When Sara and I celebrated our first blogiversary back in 2009, we did this fun little moment where we each shared a few of our favorite recipes from the other person. It totally felt like one of those tribute moments during the Oscars or something (I may have some delusions of grandeur here…)
Anyway, since we’re on this whole “favorite things” kick this week, we figured we’d do it again! I’m sharing 6 of my favorite Sara recipes through the ages and she’s sharing 6 of mine! Whether they’re old favorites of yours or you’re seeing them for the first time, we hope you’ll give them the very serious consideration they deserve. The Academy thanks you. :)
1. Grilled Pizza. I kept thinking, “Would it be super overly dramatic for me to say that this tutorial changed my life?” And then Sara sent me her favorites and said one of my tutorials changed her life, so I went big. I’m not lying. This is the best pizza you will EVER eat. I always thought that no matter how good of a cook I was, there were some restaurant favorites I’d never be able to replicate at home, but this recipe totally proved me wrong.
2. Cowboy Quesadillas. I’m kind of ashamed to admit that I had never made these until just recently. It was dinnertime and I had nothing planned and I had everything in the pantry to make these. Um, wowsers. I loved everything about them (least of all the fact that they took me about 10 minutes to whip up). Such great flavors, and I actually replaced the rice with a little leftover quinoa (because I didn’t want to cook up a whole batch of rice), and no one was the wiser that they were getting awesome whole grains along with their ranch and BBQ sauce.
3. Perfect Cupcake Frosting and Filling. Another life-changer here. Seriously, if you want to make friends, just fill an icing bag with this stuff and dollop it onto the fingers of passers-by. Especially if you add some almond extract.
4. Bruschetta. I could literally eat this up with a spoon and completely forgo the bread. And that’s saying a lot from the girl who’s fallen off the South Beach wagon more times than I can count.
5. Mango Quinoa Salad. I never knew how much I loved quinoa until I tried this salad. The fact that it’s virtually guilt-free is a major plus, especially if I’ve been into that frosting…
6. Easy Pumpkin Crumble. Yeah, yeah, I know it’s July and that we’re not even close to the neighborhood of pumpkin season. But sometimes I turn the air conditioner as low as I can without blowing a fuse and bake up one of these and pretend that I’m not living in a freaking jungle.
1. Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins: I have literally spent years trying to perfect the perfect blueberry muffin. In fact, I spent an entire week a few months back making batch after batch trying to come up with the perfect muffin for our next cook book. Then I open the blog one day and bam! Kate has the perfect blueberry muffin recipe. Would have been awesome to know that, haha. Honestly though, after all of my trial and error, it was so amazing to bite into one of these. There are a million and one recipes out there for Blueberry Muffins and this is the best I’ve ever had, hands down.
2. Mediterranean Egg Scramble: I think this is one of the hidden little gems on our site that doesn’t get much attention but totally deserves it. The combination of flavors and textures is unexpected to what you’re used to eating in an egg dish and completely perfect. If you haven’t tried this yet, give it a shot. It’s become one of my favorite meals!
3. How To: Cut a Watermelon: This is saying a lot seeing as I don’t like watermelon (gasp!) But seriously, it changed my life. I tried it the first time and literally bought a watermelon on my next trip to the store just so I could cut it like this again and laugh like a giddy school girl when I saw all of the perfect little cubes fall out. Brilliant!
4. World’s Best Dinner Rolls: I snickered to myself when I saw Kate had titled one of her recipes “World’s Best,” something I never do because I’m sure somewhere in the world no matter how good my recipe is, there’s something someone would consider to be better. Then I made them. And I still thought it was a silly name. Then I gave them a second chance following the directions better and adding waaaay less flour than I did the first time (as in, I actually followed the directions this time) and who knew? They really ARE the world’s best rolls. My husband agreed they were the best rolls he’d ever eaten. Forgive me Kate, for doubting!
5.Chicken and Veggie Skewers: This has become one of my favorite summer meals. The homemade dressing/marinade is better than anything you can buy in any bottle. I absolutely love the bright colors of the veggies and the bright flavor of the lemon and herbs.
6. Spaghetti and Meatballs: Such a simple concept, it might get overlooked. Spaghetti and Meatballs are all the same, right? Wrong! Make this your go-to if you haven’t already. Take a venture on the wild side if you’ve never made your own sauce. It tastes like something fresh out of an Italian restaurant. It will warm both your tummy and your soul.
We hope y’all check out some of these old (and new…shhhh!) favorites!!