oh…and the brownies look DIVINE!!

Lisa Stimpson says:

Ha Ha…Laughed my head off. I seriously do want these for breakfast coupled with a Dr Pepper! Thanks!

Kelly Irene says:

o.m.g. you are making the goal of NOT gaining 50 pounds this time very difficult for this pregnant mama! hahaha! The brownies look sooooo good, and unfortunately I have everything on hand to make them but no one to share them with (because my weird hubby doesn’t like dessert.) Thanks for posting this goodness. If I make them soon, I’ll let you know.

Aly says:

I just laughed so hard at the Tim Riggins. That was really funny. Oh, the brownies look good too. Thanks!

Sarah says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That was hilarious… I burst out laughing (Seriously. Out loud and everything!) …and those brownies look just as scrumptious as Tim Riggins. ;)

Kelly says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks adding nuts to desserts is destroying it. I will eat nuts in a car, in a house and with a mouse but if you add them to my dessert, I will not eat them!!

It’s such a pain to dig them out of brownies and I’m left with such a mess….yes, I will dig them out in front of you and make you feel bad for adding them.

Oh and this recipe is following me to the summer family get together!!!

Too chocolatey? I think they look amazing! Although when I made my favorite brownie recipe I thought they were too rich at first. What was wrong with me?!

LIssa Rogers says:

I love your site and your cook book! The fun thing is that I have family in Star, Idaho and DeRidder, Louisiana — so you are literally near to my heart. Loved the recipe today, but I gasped at the Tim Riggins photo! We LOVE Friday Night Lights. Thanks for sharing Tim Riggins with the world. . And validating my theory of the Breakfast of Champions. You have all the food groups covered in those brownies and the diet coke rounds off the meal. A scrumptious post in every way!!

Oh Tim Riggins…be still my heart!!! Can’t get enough of him, Friday Night Lights or Chocolate!! Thanks for the yummy recipe. My mom used to make a version of this all the time when I was little. I can’t wait to make them for my kids.

Jamie M says:

Thank you I needed a dessert for my daughters activity tonight, I think we will be making these!!

That’s how my husband is…if there isn’t chocolate in it then it isn’t dessert. Bless his mother’s heart for teaching him this.

And bless Tim Riggins heart for his delicious look as well.

alex says:

clearly, you should re-name these the Tim Riggins Brownies. Love him..and the brownies!

I totally am. You’ve inspired me.

• Andrea says:

I just might have remembered these brownies because you renamed them! We just moved and the four year old and I made these to take down to the fire station at the end of the street. Do people do that? She’s insisting. It should be interesting.

Dezi A says:

Nuts in brownies ARE an abomination!! And I love Friday Night Lights!

Allison says:

There is absolutely no way I could make these in my house because I would eat them all. But they look amazing. And I LOVE the Tim Riggins reference–so true!

@R says:

For ease of presentation, may I suggest transferring the brownies from the brownie pan to a flat sheet pan before the marshmallows and frosting are added? Then they’ll be easy to slide onto a cutting board and not lose any corner pieces. You may have to trim the edges to make them pretty, but that’s the cook’s prerogative. ;)

Megan says:

I’ve made brownies very similar to these for a long time and they are always a hit. But I’ve never made it from scratch. I bet these are even better! Now I need to wipe the drool off my keyboard…

Benita says:

You had me at Tim Riggins. I have to make these ASAP.

These look AMAZING! I hate nuts in my brownies too! I’ve been looking for a new complete TV series to watch…looks like Friday Night Lights will be it! ;)

Tarah says:

You had me at Tim Riggins!!

Too chocolatey? That’s a ridiculous statement! Lol! These look like the best things ever!

no way?! too chocolatey? there IS NO such thing, surely.

Can’t wait to try these – I have a feeling I”ll have one very ecstatic little boy when I do!

Jessica says:

Kate- Please tell me where you found the adorable polka-dot charger. I am doing a maybe shower in 2 weeks and a few of these would look great on my dessert table. The decor theme is polka-dots in the exact same colors. jtgreen22@yahoo.com

Jennasee Robison says:

You HAD me at Tim Riggins!! My husband and I have been watching Friday Night Lights on netflix and I’m still trying to explain to him why I find him so attractive. I think the “Oh, no, I shouldn’t, thank you, please, can I have some more?” explains it well :) These brownies look DELICIOUS! I will HAVE to try them :)

Mrs G. says:

Mmmmmmm Tim Riggins…. Mmmmmmmm brownies. Now if I just had him to take the brownies out of the oven.

Teeny Jones says:

kaTe, you are too funny! and they look great.
    what is it about not throwing things away? drives me crazy!

Bahahaha, You’re just awesome Kate. :) Love how you sneaked Tim Riggins in there.

Jamie says:

Have you tried cutting with a plastic knife? I don’t know how it will do with the frosting/marshmallow layer, but a plastic knife is the worlds best utensil for cutting brownies. Maybe a hot knife would work best to slice of a little morsel of Tim Riggins… = )

Jaime says:

Just curious….why evaporated milk in the frosting verses regular milk? Is it just for taste or is it needed for something else?

It just tastes richer and creamier than regular milk–kind of like using half and half minus the extra fat.

• Jaime says:

Gotcha, thanks!

Hey, in your post you mention adding vanilla to the frosting, but the recipe itself doesn’t say anything about it. I did add a tsp. and it tasted, mmmmmmmmm! These brownies are SO good, thanks for sharing!!

Linda says:

Just the title had my mouth watering (the Tim Riggins part…hehe). These look decadent…and dangerous–I must try them!

the emily says:

Apparently we’re soulmates. I make these all the time just from a brownie mix–that’s not the soulmate part. But I am constantly losing EVERYTHING. I’ve had my ring replaced because I lost it on a road trip, not to mention the thirty thousand other times I’ve lost (and then found) it. I hate that about myself. Also, I have a major crush on Tim Riggins.

Kennedy says:

ummm… yes please!!! :)

Jill N. says:

I have had these “mississippi mud” brownies since I was a kid. The recipe is so tattered and stained its hard to read now. (have you tried making it with brownie mix to cut the prep time?) My mom actually just made a batch while I was home with my kids for a month! I can’t believe how many times I walked by and just took a “bite”! So good and so not too chocolatey.

Denise says:

Chocolate brownies + Tim Riggins = YUM! They look delish…uh, as does Mr. Riggins!

Cindy says:

How many flat marshmallows DOES it take to cover the pan? Thanks in advance.

Oh, Kate, I KNEW we were kindred spirits… Nuts in brownies are, most definitely, an abomination!!! :) Good call using the flat marshmallows for these brownies – I will give that a try next time. The only difference in my stand-by MS Mud brownies is the top layer is more of a glaze to be drizzled over the top, though it’s made up of the same ingredients – just not beat in the mixer. Either way… YUMMY!!

Kiersten says:

I had to laugh at your “discussions” with your husband because we have the EXACT same conversations in our house, only opposite (minus the Katy Perry. I don’t even know her music). And if you never throw anything away, it’s a lot easier to keep track of it! Anyway, because of that, maybe my husband will think these brownies are fantastic (but I’m pretty sure I will too).

By the way, my mom thinks it’s an abomination to NOT put nuts in brownies. I think she’s crazy.

Emily Anderson says:

Yummo! Can’t wait to make these!

Jami says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tim Riggins! I am so happy he is out of jail ;) I will be making these for sure, just like I made your last brownie post! (and ate most by myself) Considering I am 7 1/2 months prego this could be risky…….

OK – so I’ve never seen Friday Night Lights… am I totally missing something here?! Should I start watching it?! LOL

Bethany Nielsen says:

I am all over these! So glad to know that I’m not the only Tim Riggins crusher in town (over the age of 20). Love you guys more then you’ll ever know!

Angie says:

I am making these not only because I love chocolate, but because I love Tim Riggins just as much and you totally combined my two favorite things.

I have a weakness for mississippi mud anything!

Meghan says:

Any tips on how to cut the brownies once they are cool? The marshmallow layer is giving me issues!

Try popping the pan in the freezer–the marshmallows seem to cut better when they’re harder. Cutting with a plastic knife might help. The other thing is that you might just want to make an “ugly corner” where you get a piece out that will help you get the rest of the brownies out a little more easily.

Jamilyn says:

Have you ever tried them with the vanilla (snowman) marshmallows that are sold around the holidays? My grandma makes Marshmallow Brownies and one time around Christmas they were the only ones she had in her pantry and they were AMAZING!! I have some in my pantry I may have to give this recipe a try with them! They look amazing and my Hubby is a huge brownie person.

Stacey says:

OH TIM RIGGINS! This is possibly the best blog post ever! Brownies and Tim Riggins, Y.U.M.

kristin says:

you are a CRACK UP! I seriously love your posts, they’re sooo funny. thanks for making me lol today.

amy says:

Love the post Kate!

angela parsons says:

i have to make these just because you put in Tim Riggins

Janssen says:

I knew I liked you before, but now with Tim Riggins? Friends for life.

Tricia says:

Really? Melt the butter? for the frosting? I need this frosting, maybe even tonight, and it’s already 11:30! omg.. and a side of tim? I won’t fight it ;)

Katie Chase says:

Love the idea of flast marshmallows. Been making a variation of these for many years. They get better as they get older! Try making them in a half sheet pan and they only need 20 or so minutes and you get a ton of them….still delicious!

A. Jill says:

I may be shunned, but I do love nuts in my brownies. Especially Mississppi Mud ones. My mom makes these a lot, and it always brings me back to my childhood. Her version (and mine) have nuts and COCONUT in the batter. Does coconut count as a nut? That is is what Mississppi mud is at my house,

Nah, we won’t shun you. Maybe we’re the ones who should be shunned. :)

Laura says:

I will not shun you. I am an equal-opportunity brownie eater. With or without nuts, all brownies are welcome in my home. And in addition, I never say no to trying something new, so maybe I will try coconut in my brownies next time.

Patti says:

I totally agree that nuts in brownies are a complete abomination. However, for my sister, she’ll totally pass on a brownie if it DOESN’T have nuts in it. I have a bag of flat marshmallows just waiting on my cupboard shelf with nothing to do!
    What do you think of lining the pan with a layer of parchment paper, then after it is baked, lifting the whole thing out of the pan before cutting it? That should help with the “ugly corner” issue, right?

Tricia L says:

Love this post! So funny and delicious :)

melanie swanson says:

I love Tim Riggins. I love chocolate. So I am fairly certain that you cannot go wrong with a dessert called the Tim Riggins Brownie. Thank you, Thank you!

Kristen K. says:

These are delectable! My mom made these quite a few times when I was growing up…they’re a favorite! Mmmmm!!!

Rachel says:

Yummy! That goes for both the brownies and Tim Riggins! Love Friday Night Lights!

Trish says:

Oh Mylanta!!! That looks good. I must make soon……off to buy evaporated milk.

maggie says:

I L.O.V.E. Tim Riggins! Not sure if the brownies can really compare to that hunk of a {good}bad boy but excited to be tempted. Isn’t it crazy that I act like he’s a real person? Truly appreciate the food/Friday Night Lights analogy.

Mandy says:

Can I just tell you THANK YOU for posting Tim Riggins in your blog? THANK YOU! Not only do the brownies sound delish, I think I’ll have a side of him too :-) Can’t wait to try these mmmmmmm……

Traci Christensen says:

Brownies look awesome but not a huge fan of the post

Dianna says:

Too much chocolate for me but LOVED the blog. We could easily be girlfriends!

Whit says:

Mmmmm… these look delcious. You can’t go wrong with chocolatey, marshmallowy goodness. As for Tim Riggins… I LOVE me some Friday Night Lights, but I’m a Coach Taylor girl all the way! He needs a brownie! :P

Could she really mean THAT Tim Riggins? I must read to find out…reading, laughing, reading, reading, laughing, ooh those look so good, reading, is she ever going to mention Tim Riggins? reading, drooling, reading, reading, OH YEAH! THERE it is! You are awesome. The end.

Laura says:

I never thought I’d come across a blog that I loved as much as smittenkitchen.com but the day has come. You’re hilarious. I’ll be back. PS I want one of them there brownies.

Laura says:

And another PS is that I don’t watch Friday Night Lights. I had no idea what I was missing.

Oh, Laura…not only are you missing Tim Riggins, the beautiful bad boy with the heart of gold, but a salt-of-the-Earth, tough-exterior coach who you simultaneously want to be married to and to be your father, a kid that you love who has every odd in the world stacked against him, an injured former star who’s trying to find his place in the world now that he can’t play football, and the best portrayal of marriage I’ve ever seen. Seriously. If you have Netflix, go watch it (and prepare to bawl your eyes out on a regular basis).

Paula says:

Okay, I feel like there’s a piece of me missing now. I was your kindred sould with you when you were losing immunization cards and car keys, touting the breakfast of champions, and so much more (Dr. Seuss, Pier One. . .).

But I’ve never heard of Tim Riggins.

(I am so ashamed!)

Toni says:

I made them gluten free yesterday. Everyone thought they were amazing. Just replaced the flour with gluten free flour – tada! I might add an additional egg in the future – I thought they were a little dry with the gluten free flour – no one else complained however :)

I love that nuts in brownies are an abomination to you. May your brownies always be desolate of such abomination!

Jessica s says:

We are chocolate and brownie lovers at our house. When my hubby asked for brownies last night I pulled up this recipe. Even just looking at the ingredients, I was thinking “Wow, that’s a lot of sugar and butter.” I decided not to mess with it and made it as directed. We didn’t do the marshmallows or frosting, and were both moaning, it was so rich. I think next time I would cut back on the butter and maybe add some milk. Do you think you could cut down the sugar without too much problem? I did really like the chocolate chips in it- yum!

Stacia says:

Kate-is there suppose to be vanilla in the frosting or no?? Getting ready to start baking these!

Alyson says:

Making these today! So excited!! I’ll be in chocolate heaven in a few hours :)

Allison says:

I made these last night for a cook out and there wasn’t a single one left. They were so yummy!

Kristin Redekop says:

You had me at “Tim Riggins” mmmmm! :)

Catherine says:

Oh my! These must be made!

merium says:

I’ve never seen flat marshmallows or FNL for some reason~CLEARLY, I’m missing out! *running off to video store to pick-up season 1*

Grace says:

I actually have this recipe from a Reader’s Digest from a few years back. They called it “Gotta Have ‘Em Brownies.” They were right. :)

Suzanne says:

These were insanely delicious and that frosting was incredible. This recipe is a keeper all around. Thanks!

Anne says:

I had no idea who Tim Riggins was. And now that I know, I’ll take one of each – Tim and one of your brownies. Both look delicious!

Mary says:

My mom has been making these since I was a kid. They are the best!

Lauren says:

FABULOUS! I just made these tonight. Moist. Fudgey. Chocolaty. Awesome! I cried when FNL ended, it was amazing just like these brownies. Thanks for the Tim Riggins brownies!

Jesse says:

I made these today, and they did not turn out like the picture. My brownies were much higher around the edges than the middle so the marshmallow fell to the middle. It was a gooey mess. What did I do wrong?

Karla says:

I made these the other night with my boys and they were how shall I say it, delish!!!

I couldn’t wait for them to cool off completely before adding the frosting, so the warm marshmallows kind of mixed with the chocolate frosting, which was a-ok. We had them right after a very well balanced dinner and they were divine. They were still a smidge warm and ooey gooey. They taste the very best when you get all 3 key parts in one bite. When they are still warm it makes it much harder to eat and cut, but they taste so good. The next day they tasted just as good. Thanks for this.

Diana says:

I just LOVE your site and cookbook. I guess I go on and on about it to my family too, because my 10 year old started a blog this summer and she wanted to make something from your site. She made these brownies (with a little help form me) and they turned out AMAZING! http://busyizzy-busyizzy.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for another great recipe.

Casy says:

Those look amazing! and ohhh Tim Riggins!!

Grace says:

Well, I made this and it turned out delicious. The only downside was that the brownie was kinda dry, which is a brownie no-no in my book. My oven does cook a little hot, I baked them for 35 minutes and they were completely done, but do you have any hints for keeping them more moist? Thanks!

Yeah, they definitely shouldn’t be dry at ALL. Take a look at my brownies before I frosted them and you’ll see, like, 52 holes from checking my brownies, haha! This is what makes baking so tricky–there are just so many variables, you know? Next time, I’d start checking around 25 minutes to see how they’re coming along.

Chely says:

So you had me at the part where sticking nuts in brownies is a total abomination! But then I kept reading and my mouth is now watering wanting these brownies! I just heard about your blog from a friends facebook and had to check it out! I think you will be a great life saver from getting away from the same ol’ same ol’ every day food I make! Thanks!

Stacey says:

I totally laughed at the breakfast of champions thing. I would NEVER do that I thought blithely. Next morning, I made yucky experimental apple pancakes, and that pan of mud brownies were what saved me. Okay, I did drink milk instead. Thank goodness I halved the recipe and made a 9×9 only. Just a side note. Don’t get to anxious for your marshmallows to melt and turn on the broiler. 6 inches of smoking, charred marshies is NOT worth it! I had to scape it off and start over. Which took WAY longer in the end.

Michelle S. says:

Yummy Brownies + Yummy Tim Riggins…another reason to smile!

Jeni says:

Sign me up for your breakfast of champions! That makes my eggs looks lame;)

Jan Jewell says:

I shall call them “Derek Jeter” brownies!

Janelle says:

Two things: 1) I’m realizing that I am totally missing out by not having watched FNL and that I finally have to admit to my cousin that I am giving in and will be watching season 1 tonight. 2) You’re saying my weak attempt at losing my baby weight (I’m still clinging to the fact my baby is ONLY six months old and thus, my lame excuse for still looking like I’m pregnant) will have to be put on hold AGAIN because these will be in my belly tonight. Thank you for my AHA moment of the day.
    P.S. For some reason, when I tried to print the brownies itself, no ready-made-Tim-Riggins-sinful brownie popped out of my printer. You need to get on that ASAP! ;p

First of all. Hi! I’m so glad to see you over here! Now, yes, you are totally missing out and are having the same realization that I did and it will change your life. Also, I have lots of weak attempts at “baby” weight loss that I blame on Tim Riggins. Only my baby is 4. Finally, we’ve got our web designer working on getting a Tim Riggins to pop out of the printer, and I’m hoping we can get a Coach Taylor version as well. :)

Hi! Love your blog, love your photos, love your recipes.

My brownies also turned out quite dry. The recipe says to bake them for 40-50 minutes but “a little less” if using a metal pan…I set my timer for 35 minutes thinking that this was “a little less,” and am not happy with the results. Advice to another poster with dry brownies is to start checking them at 25 minutes? That’s half the total recommended time and goes beyond a “variable.” I would adjust the recipe to say to start checking the brownies at 25 minutes – always better to be specific. I bake all the time (and am fairly good at it) but would never start checking for doneness that early the first time through on a recipe.

They’re still edible, certainly, but melikes a fudgier brownie. The frosting recipe is a keeper for lots of other purposes – proportions are perfect and it was so quick.

I started checking mine at 30 minutes and they were literally still liquid. It’s truly impossible for me to account for every different baking situation, but I’m very sorry yours came out dry.

Kit says:

Quick question, how do you store these? I can’t wait to try them.

Amy says:

Bless your heart! I found this recipe on a Friday Night Lights blog. You win. These will forever be a part of my kitchen as the Tim Riggins brownies. We should do a whole line of brownies for the boys. Jason Street? Matt Saracen? Smash? Vince? Tinker? Luke? Oh shoot… now I’m thinking I’ll just make up a whole FNL menu! :)

Oh. My. Gosh. We must create an entire FNL menu. Also, I checked out your website and there are not words to describe the jealousy I have for the signed picture of four of my favorite characters from that show. Kind of like Harry Potter, I can’t talk about Matt Saracen without crying.

shay says:

yikes are this amazing or what! i am so glad i had ALL of the ingredients in my cupboards…oh and i just had to announce the wow factor to my facebook friends! thanks for the yummy treat! they were great!

Shannon says:

No WAY!!! I just tried to make smores cupcakes (which the graham crust ruined too!) but this is what I really wanted all along. Thank you thank you for the deliciousness! I can’t wait to make them.

Erin says:

This inspired me to make brownies from scratch for the first time ever, and now I’m a believer. These were ah-mazing! And yes I ate them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for about 3 days straight =)

Melanie Johnson says:

I can’t wait to try these! I adore how Tim Riggins is ALWAYS referred to as Tim Riggins…not Tim, not Riggins…Tim Riggins.

Sarah says:

This will be my first recipe from your site… so excited. Making two batches – one for a potluck and one for my hubby to bring into work. The brownie rose up quite a bit. With the marshmallows it almost is the height of the pan. Waiting for them to cool so we can frost them. Trying to hold off from picking off a couple of the toasted marshmallows while waiting… yum! :)

betsy says:

I’m not a huge fan of sweet stuff, as I much prefer salty and crunchy but OH MY these brownies – for their name alone – grabbed my attention! I can TOTALLY support the Tim Riggins theory!

Sharr says:

I am smack in the middle of making these right now and oh. My. The smell alone just makes me want to dive in hands first and lick it right up!! Yum!!!! Can’t wait to taste them for real!!!

kate says:

I made these this weekend (okay, I kinda cheated because I was in a hurry and used a box brownie mix) with some homade vanila ice cream and they were Fab! However, being Tim Riggin brownies how could they not?! Thanks for sharing.

Natalie says:

I bawled my eyes out, too! I feel like the characters HAVE to be real…If Dillon were a real town, you can bet money we’d be checkin out the scene. I was SO sad when it ended. And I love Timmy.

Oh. My. Goodness. These brownies look AMAZING!! However, this post has also made me so very sad, because I currently have no oven to bake in. We are at the tail end of a kitchen remodel, and our oven isn’t hooked up yet **sadface** I am also pregnant, and now craving some gooey, fudgey, brownie deliciousness, and have no way to make that happen. Note to pregnant self- stop perusing food blogs- they only lead to cravings and no good can come from that! :) Seriously though- once our oven is hooked up, these brownies are the first thing I’m making!!

Emily S says:

These are amazing! I’m looking for excuses to make them now . . . The brownie recipe itself is good, without all of the other stuff, if you’re just looking for a brownie recipe. I love all of the other stuff, too, though. I didn’t have chocolate chips one time, and it was still fantastic. Leaving out those might help those who might think they’re too chocolatey. I only had half the amount of marshmallows once, and I might have actually preferred it. Both are good. And ladies, never worry about an ugly corner . . . that’s your excuse to eat some right away.

Sam says:

These are awesome. Verrry rich though, so have some milk on hand! Did you know a similar recipie is actually on the back of those flat marshmallows? It uses boxed brownines and no icing, suggests drizzling melted chocolate on top instead. But icing is waaaaay better!!! They are a pain to cut, so much so that one of my brownies looked very ugly, so I just HAD to eat that one and save the rest for coworkers. hahaha. Love your stuff, I keep begging for the cookbook at my library but I don’t think it’s coming. :(

Carla says:

I was searching you website for desserts with Dolce de Leche, because we had some sitting around and my husband loves it!! Well I found your recipe to make it but no recipes with dolce de leche as an ingredient…..But then I saw this recipe and decided to get creative! I used the brownie recipe from this post and poured 1/2 into my pan and then dropped the dolce de leche in spoonfuls and marbled it, poured the rest of the brownie batter and then did more dolce de leche marbled on top!!! They were delicious!!!!! Thanks for having an amazing brownie recipe on here for me to use, and if you are ever up for some chocolatey, carmely chewy amazingness, you could give it a shot too!!!

Oh my I just got to make me some of these!! I seriously love your sense of humor. Not only do you have great recipes but your blog is so fun to read!!!

Jackie says:

I’m trying these with one of the kids I nanny for tomorrow. One of the perks of my job is that I get to try out all your awesome recipes. We had your coconut chicken today and they loved it.

I’m tempted to use a mix for the base, as my kitchen assistant is nine and a half, but your recipe doesn’t seem too complicated, maybe we’ll go for it.

Jackie says:

Success! I went for broke, and we made them from scratch. Except now we’re all obese, oops.

I love the brownie recipe base, but in your mixing instructions you state to mix for 3 minutes which turns them into a cake-like brownie. I mixed just until all the ingredients were combined and had much better success.

Shelli Chambers says:

Ok, so Missippi Mud and Tim Riggins are pretty much my two favorite things on earth. These will help with the pain of no more “new” Tim Riggins.

Wow, wow, wow!!! So I found these brownies on pinterest while looking up Tim Riggins! :) I just had to come find out what they are all about! They look A-Mazing! :)
    ~Lisa

Just curious, do they eat these in Friday Night Lights? (and if so, when?) I have a friend who has recently gotten me obsessed with the show but I’m not far in yet and I am thinking of making these for her!

No, I just think they’re kind of like Tim Riggins–so bad for you, and yet so good, haha!

P.S. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s recipe! It may or may not (okay, may) involve Mr. Riggins all over again.

Linsee says:

You had me at Tim Riggins

Jennifer Kirby says:

I just found your blog today and as I was scrolling thru the recipe index, I would have bypassed this one because I already have something similar, but I stopped dead in my tracks at the most beloved name in all of television history: TIM.RIGGINS! Attach his name to all of your recipes and I’ll try them all:) Good Lord, my day has just been made! Back to business though, your recipes sound delish – thanks for the inspiration!

One Bite Delite says:

These look delish and now am wondering if instead of making cinnamon rolls in the morning I should make these! Oh the decisions in life we are forced to make.

Baking time does have alot of variables,and also ones preference as to their choice of brownie consistently can play a big role too – in my opinion the pic of the brownie look like they baked longer then I would have liked them baked. The way I tell when my brownies are done are when the top is shiny and almost a pudding feel to the touch. I then take them out of the oven and let them finish their job on a cooling rack.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, I can’t wait to share with my family!

Hildie says:

You probably can’t get here in time but tonight in Austin is a New Years Eve party that is hosted by Taylor Kitsch (Tim Riggins) and Connie Britton (Tami Taylor). $150 per ticket! It’s for charity.

Angie Henderson says:

This post was a year ago, but I just found it today when I desperately needed a brownie and knew you girls would come through for me. Now I have to try all of your brownie recipes! I just wanted to add a tip for cutting brownies, which never fails me.

Use a plastic knife! The batter, or gooey center, will stick to a metal knife but not plastic. I keep plastic knives for just that reason.

While I’ve never met a brownie I didn’t like, all the way to the fiber One brownies that are made of sawdust, I’m still hunting for the PERFECT recipe. Off to the kitchen…

[…] Mississippi Mud Brownies […]