When I was a kid, we always, always, always used Miracle Whip for everything–mayonnaise was something like Crest toothpaste or Pepsi that I had some vague notion of, but we were a strict, by-the-book Miracle Whip, Colgate, Coca-Cola family and I just figured mayonnaise and Miracle Whip were two different names for the same thing.

Well, one day when I was about 12, I was making a recipe that called for mayonnaise and we were out of Miracle Whip. I ran down to our neighbors’ house to borrow some some mayonnaise and it was like a light bulb went on, like the heavens opened, like a revelation. A salad dressing revelation. If I had to mark a moment when I realized that there were culinary worlds beyond what I grew up eating, that was it (and it happened with mayonnaise).

I’ve wanted to make homemade mayonnaise for a long time, but I am terrified of raw eggs (not in a The Ring kind of way, which made me sleep with the lights on for two weeks when I was 22), but salmonella has always just freaked me out. I’ve always wanted to try pasteurized eggs, but we’ve never lived in a place where they’re sold. I finally got a chance to try them (I tried Safest Choice) and I literally whipped up my own mayo in about 3 minutes. It was awesome.

I totally, totally know that not everyone has access to pasteurized eggs, so go check out this very thoughtful and thorough tutorial on Baking Bites. She makes a lot of well-reasoned arguments regarding this method of making raw and undercooked eggs safe and once I’m out of pasteurized eggs, I’m definitely going to try it.

For the homemade mayonnaise, you’ll need an egg yolk (check out this tutorial to see how to separate eggs), a little of your favorite mustard (unless it’s yellow mustard…if that’s the case, I recommend finding a new favorite mustard!), olive oil, canola oil, and some lemon juice. That’s going to form the mayonnaise base, and then I’m going to throw in some garlic and rosemary at the end for an unbelievable sandwich spread.

Place the egg yolk, mustard, and lemon juice in a medium bowl

and whisk until just combined. Combine the oils and arm yourself with a whisk (I actually tried this with a blender, and immersion blender, and by hand, just for the heck of it, and I actually think that aside from the semi-strenuous arm workout, by hand is the easiest and least messy). Whisk the egg yolk mixture and add a few drips of the oil mixture until combined, whisking vigorously the whole time. Add a few more drips, whisking until combined. Repeat, adding a little more oil each time. As it starts to thicken and come together, you can add the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking vigorously the whole time. After you’ve added all the oil, continue whisking for about 30-60 more seconds or until the mayonnaise is thickened. It won’t be as thick as commercial mayonnaise yet because a) it will continue to thicken with time and b) it’s a little warmer than room temperature.

Whisk in the salt and pepper and then add a little more seasoning to taste. This is your mayonnaise base and you can refrigerate it at this point and use it. However, I  recommend whisking in 2 small cloves of pressed garlic (about 1 1/2 teaspoons) and 1 teaspoon of chopped rosemary. Let it hang out for about an hour in the fridge and then you have seriously one of the most incredible sandwich spreads ever.

Vi says:

Yum!! I will have to try this. Thanks for the recipe. :-)

RitaMarie says:

Thanks for sharing your Miracle Whip story. I have to admit I was much older than you before I figured it out. So glad I did:) Thanks for the recipe and your blog. Makes me laugh every time and I love the recipes.

Melissa says:

Sound so good. I think I need to make it today. I loooove garlic and rosemary, but you’re making me feel like I could go on a gourmet, home made-mayonnaise-making spree with this recipe. what other flavors would go well in here?

Thanks for sharing this recipe. All the store brands of mayonnaise I’ve looked at contain soy, and my son is allergic to soy. Now I can make my own for him.

Melissa says:

Lime and chipotle – you’re reading my mind! I just want take this moment to thank you ladies for bringing flavor into my life. Lime, chipotle, ginger, cilantro, coconut – now make regular appearances in my kitchen, when pre-Our Best Bites, they never had. My entire family thanks you!!!

Allison Brenn says:

I can totally relate to your fear of the Ring, as well as raw eggs!! I went with my roommates and an apartment of guys who lived next to us to see that movie and afterward, the guys stole our remote and would randomly turn on our TV to static through the window in the middle of the night. I didn’t sleep well for WEEKS!! Random I know, I just have not met anyone in a long time who remembers the horror that movie caused! Mayo on the other hand is fabulous and I will try this soon!

Oh, my gosh, I KNOW, right?! I got up really early to work out one morning and turned on the TV and VCR, but it was on the wrong channel and we got the static and I literally screamed and jumped backwards over the couch. That movie scarred me.

Jamie says:

Sounds delicious! I need to make this soon. I also need to chime with my feelings about The Ring. We lived in a hundred year old home when I saw it and I wouldn’t go into our creepy basement by myself for MONTHS. My onely consolation was that my tough, out-doorsy brother was also terrified.

Heidi says:

I’ve never heard of pasteurized eggs! I grew up on homemade mayo, and I have to say that the raw egg factor really icked me out. It took me a long time as an adult to eat regular storebought mayo because of it.

Melissa says:

This looks so yummy! I don’t have a clue where I might be able to get pasteurized eggs around here, but I want to try this recipe.

I totally had the same reaction you had to mayo the first time I tried it. My family always ate Miracle Whip, and man, it is not the same at ALL! (Also, I, too, slept with the lights on for longer than I’m proud of when I saw The Ring for the first time…)

Uhh…. YUM! I still haven’t tried Sara’s sandwich spread, so now I need to add this to the list. Have never made my own mayo, but it sounds intriguing. My husband loves miracle whip for certain sandwiches (especially his post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches) so we usually keep just a small jar on hand. I only tolerate the taste – not my fave. Lately, my friend has been teaching me the fine art of doing more with my sandwich that just meat, lettuce and tomato and this definitely fits the bill!

PS: I grew up in a Colgate family as well. I have since been converted to Crest. I like my toothpaste to have a strong, almost-burn-your-mouth mint taste to it so I feel like it’s actually working!

Sandy says:

I am with you! When I was growing up all I knew was Miracle Whip…until I hung out at my friend’s house where they had Best Foods! Oh my! What an incredible revelation! (still can’t eat Miracle Whip to this day)
    I am so going to make this! Thanks for sharing! :)

Sunny Drohan says:

I will definitely try this one. Just a tip for an easy garlic add: try using the garlic in the tube. Easier to blend in without bits of garlic getting in the way. Although I wouldn’t mind it.
    Will look in Whole Foods f, which I really love both the salad dressing and the regular Mayo. I had switched from Hellman’s.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Sunny

Sunny Drohan says:

oops: the rest of the sentence re whole foods: will look in whole foods for the pasteurized eggs.
    Sorry about that

Dawn Kappel says:

I have tried mayo a couple times, with no success. I’m anxious to give it one more go. Wish me luck ;o)

Sunny Drohan says:

something must be amiss: I was writing that I love Dukes Mayo and salad dressing and that I had switched from Hellmans. I think that does it.
    I better go eat lunch. The brain is starving!

Jamie says:

I totally understand why you are afraid of salmonella. My son had it when he was two and it was awful. He still has trouble with his tummy and he is 4 now. It isn’t any fun.

This mayonnaise sounds wonderful. I may try pasteurizing my own eggs and then make this. It sounds delish!

Mayo and garlic, reminds me of my mission in the Czech Rep. I might have to try this.

Carol F. says:

Funny…I was just YESTERDAY wondering if you could make homemade mayo with olive oil. Look yummy, thanks!

karen says:

I’ve been meaning to try making my own mayo! Why the mix of olive oil and canola? (we only use olive oil and coconut oil)

Karen, mostly because I got the recipe from Cooking Light, but also because olive oil is a heavier oil than canola (part of why you don’t fry things in olive oil). The canola is still heart-healthy and whips up more nicely, but then you get a little of the extra flavor and health benefits from the olive oil.

desi says:

I was also freaked out by The Ring. I seriously didn’t sleep that night and my mind was playing crazy tricks on me. Glad I wasn’t alone. :)

Chelle says:

That is too funny about the Ring because I watched it while my mom was asleep on the couch next to me and I seriously wanted to wake her up just so I didn’t feel so alone lol. I had to have been out of high school and probably in my 20s!! Glad I’m not the only one. ;) This looks delish. And btw I grew up in a Miracle Whip house too. Now I like to have both around because I just like mayo better on some things. I heart flavored mayos too so will definitely be trying this sooner than later.

Pasteurized eggs. Those would be perfect for the chocolate mousse recipe I have.

Andrea Steed says:

This sounds super yummy! I am a sucker for garlic and rosemary. Also I just wanted to tell you that I have tried several of your recipes from your cookbook…I have not been disappointed yet! Thanks for sharing your yummy recipes. Can’t wait for another cookbook from you guys! ;)

Lorrie R says:

Oh wow! I’ll be trying this without the garlic and rosemary as the base of white Barbecue Sauce the next time I make this recipe. http://www.southernliving.com/food/whats-for-supper/grilled-chicken-white-barbecue-sauce-recipe-00417000068022/

Jenni says:

thank you thank you thank you for doing a homemade mayo recipe. I’ve been wanting to try making some forever, but it’s so intimidating.

also, thanks for the info about pasteurizing your own eggs. I might have to try that too. honestly, and I speak as a microbiologist, I’ve never been particularly concerned about raw eggs. the chances of illness are so small, but I’m also not pregnant or otherwise immunocompromised.
    of course, I’ve also been licking the beaters after brownie/cookie/cake batter was made since I was like 5 and I’ve yet to pay for it :p

Carol says:

I too grew up with Miracle Whip, can no longer stand it and will only eat Best Foods Mayo. Never thought to use the new pasteurized eggs for cooking with raw eggs, duh! Will be trying this great sounding mayo!

Lauren says:

I was just telling my husband the other day that I want to try making mayonnaise, how funny! Oh and I think The Ring is hands down, the scariest movie ever made! Whenever I see horses being pulled in trailers I always think about that scene when the horses bust out and trample all the cars on the ferry. FREAKS ME OUT!

Mikki says:

This recipe looks really good, will definitely be trying it. But with regular eggs as the raw egg part doesn’t bother me…I buy good free range eggs and don’t see the problem in raw egg if you trust the eggs you buy. Obviously if you buy eggs from caged hens or the like…I wouldn’t really want to eat them raw. But really, here in France its not uncommon to eat things with uncooked eggs. From homemade mayonnaise to chocolate mousse and they’re all great. I have eaten these things numerous times and have never ever been sick or known anyone here who has. Perhaps in America, it is looked upon differently or there is more fear of things like this. I’d urge you to buy good eggs and try it, you’d never know the difference and it’d be a lot easier for you!

Lizeth R says:

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I can’t wait to try it.

Lizeth

Brittany says:

Looks yummy! Is it wrong that I actually prefer Miracle Whip to mayo?

Amanda B says:

I’ve gotta put in a plug for eggs. Honestly, if you’re buying eggs from healthy chickens (i.e. chickens that eat what chickens were meant to eat like bugs and grass) then you have nothing to fear as far as salmonella goes. It’s the conventional grocery store eggs that put you at higher risk. They come from chickens that are fed all kinds of stuff that chickens were just never designed to eat, like soy. Plus they’re kept in really small spaces instead of roaming out on the pasture. Healthy eggs come from healthy chickens.

Pam says:

I have made potato chips before (well, tried to anyway), and they tend to be lacking. this recipe looks fabulous. Thanks!!!

Ha! I grew up in a Miracle Whip, Coca Cola home too!
    I can’t wait to make this recipe for mayo – have never made mayo from scratch. What a delightful idea!

Elaine says:

I did a research project in college about poultry and salmonella. Salmonella inside eggs is not as unusual as the Egg Board would have you believe. Studies by the FSIS have shown the incidence to be more like 1 in 4,500.

Salmonella in a hen’s ovaries does not make her sick and you cannot tell by looking at her if she has it. Stress causes the release of it into the egg — thunderstorms, predators, etc.

Remember that bacteria multiply rapidly between 40 and 140 degrees F. You may cause more harm than good by trying to pasteurize an egg at home. The yolk provides nutrients for the bacteria, and if the temperature does not reach all the way to the center of the egg you could cause bacteria to flourish.

Mandy says:

Okay, I just have to say that this is HILARIOUS that all of us were stuck with Miracle Whip as kids. What the heck?! My mother in law was shopping with me one day and told me the only thing she uses is Best Foods Mayo, I tried it and have never looked back since. Must have been a generational thing? This mayo however, sounds delish! BLTT (bacon lettuce turkey tomato) with it? YUM!!!

kathy Westwood says:

OK, here’s the problem. I’m not supposed to eat most oils due tofood sensitivities. Canola is on the no no list. Can I use only olive oil? How will it impact the taste? Thanks!

Oh, Kathy, why do you ask me these hard questions? :) You know, I can’t say for sure–olive oil is a little heavier and it can tend to have a very strong flavor. Can you eat light olive oil? That is the mildest of the olive oils and you might have good luck with that.

If you do try it with olive oil, let us know how it goes! :)

Melissa says:

LOVE! I did use a stick blender though, due to an arm injury. I used a jumbo sized glass beer stein that I randomly got from the dollar store one day. It was heavy enough not to spin around and prevented splatters very well (god bless that impulse buy!) I’m happy to say the mayo came out great :) I flavored with some fresh french tarragon and lemon zest. (oh and I lived in an old house when the ring came out and there was an old well out front EXACTLY like the one in the movie -I made my husband walk me to my car at 4:30 in the morning for over a month!)
    -Thank you for all the wonderful recipes (and the out-loud chuckles that confuse my co-workers!)

nicole says:

this sounds like it would be great for french fries. I love mayo on fries. nom nom nom

Margie Ruffino says:

Thank you so much for the mayo recipe! I will definately try it. Would you happen to know the shelf life stored in the refrigerator?

Rachel says:

Amazing recipe. Made it tonight. Thank you!