During the summer months we constantly get emails saying, “Help!  I just got a million pounds of [insert fruit of your choice here] what can I make with it??”  If that’s you, this should be at the top of your list!  And even if you don’t have a million pounds of anything, it should still be a the top of your list.  You can use just about any fruit, and it’s perfect for those things that are just a little too ripe to eat any other way.  My kids LOVE homemade fruit roll-ups (which is a way more appetizing name than fruit leather, so we’re going to say roll-ups, okay?) Now, I have absolutely nothing against pre-packaged foods.  Heck, my 14 month old ate like 7 packs of fruit snacks before I even got dressed this morning.  I’m not one of those moms who makes everything from scratch- but, it’s sure nice to do sometimes.  I do like to encourage my kids to eat healthy, wholesome food, and it’s a bonus when they can help make it.  Besides the fact that these taste simply amazing, you control exactly what goes in there, and I love that.  No artificial colors or flavors or preservatives, just perfectly wonderful fruit and the amount of sweetener you like.  I’m telling you; whether your 5 or 95, you’ll love eating fruit roll-ups!

You can use just about any fruit or fruit combination you can imagine.  I got loads of raspberries and a few peaches yesterday from my sweet friend Carolyn, and we had some strawberries on hand already.  I’ve never had a bad fruit combo, so play around and see what you like!  And while this is fabulous with fresh fruit, you can also use frozen, or even fruit you’ve canned.

Prepare Fruit: Make sure your fruit is washed and then roughly chop just so you can measure.  If you’re into measuring, that is.  If you’re not into measuring than this recipe is totally for you since it really doesn’t matter if you measure or not!  Those of you who need a number, you’ll need about 3 cups fruit for a standard size rimmed baking sheet (13×18, or 13×15).  I always do a little more than that just so I have plenty and can make it as thick as I want.  Toss the extra in a smoothie.

Sweeten:  If your fruit is naturally sweet enough, you don’t even have to add anything.  I always add a little somethin’ somethin’ to mine.  You can use granulated sugar, honey, or even splenda or agave syrup.  I’m going to add a little honey to my peach-strawberry mix.  I added about 3-4 tablespoons.  You can also add ground spices and extracts at this point.  Keep in mind that flavors and sweetness intensify after drying, so less is more.  For light colored fruits, add about 2 teaspoons lemon juice to prevent browning.  You can add lemon juice to any fruit combo just to brighten the flavor.

Puree:  Many (actually, most) recipes for fruit leathers/roll-ups have you simmer the fruit on the stove first.  I used to do that until I realized I didn’t really  have to- and you all know I will avoid dirtying a dish if I can!  So just pop it all in a food processor so you can get it nice and smooth.  This picture below is actually of my raspberry batch.  I did all raspberries with white sugar and almond extract.  Holy heaven-in-a-food-processor:

Taste the mixture after it’s smooth and add more sweetener if you need to.  You need to be able to pour this mixture, so if you puree your fruit and it’s pretty thick, just add a little liquid.  You can add water, or fruit juice.

Line Pans: Okay, technically this step should happen at the beginning, but whatever.  Just be sure to line your pan.  You’ll notice in the photo above, I’ve lined my pan with plastic wrap.  While these are going in the oven, the temperature is so low it won’t melt the plastic, BUT- DON’T USE CHEAP PLASTIC WRAP.  I need to make that clear.  Use good quality plastic wrap, not a bargain brand; some packages even specify for use in a microwave.  Others are so flimsy and cheap that you might run the risk of them melting at such a low heat.  Use good stuff and you’ll be fine.   Just cover the entire pan with plastic and smooth out any wrinkles.  You don’t want a ton of overhang, so trim if you need to, but make sure to leave at least an inch or two of overhang because it will kind of shrink up in the oven.  Leave the edges loose (as in, don’t tighten them around the pan.)  You can also use a silicone baking mat like in the strawberry batch below.  Both silicone and plastic wrap work the best in my opinion.  The fruit will stick to both foil and parchment so I don’t recommend those.  If you do decide to try it, you need to spray it with non-stick spray or brush it with vegetable oil first.  I think plastic and silicone really work the best so go with one of those.

Spread Puree:  Use an offset spatula to gently spread the mixture in an even layer.  The more evenly you spread, the more evenly it cooks.  Keep the mixture away from the edges like in the photo below.  You’ll want it about 1/8″ thick.  Your puree should be thin enough that it pours, but thick enough to stay put where you spread it.

Cook:  Set your oven temperature to the lowest setting.  Mine is 170, many ovens will go down to 140.  170 works great, and it will be a little faster than 140.  You’re basically just warming the air, helping the fruit dry faster.  You can actually place the trays outside in the sun as well, but it does take much longer than the oven.  And if you have a food dehydrator, obviously just follow the instructions for your machine.

This is where you will have to be patient.  It takes about 6-8 hours, sometimes longer, for it to dry.  If you aren’t going to be at  home and you don’t want to leave your oven on, just keep the oven door shut and turn it off while you’re gone.  Turn it back on when you get back and it will just keep on drying.  I often make this in the evening and leave it in the oven for a few hours, then turn the oven heat off when I go to bed, and turn it back on in the morning until it’s done.  You can test it by touching the center of the fruit mixture- it should not stick to your finger, and not indent when you touch it.  The edges will cook faster than the center; if the edges look like they’re getting crispy, you can cut those off later, or brush them with a little water or juice during the baking process to rehydrate.  Or if you overbake the entire pan, you can also brush with a little water until it’s pliable again.

See how thin that is?  You can see right through it.

I never thought fruit roll-ups could be gorgeous, but this raspberry one is gor-ge-ous!  You can certainly strain out the seeds before cooking, but I happen to think straining raspberry seeds is a huge pain in the rear and I love the little bit of texture it gives to the final product.

Remove: You can peel it off the plastic or baking mat while it’s still warm, it should come off easily.

Roll: You can wrap it right back up in the plastic, or cut a sheet of parchment to fit.

I like to use a pizza cutter and trim all of the edges (my kids love to eat that part) so I have nice clean lines to work with.  Because I’m a freak like that. If you have a good (clean) pair of scissors, you could roll the whole sheet and then just snip all the way through the roll.   If you’re like me and have 14 pairs of crappy scissors, none of which you can ever find when you actually need them, then cut into strips and then roll them up i ndividually.  Or if you want large rolls of fruit, you can do it that way.  I love these little one-inch segments because they’re a great size for kiddos.

Most of the little rolls will stay rolled, but if they need help, you can always attach a little piece of tape, or a twist tie to keep them all bundled up.

They make yummy little treats in lunch boxes

Or healthy snacks (for Mom and Dad too!)

Since the drying  process is long, fit as many pans in your oven as you can!  We love to do all different colors and flavors and experiment with flavor combinations.
It’s also a good idea to make lots because these will be gone in a heart beat.

If stored well (I like to keep them in a mason jar) these can stay fresh up to several weeks.

Or so I’ve heard.  I’ve honestly never had them last more than a few days.
Okay, one day.  About an hour unless I hide the jar.
You can also freeze them.

Janice says:

Have you tried using freezer paper? I don’t know if this would work but one side is plastic coated, so I wonder if this would make doing roll ups quicker.

I’m so glad you posted this. I was toying with the idea of fruit leather when I get a bunch of pears next week but didn’t think I could do it since my oven only goes 170 for a low and every recipe I’ve seen says 130 -140. I saw a few people say you can leave a crack in the oven if your oven goes too hot , but with a curious 9 month old crawling around my house and with no way to keep him from crawling into the kitchen I figured that wouldn’t be safe and abandoned the idea of fruit leather. I’m definately going to try it now that I know 170 works just fine!

Melissa says:

Such perfect timing! I have a 1/4 bushel of peaches in my fridge and I was wondering what to do with them! I am going to give this a try, thanks so much!!

You are brilliant! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!

Nicole Krell says:

This is such a fantastic idea! Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. You’re right, the raspberry looks amazing.

Stephanie Long says:

What a neat idea, I’ve got a dehydrator I can try this with! Because I’m horrible at experimenting, would it be possible to post combos along with measurements for what you’ve tried? Usually when I experiment something turns into fish paste ;)

You know, it really depends on your fruit- I promise, you honestly can’t mess these up! Just add sugar until it tastes yummy, and you’re going to puree into oblivion anyway, so go for it!

• tracy cook says:

ok….pureed up some strawberries and blueberries and peaches and blueberries. i MUST have done something wrong. one of the trays in the oven finished in 1.5 hours (oven on 170 and door cracked open). not only did it finish, but it broke into pieces and tasted burned. the other three are still cooking…….PLEASE HELP!!!! i have now closed the door, but am VERY upset with this…..please email me!!

Kelli says:

I have seen tons of homemade fruit roll up recipes, but none that gave the exact directions for the oven – so THANK YOU!

I thought I’d pass this on – I saw it on another site and thought it was TOO cool! Someone used applesauce as their base for their fruit roll ups and then piped, squirted, whatever you want to call it, designs onto the leather with strawberry, raspberry, etc puree. It had swirls, spots, stars, etc and looked SO awesome!

oh, I LOVE this! I’m totally going to try that with my next batch, thanks for the fun tip!

• Kelli says:

So I was thinking about this last night. My daughter’s birthday party is coming up and the theme is the Very Hungry Caterpillar. For the treat bags, I thought it would be cool to make fruit leather with the designs that look like caterpillars. So I was thinking applesauce or peaches or something for the base, strawberries for the caterpillar heads, and kiwis for the caterpillar bodies…but will kiwis work?

Holly says:

Kelli, what a great idea!! I’ve made fruit roll ups before and added a little bit of plain yogurt to the mix…it was really good, but too sticky to wrap in plastic wrap, so I’m glad you mentioned transferring it to parchment paper while still warm. I will try that next time (I’m always trying to add protein to everything). I finally have fruit on 5 of my trees (okay, so they were only planted last winter…I’m not exactly patient), so I’m really looking forward to having the problem of too much fruit to know what to do with it. Wait a second, I won’t ever have that problem thanks to Sara and Kate!

Erika says:

I’m so happy that this can be done without a dehydrator! I always thought you needed one (though I imagine if I had taken even 3 seconds to google “homemade fruit roll-ups” I could have found that an oven works just fine). I have LOADS of frozen fruit that I’ve been anxious to get out of my freezer–this might be just the thing!

Question- could you bake it on parchment paper instead of plastic wrap?

Yes, you can use parchment. Strangely enough, I’ve never done it that way! I would think it would come off the parchment just fine, but I’ve heard that it helps to spray it with non-stick spray first.

Andrea says:

I’ve tried it with parchment (without using cooking spray), and since it is a kind of paper, it absorbed some of the moisture from the puree as it was drying. Then the parchment wrinkled up so the fruit leather was no longer smooth. Some parts were a lot thicker (in the little valleys of the wrinkles), and it dried unevenly but peeled off the paper with no problem. Maybe the cooking spray helps with this, but you might want to try a small test batch first.

Sara, you are the best! Definitely trying this, & I love the Star Wars lunch box thrown in there.

I didn’t realize you have a 14 month old! Our little guy will hit 14m tomorrow. Everyone we know with kids are either a year older or just born, not fair!

coLine says:

this looks delicious! I just realized now that this is easy to do, thanks for the great recipe. Hugs!♥

Leslie says:

I’m definitely gonna do this. I love fruit leather, but it’s a little expensive at my grocery store! And by the way, love that lunch box!! We have the exact same one! Love Williams and Sonoma!!

Steph says:

Oh man- I so needed this when I had 15 lb of strawberries in April (we live on the GA/AL border), but I can’t wait to try with peaches! I love your site, btw.

Karlyl says:

Love this! My kids would be so excited to help make fruit roll ups!

kara says:

FInally a recipe that is healthy. THank you! I’ve been looking for this!

LeAnn says:

I LOVE to make fruit leather at home. Apricot is my absolute favorite. YUM! In Utah, on a nice hot, sunny day they will dry outside lickity split! But it has to be one of those cookers. I hate to use the oven in the summer. One of these days I will get myself a food dehydrator. One of these days. :) Thanks for sharing. I love the idea of cutting strips because a whole roll is always a bit much for just one person. (unless it’s me of course) I had never thought of that before.

Sara – that is totally FUNN and I give you 2 FUNN thumbs up!

Erin says:

Love that you made these homemade

Michele N says:

You know, I actually do have a dehydrator…I think, we might have sold it but I don’t think so. But I think I would rather do it in the oven. Larger piece that is easier to cut & roll than a circle from the dehydrator and easier to level. Will have to try this, I have some peaches left & might be looking at a bunch more fruit in my future.

Stacy Yarrington says:

I like to make fruit leather out of applesauce and a little jello gelatin dissolved in hot water. It’s a good way to use up the applesauce I’ve canned that we’re not getting to, since I can usually find people giving away apples. I like the texture of it better than other fruit combinations I’ve tried, and it’s easy when you don’t have a lot of other fruit around.

Sam says:

These sound awesome! So can’t wait to try these.

Erin says:

I have a pear tree and never know what to do with all of them when they become ripe. What would you suggest I pair with pears? :). These sound sooo yummy. I would probably be in danger of eating more of them than my kiddos.

I found the answer to what to do with my freeze dried fruit that has started to hydrate in the can and is just a bit chewy. Totally doing this! Thank you!

Katie says:

ooo! Good idea! I have a couple of opened cans that are getting towards the end of their shelf life!

Leslie says:

Thanks! I had no idea you could do this w/o a dehydrator! Well now I know and now I have a new idea for school lunches! THANKS!

Camille says:

Why do I love you gals soooooo much!? And how is it that you read my mind? You are the best!

Momofthree says:

First let me say that I love love love your Asian BBQ Chicken! It was the first recipe I tried off of this site and one of the few that the whole family likes.

I had not really considered making fruit roll ups before but am definately going to now! Our family ‘fall to do’ list includes weekly baking with my kids. My daughter (who is 5) was lookng at the cookie recipes and requested that we make Cadbury Egg cookies next weekend. I’m thinking that we will follow that with the much healthier fruit roll ups!

Copper says:

My life would be so much more complicated without you! Yesterday I was researching making fruit leather in the oven, and the recipes I read had me completely convinced that I needed to simmer the fruit first. You can imagine how thrilled I was to see your tutorial this AM. I’ve got three pans in the oven already – pear/grape/blueberry and nectarine/plum.

Melissa says:

so absolutely excited about this. I have ALWAYS wanted to know how to make some that aren’t full of sugar. Thanks!

Mary Ann says:

my mom used to make this with the italian grapes from my papa’s garden as a child. they were my favorite, but i never knew how it was done. sadly she passed away before i ever learned this skill… so thank you for posting this!!!

Kelly says:

Do you think this would work with frozen fruit as well?

Lori Schulte says:

How long can you store them? Love the idea…because we really try hard not to waste the valuable resource called “food” at our house! Thanks for the post and your authentic way of “instructing” is perfect for even those of us who aren’t the sharpest knife in the kitchen!

alicia ley says:

can i use fresh apples? or does it have to be applesauce?

Natasha says:

Awesome idea! This might a be dumb question, but would this work with a blender? I don’t have a food processor…

You can definitely use a blender. In that case, it might actually be easier to simmer the fruit on the stove with a little liquid just so it gets super soft and blends better; but any way you can puree works just fine!

Erin says:

One of the kinds of fruit leather I make is like what someone said before. I use 2 quarts of applesauce and then add a packet of sugar free jello, you could use regular but I just don’t like all the extra sugar. I just pour the jello straight into the applesauce and stir. All the neighbor kids love it. I like to do strawberry and raspberry best, but you could experiment and do what sounds good to you.

Kirsti says:

I can’t wait to try these! I tried a recipe not to long ago that turned out in a disaster! I used parchment paper and it stuck to it and I couldn’t get it off!!!! So after hours of waiting I didn’t get to enjoy my mango fruit roll ups!!!! Can’t wait to try these!

Gina says:

This made me smile. My grandpa lived in Southern Cali and had fruit trees/plants in his yard and would make mass amounts of what he called “fruit leather” which was a pretty accurate description because he didn’t add any sweeteners. he became quite famous for it and as a child I ate it all the time. It was an acquired taste, not appreciated by all. When I lived with him one summer I discovered he spread it out on old door screens to lay it out to dry. He passed away a few years ago so I haven’t had fruit leather in forever. I wonder if he would be upset if I added sweetener

Donald L. Getz says:

Gina, I just stumbled onto this site by accident. Had to reply to your post. I think your Grandpa would be proud and happy. He made his fruit leathers his way. You can make yours your way. But you will be thinking of him and honoring him by making them. If I was grandpa I’d be proud. Upset? Never! Don Getz

NATALIE says:

What an awesome idea. These looks so good!

Ooooh! I can’t wait to try this! I used to love buying fruit roll ups as a kid. The REAL ones, with REAL fruit… not the other kind. Thanks so much for the recipe. I’m gonna be SuperMom when I make these!

anon says:

Last year, I did this with pumpkin (and [too much] pumpkin pie spice). When I was done it came out brittle and crackly. I’m guessing I just cooked it for too long? Or perhaps too high? My oven only goes to down to 200 or so, I think.

Sally says:

My mom used to make fruit roll ups when I was a kid and I loved them, but she had a dehydrater. I had no idea you could just bake them in the oven. Thanks!

Melinda says:

I have two tips to add. If the puree is too runny, throw a banana in the food processor and it will help thicken up the mix. And if you overdry your leather and it breaks instead of bends, use a pastry brush to coat the leather with a thin amount of water. Let it sit a little while and the leather will become pliable. Over the last two months I’ve made cherry, apricot, peach, and apricot/peach/banana leathers. My kids love them and it feels good using fruit from friends and neighbors that would otherwise go to waste!

Athena Nagel says:

I make fruit leather all the time in the dehydrator and most times I don’t add anything to the fruit – just puree it, layer it, warm it, peel off backing, lay on parchment paper and cut. The lack of the added sugar does not stop my kids from eating batches in one day!

When it comes to cutting – I place the flat mass on parchment paper; roll up the entire thing in parchment paper then just take scissors and cut the entire roll into pieces. I don’t cut each strip individually then roll – takes way to long while the kids are standing there screaming they want some.

As far as storage – I have no idea how long they would last since they barely survive one day!

Just thought I would mention that using a rotary cutter might make cutting these strips faster, more precise and more fun!! :)
    AND
    our good friends, Ray and Stephanie Price said that they are very good friends with you and your family, Sara!! They now live in Illinois with us instead of in Washington with you!! :) Small world! I showed her your cookbook (of which I have 4 and have also sold many to others via your website and Amazon!) and she wants to have one now too!! I had made the Lime Strawberry Shortcake and Pound Cake recipes as well as the mint brownies, and Stephanie LOVED them and couldn’t wait to buy a cookbook now too! Especially since she knows you!

Katie says:

I was wandering if you could just use parchment instead of the plastic wrap, then when the fruit roll-ups are done you wouldn’t have to transfer it?

Katie, if you do use parchment you need to spray it with non-stick spray first. The fruit actually sticks to it and it ends up being more hassle than it’s worth (in my opinion)

missy says:

I just had a flashback to my youth when we’d all go pick apricots at my grandma’s house and then my mom would make fruit leather with them. She dried the big sheets full of puree in our greenhouse. That was good stuff! I’ve got some frozen fruit that needs to be used up so I’m going to try this. Thanks for the recipe!

Carmina says:

You’re a genius! I am going to be a hero in my 4 yr old’s eyes once I make this! Thank you sooooo much! Who knew it was this easy to make! XOXO

darcy says:

i’m wondering if watermelon could be used in this recipe. my concern is that since it has such a high water content, it might not amount to much once its dried. maybe just use more fruit initially?

I would just simmer the puree to thicken it, or set it in a strainer to strain out some of the water.

• Kathy says:

Watermelon does great in the dehydrator. We actually just sliced it but it would have dried more evenly if we had run it through a food processor. It gets very, very sweet when it’s dried so no added sugar should be necessary.

Amber says:

I LOVE making fruit roll ups. I have found that in my dehydrator, making individual rolls works better than making big ones and cutting them. Also, making the mixture a teensy bit thinner in the middle than on the edges makes it dry more evenly.

Pam says:

How absolutely cool is this that you’ve shown us how to make our own fruit rollups? Wow! And they will taste a billion times better than the store-bought version. Thanks.

robyn says:

my mom made these growing up for us. she even made homemade caramel and spread it on top of a finished apple roll up sheet and then rolled them up, caramel apple heaven. your kids really will love you for making these with them.

Nina says:

This is so awesome! I might make some sometime when I have the hands and time! Mostly, I wanted to comment how I love the Star Wars lunchboxes. I was planning on getting one for my husband one day for a birthday or Christmas present. Where’d you get yours?

Kelly says:

A simple way to make sure it doesn’t stick is to use wax paper sprayed with just the littlest bit of cooking spray. Also, it can be rolled in the wax paper so that’s another easy step. Looks so yummy. I just made my first batch of straight strawberry and can’t wait to try it! :)

garysgirl says:

How cool!! I love this idea! You make it look so easy and I love easy things! ;) Plus, I love fruit roll ups, but there are only unhealthy ones at the grocery store, so making your own would be awesome! I cracked up when you said you have 14 pairs of crappy scissors and you can’t find any of them when you need them! lol I am so the same exact way, so I totally relate! haha ;)

Nicole Peck says:

I tried fruit roll-ups once and was horribly disappointed. Hard and crackly. I hate that. I like the soft, chewy kind. My mom made AWFUL fruit “leather” when I was a kid, always apricot, which I hate, yucky brown, and hard as can be. LOL So, what is the secret to making this soft and chewy? The honey? Pour it on thicker??

I think the sugar has a lot to do with it. Honey, or white sugar- the batches I make with sweetener always has a great texture. Fruits all turn out differently as well. My favorites are definitely strawberry and raspberry- they turn out great every time for me!

I was just about to throw out a bunch of peach/raspberry jam that never set up from last year. I think I’ll try this now. My kids would love them, I’m sure! Thanks!!

Alysha says:

LOVE this! I am going to try these. It seems like I am ALWAYS looking for good snacks for our family (including myself and my husband) and this looks REALLY yummy! Thank you!

Danielle Churchill says:

I live in New England and am soon going to have apples coming out my ears. I don’t have room to can a bunch of applesauce so this is great! I know my girlies will love it.

carrie gerhart says:

Delicious!!! Made them today in a whim after seeing the post….almost gone. Guess I’ll be making triple batches tomorrow on our second rain day off school for the week (southern md….)

Demetria says:

Ummm, so the fruit I have in abundance is watermelon which did not make for good fruit leather. Oops. I’ve got some peaches in the freezer though and I’m up for another try!

Oh, no! Well, good to know not to try watermelon :)

• Shawn says:

I found that with watermelon it works best to slice it in 1/2-3/4 inch thick slices, remove rind and seeds if there are any, then dry it as is. I use a magna wonder knife that makes the measurement easy, but if you want to you can remove the rind and cut it by eye, just watch it as it gets close to done to keep it from getting too dry.

Micah says:

these look AWESOME!! i’m gonna have to make them for my 2 year old. so fun!

Jolynn says:

I love to make fruit leather. I live in AZ so I just put it outside for a few hours. It works great. I make sure I cover it so bugs don’t get in. I just used and old window screen that I had cleaned.

I love the idea of putting it on parchment after because the plastic wrap is hard to get off and hard to find the start.

Cindy says:

My sister and I make gobs of fruit leather every summer, and we’ve had it stay good for at least a year. We wrap ours in the plastic and then put it in an air tight bag or sealed gallon can. Because of the low moisture content they stay good as long as they are dried well without any sticky parts:)

Kirsti says:

The parchment paper was a disaster!!! It stuck to it and I had to throw out a pan of strawberry! Then I tried it with the plastic wrap (yet I was skeptical!!!!) work like a charm!!! Sooo delicious!!!!

Rachel says:

Does this method work for drying other things too? I have a ton of herbs outside that are starting to go to seed and need to be picked and dried. I’m thinking same temp, but with the herbs on some baking racks, or something like that?

Laurel says:

These are in my oven right now! Great way to use my ripe peaches and strawberries. I’ll let you know how they turn out in 6 hours or so! :)

Melissa King says:

I accidentally left my oven on all night (yikes!) and totally burnt my very first batch. I am so upset! Oh well. Try, try again, I guess.

Amy says:

I have 2 pans in the oven right now… smells lovely in my house too! So easy! I cannot wait to share with my Moms group!

Anne says:

I’m trying peach-raspberry right now. I was very nervous about putting plastic wrap in the oven, but it looks like it’s okay! And now we wait…

Lisa says:

6-8 hours in an oven sounds like it would make for expensive fruit leather. Does an oven use alot of electricity to keep heated at that temp for that long??

Amy says:

All done AND… all gone! Both pans down the hatch!!! Dang they were good! Thanks so much for the inspiration… I’ll be making more for next weeks lunches! ~Amy

kendra says:

Thanks so much for publishing! I’ve seen this done before but your tutorial was so informative and much easier than others i’ve seen. Thank you!!!

Kristina says:

Do you think this would work with bananas? When I was a kid, my mom did a market research home taste test with banana fruit roll ups. 30 years later and I haven’t forgotten them. Could this be the key to reliving my favorite school lunches ever?

Okay, so I haven’t tried 100% banana yet. I did however do apple-banana the other day and it wasn’t my favorite. I didn’t add any sweetener at all, so maybe that had something to do with it, but the texture was a little off. It wasn’t nearly as chewy as the berry ones. I’ve heard people say they love banana so you could give it a shot! The apple might have been the culprit of the texture issue, I’m really not sure. If you try it, let me know!

Brittany says:

This is brilliant! I can’t wait to try it and toss some in my kid’s lunches!

Holly says:

Thanks! I’ve always wanted to try making these, but have never been brave enough to do it in the oven. We tried a plum/strawberry batch and they turned out delicious! (I have three little guys too: 5 1/2, 4 and 15 months)

Amy says:

I’ve tried fruit leather before with no success but this method worked fine. I overcooked one pan and it was more crispy than leathery – kids preferred it to the leathery pan! I had a small amount of a roasted raspberry chipotle sauce from a gift basket so I stirred a spoonful into the raspberry batch. My family loved the slightly spicy taste! Thanks for an easy tutorial!

DairyAir says:

I’m getting ready for a cross-country move and was trying to figure out what to do with my freezer full of fruit. We’d have to eat nothing but smoothies between now and the move to get through it all. But you’ve saved me! I’ve got a pan of papaya and a pan of papaya-mango in the oven right now. :-) Thanks!!!

Meg says:

I just made two baking sheets full of strawberry, zuchinnin, banana puree. It tastes great!! Thanks for the great recipe!

Amy says:

The applesauce idea is genius! And very very cheap! Made some the other day and was dying over how good it was so now I have 3 pans in the oven…yay! And, I am trying to perfect the apple/caramel combo as we speak! Hope it works!!! Thanks for the idea!!!

Heather Talley says:

So the lowest setting on my oven is 260…is that too high?

Alesa says:

These look amazing! I’m making them tonight!

Angela says:

I made these last week, just after you posted the recipe. I tried Raspberry with Almond-delicious. I also tried Nectarine with Honey-also delicious. My kids love them and I feel great about letting them eat them. My only complaint is that they are GONE. Between my kids taking them for school lunches and Mom, just having to taste them, they were gone too soon. Good thing they are super simple to make. This is going to be a new favorite at our house. Thanks

Ally Baird says:

I tried making these the other week with the huge amount of peaches we have growing in our yard and they turned out amazing! my husband at the whole sheet so i’m making more today! Thanks for sharing!

Megan says:

So I’m not sure what happened with these, but mine failed rather badly! I followed your directions exactly, but the plastic wrap melted to my cookie sheets. Then, when I tried to peel the plastic wrap off the back, it stuck horribly! I’m not sure if having a gas oven instead of an electric made any difference, but next time I’m definitely using lightly greased parchment paper instead of plastic wrap! The few pieces I was able to eat were delicious, but I wish the plastic wrap hadn’t melted and stuck. =(

Debi says:

Your post is lovely! I did strawberry fruit leather recently. http://lifecurrents.dw2.net/?p=4879 So good.
    And, you know there are no weird preservatives in it when you make it yourself.

Rachael says:

Can you use jam as your fruit and ommit the sugar? I thought I heard that before and we have tons of jam and my kids do not like PB&J sandwiches.

Alesa says:

My big pan turned out perfect, my little pan was a little crunchy, I think I’ll take it out a little earlier next time. Other than that, they turned out Great!! total hit! Thanks!!!

Mariah says:

We made these over the weekend and they were so yummy! My favorite were the peach blueberry. Thanks for the post!

Megen Peterson says:

Can I use parchment paper? Just kidding. Actually, for more nutrition and less work, do you think I could keep peach skins on?

Ha, that made me laugh :) I’ve never tried it with peach skins, but I bet you could do that. If you try it, let me know!

• Megan says:

I made strawberry-peach and left the skins on. My peaches were a little hard (and I was too impatient to wait for them to ripen!) so I just simmered them on the stove with a little orange juice. It turned out great!

• DairyAir says:

I made a tray of mango-papaya and didn’t peel the mangoes (lazy…) and they turned out great. Not that mango skins are anything like peach skins, but…

Diane says:

I never thought to make these, what a good idea! I can’t wait to try these with my daughter.

I love this idea! I wish I had it in hand back when I was collecting strawberries and raspberries by the bucketful! Now I will wait to find a good deal at the store and make them. I know that my kids will flip for this recipe! I plan to share a link and a picture on my Sunday 9/18 Links to Love post over at http://www.momof6.com.

Thanks for sharing this!

We often do apple too — and that is one of our favs!

Darcie says:

I can’t believe how easy this was! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

KarenB says:

Maybe a stupid question, but do you use convection or just bake?

Lindsay says:

Have you ever made grape fruit roll ups? I have a TON of grapes!

Lynsie says:

Got mine in the oven! I’m so excited to try them :)

Monica says:

What a wonderful idea! Do you think frozen fruit will work? I froze a bunch of strawberries this summer and want to use them if they will work. I worry they will be watery when thawed?

Beth W says:

This is probably a duh question but did you peel the peaches first?

Yep, I peeled them, but someone else left a comment saying they left the peels on and it worked fine so you could try that!

megan says:

Just wondering what size your silicone mats were?
    Thanks!

Yvonne says:

i wanna do candy sushi and here in germany you dont get “fruit roll ups”
    So i need green roll ups. What do you think, I wanna take apples and color them with green food coloring. Will it work?

Corey says:

I made these tonight and they are great and so easy! Thanks you so much! I also used just a smidgen of honey and 1/4 tsp. of stevia. Then when the kiddo wasn’t looking I threw in a tomato and half an avocado. He has no idea and he is the pickiest eater ever :) Thanks again.

Jennae says:

Thanks for posting this!! I can’t wait to make them this week while my kids are out of school for fall break! They are going to LOVE them :)

Jodi Barrus says:

I just made several batches (my first attempt) and found that I much prefer using plastic wrap (even better than my silicone baking sheet) — because I can roll the finished product up in the plastic, cut with a pizza cutter and it’s good to go! No extra step in cutting parchment. I like that you can spray over-dried fruit with water to rehydrate anything that got left in the oven too long. I had great success with spiced applesauce, raspberry/apple and raspberry/pear. Not so much success with cantaloupe. It was a very thin puree and dried out with holes in it and the flavor isn’t great. It might be better in combination with other fruits.

shelly says:

fresh fruit isn’t in season right now where i live, but i made a BUTT load of jam this year, can i make it out of that?

Trisha says:

Thank you so much for posting this. My sister made some a bit ago and brought them for us so try when she came to Utah to visit. SOO yummy. she told me how she made it and it seemed easy enough for me so I went shopping yesterday for fruit just so i could make some today. I cut up too much fruit, but i actually did pretty well without actually looking you up. its in the oven and i decided to look up this post to make sure i did it right, and i got a ton of ideas from ya. Thank you so much for inspiring my sister, and now me. SO excited to try my apple/grape, and strawberry/kiwi/pineapple fruit leather in… 3 hours and counting :)

Nikki says:

I just wanted to say, “Thanks a ton!” I’ve really been trying to cut out as much of the artificial ingredients from my children’s food as possible and I think this is the perfect way to cut out dyes and sugars while still giving them a yummy treat! I am SO EXCITED to try this!!

Kamilla says:

Used to buy roll-ups all the time as a kid, but then I moved to a country that doesn’t sell them. I can’t wait to try this!
    Are the degrees for the oven in Fahrenheit or Celsius? I’m guessing Fahrenheit, but getting it wrong would be awful!

Julie says:

Absolutely love your post. You cook like I do. Everything is an experiment. We must be related somewhere back in history. Thanks for the easy recipe, can’t wait to try my variation of it!

Mindy Jones says:

OMG.. I am so looking forward to me and my 9 year old daughter (Libby) making these and handing them out at our family Christmas gathering this year.. I think Im going to add this activity in our advent calendar.. Thank you so much for your blog “LOOOVVE IT” you gals are the best ;-)

Sarah Loud says:

Do you thing oranges would work for this? Or will they be too watery? Thanks for the help and great ideas!

Terri Malone says:

My favorite when I was growing was strawberry rhubarb I’ll have to make some

Sara says:

I’m so glad I came across this. Mine are in the oven now. I used strawberries, a squirt of fresh lemon juice, and a hint of honey. I hope they cme out good. In the mean time I’ll have to be patient. Thank you.

Tara says:

This looks delicious! i will have to try this with the kids. Has anyone tried letting kids use cookie cutters to make shapes instead of cutting them into strips for roll-ups? (They will love eating them either way, of course!)

Britnee says:

Would taste good with Bananas?

Made these and they were delicious. Thanks! When my mom made some similar to this growing up, she would just leave the pan outside on a hot summer day rather than using the oven. Totally going to try that when it warms up again.

Stacie says:

I was shopping just yesterday and thought “I should try to find some dried fruit for myself, my husband and my baby” but I didn’t end up finding any. Now I can just make my own! Thanks! I’m excited to get started.

Vonciele King Taylor says:

When I make my rollups I puree pears or apples to the texture of applesauce. I add 1 small package of any flavor of Jello gelatin to 2 cups of fruit. Then dehydrate.

Sara Morris says:

We’re making “candy sushi” at my 10-year-old son’s birthday party and was wondering how to get a large piece of fruit roll-up for the “seaweed.” This is perfect – he and I will make it ahead of time and doing it from scratch will make the whole adventure even more fun (and now a little…little…healthier!). Thanks!

kristina says:

So i found a link to this recipe via pinterest, and I would so LOVE to make my own fruit roll ups, but I cannot have strawberry seeds, raspberry seeds, blackberry seeds, and so on. If i wanted to use those fruits, how could I go about straining them out?? Thanks!

Tia says:

loved reading your fruit roll up recipe. I laughed about the 14 pairs of crappy scissors because that is so typical of the average mom’s home! I have a hubby who loves fresh made juice and I hate to through all that good pulp into the compost, so I thought I’d try my food un-enthusiast hand at roll ups for the kids. Thanks for sharing.

Andy says:

My wife and I had something similar to these in a restaurant in New Orleans over the weekend, but they were brittle and filled with whipped cream and had strawberry sorbet on the side. Do you think that once they are done ‘cooking’, you could roll them up into a tube shape and cook them longer to become brittle? The restaurant wouldn’t tell us how they were made, but they were one of the BEST desserts I’ve ever had.

CalebsMomma says:

I used a little piece of dental floss to hold the rolls together. You can floss after you eat. Thought that was good idea to share.

Dawn Larson says:

This was awesome! Thanks.

I rolled the entire batch at once and then snipped with my somewhat dull kitchen scissors. It worked great (although it didn’t matter because they were gone within 10 minutes). Yum!

Amy says:

oops almost burned the house down… my oven doesn’t tell me my lowest setting but apparently its waaaaaaaaaay too hot :P sadness

Jennifer Christensen says:

I was planning on doing this with some of the fruit from our orchard this year. FYI, the FoodSaver brand vacuum sealers have attachments for sealing mason jars. I THINK that if they are sealed they should last months instead of weeks in the cellar?

Teddi says:

I am just worried about putting plastic wrap in the oven.

Gary says:

I want to actually know where to buy the ingredients used in the nasty product, fruit roll-ups. My nephew hates every natural fruit known to man, whether it be grapes, cherries, watermellon, strawberries, blueberries and you name it – he will not eat it. But he’ll eat all the fake sugar infused fake cancer causing, heart attack candy-like crap on the market. I want to show him exactly what he is eating.

Jasmin says:

Hey I am definitely looking forward to trying this because I hate giving my kids the store bought fruit roll ups, but they love them. One question though, I don’t usually have much fresh fruit on hand so how does this recipe work with the frozen or canned fruit? do I need to thaw the fruit before putting it in the food processor? Thanks.

I’ve heard it works fine with canned fruit, but I’ve never tried it. I would partially thaw frozen before using, just so it can get smooth.

Katie says:

Has anyone tried applesauce? My niece is a super picky eater but she loves apples and applesauce. I make my own applesauce and it’s kind of chunky. Would that work?

Vera says:

My partner and I have been looking for an easy way to make fruit roll ups as we go through uncle tobys ones like there is no tomorrow and now we can make so many more and all because of your website thanks heaps EXCELLENT!!!!!

osmom says:

great idea! i can’t wait to try it! i also love your personality and the way you present this recipe, so funny and true!

Alice Purvis says:

I love this post and can’t wait to try it for my grandsons. I am just wondering about the plastic. I try to make things homemade to avoid
    all the additives in store bought items. The BPA’s in plastic in the oven worries me. You say you have had the best results with plastic lined pans?

Meredith says:

Katie I use applesauce all the time and I like to add a little jello any flavor to change the color and flavor of the applesauce. If you use to much jello your fruit roll ups will come out sticky! I fixed it with a little powered sugar but I won’t make that mistake again

Bethany says:

can i use frozen fruit, thawed? have you tried that?

also have you tried blackberries? are they too seedy?

Never tried frozen fruit, but it should work fine. Just strain your berries to eliminate seeds if you don’t want them.

Naomi D. says:

I am really excited to try these with my over-ripe peaches. However, the lowest setting on my gas oven is 200. Do you think that would be too high? I’m hoping it will still work if I just don’t cook them as long.

Katherine says:

I’ve made these several times & LOVE how easy it is! I use my Silpat and parchment paper. The Silpat works best, but the parchment paper also works well and I’ve never had to grease it. The 1st time I tried, I made the big mistake of using wax paper… disaster!!!

Merilee says:

I loved this recipe!! Healthy, cheap easy alternative to store bought Fruit Roll-ups! I featured this recipe on my blog (http://wonderful-life-mer.blogspot.ca/)….thank you!!!

Susan Taggart says:

Have you used apples or pears? Do you stew them first, or just raw and into the food processor? How about bananas? You may have already answered but I did a quick scan of the 139 posts and didn’t see anything. I’m excited to try this! Ack!!

Kim says:

I used pear last night, and I just threw them in the blender raw. They worked perfectly, and taste wonderful. I did not use lemon juice and they did not turn brown. I used peaches and they worked great too. I had some homemade applesauce in the freezer that I thawed and made fruit leather with over the weekend. I think for apples it would be best to cook them first, but I haven’t tried them raw. I used little hair elastics to keep them from unraveling. I get a package of 500 of them for $1 at Family Dollar. They worked perfectly.

Sorry I missed this before- I’ve used both apples and pears but along with berries and not by themselves. You’ll have to experiment!

Emma says:

How many roll ups does 2 1/2-3 cups of fruit generally make?

Totally depends on the fruit, and the thickness, and the size of rolls. Sorry I don’t have a good answer for ya!

Holly says:

Oh my, I made strawberry pear roll ups today (since I had a bazillion–as in 40 lbs.–of pears). I didn’t think my son would go for plain pear, and the strawberries made it a pretty pink color that also justified me in telling him that they were strawberry roll-ups. They are SOOOOOO good! Thank you!

Victoria Doria says:

Hello:
    If I use the plastic wrap in the dehydrator will that restrict the air flow and drying process?
    Do you know how to extend the life of the rolls beyond a month, to have until the following season?
    Thanks so much,
    Victoria

I’m not sure, you’d have to check the instructions on your dehydrator. And I’m not sure if you could get them to last that long- maybe in the freezer?

• Adventwings says:

I don’t know how well fruit roll-ups made using ovens or dehydrators stay edible, but I’ll share some thoughts on the matter.

My grandmother still makes mango roll-ups every time we have them in excess. She uses the traditional methods – hand-puree and baked in the sun (this being in the tropics, though, so the sun here is very reliable). It takes her a few days, but they’re really nice and firm. I don’t think she added any sweetener, either.

From personal experience, they can be stored for months in the refrigerator. Storing them in a sealed container (like Tupperware) helps a lot, though it might get a bit chewy after a few months. Don’t bother with the freezer, though, since it can turn out too stiff to chew from the cold.

And another little bit of personal experience – I was able to keep some mango roll-up edible for almost a year with just refrigeration alone. They’re a lot tougher to chew on, but soften up nicely after a few bites.

Cassandra says:

I’ve currently got a batch of blackberry/raspberry fruit leather in the oven. I added a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and am hoping it turns out!
    I really hate blackberry and raspberry seeds, I cant enjoy the flavor of the berry if I’m crunching seeds, so I strained the seeds out.
    If it does work well for me ill be making a batch of apple cinnamon!

Starla says:

Can you add food coloring to make this a certain color? I am trying to make black for a road on a cake and thought fruit roll ups would be good! Thanks:)

shannon day says:

I just made a combination of pears and peaches using a cup of each. Then I made a batch using mixed frozen berries-straw-cran-rasp and just added a little honey to the mix and they both taste really yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

Jaime says:

thanks so much!! i love this recipe. you forfilled my craving. i do not want the junky roll-ups by betty crocker these are the answer; now i have a nice healthy treat for me and my friends

Connie says:

Have you ever used bananas while making fruit rollups?

Norma says:

I was wondering if you can use the dehydrator instead of the oven?

Thanks for the recipe, it looks amazingly yummy!

FoodD says:

Great piece. I’ve been making baked brie wracking my brain for another wrapping rather than the traditional puff pastry. My mind’s been whirling and after what I refer to as spiral logic a fruit roll up came to me. I’ll keep you posted on my findings. Happy cooking and thanks for sharing!

Maria says:

Would this work with vegetables? Or at least adding vegetable juice to the mix? Has anyone tried that…?

Amy Kent says:

I have tried this twice and failed miserably each time. I am find that it is really thick in the middle and doesn’t cook and the ends get super crispy. Despite evening it out. How can I make it so it cooks evenly?

Amy, is your pan uneven? I wonder if things are gathering in the middle making it so much thicker even after you’ve evened it out? If you have the patience to try it again I might try making it a little *thinner* in the middle, and see if that helps? Sorry for the frustration!

Rita says:

Not cooking is a fabulous idea since heat destroys vitamin C. Keeping the seeds is a better idea since seeds have the rare vitamin B17. You can eat all seeds if you eat it with the fruit. Folks in Northern Japan who eat apricot seeds with the fruit are all living to the ripe old age of 120 years. Another quality of seeds; chemicals in the seed destroy weak cells in your body thereby canceling out cancer before it happens. Eat more seeds :)

Dominic Palm says:

I was wondering… Before I go out and buy a bunch of fruit… What fruit combinations do you guys like to create? I’d like to know which ones work together and which ones don’t work at all. Thanks!

Honestly, I almost always do berries. I get the most consistent results with those. Bananas and apples can sometimes be finicky and do funny things to the texture. .

• Dominic Palm says:

Alright. That’s what I did the last time I made them. I used strawberries and blueberries and they turned out great. That’s what I’ll continue to do. Thanks for the help!

Saloni says:

I wanted to make a few different colors do you have any suggestions?

Mandi says:

Apparently my plastic wrap works in microwaves, but not in ovens :( It melted all over my pan and strawberry puree went everywhere :( :( I will try again soon

That’s strange! I’m guessing you have a hot oven, because it shouldn’t melt!

My plastic wrap melted all over my fruit leather, too. The lowest temperature setting I have on my oven is 200 degrees so I’m guessing the fruit/plastic wrap was being cooked instead of ‘dehydrated.’ Any thoughts?

Sandra says:

This recipe is just great but I’m finding the fruit leather to be a bit on the thin side. How might I thicken the bite without taking away from the flavors? Has anyone tried adding pectin?

[...] Source: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2011/09/how-to-make-homemade-fruit-roll-ups/ [...]

[...]  Homemade Fruit Roll-ups ~ Fruit rolls are a big ‘kid favorite’ and very easy to pop into lunches or backpacks for kids [...]

Stacey says:

Made these for my son to bring to school, and I over baked a little so I rehydrated with some water like you mentioned..he loves them! His class is using reg fruit rolls ups filled with coloring and ingredients you can’t pronounce, at least with these he doesn’t feel left out!

Question about storage…do I need to refrigerate, or can they be left out in a ziplock after being rolled in waxpaper?

[...] all-natural version with this simple recipe for apricot roll-ups from YumSugar. Or head over to the food blog Our Best Bites for a step-by-step photo tutorial on making mixed fruit roll-ups that looks simply [...]

shaunaaltman says:

I was worried that my plastic wrap would melt, and it did. Just the part that wasn’t touching raspberries, I hope.

Amy K. says:

I am soooooooo psyched to try this. Thank you a ton for using plain language in this recipe and for making ot manageable for newbies at this.

[…] great way to use up overripe fruit is to make fruit leather; Our Best Bites has a great recipe here.  Be sure to remove any badly bruised parts!  For older vegetables, a great vegetable stock is a […]

Thank you so much for sharing this. I keep wondering what I’m going to do with the frozen strawberries have and now my nephews will be forever grateful! Easy to follow recipe which works well for me

Dhon says:

Tryin this tmor, thinking parchment paper, then into the freezer with the whole deal, THEN peal it of paper, light dusting of confectioners sugar on a fresh piece of parchment and roll away… this is how I do homemade toffee and I’d think toffee would be much stickier.

Dhon says:

Also agree w/ other’s about the plastic wrap, it may not burn, but it will most definitely release toxins and BPA if it’s not BPA-free (same as in the freezer, or more accurately when it returns to room temp), I personally never even buy the stuff, glass containers with BPA-free lids all the way.

Heather says:

Has anyone used kiwi? I need green ones? If kiwi is no good, does anyone have any suggestions?

gjuro says:

Hey,
    I am from Europe and have no idea such a dessert exists. I just don’t know what are you doing with the paper? Are you pill off before eating or you eat the paper too? Or you put it in your mouth with the paper and then wait to melt or something?

Momof3 says:

My girls (6 y/o and 2 y/o) and I made a raspberry batch last night. We all agreed they were a little sour, being as the flavors really intensified once they dried out. So we melted some chocolate chips with a little butter and spooned them onto 2″ x 4″ strips and rolled them up. They are amazing. The kids love them (being as there’s chocolate involved!) but they are delectable enough to make me feel like I’m eating something ‘adult-like’!! Next time I’ll make sure to add some fruit that’s naturally sweet. Thanks for posting such a great idea!

Alicia Penrod says:

I’ve tried several batches and it just comes off flakey. Still tastes good but can’t roll it up or anything. Any tips to make sure it fully comes off so I can roll it up??

Becky Thomas says:

I made these using some frozen diced mango and pineapple that I couldn’t get the kids to eat otherwise. Success! My 2 year old loves it so much he cried when I finally said no more! Definitely in my to keep box! Thanks!

Awesome recipe. I’m going camping tomorrow so will definitely take these away with me.

Marisol says:

Hi, I pinned this a while ago and finally needed to make something healthy for my sons last day at daycare. I will tell you, they are so easy to make, but you have got to be patient for the drying process. I used frozen berries so perhaps that has something to do with it. I also think that I started out with a really thick layer. So for future reference, especially if you are using frozen fruit I would suggest others to keep the layer really thin otherwise, be ready to dry for several days. I started Sunday morning. Today is Tuesday morning and one tray is finally done. But you know, it is simply fantastic. I used blueberries in one tray and strawberries in another. I think the blueberries turned out really tart so, I dont know if the kiddos will approve. Something do consider making a lot of in the summer and letting dry outside.

Thanks again for your detailed instructions, experience and fantastic pictures.

M

Luc says:

Does anyone have suggestions for making these with more calories, i’m looking for something similar but more substantial

Kiera says:

I’ve made this twice now and it has turned out absolutely wonderful, thank you. Quick question, why do you use the lemon juice? I have forgotten to add it both times by mistake and it has turned out fine..do you do this to preserve the fruit roll longer? First time I made this I just used 2 cups of applesauce (that I made in my crock pot) and it turned out fantastic, super simple, my twin girls thank you (and as a mom who prefers homemade to store bought, I thank you too)

Esther says:

Great recipe!! Are the degrees in fahrenheit or celsius? Maybe a stupid question, sorry!
    Got a bunch in the oven last night but ran out of gas during the proces. Hopefully we will get a refill on monday.
    I do have microwave oven, but the lowest is 140 celsius. Is that too hot?

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe, my 14months old honey is going to love it, I’m sure!

Sunny greetings
    Esther

Diane says:

Love this! It was the first link I found through Google, and I’m soooooo glad I found this. I made strawberry fruit roll-up with frozen strawberries (thawed and not adding the juices from thawing) I used honey for my sweetener and dried it at 170 F on a silicone baking mat for 7.5 hrs. It is awesome!

Linda says:

I have an over abundance of homemade applesauce, pear sauce, etc. SOME of which has been in our root cellar for TWO OR THREE years. So, the question is,…should I boil the sauces for 10 minutes (as a safety precaution) before adding the jello mix? The jars all look really good, I used safe canning methods, and they have been kept in the cold root cellar but I don’t know the shelf life. Do you think I can still use the home canned sauces to make the fruit roll-ups?

Rachel says:

Hey, these look delicious! But unfortunately strawberries aren’t really in season right now. Do you think frozen fruit will work?

Stephanie says:

I’ve got my pureed bananas and strawberries in the oven now. Always wanted to do this. I ordered a food dehydrator, but it’s not here yet. Hope this works!

edithlolo says:

What happens if you don’t use plastic wrap and just use the baking sheet all bye its self? please answer!!!!

Jill says:

Have any idea if mixing some veggies in with the fruit will work? I’m thinking sweet potatoes, carrots, etc. Trying to get my 2 year old to eat more veggies, but he doesn’t like pouches :(, and thought he might eat them this way because he won’t know they’re in there. I have lots of fruit that is at the end of the eating raw stage, so this will be perfect! Thank you!

Angela says:

I just had to throw out two trays worth of raspberries which are not cheap because the plastic wrap dissolved into bits and stuck to the fruit. Add the cost of my oven being on for hours…this was a terrible waste of time, money, fruit and electricity. Temp was at 170 as per instructions.

Sam says:

Would this work in a blender instead of a food processor? I currently don’t have access to one, but have two decent blenders. Would it yield a similar result. Also do you think apples would work well for this, as we keep a TON of apples around the house at all times.

Olivia says:

My blender worked better than my food processor! I actually first pureed the fruit in my food processor but had to re-blend it in my blender to get a smoother consistency.

Janet says:

This turned out like pink applesauce since I used strawberries. I did 6 hours at 140 degrees. Two more hours would not have done much more to it I think. Plus, it had a burnt flavor. I was so disappointed to waste my good strawberries,

Olivia says:

My oven stops working when I leave it open so should I cut down the time? FIY the lowest temp for my oven is 170 (which I what I put it on)

Julie Fekete says:

I love easy things as I do not really like cooking. (My husband does the cooking at the moment after 45 years of marriage and five children later). I love fruit rolls and dried fruit and I will attempt to make these rolls since it looks easy and it is healthy.

Sharon says:

Some people did not have good results but should not blame Sara. Get an oven thermometer so you can know the actual temperature of your oven. Sara said it takes about 6 to 8 hours to dry. Stay around and check on the baking fruit periodically. Sara suggested turning off the oven when you had to leave or go to bed and turning it back on when you were back in the kitchen. She said to use only good quality plastic wrap, which doesn’t melt in her oven. Also, dark pans tend to get hotter so I wouldn’t use those. Experiment on your own to find out what works best in your oven and your climate with your pans and your plastic wrap or parchment paper or whatever. Sara is sharing what works best for her, but you can do small batches of various fruits and vegetables and sweeteners and find out for yourself what works best with what you have. Don’t be afraid to try your own ideas, just keep notes as you go and experiment in small quantities and soon others will be asking you for your recipes and methods and materials.

Katy says:

Our family went out and picked huckleberries. After juicing the berries foe syrup, I just couldn’t throw out the wonderful mash. I found your site and now thanks to you we have huckleberry fruit leather. Thanks!