It’s here it’s here, it’s finally here!  Fall weather has officially arrived in my city and I couldn’t be happier.  I broke out my fall decorations a little later than usual this year but things are finally coming together.  I posted a bunch of pictures on The Scoop today, so click here if you want to check it out. (And see the end of this post for an explanation of what “The Scoop” is!)  For all of you craft-haters, go browse this section today and find something delicious!

You all should know by now that I need a wreath for every occasion.  I keep a wreath hanger on the inside of my front door, so I like to switch it out all the time.  I have a fantastic feather wreath that I love for fall, but I wanted something just for Halloween that wasn’t too goofy/juvenile/corny/etc.  I saw this black ribbon wreath and fell in love, but when I went to look for ribbon I quickly realized that was going to turn into one pricy little wreath!  But then I noticed the giant spools of tulle for half price so I grabbed a bunch of black and decided to do something similar.  I love how it turned out, and you could really do a lot of fun variations of this same style, but I’ll show you what I did for Halloween.  The bonus is, you don’t have to be crafty at ALL to pull this one off.  If you can tie a knot, you’re set!  This would be super cute and fun to do with a kids group even, with little mini wreaths!

There are a few optional supplies, but really the only things you have to have is a styrofoam wreath form and some tulle.  Normally I use 12-18″ wreath forms, but for this you’ll want a small 8 inch one.  It looks tiny, but in the end it will appear much larger, so it’s better to start out with something small!  I had 2 spools of tulle that were 50 yards each and I used almost all of it.  That sounds like a lot, but tulle is pretty cheap and it comes with a ton!  I also double layered it, so if you don’t do that it might stretch a little farther.  Find tulle at craft or fabric stores, or even at Walmart with the Wilton cake decorating/wedding supplies.  I actually love the texture of the Wilton brand tulle.

Start by cutting strips of tulle.  I will tell you, it’s easier to try out a few and then determine a length you like.  Cut them all the same length and then you’ll have less trimming to do later, and your wreath will be nice and even.  I wanted a little more coverage, and found that it worked well to do a double layer of tulle for each tie.

Just start to tie the pieces right around your wreath.  Easy peasy.  Messy knot, square knot, whatever.  I did this while watching TV (how happy am I that fall tv is starting up again?!  So happy.)  This is a great tv project.

Then as you finish ties, you’ll push them all together.  You can make this really full and tight, or a little looser.  Obviously the tighter you push the ties together, the more tulle you’ll need.  I found I liked mine pretty tight.

This is why you start with a tiny wreath form; the tulle adds about 3-5 inches all the way around.  Look how awesome it looks when it’s all full:

You could definitely leave it at this point; it would be super cute tied up with a big orange bow.  Or I think it would look awesome in a little girls room with a bright pink bow and a pink flower or something.  Sort of like an edgy tutu.

But you know I have a slightly problematic addiction to accessorizing.  So I can’t leave it like that.  I went to the craft store and grabbed a bunch of random things in the color palette I was working in:  Black, orange, and purple.  I think gray would look good in there too; and even green and/or teal.

I absolutely love this ribbon.  Super wide, wire edged, and shimmery orange and yellow.

So I whipped up some quick ribbon flowers using this tutorial.  As I was doing that I was imagining a Rosette Wreath covered in just these orange flowers and tied with a black ribbon- that would be so gorgeous!

I think the trick when doing a project like this is to mix a lot of different textures and materials for visual interest.  Silk flowers, for example, can go from stunning to tacky in a heart beat.  But these gorgeous purple ones look awesome when placed among ribbon and feathers and all sorts of other things.  You can usually find black roses around this time of year too; I’m loving those for this project!

I knew I definitely wanted feathers, so I was really happy to find a purple and black feathery thing (check the floral section of the craft store), and doesn’t the black thing on the left look like a hairy spider??  Guess where I found that?  In the hair accessory department.  Totally serious.  Little fake birds with real feathers are sort of creepy and sort of cute all at the same time so I grabbed a couple of those.  How I could I turn down one that had a purple glitter tummy??  (Also, as a side note, the photo below looks like the little creepy cute bird just witnessed the demise of his creepy cute parents, doesn’t it?)

From there, just start playing around with things and place them on your wreath.  Definitely place before gluing!

When you’re sure where things are going, then grab a hot glue gun and have at it.

And hopefully you’ll end up with something that’s sort of frilly and fun, yet edgy and classy at the same time.  Like Gwen Stefani.

I totally love mine!

And the tulle is super easy to trim up if you get all finished and realize one side is totally longer than the other.  Like mine.

Happy Crafting!

This is so amazing. I love pops of color against black, and this is perfect! I might actually make a wreath now. About how long would you say a beginner should set aside for this project?

Thanks for the inspiration!

Heather, I did mine a little bit at a time over a couple of days. Maybe a couple of hours? I’m timing via TV here and thinking you could probably have it done in the time a movie is over, lol. Once you get your tulle cut it goes pretty fast.

Emily Siple says:

Oh my goodness, I cant tell you how much I love this. If i lived any closer you would have to watch out. i would be snagging that from your front door. ( T-P Bandits on the Prowl ) Off to Michaels, i am going in the morning! Darling!

NaDell says:

What a fun wreath! They even have tulle at Dollar Tree (and some wreath forms there too).

ooh, I hadn’t thought about the dollar store NaDell; thanks for the tip! I forgot they had wreath forms too; those can be expensive sometimes.

• RSHUE says:

The ones from the Dollar Tree are super small, I would think your finished wreath would only be about 10 inches.
        I have never seen tulle at ours.

Perdita says:

OH I LOVE THIS IDEA! Ribbon is so expensive and fiddly, this tuille idea is easy and really effective (I love while-u-watch-TV craft). I’m tempted to make versions for all sorts of different festivals. You’d just need different colour tuille.

Myrnie says:

Love it, Sara! Have you seen papermart.com? Dangerous place :) Check out their ribbon section.. Or packaging… :)

Love this! Thanks for the great How-To. Can’t wait to get started!

Brooke says:

I love that! I’m so making that this year.

Okay, wait. I thought the home improvement giveaway winners were posted today….? Did I miss it in the post?

I am totatlly loving this wreath. I am sure you could make one for each season/holiday?!?

Kriss says:

Oh My Word Sara! How stinkin’ cool is that?!!! My girlfriends and I are stamping this weekend, but I’m thinking we may be making some Halloween wreaths now! I just found one of these wreaths in my storage cabinet the other night, and had no idea why I had bought it, SCORE! Thanks so much for sharing all of your fabulous ideas!!

Jenna says:

Oh my gosh, you win. Your tulle wreath is way better than mine!

PINNING.

Amy G. says:

Oh my cuteness!!! I am so not a crafty person but I’m getting more interested in doing things and this looks like something I could totally do! I’m even thinking about doing one for different holidays. How cute would a Valentines Day one be?? ADORABLE!!

Honestly, you do not need to have a single ounce of craftiness to make one of these. As long as you can tie a knot, you’re good! I’m already thinking of Valentines Day too!

Kendra says:

“…like Gwen Stefani…” LOL I love this wreath! I want to make it.

Meagan Cook says:

I literally just finished one of these last night. I made mine with black, orange, neon purple and neon green tulle and I put a painted wooden witch hat, frankenstien and ghost on it. It turned out super cute. I love the all black on yours though.

Nikki says:

I’m totally going to make a fall version. Have brown and orange tulle already!! Thanks for the inspiration!! Hobby Lobby here I come!

Tracy Lawson says:

Oh my gosh, this is soooo cute! I love that!

Trista says:

That is the most gorgeous thing I’v ever seen. So lush and pretty. Can’t wait to stop at Hobby Lobby tomorrow!!

I like it more than the ribbon one. Next to yours the ribbon looks drab. Cute!

Claire says:

pretty! it looks almost like feathers. a few feathers might make it cool too

Definitely my favorite Halloween craft idea so far. So much fun to customize (the birds are awesome) and so easy. Thanks!

Lauren Hitchcock says:

Where did you buy the orange ribbon? It’s so pretty!

I LOVE your wreath! I think I’m going to have to make one, too. Oh, and genius idea to put it on the inside of your door – that is awesome!

Valerie says:

Well shoot! I’m pretty much in love with this wreath!

Angela says:

Love it!! I am going to make one of these!! Where did you get all of your cute ribbon/flowers/birdie??? :)

I got everything at Hobby Lobby!

Angela says:

You did!? I went there today and didn’t see ANY black roses or awesome orange ribbon like that. (crosses my arms) Humph!!! Haha!

• Ohhh wait- I totally lied! I got *almost* everything at Hobby Lobby. But I picked up the black rose, the birds, and the purple feather at Michael’s Craft Store. Sorry- I forgot about that!

Absolutely LOVE IT!!!! Always love the fun craft posts so keep them in the rotation!

Loni says:

How fun! I’ve been about to make a curtain valance for my kids’ bathroom with tulle tied around a rod, but hadn’t quite ventured there yet because it was all just loose imaginings in my head. But after seeing your demo, I think it might work after all and I’m excited to get going on it. Thanks for sharing your cute creations!

Michelle T says:

Can you estimate what length you cut the tulle? And, what do you mean when you said you used a double layer of tulle? I’m imagining two pieces of tulle per each knot?

grace says:

this is so pretty i cant even stand it! ah!

Katie H says:

Love this, Sara! Are you planning this as a one-year decoration, or do you have a plan for storing it so the tulle doesn’t crumple up?

I will definitely use it over and over! I have rubbermaid wreath storage containers, and I also sometimes cover with a large plastic bag and then hang them in my garage to store.

Carie says:

First, I am the LEAST crafty person ever. But, I do think I might be able to do this. That being said, I am looking online for tulle, and it comes in all different widths. What width do I want?

Hmm, it seems to come in a standard width at the store; I’m thinking it’s about 6 inches? In reality though, it wouldn’t really matter- it would work with any width, a wider tulle would just make wider ties, ya know?

This looks like something you would buy at some fancy boutique. I love it!

Lynn says:

WOW! That’s beautiful! You could even use that to hang up for Mardi Gras time. I love it!

Oh, this is SO pretty and cool looking! What a great idea. I actually like it better than the ribbon one that you linked to. I love decorating for holidays but we don’t have a lot of storage space for decorations, when we buy a house I will definitely have to make wreaths for all seasons though :D This one and the birthday balloon one you made are my favorites!

Love how you accessorized the wreath – very cute!

Vicki V says:

This is SO cute and professional looking!

Heather says:

Anyone else thinking of the Edgar Allen Poe poem, “The Raven”? Just wondering. I love the wreath.

Becky says:

Way cute Sara! Can’t wait to try it.

Brittany says:

I am loving this wreath! And, I love wreaths. Thanks for sharing.

Marie says:

I love it and I bet it would look amazing in fall colors too!

Mel says:

This is the first wreath I have ever made and I love it! It was easy and looks awesome! Thank you for sharing!

I can’t stop thinking about your wreath since you posted it. I think brown tulle with some red and orange mixed in on the top half only then adding a turkey face/head to the center. So the top looks like tail feathers for a custom turkey wreath. it looks awesome in my head. I’ll never get to it this year but if anyone tries it out I want to see a picture!

Nicole Peck says:

I LOVE this wreath!!! I gotta make me one!!

Cindy Alves says:

Made this by taking apart two old bath scrunchies (cleaned) worked just as well and added decorations. Wish I could upload a picture but, alas, the demon children broke it. lol

Jeanene says:

I loved your wreath so much my daughter-in-law & I each made one today. Couldn’t find any spools of black tulle so bought yardage & cut into 6″ strips. It was 54″ wide, so cut 13.5″ pieces. Each wreath took 6 yards of tulle. We are so happy with ours. Thanks bunches for the idea. Wish we had a Hobby Lobby in our city!

Amanda V says:

Love love love this!! I just got my own place and I am obsessed with wreaths and crafty decorations! Will have to try this out :)

Christine says:

Thank you so much for sharing, completed mine tonight! Made it in black and purple, couldn’t find any orange I liked. Our hobby lobby and michael’s Halloween selections were very picked over already, glad I didn’t wait! Love it!

Melissa S says:

What a super neat craft idea!! I really want to make one now! Please make a tulle wreath for Christmas, so we can see the differences in color and styling!

Nice one. Thanks for sharing.

Heather says:

Love the wreath and your orange ribbon is phenomenal!!! Where did you find it?

Marina says:

Love this…going to buy everything I need to make TODAY!!!

Karen says:

I made this last night with a friend and I am totally in love with it. It’s fits for Halloween and October, but isn’t super in your face Halloween! Love Love Love it!!

kristen says:

how did u hang the wreath on the door?

Melanie Curtis says:

This is such a cute idea! I also love wreaths for all occasions (just made a crazy one out of 130+ fabric yo-yos, and am excited to give this tulle wreath a try! Thanks!

Jayme Richards says:

Making one next week. My sister & I bought all the stuff & we’re going to have a GNO! I cannot wait to make it! This wreath is DARLING!

Cristi Gray says:

I love this wreath!! I have been searching youtube for a ribbon rosette like yours and can’t find anything similar. How do you make these, or do you have a link?

Kelly says:

How much did you spend on your flowers and ribbon? and what store? I can’t find anything nearly as cute in ribbon, and flowers are expensive!

Adele says:

ok – this is AWESOME! The accessories totally bump it from cool to fabulous….and THANK YOU for including measurements and details…I had seen another tulle wreath with no measurements, and ended up having to trial & error it – wish I had read your post & comments first!

Here is a helpful hint for you…I ended up cutting my tulle to 12″ (my wreath form – used an embroidery hoop – was thinner) – I took my 12″ paper trimmer (you know those ones you use in all your scrapbooking? :)….) and just wrapped the whole bolt of tulle around it and then chopped through the whole chunk at each end – voila, instant 12″(ish!) pieces! I also have an 18″ plastic ruler in my sewing “stuff” that I use when I make tutus, nice length………hope this helps – I figure anything that makes a craft quicker & simpler is a good thing!

This is absolutely divine! I can not wait to make one of these!!! I blogged about this tutorial, and your amazing blog, on my blog: http://athomewithalley.com/2011/10/19/halloween-tulle-wreath/

Thank you so much for sharing! Everything you do is fabulous!

Melody says:

Oh, dear. You guys are going to get me in trouble again!! I love this project! It could be adapted for ANY holiday!

Hannah P. says:

Thank you so much for this post! I made two wreaths to decorate my apartment and absolutely love them. I never thought I was a crafty person but it appears that I can do okay when I have great directions. Thanks again!

Jessica says:

OMGoodness! This is gorgeous, been thinking of a Halloween wreath…just have a fall leaf one. I am gonna have to replicate this ASAP.

Rebecca says:

Thank you so much! I just finished one in light pink, light purple, and white for my niece who’s due Nov 1. I am so in love with it! I couldn’t find spools of tulle at my local stores so I had to buy it off the bolt and cut it down into strips (UGH! and I’m kicking myself for not finding papermart.com sooner). Cutting into lengths for tying are easy, though. I cut a piece of cardboard to the length I wanted, wrapped the tulle strips around it, and cut it on the ends. It was like making a pom-pom but cutting both ends instead of just one. The next one will be in black for my own daughter’s room, which is decorated in black-and-white damask and yellow. Awesome!

Gloria Barnhouse says:

I loved your wreath so much that I made one. The neighbors loved it and now I want to make another one for Christmas, maybe in burgandy I loved making it.
    Thanks for the beautiful idea

Amy Webster says:

I had a question about when you are tying the tulle: You said you liked it fuller and did a double layer of tulle. Does this mean you put two pieces together and then tied them togeher, or tied 2 different ones on top of each other? thank you for this, it is a beautiful wreath!

Leigh Ann says:

I found your tutorial on Pinterest and used it to make a Christmas wreath! Come take a look! http://jamesandleighann.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-wreath.html

Tiffany says:

I made a Christmas wreath inspired by this one. Yours is beautiful. I just changed the tulle to red and white and used green ribbon to make flowers. It turned out great! Thanks for the inspiration!

This is so cute!! I’m pinning it and I’m your newest follower!

Nice decorative idea. I bet this is also a great idea for Christmas, just change the color and accessories though. I am excited to try this out!

Stacey L says:

Thank you for the idea, I made one with blue and white tulle and put a football on the bottom with BYU letters. My husband thinks it is cool!

Ashley T says:

OMG! I just finished my wreath and it is Uh-Mazing!!!!! Thanks for the amazing idea!!!

Lauren says:

Cant wait to do this! I am going to do an Easter version, with a very similar layout! Your language and directions are so clear and read so naturally! Fabulous. Thank you.

Tina says:

Love this wreath, have all the tulle, hope it comes as nice…got colors for a fall wreath!! Thanks for the instructions

Jane says:

Have all my things and can’t wait to try this. It is so FAB. Thank you for such great instructions.

Lyndsay says:

Gorgeous!

Mona says:

What is the best way to attach the roses, bird, feathers etc?

Mona says:

ok, I see now = hot glue !
    Thanks! Can’t wait to make this!

Lisa V. says:

hi love the wreath idea. how long did you cut your tulle?

Nicholette says:

I totally fell in love with this wreath when I saw it! So I had to make my own version! Thanks so much for the inspiration, love your blog.

Cherish says:

Just wanted to let you know that I made my own version of your Halloween Wreath. I’m not normally a crafty person, but the wreath looked so cute and easy. I’m glad I decided to make it, turned out great! Thanks!

[...] had this gorgeous tulle Halloween wreath pinned for over 6 months. Last week, I realized Halloween is right around the corner and I could [...]

Yolanda Valenzuela says:

I have finished my own, thanks soooo much for sharing your talents.

[...] sometimes, things come along just when we’re ready to know about them. However it happened, this pretty example popped up in my feeds one day, and right away I wanted to make one like [...]

TX-Christi says:

I was actually pinning something else, got sidetracked–but so glad I did. Hobby Lobby here I come!

TX-Christi says:

Just curious–how many rolls of tulle does it take & what size wreath did you use?

Johanna says:

This is great. Thanks for sharing. I love this idea.

Jill says:

Thanks so much! My wreath turned out awesome and I get so many people asking where I bought it! hee hee hee

fiona says:

Hmmm!!!! this is looking a real gorgeous halloween dress with perfect matching color combination and doesn’t sound bad at all.

Quetta Bess says:

Thank you so much for posting this!

[…] Sara at Our Best Bites can show you how to make a Halloween-themed Tulle Wreath. What a perfect holiday decoration for your front door! Sara can also show you how to decorate your […]

Sheila Allen says:

I love this wreath! I am very interested in how you made your ribbon roses? They look a little different than others I have seen…can you please send me an email and quick tips on how you made them. Did you use the folding method? I am currently making a baby wreath and would SOOOO love to make some flowers like those, I love the vintage two-toned ribbon like that! Love, Love, Love!

Thanks so much!
    Sheila Allen
    sunseteve_65@yahoo.com

Dani says:

Do you have to use a fairly stiff tulle? I was going to make a harvest wreath and bought a bunch of the $1.99 tulle at Jo-anns, but now I’m worried it might be too light and be more flimsy than stick-out-ie.

Candy G says:

Absolutely LOVE the black and purple Halloween wreath. How wide did you cut your tulle strips? I want to go get the stuff tonight – it’s so unique and very classy.
    Thanks!

Beth says:

How long were your lengths of tulle that you cut? I’d rather not take the time and use the materials trying to determine what length to cut. I like how your wreath looks and would like to cut the same lengths that you did. Do you happen to recall? Thanks so much.