Remember the time I was ready for it to be fall, but it was still hot enough outside to fry eggs on the sidewalk?  Okay, so it’s not that hot where I live, but still.  We’re in full-on shorts and flip flops attire and probably will be for a while.  What you need this time of year is a spiced autumn wonder disguised as a cold frosty summer treat.  Perfect for those in between months where you’re totally confused as to which season to be devoted to.   I actually thought of this last fall but as the months filled up I never got around to post it.  Then this fall rolls around and cider floats are all over the blogosphere.  Turns out I’m not as ingenious as I thought.  Hate it when that happens!  Here’s what you’ll need for this deeeelicious little treat:

Make sure you use a good apple cider, not plain ol’ apple juice.  Sometimes you’ll see jugs labeled “apple cider” next to the apple juice, but don’t buy it if it looks clear and light, like normal apple juice.  You want an unfiltered cider, so it has little bits of pulp in it; it should be a darker, amber color like this picture.  Don’t be afraid to buy the big jug.  You can make lots of things with the left overs like, Hot Caramel Apple Cider, Apple Butter Pork Chops, and Tortellini Sausage Soup.

This time of year, seasonal jugs of cider start popping up in grocery stores and are often found on the aisle end-caps or in the produce department.  There is also “Simply Apple” found in the refrigerated section near the orange juices.  I think the seasonal type jugs are still better for this particular recipe, but if you can’t find any, Simply Apple would be a good option; much better than plain apple juice.  Depending on where you live, it’s often from local suppliers.  We always support buying products that are produced locally; they not only taste the best because they’re fresh, it’s a great way to support local growers and businesses in your area.

Start by pouring some cider in your glass, you’ll want it about 1/2 full.

See that nice color?  And the flecks of pulp?  Dark and rich, that’s what we’re going for here!

Then you’ll add a little fizz.  The trick is adding the right amount.  It’s not rocket science, but if you add too little, it comes out like flat soda, and if you add too much, it really dilutes the flavor of the cider.  A 2-1 ratio of cider to ginger ale seems to be just about right.  And really, I like to sacrifice a little fizz for a stronger cider flavor.

Next comes a big scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.  Or any of those yummy fall flavored ice creams like cinnamon or apple pie would be yummalicious.  And if you want to go all out, try our Homemade Apple Pie Ice Cream, or this Snickerdoodle Ice Cream without the cookies, or the easy peasy  Two-Ingredient Ice Cream I posted on Monday.

After the ice cream, sprinkle a little nutmeg and cinnamon on top, or a lot of nutmeg and cinnamon if you’re me.

And a nice big drizzle of caramel.

Oh yeah.

And speaking of warm/cold- autumn/summer treats, you can put a scoop of ice cream in our Hot Caramel Apple Cider and it’s fantastic!

Nicole Peck says:

sheesh that looks divine!! I need to watch out for jugs of apple cider like that. I don’t know if I’ve ever noticed any at the grocery store!

Misty says:

My store sells them over in the same section as the bagged salad with the drinks like those bolthouse yogurty protein drinks (not sure if that’s the right name for those drinks???)

B. Keefer says:

We had these floats over the weekend and they were great!

Apple Cider is strictly seasonal down here. If you can’t find it yet, try using the Simply Apple in the cold section where the orange juice is. It’s unfiltered, 100% apple juice and tastes pretty darned close to cider. You can buy smaller bottles too.

Ya, I use Simply Apple a lot. I still think the seasonal jugs are better (they tend to be a bit more concentrated) but Simply Apple would be great if you can’t find the other, and it’s pretty widely accessible so that’s a plus!

Karan says:

These sound so yummy. Will have to get cider this week end when we shop.

Karan

These sound dreamy. Love them!

What beautiful pictures! And, the float, oh, my. It looks amazing! It has me looking forward to Fall days…which will mean that these 100 degree Texas days are over.

Amanda says:

Mmmmmmmmm. I’m so anxious to get into fall foods, but here in Georgia, it’s still in the 90s as well. This drink looks like the best of both worlds!

This sounds absolutely wonderful! Growing up we had a small apple orchard and we pressed our own cider. I am really wishing I had a jug of that fresh cider right now to make this delightful treat!

OMGOODNESS! YUMMY!

Nicole says:

Fall must be in full swing! This looks decadent!

Sarah says:

Apparently there is no apple cider to be had in my entire city. Except the fake apple juice kind of stuff or the powder packets. I’m convinced it’s a tragedy b/c I can’t make yummy Fall drinks
    Iike this. :sigh: Your floats look awesome though!

karen says:

Looks delish! But you have to toss that pre-greated nutmeg and get yourself real nutmeg. It will change your life.

Our weather has been tricky lately too. Cool at night and in the morning but in the upper 90′s to even 100′s during the day. So I love how this is the perfect ‘in between seasons’ treat like you said. Kinda like we are ‘faking’ fall! : )

T. Mellor says:

I think this would be great warmed up too. The ice cream would melt a little faster, but MMMMM, warm-spicy-creamy-cider sounds marvelous to me.

Tori says:

This is funny. I’ve been thinking of making a caramel apple shake lately. I was going to use your caramel apple cider recipe and blend it up with ice cream.

Jenn says:

You’re dangerous!

That is making me gain 10lbs by looking at it.

I MUST MAKE ONE!

What a good idea! Just like apple pie a la mode.

Amber C. says:

I am so excited to try this! I love fall!

Julianne says:

I was hoping for a taste description about the Roasted Saigon Cinnamon. It sounds amazing. Is it more intense in flavor than regular cinnamon?

It’s really good Julianne, it’s definitely a little more…intense isn’t the right word- well maybe it is, just more complex I guess? I really like it. In a lot of recipes you really wouldn’t be able to tell a difference, but when you can taste the cinnamon, the roasted has a great flavor. I love the color too; it’s much darker.

Sara says:

Looks so good! I’ll be heading to the store in my sundress & flip flops to get some cider (if we’re lucky enough to have some in the stores yet!) AH, finally a taste of fall in FL!

I LOVE apple cider, and this looks like such a tasty treat. :)

Jessica says:

This sounds fabulous. I have people in my family who don’t drink carbonation, would it still taste as good without the fizz?

BigMamaCass says:

That looks like heaven in a cup!

Lynette Curtin says:

Sara,

Can you tell us where you got that mug? I love it!

Diane Durfee says:

Mmmm – looks delish! Sounds like a yummy weekend treat! Also – @Lynette I’ve seen some mugs very much like these at Walmart. In fact I have red ones, they don’t carry the red ones anymore, but I’ve seen the clear!

Ruth says:

This looks awesome! Does anybody in Washington know of any apple orchards around Seattle? The ones with fresh apple cider and doughnuts?

These look delicious and with your permission, I would love to include them in my apple blog for tomorrow. I will post a link to your site.

I absolutely love this idea! I am definitely going to make these!

Maureen says:

I have a sudden urge to run to the grocery store. :P

Jessica S. says:

I just made these tonight. They’re delicious!
    Everyone said that it tasted like apple pie in a glass.

I just happened to have all the ingredients for this in the house tonight, except for the jarred caramel sauce…so we had to make due with homemade salted caramel sauce instead. ;) They were pretty divine. I would probably use a little less cider/ginger ale next time, to have a higher ice cream to liquid ratio. ‘cuz you know, there’s no such thing as too much ice cream.

Amanda M says:

That looks like heaven. Isn’t Talbott’s the best cider EVAR?! I used to live not far from where they make it in Palisade, CO. One of the local coffee shops uses it to make lattes… delish!

Leah says:

I wonder how it would taste using the 2-ingredient ice cream? Guess I’ll have to find out for myself…. poor me. ; )

I can’t imagine that adding cream and sweetened condensed milk would do anything but enhance it :) Better go test it asap!

Simply delish! I look forward to trying this recipe out when I have friends and family over this Fall. Soon it will be peppermint mocha time!

Rachel says:

Mmmmm… that sounds like fall goodness to me!I also love to add a scoop of ice cream to my hot chocolate and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top– delicious!

Sally says:

I’ve never heard of an apple cider float before, so your still a genius to me! And it sounds super yummy, too bad I’m already cold and wearing a sweater in Michigan. Maybe we will still have a random hot day or two here.

Jenelle says:

Yep, sipping one right now to wash down the Tortellini Sausage Soup I just made. I’m in fall heaven. YUM!

Melanie Charlton says:

Where was I when you served that delightful autumn treat!?

Amy says:

I wish it would warm up a bit here! In Minnesota we are down to 30s at night and the heat is on, so this drink is a tad too cold. Looks delicious:) Can’t wait to try it out!

Claire says:

my nephew is a freak for hot chocolate. he even drinks it in the summer. maybe we can ween him onto this for the fall! haha

nicole says:

i am so excited to make this for my boyfriend this fall. He loves cider.

Nikki says:

I tried this with Cranberry Splash Sierra Mist. And it was DELICIOUS! These will be a fall staple at my house, for sure!

Where I live it is actually getting chilly (we’ll have snow soon), I am interested in trying this with hot apple cider and no ginger ale. Hot chocolate floats are delicious, so why not hot apple cider floats?

Leslie says:

Mmmm…. we had these for F.H.E. treats. They were delish! I have to admit that I sprayed the Ginger Ale all over the kitchen and my face, though! I didn’t think it was funny then, but from now on I’ll associate these floats with that memory and laugh! ;)

Megan says:

Made these the other day for a Teacher’s Appreciation treat on confernence day and they were a big hit with everyone. The cider gave it just enough of a tartness to offset all the sweetness. After the teachers were taken care of my kids and I went and made some for all the firefighters at my husbands station.

Carolyn Alvey says:

Make these last night for a football party we hosted. Everyone loved them! It was like we were drinking Fall!

Melody says:

Oh, dear. Now you’ve gone and done it! These could be dangerous! Lol!

Nicole W says:

Anybody in Southern California and other states with the store “Fresh and Easy” should know that they have pumpkin spice ice cream right now… and it makes an amazing apple cider float. :)

Rachel says:

yummmmmmm!

diane says:

Sara:
    What about drizzling the ice cream with your buttermilk caramel sauce? instead of the jarred caramel topping?

We do something similar at my house, but we call it Butterbeer. I soften the ice cream and combine it with the spices along with some butter and then refreeze it to put in hot cider (or cold cream soda). :D Yum!

Susan says:

These are delicious and so easy to make!!!

Love this. If anyone prefers things a tad less sweet (or is trying to limit calorie intake) try with Granny Smith Apple Seltzer. Same fizz but with an additional layer of apple. Enjoy!

Wendy Perkins says:

We just tried this tonight. 5 stars all around. We will definitely be having this again!

Sobai says:

Replaced the ginger ale with cream soda – oh so yum! Thanks!

MDtripmom says:

I finally got around to making this, even though we recently said goodbye to fall and hello to winter! Didn’t matter because it was scrumptious, regardless of the season. I had another one the following day and used egg nog ice cream, which worked beautifully. What a tasty treat!