Posted in Cookies, Kate

You know those people who stop eating and lose weight and when they’re stressed? The kind of people I kind of hate? Like my husband? I am not one of those people. I wish I were. But when I get stressed, chocolate, Vanilla Diet Cokes from Sonic, bread, and pasta suddenly become my best friends (well, maybe more “best” than they already were).

When Sara and I were traveling a lot earlier this year, it was stressful. Definitely good stressful, kind of like moving or house renovating–fun and exciting, but still…there were a lot of frayed nerves, especially at first. Our first book publicity trip in late January/early February was particularly stressful (there was a small rental car crash, lots of weather delays, and it just felt like there was not enough time to get everything done). One of the highlights of our trip, a little shelter from the craziness, was the night we had dinner with Maria and Josh from Two Peas and Their Pod. Their home was gorgeous and peaceful,  the food was delicious, and even though it was the first time we met them in person, it felt like we were just meeting up with old friends and picking up where we left off.

The dinner was fabulous, but really, I was mostly in it for the cookies. The Pioneer Woman even calls Maria the Cookie Queen and she totally is. Being the stress eater that I am, I took care of about 4 of these bad boys and thought they were possibly the best chocolate cookies I’d ever eaten.

As we renovate our kitchen (which has now kind of turned into renovating the dining room, which kind of pushed my husband over the edge), I’m having lots of the same good stress feelings–it’s fun and exciting and expensive and terrifying and messy and we are eating a lot of cold cereal and peanut butter sandwiches right now. So what better to remedy my stress? Those magical Chocolate Nutella Cookies that got me through the first time.

You’ll need flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, real butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, hazelnut extract (if you have it/can find it–I couldn’t, so I just used a little more vanilla), Nutella, and milk. Surprisingly, you don’t need eggs. I found this shocking. I’d never made cookies without eggs before. My friend Jeni, whose kitchen I borrowed to make these cookies, witnessed firsthand an angst-ridden Kate wondering aloud if there was a mistake in the recipe, if I should tweet Maria and ask if there should be eggs, if I was going to fail at Nutella cookies. I decided to have faith and follow the recipe as directed and I was not disappointed–they were just as magically delicious, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, as they were when we ate them at her house.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Set the mixture aside. In a large bowl, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until smooth. Add the extracts and beat for another 30 seconds or so. Add the Nutella and beat until smooth.

With the mixer running, add half of the flour mixture and mix until combined. Add the milk, mixing until combined completely, then add the remaining flour mixture and mix completely. Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 15 minutes (and as long as 2-3 days).

When you’re ready to bake the cookies, line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and place them on the lined cookie sheet, allowing about 2″ between the dough balls.

Lightly press the dough balls with the bottom of a drinking glass and then bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are crackly on top and soft, but starting to set. Remove from the oven and allow them to stand for about 5 minutes and then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.

Now…I’ve gotta say…these are really yummy when they’re warm–they’re very brownie-ish. But when they’re completely cool, they are divine. The texture is unbelievable. Add in a glass of milk and you’ve got the perfect afternoon snack. Or sneaky breakfast before your kids wake up. Not that I know from firsthand experience.

mmmm, perfect combination! I would so eat these first thing in the morning, sounds like a balanced breakfast to me!
    (I keep trying to convince myself and my husband that Nutella is a health food :) )

I’ve printed the recipe and checked my supply of nutella.
    Guess what I will be eating tomorrow! I can’t wait!

These sound perfect. Love them!

Katie says:

Looks great! But where do you add the Nutella? I don’t see where it is used in the recipe. Also, what is Dutch-process cocoa powder? Thanks for your help, can’t wait to try these this weekend!

I fixed it! :) Just add it in after the extracts. It’s early and I’m running on, like, 4 hours of sleep and can’t pull from my brain the difference between regular and Dutch process cocoa powder, but I DO know that if you use regular cocoa powder, they’ll come out delicious (because that is what I did.)

Unlike Kate, *I* got the sufficient amount of sleep to enable me to describe cocoa powder facts early in the morning ;) Dutch process has a little bit milder flavor. It’s treated with an alkalizing agent, so it has a neutral pH while regular cocoa powder is acidic. You can often interchange the two (I actually do all the time, with decent results) but because of the different pH levels, it can cause problems with the leavening agents used in a recipe because those agents are usually balanced with the pH of the specific cocoa called for in the recipe. Baking soda (which is alkaline) is generally used with regular cocoa powder to neutralize its acidity and baking powder is usually used with Dutch process because both ingredients are pretty neutral already. That being said, I interchange the two quite often because I never seem to have both on hand when I need them and I’ve honestly never had a recipe *not* turn out because I used one or the other.

• Katie says:

Thanks Kate and Sara! I can’t wait to try these. Enjoy your weekend and get some rest. Greetings from Holland…

• Teresa says:

So, I have two different kinds of Cocoa. Regular or dark chocolate with dutch chocolate? Which would you go for?

nicole says:

did you just use light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar. as a pregnant woman who is 4cm and 80% effaced at 37 weeks, i NEED to know!

Wow, these look like the perfect cookie! Sounds like you had a great time with Josh and Maria. Food blogger friends are the best! :)

Elizabeth says:

Whenever I see a cookie recipe that calls for rolling then into balls, I think, ‘freezer!’ These look perfect for prepping into a freezer dessert!

Kristen says:

That is exactly what I just did. Baked half of the recipe and rolled the other halfto freeze for later.

Carrie Rollins says:

My Day Care Kids and I are off to make these right now! (I knew there had to be a better thing to do with this gigantic jar of Nutella from Costco besides smear it in a banana!) These look totally D-lish!

Patti says:

Kate, could you taste any difference between Maria’s version of this cookie and yours due to the different extract? Like you, I have no hazelnut extract sitting around. But unlike you, I have Gygi’s not too far away and I’ll bet they sell it. Is it worth the trip?

Patti-kins–hers were a hint more hazelnutty. I’m not a huge hazelnut fan, so I loved her cookies, but I didn’t really miss it.

• Melissa says:

Ah, yeah my hubby and I just made these and we didn’t have hazelnut extract, either. The dough is currently chilling in the fridge, but we had to taste it (obviously, who can resist cookie dough???) and we could hardly taste the hazelnut from the Nutella. Hoping that it comes out more once they’re baked. Either way, I know they’re going to be delicious….yum, thanks so much for the recipe!!!

• Patti says:

I’m not a huge hazelnut fan either, so I’m glad you aren’t making me go to Gygi’s to get some, because that store sucks $100 out of my pocket every time I go in.
        Love, Patti-kins :)

Micah says:

YUMMMMM!! these look so dang good! can’t wait to make them in the next week or so:) thank you!

Carrie says:

Wow, I didn’t know exactly what I was going to do with myself today, but now I do. I will be baking these yummy looking cookies! :)

Liz says:

Wow, those look delicious!

Leslie says:

Where did you find that glass milk container? I have been looking all over for those!!

ButterYum says:

I bet these are really hard to stop nibbling on once you start. I better stay away for now, but I’m going to save the recipe!!

ButterYum

Brittany says:

What temp do you bake them at? Or am I just blind and can’t find it on here? It has been one of those days.

Megan says:

OHMYGOSH! I now know what I am making for a treat tonight! Thanks!!

Maria says:

So glad you liked the cookies! You are welcome at our house anytime! Come visit us soon-I promise I will bake cookies for you:)

Jessica says:

I make a cookie very similar but I sandwich them with nutella in the middle … Mmmmm :)

Where were you a week ago?! I “needed” a nutella cookie recipe to bring to a party and I went with a no-bake version and was pretty disappointed in the results. I ended up smearing some nutella on the top of them because you couldn’t really taste it in the cookie. Is this pretty nutella-y or is it just a good chocolate cookie? Either way I’ll still make it!

Jennifer, they definitely taste like nutella, but it’s not overwhelming; it’s a nice mild flavor. If you really want them to taste like Nutella I recommend using the hazelnut extract because that will help.

Jenna says:

Thanks so much for posting this recipe. I am looking forward to trying them for my daughter, who is allergic to eggs and peanuts, but can have Nutella. We’ll have to go make a batch together now!

If I wasn’t preparing for Hurricane Irene, I’d be making these bad boys! As it is, I’m making “trash” aka, Muddy Buddy Mix…..

These are definitely on the menu for next week though – YUM!

Liz says:

These sound wonderful! I can’t wait to make them. And for anyone who wants to know…Orson Gygi and Amazon both have hazelnut extract.

Debbie Lewis says:

Maybe I should make these quickly before Irene gets here–only a few hours to go! They wouldn’t spoil when the electricity goes out!

Anna Jenkins says:

Are you kidding me? I am so going to make these. I am a Nutella addict. Just give me the jar and a spoon. Please.

Sarah says:

I am sooo making these! I LOVE NUTELLA! And, I love hazelnuts, and chocolate. I am totally a stress eater too. These look delicious! :) Thank you!

Katia says:

Mmm… sounds delicious. I am a big stress eater too and unfortunately for me my job is super stressful ALL the time. I always have a snack of some sort at my desk.. lol

Nicole Peck says:

Oh my gosh. I have to make these. I LOVE Nutella!

Theresa says:

They were so easy to make; my daughter loved eating the dough (which is eggless so no worries there). They taste like fudge. Rich chocolate with just a hint of nutty flavor. Enjoy!

RLR says:

I just bought our first jar of Nutella – and I’ve been wondering what to do with it! (Yes, first one. Daughter was nut-allergic until about a year ago, and it’s also seemed to be a pricey splurge – but our grocery recently had super-doubles, so I sprang for a jar!)

TaraLee says:

These look so nummy but my little girl is allergic to tree nuts, hence no hazelnuts without big Epipen drama.. Any other suggestions? Peanut butter just won’t work as well would it?

Jolynn Page says:

Ha ha… sneaky breakfast before your kids wake up? Sounds so much like me! These look delish!

Alison says:

Thank you so much! I will be baking these cookies this weekend :)

garysgirl says:

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I cannot wait to make these! I peruse Two Peas & Their Pod sometimes & I think I may have seen this recipe on there awhile back. There is another website I saw the other day that had nutella pinwheel cookies, but honestly, these look waaaayy better cuz they have…MORE CHOCOLATE! And more chocolate is ALWAYS better, right?! ;P Thanks for sharing this one with us, Kate! :)

Elise says:

Love the recipes from your site and often print them to add to my recipe binder! However, seeing a picture of the food always makes me want to make it. It there any way you gals can add a photo to the printed option of your recipes–pretty please?!?!?

Molly says:

Yum!! I’m exactly like you Kate. Stress = chocolate,soda,&bread! funny. Unfortunately for me, I’m fresh out of Nutella (darn stuff can’t seem to stay off a spoon and out of my mouth!) But definitely going to try these!!

Jill says:

You are renovating your kitchen! Can you tell us all about it?

Heather says:

I love your recipes but cannot get them to print on our MAC:( what am I doing wrong?

Melissa says:

Ooooh gosh just had a thought. Could you add espresso (even decaf espresso) to this to make a chocolate/coffee/hazelnut type cookie? If you can, would you just do half milk half espresso or how would that work?

Naomi D. says:

I actually made these a couple months ago after perusing Two Peas and Their Pod…love them! I was able to find some hazelnut extract at the bulk market where I buy all my spices and other baking needs. I also stumbled across some Kroger brand chunky hazelnut spread (not “Nutella”, but just as good), and the little hazelnut chunks definitely added to the awesomeness of the cookie. Not to mention, it was even more delicious licking off a spoon!!

Adrianne says:

I wonder how these would taste with the filling from your peanut butter cookie sandwiches? or (maybe) even better, the peanut butter cookies with nutella as a filling.

LeeAnn says:

I love these cookies! I found their blog a few months ago and make these over and over again!:)

Jenn says:

Do you think you could turn these into sandwich cookies with nutella spread in between?

Rebecca Barnhurst says:

I recently found your blog and have loved every recipe I’ve made so far! Thanks!

Jaimie says:

My husband & I can’t keep Nutella in the house for the obvious reason. I’m baking these right now before Irene hits up and we’ll have tons of cookies to eat with no power. While I was mixing the batter was very crumbly is this normal? Also, can I freeze these? If my batch turns out good I want to make them for a baby shower!

Becky says:

I made these last night… They were okay. I was a little hesitant because there’s 2/3c of cocoa to only one cup of sugar. I didn’t have hazelnut extra but I made them anyway. They were just not sweet enough for my taste. The texture was fine though. My hubby liked them. I think I’ll just stick to Nutella for my Nutella cravings :)

these look scrumptious! maybe even make cookie sandwiches with nutella in between!

Geny says:

I made these cookies and wondered the same thing about the eggs, but they are really one of the best chocolate cookies ever!!

Rebecca says:

WHAT…Sonic has vanilla DIET COKE! How am I just learning about this now. H-E-L-L-O happy hour!

Pam says:

Anything that has Nutella is good with me. I never buy it cause we put it on everything, absolutely everything, and it is not exactly health food despite its protein content. These cookies sound heavenly.

I made these last night for a dinner party and slapped some hard vanilla ice cream in the middle and made ice cream sandwiches. Sooooo good! One of my guests said that her husband detests Nutella but he continued to ask for more cookies. ;)

Laural says:

Oh. Wow. These recipe looks like it was designed especially for my weaknesses. I really, really, really want to make these, but I’ve banned Nutella from our house because I can eat the whole jarful in a week, and have. Maybe, just this once…
    I LOVE your recipes ladies. They make up the majority of my weekly dinner menu, and I almost always come here when I’m looking for something particularly delish to bring to a party. Thank you for your dedication, and humor. You’re a joy!

Sunny says:

Amazingly delicious!! I’ve actually only tasted the batter so far because the are baking in the oven as I write!! Thanks for sharing with the women of the world the best recipes!!! I yet to make something my husband doesn’t like:)

Mahalo,
    Sunny

Ellen says:

always thought there should be a cookie or something made out of it…
    wow, cant wait to try this one!

Harmony Mitchell says:

Made these last night and they were delicious! I also added some white chocolate chips to half the batch and thought it was a yummy addition. :)

Roberta says:

I rolled them in powdered sugar before baking – YUM!

Brandi says:

Hmm well the dough is delish! But I’m wondering if I messed something up, I had a hard time rolling them, they were very very sticky, maybe didn’t chill long enough? Any ideas? They are in the oven so we’ll see how they turn out!

Cecily says:

I was so excited to try these! I made them Saturday night, but was a little disappointed. Maybe I need to alter the recipe since I live in the hot, humid dustbowl that is Texas. The cookies were really crumbly and not sweet. The texture was nothing like the pics above.

I sprinkled them with sanding sugar for the 2nd and 3rd batches and it helped, but they’re definitely not a sweet cookie–and the Nutella is very mild. The hazelnut extract would have helped.

Hmmmm…I’m not sure what happened because I’m in Louisiana, so we’re in a similar situation. They definitely should have been sweet and not crumbly at all–I’m not sure what to tell you, but I’m sorry they didn’t work! :(

ashley says:

Could I double this recipe? I want to take these to YW and to neighbors!

Erin Poolson says:

OH MY GOODNESS!
    These sound AMAZING!
    As a stressed college student I am totally about shoving anything yummy into my face when I can get it! (which isn’t often with the cafeteria food I get)
    I can’t wait to send my mom this recipe.

Brianna says:

Delicious! I mixed up the dough last night and just baked them tonight. They were a bit ooey gooey rolling them into balls. I’m wondering if it’s because I used skim milk. What milk did you use? Either way, they still turned out amazing, and I didn’t mind licking my hands clean afterwards ;)
    I’m waiting to try them once they’ve cooled down. The one that was sacrificed right out of the oven was very brownie-like, and I loved that! Thanks for sharing this wonderful keeper recipe!

ashley says:

I feel like a famous person responded to my question! Thank you for doing that for me! I doubled it and it worked out just fine! Sooo I am looking for a really good recipe to take to a friend who has a son who is allergic to nuts and dairy! Do you know of any that might work?

Julianne says:

So, I decided to experiment and make the recipe with one egg. Results: had to add an additional 1/3 to 1/2 cup of flour. The cookies baked up puffy and smooth, soft and chewy – they didn’t have the crispy exterior with cracks on the tops. Also added 1/2 tsp almond extract as none of the stores in my area carry Hazelnut extract. Next time, I will NOT use almond extract or the egg! But they’re still tastey little treats w/ the alterations. Hazelnut flavoring is next on my on-line shopping list: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/creamy-hazelnut-flavor-1-oz

Joanna WIlkins says:

These are even more delcious if you sprinkle them with a little sea salt before baking. Then they’re even more delcious if you spread Nutella between two of them for a yummy sandwich!

Meg says:

These went flat. Maybe I should try more flour, but I don’t know if I want to waste anymore of my yummy nutella. These just didn’t do it for me. Nutella is much better eaten plain, in my opinion. I couldn’t find hazelnut extract…orson gygi has a hazelnut oil so I used that. Even if I’d left that out, I just didn’t care for the flatness and texture of these cookies….I like my cookies thick and chewy. I wish I had read the comments before I made them because it seems other people feel the same way. Also, I don’t think you should tell people to preheat the oven if the cookies have to chill in the fridge. Maybe put the preheat the oven part when you out the dough in the fridge….but that’s me, not wanting my oven on more than it has to be!

They shouldn’t have come out flat–it sounds like something may have been off. I’m sorry they didn’t work out for you!

• Coni says:

they came out flat for me too! looked perfect on the oven but as soon as i took them out they went flat :( it was so sad… they’re still yummy though :)

teri says:

just made these. they are definitely a big hit with the family. i did not have hazelnut extract, must find that and try again. we really like the hazelnutty flavor. you can taste the nutella in these! just curious to see the difference between only vanilla extract and using both

thanks for the great recipe
    teri

Marielle, Sweden says:

I made theese and they were wonderful! I’m making them again now and this time I’m adding white chocolate drops aswell, I’m guessing that will make it perfect!

Thanks for yet another wonderful recipe!

Nancy V says:

My roomies love these cookies, especially with peanut butter sandwiched between two cookies. I had a little trouble with the baking though. I left the batter in the fidge for over a day and they were still rather sticky. I wasn’t able to press the balls down with a glass. I ended up wetting my fingers a little to prevent the batter from sticking to my fingers. Did u do anything special to prevent the stickiness or did u not have any problems with it?

I LOVED these. They came out just like in your pictues, good soft and chewy texture. I had the thought to add choc. chips but decided against it–good thing because these cookies are verrrry chocolatey all on their own. I’ve passed this recipe on to a lot of people and shared some I made and they are a hit! If you want a super soft, super chocolatey cookie make these!

Katie Jo says:

I made these yesterday-and they were delicious and looked just like the picture! I did make them with light brown sugar, and only vanilla extract. I couldn’t taste the hazlenut-but that’s ok with me. They were still awesome! VERY chocolatey though!! Chocolate lovers will love these!!

Stacie says:

I was so excited to make these, as I love nutella! I am sad to say that they aren’t my favorite. I am a cookie lover, and these just didn’t do it for me. A couple things- they didn’t taste like nutella to me! (I used double vanilla since I didn’t have hazelnut extract, so maybe that contributed). Also, it was basically impossible to press these down with a cup- as they stuck to the cup. After pressing them down lightly with my fingers, I realized that I shouldn’t have pressed them at all. They didn’t get the lovely crinkle tops like yours. So I made one that wasn’t pressed, and it looked much better.

Soozi says:

i know what I’ll be bringing back to the dorm after fall break :)

shaffy says:

i made a third (yes, third!) double-batch two days ago… and upped the nutella. because i am crazy like that. I WENT TO NUTELLA HEAVEN IN A BLINK OF AN EYE. because these babies now taste like nutella cakes in mini sizes. perfect with coffee… yes! ever-so-slightly firm on the outside, but soft and fluffy on the inside, just like cake. *faint!!* even my fussy 5yo son is addicted to them now. let me repeat this: there is no such thing as too much nutella!!!

ps- my cookie dough became a little soft, even after i chilled it, so i chucked it into a frosting bag with a Wilton 1M tip, and piped florette cookies. worked like a charm!

Jayma says:

All I can say is “OH MY!!!” Just pulled the first batch out of the oven and they are a girl’s chocolate dream come true! Off to sneak another cookie before my girls come begging for one. :)

Autumn says:

Taste is great, but pressing them down makes them too flat

Angela says:

How could I make them sweeter? I think I was anticipating more of a sweet, Nutella flavor. Could I just lessen the amount of cocoa because I felt like they tasted like they had too much cocoa and not enough sugar. I thought the consistency was great though.

Gail Killian says:

Made these yesterday, all the kids (and some friends) and today not one left, they really are a perfect cookie!

Taylor says:

I don’t have milk, cream, evaporated milk, or half n’ half. HELP!

Julene says:

I’ve made these twice–yummy! Because I live at a pretty high elevation (close to 5000 ft.) I have to adjust the recipes of lots of the things I bake to get them to turn out right. I made these cookies the second time with 1 1/3 cups of flour (just a bit more than the 1 1/4 called for in the recipe) and they turned out better for me. Last time they were pretty flat. Hope that helps any of you who live at high elevations too. If you have better tips, let me know–I’m definitely not an expert at high-elevation adjustments!

Jade says:

I just baked these and they are seriously delicious. I didn’t get the crackly tops but still lovely. Thank you for the recipe.

Lauren says:

These are amazing!! How many is too many to eat in one day?!!

Torri says:

So I have been searching through two different states, 6 different stores now…I can’t find hazelnut extract anywhere! Where do you get it? I tried it with vanilla but was disappointed with the lack of hazelnut flavor since I LOVE hazelnut and chocolate!

Diamond says:

I made adjustments to the recipe to make it gluten free, then we made our own chocolate-hazelnut spread to use. I won 2nd place at the fair with them. yum.

Ashley Baldini says:

They are perfect!!!! My husband thinks I am amazing! :-)

Liz says:

Made a couple of batches over the weekend. Quick to make and so yummy. They also freeze well.

Christine says:

So tasty! I made mine with Special Dark cocoa powder and my cookies are very very very dark brown :) But super delicious, lovely with coffee or milk. I also ran out of parchment so used my silpat which worked perfectly, I just added a couple of minutes of cook time. I will definitely be making these again!

Jackie says:

Tasted awesome with cream cheese cookies: http://www.food52.com/recipes/14625_cream_cheese_cookies

Melissa says:

These are delicious and have an amazing texture. If you skip on the hazelnut extract they don’t taste all that Nutella-y, but they still make awesome chocolate cookies! Thanks for the amazing recipe!

Ike says:

I’m a nut lover. Any suggestions for adding nuts? Size, variety, recipe adjustments?

Kevin says:

I made them and they turned out perfect…hints- I used vanilla-butter-nut extract in addition to vanilla extract. It was on the shelf at Publix. 2. When pressing them down, a piece of parchment paper between the glass and the dough prevents sticking. And 3, for a real treat make some into sandwich cookies with peanut butter in the middle.

jann says:

just curious, is 325 in degrees celcius or fahreinheit?

jasmine thawesee says:

I have Ghiradelli Unsweetened cocoa powder. Will that work?

Debra Carroll says:

These are AMAZING!! I used crunchy store-brand nutella – since that’s what I accidentally picked up at the store. I couldn’t wait for them to cool all the way, though…they looked too good!!!

ChiChi16 says:

Just made these and was a little nervous about the lack of egg… But they are FANTASTIC! Really gorgeous and chewy! Thank you for the recipe, will definitely be making these again!

Bizzy says:

Thanks for this recipe. I just made it and blogged it and I am glad, I did.

Incorporating nutella into any cookie is never a bad idea.

julia says:

its not that tasteful but i tryed adding almonds it was a big improvement or add more nutella

Christine says:

These cookies were SOO good! We just used light brown sugar and 2 tsp of vanilla, no hazelnut and they turned out AMAZING :)
    thanks for the awesome recipe!

Ashley says:

this sounds awesome! can you give me an estimate of how many calories per cookie?

Nat says:

have made these cookies several times now and they are now a family favorite! i don’t eat eggs so this recipe is just an added bonus! the first time i made them i didn’t have hazelnut syrup, but my mom managed to find some in the fancy food/miscellaneous section in the back of TJ Maxx! i would also recommend using more of the syrup in the recipe because otherwise the hazelnut/nutella flavor is not very prominent.

Quenton says:

I just got done baking my last batch from this recipe, and I can honestly say I’ve never had such good cookies before! I had to use extra vanilla instead of hazelnut, but they still turned out wonderful! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!

Milana Bespalov says:

YUM!Sound so good.. Cant wait to bake them:)

Claire says:

I loved this recipe! It was delicious, though it only made 2 dozen when the recipe said 3 (my cookies weren’t that large).

Morgan says:

How long should I let the dough sit in the fridge?

Karina says:

Made these for an Italian summer camp…people could smell them baking from outside the kitchen and kept popping in, asking to try one. :) They taste crazy awesome and I’m sure the kids will go CRAZY for when they get them!

Christina says:

I tried to make these today and the dough never really solidified enough to be able to roll into balls. I think its an error on my part as I had to do the conversions from cups to grams and cups to mil and I think there was just a little too much milk.. but good news is they’re still tasty! They’re more flat on top and cake like on the inside but I’m ok with that! Nice recipe ladies!! Loving your work!

Carol says:

Have you tried rice flour instead of using wheat flour in the cookies? It is great and gluten free.

Hope says:

I just finished making the batter and I tasted it and I could just eat the batter all by itself its YUMMY!!! :D I used light brown sugar and it’s good!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!! It’s my new favorite.

Tiana says:

Hi!
    Fabulous recipe, I must say! Just wanted to know if I can use 1/2 cup white sugar instead of 1/2 cup dark brown sugar. It wouldn’t make a huge difference, would it?

Love your work! Thank you so much! :D

Ski says:

I just made these today, and they are delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe. It’s great that it’s so simple to make as well. Everything in the immediate vicinity of the oven smelled deliciously of Nutella. :)

Katie says:

I made these yesterday after finding a sad lack of all things sugary in the house. And WOW… My family dubbed them “Brownie Cookies”, and promptly ate the 3 dozen. :) I will be making a double batch today. (My excuse for so many cookies is that our family has 9 people in it… That’s a good excuse! Right?)

Emma says:

Thank you so much for putting this recipe on the website. I made these cookies just last night for company and everyone loved them. I never thought that nutella in a cookie would be good but I am not lying here. I think these are some of the best cookies that I have ever made from scratch.