Posted in Kate, Yeast Breads

So you guys know I love my homemade yeast breads. Like Breadsticks and French bread and Rosemary Focaccia and Flatbread and all sorts of yeasty goodness. I find making them very fun and satisfying and relaxing (all of which are promptly negated by the very un-fun, un-satisfying, and tension-inducing moment when I take a look around my kitchen and realize that my exuberant mess isn’t going to clean itself).

However.

Sometimes, it’s just not going to happen. Like on those busy, busy days when you’re going from the time your feet hit the floor in the morning. Or, as equally likely, on those days when your kids are otherwise occupied and you have excellent intentions of cleaning and organizing your house and doing all those little things that are so much easier to do when you don’t have little helpers underfoot. And then you discover that there’s an America’s Next Top Model marathon and you’re suddenly overcome with staged drama and the overwhelming urge to mock Tyra Banks mercilessly and then you’re suddenly an hour away from dinner and you do not have the time or desire to make homemade bread. That’s cool, too. And completely hypothetical.

For these rolls, you’ll need frozen yeast rolls (I use Rhodes), butter, fresh garlic, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese. You know…I really love fresh Parmesan a lot, but there’s kind of something strangely satisfying about using canned Parmesan cheese here. I can’t explain it, and these are delicious either way, but I won’t judge you for using canned Parmesan cheese or for watching America’s Next Top Model. Promise.

Place a stick of butter and about 4-5 cloves of minced or pressed garlic in a microwave-safe dish and heat until the butter is melted. Add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning and whisk it all together. Place 20 frozen dough balls in a large bowl…

drizzle the butter/cheese mixture over the rolls and then quickly toss the dough in the butter mixture, coating them evenly.

Place the cheesed and buttered dough in a 9×13″ pan…

and allow them to rise according to the package directions until doubled. Bake according to package directions–for Rhodes rolls, I baked them at 350 for about 15-18 minutes or until they were evenly golden on top.

I have to tell you guys that the dinner that accompanied these rolls inspired an epic dinnertime battle between my children and me, not because they hated dinner (although who knows, maybe they did), but because I wouldn’t let them eat just these for dinner. If you can, serve them warm because they will knock your socks off.

Emily Siple says:

I have all that stuff in my house. I am excited to make them with dinner tomorrow. Thanks for your constant amazingness! love you girls . . .

ButterYum says:

Super quick and easy! Why didn’t I ever think of this?!!

leslie says:

Yum Yum Yum…love the semi home-made rolls!!!

Homemade or not…those rolls look delicious!!

Brittnee says:

This is a good side for garlic alfredo chicken pasta! I might make these this week.

Keri says:

I make these all of the time (minus the garlic) and it is surprising but they taste better with the parmesan from the can and not freshly grated parmesan. It’s rare that fresh parmesan isn’t superior but it truly is the case that the canned variety is better for these rolls.

Aubri says:

I agree! I have been making these parm cheese rolls for years, and they are definitely better with the powdered cheese…who knew? I usually roll them in melted butter and then the cheese…but it’s a good idea to drizzle it on! I’ll also have to try adding the garlic and Italian seasoning! Sounds delish! I always throw them together right before church, and then they’re just about ready to pop in the oven when I get home. They are soooo yummy with crock pot beef stew in the winter time!

Dezi A says:

Yum! I’m totally making these tonight. (Now I have to decide what to make with them.) You have “Add the Italian Seasoning” in 2 different spots on the printable recipe… not that it really matters, cause we can all figure it out, but just wanted to let you know. :)

Patti says:

If you won’t judge me for all that other stuff, I’m hoping you also won’t judge me if I use powdered garlic instead of garlic cloves. If not, then these are going on the table tonight with Pasta Primavera!
    P.S. It’s so impressive that someone out there (you) can use you’re and your in the same sentence correctly. You’re so smart with your English!

Emily E says:

A way to dress up rhoades rolls?! I’m totally on it.

mandy says:

I had a good giggle about the Americas Next Top Model bit. I don’t know why those marathons suck me in so quickly. Yea for Rhodes rolls… I just wished they sold the giant Costco size packages here in Las Vegas. These will be a perfect addition to dinner tonight.

Jenny says:

If you’re ever in Salt Lake, I’ll have to hook you up with some frozen rolls from Schmidt’s Pastry Cottage. It’s my husband’s families bakery. Their frozen rolls are way better than rhodes! You’ll love them! Can’t wait to dress mine up with some buttery garlic goodness!!

Patti says:

I see that Schmidt’s is opening a store where Madeleine’s used to be- does that mean they are closing the store on Redwood? I didn’t know you could buy frozen dough from them. Great idea!

• Jenny says:

Yes Patti! You are right! We have been working as fast as we can to have the new location (1133 W. South Jordan Parkway) open by the first part of Oct! They’ll still keep the Taylorsville retail front open, but will move production to South Jordan. They sell frozen parker house and frozen butterflake rolls. You seriously have to try them! And I’m not just being biased :) They really do blow Rhodes Rolls out of the water! You should stop in our new location when it’s open to see what you think! It’s going to look AMAZING :)

JLSW says:

I have to agree that there are situations where the canned cheese is better, too. I am going to try these this weekend!

NanAppetit says:

Looks easy and delicious!

Nicole Krell says:

I will definitely try this recipe. Our ward gets super busy this time of year with lots of activities, so this is at the top of my list to try. (America’s Next Top Model is my guilty pleasure too, so I definitely won’t judge you for watching it.)

Pam says:

Great idea. They look divine. Can’t wait to try them. One question–these are quick? The prep is quick but I find that it takes HOURS for the rolls to thaw and rise. I have to get them ready in the morning if we want to eat them for dinner. Any ideas for quicker ways to make them rise?

shannon says:

If you want them to rise quickly, boil a big pot of water and heat your oven to 200 degrees while you’re assembling the rolls. Then when you’re ready to put them in the oven, cover them with some oiled plastic wrap, TURN OFF YOUR OVEN, and put the pot of boiling water on the very bottom oven rack. Put the pan of rolls on a rack right above the pot. They’ll rise in about an hour instead of 5. Just be sure to watch them because they can over-rise very quickly.

Once they’ve risen, just take the pot out and leave the rolls in while the oven preheats to bake them.

Nancy says:

I put my rolls on the hearth with my gas log on. They get huge. And when they all look like they belong to Dolly Parton, I put them in the oven!

Brandy says:

I love all of your recipes, but your stories are the best! That’s what makes this site and your cookbook so great!! Love you guys!

Amanda says:

Just a quick question. Where exactly might I be able to find said frozen dinner rolls (not the store but the section of the frozen foods aisle). Would they be over with, say, the frozen Texas toast type things? I’m asking because I have never noticed that my store carries these.

Michele N says:

Most stores have a frozen dough section, separate from the frozen bread(Texas toast, garlic bread). A lot of times it’s near frozen breakfast or pies. The section also includes Rhodes frozen cinnamon rolls among others. Walk up & down the freezer aisles looking at all the doors and you’ll be amazed at what you find in there.

Jana says:

I really think I could get on board with these!! They look fabulous & oh so easy to make. Have you ever tried them with the Rhodes Whole Wheat rolls?? Just wondering. Can’t wait to try them!

shannon says:

You had me at “mock Tyra Banks mercilessly”.

amanda says:

I’ve been making these for years (something my grandma taught me) and I actually prefer them to homemade rolls. They are so yummy I could probably eat a whole pan for dinner myself. Thanks for sharing!

Sara Wutzke says:

Yum! I had half a bag of those in my freezer! Since I only had 12 left, I just used an 8×8 glass pan, can’t wait to pair these with spaghetti tonight!

Jerilyn Figueroa says:

I too have been making these for years and I prefer the Rhodes rolls because they are so much easier and quicker. I put my rolls in a bundt pan and they turn out like pull-apart rolls. Very pretty, yummy and moist…especially when you turn them over onto a plate and the buttery goodness drizzles all over the top.

Danielle M says:

these look so yummy. . . and we are bread people. i make bread several times a week – thank you bread maker :)

Sydney says:

You read my mind – I just hopped on to your site to see if you had any recommendations for some type of quick roll/breadstick to go with our spaghetti tonight and voila! Thank you for saving me from my poor planning!

garysgirl says:

I want these. Like right now.

Mrs. S says:

You can never go wrong with butter and garlic.

Yippee for easy recipes! Thanks Kate!

Cynthia says:

These are in my oven right now and they smell amazing!

Patti says:

I made these tonight. My adult daughter said she felt like a kid because she just wanted to eat the rolls. I had to laugh because you said your kids wanted to do the same thing! These were SO good she ate six of them and didn’t even touch her steak. Thanks for an easy to make, but extravagant-tasting roll.

Margaret says:

I love homemade rolls, but never seem to have time to make them! This I can do! Thanks so much for sharing so many wonderful recipes and tips!!!

Chrissy says:

These were SO SO GOOD!!!! I actually had Rhodes rolls in my freezer because I found them last week on clearance at Target for $1.28 for a 36 count bag! I only used 10 and put them in an 8×8 dish (this was because I was low on parmesan cheese). I don’t normally buy Rhodes rolls, but I should more often–Rhodes is my maiden name. :)

Teeny Jones says:

bought your calender today! so, so cute! can’t wait to try the recipes!!!!!!! these rolls look delish!

Tracy lawson says:

These make me want to break out the tomatoes and start putting the spaghetti sauce together…..they look amazing, a must try for sure.

I actually use this same exact method for crusty baguettes, heat them in the oven then slice them open to make yummy sandwiches while they are still warm! :-)

Jenelle says:

Had them last night with dinner! Delicious!! I have to admit I ate 3 before dinner even started! I buy a large bag from Costco and then separate them into one dozen bags and vacuum pack them with my food saver. So I only made 12 rolls and cut this recipe in half and there was just enough to coat the rolls. Thanks ladies!

teresa says:

Oh man…I’m pinning this today…so I will have it forever. Love it

Oh wow, these look amazing! And like the easiest way every to be a “fancy hostess” at the last minute!

Will definitely be making!

How could these not be delicious? Rhodes Rolls are wonderful and with the cheese and garlic and butter… mmm :) I will definitely need to try these.

Lauren says:

I just made this, but I made home dinner rolls. These are so good.

Megan says:

My Mom has made these exact rolls for as long as I can remember, but she always told me they were the Magelby’s and Magelby’s fresh rolls. These are always a hit whenever I make them for any get togethers.

Karina says:

I didn’t used the Italian seasoning but still these rolls are so good.!!!!..it was perfect for my Italian dinner tonight. Thank you for sharing these recipes! :)

Julie says:

I made these tonight and they were so yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

My brother recommended I would possibly like this blog. He was once entirely right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t believe just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

Courtney Jensen says:

I also make these rolls but I press a little cube of cheese in the center of the dough and then roll the roll back into a ball then dip in the butter mixture. So yummy!

Kelly says:

Just tried this for dinner. It was easy and it worked perfectly! I ended up having it since it was just the two of us, and we still ended up eating them all! Yikes. A great way to easily add a little variety to our dinner menu! thanks!

Marlo says:

Oh my gosh, these rolls are amazing! I doubled the recipe and made them 2 weekends ago. I’ve already received 2 separate requests for them. My brother in law requested them for dinner this past weekend and my 16 year old nephew requested them for Thanksigiving. Thanks again for another wonderful recipe.

Nellie says:

As someone who has baked homemade bread ever since I was a kid, it hurts to have to admit that these rolls are becoming a household favorite. I was unimpressed the first time I purchased frozen bread dough, however, this recipe dresses them up enough that they have lots of flavor. For a convenient, last-minute bread, these are awesome!

Sarah says:

Have this prepping for dinner – I’m excited for an easy-peasy recipe for garlic rolls. My husband will think I slaved over them. LOL :)

Martha S. says:

I’m making this for our supper group this weekend! Can’t wait!

Jenn says:

These sound delish! I think they’re too dangerous to make though…I don’t have anyone else to help me eat them!

Kathy says:

I have one question. By Italian Seasoning, do you mean the packaged kind that makes Italian Dressing? Or just the Italian seasoning that is in the spice aisle? Thanks!

mini says:

Hi kate,
    Can I make these from scratch using 1 hour dinner rolls recipe?