Something about September triggers my I’m-totally-obsessed-with-autumn side.  I started getting out my fall decorations this past week and put some of my favorite fall-ish meals on the menu with plans to share them with you.  Then Saturday rolled around and as I sat in 97 (yes, ninety-flipping-seven) degree weather, sweating my rear off while watching my son’s football game I decided there was absolutely no way I was going home to cook soup.  So we stopped at the store for ice cream ingredients instead.  Oh autumn, I guess you’ll just have to wait a little bit longer.

You might remember our one ingredient ice cream which is a pretty good fake out.  The difference here is that this is real ice cream.  And it only requires this:

Okay so technically this too:

But I’m not counting that, because this is even great if you forget the vanilla.  The best part about this ice cream is that you can make it with our without an ice cream maker!  And, you can add any flavors or add-ins you like.  (Check out our friend Amanda’s to-die-for flavor combos for this same recipe)  I’m making good ol’ fashioned vanilla, and I’m going to show you the freezer method.

Just dump out your sweetened condensed milk into a mixing bowl

and add some vanilla

Now if you’re using an ice cream machine, all you do is stir in the cream or half and half and pop in the machine.  If you aren’t using an ice cream maker, then you just need to whip the cream first.

Does this sound familiar?  We’re basically doing the same thing as my Creamy Fruit Freeze.

Then just fold the whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture.  You don’t want to just dump it in and stir.  To fold means to take a little bit at a time, and gently move your rubber spatula from the bottom of the bowl, around up to the top.  This keeps the fluffy air in the cream as opposed to deflating it while stirring.

At this point you can add in anything you like: fresh fruit, crushed cookies, spices, extracts, etc.  Or leave it plain jane like me.  Not that I’m plain.  My ice cream is.  If we’re talking about me, then I’m more like marshmallow fudge ripple with peanut butter cups and sprinkles.  With a side of bacon.

Just place your container in the freezer until the ice cream is firm; at least 6 hours.  Then scoop ‘er up.

Experiment with different flavors- we love crushed oreos, mashed banana, fresh strawberry, cinnamon-graham cracker with apple pie filling, peanutbutter banana with chocolate chips, nutella, you can’t really go wrong here, folks!

Good ol’ fashioned caramel from a jar works just fine too :)

Jess T says:

Oooh! I can’t wait to try this. I have an ice cream maker but it is really old and makes a shrieking sound as it churns that freaks out my dogs and makes them pee in the house, so I don’t use it. I’ve been looking for a recipe that doesn’t need the darn machine. Thank you!

Oh.My.Golly. We absolutely love ice cream, and I cannot wait to try this. Do you know how many servings this makes? Thanks so much for sharing. Happy Monday! ☺

Thank you! I don’t have an ice cream maker and vanilla is my favorite :)

I think i must have a go at this. I’ve made it with cream and natural yoghurt but the last time i made it i wasn’t keen so change of ingredients and away we go :)

Patti says:

I just checked out the Eagle Brand website through the link you provided. Wow- how fun! All I needed was a million more recipes to try out…Thanks, Sara!
    P.S. How did the football game go? Are the parents getting any nicer?

Lol, YES! I guess it was that one specific team we played, it was their Moms who were crazy ladies! Saturday’s game was lovely (besides being scorching hot) and the parents were normal!

Hi. I found your site from another blogger last night…OMG…I love your blog. I was up til 2am reading entry after entry. I feel a cooking frenzy coming on!! Your blog is witty and I love the step by step pics. Fabulous! So glad I found you. *GRIN*

Melissa says:

I’ve been dying for an ice cream maker so I can try out some of your ice cream recipes. But it’s just another clunky gadget to store in my already-too-small-and-over-filled kitchen. Now I don’t need one, woo-hoo! I’m making this today (I live in FL and ice cream is still a YES here for a couple of months.)

I’m going to weigh 500 pounds! This looks great!
    Two FUNN thumbs up!

Alli Blue says:

Hello!!!! Looks so divine and easy! Maybe a good family night treat! Have the “littles” help during the day and all the “bigs” can enjoy it that night!!!

Mindy says:

Tried this off of Amandas Blog – it is AMAZING!!! Of course added a few extras in :-)

Mark Petersen says:

The problem with using sweetened condensed milk is that I am a pig and will just eat it by itself. I’m 6 feet tall and weigh 145 lbs but based on my eating habits, I should look like Jabba the Hut.

Connie Hamblin says:

Where did you get the penquin spoons?

Julie Smith says:

I love everyone’s comments! So funny. This recipe sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it :)

YAY, ice cream without the machine I don’t have! And with sweetened condensed milk, one of my favorite things ever. Can’t wait to try this, thank you!

Alyssa says:

Why ‘O why do you post these while I’m on a DIET?? Oh well, 20 lbs down makes it easy to resist, but I’m definitely going to make it for the hubs with diced Mango mixed in. :)

Amanda says:

I was just looking at ice cream makers over the weekend, wondering if I should ask for one for Christmas. Looks like I don’t have to! You ladies rock; I’m totally trying this. :)

Kathy says:

Is it possible to make it with fat-free half and half? I didn’t even know you could whip half and half, to tell the truth.

You only use half and half if you’re using an ice cream maker, and you don’t whip anything, you just pour it in. I’ve never tried it with the fat free; you’d have to experiment!

lori says:

this ice cream is absolutely divine.It leaves the store bought in the dust.

Angie says:

YUM! I can’t wait to try it! I’ve had the same dilema as many on here-totally want homemade, but don’t have a machine. I have made it in tin cans and plastic bags-was ging to do one of those just to have some homemade-now it looks like it will be even easier.! Thanks!

Barbara says:

I’ve recently made a condensed milk ice cream, but I added fruit and nuts to it so I can’t say it was two ingredients. What I can say is that is was fabulous!

Lyndsay Bodily says:

Are you kidding me? That looks awesome! Plus, I can totally use my “homemade” (from instant milk) sweetened condesnsed milk!! Your “Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake” just came out of my oven (waiting for it to cool so I can frost it). I think we will add this to tonight’s FHE treat!! Thank you!!! (I think…Once I have my weigh-in Wed. morning I may be cursing you…)

Sharr says:

i.love.you.
    the end.

Jenn says:

Holy Yumminess!! I even have the stuff to MAKE THIS ONE!!!! :)

I can’t wait to try it. And I’m a cookies and cream kinda gal myself :)

lacey says:

WOW!! that looks delish!!! Cant wait to try it!!

Claire says:

This just looks TOO easy! I’m going to have to try it. Maybe I’ll bring it to work with me next week…it’ll make the 13 hour night shift go faster!!!

Hollie says:

It’s too bad when I went to share it on FB that it showed a different picture than the ice cream, I was hoping for a gentle reminder to make it. lol It looks really yummy. I hope to try this some time. :)

dodi says:

FABULOUS!!!!! Thank you for sharing!! :)

Pam says:

Love your blog. Wish I had the time and the skinny body to make all your recipes!!!!

I love this idea! How delightfully simple. Thanks for sharing!

Kim says:

I was just thinking this morning how it’s so sad that I am thrilled that it’s ONLY going to be in the 90′s this week. And how nice and cool that sounds. I’m in Vegas and we love it when the temps start to stay under 100. Pretty sad that a”cool”morning is sometimes hotter than some places’ hottest temperatures. Anyway, thanks for the recipe. We made homemade ice cream just the other day. One quick question. How does this freeze? Does it stay relatively soft or does it get pretty icy/firm? Thanks!

Kimberley says:

OK….I love you guys!!

Deb says:

Hi, I love this! Thought I would share my own extra easy ice creams, published in my weekly newspeper column. I make Hazelnut Chocolate using only equal parts Nutella and evaporated milk, and Creamy Coconut with equal parts CoCo Lopez (coconut cream) and evaporated milk. With all my faux ice creams, I whisk them well and then let them set overnight in the fridge, to prechill and to get extra smooth. Makes all the difference. I serve the Hazelnut Chocolate with toasted hazelnuts and corsely ground Himalayan pink salt.

Terrie says:

oh…my….goodness….

Lauren says:

Wow… you might have just saved my freezer (and wallet) from my ice cream obsession. I have a habit of being like “I feel like triple fudge ripple” so then I go and buy it, have one serving, and it sits in the freezer… until a few months later when I suddenly have that craving again, and the ice cream’s gone all hard and gooey.

Doesn’t sound too bad, but when I have two completely different ice cream cravings each week… it gets bad. Bad enough that we have a separate freezer (half the size of the big one, but still…) just for frozen deserts.

Melinda says:

I have some churning in the ice cream maker right now! We couldn’t decide between vanilla and chocolate so we went with making vanilla and busting out the chocolate sause to top it off. Thanks!

Gina says:

haha I’m in Austin and ecstatic that we are finally under 100 degrees at a “lovely” 98. Now if only it would rain so my grass wouldn’t be so crunchy. So I’m kinda glad you’re not posting fall recipes, it would only make me sad. But I do have half a can of sweetened cond. milk needing a purpose and saving me from drinking it straight. thanks

Teresa says:

Here’s one of my favorite easy ice cream recipes. I hope you’ll try it!
    STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
    1 container (24 ounces) frozen sweetened strawberries, chopped into large (frozen) chunks
    ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
    1 ½ cups (12 ounces) heavy cream

Place frozen berries in a blender. Whisk sugar into cream. With blender running, slowly add cream-sugar mixture, stopping to stir 3 or 4 times, until ice cream is smooth with small bits of strawberries. Transfer to an ice-cream freezer and freeze until soft-serve consistency (maybe you could just skip this step, or add whipped cream at this point). Place in airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours. Garnish with fresh strawberries if desired.

Jeannette D. says:

Made this for FHE. WOW. It was awesome. It will change my ice cream inhaling habit forever!

Kristen says:

Delicious! We made it yesterday after lunch and ate it for dessert- Yummy! It is so creamy, very similar to store bought. We mixed crushed oreos into ours. Even my picky ice cream eaters in the family loved it. I may have to go running again today so I can eat some more later. This is definitely on our to make again list.

Angela says:

I hear you about the weather. I actually made a stew Monday. I just love soups and stews in the fall. But I needed a crockpot meal because of our schedule. So we get home from swimming lessons and have stew for dinner. My kids wondered about my sanity.

Mistie Barfus says:

I just tried a copycat recipe for a homemade frosty that calls for a quart of chocolate milk and a can of sweetened condensed milk mixed in your ice cream maker so kinda the same concept as this recipe. It was actually pretty good and my family devoured it. Especially good considering that years ago I tried a recipe for homemade frostys that called for spraying cooking spray in it as one of the ingredients. Um, yea….not so good. My husband and I were both burping cooking spray flavored burps for the next couple of days. Gross!!! ANYWAY, we will have to try this recipe because we love us some ice cream at our house–as long as it doesn’t involve cooking spray!

Elaine says:

This ice cream sounds so good and creamy, (as well as fattening) Going to mix it up tonight for family tomorrow

Mandee says:

Ice cream looks yummy, but OMG – where did those cute spoons come from? My 2 year old would LOVE those!!!

Jessica Carter says:

I made this last week with crushed oreos. SO GOOD! My husband agrees it’s even better than regular ice cream. Have you tried it with fat free sweetened condensed milk to cut down on the fat content? I’m wondering if it would work/taste as good.

Sharon says:

I made the cinnamon bun ice cream, and the nutella peanut butter chip from teh blog you recommended! Really good! I think I might cut back on the butter next time, as it kind of left a film in my mouth! This recipe is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Mary says:

Could I modify the recipes you guys have posted for apple pie ice cream and/or cherry chocolate ice cream by using this as the base?

So if you make it the freezer way, you have to use the whipping cream, not half and half, right? Just making sure. I bought half and half last night before thoroughly reading the directions so I just want to double check.

tish says:

I think I’m going to try it but thought I would ask first. Have you ever used the light or reduced fat version of the cream and half n half and condensed milk. I just wonder how it would turn out?

Never tried it tish! I’m sure the sweetened condensed milk would be just fine low fat, but the half and half I’m not sure about. Those sometimes do funny things in recipes. If you’re doing the freezer version, you definitely need to use regular whipping cream though, no question.

summer says:

WHAT?? this looks AMAZING. Getting ready for fall RIGHT now!

Crystal says:

CANNOT wait to make this over the weekend! made sure to pin this fab recipe on Pinterest too….y’all rock so hard with all of your amazing recipes! big hugs from a gal w/a happy tummy!

Jenn says:

Holy freaking cow. I had no idea you could make ice cream like this. No. Idea. Thank you so much for making my life a little better. :D

Sarah Bast says:

I just want you cute ladies to know how much I love this site! You have renewed my love for cooking! I have tried a few things and all have been exceptional! Thank you for taking time out of your day of being a hard working mother to make all us ladies look like amazing cooks! I love it! Thank you a million times over. I will be purchasing your cook book and calendar soon! Did I put enough exclamation points to let you know how I feel? LOL! I really mean it! Thank you!

Rebekah says:

Could you put Carmel or chocolate syrup in before you freeze it?
    Because my family loves chocolate ice cream an I wanted to make it at home for them.
    Thanks for posting this recipe!

Lisa D. says:

Sounds delicious!

Claire says:

so cool! i want to make this ice cream & i have no kids ;) just a hungry college kid!

Mandy says:

Just made the freezer version and added about a cup of mini chocolate chips (husband and daughter’s favorite). Can’t wait to try it out tonight!

Tracey L says:

Made a batch and cannot wait until after dinner!

Nancy says:

I used this to make an icecream cake for my son’s birthday…it was soooo yummmy!

Shauna says:

Do you have a chocolate version? I love the vanilla!

Camille says:

I made this yesterday. I only had one cup of the heavy whipping cream, so I halved the recipe… then used the other half of the milk to make “magic cookie bars” (recipe on the can). I’m not too ashamed to say that they are DIVINE together. LOL.

Alexis says:

I tried this yesterday and oh-my-yum I’m never buying store bought vanilla ice cream again!

bob says:

This is just ridiculous. Insanely easy and ubergood. I had a hard time *not* eating all the mixture before I froze it. I figured if the spatula tasted that good, I can’t wait for the frozen version.

I put some on top of some hot homemade applesauce (also insanely easy) and it’s almost a crime how good it is.

BTW, the mixture can be frozen, then left to thaw on the counter over night, then refrozen the next day. Just ask my teenager. He’s lucky it refroze successfully.

Renata says:

That’s so clever! I will have to try it very soon. My husband is an ice cream lover, and I can’t wait to try many different flavors. Thanks so much for sharing!

Paula says:

How am I 36 years old and just now hearing about this “no machine necessary” method?!? I bought a quart of Whipping Cream and my four year-old and I made two batches. One vanilla with mini chocolate chips the other (which turned out a little soft) I added cherry flavoring, pineapple flavoring and about 2/3 cup peach mango jam from Costco. I was skeptical, as was the rest of the fam, but lo and behold, it was indeed ice cream! And it was delicious.

Paula says:

Update, I checked on the one we made with jam the following day and it did end up totally solid, but still a little too sweet. (Sugar in the jam was smallkine overkill–not inedible, mind you, it IS ice cream after all.)

Anita says:

Loved this! We made it for FHE and I divided it into lots of little containers so the kids could do their own flavor serving–we had nutella peanut butter, pumpkin, pina colada, almond with butterscotch chips, mint chocolate–what an easy yummy treat!

Rachel Hatch says:

I made this for everyone who came to my house to watch conference today and everyone loved it! and when I told them how simple it is to make they loved it even more!!! Thanks so much!

Lezlie Rein says:

I just tried the boil-a-can-of-condensed milk caramel. It is going to be soooo good over this ice cream!!

Carlin says:

I am so amazed that this comes out looking just like ice cream out of a carton! I can’t believe how perfect the texture is. It is really good, too. But REEEEEAAAAALLLY rich. My husband loves ice cream and can usually down half a carton in one sitting. He had a few scoops of this and it kinda made him sick. He has such a tough stomach to sweetness so that surprised me. I could only have a few bites too before it was too much. Are we weird?

terri says:

ooohhh emmm geeeee! i am running to the grocery store to buy these 2, or er…3 ingredients.
    i just read your post about the SMUCKERS thingy you guys were at this past week. so glad you got to try farenheit. seriously is my fav restaurant….i live in cleveland!! xo

Rebecca says:

I have what I need at home. Will be making this tonight. Then will top the apple pie in a jar. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Karen S. says:

I love you. I love you. I love you! This ice cream almost brings me to tears! I have soy allergies (among other things) and up until about 6 mos ago, I only could eat Breyers Ice Cream or the ever expensive Haagen Daas. Breyers recently began adding “natural flavors” to their ice creams (all flavors), which are soy derived and I began getting sick. When I discovered what Breyers had done, I stopped eating ice cream. I love ice cream. Have all of my life. Thank you so very much for bringing back some joy to my life! I got an ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer and won’t even have to use it now, with this recipe. Thank you oh so very much! This ice cream is rich, delicious, and oh-so-creamy!

dija says:

love the recipe, love the website. thank you for inspiring a ‘detest the kitchen’ teenager :)

Diane says:

I made this for a women’s ice cream social along with your strawberry syrup, and caramel sauce. All was a hit!!! Thanks so much!

Nikki says:

Will try this tomorrow! :)

Mj says:

Super excited about this! I’ve been looking for an easy and delicious ice cream that I can make in the freezer, since we live in a TINY apartment and have no extra room. Added some vanilla bean and going to suprise my husband with this and fresh blackberries tonight! Thanks!

Carley says:

I love this website all my kids love making food whit me now

jill says:

made this today with my family, and added choc. chip cookie dough and peanut butter cups. very tasty! will definitely be making again sometime!

Holly Burke says:

I’ve made this several times with different add-ins and each time it is SOOOO good! I’m pregnant right now and the only kind of ice cream I want is the creamy kind, like from ColdStone or Marble Slab…store bought won’t do! (I know, weird.) But this recipe definitely satisfies my cravings. It’s so yummy! I love that it’s so easy to make, and the fact that I don’t need an ice cream machine. I just put some vanilla flavored in the freezer to go with the homemade apple pie (from this site as well) that we’ll be having for dessert tonight. I can’t wait! You guys are amazing! I love your site!

I’ve been making this ice cream for several months now, and I have really enjoyed experimenting with different flavors. I have one question, though: I tried mixing in some cocoa powder to make chocolate ice cream. It tasted just like what I buy at the store! Only problem was, it never got the texture/hardness of normal ice cream. I had made a vanilla the same day (as a back up in case that experiment went horribly wrong) and it came out perfect as usual, so I know the issue was not the temperature of freezer. Do you have any suggestions for how to turn this into a chocolate ice cream?

ashley says:

I make this all the time its great I add oreos :)

Lyn Rae Blizzard says:

As soon as I discovered this recipe, I keep it on hand at all times in the freezer. I serve it to my one-year-old on a daily basis as part of my program to “fatten her up” a bit; she is extremely lean. But Mama takes little tastes, too- this stuff is heavenly! I am intrigued about adding fruit, but I want to go beyond just adding fruit chunks as I’d like the flavor to completely permeate the ice cream. I’m dreaming of peach puree in addition to peach chunks, but I’m unsure how much to add…I don’t want it to change the consistency. I toyed with the idea of the creamy fruit freeze, but I love the taste and texture of the ice cream so much and I’m worried I won’t get the same taste. Any suggestions for how much puree to add? I am using the no ice cream maker version. Thanks in advance- adore your blog!!